OFFICIAL 2005 Yardsale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Roufuss']Do you guys think it's worth it to go to sales on Sunday?

I only get the paper Saturday and Sunday, and just thought of going yard saling at around 11 pm last night... all the Friday papers were already gone out of the box =/[/QUOTE]
Around where I live, it wouldn't be worth it to go out on Sunday, but it might be different where you are.

These might help you in the future:
http://stpete.abracat.com/c2/yardsale/results/index.xml
http://tampa.craigslist.org/gms/

Also, if you have other newspapers (free or otherwise) that have websites, they might be listed there. Pull the sales from there and make the list on Friday for Saturday. If you choose the list method that is.

[quote name='evilmax17']
1 NES (RF hookups, Power Adapter cord severed, phone charger cord was included and might work as replacement)
2 NES Controllers
1 Gray NES Zapper
1 NES Advantage
1 Dr. Mario (NES, cart only)
1 RBI Baseball (NES, cart only)
1 Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES, cart only)
1 Donkey Kong Junior (NES, cart only)
1 Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt (NES, cart only)
1 Paperboy (NES, cart only)
1 The Simpsons: Bart vs. the World (NES, cart only)
1 Micro Machines (GB, cart only)
Paid: $2
[/QUOTE]

I am officially jealous :whistle2:(
Man, seeing these great finds you guys had just makes me want to go out again. But I can't. Until Thursday. So I am sad :whistle2:(

[quote name='Scorch']What a great deal on those N64 games.. man, i'd pay $5 for Punch Out by itself! Insane deals..[/QUOTE]

I think you mean NES games bro ;)

Another NES w/ SMB and Super Dodge Ball, 2 controllers - no power supply - $2
2 - N64 - transparent controllers - .50

The guy with the NES wanted $5, so I was like dude it does'nt even have a plug, he goes OK $2. So I scoff it up with the games, and he's like oh you want the games too. I said I thought they came with it , then he's like ok take it

[quote name='dsullo']I am hitting one tomorrow, they listed a full sized arcade pinball machine in the listing. if the price is right I may be buying it. I will post pics if I do[/QUOTE]

so what's the verdict?

[quote name='evilmax17']Around where I live, it wouldn't be worth it to go out on Sunday, but it might be different where you are.

These might help you in the future:
http://stpete.abracat.com/c2/yardsale/results/index.xml
http://tampa.craigslist.org/gms/

Also, if you have other newspapers (free or otherwise) that have websites, they might be listed there. Pull the sales from there and make the list on Friday for Saturday. If you choose the list method that is.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips!

[quote name='gizmogc'].....
Weird Notes:
Man walking his Chicken with a lease.
Fat ugly women
Really hot girls who gave me their phone number and felt the need to show me what thong they were wearing (I kid you not!)[/QUOTE]

Screw the video games. What colors were the thongs!!!!

Here is a little eBay anecdote from today:

I really wanted a Super Nintendo. I recently picked up Chrono Trigger, Secret of Everymore and Final Fantasy II carts for $25 total at a pawn shop. I'm going to start re-buying a bunch of old games. I'm a sucker for nostalgia. Anyway, the price of the SNES I was looking at was, I believe, $20.25; about 20 minutes remained in the auction. I proceeded to place a bid, this time well in advance, as earlier in the day I was screwed out of a last-minute bid. I figured I'd just get some auto-bidding going. eBay asked me the maximum price I'd paid: I put $38 (factored in with the $12 shipping, $50 seemed alright to me). Much to my displeasure, eBay jacked up the current bid to $36. It went from $20.25 to $36! My understanding was that any time a bid was made, it would automatically out-bid the other person in small increments until it reached my maximum bid; so I assumed that the bid would jump up to about $22 or so. Guess that's not the case. It kind of sucks, but considering my mom just left me $100 when they went out of town, it's nothing I'm irate about.

Why did I leave this story? Well, after reading this, you can truly do some pwning at yard sales. $1 for a Game Boy Color? That is absolutely mind-blowing. How can something depreciate that much in value? Weren't those $100 when they came out? My cousin also told me he spotted a SNES at a yard sale for $25. The one I did end up buying did come with a Game Genie, two controllers and 4 (crappy) games. Still, clearly I overpayed by quite a bit, after reading this topic!

i cant take full credit or any credit for this, i have to thank my buddy kevin, i think he came up with a great deal.

one dreamcast all wires
2 controllers
1 vmu cord
2 steering wheels
one fishing rod controller
one light gun controller
12 games

all for 40 bucks, i was real happy when he called me at work

the games i got were
sega bass fishing
centepede
aerowings
worms armagedon, i freakin was addicted to this game years ago, good party game
test drive six
speed demons
house of dead 2
monnoco gp
4 others
i cant wait to use steering wheel, i love the fishin rod on sega bass fishing

[quote name='gizmogc']
Thank you JESUS! Seriously. I managed to find a Church having a 'raise money for wheelchairs' sale, and rummaged through everything I could see. I saw the 3D0 stashed in the corner, and ran over to grab it. Ive never actually seen a 3D0 in person. Pretty big, nicley built. $5 for it! Came with 2 controllers, built in AC, but no AV cords (no biggie, it uses generic). I went over to another room they had, and found the stack of 3D0 games. Another $5 and I was on my way! I tested it and it works great, and as always with CD based machines, another game was inside (Olympic something). If anyone is interested in buying it PM me, as I don't have room for this system.
[/QUOTE]

Nice score. I didn't even know they had Night Trap for 3DO. I remember that game from the Sega CD - it is truly awful.

[quote name='Zman310']Man, I wish I could find an NES or Genesis, I have yet to see one at a sale this year, much less a cheap one. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks...[/QUOTE]

I'd be willing to trade you 1, 2 or 6 of mine. Mind you the Nes systems will ultimately need new pins. All my gennys work fine though.

[quote name='SkyGheNe']do you guys look for video game related material in the paper ads or do you just check every place out?[/QUOTE]

Go back a few pages for the answers to this and other questions

[quote name='snotknocker']Go back a few pages for the answers to this and other questions[/QUOTE]

I went TSing with my grandma this weekend cause she loves it (OMG 6 30 am) - I'm not too fond of it cause I can never find anything of interest - but it looks like i'll have to keep my eyes peeled in the paper. I'll probably hit up the richer section of CT though - might find something better.

I'll look for "toys" and anything game related. You guys ever run into a print that didn't have any of that but still sold games?

[quote name='SkyGheNe']I went TSing with my grandma this weekend cause she loves it (OMG 6 30 am) - I'm not too fond of it cause I can never find anything of interest - but it looks like i'll have to keep my eyes peeled in the paper. I'll probably hit up the richer section of CT though - might find something better.

I'll look for "toys" and anything game related. You guys ever run into a print that didn't have any of that but still sold games?[/QUOTE]

the best things i have found someone usually goes back into the house because they forgot they could put it out to sell. So just go and ask the person in charge about what you want.

[quote name='snotknocker']I'd be willing to trade you 1, 2 or 6 of mine. Mind you the Nes systems will ultimately need new pins. All my gennys work fine though.[/QUOTE]

Heh, thanks, I may take you up on that, but not for a while yet. I want to give it another few weeks of saling before I give up. I gotta get lucky sometime.

Just drove around and hit a few sales today (about 12-15), but no luck. Only sale I saw any games at was this nice old lady's sale. I started looking around, seemed like your regular old lady stuff, and then I saw a PSP game out of the corner of my eye. She explained to me that this was some stuff from one of her neighbor's grandsons; she had a few disc only PS1 games (nothing too great), a somewhat beat up PS2 controller and Twisted Metal PSP. Since I don't have a PSP and am not expecting to get it anytime soon, I passed, but still, a very interesting find. It was marked 20, but I'm pretty sure I could have talked her down, if I was interested.

Taken from my other thread, which might end up being closed:

First time that I felt like I should say at least something.

23 SNES games for $10. Most cart only, but a few with manuals. Of the 23, here are ones worth mentioning:

Breath of Fire
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
Secret of Mana
Castlevania IV
Super R-Type (with manual)
Demon's Crest
Lagoon
Mario Paint (with manual, mouse manual)
Super Scope 6 (with both manuals, though no SS)
Super Mario Kart
Soulblazer
Killer Instinct (with manual)
Donkey Kong Country
Starfox (with manual)

Then some other crap like Clayfighter, Bill Lambier's Combat Basketball, Mortal Kombat 2, etc.

Since I didn't post in your thread, I'll say it here: Fantastic find, Strell. I would've paid $10 for just a fraction of those games.

Just out of curiousity, what were the details of the sale? Were they all in like a sack or individually laid out on the table? Were they originally asking a specific price (and if so what was it), or did you just make them an offer.

Actually my gf and mom went to the sale and called me from there - I'm lazy so I wanted to sleep in. We have an understanding that if she heads to anywhere - antique shop, flea market, a friend's house and they are trying to get rid of computer equipment/etc, whatever - that I be called regarding it immediately.

So anyway the deal was 10 straight up for all 23. I talked to my mom more about it - apparently the guy has contacts with antique dealers, who he buys things from and then resells himself. Keeping that in mind, he apparently bought the games simply beacuse he could - they offered, he bought. He doesn't even have an SNES. So he doesn't know the value or anything.

I'm going to write down his address to go anytime I see him having a sale. If I continue to find games there, I'm just going to give him my phone number. Wouldn't THAT be sweet? I can imagine him getting random collections from different systems.

EDIT: After talking to them, it turns out the guy had some PC games as well. I'm not much of a PC gamer but I'm looking for a lot of old school adventure games, so I decided the 5 minute trip would be worth it.

He didn't have any, but I found the following:

Lords of the Realm 2 (with manual and player's guide)
Shivers 2 (with manual and player's guide)
Xcom: Terror from the Deep (CD only)
Return to Zork (Jewel Case w/Insert)
Alice (complete in large cardboard box)
Original Final Fantasy Manual/Posters: Explorer's Handbook, Overworld Map/Beastiary, and Dungeon Map/Item Guide (No actual game, but I own it already, and i know I at least have the handbook still, not sure about the maps. This will be good to have anyway and the guy let me have it)

Additionally I got a Zen garden (one of those sand/rock things, it will go nicely with my other one) and an ancient looking camera for my little sister (she's a photojournalism major and collects old cameras).

I had the original Shivers and always wanted the sequel, it was an eerily good game.

Also, he had a "Fortress America" board game. Apparently this was something made in 1986 by Parker Brothers as a kind of propogandic device against Saddam. I didn't get it, but after checking eBay, I might have to - it looks like it goes for 30-40 for a complete game. I might pick it up and just hold onto it for now and hope it increases in value. There was also a complete Leisure Suit Larry game (not sure which one), I might have to pick that up tomorrow as well.

I actually made a list this time and I'm going to bed soon so I can get up early. Wish me luck!

Edit: I'm off like a prom dress. I'll report back in a few hours.

[quote name='Backlash']I actually made a list this time and I'm going to bed soon so I can get up early. Wish me luck![/QUOTE]

Haha same here!

[quote name='gizmogc']Job Interview in the morning...no adventures for me. Oh well. Good luck all...[/QUOTE]

good luck on the int. I'm actually going on one too at 9AM. But I think i'll be prowling the neighborhood afterwards

We're heading out in about 10 minutes. Gonna follow the same format as last time, with 12 specifically mapped out for this week. Good luck everyone and looking forward to hearing about your finds!

Well there are a few i found within walking distance, but there are 19 wildfires around and the air is killing me. One more to go.

#1 bunch of really nice shot glasses from different events for 2 bucks, i think 10 of them
#2 Nothing
#3 Heading out now, said it opened at 7 and i went and noone was outside yet. Lets see this time(NOTHING, was an estate sale where anything cheap was already gone. It started yesterday and i didnt know)

Today was our best day, no question. We found something today that you would never even Dream of finding. But, its almost 100 degrees here, so we're taking a swim. After we're done we'll take pictures and post.

Do not miss this update! Tell your friends!

...Coming in a couple hours...

[quote name='evilmax17']Today was our best day, no question. We found something today that you would never even Dream of finding. But, its almost 100 degrees here, so we're taking a swim. After we're done we'll take pictures and post.

...Coming in a couple hours...[/QUOTE]

oh cmon thats evil!

i think you found an inner tube for the pool

Well shit. I went to over 30 sales and pretty much totally struck out. The first several I went to had not games, and by the time I got to the other ones they had already sold all their games.

One apparently had a bunch of N64 games, but when I got there the only stuff left was 2 pretty nice game holders. They were black plastic pull-out drawers made specifically for N64. I would have gotten them a month ago, but now we have the awesome casing project (check my status).

I did get Neuromancer, The Stand, Ender's Game, and The Old Man and the Sea for $.25 each, but I spent way more than that in gas driving around for 4 hours.

Edit: I forgot to mention the house one road over had a Street Fighter 2 Tubo Championship Edition arcade game, but it looks pretty rusty and beat up so I passed. I have no ability to repair those things.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']Here is a little eBay anecdote from today:

I really wanted a Super Nintendo. I recently picked up Chrono Trigger, Secret of Everymore and Final Fantasy II carts for $25 total at a pawn shop. I'm going to start re-buying a bunch of old games. I'm a sucker for nostalgia. Anyway, the price of the SNES I was looking at was, I believe, $20.25; about 20 minutes remained in the auction. I proceeded to place a bid, this time well in advance, as earlier in the day I was screwed out of a last-minute bid. I figured I'd just get some auto-bidding going. eBay asked me the maximum price I'd paid: I put $38 (factored in with the $12 shipping, $50 seemed alright to me). Much to my displeasure, eBay jacked up the current bid to $36. It went from $20.25 to $36! My understanding was that any time a bid was made, it would automatically out-bid the other person in small increments until it reached my maximum bid; so I assumed that the bid would jump up to about $22 or so. Guess that's not the case. It kind of sucks, but considering my mom just left me $100 when they went out of town, it's nothing I'm irate about.

Why did I leave this story? Well, after reading this, you can truly do some pwning at yard sales. $1 for a Game Boy Color? That is absolutely mind-blowing. How can something depreciate that much in value? Weren't those $100 when they came out? My cousin also told me he spotted a SNES at a yard sale for $25. The one I did end up buying did come with a Game Genie, two controllers and 4 (crappy) games. Still, clearly I overpayed by quite a bit, after reading this topic![/QUOTE]

Check tradelists...I get systems all the time and sell them out in the 30's shipped here on CAG all the time.

[quote name='evilmax17']Today was our best day, no question. We found something today that you would never even Dream of finding. But, its almost 100 degrees here, so we're taking a swim. After we're done we'll take pictures and post.

What? Is t a the very rare Super Mario/Duck Hunt combo cartridge? OMG!

Why do you tease us?
I did not get anything today other than a sunburn (forgot the sunblock) and a couple jars of Nutella for $1 a pop

I hadn't been to any garage sales in years. The neighborhood next to ours had some last year and I asked my wife to watch for game stuff, but no luck.

A couple weekends ago our neighborhood did it so we made the loop and I managed to get an N64, with the box, both controllers (it was the set with the extra atomic purple controller) and five games. Mario 64, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Snap, Rugrats something-or-other, and Ready to Rumble, all in great condition for $5.

I was pretty happy, never had that system.

1 Dreamcast Retail Kiosk (Works perfectly, very good condition)
Paid: $20

1 Pokemon Yellow (GB, cart only)
1 BradyGames Dreamcast codes book
Paid: 50 cents

1 Bucket assorted Legos
Paid: $2

1 Power-Joy Famiclone (with 2nd controller)
Paid: FREE

1 Charizard plushie
Paid: 25 cents

1 Intellivision II system (with hookups)
1 Bowling (Box, cart, manual, 2 overlays)
1 Soccer (Box, cart, 2 overlays)
1 Horse Racing (Box, cart, manual, 2 overlays)
1 BurgerTime (Box, cart, 2 overlays)
1 Space Armada (Box, cart, manual, 2 overlays)
1 Armor Battle (Box, manual, 2 overlays)
1 Poker & Black Jack (Box, cart, 2 overlays)
1 Hockey (Box, cart, 2 overlays)
1 Word Fun (Box, cart, manual, 2 overlays)
1 Math Fun (Box, cart, manual, 1 overlay)
1 Boxing (Box)
1 Checkers (Cart)
1 Astrosmash (Box, cart)
1 Astrosmash (Box, cart, manual, 2 overlays)
1 IntelliVoice (Box, IntelliVoice unit, manual, game catalog, registration)
Paid: $7

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a day!

All the good stuff we got today was from unadvertised sales (not listed in the paper, but found through signs on the street).

The DC Retail Kiosk was next to a slot machine, a pool table, a drum set, and stereo speakers. She was asking $25, but she took $20 (very nice woman, she said "$25" in more of a question than a firm answer). She told me that she got it from her job at a Daycare (lucky kids!). This was at about 8:30, and it wouldn't fit in the car we had, so we would be back at noon. When we went back with my mom's convertable it was just as we left it, but she told us that she had MANY people asking about it!

The Intellivision stuff was all in a box, and this nice old couple was asking $10. I offered $5, and they took $7. They also told us that somebody had offered them $20 for it, but they didn't have the money on them and they'd be back. I'd imagine it being a bitter pill when they got back there, but you should ALWAYS have enough money to pay for the stuff when you get there. I'm sure other people offered the Dreamcast lady more money for it, but since I had already paid, there was nothing she could do (unless she wanted to be a sleaze about it).

So there it is! If you haven't been going out yet, this should be a reason for why you should be trying.

New Yard Saling tips:

-Always have the money to pay for your stuff with you. If you say "I'll come back and pay later", you could lose the sale!

-If something isn't marked, don't make the first offer. I picture the guy interested in the Intellivision taking the box up to the people and saying "Would you take $20 for this?", unaware that they were only asking $10. Always ask them what they want before you offer them anything!

-It doesn't hurt to be visibly nice when walking up to a sale. You never know if they'll have anything, and people are less willing to cut you a deal if they don't like you.

Good luck Salers, and I hope we get some new first-timers next week!

I dont think it's possible to express in words the jealousy one feels about your dreamcast retail display score. tv and system and stand and everything... just wow.

painfully yours,
stew

I went to around 20 sales this morning and managed to find a few good things. I was surprised to see how much a lot of people were expecting to get for their systems. $40 for an N64, another $45 for a PS1. Most of the sales I've gone to before have had cheaper items.

Atari Jaguar System(complete) w/ 5 games + 2 controllers:
Cybermorph
Tempest 2000
Zool 2
Wolfenstein 3D
Kasumi Ninja
*$20* I didn't plan on spending so much but the woman was asking $25 and I could only get her down to $20. Still a lot cheaper than getting one off eBay or elsewhere.

Game Gear System + 5 Games:
X-Men
Spiderman X-Men: Arcade's Revenge
Sonic Triple Trouble
Sonic Chaos
Mortal Kombat II
*$4*

NES Games:
Ninja Gaiden
Bases Loaded 3
*$2*

N64:
Banjo Tooie
All-Star Baseball '99
*$1*

Star Wars Trilogy VHS:
*$3*

2 Story Cat Hotel:
*$1*

evilmax what state are you in, i want to go with you one wekend, i swear i went to 45 sales to day and found squat. well one guy wanted 55 for a n64 and 2 games, i laughed in his face and told him good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back