Official 2010 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Hold the phone. Do you have to pay $10 or do you get the $10 gift card free and clear?[/QUOTE]

How the heck could I have been more clear.

You PAY Best Buy $10 to properly recycle a TV and they give you a $10 gift card NET amount is Zero.

Good for those who want to recycle one properly and plan to spend at least $10 at BBuy anyway.

:roll::roll:yeah right, BBuy gives you $10 per TV? come on that doesn't even make sense...

I had to. This guy is too annoying.

"This message is hidden because donut is on your ignore list"

As for haitians , sounds like they are nicer where you are.

[quote name='TiKi2']

As for haitians , sounds like they are nicer where you are.[/QUOTE]

No, they are not nice at all. They will push a baby to the ground to get to a pile of clothes. I've learned that they respond only to me acting as rough as they do. I will pick up a game, listen to them attempt to tell me price, I will laugh and toss it down and tell them don't let it get rained on. Then they will call after me and I will pause and come back and begin haggling. It's a pain, and unless they have a really good game I try not to give them my business.

[quote name='Ash Burton']I live in South Florida, and the competition here is tremendous. It is more so the Haitians here than other gamers. Haitians are like yard sale ninjas, they get there first, every time. I have found it easier to let them scoop up all the games and then go buy them from them second hand at the flea market where there are thousands of them. They are getting smarter though, recently one Haitian lady separated all the Mario games (N64) and said they were ten each. I asked about the others and she said 3 dollars, so I grabbed Conker, Killer Instinct and Worms and went on my way. So they are not that smart yet.[/QUOTE]This is almost exactly what the mexicans do here.

Some of these haitians are trash. I was at a sale backing out. Haitian woman almost hits me triying to get a spot in the yard (dunno why since she had ton of space ), running over the homeowners signs and lawn ornaments. She gets out of the car looks at me ,looks at the shit she ran over and starts to laugh. Everyone's face at the sale was like W-T-F.

You guys are making me get the itch to start going to yardsales and seeing what I can pick. I've personally never done any of that, but you have to be pretty persistent with it, eh?

As greedy as it sounds, the main reason why I'd want to go out and hunt yardsales is the hope of finding stuff I could flip to make a profit. The wallet's light, you know?

Any beginner tips?

[quote name='AlphaPanda']You guys are making me get the itch to start going to yardsales and seeing what I can pick. I've personally never done any of that, but you have to be pretty persistent with it, eh?

As greedy as it sounds, the main reason why I'd want to go out and hunt yardsales is the hope of finding stuff I could flip to make a profit. The wallet's light, you know?

Any beginner tips?[/QUOTE]

1st rule of yardsale, research!: If you want to go out on a Saturday morning, make sure to start looking on the "garage sale" section of craigslist at 8pm on Friday night. You'll want to have google maps at hand and look to hit all the sales that are close and convenient to you. You can also supplement your list of addresses from a local classified newspaper (I use the Pennysaver, you might have some other local newspapers in your area, always a good resource).

2nd rule: Make sure to carry something like $3 in quarters, ten one-dollar bills, a few fives and tens, etc. The more sales you attack, the more it helps to have a good cash reserve, I'd say up $100-200 to cover large scores. You could also carry a few checks--anyhow, the reason why I say focus on the small denominations is that sometimes it helps to have exact change with the cash in face technique; it can be awkward to haggle somebody down to $8 and then ask them if they can break a ten.

3rd: Bring some sort of drink, even if it's just a can of soda. You'll want to get some hydration into system considering that it's real easy to be jetting between sales for four or five hours--usually between 7am and 12 pm is my go time.

4th: Ask people about particular game eras, even if no gaming items are shown. Think of yourself as a prospector for gold, the more places you ask (dig), the more likely that you'll find good games--even if it's just due to random chance.

[quote name='darkslime']If this is a free $10 gift card I'm going to drive around on bulk pickup day and get every broken TV or monitor.[/QUOTE]

If you really want to be a scavenger you can bust out the yokes from old picture tube tvs. It's one of the best sources of clean copper wire and you can easily get $50 or $60 for just a few small boxes of scrap. :D

Some might consider me a little nuts on this point, but I'm always on the look out for free small appliances (with cords!), assorted boxes of wire, and brass. Even aluminum is worth something if you can get it in sheets or pipes.

[quote name='schultzed']No offense intended but my guess is that you don't have that much competition. That and you are good at sniffing out game stuff :)

I think some of the people who come up empty handed week after week are probably facing a lot of competition. In my experience, gaming stuff is out there but if you get beaten to the punch you won't have many finds.[/QUOTE]

Yup, yup, yup - I've had a devil of a time trying to find used systems in the Minneapolis area, except for some beat up Genesis systems.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']

3rd: Bring some sort of drink, even if it's just a can of soda. You'll want to get some hydration into system considering that it's real easy to be jetting between sales for four or five hours--usually between 7am and 12 pm is my go time.

4th: Ask people about particular game eras, even if no gaming items are shown. Think of yourself as a prospector for gold, the more places you ask (dig), the more likely that you'll find good games--even if it's just due to random chance.[/QUOTE]

Soda just dehydrates you - try beer instead ;)

And, dude, I'm impressed - I thought I was a hardcore garage seller, but you make me look like an overpriced suburban macrame owl.

Everything Indigo said is spot on. I also would like to stress #2. I myself have been in that situation many times, where you haggle someone down to a price and find your wallet full of 10s/20s.

They give me bad looks and all, and sometimes I feel guilted enough and just hand over a larger bill. Dont make my mistake!

[quote name='Potatoeman']Everything Indigo said is spot on. I also would like to stress #2. I myself have been in that situation many times, where you haggle someone down to a price and find your wallet full of 10s/20s.

They give me bad looks and all, and sometimes I feel guilted enough and just hand over a larger bill. Dont make my mistake![/QUOTE]

I do it all the time. I try to have some change, but even then, I run out of small bills by the end of the trip. So I haggle something from $15 down to $10 and pay with a $20. So what? They accepted already. =P

[quote name='elessar123']I do it all the time. I try to have some change, but even then, I run out of small bills by the end of the trip. So I haggle something from $15 down to $10 and pay with a $20. So what? They accepted already. =P[/QUOTE]

What I usually do is find the sellers who already have dirt cheap asking prices (boxes of CDs for 50 cents each, for example) and use those folks to break my twenties on the fly :)

[quote name='elessar123']I do it all the time. I try to have some change, but even then, I run out of small bills by the end of the trip. So I haggle something from $15 down to $10 and pay with a $20. So what? They accepted already. =P[/QUOTE]

ok now my great gma was a dealer (with stories of insane finds like diamond rings for a $1, etc). Anyways we were always told to keep different denominations in different pockets, and if we kept it all together to make sure our "wad" was wrapped from smallest to largest so the buyer always just thought you were pulling out a bunch of ones.
She actually carried different pouches in her purse with different denominations

Haha, wow orca

I went to 3 sales today. "went" as in, I showed up at the right time, but they had moved the sale to saturday only without any notification. This happens all the time here and it pisses me off. Anyone else have this problem?

Beginner tips:

I usually put the money in different pockets or pouches too, I was always told this is best in case they rob you in one place, you will still have money in another place. If you are female and they take your purse, then you still have money in your pocket. Good especially if you are carrying more than $20-30 of cash. I carry a ton of change (or as much as I can fit in my pockets), I spend all winter saving up change for yard sale season.

Another good tip on here, if you have a limited amount of money to spend, save your cash for the cheap yard sales and try to pass up anything that is overpriced unless you really want it. That Xbox for $50 isn't going to move, and you might find it for $10 at another sale, save your money for when you hit one that is cheaper. This way when you hit a cheap sale you can buy everything they have if its what you want.

I try not to buy anything at all from overpriced sellers, because that only fuels the fire, and tells them that yes, we can overprice our stuff because it is selling at the prices we priced it at. Most people in my area do the same.

Examples of overpricing

$8 used womens jeans, you can definitely get brand new ones cheaper at a retail store.

$10 CRT TV, can probably get one for free off craigslist or freecycle

$5 PS2 sports games, can buy them at Gamestop for $1

Take more then one person if possible, let them know what you are looking for, they might be able to find something you missed.

CIF - Cash in fist, if you are haggling, and the seller sees the money, they are much more likely to take it. This is a very good tactic and works about 90% of the time. The only people it won't work on are the real hard nosed people.

Go for more than just games, if you are looking to resell you can make money on really stupid things. There will be less competition for these things than on games, most people don't want toys n stuff and if you can get a valuable one for a quarter or a dollar you are in business. You can also save money by purchasing clothes you will wear or things you use around the house for much cheaper than at retail stores for example.

[quote name='Potatoeman']Haha, wow orca

I went to 3 sales today. "went" as in, I showed up at the right time, but they had moved the sale to saturday only without any notification. This happens all the time here and it pisses me off. Anyone else have this problem?[/QUOTE]

I notice a lot of no shows in my area when it's a single family setting up at an apartment complex. They can post the ad two or three times, there won't be a cloud in the sky, yet there won't be hide or hair of them when driving by.

Not much in the way of games today . . . I'll report later. Did buy some model kits . . . the person who owned them never seemed to complete them . . . some are better than others. Do any of you know the market for them?

They were .50 each . . . so I pitched the whole lot for $8.

This one is my fav . . .

It looks complete and most of the parts are still attached (unused).

How do you guys typically plan out your route from sale to sale? I used to use the Visual Route Planner on the Dom & Liz's Yardsale adventures site, but it no longer seems to work. Currently using Google Maps, but it's clunky and doesn't allow for more than a certain amount of stops per route.

[quote name='schultzed']Not much in the way of games today . . . I'll report later. Did buy some model kits . . . the person who owned them never seemed to complete them . . . some are better than others. Do any of you know the market for them?

They were .50 each . . . so I pitched the whole lot for $8.

This one is my fav . . .

It looks complete and most of the parts are still attached (unused).[/QUOTE]

You just found a goldmine. Congrats!!! :applause: I think Ebay is still doing the free listings no matter what you list it at. I would look up model lots and list it high as an auction. I found a slot car one time at a sale and it sold for $134. Research these things. People will pay quite a bit for model cars

There's a huge market for model kits schultzed. Every once in a while I'll go to hobby lobby and buy all the clearance model kits(a lot of the time, they end up getting VERY cheap) and resell them. Im not sure how old those kits are, but the older the better in my experience.

Last week, I bought some Easy Links at a garage sale for $10. Came with 15 smart keys, 11 of which are relatively common, or at least still sold on ebay and amazon. Four of them have been hard to find since last July. I'm wondering what I should do with them.

6142fb3b.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Higglytown-Heroes-Disney-Princesses-Smart/dp/B001AMFLX8
http://www.amazon.com/Handy-Manny-Dsiney-Pixar-Smart/dp/B00132HVHO

Thinking about putting them up at $49.99 each, since they apparently sold out at $100 new in sets of 2 (after shipping) anyways. What do you guys think?

Digimon World (PS1, no manual)
Playstation controller extender
$1.50 total

That's all I got today. There were about 8 sales in town.

I know this isnt exactly the right thread, but thought I'd throw it out there.

In 3 hours a silent auction is going to end at a good will near me and its got a lot of goodies, but ill let you guys discuss if I made the right choice by not bidding.

N64 complete w/ cables, exp. pack, 2 games(dont know which ones), a red controller and atomic purple.

PS1 w/ cables, 5 controllers(what?) 10 games(nothing caught my eye), 2 mem cards.

Ps2 w/ cables, 5 games(GoW 1 and 2 stood out I guess), 2 controllers, 1 mem card.

Sega Gen. Model 1 wcables, 2 controllers and 8 CIB games, including Sonic 1/2, Earthworm Jim, spots game, Mortal Kombat 1/2. 3 games no box no manual, MK3 was the only one I remember.

Atari console(I think it was a 7800, but I cant confirm), 2 controllers, cables.

Xbox 360 w/ no cables or controllers. Not sure what the HD was but it looked like the first edition of the console, so probably 20gig.

misc stuff like extra controllers, but I couldnt see too much. There were some PC games on the second shelf I couldnt see, but I could tell there was a Sonic Mega PC collection sealed.

The bid was at $175.00 when I left, think I should head back before it ends and bid? Increments of $5, so if no one else bids before 3 pm central today I could win with 180.

For resell I'd say that is overpriced. Especially since goodwill usually sells stuff as-is, dunno if that is the case there.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I didn't ask if they had been tested or not. The only thing I really would've liked to keep is the red n64 controller and the ps2, so everything else would have gone to resale/trade.

Way overpriced, you would end up with a garage full of junk. I don't touch N64 or Sega systems, they sell about as well as a mosque in New York.

N64's are an easy sell as long as you bundle a couple of decent games. Speaking of which, my finds for the day.

013611bde6490ccdb60015d756b8bbb6.jpg

PS1 Games $10 for all
Final Fantasy VIII (BL, Sealed)
DiscWorld II Mortality Bytes (sealed - holy shit, this is worth way more than FF8!)
MechWarrior 2
Magic the Gathering Battlemage
Tomb Raider 2

Same guy who sold me the above pointed out this N64 to me:
f32eff2c0f7d7472336c5704f91327b3.jpg

N64 lot - $3 for all
Black 64 system w/ memory expansion, 1 grey controller, power cable, and AV cable
Games:
DK64, Paper Mario, Triple Play, Wrestlemania 2000
Mario 64, South Park, NHL 99, Monster Truck Madness 64

Dirty as hell but pretty awesome for that price, good games too.

4add0d25ddb67ef14e375ed42b8531df.jpg

Saturn & PS1 lot - $5
PS1 The King of Fighters '99 (sealed)
Saturn:
Clockwork Knight 2 (complete but missing the front part of the case)
Revolution X (sadly not the only Aerosmith game ever made)
Blazing Dragons
X-men: Children of the Atom (disc only)
Virtua Cop (case only - no disc, no front cover, no manual - I already have a disc copy though)
Virtua Fighter 2
Jurassic Park The Lost World

Overall these are kinda janky but I love Saturn games. Sealed KOF is cool too.

7c6ae508ef281011f38547742f6fb3ce.jpg

PS1 Longboxes - $12 (IAP $20, bought along with some other non-gaming stuff)
Raiden Project
Warhawk
Twisted Metal (urgh, some kid sharpied over the logo on the front cover!)
Mortal Kombat 3

Suddenly I have a decent collection of longboxes. They're everwhere lately.

47fe32fc1cf780b4b0c8660cae27db55.jpg

Genesis games - $5
Virtua Racing
T2 The Arcade Game
Pacman 2 The New Adventures
Sonic
Sonic 2
Dick Tracy

Most don't have manuals. IAP was $2 each then randomly the guy let me have all for $5. If you insist, my good man.

a23665d26fef60a7bf0f04045b57a580.jpg

PS1 games: Driver, Cardinal Syn, Spongebob Squarepants: Supersponge - $1 each
:360: Mirror's Edge - $4
GBC - Dragon Ball Z Legendary Super Warriors - $1

Oh and, uh
0b9c0f3617c9d9261948282dca5b5230.jpg

Yu Yu Hakusho vol. 1 DVD (13 episodes) - $1
Garage sale with tons of anime dvd's and vhs tapes. Now I know where all the good Big Lots anime dvd's are going in my area. Whatever, I really like this series so it's fine with me.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Same guy who sold me the above pointed out this N64

[/QUOTE]

You suck.

Why do the rest of you come up with these great N64 bundles . . . I always get a couple really crappy games when I find one.

Nice finds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Digimon World (Cover & Disc Only), Mega Man 8 (Complete) - $2
Soulblade & Tekken 3 (Both Complete) - $2
Codebreaker v10 (PS2, Complete) - $1

4 Playstation games, 2 at each sale and asking a buck for each of them. Asked $2 for the Codebreaker at another sale and I offered a buck for it.

Friday Non Find BS
Got out late (8:45) and had a list of 25 sales and got to 32 sales total was out for almost 4 hours.

One sale I went to advertised a PS2 with games & a GC with games and I was having deja vu as it was the same bundles I've seen on Craigslist.

I was told at one house that I missed a "Nintendo system but no games with it" when I asked about video games that was probably a GC or N64 (they were selling Xbox games for $3) and the house I got the fighting games at I missed some stuff but "not much". Test Drive 5 was the only PS1 game left with a Game Gear with about 5 games left marked $25 (my only what you could say retro sighting of the day). Didn't sound like much of anything between what I missed at both sales. One sale mentioned a family member that has a Sega Master System (which I rarely if ever see anything for around my area) but wasen't sure if they wanted to sell it and it had a bad RF adaptor and was told it mostly came with sports games while another house a lady mentioned that she probably had something but had no idea where it would be.

Had one guy telling about something somebody he knew was selling fairly recently and describe it as an N64 with Missle Command & about 20 games so I'm guessing it was a 2600. Another guy when I asked about games mentioned an old Nintendo with games he saw for sale 2 towns over, it sounded like he was talking about a sale he was at earlier but when I asked him what street this was on it was a few weeks ago lol

I saw a PS2 at one sale with a network adaptor for $50 that I didn't bother with and when I left I was thinking I should have asked about buying just the network adaptor. I don't think he recogized me but I'm pretty sure this is a guy I used to work with about 10 years ago and he always seemed to be (and seemed to be today with some of the stuff he was saying to me) full of it so it probably wouldn't have been much of a deal to get him to sell just that seeing as he would have been stuck with a PS2 with an open bay (or what ever you would call it were the HDD goes).

I actually passed on and didn't ask about a slim PS1 & PS2 at two different sales today that didn't have any prices on them not caring if they were cheap in an attempt to try and bring home less stuff I don't need since I'm always more leery of any system with moving parts being broken or breaking while in the mail if I ended up selling them online somewhere.

For most expensive the Game Gear bundle I mentioned, PS2 fat bundle I've seen on CL before for $50 with 2 or 3 games and one of them being a baseball game and last but not least a house near me that advertised an Xbox. The xbox had it's box and about 20 games but nothing special and more then half of them sports games. It was $200 or $10 per a game, they also had a boxed GameCube with a GB Player and about 8 games for $60 which wasen't as bad as the Xbox but nothing that's going to sell. While non of the GC games were special I was actually interested in one oddball in an Interactive Multi-Game Demo Disc 16 (in the case for disc 18). It sounded like this stuff was too expensive because the kids priced it. I actually saw a fair amount of games (mostly in the form of $3 last gen stuff) today but little to nothing worthwhile.

Black & White 2 & Sim City 2000 (PC, Complete) - $1
Resident Evil Outbreak File #2 (Complete) - $2-ish
1 2600, 3 Genesis & 4 Intellivision Games - $1

The PC games were actually from the last sale of the day and were asking .50 each. No price on some PS2 games at one sale I offered a buck for Resident Evil only to find out that the PS2 games were $5 each but we ended up at $2.50 with 2 other minor things I had so I'm figuring about $2 of that for the game. About mid morning (I'd guess shortly before 10) I saw the rest of the games I got in a box with a few VHS tapes. The Genesis games were marked .25 each no price on the Intellivision games and I offered a buck for them all which was taken. Soccer & Tennis are missing the games but the rest are complete.

Saturday Non Find BS
Got out at about 8:15 and was out for 3 hours, had a list of 20 sales and got to 27 sales total.

Nothing really for way overpriced games today, one sale had 360 games (best being Halo 3 & COD:WAW) that were all $10 IIRC so that would be the worst I saw today if some of those games were old/bad for $10 a pop but I don't remember seeing any sports games in the bunch and can't remember any other games.

For missed, the first sale I stopped at advertised a "Game Boy" but started at 7. I wasen't particularly interested and wasen't surprised to hear that it was gone about 10 minutes after the sale started and it sounded like it came with a dozen games. This sale was all kids stuff and the kid was out helping run things (he looked like he was about 9 years old) so it was probably some sort of GBA with mostly dreck and 1-3 worthwhile games at best. 2 sales side by side I got to shortly before 9 both mentioned selling out of games one didn't mention anything but belonged to a younger son so probably something newer that wasen't special and the other some GameCube games and 1 N64 game were mentioned. Two other sales mentioned that some stuff sold but pointed to having some PC at one & PS2 dreck for a buck each still so nothing special I'd imagine.

The last sale I missed out on was the one I would have been interested in for sure. The hosue I got 8 games at for a buck I asked about old video games just incase and was told about a box of games that was Atari & Nintendo that I missed (the lady pointed out she was not sure how Journey Escape got seperated from the bunch but with escape in the name it does seem befitting) I did a little friendly asking as I shouldn't have and was told that it was about 50 games so even if this was an overestimate it was still a decent sized lot. The lady said the magical words you always like to hear when looking for a dirt cheap deals when she said she wasen't sure if anyone would want this stuff and I can't help but think that if they didn't think to or bother bringing this stuff out for the sale that when I asked about video games this would have been my big find of the day asking about any older video game stuff and probably could have gotten it all for a mere $5-10. At least I was lucky enough to get a nice parting gift from some of the games for other systems left behind, I only had 1 or 2 boxed/complete Intellivision games before this and was happy that Lightning Force was complete this time vs boxed for the one I got earlier this year.

Today was really crazy, I spent around $120 and didn't even visit too many sales. All I really attended was two yard sales, one community sale (big), one church sale (big), and one twice a yard in the park sale (very big). It was like I had to avoid three signs for each stop I made, because when I did get out of the car I was covering a lot of ground on foot.

I'm just going to list the highlights here and not all the embarrassments going back to gamestop for some easy credit.

52 choice, scratch-free rock and metal CDs
- $30
This is from two different sales really, one with 50 cent CDs and another w/ $1 CDs. The first kind of surprised me because the ad announced that the guy was an ebay seller getting out of the business, but 50 cents each was getting me a lot of solid flip material like AC/DC, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, etc. As an added bonus I don't think I'll ever have to pay retail for a Slayer CD. At the second I picked up some Don Henley (Actual miles), Billy Thorpe (Children of the Sun). All in all this may be enough to pay for the day, a good chunk of it anyhow.

Guides:

Final Fantasy 1 & 2: Dawn of Souls
Pokemon Silver and Gold
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

$2.50
The 1st sale I visited before the CDs advertised guides, but I wouldn't bite because they were for bargain bin pc fodder and the seller had the usual insane line of getting more on ebay (yeah right). Two of the guides above came from the church sale (mixed in with some quarter books, gotta love it), whereas the Tactics guides materialized because I asked at a house that had been otherwise cleaned out by an early bird. The games were gone, but they never asked about guides apparently.

Gameboy Advance Glacier console (no adapter)
Pokemon Emerald Version + three crap advance games

- $4

Diddy Kong Racing
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Banjo Kazooie

all complete in box :hot: for $15.
Pretty much a classic case of divide and conquer here when they brought out the n64 cartridges with a dust-covered console. For people who didn't game much they seemed fairly smart about how they stored the manuals and boxes--I saw them winking at me from a separate bag neatly folded, so I knew everything was going to be all right.

Massive amounts of SNES boxed sports games and other stuff - $5
This here was a case of the drive-by, I was leaving the apartment community sale when lo' and behold I see SNES cartridges in the distance. At first they look like all crap, but then I go nuts and get all chatty because there's TMNT Tournament Fighters and I think that's rare for some unknown reason. However, it gets me asking about manuals and boxes and boom, they bring out a box of boxes! :hot: From this I get the following:

A TMNT: Turtles in Time box w/ manual :hot: in good condition
The parts needed to make the following CIB:

Champions: World Class Soccer

NHLPA Hockey 93
Street Hockey 95
NBA Jam TE
FIFA International Soccer
Roger Clemens MVP Baseball
Ken Griffey Jr. Winning Run
Sonic the Hedgehog Chaos (for Gamegear)
A handful of other Geargear boxes (Power Rangers, Aladdin, etc.)

On top of this the son who's away at college has a Playstation collection lying around, so they don't want to sell it but I ask anyhow if I could see it. Turns out it's mostly skateboarding and sports drek, but somehow there's this Dino Crisis with Like New Discs and no manual that gets magnetized and slurped onto my consumer maw for 50 cents.

Was I done yet? Hell no! The twice a year 80-to-100-vendor Park sale awaited...

U.N. Squadron

Act Raiser 2
Mario is Missing

all cart-only for
$5.50.

Ikaruga (disc and manual only in a gamecube case, no front liner)
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Complete)

Somewhere between $15-18 for both (bought in a bundle, depends on what sort of gs credit I get from the rest).

The DVD Selection was nice too today.

SNL: The Best of Christopher Walker

Office Space (sealed)
Casshern

$2.50 for all.

Oh, and I forgot some "disc and manual" Playstation games of note:

Monster Rancher 2

Yu-gi-oh: Forbidden Memories
Sheep
Bushido Blade
Contra: Legacy of War
Mr. Driller (Dreamcast)

all for $5. These folks also had a disc + manual only Marvel vs. Capcom 2 which I offered $10 on, but no dice. People in the wild seem rather uneven about their game valuations sometimes...

Nice day today :D The only thing I really regret was the three sealed ps3 I had to pass on, the seller wanted $15 apiece--I instinctually offered $30 on all, but as a certain film says "There's some people you just can't reach." Current generation games are my weakness, so imagine my dismay coming home later and seeing that Blur and Singularity are still trading in at Gamestop for $22 apiece. Time to study the price charts some more...

@FOneWearl: And now I know the sorrow of passing on a $1 disc-only Digimon World.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']N64's are an easy sell as long as you bundle a couple of decent games. Speaking of which, my finds for the day.

013611bde6490ccdb60015d756b8bbb6.jpg

PS1 Games $10 for all
Final Fantasy VIII (BL, Sealed)
DiscWorld II Mortality Bytes (sealed - holy shit, this is worth way more than FF8!)
MechWarrior 2
Magic the Gathering Battlemage
Tomb Raider 2

[/QUOTE]
That is amazing. I wish I could find Discworld 1 or 2 (maybe not sealed though, I would go insane not wanting to open it despite wanting to play it).

[quote name='TiKi2']Do you guys know where I could buy some twist ties from a B&M store?[/QUOTE]

You can get twist ties for free from the produce aisle of your local supermarket.

Went to a few Friday. Nothing really of interest to post. Went to some today, but apparently competition's back. Every place we go sold their gaming stuff before we got there. Including one that said starting at 9AM saying no early birds, and we were there at 9AM with a crowd of 10 people already buying stuff.

(ps1)Reel Fishing II
(ps1)Nightmare Creatures II
:ps2:Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly
:ps2:Jak and Daxter: the Precursor Legacy
$1 each

:ps2:Kessen II - $1

:dvd:Naruto vol 4 (probably bootlegged, now that I look at it) - $1
:dvd: Beowulf - $1

:pc:Star Wars Battlefront II - $1
:pc:Universal Combat - $1
:pc:Ultimate Quake - $1

Call of Duty Modern Warfare Reflex Edition guide - $0.25

Brock Biology of Microorganisms 10th edition - $0.50

Audiobooks ($1 each):
The Almost Moon
The Brass Verdict
Cross
The Devil Wears Prada
Little Altars Everywhere
Marley and Me
Mary Mary
Olive Kitteridge
Something Borrowed
When Madeline was Young

Books ($0.25-$0.50 each)
Terry Brooks - The Scions of Shannara
Agatha Christie's Murder She Said
Franklin W. Dixon - The Hardy Boys 64
Cornelia Funke - Dragon Rider
Alexander Dumas - The Man in the Iron Mask
Alexander Dumas - The Three Musketeers
David Fisher - Legally Correct Fairy Tales
Friedrich Nietzsche - Beyond Good and Evil
J.D. Salinger - The Catcher in the Rye
R.A. Salvatore - The Icewind Dale Trilogy
J.R.R. Tolkien - Smith of Wootton Major & Farmer Giles of Ham
Mark Twain - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Mark Twain - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Laura Ingalls Wilder - Little House in the Big Woods

@elessar123: You should come to my town. Everything in the second half of my post had an experienced game dealer in the same flea market, asleep at the switch. Early birds don't even bother me that much--I can be pushing noon or sometimes one in the afternoon with plenty of games to find.

Bought one thing of interest today:

A really old cell phone, I paid 1$ at a church sale, its gotta be worth more than that, its in excellent condition with charger base, charger, battery and case.

After hundreds of sales...my first PS1 RPG score...

Xenogears complete
Dragon Warrior VII complete Damn! Disc one is cracked...pickles....
Breath of Fire IV complete
FFantasy IX complete
FFantasy VII complete
Wild Arms complete
GH The Legend of Dragoon complete but broken case
GH FFantasy VIII complete

started with $4 each bought all for $15
CIMG1567.jpg
CIMG1567.jpg

Was so excited didn't even think to ask for strat guides...:roll:

Another sale had a disc missing FFantasy VIII I passed on for $2 (should have offered them $.50 just to get the mint 4 disc case...)

also bought 2 old Fisher Price Little People (camper & village) sets that I will sort through and clean up tomorrow...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='donut']After hundreds of sales...my first PS1 RPG score...

Dragon Warrior VII complete
Breath of Fire IV complete
FFantasy IX complete
FFantasy VII complete
Wild Arms complete
GH The Legend of Dragoon complete but broken case
GH FFantasy VIII complete

started with $4 each bought all for $15

Was so excited didn't even think to ask for strat guides...:roll:

Another sale had a disc missing FFantasy VIII I passed on for $2 (should have offered them $.50 just to get the mint 4 disc case...)

also bought 2 old Fisher Price Little People (camper & village) sets that I will sort through and clean up tomorrow...[/QUOTE]

Woo-hoo for other people buying Fisher Price Little People :) Thar's gold in them there plastic figures.

Interested in parting with that BoF4 donut?

Also I had terrible luck with sales today. Went to 10 and they ahd all been looted of the video games, except for 2. One sale had an n64 no games for $35. I just turned back to my car when she said that, since she also said they sold all their games earlier.

Picked up FF tactics GH complete for $2, and a copy of Force Unleashed ultimate sith ed. in very nice condition from the same guy for $20 after asking him if he had any other games he was getting rid of(which is really weird, the sale was a bunch of random stuff, I found the FFT in a CD bin)

People in my city must get up incredibly early(to me) for sales. There was an advertised PSP w/ 24 games at a sale, I arrived 30 or so minutes before they post they would open and they said it was gone. Also, know what pisses me off? When they post "no early birds", yet I arrive 15 minutes before the sale "starts" and half the stuff is gone.

Friday sucked and then Sat. morning it rained . . .

On Friday, I asked about videogames and woman comes out with this SNES . . . they have 2 others systems and this the spare. I offered $3 . . . she said $5 . . . I noted the lack of the TV cable (sys, power, 1 controller) and she accepted $4.

That was it other than a few PC games. I guess I spotted a few other things but they were overpriced or of no value.

On Sat., I headed to a subdivision sale where I found a few valuable books (maybe $100 worth for $15). Out of 12 sales, I saw very little gaming stuff. One kid had a gamecube (sys only) "discounted" to $20 . . . he had a few games (Mario Kart most notable) with his prices indexed to Gamestop . . . so MKDD was $25. The prices were so high that I didn't bother to negotiate. I know this type . . . the kid's bright and hopeful.

Then I was off to a church sale that started at 8:30 . . . I was pushing it timewise (about 5 min. late) and was happy to see that there were no book buyers. I found a few books and this:

Turns out there was a Genny sys (in box) but it was in the Electronics section . . . I saw this guy walking around with it. The game is complete and was .50.

Then I drove a good ways to a sale that started at 8:00 that mentioned gaming hardware in the ad. There I found a bunch of flight sticks, an Xbox, and a Steel Battalion controller. SB controller looked great but there was no game in sight and it was marked $100. I saw one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-X45-Co..._9?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1284252871&sr=1-9

and it had a sticker with "75" on it . . . so I was a smart-ass and asked if it was "75 cents" and the woman said $75. Apparently they looked the stuff up on Amazon and ebay and "went half." Of course, $200 on Amazon gets you SB with the box and game. I asked if they would negotiate but she says, its her daughter's and her BF ran out on her and left the stuff (maybe he owes her $) and that she'd call her but the cell phone is in the house . . . I thought fuck-it and just left.

Now its raining and I've pretty much had it. On the way home, I stopped at a rained-out block sale (4 houses). People are crammed into their garages. At the second sale, I'm about to leave and I ask about games and the guy produces this 2600:

As I look it over, I offer $5 . . . the guy is clearly going to counter but his wife (from 15 ft away) says OK.

After you guys convinced me that 2600s are worthwhile, I found that the systems I got a week ago work and the games I tested booted right up. The one from this week includes the instructions, 4 controllers, a bunch of common games and 2 power adapters . . . this would be great if they both work because I only had one with the 2 systems last week. Plus, this one is a sixer . . . 6 switches.

The last sale . . . even though its only 9:30 . . . I'm just done. I pick up a couple books and I see a box full of worthless PS2 games . . . about 15 sports titles (what the hell is wrong with people). But then I'm digging around the crammed in stuff and pull out this box:

Sys, hookups, memory card and controller. When I ask how much, the woman says $5 . . . I didn't even bother to haggle. She said it works but maybe not the controller. I did pull this out of the box of games:

My son was big into Monopoly a year ago . . . I figured it was worth a buck. I probably could've gotten it with the sys if I had been thinking faster :)

An hour later I ran out on an errand and stopped at Salvation Army. My favorite employee was sorting books in back (they get a big bin sometimes) and she let me scan through them. If the manager is around, this is a no-go--but she's not in. Looking through hundreds of books, I turned up about 40 nice ones (a few that are good textbooks) and they are only .20 each. This made up for the rain!

[quote name='Potatoeman']Interested in parting with that BoF4 donut?

People in my city must get up incredibly early(to me) for sales. There was an advertised PSP w/ 24 games at a sale, I arrived 30 or so minutes before they post they would open and they said it was gone. Also, know what pisses me off? When they post "no early birds", yet I arrive 15 minutes before the sale "starts" and half the stuff is gone.[/QUOTE]

I'll let you know about BOF4 might trade for it...
and on the PSP I have taken a chance and written the seller about an item I want in their list and one along one that is BIG and I think they want it gone (I want to downplay the item I really want in hopes the price will be reasonable).
I ask them in the e-mail how much for the two items (let's say the PSP bundle and a couch...) and if I might stop by that evening ... I've had 50/50 luck in them writing back with reasonable asking prices and permission to stop by that evening as they are still sorting ...
I also include my phone number.

If I really wanted the PSP, I might have tried this "tactic".

[quote name='donut']After hundreds of sales...my first PS1 RPG score...
[/QUOTE]

I didn't see the pic earlier and Xenogears wasn't on the list . . . holy s***

I always feel that you pay your dues and you'll find some stuff and sooner or later you'll hit the jackpot. Now, how long before your next big score?

bread's done
Back