Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Organization_XIII']I think it's funny. I just did a quick ebay search, and there are 3DSs with like 45 minutes left and not even a single bidder. I hope the people who bought them with hopes of being able to flip it for massive profit feel as stupid as they look.[/QUOTE]

I was at gamestop this morning picking my black one up, there was a huge line. Some Asian dude next me bought 6 of them. Apparently they were allowing more than one preorder, thank god for whoever canceled my second one. They did me a blessing in disguise. I thought the guy was gonna make a huge profit, until I came back and checked Amazon, and Ebay. It doesn't look sold out yet. Checked 8 hours later, it's still there. I started laughing my ass off because I realized this thing isn't like the Wii, I doubt it'll sell out if at all.
Even the PSMove sold out quicker than this thing.

I bet that guy is kicking himself in the ass right now. :lol: I hope they allow him the return the copies. :bouncy:

Anyway, I like the 3DS. Playing SF4 and it's really good. The 3D effects are okay, but I just love the graphics. I wanted this mostly because of the Graphics power this puppy has. I wanted to play Wii type games on the go and it doesn't disappoint.

Hm.. the only problem I've noticed with my 3DS is that the circle pad often makes a "clicky" sound, mostly in the left/right direction. Don't know if I should return it for that but I can hear it over max volume and it's kinda distracting.

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']I bet that guy is kicking himself in the ass right now. :lol: I hope they allow him the return the copies. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

There are (well were) approx. 1.6 million 3DS' in the channel compared with roughly 1/2 million Wii's in the channel for launch. Also keep in mind that this is a $250 handheld being launched in the middle of a recession without an app on par with Wii Sports or Twilight Princess.

I bet if that dude holds onto them until Christmas he will make a mint. Even though I eventually cancelled my preorder and will be picking up a JPN model, I applaud Nintendo for flooding retail and preventing scalping.

Picked my preorder up no problem at around 5pm at Gamestop. They still had a few more. I had called earlier to make sure my preorder was being held and they said it would be no problem. (But wait, GS is supposed to be horrible so why didn't I get hosed? I guess they aren't all bad ;)).

The nearby Target, on the other hand, was all out.

I know this sounds bad, but I haven't even opened the system yet. Heck, with the DSi I didn't open it for about 6 months - and then I used it once or twice and went back to my trusty DS Lite for travel. And I still have my PSP-3000 in the box from well over a year ago ;).

But I probably will actually open this Monday - gimmick or not, it is enough of a new thing that I am somewhat interested in checking it out despite being super busy and fairly immersed gaming-wise in Dragon Age Origins at this time.

I am going to take the cheapass route, though, and hold off on buying any games for it for the time being. The kids saw PilotWings at Target and wanted that, but I just can't spend $40 on something like that. I can wait for the inevitable sale/clearance to get some of this launch stuff. I'm also really hard-pressed to get Nintendogs + Cats despite me wanting cats in the game since I first saw it (and wondering why Nintendo never cashed in earlier on a Nintencats). My kids spent all of about 1 hour playing Nintendogs before getting bored with it and this is apparently more of the same.

So I guess I'll just play around with the minigames and camera and such and maybe wait for a DSiware game to get or something until the bigger releases come out.

[quote name='renique46']man that 5-6 month forecast of upcoming releases posted a couple of pages back is god awful holy shit. launch line up is already laughable as it is hopefully the virtual console store is up and running within the coming weeks

also

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-3DS-Aq...0677077049?pt=Video_Games&hash=item4aa9d7e039

:lol:[/QUOTE]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]:whistle2:s[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bonus: You have the option of receiving some very exclusive pre-installed Nintendo Miis. We have access codes for several Official Nintendo Miis, including both Nintendo's video game characters AND Nintendo's quite popular representatives. These pre-installed Miis are entirely optional, since each of the 20 3DS units we have are 100% new and unopened. If you wish, we can upload the Official Nintendo Miis to your 3DS while wearing protective gloves, close it back up, and ship it out to you still BRAND NEW but with some exclusive Miis that come straight from Nintendo themselves. If you don't want us to open your 3DS up at all but are still interested in the Miis, we can probably still provide you with the codes via e-mail.

Second Bonus: We have lots of swag from different Electronic Entertainment Expositions over the years, so we'd be happy to bundle something in for you for free. A lot of the stuff we have ranges from $30-$100 but we'll throw it in with your 3DS just because we really want you to be happy with your system and for buying from us.
[/FONT]

[quote name='renique46']
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-3DS-Aq...0677077049?pt=Video_Games&hash=item4aa9d7e039

:lol:[/QUOTE]
Yep, it's good to see that Nintendo provided adequate launch units this time around. There's nothing more pathetic than these dipshits who think they're financial geniuses because they have the modicum of market sense and lack of morals to scalp units, and then they'll go on about the wonders of capitalism and whatever the hell.

I hope Nintendo keeps pumping out units so the Craigslist and eBay tards have to dump their 3DSs at under cost, so then I can read those same tards on these forums posting things like, "OMG 3DS is so much fail, I can't even sell these at MSRP!"

Aren't we supposed to be able to move DSIware accounts from the DSi to this system? I searched around at nintendo.com and couldn't find anything about that. I never used it much, but my DSi came with 1000 points and I got the free photo-fighting game (whatever that was that was free for a while - I never played it). I might as well move that over if I can.

Edit: Never mind, I found it (didn't come up on search but whatever):

Description:

Information on the ability to transfer DSiWare from the Nintendo DSi/Nintendo DSiXL to the Nintendo 3DS.

Information:

There will be a method available that will allow most DSiWare content to be transferred to a Nintendo 3DS. This feature won’t be available until a future update. When the transfer feature becomes available, which may be up to several months after the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, both the Nintendo DSi/Nintendo DSi XL AND the Nintendo 3DS are needed to complete the transfer. This is because the transfer of data will occur via local wireless communication.

Please Note: Data cannot be transferred to another system over the Internet, using an SD Card, nor can Nintendo complete the transfer for you.

More information on this process will be available on our support site and at www.nintendo.com/3ds once it becomes available.

Several months?? Way to be on top of things, Big N. Hopefully this means you can open up a new account on the 3DS and still, later, whenever they get around to implementing this transfer, get your stuff from the DSi while also retaining the new stuff on the 3DS. And it sounds like it will just transfer some games (and probably not point balances), so I guess I should spend the points on the DSi to get something or another and hope that is one of the ones that transfers later :roll:.

[quote name='io']
Several months?? Way to be on top of things, Big N.[/QUOTE]
Considering how long the SD card troubles took on the Wii, I'd say several months is damn near miraculous.

They must have hired a guy, or a guy to form and train a legion of guys, on this one.

I love my 3DS so far, it looks amazing graphics wise and the system looks really slick as well. I picked up SSFIV and Madden, which both are really fun, and have Rayman for my kids but Im going to exchange it for Pilotwings today for them. The AR Cards are really, really cool. I loved how fighting the dragon, the surface I was fighting him on looked as though it was morphing. I hope they bring out some really awesome goodies with these as later releases come.

What launch games was everyone picking up anyone get Ridge Racer, Steel Diver, or PES (Really interested to see this one and how it is, got pretty solid reviews.)?

[quote name='io']Aren't we supposed to be able to move DSIware accounts from the DSi to this system? I searched around at nintendo.com and couldn't find anything about that. I never used it much, but my DSi came with 1000 points and I got the free photo-fighting game (whatever that was that was free for a while - I never played it). I might as well move that over if I can.

Edit: Never mind, I found it (didn't come up on search but whatever):

Several months?? Way to be on top of things, Big N. Hopefully this means you can open up a new account on the 3DS and still, later, whenever they get around to implementing this transfer, get your stuff from the DSi while also retaining the new stuff on the 3DS. And it sounds like it will just transfer some games (and probably not point balances), so I guess I should spend the points on the DSi to get something or another and hope that is one of the ones that transfers later :roll:.[/QUOTE]
It'll be this May, that update will include the eShop, browser, etc.

[quote name='Justin42']I'm enjoying my 3DS so far but I have a single tiny stuck white pixel on the top screen.[/QUOTE]

If you notice it on the first day and it bothers you enough to post here, I'd go ahead and swap it out. On an LCD screen, a single stuck pixel isn't really considered a "defect," but you'll probably never be happy with the system. I've had systems both ways, my first DS Phat had a stuck white pixel in the top screen, I tried to get used to it (as it was the Mario Kart DS and the store had no more) but it just annoyed me too much. On the other hand I've had other systems (a PSP and a Turboexpress) that had stuck pixels that I didn't notice for quite a while. I'm still happily playing on them.

I picked up Ridge Racer. I am actually having more fun with it then I thought. Each race has been competitive so far and I am getting used to the drifting. The 3D for this game is great, the environments are nice too. I also picked up SF4 and played for a bit and beat M. Bison's arcade mode story. I am generally a button masher so those bottom combo buttons help. But I recommend Ridge Racer to anyone looking for a launch title.

[quote name='io']Several months?? Way to be on top of things, Big N. Hopefully this means you can open up a new account on the 3DS and still, later, whenever they get around to implementing this transfer, get your stuff from the DSi while also retaining the new stuff on the 3DS. And it sounds like it will just transfer some games (and probably not point balances), so I guess I should spend the points on the DSi to get something or another and hope that is one of the ones that transfers later :roll:.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the eShop that's supposedly coming in May will allow us to transfer DSiWare and be able to buy the virtual console games for the 3DS.

I'll believe it's coming out in May when I see it.

weird question, when you turn the 3D slider all the way down, is the 3D light supposed to be on? Mine stays on, I guess it's to let you know that the part of the game your playing is in 3D.

[quote name='vodkablast']weird question, when you turn the 3D slider all the way down, is the 3D light supposed to be on? Mine stays on, I guess it's to let you know that the part of the game your playing is in 3D.[/QUOTE]

Mine does the same thing, I'm assuming that's normal.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Yeah, the eShop that's supposedly coming in May will allow us to transfer DSiWare and be able to buy the virtual console games for the 3DS.

I'll believe it's coming out in May when I see it.[/QUOTE]
I kinda believe it will come out in may. I mean why wouldn't they considering that it's free money for them basically. Now lets hope all the Nintendo classics get released in 3D because god damn I wanna play wario land in 3D.

[quote name='vodkablast']weird question, when you turn the 3D slider all the way down, is the 3D light supposed to be on? Mine stays on, I guess it's to let you know that the part of the game your playing is in 3D.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the 3D light is always on to indicate it has the 3D effect. For example with Rayman when you boot the game the light doesn't turn on until there is actual 3D to be shown.

The more time I spend with the system, the more I like it. Maybe it was bad memories of the first DS, but I somehow expected this to be a design nightmare... and it's really, really not. I'd go so far as to say it's easily my favorite of the DS designs thus far, though I do say that as someone who was never as enamored with the mythical DS Lite as everyone else seemed to be. I also *love* that it's designed to not really hold fingerprints, so it looks reasonably clean most of the time. I was even impressed that after some rounds of SSF4 where I was using my finger on the touchscreen it didn't leave any marks.

Downsides? That camera is awful. I was really excited about the 3D picture thing, and was roundly disappointed in it. Other thing, of course, is the battery life... but, as someone who doesn't really use it for any type of travel where I'd need it for more than 3-4 hours or couldn't charge it regularly, it's not a big deal to me. The battery life, though, did go far in explaining that bizarre 'dock'. Given that the AC adaptor is still separate and connects to the dock almost exactly where it'd plug into the system anyway, I didn't understand it. Now that I realize it's in one's best interests to charge it regularly, I see why it's nice to be able to just plunk it down on the dock instead of dealing with wires. Still, nice little touch.

I've only picked up 2 games so far, SSF4 and Ghost Recon. I love both, and they're also good examples of what I want this system to be. What I mean by that is the fact that they're both good games that are simply enhanced by the 3D, but don't rely on it. I've played both of them with and without 3D, and they hold up either way, the 3D just adds some nice 'oomph' to them. It's cool. Bottom line. Like I said, it's where I hope the system finds it niche... I want the DS mark 2, a system that turns out great games, but isn't relying on it's 'new innovation' to be good. Though they are the only two I've played, I would have zero issues recommending both SSF4 or Ghost Recon to anybody.

More bad? I can't understand why Nintendo launched this without having the shop or internet browser ready. Makes no sense to me.

I was a huge fan of the fact that you can connect to the Mii Channel on the Wii and import all of the Miis you've already made. After doing that on the Wii, I had very little desire to re-create most of them, so it was a hugely nice touch for me.

Overall, I really like the system, and I say that as someone who was on the fence about it. It needs some time to grow and find where it needs to be, but the sheer fact that games like SSF4, Ghost Recon, and (apparently) Ridge Racer are in the launch line-up is a good sign. None of them feel hampered, broken, or reliant by/on the 3D 'gimmick' (easiest word to use), unlike the DS launch where most of the games would've greatly benefitted from coming later in the lifecycle and not having some touch controls shoehorned in.

... now, here's the issue. Do I really, really like the system? Yes. Is it now my DS that I carry with me? Yes. Can I honestly tell someone to rush out and drop $250 on it? Well, that... that I'm not sure about. It's a huge hit to a wallet, but if you have the disposible money and like the DS, you won't really be disappointed.

Opinions. Mine.

I am going to skin my cat. I woke up this morning to find that he decided to chew the 3DS's power cord into many bits. Now I have to go out and buy another. Stupid POS cat! He did this to a cord for my Wii once but he's left the other systems cords alone. Either there's something about the Nintendo cords he likes or he just hates Nintendo.

Someone on gaf mentioned that to completely disable 3D you have to go into the system settings.

[quote name='cochesecochese']There are (well were) approx. 1.6 million 3DS' in the channel compared with roughly 1/2 million Wii's in the channel for launch. Also keep in mind that this is a $250 handheld being launched in the middle of a recession without an app on par with Wii Sports or Twilight Princess.[/quote]

Personally I think all 16 launch games are 100,000x better than Wii Sports...

[quote name='sunghost']Mine does the same thing, I'm assuming that's normal.[/QUOTE]

That's what the one at Best Buy did too, though it was quite obvious the screen was NOT normal even with "3D" off.

I guess I'll get mine in today probably (or tomorrow). Still undecided what to do with it :whistle2:/

If I'm keeping it, I guess I'm ordering Street Fighter, Puppies, PilotWings, and Ridge Racer from Toys Is Us...

[quote name='007']

I've only picked up 2 games so far, SSF4 and Ghost Recon. I love both, and they're also good examples of what I want this system to be. What I mean by that is the fact that they're both good games that are simply enhanced by the 3D, but don't rely on it. I've played both of them with and without 3D, and they hold up either way, the 3D just adds some nice 'oomph' to them. It's cool. Bottom line. Like I said, it's where I hope the system finds it niche... I want the DS mark 2, a system that turns out great games, but isn't relying on it's 'new innovation' to be good. Though they are the only two I've played, I would have zero issues recommending both SSF4 or Ghost Recon to anybody.

More bad? I can't understand why Nintendo launched this without having the shop or internet browser ready. Makes no sense to me.

[/QUOTE]

I noticed that a lot of the games coming out on the 3DS are good games, and the 3D just enhances it (which I firmly believe is how it should be). There doesn't seem to be the whole gimmick thing like the Wii, but instead it seems like the DS 2 but with better third party support which is welcomed.

Also I think Nintendo had to release this early for their fiscal year for profits and stuff (I don't know marketing but I remember them saying something to that effect), and that's why we don't have the browser and other things.

[quote name='007']The more time I spend with the system, the more I like it....[/QUOTE]

I have to agree here. I always am a sucker for SFIV and then I really dont have the patience/time anymore to dedicate to get the combos down. I played that game so much back in the SNES days to the point where I would feel comfortable playing any character against anyone that wanted and would have an excellent chance at beating them.

I bought the HD remix (PS3) and barely played it and I think I will probably not play it much for the 3DS. It seems like an excellent game, but I just dont get into fighters that much anymore.

This system is really nice. I opened my Ghost Recon last night and played a partial level... then I was doing other things and messing with the system off and on... really deciding if it was for me or not, and if I would sell my DS lite to partially find this purchase..

Well my Lite sold on Amazon last night and that pretty much meant I was keeping this system.. I got back on it later in the night and really am digging it. The 3D is really kind of nice and helps with the games. I kept flipping it off and on (slider) and I think it really makes the games standout more. The pop is really nice, once you use it you dont wnat to go back tot he 2D Mode.

I didnt expereince any issues with my eyes, etc. The nub is nice the system starts quick enough and the screens all seem fine to me. I actually turned the brightness down a notch or two. I am excited to see what it does with the browser. Given an extra battery is only $15 I can see where that would be a problem should I need to buy one for a long trip, although I dont play portables away from home much at all.

The finish is nice its almost like a black to gunmetal dust fade. Nice and glossy, but very sharp in my opinion.

Ghost Recon seems like its a very solid title and between that and the AR cards I am set for a bit until some others drop. If I need I can wrap up some of the earlier DS titles I have.

The camera is not that great as mentioned, I dont know if it would have been great a two to three years ago or what, but it is what it is nothing really to even some cell cameras out now. I realize they have three lenses on this system so some comprimises where made. I dont plan on using it for a camera anyway.

The Face Raiders game is great, I was cracking up as I took shots of my Dog, etc. I have not imported any Mii's but will probably do that and then read about what these coins unlock. I cant ever imagine I would carry the system with me as a pedometer however.

Anyway it feels solid, and I think it will sell well. If they can get the games flowing I think this will be a very successful step for them. I have a feeling we will see some stuff announced at E3 that will be cool.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']I think it's funny. I just did a quick ebay search, and there are 3DSs with like 45 minutes left and not even a single bidder. I hope the people who bought them with hopes of being able to flip it for massive profit feel as stupid as they look.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind, those people that sell the items aren't to blame, it's the people that buy them for hundreds of dollars over retail that you should be laughing at. Just because someone purchases something to make money on, especially in this economy, it shouldn't open them up to criticism. People do this with jewelry, cars, coins, anything collectable or that might increase quickly in value.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I kinda believe it will come out in may. I mean why wouldn't they considering that it's free money for them basically. Now lets hope all the Nintendo classics get released in 3D because god damn I wanna play wario land in 3D.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I just want 3DSware or whatever it'll be called to not be as pitiful as the DSiWare selection ended up being overall.

[quote name='007']Downsides? That camera is awful. I was really excited about the 3D picture thing, and was roundly disappointed in it. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, the camera is no more than a novelty. I believe it's like .7 megapixels. Like a crappy cell phone camera from 4 years ago.

[quote name='jblank']Keep in mind, those people that sell the items aren't to blame, it's the people that buy them for hundreds of dollars over retail that you should be laughing at. Just because someone purchases something to make money on, especially in this economy, it shouldn't open them up to criticism. People do this with jewelry, cars, coins, anything collectable or that might increase quickly in value.[/QUOTE]
There's nothing defensible in it. They're preying on consumer ignorance. The defense, "Well, let the buyer beware!" doesn't preclude the sellers from being entirely needless parasites, which is to say they add zero value to the product, market, or transaction.

Thankfully Nintendo decided to step in and eliminate this opportunity by providing real supply on this product launch. Good on 'em.

It's kind of cool, too, my local Craigslist has people posting 3DSs for sale at MSRP simply to notify people that there are no shortages and make them aware that CL listings that claim shortages to justify inflated prices are lies. Take it to the people!

Ugh, I HATE scalpers. Hate when they show up on game forums too. Gee, thanks for taking stock from people who actually wanted it, you know?

[quote name='dothog']There's nothing defensible in it. They're preying on consumer ignorance. The defense, "Well, let the buyer beware!" doesn't preclude the sellers from being entirely needless parasites, which is to say they add zero value to the product, market, or transaction.

Thankfully Nintendo decided to step in and eliminate this opportunity by providing real supply on this product launch. Good on 'em.

It's kind of cool, too, my local Craigslist has people posting 3DSs for sale at MSRP simply to notify people that there are no shortages and make them aware that CL listings that claim shortages to justify inflated prices are lies. Take it to the people![/QUOTE]

That simply is not true. Nobody is "preying" on anything, the bought into a hot commodity and are profiting from people not being able to get one through retail channels. In this case, the market is being set by what the customer pays for the item, NOT WHAT the seller is selling them for.

This happens all the time with other things and particularly commodities, but because you're a gamer, you feel strongly about it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Ugh, I HATE scalpers. Hate when they show up on game forums too. Gee, thanks for taking stock from people who actually wanted it, you know?[/QUOTE]

Then don't buy from them. Simple as that.

To begrudge someone speculating on an item is ridiculous. I buy and sell boats all the time, particularly because I know what I can buy them for to make money on them, same with homes that people buy. In both cases, that MARKET decides what they go for, not me. Same with electronics, if something is in shortage and I have this item, and sell it, why should I be ripped for doing that? Now, I don't do this with consoles, and I love the 3DS's I bought for my son and I, but I gotta say, if they were going for $600 on eBay, I'd be a fool to NOT jump in on that, especially in today's economic climate.

[quote name='jblank']That simply is not true. Nobody is "preying" on anything, the bought into a hot commodity and are profiting from people not being able to get one through retail channels. In this case, the market is being set by what the customer pays for the item, NOT WHAT the seller is selling them for.[/quote]

So? They're still preying on them. If they weren't doing it, the same number of people would get the system, but at normal price. Yes it's the fault of the idiots who buy from scalpers, but I don't have to like the people doing the scalping either.

[quote name='jblank']That simply is not true. Nobody is "preying" on anything, the bought into a hot commodity and are profiting from people not being able to get one through retail channels. In this case, the market is being set by what the customer pays for the item, NOT WHAT the seller is selling them for.

This happens all the time with other things and particularly commodities, but because you're a gamer, you feel strongly about it.[/QUOTE]

It absolutely is predatory behavior. There's no arbitrage here, where you're connecting people in somehow separate markets that can't talk to each other. You're adding zero liquidity, you're not providing any services, you're just buying more than you need of a product with limited availability and selling that off to people who didn't make it in time. It's pure greed, whether it's video game systems or tickets or whatever.

For anyone looking to pick up a spare dock and power adapter, the accessories are up on the Nintendo online store.

The dock is $4 and the power adapter is $10.

I picked up a spare to have one at work and one at home. Keeping the 3DS with me to get the pedobearmeter coins.

[quote name='Wolfpup']So? They're still preying on them. If they weren't doing it, the same number of people would get the system, but at normal price. Yes it's the fault of the idiots who buy from scalpers, but I don't have to like the people doing the scalping either.[/QUOTE]

So if I buy a boat for $10,000, knowing I can get $15,000 for it from another person, I am preying on them? I'm not saying you to like them, I'm saying that to rip them for selling high demand items for whatever the market bears is silly and immature.

If you bought a widget for $100 and I come to you and say I will buy your widget for $200, are you not going to sell it to me because you will be "preying" on me? Come on, look at this from an open minded perspective, I will guarantee that you have sold something you have made money on before, no difference here.

[quote name='dothog']It absolutely is predatory behavior. There's no arbitrage here, where you're connecting people in somehow separate markets that can't talk to each other. You're adding zero liquidity, you're not providing any services, you're just buying more than you need of a product with limited availability and selling that off to people who didn't make it in time. It's pure greed, whether it's video game systems or tickets or whatever.[/QUOTE]

It most certainly is not. The added value is the value of time for the purchasers.

I dont disagree that scalpers can be morally corrupt (finding ways to acquire tickets or ect before street date).

But if someone gets in line and buys an item and can resell it for more, that is simply good business. The person makes some scratch for their time, and the buyer gets something the treasure sooner.

Dont pitty the person who can afford to buy an item on the secondary market. They either place much more value on their time than seeking a deal, or they have more money than sense. Neither of which makes them vulnerable.

[quote name='dothog']It absolutely is predatory behavior. There's no arbitrage here, where you're connecting people in somehow separate markets that can't talk to each other. You're adding zero liquidity, you're not providing any services, you're just buying more than you need of a product with limited availability and selling that off to people who didn't make it in time. It's pure greed, whether it's video game systems or tickets or whatever.[/QUOTE]

Not true. I will say to you what I just said to the other guy:

So if I buy a boat for $10,000, knowing I can get $15,000 for it from another person, I am preying on them? I'm not saying you to like them, I'm saying that to rip them for selling high demand items for whatever the market bears is silly and immature.

If you bought a widget for $100 and I come to you and say I will buy your widget for $200, are you not going to sell it to me because you will be "preying" on me? Come on, look at this from an open minded perspective, I will guarantee that you have sold something you have made money on before, no difference here.

I'm going to have to side with the scalpers on this - if you truly wanted a 3DS (or any console) at launch there are a million ways to reserve one through pre-ordering. When the PS3 launched I sold one for $1250 and I'd do it again in a second. I've never thought for one second that I ripped that person off or that I did something even remotely questionable. I sold something to someone that they wanted - they were happy to pay for it!

[quote name='foltzie']It most certainly is not. The added value is the value of time for the purchasers.

I dont disagree that scalpers can be morally corrupt (finding ways to acquire tickets or ect before street date).

But if someone gets in line and buys an item and can resell it for more, that is simply good business. The person makes some scratch for their time, and the buyer gets something the treasure sooner.

Dont pitty the person who can afford to buy an item on the secondary market. They either place much more value on their time than seeking a deal, or they have more money than sense. Neither of which makes them vulnerable.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Like I said, I do this with boats all the time, some people do it with houses, diamonds, gold, jewelry, electronics, whatever. If the market supports a price and people will pay that price, then that should be the end of your concern.

[quote name='pjarvi']For anyone looking to pick up a spare dock and power adapter, the accessories are up on the Nintendo online store.

The dock is $4 and the power adapter is $10.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't the charger for the DSi also work for the 3DS?

[quote name='utopianmachine']Doesn't the charger for the DSi also work for the 3DS?[/QUOTE]

Interesting...are the 3DS/DSi/DSi XL chargers the same? That would be handy.

[quote name='pjarvi']For anyone looking to pick up a spare dock and power adapter, the accessories are up on the Nintendo online store.

The dock is $4 and the power adapter is $10.[/QUOTE]

Thanks...yeah, I like a spare for...uh...well, the same reasons :lol:

[quote name='jblank']So if I buy a boat for $10,000, knowing I can get $15,000 for it from another person, I am preying on them?[/quote]

Yes.

[quote name='foltzie']It most certainly is not. The added value is the value of time for the purchasers.[/quote]

What "value of time"? You took a unit from Amazon, and made the person go through Craigslist or something idiotic instead. You're taking time from them if anything.

And regardless, scalpers are scum. We don't want them here.

I don't have a DSi/XL to check, but the manual says the 3DS ac adapter is compatible with the DSi and XL, but not compatible with other DS systems.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
What "value of time"? You took a unit from Amazon, and made the person go through Craigslist or something idiotic instead. You're taking time from them if anything.

And regardless, scalpers are scum. We don't want them here.[/QUOTE]

Made? Was this person coerced under some sort of duress to log onto Craigslist and search for an item, rather than wait for more stock?

How is this any different than what Gamestop does? Do the folks here really think you shouldnt be able to sell something you've bought? That is a scary thread of logic.

Note: I agree there shouldnt be flippers in this section of the forum, there is a trading section precisely for that function.

[quote name='utopianmachine']That's excellent news. I was pretty sure this was confirmed already. At least I'll have two chargers for this battery hog. And a USB charger. :D[/QUOTE]

Ive had my 3ds charging this morning using the USB plug I have that supports DSi charging.

Dear Nintendo, thank you for keeping it that same, but could you consider Micro-USB* in the future?

*EDIT whatever the mobile standard is becoming.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GohanX']I don't have a DSi/XL to check, but the manual says the 3DS ac adapter is compatible with the DSi and XL, but not compatible with other DS systems.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='utopianmachine']That's excellent news. I was pretty sure this was confirmed already. At least I'll have two chargers for this battery hog. And a USB charger. :D[/QUOTE]

That doesn't necessarily mean you can use the DSi XL charger for the 3DS, just that you can use the 3DS charger for the DSi. Hopefully someone can compare specs on them...

*hugs my DS XL* :D

People can flip if they want to but it gives me a kind of giddy joy to see them get screwed over, as many of them are smug assholes who think they're too smart.

So amazon's given me $40 towards a 3DS launch title - they gave me $20 credit for SSF4 and $10 each for Ghost Recon and Ridge Racer.

Not sure about getting Lego Star Wars, Rayman, or The Sims.

Never played rayman or any lego star wars games.

I don't really care if people flip, if I wanted this thing I would have preordered from Amazon and had it a few days after launch at the latest. its not like they were hard to find on Day 1 here either. Everyone had multiple opportunities to buy one, perhaps if the internet didn't exist and your only option was retail stores then yes, I would be a little more angry if someone came into a store and bought the whole store's stock of 3DS's. But everyone with a computer and a credit card had the opportunity to preorder from Amazon.

The scalpers will not be mad come Xmas time when the systems are selling for more than their retail price because you can't get them anywhere. However I am not sure that there will be enough profit in this with ebay fees through the roof which is why I usually don't flip items from retail stores or systems. You would have to be making at least $50 per system not counting the fees and shipping costs in order for scalping to be worth it on this item and that will probably be very hard to do. Even then you run the risks of returns, non-payers, scammers, negative feedback for no reason etc..

[quote name='SaraAB']The scalpers will not be mad come Xmas time when the systems are selling for more than their retail price because you can't get them anywhere.[/QUOTE]

You see, I'm not sure that's going to be the case this year. I may be wrong, but between March and December, there's alot of time for Nintendo to produce a lot more and for people who really want them to pick them up before then. I guess I'll have to wait 9 months to see if that's going to be the case.

Where did you get the USB charger? It would be really nice to dasiy chain my Wii in standby mode to my 3DS's cradle instead of me having to plug another plug into my PC's surge protector.

bread's done
Back