NHL 10 Versus League 2.0 - We Made It To Season 2!!! Quack......Quack....Quack...

[quote name='Matt Young']Destro, can you play now, or soon?[/QUOTE]

He's on Xbox Live right now. I hope you are too. Gotta get these games done tonight at all costs.

Nice! Thanks guys for getting those games wrapped up. I know there wasn't much to play for for either of you, but like I said, dropping people could have drastically changed the standings (and possibly knocked me out of the playoffs...lol, and if that had happened, I would have just lost my shit). Now let's see how quick we can buzz through the playoffs. I'm pretty sure each series is a best of 3.

[quote name='Matt Young']Is there any chance of a season 2 for those of us who were unfortunate enough to lose practically every single game by 1 goal?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wouldn't be completely opposed to it. With the Olympics going on, I've been playing NHL a lot more lately, and I still think the game is fun. I just wish more CAGs shared that opinion. Magic and I even would have taken 2 of the 3 games we played, but he had to go midway through the third game, in which we were leading...but we ended up having to take a 3-0 DC loss.

If others would be interested in doing another season and working as hard to get the games played as many have over the past 3-4 days, I'd be find playing through another. It's just tough being the sole motivator.

Well, Ammowasted and I got our games done. First game was really close. Lots of good plays and good goaltending. Bounces just didn't go my way...that's life. Second game, I'm sorry, I'm not happy. Losing by a score of 2 cross creases to 1 legit goal is bullshit. Cross creases are a part of the game, whatever. But when it's the only way you score, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I might as well have started shooting glitch shots. Good luck in the next round.

Well I'm sorry that you feel that way, but what did you expect me to do when both your defencemen are on one of my forwards, leaving my left winger fully open charging the net? And if I remember correct, the first goal I passed to Jason Blake from the blue line with one of my D and he roofed it top corner, hardly a 'glitch' goal.

[quote name='ammowasted']Well I'm sorry that you feel that way, but what did you expect me to do when both your defencemen are on one of my forwards, leaving my left winger fully open charging the net? And if I remember correct, the first goal I passed to Jason Blake from the blue line with one of my D and he roofed it top corner, hardly a 'glitch' goal.[/QUOTE]

If I'm thinking of the same play (dude camped out in front of the net), I think that was your 2nd goal of the first game. I'll admit, my defensemen were playing soft for some reason, but it doesn't change the fact that that was essentially your tactic most of the time.

It's fine, man. I'm not obsessed with this game like I used to be, so I'm not irate over it. It's disappointing, but I just felt that the second game was cheap. Some people just play that way. You also stick lift a lot (and never get called for it). You stick lift and go for cross creases. If there's a negative connotation there, I'm not the one who created it. It is what it is. As I said, good luck in the next round.

I'd be down for joining in if you guys start another season...I've been pretty MIA just playing random OTP games and FIFA.

I'm up for another season, just gotta get my Playoff games going. Let me know when you are ready ajh.

I'd be willing to try for the next season. And Nate, it would be nice if you could revive the NHL team topic before Friday to let everyone know what we're not dead. I redid my stats last night and I'm glad to say they're a lot better than the last setup.

Great games AJH!! First game he beat me 3-1, next game I beat him in overtime and the 3rd I took 4-1. Those games were insane for sure!

[quote name='kazo']Great games AJH!! First game he beat me 3-1, next game I beat him in overtime and the 3rd I took 4-1. Those games were insane for sure![/QUOTE]

Yeah good games I couldnt get anything going after that first game, good luck in the finals. Also can I request a switch from the Blackhawks to the Penguins for next season if they are available.

[quote name='ajh2298']Yeah good games I couldnt get anything going after that first game, good luck in the finals. Also can I request a switch from the Blackhawks to the Penguins for next season if they are available.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I would like the Blue Jackets next go 'round.

Yeah, no problem with switching teams. Anything to give people a desire to play their games, haha. Same with taking in new players. Anybody who actually WANTS to play can play.

I'd like to switch from the Kings Avs that are in the game to the Kings Avs that are playing so well this season. :whistle2:\

Anderson is rated 83? RLY?

Well, as soon as ammowasted and kazo play their 3 game set, we can get started on Season 2. I'd like to strike while the iron is hot and people are still very much into playing, haha.

Okay, sounds great. In the event that we do start soon, I'd like everyone to know in advance that I'll be attending hockey games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, but who knows if we'll even have crowned a champion by then.

Nate, I'll take that Russia national team that we agreed on...
But really, I think i'm going to go with the Canucks this season. And if we do get finished up. I'm throwing the heads up out there that I'm going to be at an outdoor game basically all day Saturday.

[quote name='ammowasted']Hey kazo, when are you free to play?[/QUOTE]

Try sending him a PM, I guess. Not sure how people have been getting in touch with him, but it would be nice to get these games wrapped up.

Just got glitched out of a game with Ammo, skated up to the blue and toe drag wristered it with my player in directly in front of him with 26 seconds left. Its a shitty way to win but from how he played I thought he was better than that. Ah well a win is a win.

We split the series but I was so fucking pissed I broke my controller so I gotta wait til Sunday to finish it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
All right, this is for the issues between ammowasted and kazo.

If you've played this game a lot, but haven't heard of any glitches, you should do a little reading. It's not exactly credible to play the naive card. Just go on Youtube and search for "nhl 10 curve shot". I don't think it's supposed to be quite as bad last year, since I don't see as many people doing it online as I do the deke shot on the short side (which is without question a glitch).

But honestly, the entire definition of glitch is subjective To me, what it boils down to is the effectiveness and consistency of the shot. There shouldn't be a single shot in this game that beats the goalie more than 50% of the time (with the exception of maybe breakaways). But if you do a little research, you'll see that there are shots like that...and there are teams in the EASHL who use them exclusively. And simply, a person's reliance on these shots cheapens the game. It's hard to argue against that.

Obviously, kazo isn't going to be happy about losing in the final minute of the game, but it's hard to know whether his anger was justified. I think the only fair thing to do is gather multiple opinions from the people who have played you to see if there truly is a problem that needs to be addressed. I don't want to say you're starting in a hole, but yeah, when you played me, there were some aspects of your play style that could easily be perceived as "cheap". But I wasn't going to come down on you for one experience.

BUT...if others feel that you resort to unsportsmanlike tactics, your involvement in the league may have to be reconsidered. I don't mean this as an attack on you, and I don't want you to take it as a threat. But I think it's only fair to have everyone weigh in on your play style.

I also think we need to distinguish between doing something once and doing it the entire game. I know I have tried to do a move once or twice and ended up doing something that looked like a glitch attempt (though they never go in). But it's also fairly easy to get a feel for a person and what they're trying to do. If you're having to defend against cheap tactics the entire game, then something definitely needs to be done.

I posted about it in the wrong thread last night, it was late and I was kinda tired, and still kinda pissed about being accused of cheating. After the game, I did go on youtube and google to do a bit of research about this curve shot or whatever you call it. To be honest, I have encountered this kind of shot many times playing online, and it DEFINITELY does not always go in, not even 50% of the time. I know that there was a real problem with it in NHL 09, but I never saw a problem with it in NHL 10. Besides, do we not see in the real NHL these kind of shots where players toe drag and shoot top shelf?

I think if you ask every other person I played against, everyone would agree that there was not one game where I only tried to do a curve shot, or any other kind of glitch. And I'm still not convinced that the curve shot is a glitch, or an exploit, whichever you want to call it, because after another search for NHL 10 glitch goals, I see people bitching and moaning about wraparounds, cross crease goals, curve shots, blah blah blah. What the hell is a legit goal then?

my feeling on that shot, especially in VS play as opposed to OTP, is, hit the guy before he shoots really. OTP is a bit different, it's much harder to contain.

For it to be the "glitch goal" though, your player basically has to pull the puck all the way behind him before shooting. I didn't see anyone do that through the course of this league.

[quote name='ammowasted']I posted about it in the wrong thread last night, it was late and I was kinda tired, and still kinda pissed about being accused of cheating. After the game, I did go on youtube and google to do a bit of research about this curve shot or whatever you call it. To be honest, I have encountered this kind of shot many times playing online, and it DEFINITELY does not always go in, not even 50% of the time. I know that there was a real problem with it in NHL 09, but I never saw a problem with it in NHL 10. Besides, do we not see in the real NHL these kind of shots where players toe drag and shoot top shelf?

I think if you ask every other person I played against, everyone would agree that there was not one game where I only tried to do a curve shot, or any other kind of glitch. And I'm still not convinced that the curve shot is a glitch, or an exploit, whichever you want to call it, because after another search for NHL 10 glitch goals, I see people bitching and moaning about wraparounds, cross crease goals, curve shots, blah blah blah. What the hell is a legit goal then?[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to get the feeling that you're one of those people who doesn't get the point. I agree 100% that people who complain about EVERY scoring scenario are being cry babies, but as I've stated, there are a couple shots in this game that do have an extremely heightened percentage of going in. The reason for this is mostly because the AI (whether defensemen or goalie) does not play their position well enough to defend these shots. They exist. There's no arguing against it.

When you see someone document in a video scoring 6 times in a row, that's proof. When you play against a team online that scores 5 goals in the 1st period on 8 shots, that's proof. Whether or not you see those KINDS of shots in real life is not what makes it a glitch. It's the unrealistic efficiency those shots have. And of course, when you have a shot that has a better chance of going in than other shots, you will get people who take only those kind of shots for the entire game.

I mean, think about it. It makes sense to take the shot that gives you the best chance at scoring, right? But when a person has a means for scoring almost at will, it severely cheapens the game (play more online team play if you're unfamiliar with the experience). I'm still not going to accuse you directly of using these tactics, but again, if others share this opinion, I don't feel that it can be ignored. Like you said though, maybe they don't. But at some point, we all have to be judged by our peers.

[quote name='DestroVega']my feeling on that shot, especially in VS play as opposed to OTP, is, hit the guy before he shoots really. OTP is a bit different, it's much harder to contain.[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely true. It can be defended. But that's not really the issue. I think the main point (and the determining factor for a person's play style) is whether or not they're TRYING to use exploits. Defensible or not, no one in an honest league should be trying to abuse holes in the game. It's just not good sportsmanship. To me, this is like the cross crease situation, and why I had a personal issue with my 2nd game against ammowasted.

I got the impression that he was consciously SEEKING the shot out. Just moving his guys back and forth waiting for the opening to whiz the puck to the guy on the back side of the net. It happened over and over again. And me, knowing that my AI would not stop that play from happening, I was constantly dropping my Center down into the crease, or switching into one of the defensemen to try to guard it.

It's the principle of knowing somebody is trying to take advantage of a cheap goal because the AI doesn't play their position properly. And what makes it stand out to me is the gaudy save percentages. Just like in the OTP games we played last night. There's no reason your goalie should have a save percentage of 60% in a "sim" hockey game. You might as well be playing NHL Hitz. It's just not realistic to score 40% of the time.

And just to gather as much information as possible, I took a look at ammo's recent games history, and I'm not really sure what to make of it. This is what the outcome of his last 20 versus games looks like.

ammowasted1.jpg

ammowasted2.jpg

The amount of disconnects and DNF wins there is a little alarming. Again, I don't want to make any accusations, but the appearance that gives off is that ammo is either making people quit, or he's pulling his connection. Sure, he could just have a shitty internet connection, but the pattern that those past 20 games indicate and the fact that it didn't happen during any league games might suggest otherwise.

Really, all I'd like out of this is an explanation from ammo. Acting defensive, denying that glitches exist, and claiming ignorance isn't going to win many people over. I can say that I have received other complaints about ammo's playstyle from people other than kazo. Let's just sort this situation out so we can move forward.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']This is absolutely true. It can be defended. But that's not really the issue. I think the main point (and the determining factor for a person's play style) is whether or not they're TRYING to use exploits. Defensible or not, no one in an honest league should be trying to abuse holes in the game. It's just not good sportsmanship. To me, this is like the cross crease situation, and why I had a personal issue with my 2nd game against ammowasted.

I got the impression that he was consciously SEEKING the shot out. Just moving his guys back and forth waiting for the opening to whiz the puck to the guy on the back side of the net. It happened over and over again. And me, knowing that my AI would not stop that play from happening, I was constantly dropping my Center down into the crease, or switching into one of the defensemen to try to guard it.

It's the principle of knowing somebody is trying to take advantage of a cheap goal because the AI doesn't play their position properly. And what makes it stand out to me is the gaudy save percentages. Just like in the OTP games we played last night. There's no reason your goalie should have a save percentage of 60% in a "sim" hockey game. You might as well be playing NHL Hitz. It's just not realistic to score 40% of the time.

And just to gather as much information as possible, I took a look at ammo's recent games history, and I'm not really sure what to make of it. This is what the outcome of his last 20 versus games looks like.

ammowasted1.jpg

ammowasted2.jpg

The amount of disconnects and DNF wins there is a little alarming. Again, I don't want to make any accusations, but the appearance that gives off is that ammo is either making people quit, or he's pulling his connection. Sure, he could just have a shitty internet connection, but the pattern that those past 20 games indicate and the fact that it didn't happen during any league games might suggest otherwise.

Really, all I'd like out of this is an explanation from ammo. Acting defensive, denying that glitches exist, and claiming ignorance isn't going to win many people over. I can say that I have received other complaints about ammo's playstyle from people other than kazo. Let's just sort this situation out so we can move forward.[/QUOTE]Of course I'm going to act defensively when I'm being accused of glitching when I haven't been, why wouldn't I? As for my last 20 games, people rage quit all the time. I'm beating them, they don't wanna play, and they leave. That's nothing new to online gaming. As for my disconnects, well I myself rage quit as well. Look at the games where I disconnected, either I was getting my ass handed to me, or I lose by one goal, where it was likely in the third period so I got pissed off and turned my console off.

I never denied the existence of glitches, they do exist, but I do not believe the shot that I took to be one. Maybe it was an issue last year, but it doesn't look to be one this year.

As for the cross crease, I don't even want to discuss that. It's not hard to stop at all, and there is no way at all that is a glitch, exploit or any other kind of whajimacallit. Does it go in alot? Yes. But can I do it at will? Absolutely not, especially if you take the appropriate measures manually with your defense man.

But if other people are complaining about how I play, then whatever, I'll finish up the finals and drop out. One last point, if I really was that cheap a player, would my record not be better than what it is? I'm barely .500 online...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ammowasted']Of course I'm going to act defensively when I'm being accused of glitching when I haven't been, why wouldn't I? As for my last 20 games, people rage quit all the time. I'm beating them, they don't wanna play, and they leave. That's nothing new to online gaming. As for my disconnects, well I myself rage quit as well. Look at the games where I disconnected, either I was getting my ass handed to me, or I lose by one goal, where it was likely in the third period so I got pissed off and turned my console off.

I never denied the existence of glitches, they do exist, but I do not believe the shot that I took to be one. Maybe it was an issue this year, but it doesn't look to be one this year.

As for the cross crease, I don't even want to discuss that. It's not hard to stop at all, and there is no way at all that is a glitch, exploit or any other kind of whajimacallit. Does it go in alot? Yes. But can I do it at will? Absolutely not, especially if you take the appropriate measures manually with your defense man.

But if other people are complaining about how I play, then whatever, I'll finish up the finals and drop out. One last point, if I really was that cheap a player, would my record not be better than what it is? I'm barely .500 online...[/QUOTE]

That's fine. I'm not really interested in arguing about your personal beliefs. I stated numerous times that I wasn't accusing you of anything, and that I just wanted to discuss something that has come up more than once now. And when more than one person brings it up, you have to question its validity. I hope you can understand that.

By your own admission, people "rage quitting" on you is a common occurrence. Personally, I hardly EVER run into versus games where I feel compelled to quit or make the other person want to quit. I think it's a fair question to ask why this happens to you so often. Maybe they're quitting because they feel you're playing cheap? Is it possible? I mean, yeah..they could just be crybabies. But that's a lot of rage quitting. Could there be something more to it?

In the end, yeah, it's a matter of opinion. But, if you're not willing to (or you don't care to) look in the mirror and assess if there's anything you're doing that might rub people the wrong way, then that's just you. But I can promise you that the people you were playing with in this league were making a conscious effort to avoid those "cheap" tactics. And if you don't feel the same way, I hope you can at least recognize how that would give you an advantage.

But whatever. It's not a big deal. I personally don't really care, and I've learned to stop expecting things out of people with this game. Ultimately, EA should have done their job and not made the goalie and defensemen completely inept. That's a fault with the game. But I do hope that you run into more instances of people abusing these various exploits (although I guess you would just rage quit). Maybe eventually you'll feel differently.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']That's fine. I'm not really interested in arguing about your personal beliefs. I stated numerous times that I wasn't accusing you of anything, and that I just wanted to discuss something that has come up more than once now. And when more than one person brings it up, you have to question its validity. I hope you can understand that.

By your own admission, people "rage quitting" on you is a common occurrence. Personally, I hardly EVER run into versus games where I feel compelled to quit or make the other person want to quit. I think it's a fair question to ask why this happens to you so often. Maybe they're quitting because they feel you're playing cheap? Is it possible? I mean, yeah..they could just be crybabies. But that's a lot of rage quitting. Could there be something more to it?

In the end, yeah, it's a matter of opinion. But, if you're not willing to (or you don't care to) look in the mirror and assess if there's anything you're doing that might rub people the wrong way, then that's just you. But I can promise you that the people you were playing with in this league were making a conscious effort to avoid those "cheap" tactics. And if you don't feel the same way, I hope you can at least recognize how that would give you an advantage.

But whatever. It's not a big deal. I personally don't really care, and I've learned to stop expecting things out of people with this game. Ultimately, EA should have done their job and not made the goalie and defensemen completely inept. That's a fault with the game. But I do hope that you run into more instances of people abusing these various exploits (although I guess you would just rage quit). Maybe eventually you'll feel differently.[/QUOTE]
People rage quit because they're losing to me and they feel that they have no way to come back and win, and I rage quit for the same reason.There's no incentive for me to stay in a game where I know I'm going to lose, especially when your record and DNF do not show up to your opponents. There's seriously nothing more to it beyond that. The only reason it shows up is because the game just finishes as a DNF Win unlike a game like Madden, where people quit ALL THE TIME, but you are forced to finish a game to get the win.

[quote name='ammowasted']People rage quit because they're losing to me and they feel that they have no way to come back and win, and I rage quit for the same reason.There's no incentive for me to stay in a game where I know I'm going to lose, especially when your record and DNF do not show up to your opponents. There's seriously nothing more to it beyond that. The only reason it shows up is because the game just finishes as a DNF Win unlike a game like Madden, where people quit ALL THE TIME, but you are forced to finish a game to get the win.[/QUOTE]

No shit people quit because they're losing. That still doesn't answer WHY. Like I said, it doesn't happen to me very often. Why do you play in so many blow out games? You just don't get the point. It's like talking to Roger Clemens. Deny, deny, deny, lol. You can't even acknowledge the POSSIBILITY that SOME people might have the PERCEPTION that the way you play is cheap. You won't even allow that sliver of perspective. But that's fine, man. If you don't think there's anything to it, that's your opinion. Just get the series wrapped up so we can move on.

In the interest of moving on, I propose all glitch talk stops here. Both sides put in their side. Whats done is done, it is what it is, etc, etc.

Lets just move on and get the ball puck rolling.

Well me and Ammo just had the game of damn century lol he beat me 4-3 in a shootout in an amazing amazing game. He played damn good too, great game man.

[quote name='kazo']Well me and Ammo just had the game of damn century lol he beat me 4-3 in a shootout in an amazing amazing game. He played damn good too, great game man.[/QUOTE]

Nice to have it done. Moving on. ammo can stay and defend his title if he chooses to do so. Like I've been trying to keep saying, none of this was meant to be a "lynching" or whatever. Just an understanding of different styles of play.

Regardless of how ANYBODY feels about ammo's playstyle, you're at least familiar with it now, so adapt as needed. I completely understand if he doesn't want to take part in a new season though. I'll be updating the OP with new info and the teams people have chosen to switch to, and we'll go from there. Stay tuned!

ABSOLUTELY INSANE GAME! 0-0 going in to a shootout, and with it tied 3-3 kazo beats me and hits off the crossbar and post...damn that was close. Then I scored and won...but wow what a game.

I'm going to stay and keep playing, I'll stick with the Leafs, but I'll try and change my play style I guess to keep everyone happy. I can't promise I'll change it completely though. Either way, let's just cut the glitch/exploit whatever else talk as moojuice said and get the second season going.

All right, the league has been reset. Glad it worked the way I hoped it would. I wasn't sure if it would remember that ammowasted won last season, but it did. I also removed the people who said they wanted to switch teams, so you can rejoin with your new team. Destro, ajh, and Magic should all have invites.

I wasn't able to send one to Wpark because he's currently not on my friends list, but if he looks at the OP (or asks his brother) he shouldn't have trouble figuring out how to join. Everything else is the same. Same settings. Same series length. We've got 9 teams right now, so that makes for a 16 game season if everybody is able to stick it out. Should be fun. Looking forward to getting started again.

Thank the Hockey Gods that I am looking into getting a new ISP before I rejoin the league. So my warning is that I might be starting late, but I should be able to play whenever I'm on if I can actually get a better connection.

My son would also like to be added if possible as the Blackhawks. His gamertag is "mark331330" and his CAG Username is "Handlovitch4487".

Thanks,
ajh2298

bread's done
Back