Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

It must be someone dirty at Nintendo wanting to see some pretty co-worker bent over a demo kiosk. He sort of got caught and had to stick with the story about it being the real demo kiosk. Very smart guy. Deny deny deny. Whoever he is, he's my hero.

[quote name='Josef']For a system that's not supposed to be used by young kids the demo units are awfully close to the ground. Or maybe I'm just too tall? :)[/QUOTE]

I hadn't thought of that... Hmm....

[quote name='Josef']For a system that's not supposed to be used by young kids the demo units are awfully close to the ground. Or maybe I'm just too tall? :)[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say not for young kids since you do have the option of turning off the 3D which I know defeats the purpose but Nintendo has covered itself.

I was checking out Rabbids: Travel in Time again at Amazon and realized there's already a Wii version which came out last November and is only 19.99...half the 3DS price. That makes no sense... Did the Wii version start at 29.99 or 39.99 then get a price cut? Would we expect the same from the 3DS version within months? Just wondering.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']I was checking out Rabbids: Travel in Time again at Amazon and realized there's already a Wii version which came out last November and is only 19.99...half the 3DS price. That makes no sense... Did the Wii version start at 29.99 or 39.99 then get a price cut? Would we expect the same from the 3DS version within months? Just wondering.[/QUOTE]

I would expect everything but Nintendo titles to get cheaper within a few months.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']I was checking out Rabbids: Travel in Time again at Amazon and realized there's already a Wii version which came out last November and is only 19.99...half the 3DS price. That makes no sense... Did the Wii version start at 29.99 or 39.99 then get a price cut? Would we expect the same from the 3DS version within months? Just wondering.[/QUOTE]

The Wii game is just a bunch of mini-games. No one cares about the dime-a-dozen minigame compilations for that system.

The DS version is a completely new experience, a side-scrolling adventure. Also, as it's 3D, the price will likely hold longer.

[quote name='utopianmachine']The Wii game is just a bunch of mini-games. No one cares about the dime-a-dozen minigame compilations for that system.

The DS version is a completely new experience, a side-scrolling adventure. Also, as it's 3D, the price will likely hold longer.[/QUOTE]

Glad you explain that for him/her! It is confusing.

Yeah, Rabbids Go Home on the Wii was awesome...all the other Rabbids games are just mini-game collections (eeeeeeeew). EXCEPT this one, which is a platformer again, inexplicably using the same name as a mini-game collection. Weird, but...

Believe it or not, I think the Wii version actually started at $49.99 because I remember looking at it when it first came out and saying to myself "no way in hell" at that price.

Oh yeah, I think it did. I'm so confused by like 3/4 (4/5?) the Rabbids games being these sub-human mini game collections, and then ONE being this really fun, fresh, crazy, real game platformer-ish-thing.

I was super excited about Rabbids in Time until I learned..."what?!? it's another mini-game collection?!?"

I vaguely worry about my Wii with how much noise it makes loading levels in Go Home. Particularly since my first Wii's drive died :whistle2:/

[quote name='Wolfpup']Glad you explain that for him/her! It is confusing.

Yeah, Rabbids Go Home on the Wii was awesome...all the other Rabbids games are just mini-game collections (eeeeeeeew). EXCEPT this one, which is a platformer again, inexplicably using the same name as a mini-game collection. Weird, but...[/QUOTE]

I'm a he, if you must know... ;)

I just didn't read the summary on the Wii version...yeah, it says it's a party game. Not a smart move to use the same title AND cover pic (a pirate Rabbid) from something so recent. Bet it costs the company plenty of potential buyers (who might have already bought the Wii game).

Funny they put a lot of effort into coming up with a new game but no effort for new cover art...

3DS sold "slightly below" 400k units for March. A lot lower than expected. Seems like it'll be a slow burner again.

Here are the top 10 sold 3DS games.
Number 2 sold less than half of number 1.

01. Street Fighter 3DS
02. Pilotwings Resort
03. Lego Star Wars
04. Rayman
05. Tom Clancy Ghost Recon
06. Super Monkey Ball
07. Nintendogs+Cats G
08. Ridge Racer
09. Steel Diver
10. Nintendogs+Cats F

This month's Game Informer stated there are some 70ish games in development for the 3DS right now. I'm sure the later part of this year will beef up soon.

[quote name='dallow']3DS sold "slightly below" 400k units for March. A lot lower than expected. Seems like it'll be a slow burner again.

01. Street Fighter 3DS
02. Pilotwings Resort
03. Lego Star Wars
04. Rayman
05. Tom Clancy Ghost Recon
06. Super Monkey Ball
07. Nintendogs+Cats G
08. Ridge Racer
09. Steel Diver
10. Nintendogs+Cats F[/QUOTE]

What was the expected amount?

Glad to see Nintendogs+Cats bomb. Seems like Ghost Recon got a boost from good word of mouth.

I got bored the other night with FaceRaiders and started using my DVR to pause when actors were looking straight into the screen. I got some pretty funny ones out of it- my favorite is Bill Cosby.

[quote name='nbballard']I got bored the other night with FaceRaiders and started using my DVR to pause when actors were looking straight into the screen. I got some pretty funny ones out of it- my favorite is Bill Cosby.[/QUOTE]

That is an awesome idea :applause:

Now you've got me thinking, I might need to do some web surfing and grab some pics of the celebrities I'd really enjoy shooting in FaceRaiders. First up...Charlie Sheen. Next....Paris Hilton. The into the political and world arean....Osama Bin Laden, Quadaffi (sp?), Washington D.C. politicians....my supply of faces is now nearly endless.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']What was the expected amount?

Glad to see Nintendogs+Cats bomb. Seems like Ghost Recon got a boost from good word of mouth.[/QUOTE]

500k was the expected amount, which was still lower than expected. So the fact that they didn't sell even 400k in the first five days was very disappointing to investors. I think they estimated 700k sold total, including the initial 500k, so the actual figures might be more like 600k unit sold in the US since launch. I think the original shipment was a million, and that shipment hasn't sold out.

Edit: Estimates were actually 500k-836k in the first week, so it actually did pretty bad compared to expectations. The news before the NPD data was that 3DS sales slowed to a crawl since the first week.

[quote name='dallow']3DS sold "slightly below" 400k units for March. A lot lower than expected. Seems like it'll be a slow burner again.

[/QUOTE]

I am curious why you're calling it a "slow burner" as opposed to "a failure". What in the past indicates that sales will continue as a steady stream?

For those of us who already made a hardware investment, we need the 3ds to sell more and more so there's third party support.

[quote name='confoosious']I am curious why you're calling it a "slow burner" as opposed to "a failure". What in the past indicates that sales will continue as a steady stream?

For those of us who already made a hardware investment, we need the 3ds to sell more and more so there's third party support.[/QUOTE]

From sales figures alone, I wouldn't call it a failure. However, considering Nintendo just said their next console will not have 3D because of what they learned, it sounds like they don't even care about it any more.

I think the nail in the coffin was when they said they aren't going to be any games that require 3D. That immediately booted any possibility of it not being a gimmick out the door.

[quote name='elessar123']From sales figures alone, I wouldn't call it a failure. However, considering Nintendo just said their next console will not have 3D because of what they learned, it sounds like they don't even care about it any more.[/QUOTE]

you're reading too much into the wii2 no 3d thing. There's no way any nintendo head would say they learned a lesson from the 3ds so the wii2 won't have 3D. If so they'd be shot. The wii2 won't have 3D because it doesn't have a screen. It'd have to play nice with whatever existing 3D technology for TVs is out there. IF their graphics card could process it.

There's no way nintendo abandons 3D support a month after the release of the 3DS. Shit, they stuck by the dumb wiispeak for at least a year and a half and that was just a peripheral.

(This actually reminds me of some CAG who insisted that a nintendo exec said they'd have launched the 3ds at a lower price if the reaction to it wasn't so awesome. Turns out he read a blog post of another blog who mistranslated an interview. :roll:)

Anyway, I'm not saying it *should* be called a failure. I was just wondering why you chose slow burn.

[quote name='confoosious']I am curious why you're calling it a "slow burner" as opposed to "a failure". What in the past indicates that sales will continue as a steady stream?[/QUOTE]The lack of a "killer app" caused the 3DS to do the numbers that it did. While this is similar to the PS3 launch(starting off strong, then dropping off shortly thereafter), this is Nintendo we're talking about. The minute Mario Kart, SMB3D, or something Pokemon hits the 3DS, the sales will increase.

[quote name='confoosious']Mario Kart 3D could be the killer app.

I believe Mario Kart Wii is the best selling non pack in game of all time.[/QUOTE]

That goes to Call of Duty: Black Ops now.

400,000 sales for the first WEEK is great. In comparison, the DS sells 400,000 or so a MONTH.

The 3DS is much more expensive and new, so it also has that going against it. It will pick up.

[quote name='confoosious']I am curious why you're calling it a "slow burner" as opposed to "a failure". What in the past indicates that sales will continue as a steady stream?

For those of us who already made a hardware investment, we need the 3ds to sell more and more so there's third party support.[/QUOTE]
I say that because I know the system won't be a total failure. I expect sales to pick up by Christmas and throughout next year.
[quote name='flameofdoom666']400,000 sales for the first WEEK is great. In comparison, the DS sells 400,000 or so a MONTH.

The 3DS is much more expensive and new, so it also has that going against it. It will pick up.[/QUOTE]It is not really since sales for new products are always front loaded. Next few months will be even lower.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']400,000 sales for the first WEEK is great. In comparison, the DS sells 400,000 or so a MONTH.

The 3DS is much more expensive and new, so it also has that going against it. It will pick up.[/QUOTE]

It is a decent #, the original DS sold ~500k in its first week during the run up to the Holiday season. Not what analysts were expecting, but then again, the analysts seem to frequently miss the mark.

The 3DS is much more expensive and new, so it also has that going against it. It will pick up.[/QUOTE]

By comparison, Kinect sold 480k ($150), Wii 600k ($250), PSP 600k ($250).

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Glad to see Nintendogs+Cats bomb. Seems like Ghost Recon got a boost from good word of mouth.[/QUOTE]

I really wanted to like Nintendogs. I did. But it's really the same game we've already played. Yes, everything is fluffier and there are Miis. It feels like the original Nintendogs, only slower. As soon as I got Pilotwings, I stopped playing Nintendogs.

[quote name='nbballard']I got bored the other night with FaceRaiders and started using my DVR to pause when actors were looking straight into the screen. I got some pretty funny ones out of it- my favorite is Bill Cosby.[/QUOTE]

That's so awesome. Bill Cosby would transition to that game so perfectly, what with all the faces he makes naturally.

[quote name='BlueSwim']The lack of a "killer app" caused the 3DS to do the numbers that it did. While this is similar to the PS3 launch(starting off strong, then dropping off shortly thereafter), this is Nintendo we're talking about. The minute Mario Kart, SMB3D, or something Pokemon hits the 3DS, the sales will increase.[/QUOTE]

A part of me wonders if Nintendo was being generous to third parties by allowing them to not be overshadowed by, say, Kid Icarus at launch. Who would have looked at the third party list if Ocarina of Time had been a launch title?

Aye. Nintendo apparently priced this thing due to reaction at E3 and press hype so they have a lot of leeway to lower the price quickly and there's still a lot of room for better games to come. It's just a matter of time, really.

I guess I'm the only one not being too analytical over the sales. My position is simply, "There wasn't a killer app so needless to say I expected the sales to be strong but not fantastic". Not to say the software lineup was bad, it was damn good really but it just didn't have a real AAA title. It may also help to market the damn system as a successor with clearly better graphics.

But they have plenty of time really, now if killer apps like OoT and MK fail to ignite sales, then we'll talk about "failure" if applicable. I'm thinking once software gets out the door here in a few months, sales will naturally increase. And once the holiday season rolls around, which is when Nintendo really sells the most, they'll probably bundle the 3DS with a game and advertise the living hell out of it. With MK around the corner, it'll do high sale figures no doubt.

So to add a bit more, seems like Street Fighter sold about 95k which means Pilotwings is about 45k.

That means sales were likely pretty poor all around for the rest of the games and that Capcom way overshipped its game.

Maybe some of you 3DS owners aren't aware of something neat about the Friend List...you can slide your stylus on the wheel of Friend IDs fast & off and the wheel will sort of spin...just by few or several IDs. Just found out by accident earlier in the day.

The semester is wrapping up and I've been super busy, but I look forward to really diving into my games in about two weeks.

The numbers sold seem decent. I also will echo the statment that the games at launch were lacking for most folks. I'm sure the numbers are not amazing because its not like the DS is dead and people were dying for a new portable. As soon as you get the folks who want to upgrade because less and less DS games are getting released the numbers will creep upward. So I don't think anyone should really start to panic at this point.

And I'll add I'm glad Nintendogs did poorly, I was unimpressed by the DS version and was pretty sure Nintendo went the lazy route and didn't improve the core game play.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Aye. Nintendo apparently priced this thing due to reaction at E3 and press hype so they have a lot of leeway to lower the price quickly and there's still a lot of room for better games to come. It's just a matter of time, really.[/QUOTE]

I actually referenced this earlier today. That whole priced it because of press hype at $250 is not true. It was a mistranslation of an interview of a japanese interview that some blogger went with and then the idiots at game informer picked up.

Well this is odd, it looks like my 3DS charger has died completely. I noticed it about a week or so ago when I had to sometimes unplug the thing to let it discharge and plug it back in so the 3DS battery will charge. A couple days ago I would have to do this twice during the full charge cycle to let it charge completely or almost. Now it doesn't charge no matter what, either in the cradle or connecting it to the 3DS. I'm sure my unit is not at fault, most likely the charger itself.

Sales for the first week of a portable are not bad at all... Especially for the most expensive Nintendo made handheld of all time. Just wait until the Holidays when the library has more going on for it, and the digital store is in full swing. Most people who have interest and haven't gotten one yet are waiting for more games. As mentioned before, once less DS games come out and higher quality 3DS games make their way out - it'll most certainly sell much better. It really is only a matter of time. So it sold less than what they expected, it's certainly not a failure by any means and I don't think it's even close to being time to panic.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I really wanted to like Nintendogs. I did. But it's really the same game we've already played. Yes, everything is fluffier and there are Miis. It feels like the original Nintendogs, only slower. As soon as I got Pilotwings, I stopped playing Nintendogs. [/quote]

I never had the original, so hopefully I'll get some enjoyment out of it. That ^ sounds EXACTLY like my experiences with Animal Crossing though. I loved it at first on my Gamecube, played it for a few months until I eventually lost interest. Tried it on the DS, and I thought a portable was an even better platform for it. But I just couldn't' do it again, and also found the interface really tedious. (Although now that I'm thinking about it, I ALMOST wouldn't mind playing it again some day, at least up through my house being payed off :lol: )

[quote name='Wolfpup']I never had the original, so hopefully I'll get some enjoyment out of it. That ^ sounds EXACTLY like my experiences with Animal Crossing though. I loved it at first on my Gamecube, played it for a few months until I eventually lost interest. Tried it on the DS, and I thought a portable was an even better platform for it. But I just couldn't' do it again, and also found the interface really tedious. (Although now that I'm thinking about it, I ALMOST wouldn't mind playing it again some day, at least up through my house being payed off :lol: )[/QUOTE]

Nintendo is fucking lazy.

[quote name='jbug617']Bought mines today. Picked up SSF4 and Star Wars.[/QUOTE]

*snorts* Latecomer... :D

Just kidding. Enjoy your new toy....it's awesome. Can't wait for more 3DS games to arrive.

No matter how much it has sold, I love this damn thing. As long as the next year of releases goes as planned, I'm totally satisfied.

Nintendo needs a huge marketing blitz with this, though, one that I expect to come around the same time as Zelda. Besides price, one of the bigger issues is that the public doesn't understand that this is a brand new system, which isn't helped by the '3DS' moniker.

Anecdotal evidence, sure, but when I've talked about it at work, the first thing people ask is 'So, besides the 3D, is there anything else new?'. They literally have no idea that it isn't just another iteration of the DS that just happens to do 3D.

Huge marketing blitz for casuals plus a name-recognition game out? Exactly what this system needs to really take off.

[quote name='007']No matter how much it has sold, I love this damn thing. As long as the next year of releases goes as planned, I'm totally satisfied.

Nintendo needs a huge marketing blitz with this, though, one that I expect to come around the same time as Zelda. Besides price, one of the bigger issues is that the public doesn't understand that this is a brand new system, which isn't helped by the '3DS' moniker.

Anecdotal evidence, sure, but when I've talked about it at work, the first thing people ask is 'So, besides the 3D, is there anything else new?'. They literally have no idea that it isn't just another iteration of the DS that just happens to do 3D.

Huge marketing blitz for casuals plus a name-recognition game out? Exactly what this system needs to really take off.[/QUOTE]

Woah, that's scary. I didn't realize that was going to be an issue.

And it's not just the "so how is this Playstation 2 different from the Playstation 1?" type of sillyness I've heard people say?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Woah, that's scary. I didn't realize that was going to be an issue.

And it's not just the "so how is this Playstation 2 different from the Playstation 1?" type of sillyness I've heard people say?[/QUOTE]

Maybe I wasn't that savvy on PS1 and PS2, but wasn't PS2 just a graphical upgrade to PS1?

Same could kinda be said about the 3DS, but I believe enough changes have been made to the 3DS to set it more apart than a PS1 to PS2 comparison.

[quote name='seanr1221']The PS2 being a dvd player was the huge difference (besides the graphics).

Once again, Wolfpup doesn't know what she is saying.[/QUOTE]

Double HUH?

What is this I "don't know what I'm saying", and what's this "once again"?

I had a little kid who was clearly watching me play SSFIV ask if the graphics are new on the 3DS o_O. Wow I just did not know some people can't tell and have knowledge that the system exists but does not know it is a brand new system. Is it them or is marketing at fault?

bread's done
Back