OFFICIAL 2007 Yard Sale thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a complete Sega Genesis system with 5 games and an NES system with no controllers tonight for $12. Probably a pretty crappy deal it was my first go at garage saling so I'll count myself lucky for not screwing it up worse. ;)

Hey guys, there is a 75 mile highway yardsale here tomorrow.
Can someone give me some strategies for that? I know the deal with normal yard sales, but I'm not sure how to approach the highway one. Should I just get out at every yard sale, look, then leave? covering as many as fast as possible? Or should I cover both sides along the way? Should I still ask if they have any games?
Hopefully someone reads this before tomorrow, and replies.
thanks.

Man, wish I could go to one of these super long yardsale events! What state is this one in?

I would use the same methods you use at normal sales, but at a quicker pace. Just try to cover as many sales as possible. Come in, sweep the sale, ask, and go. Don't shut your car off - it wastes precious seconds to turn it back on again :lol: . The only time I shut my car is if we're going inside a house or my car is out a view (e.g. sale is around the corner from where I parked).

I believe cranguy just went to one of these last month and found a lot of great stuff. Definitely the more you hit, the more chances you'll have of finding stuff.

Best of luck tomorrow!!

[quote name='moiety']Man, wish I could go to one of these super long yardsale events! What state is this one in?

I would use the same methods you use at normal sales, but at a quicker pace. Just try to cover as many sales as possible. Come in, sweep the sale, ask, and go. Don't shut your car off - it wastes precious seconds to turn it back on again :lol: . The only time I shut my car is if we're going inside a house or my car is out a view (e.g. sale is around the corner from where I parked).

I believe cranguy just went to one of these last month and found a lot of great stuff. Definitely the more you hit, the more chances you'll have of finding stuff.

Best of luck tomorrow!![/quote]
Thanks. This one is actually in Nova Scotia, up in canada.
Because I don't have my license, I'll get my dad to stay in the car, and leave it running. This yardsale is kind of in a rural area, not out in the sticks, but not in the city. I hope this will be good for old games, because the residents are further away from stores, and might have just kept games instead of selling/trading them in.
I'll be sure to post my finds!

[quote name='moiety']
...Don't shut your car off - it wastes precious seconds to turn it back on again :lol: . The only time I shut my car is if we're going inside a house or my car is out a view (e.g. sale is around the corner from where I parked)...[/quote]

be sure to exercise caution with this method -- i live in Southern California, and anyone that leaves their car running is bound to lose it, and yes, even if you're right across the street with it in plain view and it's early in the morning. it only takes a couple seconds for someone to take off in your vehicle!

[quote name='PaddyTheChump']Thanks. This one is actually in Nova Scotia, up in canada.
Because I don't have my license, I'll get my dad to stay in the car, and leave it running. This yardsale is kind of in a rural area, not out in the sticks, but not in the city. I hope this will be good for old games, because the residents are further away from stores, and might have just kept games instead of selling/trading them in.
I'll be sure to post my finds![/quote]

Advice -

Start out at least an hour before the official start time
If your dad will stay in the car, park as close to each sale's person in charge, you jump out, say hello and ask if they are selling any video games, if not hop in or walk if faster to the next one. Speed is your friend and prime time is the first hour.
Have lots of change (small denominations) in order to pay quickly...
Good luck and be quick!
I usually slow down at about 10 a.m. if most the sales started at 8...doesn't seem to matter at that point....

Thanks guys. There is a 80% chance of rain for tomorrow. Please let tomorrow be that 20%.
I believe sunday is going to be a rain date, but I just hope it doesn't rain.
An ad said that if it's raining, people will have their stuff in their garage or under tarps, but all the other ads just say sunday is the rain date.
hmmm

There's two subdivision sales going on, but I'm going to skip those. I went to one sale and got:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS2)
NCAA Football 2002 (PS2)
Madden NFL 2002 (PS2)
ESPN NFL 2K5 (PS2)

All for $8. I overpaid a little bit by $5 (I don't keep the pricing for those games in my head), but it was two kids selling them to me and I didn't want to seem like I was haggling prices with them. I talked them down from $5 each to $3 each and then $8 for everything. If I had known the games were worthless, I would have kept going to $5 for everything. Oh well.

Lesson learned: If the first price sounds good, don't stop there keep going.

Today was dissapointing.
At the 75 mile yard sale, I saw a whopping 15 yard sales total, and no games at all. One guy said he gave away an intellivision last year with about 40-50 games, but that was it.
At a thrift store I spotted two NES's for 12.99 each, but they didn't have any cords or controllers.
They also had a copy of top gun for nes for 5 bucks.

Today's finds:

091507114800cf4.jpg

Saw these at the first sale I went to, decided to pass since I'm not the JRPG type and I already own SSX for the Cube, went to a few other sales and found nothing but a Game Gear, and decided to come back. I also remembered I had a friend looking to expand her PS2 collection, so Tricky is definitely going to her, and I picked up the .hacks to sell/trade. Got it all for $6.

Well, sales haven't been too good lately. I have managed to get a few decent finds though. I haven't posted any pics lately. These few things are from the last two weeks.

I got these from an ebayer. It cost me about $4.50. There's a n64 mem card, 3rd party xbox remote, and a gun controller.

$1 4.3 gig hard drive

$3 Suikoden 3 I talked them down because of the damage. They kept saying you could get the disk resurfaced, but I don't think that's likely. I'll try but I have my doubts. I got it since I figured I could try and track down a cheap disk only copy or trade the case and manual to someone.

This week I didn't get too much, but what I did find wasn't too bad.

The NES was $1 with no cables or controlers. The Mario DDR was $3. It's only the box and dance pad. I actually went back today and asked about the game. It looks like the place where they traded in the game didn't want the dance pad. I'm wondering if I should track down the game or just sell it.

$2 FFVII PC version I picked this up Thursday. It's complete. I'm thinking of selling it. I need some money for a HL2: The Orange Box preorder.

I went back to the sale where I found the Mario DDR. I picked up Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire and Star Fox 64 for $5. I got Trouble Shooter (genesis) for the $0.50. I also got a super gameboy for $0.25. The same neighborhood also had a dreamcast bundle with dreamcast keyboard. I tried yesterday and today, but they didn't want to break up the bundle. I don't have any pics of these last few things since I can't find my camera.

Sorry erehwon, but label side damage is always permanent. A best-case scenario would be that there's no data on the outer part of the disc where the burn mark is. It might even be playable (at least for awhile) even with the damage.

Otherwise, I'm VERY jealous of your great finds.

I will post today's humble finds later.

[quote name='qpwoeiruty']They burned a hole in it! How can they think it could be resurfaced???[/QUOTE]
I kept on saying that I didn't think that resurfacing would help, but they didn't believe me. I've had this type of damage before, though it was only 2 little pin pricks. That was enough to render my disk 2 of Valkyrie Profile unusable. I can still try. I know a guy at the gamecrazy down the road and he won't charge me for the resurfacing. I might just take it in to see his reaction.

I just wonder how that mark got there on the first place? A cigarette burn or maybe it was laid under a very hot light?

Nice finds today; nothing huge but decent enough:

Star Wars: Episode III DS $1

X-Men Legends II guide $0.25

Sega Genesis Core System (complete in box, missing RFU) $3

Big box containing roughly a dozen each of N64, NES (including Lolo 2), and Gameboy games with all three systems, four controllers for the N64, three SNES games including A Link to the Past and Secret of Mana, and the guides for Conker's Bad Fur Day and Banjo Kazooie. I arrived just as the sale was starting (12:00, delayed because of the rain) as they were setting up. They were asking $20, I CIF'ed $10 and got it without hesitation. Full list coming soon.

Additionally, as a CraigsList find, I traded Dragon Ball Z for the Wii for a NES with 15 games and a console-only GameCube with GBA player (no disc, but I do have a spare at home...spare cables, too.) They had wanted $50 for the lot or a Wii game, so I picked up a cheapy to trade -- making the lot effectively free, since a coworker asked me to find her a gamecube, and I quoted her $30 and promised it for this weekend. =)

img1903te6.jpg

Zelda Twilight Princess GC
Asking $10, CIF $8

GC controller = $1

I spotted Zelda along with some other GC games at a sale with lots of toys and a few kids running around. To my surprise, the games didn't belong to the kids but to grandma (!)

She told me she loves Zelda games and asked if I had played any of the others.... just a little of the NES and 64 games. I told her I still have the two NES Zeldas, though I've never really played them. She asked me if I had beaten the 9th level/dungeon or something?? Nod, smile politely.

"They helped lower my cholesterol!" she claimed.

I justed started playing TP, got about 5 hours into it. Though I'm not a big Zelda fan I can say after the initial slow start the game picks up and is quite enjoyable

I hit the jackpot yesterday. I went to a neighborhood garage sale and there was a box of video game stuff not too much stood out but she gave it to me for $5 and on the bottom of the box was a $50 dollar bill. So she basically paid me $45 to take it. Well anyways heres what was in the box.

-A n64 mint condition with all the hook ups and 2 nintendo controllers.
-2 monster 32x memory cards new in box and 1 4x and one normal memory card.
-Brand new copy of Hey your piakchu
-15 games
-Glover
-Turok 1,2,3
-Nightmare Creatures
-Starsoldier Vanishing Earth
-3 crappy wrestling games
-Tony Hawk 2
-Donkey Kong 64
-Gauntlet Legends
-Pokemon Puzzle league
-Pokemon Snap
-South Park

-good condition genesis with all attachments and 2 controllers
-4 games, Beavis and butthead, Mortal combat 2, power rangers and Tengen

Can someone tell me what this is for?

[quote name='bobfishy']I hit the jackpot yesterday. I went to a neighborhood garage sale and there was a box of video game stuff not too much stood out but she gave it to me for $5 and on the bottom of the box was a $50 dollar bill. So she basically paid me $45 to take it. [/quote]

Haha I at least hope you didn't notice the 50 in there until you got home. I wonder how long that money was sitting in the box

[quote name='bobfishy']

Can someone tell me what this is for?[/quote] That is the receiver for the Sega Menacer light gun, it's basically Sega's version of the Super Scope 6.

I picked up Iron Aces for dreamcast complete for 99c at a local Goodwill.

I know nothing about dreamcast games but its hard not to pick up any game for 99c. Especially since my local Goodwills and Salvation Armys never have any games.

[quote name='bobfishy']I hit the jackpot yesterday. I went to a neighborhood garage sale and there was a box of video game stuff not too much stood out but she gave it to me for $5 and on the bottom of the box was a $50 dollar bill. So she basically paid me $45 to take it. Well anyways heres what was in the box.

-A n64 mint condition with all the hook ups and 2 nintendo controllers.
-2 monster 32x memory cards new in box and 1 4x and one normal memory card.
-Brand new copy of Hey your piakchu
-15 games
-Glover
-Turok 1,2,3
-Nightmare Creatures
-Starsoldier Vanishing Earth
-3 crappy wrestling games
-Tony Hawk 2
-Donkey Kong 64
-Gauntlet Legends
-Pokemon Puzzle league
-Pokemon Snap
-South Park

-good condition genesis with all attachments and 2 controllers
-4 games, Beavis and butthead, Mortal combat 2, power rangers and Tengen

Can someone tell me what this is for?[/quote]

Congrats on the $5 find but I wouldn't even think twice about returning the $50. I bought a bike 2 summers ago for $10 which was an excellent deal and found $26 in the lil bag under the seat. It took me a couple weekends to be back in that neighborhood, but as soon as I was, the $$ were returned and the gentleman was very grateful.
Just my 2 cents since you posted this....

[quote name='life.exe']Just bought a PS2 and about 10 games for $2.[/QUOTE]
Wow, that's pretty good. Get us some pics or at least a list of the games. Just curious, is it a slim ps2 or fatty?

[quote name='erehwon']I kept on saying that I didn't think that resurfacing would help, but they didn't believe me. I've had this type of damage before, though it was only 2 little pin pricks. That was enough to render my disk 2 of Valkyrie Profile unusable. I can still try. I know a guy at the gamecrazy down the road and he won't charge me for the resurfacing. I might just take it in to see his reaction.

I just wonder how that mark got there on the first place? A cigarette burn or maybe it was laid under a very hot light?[/quote]

Pin pricks are CD/DVD rot, oxidation of the reflective layer. I have never seen anything that bad on a disc, apart from bending an older disc too far and having the layer split and then peel back.

Still could be a bad case of DVD rot or a burn (something really hot touching the corner where the discoloration is). Either way, that's one seriously fucked up disc! Still, I would have picked up the manual and case inserts for $2. So many games are DO it's depressing...

Rained like hell on Saturday but a few decent finds

Genesis Games most in case
Flashback
Dinosaurs for Hire
Vectorman
Afterburner II
Tom & Jerry
Holyfield Boxing
Paperboy
Dr Robotnik and the Mean Bean Machine
Batman Forever
Spiderman / Xmen
Xmen 2 Clone Wars
Spiderman
Talespin
Jungle Book
King of Monsters 2
NBA Live 95
Monopoly
Mortal Kombat
a couple others I can't remember

13$

GBA Games
Bionicle
Super Hornet FA 18F
NFS Porsche Unleashed
Mario Advance 3 Yoshi's Island (Will trade for Mario Advance 1 or 4, if anyone is interested)
Golden Nugget
Operation Armored Liberty
2 other crap games

6$

GameCube Games all complete
SSBM
Super Monkey Ball 1
Super Monkey Ball 2
Animal Crossing
Haunted Mansion
Pac Man World 2
Luigi's Mansion
Sonic Something

20$

Guides
Resident Evil 3 Nemesis
Super Mario Advance 4

0.50$

And the one that I let get away
Sega Master System with 4 controllers in great shape
5 mediocre games

They wanted 25$ and refused to drop to 15 so I let it go but I wish I bought it since I almost never see SMS stuff

[quote name='erehwon']Well, sales haven't been too good lately. I have managed to get a few decent finds though. I haven't posted any pics lately. These few things are from the last two weeks.

I got these from an ebayer. It cost me about $4.50. There's a n64 mem card, 3rd party xbox remote, and a gun controller.
[/QUOTE]

Looks like a 1st party remote.

[quote name='worshipsf']Looks like a 1st party remote.[/quote]
That's what I thought too, but look closer and you can tell it's not. The button layout in the center is a little different.

[quote name='theGrue']That's what I thought too, but look closer and you can tell it's not. The button layout in the center is a little different.[/QUOTE]
It's not. I got it for the dongle to put into the xbox. I'm looking to seeing if I can use other remotes through that. I don't really like that remote. I just need to find a cheap replacement drive and I can mod my other xbox with xbox media center.

I am finally getting a chance to post on here since recently it hs been pretty barren.

Well after a VERY dry month I finally got some pay dirt... I was looking on the local classified and found an ad listing for a yard sale that would have a playstation with games. I decided that I should leave and email since there was no phone number with the ad. Later that day a lady responded and told me to call as she hada list of hte 15 games. I called her as soon as I got off work to find out a price. I thought it would be around $40 for everyhting so I was prepared for this depending on the amount of sprts titles. She tells me that the asking price was $100 and I about hung up right there but thought that I should listen to what she had to just see if it was still worth it. It was. The games for this were as follows and complete unless noted:

Game of Life
Racing
NFL Game Day '98
VR Powerboat Racing
Tetris Plus
NHL Faceoff '97
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot
Air Combat
Gubble
Breath of Fire 3
VALKYRIE PROFILE!!
Bottom of the 9th (Disc only)
DarkStone (Disc only)

Immediatly after telling me this, She told me that she would take $75 without me asking. So I tell her I will pick it up. Still a good price considering I already had VP but a disc only copy. I met her husband at her house and tried to haggle with him but he said that she told him $75. I have to respect that. I got to $65 and then started counting out $1s in front of him and he stopped me at $70. So I ended up getting everyhting for $70. I was pretty pleased with that. Unfortunatly, that was the only thing I got all weekend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/1397500058/

[quote name='Mirpkered']I am finally getting a chance to post on here since recently it hs been pretty barren.

Well after a VERY dry month I finally got some pay dirt... I was looking on the local classified and found an ad listing for a yard sale that would have a playstation with games. I decided that I should leave and email since there was no phone number with the ad. Later that day a lady responded and told me to call as she hada list of hte 15 games. I called her as soon as I got off work to find out a price. I thought it would be around $40 for everyhting so I was prepared for this depending on the amount of sprts titles. She tells me that the asking price was $100 and I about hung up right there but thought that I should listen to what she had to just see if it was still worth it. It was. The games for this were as follows and complete unless noted:

Game of Life
Racing
NFL Game Day '98
VR Powerboat Racing
Tetris Plus
NHL Faceoff '97
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot
Air Combat
Gubble
Breath of Fire 3
VALKYRIE PROFILE!!
Bottom of the 9th (Disc only)
DarkStone (Disc only)

Immediatly after telling me this, She told me that she would take $75 without me asking. So I tell her I will pick it up. Still a good price considering I already had VP but a disc only copy. I met her husband at her house and tried to haggle with him but he said that she told him $75. I have to respect that. I got to $65 and then started counting out $1s in front of him and he stopped me at $70. So I ended up getting everyhting for $70. I was pretty pleased with that. Unfortunatly, that was the only thing I got all weekend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/1397500058/[/QUOTE]

Nice find. I would have tried just to get VP and Breath of Fire, since none of the other stuff is that interesting. I would love to find another VP since mine has a bad disk 2.

Elaborating on the big find of the weekend:

SNES (Cart only):
Lagoon
Secret of Mana
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

N64:
Console with PSU, wires, 4 first-party controllers, RAM, and original jumper pack
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie (+ guide)
Bomber Man 64
Conker's Bad Fur Day (+ guide)
Glover
Golden Nugget 64
Mischief Makers
Namco Museum
South Park
Star Wars EI Racer
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
Yoshi's Story
Many manuals and plastic cases

NES
Console with controllers, RFU, PSU, and zapper
Classic Concentration
Crystalis
Dragon Warrior
Faxanadu
Final Fantasy
Lolo 2
Marble Madness
Zelda
Zelda II

Grand total: $10

I lost my memory stick so no pics this week, sorry guys.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']That sounds like you overpaid. Should've offered her $10 for just VP and BoF the rest is effectively garbage.[/quote]

I tried to ge tteh games separate but no dice. The great part is I already sold my disc only copy of VP and BoF3 for more that what I paid for the bundle. I also already sold 4 games out of the bundle and have the rest in a bag to take a game store where I'll probably get around $30 in store credit. I can see why you think I overpaid and I agree but I already had everything sold/had a use for everything before I bought it. I did keep Gubble and Rayman though. Rayman was fun but I never owned it and Gubble is some sort of puzzle game. It looked pretty interesting. I can always ebay them or sell them locally if I don't like them. I was just more interested in getting complete copies of BoF3 and VP.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Elaborating on the big find of the weekend:

SNES (Cart only):
Lagoon
Secret of Mana
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

N64:
Console with PSU, wires, 4 first-party controllers, RAM, and original jumper pack
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie (+ guide)
Bomber Man 64
Conker's Bad Fur Day (+ guide)
Glover
Golden Nugget 64
Mischief Makers
Namco Museum
South Park
Star Wars EI Racer
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
Yoshi's Story
Many manuals and plastic cases

NES
Console with controllers, RFU, PSU, and zapper
Classic Concentration
Crystalis
Dragon Warrior
Faxanadu
Final Fantasy
Lolo 2
Marble Madness
Zelda
Zelda II

Grand total: $10

I lost my memory stick so no pics this week, sorry guys.[/quote]

ALL that for only $10? WTH?! Lucky you-know-what. haha, nice man.

Haha, I got a Super Nintendo (system only, no cords, kind of beat up but works) for $10 and I thought that was a decent deal.

I happened upon a sale last weekend where the guy used to own a game store. I picked up Cars GC, Prince of Persia TT PS2, and Smackdown vs. Raw 06 PS2 and Dragon Warrior Monsters for GB and Marvel Ultimate Alliance GBA. Then I saw a closed box on a table that said 10 Sega Saturn games $20. I would have been happy getting 10 games at $2 each, but upon closer inspection, the Saturn was included. They are mostly sports games except for Myst, hexen, Mansion of Hidden Souls, Darklight Conflict, Virtua Cop, and Virtua Fighter 2. $40 for the whole lot. I went back the next day and got Simpsons Hit & Run Xbox for $5.
Further down the road I found a huge Saturn joystick marked $2.50. I asked him to take less and then asked him to throw in a Sega CD game. He told me to take all 3 Sega CD games so he wouldn't have to put them up again. So for $2 I got the controller and Sewer Shark, Prize Fighter and Double Switch.
Are any of the Saturn or CD titles worth anything?

[quote name='ragtop70']I
Are any of the Saturn or CD titles worth anything?[/quote]
i don't think so. i know the Sega CD titles are throwaways, value-wise, and pretty much everything you listed for Saturn is common as well. the only title i'm not sure about is Darklight Conflict, but a quick scan of Ebay will probably give you your answer.

Some decent finds today

1001392gc9.jpg

1001390rt1.jpg

NES system complete
Genesis 1 system complete
10 mixed controllers
Game AV box
60 cart only games (about 1/2 dozen w/ really bad labels)
TOTAL: $7
This sale had a stack of games on a table, I asked how much for the games since there were only a few that I wanted. The lady said .50 a game and then pointed to a bag and said there's more in there. I looked in the bag quickly and saw it was chock full of stuff, so I CIf'd $5 which she countered with "how about $10?" I quickly pulled $2 more out of my pocket and added it to the 5 singles in my still out stretched hand and said "How bout $7?" SCORE!

1001395mo6.jpg

1001396jb2.jpg

1 Nes system complete
PS3 memory card adapter
PS3 AV cables and Network cables
PS2 Sony DVD remote w/ disc
3 PS2 memory cards (2 sony)
10 NES cart only games (Dusty Diamond's All Star Baseball Hell yeah!) This puts me at 500 unique NES games)
15 PS1 games all complete and mint- except 1
6 - DC games all complete and mint
3 - PS2 games complete and mint
PS2 stand
3 stradegy guides - (Soul calibur 2, madden 07 and an older football)
6 disc only CD's
TOTAL: $5
I asked for games at this sale and the lady took about 15 minutes to find the stuff. It was mixed up in a couple of plastic bins, since everything else at the sale was really cheap I decided to CIF $5 for everything without really looking through it and she took it.

1001394pl4.jpg

4 - Atari controllers including 2 competition Pros (these are sweet, I had one back in the day) 1 NIB
TOTAL: Free
I asked for games and the lady pointed to a blanket with a big free sign saying there's a bunch over there - apparently someone else got them but left these for me

Damn - that is a hell of a haul Snotty. Congrats!

I went YSing for a few hours this morning, but didn't see hardly anything at all gamewise. I got a few little things and a lead on a bunch of NES stuff. Hopefully, dude is going to call me when he gets it out of the attic -

I held my own yard sale this weekend and made 93$ off essentially a pile of junk that had no ebay value or was too big and heavy to ship. It also helped that 3 other people on the block chipped in so more people came. I also cleaned out my storage room a lot, so I am really happy about that, now I have more space (and money) for games!

[quote name='snotknocker']Some decent finds today

1001392gc9.jpg

[/quote]

Willow! I loved that game.

Great find. I never find anything worth buying when I go to yard sales.

I hit a few yard sales today. I love the "negotiating" style of some people. The first sale we stopped at had a PS1 with all the hookups, 2 memory cards, and 2 analog controllers. I asked them how much for the controllers, since I only have one currently, and they said it was $5 for everything. I told them I didn't want everything, and asked how much for the controllers. Their response? $5. Makes perfect sense to me. I decided to just walk away.

The only thing I picked up today was a cd/dvd of the Beastie Boys greatest hits. $1. My girfriend bought an old trunk that came over from Germany on the Queen Mary. The stupid thing ripped my back seat when we were getting it out. I was not pleased. :cry: Hopefully the flea market has some good deals tomorrow.

I normally have great yard sale weekend, and I actually had a decent one this weekend but I am still kicking myself in the ass over a great deal I missed out on because I didn't think quick enough.

I get to a yardsale where I promptly spot a SNES in a brown cardboard box with about 10 games, mostly crappy ones, and it had a 30.00 price tag on it. That's way more than I'm willing to pay at a yardsale, but I CIF 10.00 anyway and I get a swift and slightly bitchy "no". Can't say I blame her for being irritated though, but who cares.

Anyway, there was another shopper at the yardsale that grabs my attention and says to me "She's got an old school Nintendo back there with the box, power pad and everything for 5 bucks". I look over there and he was right, a mint in box Action Set with a boxed Power Pad and several games.

I ask the woman running it how much she wanted, just to be sure, and she says "5 bucks". Natural instinct said for me to go look at it before paying, and I unfortunately listened to that instinct, because an older man was looking at it too. I don't know why I didn't just whip out 5 bucks and pay her right then and there but I wasn't thinking.

I get over there, see everything is in great shape, and try to pull a fast one and say to the guy looking at it and I say "I'm going to buy this". He gets defensive really fast and says "you can't do that if I'm looking at it". That's when the woman running the sale comes over to us.

The older guy is shuffling through the box like he has no idea what he's looking at, and the lady directs all her attention to him and none to me. She tells him it all works but you have to blow in it sometimes, and he says "BLOW IN IT!?". This is when it really caught me as "this guy only wants it because I want it, he doesn't know what the hell he's even looking at!".

He eventually pulls his wallet out, and I'm irritated at this time, and I've done something I've never done at a yardsale before...

"I'll give you 10 for it".

The guy buying it says "what!?", and is caught off guard. The woman running it looks bewildered and thinks for a second and says "I already told this guy he could get it (which she didn't actually) and I can't go back on that".

"I'll give you 15"

"Sorry, I can't do it."

I walk away pissed, the other guy is trying to buy the SNES off of her but she wouldn't come off the 30.00 so he passes. As I get in my car I look back over to where the NES was and the old guy didn't even take the Power Pad. Of course though, he didn't know it was, because he had no clue about what he was buying.

I'm sure I could have walked back over and gotten the Power Pad for free, but at that point it was useless, I had no interest in going back.

Well, I had some wicked finds today. Pics are all up on my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/slimgatsby/

Our neighbors had a garage sale; we went over there first thing and I saw a lonely SNES sitting in the corner. Since she was our direct next door neighbor, I didn't want to haggle or lowball; I offered $5 and she took it. Two controllers, RFU, no power supply, no games.

On the way to the mapped sales, I stopped by another nearby sale. Someone was examining a GBA with games and I assumed they were buying it, so I went right for the console stuff on the next table. They wanted $15 firm for a N64 with RAM and 2 controllers; I passed on that and CIFed $3 for the two PS2 controllers sitting next to them. One black, one translucent, both first party and in great shape.

We then came to a community yard sale where there was a GameBoy case with no gameboy and only a couple of games. After digging a bit, I found Tetris and Zelda: A Link to the PAst (GBA) and a USB-to-GBA Power adapter. I CIF'ed $1 for the three items to the woman running the sale, she eagerly accepted.

I made a right instead of a left on the next block, and the wrong turn paid off; I found a few more GBA games at the next sale. I CIFed $3 for:

GBA:
Spider-Man
FA-18 Fighters
Jimmy Neutron

There was also another GBA game and Yu Gi Oh! for GBC that both fell and slid under the seat of my car; all five set me back a whopping $3.

I then headed to a sale that had mention a SNES with four games in their ad. They were asking $25 when I arrived, I CIF'ed $10 and snapped it up. Amazing condition.

SNES with 2 controllers, all cables, plus A/V cable
Mario World
Mario All-Stars
NHL 95
Donkey Kong Country
$10

Coming out of that development, I saw another sale and stopped. I asked the woman running it if she had any games; she went into the house and I kept my poker face on as she returned with an immacculate top-loading NES and seven fairly rare games. I CIF'ed $5, she asked for $15, after a bit of haggling we came out to $11. A bargain at twice the price, IMHO.

Top-Loading NES, with RFU, Dogbone and Advance controllers
This amazing score included a top-loading NES missing the power supply, but including the dogbone controller and an Advanced controller, and a few games:
Dr. Mario
Mega Man 6
The Legend of Zelda (Grey cartridge)
Wario's Woods
Nightshade
Mighty Final Fight
DarkLair

Most of the games had their manuals and dust covers, too. Only $11.

Saw a lonely Genesis at another sale. The woman wasn't sure if it worked, so I picked it up, along with its three controllers, all first party, one classic, one turbo, and one six-button, and an extra power supply, for $3.

I then hit a string of DVD finds. A new, sealed Seinfeld Season 3 (the only one I'm missing) marked $10, CIF'ed and got it for 5, Pocahontas Special Edition for $1 CIF, and One Tree Hill Season 2 for $1 CIF.

The day was capped by a final PS2 find: A PS2 in great shape, DS2 controller, two digital controllers, all cables, and a first-party memory card for $10. They assured me it worked and wouldn't budge on the price, but the memory card alone was worth it even if it DRE's. If not, its going in the living room so I can use my Guncons on the tube TV.

All in all, a very productive day! Although I would much rather find consoles than systems, the PS2 and Top-Loading NES made it all worthwile. =D

lesson learned i hope...if somebody is looking at something you want but he does not seem too sure, just wait for him to put it down or walk away a little, chances are he will probably be thinking of it while looking at other items meanwhile you can grab it...never seem to eager

another tip is to always either stand in front of (if too much to hold) or hold the items you are interested in as you get the attention of the person in charge

i am surprised the lady didnt take the higher offer but maybe since you shot her a low offer on her SNES she decided to screw you

[quote name='gccboy']I hit a few yard sales today. I love the "negotiating" style of some people. The first sale we stopped at had a PS1 with all the hookups, 2 memory cards, and 2 analog controllers. I asked them how much for the controllers, since I only have one currently, and they said it was $5 for everything. I told them I didn't want everything, and asked how much for the controllers. Their response? $5. Makes perfect sense to me. I decided to just walk away.
[/quote]

Meh, should have just grabbed the lot, or CIF'ed $2....or $1 for the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back