Ni No Kuni out January 22, 2013

[quote name='crunchewy']How necessary is the guide for this game? $60 is bad enough. But $60 + the guide is even worse.[/QUOTE]

I honestly just use the Internet or GameFAQs forums when I have a question on where or how to obtain something in game. This game seems like the guide will be pretty useful because secrets/treasure/hidden locations are scattered throughout this game, close to 400 Familiars to obtain (gotta catch'em all right)
The book is nearly 400 pages, hard bound texture lifted cover, 50 pages of exclusive art and interviews from the developers of Ni No Kuni. It also comes with Golden Hurley DLC, which runs around $30-$40 on eBay. I sold my DLC to another fourm site member for $20 so that's paid off my guide completely.

Also some of these hard bound collector guides become rare and can easily fetch what you paid or even double down the road.

Why would somebody pay $30 to $40 for a DLC item that comes with a $22 guide? Boggles the mind. But good point. Unfortunately amazon is now out of stock. Hopefully they get it back in stock. I'll sell the DLC too.

I too have 2 familiars and am heading to the Desert, level 10. I see a spot for a 3rd familiar, so that opens up good options during battle for weakness/strong vs familiar. But I'm worried only the 3 equipped will level up. That could be a real pain later on when you get a new familiar and don't really know it's true stats because it's 10-20 levels under.

Another annoying thing could be familiar fullness level, does that ever go down? I was feeding some treats that only gave 1 bonus to stat until I found some milk chocolate and that gives 2 bonus to stat, with same fullness value. So wait for higher quality treats to feed?

Loving the game. Walking around in Motor-ville felt like something I haven't done in years, SNES era, in a good way. Then Ni No Kuni overworld is cool, I already got the stamp perk to move around faster in overworld, and harvest more items.

The cutscenes that transition to actual Studio Ghibli footage works well, because the in-game art style is very similar, props to Level 5. I can see a grand storyline unfolding, and I don't think it will disappoint.

I got my shipping notice for my Wizard Edition so I can finally focus on this... too bad I've been packed with work today (and will be tomorrow) and haven't gotten much time to play it.

Are you guys doing the quests by chance? I did the first 3 quests and the bounty, and they weren't too time consuming but weren't all that much fun either.

[quote name='Vinny'] Are you guys doing the quests by chance? I did the first 3 quests and the bounty, and they weren't too time consuming but weren't all that much fun either.[/QUOTE]

I've been doing them as soon as they are available. Although they are pretty bland (so far), the perks you can redeem have been very useful especially the increased chance to surprise attack enemies.

[quote name='Vinny']I got my shipping notice for my Wizard Edition so I can finally focus on this... too bad I've been packed with work today (and will be tomorrow) and haven't gotten much time to play it.

Are you guys doing the quests by chance? I did the first 3 quests and the bounty, and they weren't too time consuming but weren't all that much fun either.[/QUOTE]

I'm about 10 hours in and they start to get more time consuming. One that I'm doing is essentially broken into three parts (finding someone, using your locket, and fetch quest). I do think the fetch quest also involves a bounty, so I should be able to do a two for one.

I also have one that requires me to tame creatures, which should be fun.

The rewards you earn from doing them are definitely worth your while.

Yeah, I had a bit of trouble with one of these early ones. I had to find some stupid forest kid... and there was no clear indication where the forest entry was. But I finished all of them in Ding Dong Dell, and use one card for the faster running on the world map (very useful). I finished most of the second forest and got familiar #3.

The battle theme is getting kinda annoying.

Just played the game for like 12 hours straight (have 3 days off work) and I'm loving the Dragon Quest VIII vibe. Really hope this sells well so maybe we can get more like it. 3rd town spoilers...
I was totally unprepared for the genie fight before getting the Alchemy cauldron. Was not expecting to face a boss at that point and barely scraped by with just Esther left.

[quote name='Killbomb']Just played the game for like 12 hours straight (have 3 days off work) and I'm loving the Dragon Quest VIII vibe. Really hope this sells well so maybe we can get more like it.
I was totally unprepared for the genie fight before getting the Alchemy cauldron. Was not expecting to face a boss at that point and barely scraped by with just Esther left.
[/QUOTE]

there is a good chance, alot of good reviews on the game. from the bestbuy site, it is sold out online

[quote name='YBX87']there is a good chance, alot of good reviews on the game. from the bestbuy site, it is sold out online[/QUOTE]

I didn't think it would sell well after that atrocious demo but things are looking up. It's probably selling well at GS too, thanks to the steelbook.

[quote name='Vinny']I didn't think it would sell well after that atrocious demo but things are looking up. It's probably selling well at GS too, thanks to the steelbook.[/QUOTE]

yeah, maybe if this game does well in terms of sales. it will increase the chances of actually bringing more jrpgs into states. Even gamestops website is sold out for now, it says backordered. lol

People still waiting for your wizard edition, digital river & namco have heard the out cry for the shipping situation and made a FAQ about it.

http://namcobandaigames.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13045&sid=8f0be96f8da557d5cb09bb52cde3447a

[quote name='crunchewy']Argh. You people are making me seriously consider spending the $60 for this game. Damn you! :)[/QUOTE]

Well I'll ask this, how old are you? If you're over 25 and have played JRPGs before, you NEED Ni No Kuni.

Btw if anyone has the amazon DLC I am looking for it, please let me know!

I'm, sadly, well over 25. LOL. However I don't have a history with JRPGs. So I'm not 100% sure I'm going to love it, but I do absolutely love the art style and the promise.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm, sadly, well over 25. LOL. However I don't have a history with JRPGs. So I'm not 100% sure I'm going to love it, but I do absolutely love the art style and the promise.[/QUOTE]

you only live once, lol might as well take the risk/ plunge

I don't know if I'd call this game very friendly to newcomers. It's definitely not advanced, but the game does have numerous aspects to it.

[quote name='Vinny']I don't know if I'd call this game very friendly to newcomers. It's definitely not advanced, but the game does have numerous aspects to it.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely not final fantasy 13 easy but it is pretty simple and it does have an easy mode for players wanting to enjoy more of the story. It also tells you exactly where to go, so you won't be lost on what to do for the next objective.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']It's definitely not final fantasy 13 easy but it is pretty simple and it does have an easy mode for players wanting to enjoy more of the story. It also tells you exactly where to go, so you won't be lost on what to do for the next objective.[/QUOTE]

and just be a few character levels ahead of what's in the area and you should be fine (normal difficulty,easy should be cake then)

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']It's definitely not final fantasy 13 easy but it is pretty simple and it does have an easy mode for players wanting to enjoy more of the story. It also tells you exactly where to go, so you won't be lost on what to do for the next objective.[/QUOTE]

That's true. The game does ease you into things, even if there's a lot to take it.

Plus, it looks insanely good.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']It's definitely not final fantasy 13 easy[/QUOTE]

Didn't think FF13 was all that easy...

In any case, my 6 year old son is playing it right now at home, so it is probably is relatively simple, but I think it is fun.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Didn't think FF13 was all that easy...

In any case, my 6 year old son is playing it right now at home, so it is probably is relatively simple, but I think it is fun.[/QUOTE]

FF13 was very easy until close too end an those extra bosses just hated the fast mode gameplay i enjoyed slowly planing my moves

[quote name='TheLongshot']Didn't think FF13 was all that easy...

In any case, my 6 year old son is playing it right now at home, so it is probably is relatively simple, but I think it is fun.[/QUOTE]

I meant easy to get into and the simplicity of it. There were no off paths and most of the strategy was just holding x and to know when to class switches. The only hard or annoying part was the leveling up and long battles to get to their break point.

It isn't super easy but easy enough to understand for a newbie. I think I'm just pissin on it because it took away all the fun I had with the old FF lol.

Sold out at all my local Best Buys :(

Didn't want to deal with such a large digital install so I just sucked it up and picked it up at Gamestop. First time in awhile I have payed full MSRP and felt no regrets. Now I need to figure out how to start this game without it making me forget that my backlog even exists...

[quote name='DemonsMaster']Sold out at all my local Best Buys :(

Didn't want to deal with such a large digital install so I just sucked it up and picked it up at Gamestop. First time in awhile I have payed full MSRP and felt no regrets. Now I need to figure out how to start this game without it making me forget that my backlog even exists...[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much what happened to me. I even had to try a few Gamestops. This game wasn't anywhere near me.

It's an odd place to be in in that there are really good and solid JRPGs out there this gen and especially on handhelds but this really feels like a return to form for long-time fans of the genre.

This game, in particular, feels like a mainstream milestone to show to people who aren't fans of JRPGs but are fans of Western RPGs and say: "Hey, I love Western stuff too but this is what I grew-up on and this is why I love RPGs the world-over to this day!"

While this gen has definitely been a lot dryer for JRPGs than last gen, there have still been some great ones released (with the two best being Xenoblade and Vesperia imo). So I wouldn't really call this a return to form for the genre, but it IS a return to form for Level-5 on consoles. This game feels like the natural follow-up to their best PS2 games, Dragon Quest 8 & Dark Cloud 2. I'm extremely glad to see them back in action, since they were one of my favorite developers on the PS2.

[quote name='argyle']While this gen has definitely been a lot dryer for JRPGs than last gen, there have still been some great ones released (with the two best being Xenoblade and Vesperia imo). So I wouldn't really call this a return to form for the genre, but it IS a return to form for Level-5 on consoles. This game feels like the natural follow-up to their best PS2 games, Dragon Quest 8 & Dark Cloud 2. I'm extremely glad to see them back in action, since they were one of my favorite developers on the PS2.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there have been some good JRPGs this gen. The two you mentioned plus I would add Lost Odyssey and Star Ocean 4 to the list off the top of my head with LO probably being my favorite followed by Vesperia.

It is good to see Level 5 back in form on consoles. I remember being excited for White Knight Chronicles and then barely playing it due to the online focus and overall "blah" gameplay.

[quote name='Romeo']
Btw if anyone has the amazon DLC I am looking for it, please let me know![/QUOTE]

Ah if I would've saw this earlier I wouldn't have put my code up on ebay without checking with you first. While awesome-looking, Griffy wasn't badass enough for me to not try to get $20-$30 for him on ebay which is what they are going for right now. I might be able to pay for the strategy guide and part of the game with just griffy lol.

On a side note, I'm only about 2 hrs into the game but so far I am loving it. I only play about 1 jrpg a year (my last was FFXIII) so they are a rarity for me but this one caught my eye from the beginning. I hope it doesn't get too difficult later on, I thought FFXIII was easy up until a few of the later bosses (the final boss can rot in hell). I normally prefer true turn based experiences but this one seems kind of like FFXIII to me, a nice mash-up of turn based and real time combat.

Hrm, 3 familiars per party member, and only 3 in reserve. With a bank that can hold 400 familiars. . .who do I pick?!

So the fullness thing does go down, but each familiar can only have +10 to stats from food feeding, as far as I can tell. Hope this raises as they level up and/or evolve. I have evolved my original Mite, but I swear it still said 8/10 for stat bonuses.

Not sure I like the AI, they seem to spam MP and have none left when curing is needed. I see the tactics button in battle, but there is no menu option to set AI, so you have to set it every battle?

Those sewer lids, I thought they'd be fast travel points for underground travel or something. Nope, that's where you store familiars. Starting to get worried about fast travel, as it takes a long time to back track. Now I'm hoping a warp spell pops up soon.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Hrm, 3 familiars per party member, and only 3 in reserve. With a bank that can hold 400 familiars. . .who do I pick?!

So the fullness thing does go down, but each familiar can only have +10 to stats from food feeding, as far as I can tell. Hope this raises as they level up and/or evolve. I have evolved my original Mite, but I swear it still said 8/10 for stat bonuses.

Not sure I like the AI, they seem to spam MP and have none left when curing is needed. I see the tactics button in battle, but there is no menu option to set AI, so you have to set it every battle?

Those sewer lids, I thought they'd be fast travel points for underground travel or something. Nope, that's where you store familiars. Starting to get worried about fast travel, as it takes a long time to back track. Now I'm hoping a warp spell pops up soon.[/QUOTE]

I had my Mite at 10/10 bonuses and it stayed that way when he evolved. Not sure if you get more as they evolve further.

I thought the same thing about the sewer lids...lol. I think I remember hearing you don't get fast travel until many hours into the game, unfortunately.

[quote name='argyle']While this gen has definitely been a lot dryer for JRPGs than last gen, there have still been some great ones released (with the two best being Xenoblade and Vesperia imo). So I wouldn't really call this a return to form for the genre, but it IS a return to form for Level-5 on consoles. This game feels like the natural follow-up to their best PS2 games, Dragon Quest 8 & Dark Cloud 2. I'm extremely glad to see them back in action, since they were one of my favorite developers on the PS2.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Killbomb']Yeah, there have been some good JRPGs this gen. The two you mentioned plus I would add Lost Odyssey and Star Ocean 4 to the list off the top of my head with LO probably being my favorite followed by Vesperia.

It is good to see Level 5 back in form on consoles. I remember being excited for White Knight Chronicles and then barely playing it due to the online focus and overall "blah" gameplay.[/QUOTE]

You forgot Rogue Galaxy, that was an amazing game.

To the ones mentioned I would add Xillia (which I imported, better than Vesperia) and Resonance of Fate (which I know was not liked by many but I loved the battle system).

Other than that and maybe a few others it was a dry spell this gen compared to the ones in the previous generation.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Hrm, 3 familiars per party member, and only 3 in reserve. With a bank that can hold 400 familiars. . .who do I pick?!

Those sewer lids, I thought they'd be fast travel points for underground travel or something. Nope, that's where you store familiars. Starting to get worried about fast travel, as it takes a long time to back track. Now I'm hoping a warp spell pops up soon.[/QUOTE]

My Mite familiar (not evolved, just originial form) is +20, all you have to do is keep feeding them, until that 2nd heart feels up, then he goes from +10, to beign able to upgrade to +20.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']You forgot Rogue Galaxy, that was an amazing game.

To the ones mentioned I would add Xillia (which I imported, better than Vesperia) and Resonance of Fate (which I know was not liked by many but I loved the battle system).

Other than that and maybe a few others it was a dry spell this gen compared to the ones in the previous generation.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I loved Rogue Galaxy as well. Got stuck on the final boss and never finished it though. Might have to replay it one of these days. Resonance of Fate slipped my mind earlier. Really enjoyed that one as well. Hard as hell in some spots but the combat was very fun.

[quote name='Poor2More']My Mite familiar (not evolved, just originial form) is +20, all you have to do is keep feeding them, until that 2nd heart feels up, then he goes from +10, to beign able to upgrade to +20.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I stopped feeding my mite after he hit 10/10 because I was afraid of wasting treats.

[quote name='Poor2More']My Mite familiar (not evolved, just originial form) is +20, all you have to do is keep feeding them, until that 2nd heart feels up, then he goes from +10, to beign able to upgrade to +20.[/QUOTE]

Haha, epic! There are like 10 heart slots? So +100 in stats you pick, wow.

Anyone check out the in-game Wizard's Companion yet? That thing is very detailed, amazing. Jealous of people who got that book from Namco online only Wizard Edition, but at least I can see it in-game :D

Any idea what happens if you level a trait but if you've already hit the max, i.e., you're at 10/10, and then increase a trait? Do traits not increase until your max does or does it get negated?

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']You forgot Rogue Galaxy, that was an amazing game.

Other than that and maybe a few others it was a dry spell this gen compared to the ones in the previous generation.[/QUOTE]

Nah, didn't forget Rogue Galaxy, I just didn't think it was as good as the other 2 I mentioned (tho it was still a great game).

I'm definitely looking forward to Xillia tho, it was my #2 anticipated game for the year after NNK. :)

[quote name='argyle']Nah, didn't forget Rogue Galaxy, I just didn't think it was as good as the other 2 I mentioned (tho it was still a great game).

I'm definitely looking forward to Xillia tho, it was my #2 anticipated game for the year after NNK. :)[/QUOTE]

I thought Dragon Quest 8 was just alright and think it's worse than the other two :p

Anyway I think you will love Xillia. Much better than Tales of Grace F.

[quote name='Vinny']Any idea what happens if you level a trait but if you've already hit the max, i.e., you're at 10/10, and then increase a trait? Do traits not increase until your max does or does it get negated?[/QUOTE]

It does get negated.

The heart meter fills up faster when you feed the familiar it's favorite food. The Mite loves chocolate for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
silly question, but how do the dlc familiars "work"? also will they be available on every new game save started?

I have a very bad habit of not finishing (more often starting) rpgs and have a decent backlog of rpgs that have yet to be opened. this may be the one that gets me back in! what game do you guys think this is similar to? from what I've seen it seems like a slower paced Tales game (only played ToS).

[quote name='Gamer SDP']silly question, but how do the dlc familiars "work"? also will they be available on every new game save started?

I have a very bad habit of not finishing (more often starting) rpgs and have a decent backlog of rpgs that have yet to be opened. this may be the one that gets me back in! what game do you guys think this is similar to? from what I've seen it seems like a slower paced Tales game (only played ToS).[/QUOTE]
I got the tickets for them once you unlock the bag, which is like 15 minutes into the game. I'm assuming they populate the bag anytime a new DLC is detected so they can be added at any point. I haven't made it far enough to redeem them yet, though.

OK, so I'm confused on feeding your familiars: you guys are saying keep feeding them once the fullness meter is full, but the guide recommends feeding them in intervals so that they 'digest' the food in battle. I think what people are seeing is not related to overfeeding but what naturally happens as you play the game. Still, I don't know what I'm doing yet so it's confusing. I just want the best for my trusty "Ass Biter". :lol:

[quote name='knightsdwn']It does get negated.

The heart meter fills up faster when you feed the familiar it's favorite food. The Mite loves chocolate for example.[/QUOTE]

How do you know what it's favorite food is? I'm guessing it's in the tome, huh?

[quote name='Teh Reaper']omg this game is awesome! 5 hours into it :D... just made it to the desert, to bad i have to go to sleep :( if not ill be playing all night lol.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Around 5 hours in and just hit the desert, everyone is around lv13.

PS I'm still looking for the amazon DLC. I can trade with the best buy flutterby!

[quote name='Vinny']How do you know what it's favorite food is? I'm guessing it's in the tome, huh?[/QUOTE]

Yup, in the book alright. There is also a visual and audio clue as hearts will flutter from their heads and will do a little cute squeal when you do feed them their favorite dessert. The mite does an especially cute sound when you feed him chocolate :)

[quote name='knightsdwn']Yup, in the book alright. There is also a visual and audio clue as hearts will flutter from their heads and will do a little cute squeal when you do feed them their favorite dessert. The mite does an especially cute sound when you feed him chocolate :)[/QUOTE]

I loaded him up on chocolate when I saw that friggin' animation. It's so good.

Love your avatar, by the way. Every day IS great at your Junes!

I made it to the desert city last night and finished up things there (on my way all the way back to Ding Dong Dell because I need enthusiasm). I got my first ally and getting her really took me by surprise.
I never figured I'd have to deal with marital and psychological issues in this game. And I think this is the first time I've seen an interracial couple in a game. That whole episode made me feel warm & fuzzy inside.

A little past getting 1st ally. Not sure if it's a major spoiler but just in-case.

So I just finished the trials and notice your familiar can evolve. I've already met thing from the manhole and got the jumbo stones. None of my pets want them (the has metamorphable(sp?)). Where do I get the ones that can? Or do I have to make them. If so what's needed?

[quote name='Psykodelik']A little past getting 1st ally. Not sure if it's a major spoiler but just in-case.

So I just finished the trials and notice your familiar can evolve. I've already met thing from the manhole and got the jumbo stones. None of my pets want them (the has metamorphable(sp?)). Where do I get the ones that can? Or do I have to make them. If so what's needed?
[/QUOTE]

Answer and a couple spoilers about using them:
There are regular ones and you should start finding them in battles soon. I also think I got a couple from running errands. I'm not sure if you can buy them, although maybe you can later in the game. The ones given at the Temple of Trials are for the final evolution. IMPORTANT, using them will bring your evolved character to level one, so don't metamorphose(?) several of them right before a boss battle. It's not tough to get them back up to speed and better than before, but it's nothing like Pokemon where an evolution means an immediate boost in stats.

I'm about 18 hours in and
have acquired a third person in my party and am now off to another continent.
I'm really enjoying this game and I honestly can't remember the last time I've had this much fun with a JRPG.

bread's done
Back