NHL 09 CAG Team - CAG Game Night - Fridays @ 10 PM EST

[quote name='Tolmes']GT: II ToLmEs II
# - 20
POS: RW if that guy didn't get it ^^, if he did, I'll be Goalie #2.

Thanks![/quote]

RW is taken I'm just waiting on him to give me a number before I add him to the list. I'll put you down as a goalie.

I downloaded the demo a couple nights ago and just played a couple quick games. I wasn't too impressed because the controls were different from the old PS2 game and I wasn't use to the no speed burst. I was thinking about not getting this game.

But tonight I did the Pro thing and that is awesome. I love the blue arrow that shows you the area you should be in. I feel like it is a team sport now instead of me controlling everyone.

[quote name='Costa']ready to play starting next week[/quote]

Me too! Hopefully...

nhl09rd4.jpg

I want to get this.. I probably will. It's weird using right trigger to pass. I like it a lot, though.

Man, if only it had the opening intros for teams when they come out onto the ice that NHL2K9 has.. I wish EA put some effort into that area..

I haven't played a hockey game in about 4 years and it really shows because I BLOW at this game. Is there anyway to change the controls to player sensitive? For example when I'm traveling to the south goal I have to push my shot stick up then down to do a slap shot (this doesn't feel right to me). But when playing the north goal I push down then up to do my shot. Or maybe there is a camera angle that swings so the camera is behind me and I always appear to be playing the north goal.

So if anyone played last year and has any insight to this I'd love to hear some advice. I don't know hockey that well but why would I use the one hand deak RB+right stick over the regular deak that is easier to do with just the right stick?

Other than those things I really like the game, playing defense is fun and that's probably what I'll be best at since that is where I'm getting the most practice.

I cannot wait....oh wait, I will have to since my 360 just died. I do have it pre-ordered for the 360 though....maybe I should switch to the PS3 now....damn you MS.

[quote name='FrankySox']I haven't played a hockey game in about 4 years and it really shows because I BLOW at this game. Is there anyway to change the controls to player sensitive? For example when I'm traveling to the south goal I have to push my shot stick up then down to do a slap shot (this doesn't feel right to me). But when playing the north goal I push down then up to do my shot. Or maybe there is a camera angle that swings so the camera is behind me and I always appear to be playing the north goal. [/QUOTE]

Its not in the demo probably but there will be plenty of camera options. They should include a "always face up/down" option. I know the games a couple years ago had that because for some reason which I can't remember me and my friend wanted to always go up when on offense.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Its not in the demo probably but there will be plenty of camera options. They should include a "always face up/down" option. I know the games a couple years ago had that because for some reason which I can't remember me and my friend wanted to always go up when on offense.[/quote]Yeah, it's been a camera option for the series. You can set whether the Home or Away teams always face up on offense.

I'm downloading the demo at the moment, and I really hope I don't like it. I can't afford to buy another game! Looks like I might be though..

[quote name='FrankySox']I haven't played a hockey game in about 4 years and it really shows because I BLOW at this game. Is there anyway to change the controls to player sensitive? For example when I'm traveling to the south goal I have to push my shot stick up then down to do a slap shot (this doesn't feel right to me). But when playing the north goal I push down then up to do my shot. Or maybe there is a camera angle that swings so the camera is behind me and I always appear to be playing the north goal. [/quote]

In last years game, in the control options there is a setting to have the shot stick always be up. Meaning you can have it so you push down then up to shoot no matter what direction you are going. And they also had it where you could always go one direction, either up or down, your choice.

[quote name='FrankySox']So if anyone played last year and has any insight to this I'd love to hear some advice. I don't know hockey that well but why would I use the one hand deak RB+right stick over the regular deak that is easier to do with just the right stick?
[/quote]

The one on one deke and one-handed deke allow your player to get around a defender to have a one on one chance with just you and the goalie.

I also haven't played a hockey game in years (sine NHL 2005), and it took a while to adjust (passing with the trigger/bumper? Having the change player and pass button be the same? What debauchery is this? >_

[quote name='moojuice']Is there anyway to knock in a loose puck in the crease?[/quote]

I've noticed it is extremely difficult to shoot loose pucks towards the net. I skate to the puck and try to flick the right stick when I think I'm near enough to the puck to make that sort of action, but I also end up checking mid-air and a defensemen gets control.

[quote name='Scorch']I want to get this.. I probably will. It's weird using right trigger to pass. I like it a lot, though.

Man, if only it had the opening intros for teams when they come out onto the ice that NHL2K9 has.. I wish EA put some effort into that area..[/quote]

I think they do have better team intros but because of the demo size they had to cut them out

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Are there any open spots left? I'd be up for taking a defenseman position.[/QUOTE]

I think just a goalie spot is open if you want that.

I just decided I'll be buying this game tomorrow, so I also would like to know which spots are open. I'm fine with anything.

EDIT: If there is still a defensive spot open, I'll take it. Doesn't matter which side. I'd also like #77.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm buying this tomorrow so if there are any spots open I'd like to get in. I'll play any position but prefer C/W or Defense before Goalie, but if only Goalie is open I'll take that. I'll take #27.

If the defensemen spots are still available I would take one. I don't mind goalie, but I think you guys probably would :). Anytime I used to try controlling goalies in the older games it ended badly.

I just updated the second post with the new team members and sent a PM to Frisky. Also one of the defensive spots are being reserved for Frisky.

[quote name='cubs2321']If the defensemen spots are still available I would take one. I don't mind goalie, but I think you guys probably would :). Anytime I used to try controlling goalies in the older games it ended badly.[/quote]

Both left and right defenseman are open. Just let me know which one you want and also the jersey number.

PA- I assume you will have the game minute one and will set up the team first day out? I'm eager to play and me and my brother will be ready to go Day 1

[quote name='DestroVega']PA- I assume you will have the game minute one and will set up the team first day out? I'm eager to play and me and my brother will be ready to go Day 1[/quote]

I planned on it, but it looks like I'll have it whenever EA decides to ship it to me. I hope to have it by Friday. I think you guys can go ahead and make your players and play games to build your stats in the meantime.

I plan on getting this all set up as soon as I get the game.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']I planned on it, but it looks like I'll have it whenever EA decides to ship it to me. I hope to have it by Friday. I think you guys can go ahead and make your players and play games to build your stats in the meantime.

I plan on getting this all set up as soon as I get the game.[/quote]

ok... how does that work then exactly?

[quote name='DestroVega']ok... how does that work then exactly?[/quote]

One of the videos says that you can join different teams or there is an option that will pair you up with a random team for one game.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']One of the videos says that you can join different teams or there is an option that will pair you up with a random team for one game.[/quote]

ok sweet.... here's hoping you get it ASAP

I'll more than likely get this game...but gonna wait until it's confirmed there's no lag, so that it's actually playable. I'd like to join up at either Left Defense or Goalie.

I would love to join the team as a defenseman if there is still an opening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently the online leagues of last year are gone completely in favor of the EASHL being the only online league mode. Can anyone confirm this?

In addition to that, NHL 09 will boast online leagues, tournaments, and at least one other mystery feature that the producers behind the game are promising will be absolutely massive. Unfortunately, they weren't ready to spill the beans yet, but we'll certainly be on the lookout for exactly what this game-changing revelation will be later in the year. With heavy expectations on the game, our hopes are high for NHL 09, which appears, at least in terms of ambition, to be keeping pace with last year's stellar entry.

The begining of the story was talking about be a pro so I think it will have online leagues that you speak of

I'm getting ready to send out friend requests again using the CAG NHL 09 name. When I go to send invites, this is going to be the easiest way for me to do it. So please accept the friend request or send a request to CAG NHL 09 and I'll accept you as a friend.

[quote name='moojuice']I'll more than likely get this game...but gonna wait until it's confirmed there's no lag, so that it's actually playable. I'd like to join up at either Left Defense or Goalie.[/quote]
*cough*

[quote name='Pure Apathy']I'm getting ready to send out friend requests again using the CAG NHL 09 name. When I go to send invites, this is going to be the easiest way for me to do it. So please accept the friend request or send a request to CAG NHL 09 and I'll accept you as a friend.[/quote]

I look up the CAG NHL 09 GT on my friends list and there's nobody on the friends list there.

[quote name='moojuice']*cough*[/quote]

I'm waiting for you to confirm that you are getting the game for sure before I add you to the list. I also need a number as well.

Also, I may just go ahead and buy the game tomorrow and then take the copy I'm getting in the mail back to the store. I'm going to call EA tomorrow though to see if they know the ETA on my game before I do anything. If I do get the game, I won't be on until after 7 PM CST since I have to work.

Probably going to do the same as Pure Apathy (ordered from Amazon, hasn't shipped yet). Looking forward to it :D

bread's done
Back