Ni No Kuni out January 22, 2013

Installing now. Unfortunately I wont be able to play much until I get off work. Oh well...

Anyone have an idea as about how long the game is? I've also been hearing the game is a little on the difficult side.

installing now. have all day to play, pretty excited. in response to above comment. the only thing I've read that comes off as difficult is the reliance of using the defensive option ( which i never use in rpgs).

also 40-50 hours us the first few reports I've read. which probably means 60-70 hours for me (i like to take my time in pretty and detailed games)

I picked up my pre-order from gamestop about an hour ago. They had about 13 steelcases and the guy told me 11 of them were for pre-orders. I was surprised that they had so many. I asked him if I could check the other ones out since I read on the forums that some were coming scratched and dented. Sure enough every one of the cases were either scratch and/or dented. The guy was nice enough to let me pick the least damged out of the worst. No clue why none of them did not come wrapped in plastic. Hopefully the ones being shipped out to people come out ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='district_9000']Should I be expecting a delivery confirmation for the wizard edition? Never dealt
with digital river before.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping I get my order confirmation too.
This waiting is killer.

so with this the guy at my GS said Tales of Xillia is coming out this year. put 5 on it incase there is swag with it. hoping for a steelcase with that one.

Wont be able to play until the weekend wife is super excited for the game so she wants to watch me play it.

[quote name='cabhills']I picked up my pre-order from gamestop about an hour ago. They had about 13 steelcases and the guy told me 11 of them were for pre-orders. I was surprised that they had so many. I asked him if I could check the other ones out since I read on the forums that some were coming scratched and dented. Sure enough every one of the cases were either scratch and/or dented. The guy was nice enough to let me pick the least damged out of the worst. No clue why none of them did not come wrapped in plastic. Hopefully the ones being shipped out to people come out ok.[/QUOTE]
same here with the scratches on the steelbook, but still pretty excited to play the game

I'm in about 1-2hrs. So far it's good but it's too early to tell. Right now there's one thing that annoys me.

They use "ours, yours, you're, etc" as ouers, youers, etc. I have it on JPN audio w/english subs.

[quote name='Psykodelik']I'm in about 1-2hrs. So far it's good but it's too early to tell. Right now there's one thing that annoys me.

They use "ours, yours, you're, etc" as ouers, youers, etc. I have it on JPN audio w/english subs.[/QUOTE]

I've noticed that too but only when Drippy talks. I think it's because the subtitles are literally what he says with his Scottish accent.

I was only able to play an hour. I can already see the first boss from the demo coming up soon.

I normally dont pay full price on a brand new game, but this is one of the few I could make an exception for. I want to see Ni No Kuni be successful besides, it's a 60+ hour game, I'm sure I'll get my money's worth.

[quote name='YBX87']same here with the scratches on the steelbook, but still pretty excited to play the game[/QUOTE]

Guess my question got answered because I thought I was the only 1 who found it odd that the steelbook didn't come in plastic like the FIFA one did.

Most steelbooks come damaged. Actually, all of them from what I've seen.

I'm playing right now. I'm glad Japanese is audio option though I have to say I might change it to English. None of the characters, at least so far, are Japanese, so hearing them speak it while they look nothing of the sort is throwing me off hardcore.

has anyone received the griffy preorder from amazon? does it come with the game or is it emailed? my game has arrived at my house but i havent opened it yet so i want to know if i should contact customer service.

[quote name='swizzy']has anyone received the griffy preorder from amazon? does it come with the game or is it emailed? my game has arrived at my house but i havent opened it yet so i want to know if i should contact customer service.[/QUOTE]

2 days after it ships

Just a confirmation for those wondering about the Wizard's Edition. My credit card was charged today, so probably won't receive the game until next week. Namco's site says it is boxed and ready for shipment.

[quote name='swizzy']has anyone received the griffy preorder from amazon? does it come with the game or is it emailed? my game has arrived at my house but i havent opened it yet so i want to know if i should contact customer service.[/QUOTE]

I got the email with the preorder code from Amazon right at midnight (Pacific). The game came just now.

[quote name='Vinny']I've noticed that too but only when Drippy talks. I think it's because the subtitles are literally what he says with his Scottish accent.[/QUOTE]

This is correct. Noticed it in the demo too. Unless something changed, it's transcribed normally for everyone else.

[quote name='remag']Someone post if they get a shipping confirmation from digital river please.[/QUOTE]

I haven't received shipping info yet on my Wizard's Edition, but Digital River charged my card today. I'm amazed they didn't do this last week so we'd at least receive it somewhat close to release day... :/

I played for around 1 hour....

The art/animation/color are eye popping beautiful. The start of the game is pretty sad, but its to get the player emotionally involved in the character, and I love it. The music is fantastic also, perfect fit for the world. I rarely ever finish a game this generation, but I know for a fact, I will complete this game.

side note: I was put off by the Demo also, but I am happy that I did not let that detour me from picking up the game.

P.S My girlfriend doesent play games nor does she watch me game, but once she heard Drippy's Scottish ascent (She is from Scotland), she became interested and watching me play Ni No Kuni now. She also said "wow this game looks similar to the animated movie Ponyo, did the same people make this?" This game is a perfect example of how well a distinct art style can translate to a videogame.

Emailed, I received mine earlier today.

[quote name='Tiny Gallon']Instead of a shipping confirmation from Digital River - I just got a cancellation

The order was so old, my payment method has changed, and of course got declined. No chance to fix it, just an automated email saying it was cancelled.

I REALLY wish they could have charged at time of purchase.. Rather than wait 7 months and then try and charge the same Card. What a complete joke. Oh well, guess I'll buy it for $20 in a few months

Here's what they sent me:
--------------
"We’re sorry but your order for Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch – Wizard’s Edition could not be processed. The credit card on file could not be authorized for payment. As a result, your order has been cancelled.

Unfortunately due to the limited nature of this product, it is no longer available for purchase.

Please note: This email message was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message."[/QUOTE]

The post by GeorgeCostanza in the thread below says that you may be able to still get the Wizard's Edition. It's worth a shot.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336502&page=13

[quote name='io']I got the email with the preorder code from Amazon right at midnight (Pacific). The game came just now.[/QUOTE]
Sigh, I get the feeling I'm going to have to email them about this as well. So tired of having to keep on Amazon about promotions; they really suck.

[quote name='Tuxedo38']The post by GeorgeCostanza in the thread below says that you may be able to still get the Wizard's Edition. It's worth a shot.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336502&page=13[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Yes I actually just placed another new order for the Wizard's Edition thanks to that post.

Already regretting it, however. First, because they accidentally charged me for 2 of them. So my bank account is now dangerously low (they promised to fix this).. And secondly, the Hardcover Strat guide actually looks cooler than the Companion Guide (in my opinion, having never seen either of them).

[quote name='Jodou']Sigh, I get the feeling I'm going to have to email them about this as well. So tired of having to keep on Amazon about promotions; they really suck.[/QUOTE]
yea, i think i am too. ill wait till tomorrow when i come home from school till i contact them.

lol I knew I should of bought the guide a few weeks ago when I preordered the game from the,, I just put an order for it, says with my Prime 2 day delivery, it will arive between Feb 22-March 25

Side note: I had no intention of getting guide because thats an $85 investment on a game (Game+Guide). I got the game today, and been playing it non stop, just a gorgouse RPG. I now want the guide since it has 50+ pages of art and interviews, and I really want to support the developer, since creating a sequel to Ni no Kuni is dependent on the success to the game in the states according to the creator.

I was wondering why you guys were talking about the guide... didn't realize it sold out. It was in stock a few days ago, wasn't it? I'm kinda surprised it sold out but this game seems like it'll be HUGE.

I'm about 2.5 hours in and I'm starting to like it. The combat is definitely challenging but very fun.

My only complaint so far is that it's very difficult to avoid enemies. It seems like once they spot you, you have to fight. This is especially annoying with weak enemies.

Having lived in Detroit for most my life I'm pretty sure that's what motorville is supposed to be based off. hell they both have the same freeway (I-75]

[quote name='Vinny']I was wondering why you guys were talking about the guide... didn't realize it sold out. It was in stock a few days ago, wasn't it? I'm kinda surprised it sold out but this game seems like it'll be HUGE.

I'm about 2.5 hours in and I'm starting to like it. The combat is definitely challenging but very fun.

My only complaint so far is that it's very difficult to avoid enemies. It seems like once they spot you, you have to fight. This is especially annoying with weak enemies.[/QUOTE]

The weaker enemies run away once they spot me and my familiar Mite, so once you get so much stronger then them, they will spot you and run away from you and dissapear (Ruff and Jabber enemies due that currently) Both me and my familiar Mite are lvl 7, but I do have Mite yoked up on sweets which gives him a boost to his attributes +2 Atk (33 atk) +1 Def (29 def) +1 Mag Def (26 Mag Def) +3 Accuracy (35 Accuracy). Basically what I am saying is I dont know if they run based on your lvl (Oliver or Familiars) or your actual familiar stats or possibily how many times you killed that particular enemy since they keep track of that in your Wizards Companion book.

Any how I am loving this game, I thought the young kid main character could of turned me off of this game, but Oliver is actually a pretty good character, and I hear some complain about the voice actor for Oliver, but I think the voice fits the character very well.

Another thing I am enjoying is the Merit card system (Side Quest/Help wanted/Bounty board), Each sidequest you complete will reward different amount of stamps on your Merit card (Think of it like a frequent buyers card from subway, where they punch a hole in your card with each sub you buy, and on your 10th one, you get a free sub). Once you fill out a Merit card (12 stamps, so on avg 4-6 side quest), you complete a card, and can start filling out another card. You can exchange your completed merit cards for rewards such as Make sneaking up on enemies easier.

I still have only one Familiar, and cant wait to obtain others and also evolve them (wow haven't thought of this aspect since I played Pokemon Red and Blue in middle school) Plethora of secrets to uncover in this game, The first city alone had around 8 lol.

[quote name='Romeo']Did anyone get their amazon DLC yet?[/QUOTE]

Nope, but I read the Amazon DLC familiar is an exclusive, so yep looks like I am going to sell mine to someone on CAG, so anyone interested let me know.

[quote name='Poor2More']The weaker enemies run away once they spot me and my familiar Mite, so once you get so much stronger then them, they will spot you and run away from you and dissapear (Ruff and Jabber enemies due that currently) Both me and my familiar Mite are lvl 7, but I do have Mite yoked up on sweets which gives him a boost to his attributes +2 Atk (33 atk) +1 Def (29 def) +1 Mag Def (26 Mag Def) +3 Accuracy (35 Accuracy). Basically what I am saying is I dont know if they run based on your lvl (Oliver or Familiars) or your actual familiar stats or possibily how many times you killed that particular enemy since they keep track of that in your Wizards Companion book.

Any how I am loving this game, I thought the young kid main character could of turned me off of this game, but Oliver is actually a pretty good character, and I hear some complain about the voice actor for Oliver, but I think the voice fits the character very well.

Another thing I am enjoying is the Merit card system (Side Quest/Help wanted/Bounty board), Each sidequest you complete will reward different amount of stamps on your Merit card (Think of it like a frequent buyers card from subway, where they punch a hole in your card with each sub you buy, and on your 10th one, you get a free sub). Once you fill out a Merit card (12 stamps, so on avg 4-6 side quest), you complete a card, and can start filling out another card. You can exchange your completed merit cards for rewards such as Make sneaking up on enemies easier.

I still have only one Familiar, and cant wait to obtain others and also evolve them (wow haven't thought of this aspect since I played Pokemon Red and Blue in middle school) Plethora of secrets to uncover in this game, The first city alone had around 8 lol.[/QUOTE]

Level might play a role. You're much higher level than I am. I'm on level 6 and I have noticed that weak enemies seem to be easier to avoid now, at least.

I also just got my second familiar... but stopped playing. He starts off on level 1 though so I hope he still gets experience without actually fighting.

Welp looks like Im selling my Amazon Griffy familiar because if the other two DLC familiars are any indication....

These are what the DLC familiars have sold so far on Ebay (listings completed)

Flutterby (Best Buy exclusive) $30
Gold Hurley (Collector Guide DLC) $40
Griffy (Amazon exclusive) ??? (No listings on ebay at all)

so Im pretty sure Amazon hasent sent DLC yet.

[quote name='Vinny']Level might play a role. You're much higher level than I am. I'm on level 6 and I have noticed that weak enemies seem to be easier to avoid now, at least.

I also just got my second familiar... but stopped playing. He starts off on level 1 though so I hope he still gets experience without actually fighting.[/QUOTE]

You got your second familiar? hmmm I still do not have a second one yet

Im at
Ding Dong Dell, and just gave the Meowjesty his enthusium back, so I guess I get a familair after this?

I picked up my copy today at GS. About to walk out the door & ask for possible bonus Artbook come with it or not? The guy look up "said no such thing art book" then look up i did not qualify for steel case either ( I pre-ordered my copy 2 weeks ago). He took the steelcase and begin ass hole. Yes, i returned the game in the spot. I'll waits for it go down under $20 now.

[quote name='Poor2More']Nope, but I read the Amazon DLC familiar is an exclusive, so yep looks like I am going to sell mine to someone on CAG, so anyone interested let me know.[/QUOTE]

Or you can give it to a friend or fellow CAG'er. I'm looking for that one.

[quote name='Masterkyo']I picked up my copy today at GS. About to walk out the door & ask for possible bonus Artbook come with it or not? The guy look up "said no such thing art book" then look up i did not qualify for steel case either ( I pre-ordered my copy 2 weeks ago). He took the steelcase and begin ass hole. Yes, i returned the game in the spot. I'll waits for it go down under $20 now.[/QUOTE]

damn that was shitty move by him, why dident he just give you a steel case? if he says you dident preorder in time, why should that matter, if they had enough for the preorders, aint like their going to sell the steel books down the road.

[quote name='Masterkyo']I picked up my copy today at GS. About to walk out the door & ask for possible bonus Artbook come with it or not? The guy look up "said no such thing art book" then look up i did not qualify for steel case either ( I pre-ordered my copy 2 weeks ago). He took the steelcase and begin ass hole. Yes, i returned the game in the spot. I'll waits for it go down under $20 now.[/QUOTE]
i thought the steelbook bonus was on a first come, first serve for those who preorder, and pick up their game at gamestop? i preordered about 2 weeks ago too, and i got my steelbook. sorry to hear that, lol i doubt you will ever preorder at gamestop after this experience

Im a few hours in and having a blast, just got my second familiar, Im at
"Ding Dong well, where a pussy once fell" pretty funny

[quote name='Poor2More']You got your second familiar? hmmm I still do not have a second one yet

Im at
Ding Dong Dell, and just gave the Meowjesty his enthusium back, so I guess I get a familair after this?
[/QUOTE]

You're real close.

I'm just leaving Ding Dong Dell and I'm not sure if I'm just missing it or what, but is there a place to buy bread, sandwiches, or any other HP/MP boosts?

I burned through a few of them because I completely wasted my MP while not understanding how torches worked (not a spoiler). I've only found them in battles and inside of pots so far.

[quote name='Tuxedo38']You're real close.

I'm just leaving Ding Dong Dell and I'm not sure if I'm just missing it or what, but is there a place to buy bread, sandwiches, or any other HP/MP boosts?

I burned through a few of them because I completely wasted my MP while not understanding how torches worked (not a spoiler). I've only found them in battles and inside of pots so far.[/QUOTE]

The old lady -Hootique store (The one who makes you clothes) sells HP/MP restore items in Ding Dong Dell.

[quote name='YBX87']poor2more, is the combat system complicated?[/QUOTE]

Not really complicated at all, just took me an hour to be fluid in combat (using L1 button to switch party members and familiars out of battle on the fly while using directional pad to select them. Once that became natural to me, the battle system was buttery smooth. The combat system might seem simple at first but after you gain another familiar to your party, and have different strength/element weaknesses, you will become very creative and know when and what familar to swap in the heat of battle, so plenty of strategy will defintly be welcomed. I am really enjoying the combat system alot, feels nice and fresh, while oddly still having a classic turn base feel to it even know its an action battle system.

Well its 3am here, Ni No Kuni game kept me up way later then I expected, game is pretty addicting, havent enjoyed an RPG like this since Lost Odyssesy. Yes this game has a RPG golden era (SNES & PSX) feel to it for sure, I mean come on it has a freakin World Map that you can actually travel on, I cant remember the last time I seen one of these in a RPG, and that makes me love it even more.

So why isn't anyone talking about this spectacular game? It's been out for a day now! Or is everyone lost in its glory?

[quote name='Romeo']So why isn't anyone talking about this spectacular game? It's been out for a day now! Or is everyone lost in its glory?[/QUOTE]

1) People avoid threads until they finish for spoiler reasons.

2) It's only the day after release. Not everybody has a copy yet, such as people who only ordered the Wizard Edition.

bread's done
Back