Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='utopianmachine']I enjoyed Rabbids Go Home too, so I'm looking forward to this one, Rabbids Travel in Time. Enjoy the trailer. It's pretty cute.[/quote]

Nice! Thanks for that! Unless people say its too hard, I'll probably buy it. (Why is it only hitting one system instead of three, and why do they keep relegating 2D to the handhelds? Oh well...)

Unfortunately this is probably one more reason I'll have to stick with the 3DS :lol: It better not make me sick!

[quote name='utopianmachine']Looks like I need another little case to carry 3DS games. With the little nub, they don't fit in this game case I got from DealExtreme.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/protec...e-for-nds-ds-lite-dsi-translucent-green-20502

I like the simple construction and size, how it fits easily in my purse. Anyone seen anything similar for 3DS? DealExtreme doesn't have any 3DS game cartridge holders yet.[/QUOTE]

Nifty. If only I'd bought more GB and GBA cases!

[quote name='utopianmachine']Looks like I need another little case to carry 3DS games. With the little nub, they don't fit in this game case I got from DealExtreme.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/protec...e-for-nds-ds-lite-dsi-translucent-green-20502

I like the simple construction and size, how it fits easily in my purse. Anyone seen anything similar for 3DS? DealExtreme doesn't have any 3DS game cartridge holders yet.[/QUOTE]

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Offi..._4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1302140899&sr=1-4

This one works for 3DS games. Unfortunately you have to buy it with other stuff. I do like its form and color more than the one above. Plus it's officially licensed and says "Nintendo 3DS" on it, which is kind of important to me...

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']You made me go read the IGN preview of that game and it did surprise me that it's going to be the first-ever side-scrolling platformer adventure for the franchise. I love those types of side-scrollers (Mischief Makers being a favorite of mine for the N64). I'll have to consider that a possible buy if it gets decent reviews.

It's Wabbit Season![/QUOTE]

I've been interested since I first heard of the game. The mini-game collections don't interest me, and I believe at this point, most people are tired of that ever-popular combo of minigames + Wii.

I have a feeling it will be a good title. The trailer shows a lot of visual polish, at least.

[quote name='omster']Whoa, I knew about Mask of Miracle, but I'd never seen this before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY4gtoyLpqE[/QUOTE]

Well, dammit, this means I need to go play some Phoenix Wright games. Yeah, that's right, I've never played any of them. Wanna fight about it!?

Seriously, I have them all, I just never felt like popping one in. I have played all the U.S. version Layton games, though (well, I'm just finishing up Unwound Future). This is why I need a 10+ hour battery life on my DS systems - I play these types of games ONLY when travelling cross country on plane flights. So I'll be finishing up Unwound Future next week, hopefully. Maybe I'll bring the first Phoenix Wright along and start that if I finish Layton...

-----------------------------------

As for the list of upcoming 3DS games, well, I've gotten over not having a launch title. I'm past the impulse period and now I can definitely wait for cheapass prices on the ones I do eventually want. So that means I need to look ahead to what I might buy at full price.

Here's what I''m eyeing:

- May 11: Balloon Pop 2. Just because it is cheap ($19.99). If the reviews are halfway decent I may pick this up so I finally have a game to play.

- June 2nd: LoZ Ocarina of Time. I've never played this so why not. I've actually played very few Zelda games and the only one I ever finished was Wind Waker. I do remember playing the original on an NES at a friend's house in college (it was her little brother's system). I thought it was pretty cool at the time but then never played another until Wind Waker ;).

- June 29th: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked. I started the DS game but didn't get very far. I really liked what I played, though. I might as well start over with the 3D version though I wonder what that will look like given the original isn't known for its graphics.

- August 2nd: A whole mess of games. I'm guessing this is just a placeholder date because there's no way Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, Paper Mario, Super Mario 3D, and Star Fox 64 3D all come out on the same day ;). I'd be interested in potentially ALL of those, depending on reviews (I mean, if, for some reason, they really screw them up I'll pass - but I doubt they will on these ones). If they really do all come out at once then I'd prioritize them like this: Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, Star Fox. I may be the only person in the world who thought Star Fox Assault was a good game and when I played Star Fox 64 on virtual console I thought it was boring and drab. I'm not sure I want to play a 3D version of that dreck.

- Unknown release: Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='omster']http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Offi..._4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1302140899&sr=1-4

This one works for 3DS games. Unfortunately you have to buy it with other stuff. I do like its form and color more than the one above. Plus it's officially licensed and says "Nintendo 3DS" on it, which is kind of important to me...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the recommendation. I really have no need for all the other accessories, as I already have screen protectors on my 3DS (and backups) and have ordered extra styli from DealExtreme.

I did find this one. It appears to hold 3DS and DS games, so I could consolidate my carrying collection to one case instead of two. I think I may go with this.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-...R0ZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302141292&sr=8-1

[quote name='io']Well, dammit, this means I need to go play some Phoenix Wright games. Yeah, that's right, I've never played any of them. Wanna fight about it!?[/QUOTE]

:twoguns:

I love love love the Phoenix Wright games, especially the first 3. I consider them among the best the DS has to offer. Stop playing everything else and start playing Phoenix Wright. You'll thank me later.

[quote name='io']Well, dammit, this means I need to go play some Phoenix Wright games. Yeah, that's right, I've never played any of them. Wanna fight about it!?

Seriously, I have them all, I just never felt like popping one in. I have played all the U.S. version Layton games, though (well, I'm just finishing up Unwound Future). This is why I need a 10+ hour battery life on my DS systems - I play these types of games ONLY when travelling cross country on plane flights. So I'll be finishing up Unwound Future next week, hopefully. Maybe I'll bring the first Phoenix Wright along and start that if I finish Layton...[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat, except I'm still playing the first Layton. I hear the first is the best one and that'll probably be the one I play (Ace Attorney).

[quote name='utopianmachine']Professor Layton, good. Phoenix Wright, better.

Did I mention I love Phoenix Wright games? I did, didn't I.[/QUOTE]

Ummm....I don't THINK so. :D

I bought the first two Professor Layton games and thought they sucked major balls, not to troll or anything. For one, I am just too fucking stupid for puzzles that complicated. That and the story never got interesting to me and I ended up giving up on it after a while. I love the art style but damn did it bore me to death.

Now Phoenix Wright, on the other hand, kicks major ass. I have the first two and I need to find the third one and play it. Now THATS what I call a good adventure game. I will buy Professor Layton V.S. Phoenix Wright when it does come here though, mainly for the latter though. :D

Honestly I don't like professor layton, I played some of unwound future and found it was just word problems and problems that require a mathematical solution. I HATE WORD PROBLEMS with a passion so this game is definitely not for me. Seriously, I would rather play brain age, which somehow manages to make math fun. The last thing I want to reminisce about is math class in college.. no thank you.

Phoenix wright is good however, and I would definitely recommend those, the only problem is there isn't any replay ability after you finish the game, when its done its done so its the kinda game you play, sell or trade in, then move onto the next game. Hilarious game series though and I got some really good laughs out of it, definitely recommended.

I got stuck on the first Layton too. I stink at stuff like that. I enjoyed it pretty well up to that point-I mean it's a nifty idea.

Miraculously I'm still not-stuck on Zelda Spirit Tracks!

[quote name='utopianmachine']Professor Layton, good. Phoenix Wright, better.

Did I mention I love Phoenix Wright games? I did, didn't I.[/QUOTE]

I have to admit I haven't bought any Layton or Wright games.... I'll have to try and rectify that oversight someday soon.

All that talk did just push me to go buy 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors from Amazon while it's still 24.99 (plus a book to get that free shipping option).

You know, I have Zelda Spirit Tracks and I never played it. I keep hearing its good and I'm sure it is, but I keep getting side-tracked by other games.

Speaking of which, has anyone noticed that Radiant Historia is now going for crazy money now? I should have bought it when I had a chance. Now I want to play it and its going for $50 - $60 a copy, used. Shit.

I keep hearing 999 is good too and I'm tempted to get it, but then I'm not. But with that stated, I don't want to screw up again and watch it become rare (again).

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has trouble with the Layton puzzles. While I enjoy them, half the time I just want to rush through them, as I want to know what happens next in the story.

I'm about halfway through the first Layton, but it's hard to progress. I hate giving up quickly and looking up the solution on the internet. At that point, it feels like I should just watch a video of the plot on YouTube rather than waste time half-trying the puzzles.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']All that talk did just push me to go buy 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors from Amazon while it's still 24.99 (plus a book to get that free shipping option).[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed 999 pretty well. It was a pretty dark game, and having to use a walkthrough to get the best ending was a little lame. Still, it's definitely worth a playthrough as one of the standout titles for DS.

[quote name='M-PG71C']Speaking of which, has anyone noticed that Radiant Historia is now going for crazy money now? I should have bought it when I had a chance. Now I want to play it and its going for $50 - $60 a copy, used. Shit.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too. Atlus needs to do a reprint.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I enjoyed 999 pretty well. It was a pretty dark game, and having to use a walkthrough to get the best ending was a little lame. Still, it's definitely worth a playthrough as one of the standout titles for DS.[/QUOTE]

What is meant by best ending? (if there's a way to explain without spoilers) I just bought the game myself.

On another topic, anyone know the cheapest price on DSi XLs?

[quote name='SaraAB']Honestly I don't like professor layton, I played some of unwound future and found it was just word problems and problems that require a mathematical solution. I HATE WORD PROBLEMS with a passion so this game is definitely not for me. Seriously, I would rather play brain age, which somehow manages to make math fun. The last thing I want to reminisce about is math class in college.. no thank you.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, math in college....good memories. I was OBSESSED with solving mathematical equations and took advanced courses such as Calculus I-IV, Differential Equations, Matrix Algebra, Abstract Algebra, etc...but they were total time-wasters b/c they weren't required for my major but I couldn't help it... :lol:

Now I think about it...definitely time-wasters....never used any of that knowledge in the real world...oh well.

[quote name='M-PG71C']You know, I have Zelda Spirit Tracks and I never played it. I keep hearing its good and I'm sure it is, but I keep getting side-tracked by other games. [/quote]

I don't like touch screen controls, and I got stuck almost immediately on the first DS one, but I've actually had fun with Spirit Tracks so far. It's been WAY easier for me. The production values are great. The touch screen controls are irritating and pointless, but haven't stopped me yet.

I just finished what might be the second of four main dungeons? I'm still worried I'll get stuck and only took a chance on it because it dropped to half price fast, but the train motif is fun, and it feels really streamlined. The puzzles aren't too absurd...really my only complaint so far is the touch controls, and that's been manageable so far.

EDIT: Sorry, I accidentally didn't quote something correctly, so it looked like I was saying it instead, and someone even responded to it as though I had. Sorry for the confusion!

[quote name='omster']What is meant by best ending? (if there's a way to explain without spoilers) I just bought the game myself.
[/QUOTE]

Depending on your choices in the game, there are 7 or so endings. In order to get the true/best ending, you have to at least finish the game twice. there's a flowchart floating around to help you though.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Speaking of which, has anyone noticed that Radiant Historia is now going for crazy money now? I should have bought it when I had a chance. Now I want to play it and its going for $50 - $60 a copy, used. Shit.[/QUOTE]

Last I heard there's a fresh shipment hitting stores in the next week or two.

I dunno - I definitely like the Layton games. Some of the puzzles are duds, but for the most part they are pretty good and I do like the stories. I'm kind of obsessed with solving all the puzzles without losing a single picarat. So I make sure I solve everything (which is definitely not needed to progress through the story) and I reset if I screw up a puzzle ;).

I just never started PW partly because "courtroom dramas" bore me to tears. I was never one to get along with the debate people (which was a big clique in my HS), and lawyers sort of come from that same cloth ;). But that's not the main reason - only a side one (that I'm not interested in the subject matter all that much). I've just always picked other games for my DS and I don't play it that much anyway (just on trips as I said before and those are maybe once every few months). I will play the first one soon though. Thing is, I have DQ VI, Raidant Historia, 999, and several other games I want to play also.

[quote name='omster']What is meant by best ending? (if there's a way to explain without spoilers) I just bought the game myself.[/QUOTE]

Every ending, other than the true ending, concludes the story in an unsatisfying way. Luckily, after you've beat the game once, you can skip through text you've already read, which helps a lot with getting the other endings.

is anyone having problems with their 3DS connecting to the internet. one day it says internet, i left it sleep mode and flipped it back up and it says enabled and i cant connect anymore. I tried everything. resetting the router, putting the bloody thing right next to it and it still won't connect. So yeah im on the verge of exchanging the thing and getting a new one....im assume none of you had this problem but its worth a shot. Thanks in advance.

i should have elaborated a little more. The Wireless is showing no signal even though the wireless switch is on. I dont know if this is a glitch in the system because the day i bought it, it caught my access point immediately.

[quote name='integralsmatic']is anyone having problems with their 3DS connecting to the internet. one day it says internet, i left it sleep mode and flipped it back up and it says enabled and i cant connect anymore. I tried everything. resetting the router, putting the bloody thing right next to it and it still won't connect. So yeah im on the verge of exchanging the thing and getting a new one....im assume none of you had this problem but its worth a shot. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Enabled? In place of where it says "Internet" in the upper left corner?

Are you the only one who toys with that 3DS? Maybe someone else messed with Parental Controls?

EDIT: Never mind about Parental Controls. I just experimented with those settings for the first time. They can restrict Online Interaction or StreetPass among other things. After restricting Online Interaction, I got the Parental Controls warning when trying to access my Friend List. I can't think of a possible solution to your connectivity woes...it reminds me of my struggles of getting my DS Lite to go online (for Pokemon and Picross 3D) and it got fixed by changing the last three digits of the IP address (from .100 to .110). An odd solution from Nintendo but you could give it a try on the 3DS via System Settings.

so on the main menu- if you flick the system, the icon on the top screen will spin faster. Sometimes my system makes everything spin like that and it won't stop.

Anyone have this problem?

[quote name='nbballard']so on the main menu- if you flick the system, the icon on the top screen will spin faster. Sometimes my system makes everything spin like that and it won't stop.

Anyone have this problem?[/QUOTE]

It isnt a problem, its a "feature", the icons on the top spin if something is interacting with the microphone. Be it sound, wind, or impact.

i had the 3ds open the other day in the car while my fiancee was driving, and those icons were spinning like mad(hilariously fast).. i thought it was based on motion but now that you guys say sound it makes much more sense.

[quote name='integralsmatic']is anyone having problems with their 3DS connecting to the internet. one day it says internet, i left it sleep mode and flipped it back up and it says enabled and i cant connect anymore. I tried everything. resetting the router, putting the bloody thing right next to it and it still won't connect. So yeah im on the verge of exchanging the thing and getting a new one....im assume none of you had this problem but its worth a shot. Thanks in advance.

i should have elaborated a little more. The Wireless is showing no signal even though the wireless switch is on. I dont know if this is a glitch in the system because the day i bought it, it caught my access point immediately.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a 3DS, but with our DS Lites and DSi's we have to manually set up the connection, specifying an IP address, mask, etc. Otherwise it won't connect at all. Do you have it set up manually? If not, you might want to try that.

[quote name='crunchewy']I don't have a 3DS, but with our DS Lites and DSi's we have to manually set up the connection, specifying an IP address, mask, etc. Otherwise it won't connect at all. Do you have it set up manually? If not, you might want to try that.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it could be a case of the DHCP doing a crappy job as mine has been lately. Whatever IP my DS Lite was using was apparently taken by something else, but my router didn't want to given it a new one, so it couldn't connect until I assigned it a static IP.

[quote name='foltzie']It isnt a problem, its a "feature", the icons on the top spin if something is interacting with the microphone. Be it sound, wind, or impact.[/QUOTE]
lol- problem solved. I was in my car and I must have been holding it near the speaker.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Enabled? In place of where it says "Internet" in the upper left corner?

Are you the only one who toys with that 3DS? Maybe someone else messed with Parental Controls?

EDIT: Never mind about Parental Controls. I just experimented with those settings for the first time. They can restrict Online Interaction or StreetPass among other things. After restricting Online Interaction, I got the Parental Controls warning when trying to access my Friend List. I can't think of a possible solution to your connectivity woes...it reminds me of my struggles of getting my DS Lite to go online (for Pokemon and Picross 3D) and it got fixed by changing the last three digits of the IP address (from .100 to .110). An odd solution from Nintendo but you could give it a try on the 3DS via System Settings.[/QUOTE]

thanks ill give it a shot

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Ahhh, math in college....good memories. I was OBSESSED with solving mathematical equations and took advanced courses such as Calculus I-IV, Differential Equations, Matrix Algebra, Abstract Algebra, etc...but they were total time-wasters b/c they weren't required for my major but I couldn't help it... :lol:

Now I think about it...definitely time-wasters....never used any of that knowledge in the real world...oh well.[/QUOTE]

The issue I have is the puzzles in the game aren't really puzzles, they are merely equations that you have to figure out, puzzles are different. I thought I would be using the touch screen to solve innovative puzzles but it wasn't like that at all. There might be a few of those but most of them are just glorified word problems.

Honestly though with math I didn't have a problem with the material so much it was the fact that our teacher really really SUCKED and would mark a whole problem wrong even if you just missed one tiny step instead of at least giving partial credit. Though I have met a couple really awesome math professors in my time but I didn't draw one of them for the calculus class. It wasn't just me who had problems with this class either it was the whole class since almost everyone ended up getting a tutor at some point including me. Then I found out the professor was fired the next semester, lovely.

Thanks Batcave,Cruncychewy,and Botticus for the help and suggestions. I tried everything and still no dice. The 3DS it self has 0 signal strength. I just got off the phone with NoA and was on with their advanced tech and he even ruled it a system problem. So im going to exchange ASAP. Thanks again guys.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Update:
Returned my system, came home with a new one and it connected with no problems.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. Hope that strange problem won't happen to any of us in the future....especially after the 15-month warranty is up.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Good to know. Hope that strange problem won't happen to any of us in the future....especially after the 15-month warranty is up.[/QUOTE]
15 months and 3 days. Greatest planned obsolescence ever.

[quote name='ajumbaje']what kind of cases have people got for their 3ds[/QUOTE]

I bought a $24 big one from PowerA, I think? The hard cases that are about $14ish are probably nice too. There's another nice one that's $17ish that has sort of a smaller case you can use separately just for the system in it.

I don't know, I've been surprised by how nice all the options are for that.

broke down and got one after saying meh to the demo unit... i'm actually happy i did. the more i play with it, in the comfort of my own home, the more i seem to enjoy it!

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Good to know. Hope that strange problem won't happen to any of us in the future....especially after the 15-month warranty is up.[/QUOTE]

yea seriously, this is the strangest thing that has ever happen to me with any console. Its funny, i was actually worried when i opened up the new system and again it was reading 0 bars...but it found the access point super quick compared to my prior unit.

I hope it doesnt happen to any of you either. it had me pulling out hairs for that night.

I'm tempted to get a Phoenix Wright game now... I own the last Prof. Layton game and actually really enjoyed it. Maybe Phoenix would be even better....

[quote name='foltzie']It isnt a problem, its a "feature", the icons on the top spin if something is interacting with the microphone. Be it sound, wind, or impact.[/QUOTE]

WOW...I am so glad to know this. haha...maybe I should actually read that manual for once. I kept thinking something was wrong with my 3ds when this happened.

[quote name='ajumbaje']what kind of cases have people got for their 3ds[/QUOTE]

I'm using an old dslite hard leather case I own, but I'm thinking of buying a real nice one I saw on amazon the other night. It's between these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-...R0Z2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1302258947&sr=8-9

or

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Offi...O65Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1302258947&sr=8-3

[quote name='omster']Augmented Reality Card T-shirts:

http://kotaku.com/#!5790003/watch-the-dragon-pop-out-of-someones-chest-with-this-3ds-augmented-reality-t+shirt

This would be perfect for a Trauma Center AR Game! I could surgery on real people without them ever feeling a thing!

Also, they should print them on the back so that way there would be a crowd of people following me with their 3DSs. It would make me look important.[/QUOTE]

That is really neat and I love the Trauma Center AR game idea too!

My screen protector and game finally came in, so I finally turned my 3DS on and dove into the experience. I have a weird question.

I want to upload my Mii from my Wii and use that as my 'personal' Mii.... is this possible? It is forcing me to make a Mii, and not delete it.... GRR...

bread's done
Back