OFFICIAL 2007 Yard Sale thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
found a working dreamcast with one controller and some basketball game and a demo disc that doesnt seem to load. meh. i got it for 5 bucks.

A great weekend for yard sales, but VERY busy and high number of tourists in the area....since the City of Newnan decided to have a road race in friggin' downtown and a local arts/craft festival is taking place further into the west side of the county. I should venture out into that but I'll think I'll wait until Labor Day to do so when most of the tourists are gone and people know how to drive and aren't stopping everywhere to ask for directions.

Went to several sales and at one got:

NFL Xtreme (PS1)
Cabela Big Game Hunter (PS1) (bleh)
ONE (PS1)
Army Men 3D (PS1)

All for $2

Then went to another and got Age of Empires II, Medieval Total War and Diablo for the PC for $5. At one sale, I spotted a X-Box and several games for it but the guy selling it wanted $70 (!) for the system and $10 for the game (the games are stuff like Outlaw Tennis, NASCAR, etc). Dude won't budge on price.

EDIT: Actually, it's not as busy as I thought it would be. I'll check out more sales Sunday and Monday.

Today's outing totally sucked ass! I got out about 45 minutes later than usual. I missed several sales with games. Two of them by minutes. One sale a lady had just bought a GBC w/case and about 20 games in boxes for $10. It was being bagged up as I approached. I asked the lady how much she paid and she told me $10 with a big shit-eating grin on her face.

Another sale the guy running it informed me he had just sold 5 minutes earlier, A N64 and GC system with 50 or 60 games for $25. He told me he must of spent over $2000 on all that crap but his kids did'nt play it anymore and all they did was collect dust.

Several other sales told me they had games earlier.

The day was'nt a total wash. I managed to find a couple of sub par in comparison to what I missed deals.

1001378os6.jpg

The PD guide was .25
Excalibur DVD -$1

2 NES systems all hook-ups, 8 controllers 3 guns and 19 games
TOTAL: - $5
This was kind of a first for me. I CIF'd $5 for everything, the lady said she wanted $10. I asked if the systems worked and she said "you know they've been sitting in the attic for years - I don't know - OK give me $5"

Whew despite it being a great day there wasn't a whole lot around my normal yard sale area. A few N64 sightings but they all wanted way too much for junk. Did manage one good find for the day though

Miracle Piano PC Version with manuals, software, and hookups
Breath of fire III - Complete
Breath of fire IV - Complete
Crash Bandicoot 2 - Complete
Crash Bandicoot 3 - Complete
Ridge Racer 4 - Complete
Spindle of pirated PS2 games (not pictured)

$15.00 for the lot.

This guy was having a moving sale. When I asked about video games he went rooting around through his garage and came back with these. As I was about to leave he gave me a spindle full of burned PS2 games and told me to come back tomorrow when he gets a chance to dig the rest of the stuff out. Wee for free pirate games!

same thing happened to me at my local gc. i walk out, ride around and find sd vs raw 2007 for the ps2. i m like cool a case and manual. i check inside, game too. so i gave it back to gc. =D

Pokemon colosseum BONUS disc for 4$

Here's the kicker, it came with a pokemon box manual inside, this kid had pokemon box, wonder who got to buy that or if he even put it out.. it was not there when i was there and yes i am aware of the value of pokemon box since I own it myself. That would have been quite a yardsale find...

There was also a shenmue 2, final fantasy X ps2 (greatest hits), halo 2, and some other random games, but I don't have an xbox so I didn't buy them, each was 4$. For once I did not find a pile of sports games!

[quote name='LilPaintballer']same thing happened to me at my local gc. i walk out, ride around and find sd vs raw 2007 for the ps2. i m like cool a case and manual. i check inside, game too. so i gave it back to gc. =D[/QUOTE]

So you first bought it at GC, then you found it at a YS, and you went and returned the one you originally purchase at GC?

went to 7 or 8 yard sales today.

5 of them didnt have shit, 1 of them had some dude asking 30 bucks for a psx with no games with it.

the best though, had a psx for 10 bucks in perfect condition, with 2 controllers and a 3rd party memory card

ak060lw0.jpg

but the best, was the 4 ps2 games on display, resident evil 4, metal gear solid 3, gun, and red faction. all for 5 bucks

ak063er4.jpg

so i picked up RE4 and MGS3.. they would have been 5 bucks each, but i grabbed the whole lot and offered 15 bucks for it and the dude took the deal. much to my suprise i opened both games up and they were in *perfect condition* they look like they havent even been played. I also tested both and they are both working.

PS: this is my second copy of MGS3.. so its avalible for trade, make me a decent offer, or offer up something on your trade list and PM me! i'm open to almost anything (my collection is lacking horribly)

PPS: funny thing is, the copy i bought today of MGS3 is in *much* better condition than my own copy i bought new for 50 dollars on release. go figure.

now brb while i check my street for metroids.

img1758av2.jpg

Finds from the past 2 weeks:

Joan of Arc VHS = $1 (only because I'm obsessed with Jeanne D'arc for PSP)

NES with...
2 controllers
1 joystick
1 Zapper
Rad Racer (been looking for this one)
Monopoly (been looking for this one)
Mario/Duck Hunt
MTV Remote Control
Tetris
Fighting Golf
Baseball something
=$5

Kingdom Hearts Non GH PS2 = $5

Stephen King's The Stand DVD set = $5

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Jet Grind Radio
Resident Evil 3
=$10 for all

Gillette Fusion razor 4 pack = $0.50

DC controller = $1

Kingdom Hearts came from the same guy who sold me Vagrant Story and the Strategy guide for $5 earlier in the summer. He said this was the only one he wanted to get rid of, but I should have pressed him a bit to be sure...

The DC games came at a sale with mostly baby/household stuff. I ask the young couple working it about games, and the guy asks if I'm interested in a Dreamcast. Well yes, in fact, I am. So he brings out a large CD storage case full of games..... eeee :) Most of the discs were in the wrong cases, so I had to open every one just to find what I wanted and to make sure that I wasn't missing anything. Sadly, I found manuals and cases for Project Justice and Bust a Move 4, but no games. The PJ manual was missing the cover to boot, so I had to leave it behind.

As a bonus brag, all of these were 50% off at Blockbuster:

img1766oo6.jpg

Yesterday was TITS for me. I got

HP Photosmart 7350 with two full ink carts color and photo for five bucks
Microsoft Office 97 Three bucks
King's Quest 7, Diablo 2, Sim Something and Oregon Trail 2 Five bucks

[quote name='cranguy']
As a bonus brag, all of these were 50% off at Blockbuster:

*image of bunch of games*[/QUOTE]

Is there something special going on at Blockbuster right now? I didn't see any signs or anything, but I did see some game(s) I'd like if they were 50% off.

Vamlock

Yesterday I found:

A-Train (PSX, long box) $1

At another sale...
Wing Commander IV (PSX, complete)
Crash Bandicoot 2 (PSX, complete)
Tetris
TOTAL $2

Yard saling got cut off after that, but I did find something neat at a local used game store:

Nocturne $15
Digital Devil Saga vol. 1 $15
Grandia 2 $10

I then picked up the original guide for Pokemon at a thrift shop for $2.

Today I went to the CC clearance, and picked up:

Valkyrie Profile 2 (x3, $10 apiece)
Dragon Quest VIII $10
Drakkenguard 2 $8

The DQ8 is a spare for my small sealed collection (only select RPGs going in there), probably going to add VP2 to it as well. I'm going to keep Drakkenguard 2 sealed until I have time to play it...which is probably going to be a while.

Crash and Tetris are for trade, and I threw Nocture (I now have two, apparently I picked up the only two copies on the island in the past three days) up on Amazon.com...apparently the cheapest ones there are $100+ WITHOUT the Soundtrack, and both of mine are complete.

[quote name='dannyv79']don't expect Suikoden 2 for $10 :) Do mention you're from CAG though.[/quote]Good, cos I won't pay a dime over $5.

[quote name='cranguy']Good, cos I won't pay a dime over $5.[/QUOTE]
5 bucks... shoot.. i know people on here who don't pay more then a buck a piece for games.. and then thats pushing it..

Another disappointing weekend for yard sales. SummerGrove had one big community wide sale but almost every house I went to didn't have games. One guy had a few for PS2 that I wanted (like 2006 World Cup and Tiger Woods 06) but wouldn't come down on price (he wanted $15 for the 5 games I was going to buy), so I ended up buying Namco Museum 50th Anniv. for $4. Another house had American Conquest: A Divided Nation for $3 that I got.

I left the community wide sale and went to another sale and got several X-Box games for $10. The games are Jaws Unleashed (bleh), Need For Speed Underground 2, Enter The Matrix, Brothers In Arms & The Sims 2.

At the final sale, I got Gran Turismo (PSX) for $0.50. The game looked a little scratched up, so hopefully it'll play.

Today's finds:

090807131900wk4.jpg

Bible Buffet
The Goonies II
Goal!
Wheel Of Fortune
Jaws
Track & Field II
Tecmo Bowl
Jeopardy

Only found one sale that had games today. They had an NES with a bunch of games marked at $1 each, and a loose copy of Rogue Squadron for N64. I went through and picked out everything I didn't have (and a spare Tecmo Bowl), offered $3, they came back with $5, and I decided not to be too greedy and gave them the $5. Turns out Bible Buffet is kind of hard to come by, so it may have been well worth it. They're all pretty dirty and stickered up, unfortunately, but I'll get em clean.

After hitting a bunch of sales, I stopped at the mall to grab a PS2 A/V cable to go with a broken PS2 (that I have since fixed) that I picked up on craigslist a few weeks ago for $10. The cable was marked at $7.99, but rang up for $2, so that was pretty awesome. This brings my total cost for the PS2 to $10 for the system, $15 for a controller and memory card (thanks, SA-Mart), and $2 for the cable... $27 for a complete PS2. Not too shabby.

[quote name='theGrue']Today's finds:

090807131900wk4.jpg

Bible Buffet
The Goonies II
Goal!
Wheel Of Fortune
Jaws
Track & Field II
Tecmo Bowl
Jeopardy

Only found one sale that had games today. They had an NES with a bunch of games marked at $1 each, and a loose copy of Rogue Squadron for N64. I went through and picked out everything I didn't have (and a spare Tecmo Bowl), offered $3, they came back with $5, and I decided not to be too greedy and gave them the $5. Turns out Bible Buffet is kind of hard to come by, so it may have been well worth it. They're all pretty dirty and stickered up, unfortunately, but I'll get em clean.

After hitting a bunch of sales, I stopped at the mall to grab a PS2 A/V cable to go with a broken PS2 (that I have since fixed) that I picked up on craigslist a few weeks ago for $10. The cable was marked at $7.99, but rang up for $2, so that was pretty awesome. This brings my total cost for the PS2 to $10 for the system, $15 for a controller and memory card (thanks, SA-Mart), and $2 for the cable... $27 for a complete PS2. Not too shabby.[/quote]
Ooo, bible buffet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkNvQYiM6bw watch that for a review of Bible Buffet.
This game seems hillarious.

I had a great day yardsaling today. My friend picked up a genesis and games, but the only other games available were old sports games or the pc learning games.
However, I found lots of $1 dvd's and cd's today so I picked up all I thought I'd watch. Only spent 2 hours yardsaling, but thanks to gps, it was very productive.

Also picked up James Bond graphic novels of the comic strips that appeared in British papers a while back. Interesting find. Happy days, despite no video games.
And lastly, got a universal remote for $2, down from 4. However, for the most part, I really see very little oppurtunity to haggle or use CIF. Snotnocker, how do you find so many oppurtunities? Was I just lucky to be offered these prices?

So I went to this huge church sale today and they had 14 Intellevision games (no system, though). They were 50 cents each or $5.00 for them all. I passed. Should I have not? Are those good prices? I don't even own the system.

[quote name='Trikip']So I went to this huge church sale today and they had 14 Intellevision games (no system, though). They were 50 cents each or $5.00 for them all. I passed. Should I have not? Are those good prices? I don't even own the system.[/quote]

No, not really. You can always use them as 'ebay/trade fodder'

I had a good day today:

Yoshi Topsy Turvy GBA - 2$
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland GBA - 2$
Terminator 3 GBA - 2$
Bomberman max red challenger GBC - 1$

Mario Party 6 with microphone (gcn) - 5$

Playstation 1 with 2 analog controllers, driver game, memory card and gameshark cartridge - 3$ works perfectly, stole it out from under someone else, hah!

N64 Turok dinosaur hunter - 50 cents

Blues Clues ps1 game - 1$

Oh and a whole bag of pokemon t-shirts for 1.50 - to ebay they go!

Some decent finds yesterday

1001380zx7.jpg

Diablo 2 + guides
TOTAL: $2
This sale had 4 PC games all marked $5 each. I was checking out the disc condition when the lady said the guide goes with it. I CIF'd her $2. Not a big Diablo fan or PC game fan for that matter but for a deuce I could'nt pass it
up

1001381lt4.jpg

Onimush PS2 complete in NM condition
TOTAL: $2
Asked for games at this sale and the girl said she had a few PS2 she would part with. She came out with this and Ace Combat 4 and a couple of eye toy games. Only having interest in this I CIF'd her $2 which she took

1001382qe7.jpg

Madden 07 Xbox 360 - mint
MLB 2k6 Xbox 360 - mint
TOTAL: $1
I asked for other games at this sale after seeing theses 2 on the table, the lady said "just those 2 - they're $1 each" Then the lady's daughter said "I thought daddy said $10 each" Then the mother said no $1 each. I verbally offered up $1 for both - she took it. hopefully Daddy did'nt say $10 each

1001383lu2.jpg

FFVII GH complete - mint
FFX-2 complete - mint
POP WW - complete - mint
Zelda Twilight Princess - complete - mint
Zelda OOT - cart only
Zelda MM - cart only
TOTAL: $10
Pulled up to this sale and noticed a dozen Xbox , PS2 and GC games - 6 were disc only and the rest complete laying on a blanket on the ground. There was another guy eyeing the games so I scoffed up these 4 quickly. As soon asi I picked these up the guy eyeing the games with one swooping motion gathered the balance towards him. The only thing I really missed was Phanthom Dust for Xbox the rest I already had. So the guy went to pay and the kid selling the games was like $3 each and the guy came back with 2 for 5. The kid agreed. So when the guy walked off I walked up and CIF'd the kid with $8 which he took. I asked if he had any other games and he said no - but then his mother said I think there are a few Super Nintendo games in that box - so I checked the box and found the Zeldas and a wrestling game.
Passing on the wrestling I asked how much and I got the " Oh I don't know how about $2 each?" I very much like when people say "I don't know" So I CIF'd her $2 saying "How about $2 for both?" She took it without hesitation.
This made my day cause I really wanted POP and TP. The FFVII was nice too.

[quote name='Superfan']Snotnocker, how do you find so many oppurtunities?[/quote]

I consider every sale a opportunity to CIF an offer, I very seldom pay what a person is asking without trying to get it cheaper, it's just my nature now. Never pay the IAP without trying to better it, and don't be shy you got nothing to lose.

I stopped in the gas station to pick up a gallon of milk the other day, the guy was like $4.29, I almost CIF'd him $3

that...is...insane! I rarely find any yard sales at all ! :( ive found maybe 4 in my life, and all of them had nothing more then clothing and useless kitchen junk, no games :(

I dunno where you fellas live, but I seriously gotta get outta Miami apparently if i want any yard sales.

[quote name='evilmax17']
We didn't get to head out that way today. How'd it go?[/quote]

dannyv79 and I were holding the yard sale. It went pretty well, though nobody was really interested in the video games. Surprisingly, the stuff that sold well were my wife's old purses, shoes, old sets of plates and kitchen appliances. Made a good chunk of money and cleared a LOT of storage space, so all in all it was a good day.

[quote name='Trikip']So I went to this huge church sale today and they had 14 Intellevision games (no system, though). They were 50 cents each or $5.00 for them all. I passed. Should I have not? Are those good prices? I don't even own the system.[/QUOTE]
I sure as hell wouldn't have passed. Of course, I have an Intellivision II. Even so I'm sure you could have used them for trading.

[quote name='encendido5']dannyv79 and I were holding the yard sale. It went pretty well, though nobody was really interested in the video games. Surprisingly, the stuff that sold well were my wife's old purses, shoes, old sets of plates and kitchen appliances. Made a good chunk of money and cleared a LOT of storage space, so all in all it was a good day.[/quote]

Was it alot of non nintendo gaming items? From my experience it seems that unless it has nintendo written all over it people get confused and just end up passing. Even overpriced N64 stuff in my area seems to sell really well

Any interesting buyers? Anyone demonstrating the CIF techinque?

nooblet question but... what is CIF? ive heard it mentioned many times in refering to garage sales, and i know it has to do with offering a lower amount then originally requested, but i'm dieing to know what the acronym(sp?) refers to.

[quote name='reicaden']nooblet question but... what is CIF? ive heard it mentioned many times in refering to garage sales, and i know it has to do with offering a lower amount then originally requested, but i'm dieing to know what the acronym(sp?) refers to.[/quote]

It stands for "cash in face"

*reading wiki

Since when does CIF refer to amounts less than $1? Source? I think that needs to be changed. Since when does throwing nickels at people constitute "cash"?

[quote name='cranguy']*reading wiki

Since when does CIF refer to amounts less than $1? Source? I think that needs to be changed. Since when does throwing nickels at people constitute "cash"?[/quote]
Heh, I've used it in that context plenty of times, "change-in-face" as it were. It's the same technique in principle, but instead of holding out a dollar and asking if they'll take it, you hold a quarter or two in your palm.

[quote name='Gara']Was it alot of non nintendo gaming items? From my experience it seems that unless it has nintendo written all over it people get confused and just end up passing. Even overpriced N64 stuff in my area seems to sell really well

Any interesting buyers? Anyone demonstrating the CIF techinque?[/quote]

I had things ranging from NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, GCN, and GBA, but I guess people weren't that interested since only a couple came by to look through the stuff. I think the only things I sold were Star Voyager (NES), Shadow Man (N64), Simpsons Road Rage (GBA - Complete) and Madden 2001 for the PS2, which was only like 10% of what I had available.

Interesting buyers... hmm, not really. A lot of Spanish speaking people though. I overheard them saying the stuff they were buying would sell really well down in their country. A couple of CIF instances, mostly with the kitchen appliances. I think I took them all on their offers since I wanted to get rid of the stuff anyway. This one time I was taking money from this one lady who was ready to check out, then this other lady comes and puts $3 in my hand for a waffle maker labelled $5. I told her my wife wanted $5 for it, but she insisted so I just let it go. It was near the end of the morning too so I figured I should get rid of stuff before it was too late.

What would that technique be, Cash in Hand?? :D

[quote name='encendido5']What would that technique be, Cash in Hand?? :D[/quote]

If it worked on a waffle maker it could work on video games - maybe I'll have to try it, but I got a thing for touchig strange people so I'd have to follow up with the SIP technique (sanitizer in pocket)

Just wondering... when you guys CIF, do you say something like, "Would you take $1?" Or do you say something like, "How about $1?" Because I can't really think of a polite way to say it.

[quote name='Trikip']Just wondering... when you guys CIF, do you say something like, "Would you take $1?" Or do you say something like, "How about $1?" Because I can't really think of a polite way to say it.[/quote]

I usually say, "I'll give you $1." It can throw people off guard and they will grab the money. Asking a question with your offer can often lead to them counter offering! Just use your best judgement as to how you go about it. You will likely never see these people again so feel free to be aggressive.

"Would you take $$$" has worked for us most of the time, and it is probably our most-used phrase. Usually because you are also flashing cash at the same time, it doesn't really come off as a question. As Gara said, you have to use your best judgement. For "tougher" sellers, the "I'll give you $$$" is probably a better choice (and be sure not to hesitate too long when using this - it should be pretty early in the transaction). You want to be a little more forceful and direct, without leaving much room for countering. Although, they may still counter it or flat out refuse.

Part of the trick to CIF is your behavior at the sale. Be pleasant when walking up, say hi to the sellers, pet their dog (one of my favorite things to do), and just be friendly and personable. Comment on the weather, ask how business has been that day, etc. We just recently had someone take our CIF and said something like "So polite! How can I turn it down?" But basically eluding to our friendly approach. Anyway, this alone can definitely boost your CIF success rate.

[quote name='moiety']
Part of the trick to CIF is your behavior at the sale. Be pleasant when walking up, say hi to the sellers, pet their dog (one of my favorite things to do), and just be friendly and personable. Comment on the weather, ask how business has been that day, etc. ...[/quote]
this is exactly right. whenever i arrive at a sale, i'm quick to say hi, throw out a little idle chit-chat... you know, basically how all of us like to be greeted and spoken to. i also thank sellers on the way out, even if i don't buy anything. you never know when you'll be back and if they'll remember you. besides, they're inviting you onto their property and allowing you to look at their stuff, and that alone deserves a thank-you. whether or not they sell their items to me at my price has nothing to do with it. it's just (un)common courtesy.

i have a friend who 'sales with me, and he often forgets the hi-how's-it-goin'-goodbye, and is often frustrated at sellers who won't come down to his asking price. i constantly remind him to be friendly and polite; you really need to form a relationship (albeit a tiny one) with people if you want to be treated with a positive attitude and a little respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back