Ni No Kuni out January 22, 2013

Um I played the demo and absolutely loved it. Personally I think Jan. 22 can't get here soon enough!

[quote name='TheLongshot']Not sure what people are complaining about either. Really, we only got a taste of the battle system and little else. Personally, I thought the battle system was solid, the look over all pretty good, and I still want the game.[/QUOTE]

My only complaint is that you can't command Oliver to use provisions from the monster menu. It slows the game down.

i played the demo last week and found it enjoyable. really dug the graphics/music/semi-unique battle system. seems like itll have a huge world to explore. i only have 2 complaints, 1 is the overworld camera. 2 is that the story seems like it'll be pretty "kiddie"

im sure i'll get it, probably not at launch though. picked up alot of new games in the past month to keep me occupied. plus im a big level 5 fan. dragon quest 8 is my favorite game ever, but im not a fanboy. i know a dud when they make it. like white knight chronicles. not rogue galaxy though

not by a long shot, crazy people

I'm not sure what they're after but the "let me snatch some of your soul and give it to someone else" bit sounded extremely dark to me, though obviously unintentional given the game's warmth and fuzziness. Just felt way off to me.

There's a new picture on the official website that shows the Wizard's Edition including the ninostarter bonuses.

gOZwizardOvm.jpg

The Japanese version of this game is pretty much a Japanese learner's dream come true: furigana and voice-overs in an RPG. Same goes for the original DS game. I think I might import the All-in-One edition.

[quote name='b3b0p']Level 5 has done what to excite you exactly?

They have done Dragon Quest VIII, IX, and Layton. Everything else is just mediocre.

Dragon Quest is a give me. It's Dragon Quest.

Which leaves Layton as their 1 successful franchise/game. They then milked it.

Ni No has only gotten a luke warm response in Japan. It will be much less here. Xenoblade got great reviews and was on the biggest selling highest penetrating console this generation, yet got a luke warm consumer response. Expect even less for this game.

I remember a similar hype surrounding White Knight.[/QUOTE]

Rogue galaxy I loved on ps2. Quite enjoyed dark cloud as well

[quote name='shadowkast']Rogue galaxy I loved on ps2. Quite enjoyed dark cloud as well[/QUOTE]

Dark Cloud came off as way too unpolished to me at the time. I rented it, returned it, and vowed never to play again.

Rogue Galaxy I never got to play though. Everytime I hear that game or read it I think Star Wars.

Was this demo just insanely bad, or is it just me? I really wanted to like this game and was even considering a rare launch purchase, but the demo was so bad that I am probably never going to buy this game. I died almost instantly when trying to fight the green giant, and when I tried the other one, it was Ok for a while but I don't like how I was constantly being hit while trying to issue commands.

[quote name='SaraAB']Was this demo just insanely bad, or is it just me? I really wanted to like this game and was even considering a rare launch purchase, but the demo was so bad that I am probably never going to buy this game. I died almost instantly when trying to fight the green giant, and when I tried the other one, it was Ok for a while but I don't like how I was constantly being hit while trying to issue commands.[/QUOTE]

See my post, though we didn't like it for different reasons. They didn't give a real tutorial at all, but I figured it out on my own. It was still insanely bad.

I really don't care how kiddie this game looks (In fact, the cuter the better for me) But if the battle system really doesn't give you any time to select what you want to do before you get hit by the enemy then this game will be very bad. I play turn based RPG's for a reason, and that reason is because I completely suck at action games. Not including a brief tutorial here was a big problem. I hate games that have timers, so if the real game has a timer I probably won't even buy it if its $10. Also I don't think this game is going to sell in NA regardless, so it will probably go cheap eventually, if they print enough copies.

So did level 5 manage to make another bad RPG? All these reports on the demo have been terrible. I still want it for the visuals, but JFC how is level 5 still in business with all these awful games?

[quote name='Jodou']So did level 5 manage to make another bad RPG? All these reports on the demo have been terrible. I still want it for the visuals, but JFC how is level 5 still in business with all these awful games?[/QUOTE]

Yup. I think Inazuma 11 and Layton money are subsidizing everything else. Everything else they've made has had abysmal sales for a while. This game bombed in Japan, so did Guild 01, Time Travelers, etc......

The demo was nearly unplayable to me, unless there is something that I am missing or unless this game is just insanely difficult, but really a demo should not be released without a tutorial. Therefore the demo gives me the impression that the real game will be the same way.... aka unplayable, now I have a negative impression of a game I actually wanted to like. I don't spend hours reading about every JRPG to come out to the point where I know how to play it instantly before the demo is even out and with a battle system you need to teach the player how to use it. Even if it was a brief tutorial that would be acceptable.

I do not normally die almost instantly in a JRPG and I haven't yet seen a JRPG where you took damage while choosing the command to attack or defend, I have played many, many JRPG's and based on the demo this is probably the worst I have ever played.

I will probably spend my money on Atelier Meruru or Rune Factory PS3 instead, 2 games I know I will like.

I will give this game a chance though, and I will watch videos and read reviews when it comes out just to make sure it really is as terrible as it seems to be.

Off topic but I am really digging Atelier Rorona, I can't wait to finish it so I can move on to the supposedly superior Totori.

I get that in a lot of ways this is seemingly not the prototypical JRPG, but you guys that kept having trouble getting killed do know that you could move around the battlefield while issuing commands, right? It was pretty simple, move away from enemy, issue command, rinse and repeat.

I will say that my excitement for this game HAS gone down some after the demo. But whatever, bad demos for good games do exist so I'm not worried about canceling my pre-order or anything just yet.

The game looks good, and the combat has potential, but they ruined the demo by making it 1) timed(?!) and 2) threw you into a boss battle without any tutorial for the controls.

I'll wait for this to hit the bargain bin if that's the best they can come up with for a demo...

[quote name='SaraAB']The demo was nearly unplayable to me, unless there is something that I am missing or unless this game is just insanely difficult, but really a demo should not be released without a tutorial. Therefore the demo gives me the impression that the real game will be the same way.... aka unplayable, now I have a negative impression of a game I actually wanted to like. I don't spend hours reading about every JRPG to come out to the point where I know how to play it instantly before the demo is even out and with a battle system you need to teach the player how to use it. Even if it was a brief tutorial that would be acceptable.

I do not normally die almost instantly in a JRPG and I haven't yet seen a JRPG where you took damage while choosing the command to attack or defend, I have played many, many JRPG's and based on the demo this is probably the worst I have ever played.

I will probably spend my money on Atelier Meruru or Rune Factory PS3 instead, 2 games I know I will like.

I will give this game a chance though, and I will watch videos and read reviews when it comes out just to make sure it really is as terrible as it seems to be.[/QUOTE]

I said the same thing in my initial impressions of the demo, that they shouldn't have thrown you into a boss battle without any real tips on how the combat works. Once (or maybe I should say if?) you figure it out, it's very enjoyable.

A good demo can make or break sales. I played the Valkyria Chronicles demo and thought it was crap... but when I actually bought the game later on (after people wouldn't shut up about it), it ended up being one of my favorite games of this generation. This game is going to bomb hard.

The problem is a demo is (should be) designed to hook you from the start, and should be able to hook the player quickly, the only thing this demo does is turn the player off from buying the game. First impressions mean a lot, there are a ton of games being released these days and most gamers can only spend so much on games, so yes, a good demo can make or break sales of a game. We live in a society where instant gratification is everything. Its quite possible a lot of people will play the game and be completely turned off by the demo and never give the game a second thought, and honestly if it wasn't a genre that I like I would probably do exactly that just from playing the demo.

Also if I am paying $40-60 per game I am more likely to stick with a game that I know and one that I know I will like, such as the Atelier or Rune factory series even if the games do have too many games per series.

Demos seem to be a hard thing to get right for a lot of developers, there's actually quite a lot of bad demos out there for really good games. On the flipside, I've even played a few great demos while the actual game turned out absolutely terrible. I think that a lot of devs feel like they HAVE to get something out there this generation especially since consoles are connected to the internet now and can download games(and most of them have demos)...

I'm not sure yet if this has been a good or bad thing for gaming.

But a Demo like Ni no Kuni takes me 2-3 hours to download, it was almost 3GB for just the demo, and it was a bad demo that I played for only a few min. So therefore I am only going to download a demo if its a game I am really interested in or if its a smaller demo that takes less time to download rather than tie up the family internet for 2-3 hours while the demo downloads.

Well, I'm still picking this up since I'm getting it for $50 shipped from Newegg and can always recoup that money if it sucks... will definitely post impressions here.

[quote name='SaraAB']The demo was nearly unplayable to me, unless there is something that I am missing or unless this game is just insanely difficult, but really a demo should not be released without a tutorial. Therefore the demo gives me the impression that the real game will be the same way.... aka unplayable, now I have a negative impression of a game I actually wanted to like. I don't spend hours reading about every JRPG to come out to the point where I know how to play it instantly before the demo is even out and with a battle system you need to teach the player how to use it. Even if it was a brief tutorial that would be acceptable.

I will give this game a chance though, and I will watch videos and read reviews when it comes out just to make sure it really is as terrible as it seems to be.[/QUOTE]

Three words: Resonance of Fate.

Had I went by the JPN demo I would have hated it, hell even initially by spending 5 hours with it (or less) most people gave up on it because of the steep learning curve, while I'll admit it isn't for all people it is one of the best RPG's I've played in years and the ONLY game I've bothered to platinum, I enjoyed it that much.

Now as far as this game, watch videos, reviews, etc. I can understand not wanting to spoil things for yourself, but it's better than having a negative opinion about something you've liked for such a long time, then walk away just because the demo blew. Trust me most demos are not representative of the final product, and I agree they should blow my socks off, but most don't for whatever unfathomable reason, that in all of my gaming years I've not understood one bit.

[quote name='Vinny']I said the same thing in my initial impressions of the demo, that they shouldn't have thrown you into a boss battle without any real tips on how the combat works. Once (or maybe I should say if?) you figure it out, it's very enjoyable.

A good demo can make or break sales. I played the Valkyria Chronicles demo and thought it was crap... but when I actually bought the game later on (after people wouldn't shut up about it), it ended up being one of my favorite games of this generation. This game is going to bomb hard.[/QUOTE]

Sad but true, but more than that, JRPG's just don't have the drawing power they used to have and when diehard fans get a taste of it, only to be severely soured on the brief demo exp. that doesn't bode well for it either.

I'm still getting regardless, I own crappier RPG's that got acclaim
I'm looking at you Crono Cross, and no I don't like it and no I don't care that you do like it, ;)
and I hated and others I loved that got no love at all until way after the fact (my beloved Shadow Hearts series).

And I'm glad to see DoK picking it up, she's out resident critic, even though many of the games she hates, I still like regardless. ;-p :lol:

I downloaded the demo last night. It took forever to download, and then I had to install it, which also took forever. I had to go to bed and let it install over night. Ridiculous, but that's not the game's fault. Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying it out, but have low expectations for the demo due to all the above. The trailer for the game is gorgeous. The art style is fantastic. Kind of reminds me of the look of Grave of the Fireflies. Not that I expect it to feel like that....

I didn't mean it was going to take all night, rather it was taking a long time to install (after a disproportionately long time downloading, and then having to manually start the install) and rather than continuing to wait, I went to bed and let it run.

[quote name='uncle5555']Three words: Resonance of Fate.

Had I went by the JPN demo I would have hated it, hell even initially by spending 5 hours with it (or less) most people gave up on it because of the steep learning curve, while I'll admit it isn't for all people it is one of the best RPG's I've played in years and the ONLY game I've bothered to platinum, I enjoyed it that much.

Now as far as this game, watch videos, reviews, etc. I can understand not wanting to spoil things for yourself, but it's better than having a negative opinion about something you've liked for such a long time, then walk away just because the demo blew. Trust me most demos are not representative of the final product, and I agree they should blow my socks off, but most don't for whatever unfathomable reason, that in all of my gaming years I've not understood one bit.

Sad but true, but more than that, JRPG's just don't have the drawing power they used to have and when diehard fans get a taste of it, only to be severely soured on the brief demo exp. that doesn't bode well for it either.

I'm still getting regardless, I own crappier RPG's that got acclaim
I'm looking at you Crono Cross, and no I don't like it and no I don't care that you do like it, ;)
and I hated and others I loved that got no love at all until way after the fact (my beloved Shadow Hearts series).

And I'm glad to see DoK picking it up, she's out resident critic, even though many of the games she hates, I still like regardless. ;-p :lol:[/QUOTE]

Resonance of Fate sucked. Showed a lot of promise, but also showed tri-Ace still has their heads up their asses. Are they even making games anymore? Haven't heard a peep since I heard they did some work for FF13-2. SO2 and VP1 are two of my favorite games of all time.

Thanks for the props though. :p

RoF was ass. Game world was completely skeletal and the hex dungeons were absolutely heinous. I can name a lot of "great" games if we simply go by battle system concepts, but it takes much more to make an actual RPG experience work.

[quote name='62t']Sadly Resonance of Fate probably isn't Tri-Ace worst game this generation.[/QUOTE]

A better question to ask would what's Tri-Ace made this generation that is good?

[quote name='Mixer236']I get that in a lot of ways this is seemingly not the prototypical JRPG, but you guys that kept having trouble getting killed do know that you could move around the battlefield while issuing commands, right? It was pretty simple, move away from enemy, issue command, rinse and repeat. [/QUOTE]
Also collect those orbs drippy throws out and go into defense before a special attack comes your way. I didn't enjoy the demo during my 1st playthrough but it wasn't until the 2nd playthrough the battle system started to click for me.

[quote name='Vinny']A better question to ask would what's Tri-Ace made this generation that is good?[/QUOTE]

I am not even sure they made a good game last gen. Star Ocean 3 and Valkyrie Profile 2 are inferior to their predecessor.

[quote name='62t']Sadly Resonance of Fate probably isn't Tri-Ace worst game this generation.[/QUOTE]

Hell I think it was their BEST game this gen. They haven't been good since the PS1 era.

I can't believe how many ppl hate the demo. Maybe it's cause I watched that video first, but I found the familiar use quite intriguing. Then again the demo just throws u n & says good luck. I suggest everyone at least watch a battle on YouTube before playing first it will greatly sway your opinion

[quote name='NonShalant']I can't believe how many ppl hate the demo. Maybe it's cause I watched that video first, but I found the familiar use quite intriguing. Then again the demo just throws u n & says good luck. I suggest everyone at least watch a battle on YouTube before playing first it will greatly sway your opinion[/QUOTE]

No, I got the hang of it and it was still kinda bad. Reserving full judgment for the full game though.

The battle system doesn't really click until you realize that you have to move around collecting the baubles, cancel-out of actions if need be, and switch members accordingly but, unfortunately, being thrown headfirst into a boss battle doesn't give people time to figure that out.

You almost have to playthrough the first slice of the demo several times while learning the basics of being good at combat in order to appreciate the second slice of the demo where your combat options are more fleshed-out.

It's still a mediocre demo at best but between Level-5 and Studio Ghibli nothing could stop me from pre-ordering this.

[quote name='whoknows']I didn't have any problems beating the demo, I didnt die once. I just found the battle system to be slow and boring.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, playing part 2 of the demo I was done with the game by the time I got to the boss battle. Simple turn based is more exciting than this smh.

Personally I loved the combat of the game. A bit of a learning curve but I really never played a jrpg.

That art style has me hooked.

Can't wait for my us collectors edition to come in..

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Resonance of Fate sucked. Showed a lot of promise, but also showed tri-Ace still has their heads up their asses. Are they even making games anymore? Haven't heard a peep since I heard they did some work for FF13-2. SO2 and VP1 are two of my favorite games of all time.

Thanks for the props though. :p[/QUOTE]

Your welcome, your nothing if not blunt and truthful when you hate something. But at least your honest. ;) And you are right about the last story, game is just too weird and out there to be great.

[quote name='panzerfaust']RoF was ass. Game world was completely skeletal and the hex dungeons were absolutely heinous. I can name a lot of "great" games if we simply go by battle system concepts, but it takes much more to make an actual RPG experience work.[/QUOTE]

Wow tough crowd. :lol: :wave: A crowd with questionable taste though ;) :lol:

I'd argue to any of you the story was good by characterization if nothing else. And the battle system was fresh, deep (if you learned how to use it properly which most of the people who hated it, never bothered to learn it) and the music was excellent as well.
And Crono Cross still sucks balls. :lol: Sorry had too....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqqpj8uZyWk

If you didn't laugh while watching that you might want to see if you still are alive or have a soul, that's one of the oddest, yet wackiest things I've ever seen in an RPG and Nolan North nails the absurdity, plus seeing cool as ice Vashyron doing something that goofy just rocks. One more reason to love that game.

And I'm not all about Tri-Ace love, Infinite Undiscovery, now that sucked, not sure what they were thinking when they came up with that one. SO3's battle system based on that gem grid....ummm why?

And someone actually hated VP2, I thought it was a nice transition from 2D to 3D for that series. Good story, voice acting, new and different battle system, beautiful gfx and good music. Sounds like why I personally play RPG's dunno, 'bout some of you others from they way I'm reading the posts.

Anyway back on topic.

I watched all two hours of the video, and honestly thought it was a nice throw back to older RPG's with a whimsical story, that wasn't one of the contrived boy saves world or the princess or some other oft told tale.

My only issue is that they started to talk smack about Blue Dragon, I know that game has issues, but it's old school, co-developed by some of the guys who did Shadow Hearts, and plays like a old school RPG, which I found to be very refreshing (and the main character is voiced by the gal who did Brave Fencer Musashi)

I'll be grabbing Ni No Kuni, there is enough content to make me happy and the battle system is what it is, wouldn't be the first time I'd enjoy something that others didn't. ;)

I haven't tried it yet, but my 11 (almost 12) year old tried the demo and liked it. The game looks gorgeous, for sure. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try out the demo soon.

bread's done
Back