Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

Like most I do think the Switch was rushed to market. Not having Netflix and YouTube at launch is a clear sign of that. them for Wii or Wii U.
Honestly, "N" has never wanted or saw a need to do those extra services, so no surprise they aren't being offered here from the start. In their minds, their software is all that is needed, and should be enough to entertain any audience for any device.

I honestly have no need for a browser, or Youtube, Facebook, or whatever else they aren't offering, but to be selling a device for $300+, it should have EVERY possible item that any other modern device has. All this shows me is how clueless and out of touch they are.

If they want the casual market, shit like this ain't gonna make it happen. If their after the more core gamer, they need a device that can offer current gen games, without having to make sacrifices. The NS seems like a jack of all trades device, and is a master of none.

In the end, it just looks like "N" is hedging their bets, and trying many different possibilities, and see where the market takes them, but going with the tide, will sure as shit run you aground, and that is what I see unfolding in the next 12 months.

Honestly, I don't see the casuals having much interest in this. On the surface, it appears to be a tablet. Now we all know it's more than that, but to see it, that is probably the first reaction most will have. Then they will see the rather high price tag, and then ask why is this tablet 4x more expensive than a cheap tablet that runs even cheaper games?

There is no casual market that will be buying $60 games, and $70-$90 accessories. As I've stated before, if the NS would have been $200 and included that 1 2 game, they may have had a better chance of getting off to a great start, but with the price, and the line-up of games, I'm just not seeing it. I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but I've seen this all before, and it doesn't end well.
You make some valid points especially about consumers comparing it to tablets which can be had so cheap these days. It not looking a bit toy'ish (for lack of a better word) or having that Nintendo style to it might actually hurt it. The saving grace here would be the display box which Nintendo has kept simple. The neon colored joycons sku makes it jump out as being anything but a regular tablet. A bit fisher price looking might be a good thing here.

The switch is going to be a great tester of the market. It is something different in the world of gaming consoles. I'm excited to see how it's going to unfold. The Wii U confusion & marketing mistakes is going to be hard to replicate & nintendo had to learn from it. That super bowl ad won't hurt switch & confusion should not be a problem. This to me already gives it a big leg up over the Wii U.

I just think it would be wise to temper your expectations a little. There's no single piece of software that sells this to the casual market right now. The wii clocked in at 50 dollars less with a piece of software that clearly sold the concept of the machine as a new way to interact with software and appealed to casuals. The DS cost 1/3 of the switch, and didn't have the competition from smart devices, which can be seen in waning 3ds sales.
Waning 3DS sales? Reggie talked about how the 3DS had one of its strongest quarters ever for sales finishing 2016, and the new pokemon game is the 3rd highest in sales of all 3DS games, has only been out since November, and is paced to be the best selling game for the unit. Reggie confirmed that there are major unannounced titles and the 3DS isn't going away anytime soon. The growth is still there, as seen from a report last year:

"The 3DS won in both hardware and software sales for the analyst firm’s latest tracker report, with the 3DS and its family of systems (including New 3DS, 3DS XL and 2DS devices) up 80 percent for July this year versus July 2015"

Not to mention the quick sellout of the $99 units, and the limited editions. Please show me the stocked shelves at any store of any units.

And to go against your point that the casual fan isn't buying one, I can count at least 15 friends and family who are casual gamers, most of them only bought a Wii and have no other consoles (and in 2 cases sold the Wii and have zero consoles at the moment), and most of them pre-ordered the switch and the others have expressed interest. They haven't owned the Wii U, so the ports are new to them, and I think Nintendo realized that they could capitalize on that market segment. Also, Zelda.

And to combat the smart devices argument, my kids played on an iPad, as soon as they got a 3DS, they stopped asking to play on the iPad.

Waning 3DS sales? Reggie talked about how the 3DS had one of its strongest quarters ever for sales finishing 2016, and the new pokemon game is the 3rd highest in sales of all 3DS games, has only been out since November, and is paced to be the best selling game for the unit. Reggie confirmed that there are major unannounced titles and the 3DS isn't going away anytime soon. The growth is still there, as seen from a report last year:

"The 3DS won in both hardware and software sales for the analyst firm’s latest tracker report, with the 3DS and its family of systems (including New 3DS, 3DS XL and 2DS devices) up 80 percent for July this year versus July 2015"

Not to mention the quick sellout of the $99 units, and the limited editions. Please show me the stocked shelves at any store of any units.
Um actually 3ds sales have been on a steady decline since 2013. Maybe waning wasnt the right choice, but honestly increased sales were likely mostly due to the release of pokemon go sparking a lot of renewed interest causing growth towards the end of the year. Here's a chart with data backed up by venturebeat and wikipedia

worldwide-sales-of-the-nintendo-3ds-since-2004.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS_sales

http://venturebeat.com/2016/04/27/nintendo-by-the-numbers-58-5m-3ds-handhelds-and-12-8m-wii-u-consoles-sold-to-date/

If you stick around for a while you'll learn to realize reggie is completely full of shit, and all of his industry doublespeek should be taken with a metric ton of salt. He'll always spin any quarterly earnings report in the most positive fashion he can. Honestly, I'd be trying to spin it any way i could with a near 50% drop in sales between 2014-2016.

Calling the the 3ds lineup through the holiday season anemic would be generous. Besides fire emblem, what even has a release date that doesn't look like shovelware? Reggie pulled the same line of crap about the ds not replacing the gba, its called hedging your bets. If the switch takes off, you better believe they'll be shifting all development to it.

A fire sale of a limited print item available only on black friday selling out isn't exactly a reasonable metric to measure demand.

I'm honestly not even going to respond to your anecdotal arguments. I liked it a lot more when you tried to use real data to contradict my claim.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

Last edited by a moderator:
You can carry around an iPad and play angry birds or a switch and Mario kart. Just because they are portable screens you can play on doesn't make them identical.

I don't think anything will ever match wii sales going forward, and I think the only way this bombs is due to Nintendo being Nintendo. The concept is great and if it catches on would force Sony/Microsoft to copy it in some way going forward.

Personally I think having 1,2 switch bundled with the system (however odd it may be) would have went a long way towards driving sales. Nintendo is being greedy offering it alone and I will be very surprised if it sells very well at all at $60 $50 just being a party game. It's a selfish move that I think is going to hurt them in the short run which they really can't afford to have happen after wii u.

You can carry around an iPad and play angry birds or a switch and Mario kart. Just because they are portable screens you can play on doesn't make them identical.
I don't think anything will ever match wii sales going forward, and I think the only way this bombs is due to Nintendo being Nintendo. The concept is great and if it catches on would force Sony/Microsoft to copy it in some way going forward.
Personally I think having 1,2 switch bundled with the system (however odd it may be) would have went a long way towards driving sales. Nintendo is being greedy offering it alone and I will be very surprised if it sells very well at all at $60 $50 just being a party game. It's a selfish move that I think is going to hurt them in the short run which they really can't afford to have happen after wii u.
Angry Birds? If you're going to argue, at least be fair and not ignorant. I have an iPad Pro with Bluetooth controller and I play Gta 3, Gta san Andreas, Star Wars KOTOR, Goat Simulator, Bully (rockstar), Assassins Creed Identity, Call of Duty Zombies, Fahrenheit: Indego Prophecy, Jade Empire Special Edition, Don't Starve, Steamworld heist, and a lot more non classics that I can't think of at the moment. Not to mention the countless other 'crap' touch games out there.

It's a very capable portable 'console' that I will likely play more than my Switch, but I will still enjoy the hell out of my switch.

Angry Birds? If you're going to argue, at least be fair and not ignorant. I have an iPad Pro with Bluetooth controller and I play Gta 3, Gta san Andreas, Star Wars KOTOR, Goat Simulator, Bully (rockstar), Assassins Creed Identity, Call of Duty Zombies, Fahrenheit: Indego Prophecy, Jade Empire Special Edition, Don't Starve, Steamworld heist, and a lot more non classics that I can't think of at the moment. Not to mention the countless other 'crap' touch games out there.

It's a very capable portable 'console' that I will likely play more than my Switch, but I will still enjoy the hell out of my switch.
Thought we were talking about casuals, I doubt a lot of casual ipad gamers are playing a lot of gta or cod on their ipads. How many casual appstore gamers carry around a bluetooth controller? Not sure I am the one being ignorant.

It's a selfish move that I think is going to hurt them in the short run which they really can't afford to have happen after wii u.
Since the first reveal of the NS, I was thinking OK, they may be on to something here. Then after the second showing at the beginning of the year, All I saw was the same "N" I've been seeing for the last decade or so. The same company trying to squeeze every possible dime from the few fans they have left following them in to the abyss.

When NoA stopped including the charging adapter for the N3DS, I knew it was the end of any bit of any good business sense they could have had left. Yes,any good business needs to save dollars and cents anywhere they can, but charging full price for pack in games, or nickel and diming consumers by not including a cable that cost pennies on the dollar, really?

"N" loves to state how they aren't in competition with others in the industry, which I do in fact think they believe, as their business choices flesh that out. But when an average consumer(not fans posting on a gaming website) sees the NS next to Apple, Sony & MS at retail or any number of tablets and smart phones, they are in fact in competition with others, if they want to acknowledge it or not. No one is spending $400-$500 on an impulse buy, they are going to look at what device offers the most, for the least(browsers, Netflix, Youtube, etc). In comparison, the NS is offering the least, for the most. It's like buying stocks, you buy low and sale high, It's not buy high, and sale low.

The NS is entering a very competitive market, and it just looks very unprepared for the task at hand. For a system that was announced so long ago, I question what has been going on all this time. Was the HD rumble more important than having base services in place that a child's $50 tablet has? While HD rumble seems very cool, that isn't something the average person will care about, being able to watch movies or browse the web, is something they will care about.

"N" seems to still be spending major time, on minor things!

Since the first reveal of the NS, I was thinking OK, they may be on to something here. Then after the second showing at the beginning of the year, All I saw was the same "N" I've been seeing for the last decade or so. The same company trying to squeeze every possible dime from the few fans they have left following them in to the abyss.

When NoA stopped including the charging adapter for the N3DS, I knew it was the end of any bit of any good business sense they could have had left. Yes,any good business needs to save dollars and cents anywhere they can, but charging full price for pack in games, or nickel and diming consumers by not including a cable that cost pennies on the dollar, really?

"N" loves to state how they aren't in competition with others in the industry, which I do in fact think they believe, as their business choices flesh that out. But when an average consumer(not fans posting on a gaming website) sees the NS next to Apple, Sony & MS at retail or any number of tablets and smart phones, they are in fact in competition with others, if they want to acknowledge it or not. No one is spending $400-$500 on an impulse buy, they are going to look at what device offers the most, for the least(browsers, Netflix, Youtube, etc). In comparison, the NS is offering the least, for the most. It's like buying stocks, you buy low and sale high, It's not buy high, and sale low.

The NS is entering a very competitive market, and it just looks very unprepared for the task at hand. For a system that was announced so long ago, I question what has been going on all this time. Was the HD rumble more important than having base services in place that a child's $50 tablet has? While HD rumble seems very cool, that isn't something the average person will care about, being able to watch movies or browse the web, is something they will care about.

Thank you for explaining the same way I feel in a smart thought-out way.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Their whole point was to change the way we play not the way we watch Netflix. They're even throwing out Android/IOS games to bring attention to their full sized games. Anybody concerned with a media console probably already has one.

I think they should have had a browser ready at launch, but I think they have their priorities right here. Can you imagine them issuing new joycons "Now with HD Rumble!" down the road? Who would adopt/support that?

Um actually 3ds sales have been on a steady decline since 2013. Maybe waning wasnt the right choice, but honestly increased sales were likely mostly due to the release of pokemon go sparking a lot of renewed interest causing growth towards the end of the year. Here's a chart with data backed up by venturebeat and wikipedia

worldwide-sales-of-the-nintendo-3ds-since-2004.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS_sales

http://venturebeat.com/2016/04/27/nintendo-by-the-numbers-58-5m-3ds-handhelds-and-12-8m-wii-u-consoles-sold-to-date/
I don't know if you just didn't notice, but all the sales figures you gave here only run through March 31, 2016. Between then and December 31, Nintendo sold 6.45 million more 3DSs, which means that by the end of this FY (3/31/17), they will almost assuredly have sold more than they did last FY. No one's saying that 3DS sales will remain this healthy with the Switch around, but the Pokémon bump was enough to kill the declining sales trend of the console. I'm not trying to attack you or anything, but using outdated information to prove a point comes off as really dishonest.

Latest sales report:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii-u-hardware-sales-down-75-but-3ds-is-up-slightl/1100-6447407/

While your point is a valid one, that's some very misleading cherry picking. You could also carry around an iPad and play Knights of the Old Republic, BioShock, Metal Slug, etc. with a controller.

edit: Someone beat me to this point. Oh well.

Their whole point was to change the way we play not the way we watch Netflix. They're even throwing out Android/IOS games to bring attention to their full sized games. Anybody concerned with a media console probably already has one.
I'm sorry, but gaming tablets with physical controls that can also be played on a TV have been around for ages, and is nothing new. So what is the NS offering besides a high price tag, that allows us to play differently?

Your also missing the point, we are discussing the "casual" market, they aren't looking to play differently for $400. They want a good price, for an all in one device, that does everything they want and need it to do.

We no longer live in a world, where you buy 50 things, to do 50 different task. You buy the least amount of things now, to do the most amount of task. "N" ideas and your line of thinking are fine, but no one should be surprised when the average consumer doesn't buy in to this idea.

There is a reason most electronic devices are now called "smart", as that applies to phones, tablets, tv's, and anything else that can do it all by connecting to the internet and allowing for everything under one roof. That is what sales, and that is the industry we now are a part of.

Your also missing the point, we are discussing the "casual" market, they aren't looking to play differently for $400. They want a good price, for an all in one device, that does everything they want and need it to do.
I don't know, Nintendo isn't marketing the switch as something you can update your calendar and schedule with and play games on the side. Its purely for gaming, and likely won't straight out appeal to the casual crowd for that, but if a casual picks it up for 1,2 switch like lots did for Wii sports then they would likely use the portable aspect of it and is what I imagine Nintendo is banking on.

No one looking for a tablet for work/school is going to choose a switch and Nintendo isn't marketing it for that. Someone looking for a tablet purely for gaming would. Yes it needs netflix and Wi-Fi and all that but because I can't run a spreadsheet and edit it on a switch shouldn't be a knock against it as that's not what it's for.

Packaging the party game with the system would have made it more casual friendly and maybe got more casual gamers carrying it around to play Mario bros. 3 or something in their downtime, but as it is I doubt many casual gamers will pick it up due to price.

Once again you make some very valid points. Nintendo really needed a killer game to be packed in with the switch & they could have done a port like Mario kart for example & even a few mini games & easily maintained the $299 price point. Had they done this and had a great online service out of the gate which showcased it's online multiplayer abilities (I'm think Mario kart or Splatoon would have showcased it perfect) then that would have gotten the console off to a great start with a great first impression. Consumers don't like having to flop down a lot of $$$ on something & then be asked for more $$$ to get anything out of it. Everything needed to get several hours of enjoyment should come in the box before thinking about having to spend more $$$. You would think Nintendo would know this from the NES days when you could buy an action set & be set until that next must have game released. I think they are looking at the Wii U which came with 2 great pack in games Nintendoland and New super mario bros U but since it failed overall they figured they'd go opposite direction. They did offer the basic bundle at $50 less but everyone wanted the deluxe so why they can't learn from things like this I never know.

Sadly, they seem to be trying for the Wii lightning again, which is fine, but that system while having extras that needed to be bought, was cheap and offered a great pack in game to showcase the system and it's special uniqueness. 

Now it seems like in their own minds, they think they have some super exciting device that everyone is going to want, and I just don't see it. I've been a fan for 30+ years, and this is the second system in a row from them I'm not buying at launch, after decades of importing most systems and handhelds at launch. Hell, I just bought a Wii U last week for $200, and I was happy buying in at that price, based on what it offered, and the games it have over 5 years. Anything more, and I just couldn't do it.

Right now, the NS needs to be $200 or less for me to consider it, or they need to offer a super valued bundle, neither of which I see happening any time soon.

I agree, and if everybody waits to pick it up when it's cheaper or has more stuff packed in then 3rd parties might have already bailed due to lack of user base. I am no business mogul but some of these decisions just leave me scratching my head, especially when it seems to me they are close to having something new and great.

We know Nintendo sold 14 million Wii Us. WE know they have sold ~65 million 3ds systems so far. If the Switch is NIntendo's one device I don't see why it won't sell at least 3ds numbers with a chance to sell as much as the Wii. The hardware looks good and fun and unique. The price is good for what you get and will only get cheaper. They have some big must-have games coming out of the first year.

What are you arguing against?

I had a dream about playing this thing last night guys. The hype levels are out of control.

P.S. The pseudo d-pad on the joycon worked pretty well with Shovel Knight in my dream. Figured I'd give you all an update.

We know Nintendo sold 14 million Wii Us. WE know they have sold ~65 million 3ds systems so far. If the Switch is NIntendo's one device I don't see why it won't sell at least 3ds numbers with a chance to sell as much as the Wii. The hardware looks good and fun and unique. The price is good for what you get and will only get cheaper. They have some big must-have games coming out of the first year.

A lot of 3DS owners are children. I can't see many parents handing their five year-old a Switch, nor trusting them with those tiny games that are more expensive than 3DS games. If this thing is going to sell well adults must latch onto it as a home console.

I feel like the Switch might be headed towards a similar launch to something like the 3DS. It won't be as hot as they would like, they'll re-evaluate, drop the price a bit and/or release a bundle for a similar price.

Once again you make some very valid points. Nintendo really needed a killer game to be packed in with the switch & they could have done a port like Mario kart for example & even a few mini games & easily maintained the $299 price point. Had they done this and had a great online service out of the gate which showcased it's online multiplayer abilities (I'm think Mario kart or Splatoon would have showcased it perfect) then that would have gotten the console off to a great start with a great first impression. Consumers don't like having to flop down a lot of $$$ on something & then be asked for more $$$ to get anything out of it. Everything needed to get several hours of enjoyment should come in the box before thinking about having to spend more $$$. You would think Nintendo would know this from the NES days when you could buy an action set & be set until that next must have game released. I think they are looking at the Wii U which came with 2 great pack in games Nintendoland and New super mario bros U but since it failed overall they figured they'd go opposite direction. They did offer the basic bundle at $50 less but everyone wanted the deluxe so why they can't learn from things like this I never know.
Yeah they might have sold out pre-orders if they did that stuff.

Didn't they already comment that Switch wasn't going to be their dedicated portable. Switch isn't going to sell 3DS numbers. The mobile market is getting more competitive day by day.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

A lot of 3DS owners are children. I can't see many parents handing their five year-old a Switch, nor trusting them with those tiny games that are more expensive than 3DS games. If this thing is going to sell well adults must latch onto it as a home console.
This is a joke right? I see all these kids walking around with $500+ smartphones/tablets all the time.

People will tell themselves that I'm not just buying a new 3ds or a system or a tablet. It's all of those things.

I agree, and if everybody waits to pick it up when it's cheaper or has more stuff packed in then 3rd parties might have already bailed due to lack of user base. I am no business mogul but some of these decisions just leave me scratching my head, especially when it seems to me they are close to having something new and great.
Honestly, I know this opinion isn't popular around here, or "N" sites in general, but a lot of the problems they seem to have, at least in my opinion come from Iwata. And that's not saying he wasn't a cool guy, or that he didn't want the best for the company, but he was a "creative" type(a programmer), who took on the roll of business man.

His strengths, lied in the creative process. Same as a Miyamoto, or a WOZ. In my 45 years of life, I've seen very few creative people who are also good at business. One thing clashes directly with the other.

With the NS, I see a creative device, where there is no plan or ideas in place, on how or why the public should want, or need to buy it at it's current asking price. It's like they think, "if we build it, they will come". That's a creative persons thinking, the business side is not a factor in that mind set. It's almost like they build the coolest thing they can think of, and then begin to work out the details.

They should have a list of things that they need to accomplish first.....proper account system, region free, good online, 3rd party support, and then, you build the best device to meet those needs and give you the best chance to accomplish them. "N" seems to work in the opposite, and build the machine first, and that is a broken business ideal that like I said, creative people do, they don't bother with if it will sale, or if people want it, or if its a good value. They just build it because they can.

This is the biggest problem I see with the NS, no one from here to the other side of the galaxy can argue "N" one place of continual success is in the handheld market. Every handheld they have released, was an inferior product to the competition, but it had a great value, with great battery life, and great games and sold a shit ton every time, no matter the competition.

The NS is not the value, or will be considered by any buying public as a replacement for the DS/3DS/ or 2DS at it's current lack of portability and cost. I'm a parent of an 11 year old, and no way in hell am I buying this to replace his current "N" handhelds.

While I think this has potential to do better than the Wii U, I don't think it will get close to the 3DS numbers, and that is the sad reality of this all. They should have made a kick ass handheld, and do what they do best. Instead, they are trying to do something, and hope the market will happen along with it, but from a business stand point, why would any successful business stop making the thing they do best? No way is a $400-$500 device a replacement for a 2DS/3DS that cost $80-$200. If they think parents are buying this at that cost for a child to drop, break, or damage, they are as lost as they appear to be.

Parents hand kids Apple products that cost much more. I also don't think a parent is going to say to themselves, 'well I can give the $40 3ds cartridge to little Susie but not the $60 Switch cartridge. That's where I draw the line! ' :)

Besides the Switch will come down in price over time. I'm sure you're right that the market for the Switch at launch won't be 5 yr olds. :)

And I did say if this is Nintendo's 1 platform. I think it is, but one never knows.

This is the biggest problem I see with the NS, no one from here to the other side of the galaxy can argue "N" one place of continual success is in the handheld market. Every handheld they have released, was an inferior product to the competition, but it had a great value, with great battery life, and great games and sold a shit ton every time, no matter the competition.

The NS is not the value, or will be considered by any buying public as a replacement for the DS/3DS/ or 2DS at it's current lack of portability and cost. I'm a parent of an 11 year old, and no way in hell am I buying this to replace his current "N" handhelds.

While I think this has potential to do better than the Wii U, I don't think it will get close to the 3DS numbers, and that is the sad reality of this all. They should have made a kick ass handheld, and do what they do best. Instead, they are trying to do something, and hope the market will happen along with it, but from a business stand point, why would any successful business stop making the thing they do best? No way is a $400-$500 device a replacement for a 2DS/3DS that cost $80-$200. If they think parents are buying this at that cost for a child to drop, break, or damage, they are as lost as they appear to be.
Why do you have a problem accurately quoting the list price of the Switch but have no problem accurately quoting the list price of the 2ds/3ds? :) The Switch is $300. It's not $400-$500.

Parents hand kids "expensive" electronic devices nowadays. Handing an 11 yr old a $300 Switch is nothing in today's world.

And given that the Switch appears to be Nintendo's 1 platform going forward and that the price will come down and that Nintendo will likely release a better/smaller or alt version of it in a few years, I don't see any reason why it won't sell like the 3ds. The hardware is getting good word of mouth from those that have tried it. IT's got 3-4 must-have games coming out for it the 1st 9 months. Plus 3ds sales actually went up YoY in 2016.

The only way it doesn't sell 3ds numbers with a chance to sell as much as the Wii is if isn't NIntendo's 1 platform. Ok there are more ways. Make really crappy games that no one likes is another way. :)

Didn't they already comment that Switch wasn't going to be their dedicated portable. Switch isn't going to sell 3DS numbers. The mobile market is getting more competitive day by day.
They haven't said anything. And 3ds sales rose YoY in 2016. NOt bad for a 5-6 yr old device when the "mobile market is getting more competitive day by day."

Switch isn't selling consumers on the F2P games found in mobile either. As they've found with Pokemon Go, the idea is to use mobile to expose customers to their IP and then get some of those customers (lapsed or new) onto their dedicated hardware.

Like the price of the struggling Wii U came down over time?
No like the price of the Wii, DS, 3ds, Gamecube, N64, Gameboy, SNES, etc came down in price over time.

EVen the Wii U dropped $50 in price, had games bundled with it eventually and was on sale many times on top of all that.

And Nintendo can make alt versions of the Switch for a cheaper price as well. The 2ds for example. Wii mini is another example.

Why do you have a problem accurately quoting the list price of the Switch but have no problem accurately quoting the list price of the 2ds/3ds? :) The Switch is $300. It's not $400-$500.

Parents hand kids expensive electronic devices nowadays. Handing an 11 yr old a $300 Switch is nothing in today's world.

And given that the Switch appears to be Nintendo's 1 platform going forward and that the price will come down and that Nintendo will likely release a better/smaller version of it in a few years, I don't see any reason why it won't sell like the 3ds. The hardware is getting good word of mouth from those that have tried it. IT's got 3-4 must-have games coming out for it the 1st 9 months. Plus 3ds sales actually went up YoY in 2016.

The only way it doesn't sell 3ds numbers with a chance to sell as much as the Wii is if isn't NIntendo's 1 platform. Ok there are more ways. Make really crappy games that no one likes is another way. :)
So what are you doing and playing for the $300? Nothing right, as there is no game included for $300 correct?

With one game, tax, maybe shipping, it's $400, that is where I'm getting that from. If you buy a case, an extra game, anything really to actually enjoy the NS, your at $500(minimum). The 3DS/2DS can be had in bundles with a game, and is still rather cheap.

The NS is closer to the Wii U in price and form factor, than the 2DS/3DS. So, just based on your thoughts, I would think the NS is going to finish closer to the Wii U in overall sales numbers than that of the 3DS. But that is my thoughts on the subject.

And yes, parents do buy their kids all kinds of expensive devices, and those same devices play cheap games, run movies, text, chat, email, order a pizza, and anything else the NS doesn't, so why again would a parent buying a kid an all in one device, want to buy an all in none device for the same price? This is the same thinking within "N", and it is flawed beyond reason.

If you can't see the difference between the 3DS selling what it did based on it's price, and the size, and the fact that it has handheld priced games, not console priced ones, there isn't much else to say here.

Like the price of the struggling Wii U came down over time?
The Wii U used a bunch of weird proprietary parts and a PowerPC processor that hardly anyone uses anymore. The NS is based on the NVidia Shield Tablet so I don't think they'll have the same issue. Those ARM tablets go down in price quite quickly.

This is a joke right? I see all these kids walking around with $500+ smartphones/tablets all the time.

People will tell themselves that I'm not just buying a new 3ds or a system or a tablet. It's all of those things.
That is not an accurate sample of the general public. Most families can't afford to do that for their children, and if the device is used by a child, it is often owned by the adult. I can't see an adult who doesn't already actively play video games being interested in purchasing the Switch, even at the request of their child.

Also, as of now, this is not a tablet. There are no apps, no browser, and many moving parts that children could easily break.

I think the Switch will sell well over time, perhaps possessing the same market share as the XB1.

If you haven't pre-ordered the Switch and not excited for it, why are you here? To try and curb peoples enthusiasm? I'm 27 and can find more important shit to do, why is there a 45 year old posting negative shit throughout a preorder thread?

Sucks I can't be hype with other fans without "grown" men trying to shit on parades.

I have a very different unpopular opinion, and that is that Nintendo is killing it with the launch of the Switch.

I know, just hear me out.

There are serious issues that most of us have about the Switch going forward, but in the meantime Nintendo is selling out all of their preorder stock. The current demand also bodes well for whatever retail stock they have in the few months following the launch. Unless anything goes seriously wrong for them, Nintendo shouldn't have much trouble keeping sales up until we hit E3.

Many features clearly aren't ready yet, even basic ones like an internet browser, but there's no point in delaying the launch of the console if the games are ready. The lineup of launch games may not be huge, but it's generally high quality. Personally, I'll have Zelda and Isaac to play day one, with Tetris, Mario Kart, and Disgaea coming later in the spring, along with a few others that look interesting. That's plenty to keep me busy until summer.

The messaging behind the Switch also follows this line of thinking. Nintendo has ignored everything about the Switch other than its ability to play games, which is a brilliant way to communicate to their core audience. Day-one purchasers are getting a Switch for the games, not for anything else. We don't need to know about Netflix. We don't need to know about the OS. We're much more interested in picking apart the latest Zelda or Mario trailer, and those are the things that Nintendo has been giving us. They're making sure that their biggest fans stay excited, and so far it's working.

Now, while this strategy has set the Switch up for a successful launch, it only works in the short term. Eventually, Nintendo needs to focus on the rest of the gaming world and the casual market. Our discussion here proves that many people aren't willing to drop $300 on a Zelda machine. If they keep withholding basic information about the system and its future, the folks who are on the fence are going to get fed up and move on. I mentioned E3 before, because that's probably as far as Nintendo can get without filling out the Switch's feature set. And of course, we need to hear about more than "complete editions" of older games or Wii U ports. If there's not a better long-term strategy in place before the holidays, Nintendo could be in big trouble.

Until then, though, Nintendo has perfectly targeted the people who are willing to drop $300 on a Zelda machine, and apparently there are enough of us to buy them some time while they polish up the rest of the console.

Until then, though, Nintendo has perfectly targeted the people who are willing to drop $300 on a Zelda machine, and apparently there are enough of us to buy them some time while they polish up the rest of the console.
Agreed. This launch has been much better, and I am more excited than any grown man should be.

That is not an accurate sample of the general public.
Actually that is the general public and a pretty accurate sampling. It's the same thing I see.... it's the same thing you'd see in the wild if you went outside.

If you haven't pre-ordered the Switch and not excited for it, why are you here? To try and curb peoples enthusiasm? I'm 27 and can find more important shit to do, why is there a 45 year old posting negative shit throughout a preorder thread?

Sucks I can't be hype with other fans without "grown" men trying to shit on parades.
Yeah I wish the party poopers could quit with the massive whining blog posts and move along from the preorder thread.

I may not have one preordered (I'll probably have to wait till after launch as preordering hasn't been convenient), but I'm hyped for the system because of the games.

I can imagine Ultra Street Fighter 2 at work during lunch break will attract a lot of attention. Same for Puyo Puyo Tetris. A lot of people don't seem to get social gaming... and that's fine for them. But for me what's selling it is this idea that all I need is the base package and I can bring it with me pretty much anywhere and setup a little multiplayer kiosk like experience. That could be a lot of fun as I'm around people all day but rarely do I get to share my gaming interest with them unless it's just a random conversation.

Also, Super Mario Odyssey ... I'm SOLD on that. I have to play it. If they bring over the Switch versions of Dragon Quest X & XI then it'll be perfect for continuing the DQ main line games. I already have all of the DS & 3DS offerings. We really just need new ports (even VC) of 1->3 and it'll make for having the entire main line series between two systems.

Oh and DIsgaea 5 Complete. Part of what kept me from the PS4 version was that I don't like Disgaea as a console series. I LOVE it as a handheld series due to the massive amount of grinding you can do. It just works better as a portable game.

Yeah they might have sold out pre-orders if they did that stuff.
We all knew pre-orders were going to do well no matter what it being an nintendo console. Lots of folks pre-ordered a wii u too (me included & I for one was very happy with mine, still am infact) but what matters is that 1st impression. I still think as I stated earlier the switch will be the top selling console nintendo has ever released just by crunching the handheld/console sales of their past. If they get say half the combined sales of 3ds and wii u in the first year then we are looking at major numbers. It's just catering to a larger audience & the numbers don't lie. They can always go down but not up in price so I understand the $299.99 and feel lucky it wasn't $349.99. Apparently they was trying to keep price down as low as possible & including even a port of a game might not seem smart business wise for them. Basically I see where they were coming from because with no game bundled at $299.99 gives the consumer choice where as a $349.99 bundle with a game locked them to that particular game. In short the switch really is $359.98 with a game of your choice is what it boils down to. Consumers though don't always look at value in a logical way & like a nice pack in game even if they are paying for it. XB1 and PS4 bundles for $249.99 with a game is definitely a factor even if Nintendo don't admit to them being competition. In the end they are all gaming machines & the price had to be kept low as possible from the Big N.

So what are you doing and playing for the $300? Nothing right, as there is no game included for $300 correct?

With one game, tax, maybe shipping, it's $400, that is where I'm getting that from. If you buy a case, an extra game, anything really to actually enjoy the NS, your at $500(minimum). The 3DS/2DS can be had in bundles with a game, and is still rather cheap.

The NS is closer to the Wii U in price and form factor, than the 2DS/3DS. So, just based on your thoughts, I would think the NS is going to finish closer to the Wii U in overall sales numbers than that of the 3DS. But that is my thoughts on the subject.

And yes, parents do buy their kids all kinds of expensive devices, and those same devices play cheap games, run movies, text, chat, email, order a pizza, and anything else the NS doesn't, so why again would a parent buying a kid an all in one device, want to buy an all in none device for the same price? This is the same thinking within "N", and it is flawed beyond reason.

If you can't see the difference between the 3DS selling what it did based on it's price, and the size, and the fact that it has handheld priced games, not console priced ones, there isn't much else to say here.
But you didn't include tax nor shipping with the 2ds/3ds pricepoints either. Nor did you include the cost of accessories with the 2ds/3ds pricepoints. Most of the 3ds models do not include a game. They don't even include the charger. But you didn't include that cost either did you? :)

Yet for some reason you tacked an extra $200 onto the cost of a Switch when talking about its price while only quoting the list prices of the 2ds/3ds family. :)

Nevermind that the 3ds family is 6 yrs old. The Switch hasn't been released. The surprise would be if the Switch wasn't more expensive at launch than the 6 yr old 3ds platform.

Also the cost of a Wii and a DS was at least $400 back in the day and that's at least $100 more than the Switch which covers both those bases and then some. That's not even factoring in inflation over 10 years. The 3ds and a Wii U cost at least $500 at launch to be conservative. Switch is $300.

Why would anyone buy a 3ds for $200 to play $40 games when they can play free games on their $50 tablet? And yet 3ds sales rose YoY. The reason people buy a device like a 3ds or the upcoming Switch is to play games and have experiences they can't have anywhere else!!!! That's the whole pt of Nintendo's business.

There were a few Wii U games that came out at handheld prices to start with. Yoshi's Woolly World. Kirby. Toad Treasure Tracker. Mario Party 10 was $40 or became $40 soon enough. IN other words nothing stopping Nintendo from pricing some games at $40 or cheaper to start with. Plus their Nintendo Selects line on the Wii U is $20 just like on handheld.

bread's done
Back