Official 2010 Yard Sale Thread

Quick post right now. I've got a great story to tell later.

Want to pick your brains. At one sale this kid (13) has tons and tons of Star Wars Legos. Most just pieces broken down into big bags. He did have a few complete on a table for $20 each (like an X-Wing with Luke and R2D2). I spotted these minifigs on a table and paid $5 for everything.

Do I have anything of value?
Mostly, I just got them for my kids to play with. They love the minifigs and I hate to pay much for them.

[quote name='slowdive21'][I got by pulling a dick move[/QUOTE]

Slowdive . . . I have you beat on being a dick at a rummage sale.

Today, I'm in this garage looking at CDs and I notice that just behind me (I just walked past) a box with an SNES system and games. The only problem is this woman has her hands in the box. The box was poorly displayed. I see Donkey Kong Country games . . .

Anyway, I try one of my Jedi mind moves . . . (mind control ala Dinner for Schmucks). I'll ignore her and the box and she'll move on. No dice . . . a minute has gone by and I hear the guy running the sale say "It's $60 for the whole thing." This woman doesn't say a word but she's been looking at the GB game boxes and I've gotten a better look in the box.

So, I jump in and say "would you take $30 for it?" The guy replies . . . "no, blah, blah, blah . . . " Here the woman quitely says "but I'm looking at this." So, I countered with $40 and he says that he can do $45 . . . I say sure if he'll throw in the 2 CDs that I'm holding.

At no time did the woman say anything but as I'm whipping out my cash she mumbles "I would have paid $50." She leaves very pissed off.

After I got home, I discovered that some games are missing and some boxes have different games . . . karma biting my ass?!?

Mario RPG and DKC3 are complete, DKC2 is box and cart, but EWJ2 is box only (crap). Mario Kart is box and instructions (nice if I come across a cart), Pokemon Red and Blue are box only, and SMB deluxe is also MIA . . . but there are 3 bonus carts:

Mario World and All Stars each have instructions. There also instructions for Yoshi's Island . . . would be nice to have that cart. Also more GBA boxes folded.

Of course Animaniacs and Battleship are mint and complete (groan).

The system is also complete. If it weren't for the woman, I would have gone through the stuff and tried to chip away at the price (as well as have them search their house for more games). As it was, I bought it based on looking into the box. I may try to swing by tomorrow and inquire . . . but that never seems to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ex_eBay_buyer']Haven't gone garage saling in weeks - once you get used to sleeping in until 12, it's hard to just wake up at 7. And my area (can't drive yet so have to go within biking distance) has really sucky sales.
But tomorrow my dad's driving me to nearby area garage sales, wish me luck! A few advertise games so that's a good sign.[/QUOTE]That's why I don't go most weeks. fuck waking up at 6 AM on a weekend after going to bed at 3 that night. Energy drinks help though.

[quote name='TiKi2']Yeh , I think I posted in this thread about mini lego figures especially star wars. They are gold. You hit jack pot[/QUOTE]

Should I just ebay the whole lot during the holidays???

[quote name='schultzed']Should I just ebay the whole lot during the holidays???[/QUOTE] Depends, the economy is about to take a nose dive unless stimulus is announced . Question is would the consumer be willing to pay X amount of dollars on a star wars lego lot this holiday? If you are in no hurry to sell , I'd just hold it till holidays.

Prehistorik Man (GB) - $1
Twisted Metal 4 (PS1, No Manual) - .50

Pokemon Fire Red Version With Wireless Adaptor (GBA, No Manual)
Yellow Game Boy Camera

$4

First two small finds IAP, Game Boy stuff was marked 5 & 1 I offered 3 and took the counter of 4.

2x NES Systems - One In A Styrofoam-less Box With Hookups, Zapper & 2x 1st Party Contrllers, 2nd One With What You Can See In The Picture Including A Bad RF Adaptor And A Controller With A Bad Wire.

Atari 2600 That's Been Taken Apart And Has Seen Better Days With Some Extras.

10 NES Games & 22 2600 Games (The 7 NES Games That Are Hard To Read Seeing Only The Tops of Them - Anticipation, Dr Mario, Golf, Side Pocket, Solar Jetman, Super Mario Bros 3 & Nintendo World Cup)

$8

This was one of my first stops today and when I asked about older games they had this stuff out for sale that I missed since they had some more stuff for sale behind the carport where the sale was set up that was easily overlooked. Looked it over no price when I said I was interested I was asked $5 for the NES with games and all of the Atari stuff. Went to put it in my car and came back for what I thought was an empty NES box but it had another system which I ended up paying 3 more dollars for.

Non Find BS -
Was out from just after 8:30 till about just after 12 so I was probably out for close to 4 hours total and got to about 25 sales today.

I actually went to one sale in my town at 8 sharp as last year I was told about a Nintendo that they had that they could dig up next sale but I didn't see anything and actually went home to eat afterwards before going back out for the day and actually was pretty slow as while my first sale started at 7 (which I got my big finds at) the next two started at 9.

Prehistorik Man was actually from the same lady I've ran into a few times that I got some NES, N64 & GB games from a few weeks back. Some of the same stuff from last time with nothing new in the mix but I grabbed Prehistorik Man since I was thinking I should have last time. This would be the 4th house I've ran into her selling at this year lol

Wasen't told about anything I missed today when asking about video games and while not way off the page the most expensive things I passed on were the sale I got the GB stuff at, Yoshi Touch & Go $20 and said it was a rare game and a nicer estate type sale with professionals running it had a PS1 with 7 games (nothing special a few wrestling games in the mix) marked 25 but when I asked about any older games the lady did say she would come down on price at least if I was intersted in it.

So this isn't a game-related steal - I hardly ever find older systems for sale in the Minneapolis area.

However, today, I went to one sale with my daughter. She was excited about all the princess and pink stuff sitting on one table. I, on the other hand, noticed a box of old-school Fischer Price Little People, the Little People Castle, and Little People House for a grand total of $9.

Knowing my mom frequently makes big money with these on Ebay (I guess they're quite collectable), I bought the lot and headed home. After sorting through the lot, I had several animals/vehicles I'd never seen before. As it turned out, they were part of an ultra-rare National Park set that was listing for $100+ on Ebay just on their own.

Overall, I have three different Ebay lots up and running now and I'm thinking I'll pull in between $150-200 for the whole package. Not a bad profit margin . . .

Now if I could just nab an SNES.

I just got back from an early morning garage sale.
4868729282_a31cb0d4bf.jpg

The games were one for $10, two for $15. They took $20 for these three, which were the best of the dozen or so there, which included Earth Defense Force 2013 (wow, someone else who actually played it), and Call of Duty 4... for the PC. A bunch of DVDs, too, but nothing spectacular.

Of all the sales I've been to, the oldest console I've found was a Playstation. I wish I could find some older gems, or at least some Lego minifigs or Little People. :p

I had a good week.

Pokemon Coliseum GCN (complete)
Super Mario Strikers GCN (complete)
Baten Kaitos 1 GCN (complete)
Sly 3 PS2 (complete)
Kingdom Hearts PS2 (complete)
Grandia 3 PS2 (complete)
Kingdom Hearts CoM GBA (box only)
Dragon Ballz Buu's Fury GBA (box only)
$15 total
I got there at about 8, and they said they won't open until 8:30. I asked about games and they said that they'll have some. When I went back, they brought these out and more. The guy said $2 each (boxes free), and then said $20 when I brought those up (I guess he's bad at math). He said he would do $15, I tried to get them for $10 and then $12 but he wouldn't budge.

Resident Evil Director's Cut PS1 (no manual)
$1
They had a PS1, the cables, 2 controllers and a few sports games, and they wanted $15 for it all. I offered $1 for this. I think this is my best find today, because I wanted to try this.

Warcraft 2 Battle.net Edition PC/Mac (complete)
Return to OZ VHS
$1 total

[quote name='NickNorman']I just got back from an early morning garage sale.
4868729282_a31cb0d4bf.jpg

The games were one for $10, two for $15. They took $20 for these three, which were the best of the dozen or so there, which included Earth Defense Force 2013 (wow, someone else who actually played it), and Call of Duty 4... for the PC. A bunch of DVDs, too, but nothing spectacular.

Of all the sales I've been to, the oldest console I've found was a Playstation. I wish I could find some older gems, or at least some Lego minifigs or Little People. :p[/QUOTE]

I was at that same garage sale. I picked up Fallout 3 PC and a couple DVDs for $18. There's one in Livonia on Farmington Rd south of Plymouth that has some older stuff. A boxed Odyssey for $20 that I would have picked up if I had the room.

I've finally started having some success with sales lately. Here's my finds in the last week.

This guy was selling stuff at or above fair market value for most of the things, but I couldn't pass on this stuff. It would have been nice to get these practically free like so many CAGs have done before, but I still feel I got a decent deal. For $45, I got:

Legend of Zelda complete
Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask, box beat to hell, but complete
Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages
Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons complete
Pokemon Stadium 2 no manual

This is actually from a few different sales.

Halo x2
Call of Duty 4
Super Mario Advance
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (needed it to fill out my collection)
3 sets of Y-splitters
1 crossover composite cable (not pictured)
5-port Ethernet hub

Grand total: $15

Today's find was pretty damn good, if I may say so.

All are complete, but the xbox games are slightly scratched or dirty.
Halo 2 x2
Knights of the Old Republic (too bad it had to be PH)
Punch Out!!
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Grand total: $10

So yeah, nothing spectacular, but then again, I hit maybe 10 sales in a given week.

[quote name='willynateDgreat']So this isn't a game-related steal - I hardly ever find older systems for sale in the Minneapolis area.

However, today, I went to one sale with my daughter. She was excited about all the princess and pink stuff sitting on one table. I, on the other hand, noticed a box of old-school Fischer Price Little People, the Little People Castle, and Little People House for a grand total of $9.

Knowing my mom frequently makes big money with these on Ebay (I guess they're quite collectable), I bought the lot and headed home. After sorting through the lot, I had several animals/vehicles I'd never seen before. As it turned out, they were part of an ultra-rare National Park set that was listing for $100+ on Ebay just on their own.

Overall, I have three different Ebay lots up and running now and I'm thinking I'll pull in between $150-200 for the whole package. Not a bad profit margin . . .

Now if I could just nab an SNES.[/QUOTE] Trade it. Sell the lot and with the $$ buy a snes lot.

Here we go.

0ec7565c1cbe28b921103cfb188152e4.jpg

SNES lot - $5
System, AV cable, RF adapter, Power cord, 1 controller, 2 games (Super Star Wars and Aerobiz).
Also has the SNES instruction manual and a poster. Not bad.

ba80046cd7eada637c935f649e22f7d4.JPG

PS1 games, IAP $1 each, got all for $5. All complete unless noted.
Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories , Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil Survivor
Grudge Warriors (no manual), Blasto (no manual), Spider-Man
Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider The Last Revelation, Newman Haas Racing

36c73f57b14783c783090b0953053158.JPG

Paid $25 for this. There were a lot of games (Saturn, one Sega CD, Genesis, SNES, N64, PS1) including many doubles so I'm guessing the guy was an ebay seller or something. Completely unwilling to bargain and acted like I was wasting his time. He had tons of common to uncommon games I would've gladly bought at $2 or even $3 each, but I think I got the best of what was in there. Pokemon games are ebay fodder as I need a little extra money this time of year. Gun Griffon just looked cool and I've never seen Saturn games at a yard sale before, and of course FF7 needs no explanation.

Gun Griffon (Saturn, complete)
Final Fantasy VII (complete)
GB games: Pokemon Yellow x2, Blue, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Zelda Links Awakening DX, Monster Rancher Battle Card GB

e4e732d6b02f1bd875db15a776492012.jpg

Finally, some DVD's.
Star Wars: Clone Wars vol 1 - $1
Dragon's Lair 20th Anniversary Special Edition (Dragon's Lair 1 & 2 plus Space Ace) - $10

The Dragon's Lair dvd seemed like it'd have some value but not really, maybe worth $20 at best. Not a bad buy though.

Also got a shit ton of bubble mailers for $.75. Nice!

I've got no luck at all this year. Went to probably 60+ village sales and I only found decent stuff at one. In the end I decided to spend $5 on these Genesis Games all CIB. Not really worth a picture

Sword of Vermillion
Mortal Kombat 2
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Sonic 3
Mortal Kombat 3
Joe Montana Sport Talk Football 2
Sonic Spinball

Pretty crappy day. Not a good year at all for me. Everything is just washed up around here.

Went by a sale on a whim and found this:

8yb347.jpg
for $3 - complete with manual and FFVIII demo disc

and

hx6lbr.jpg
for $1 - complete as well (but not worth much)

The black-label Parasite Eve seems to be going for around $30 complete though.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']

36c73f57b14783c783090b0953053158.JPG

Paid $25 for this. There were a lot of games (Saturn, one Sega CD, Genesis, SNES, N64, PS1) including many doubles so I'm guessing the guy was an ebay seller or something. Completely unwilling to bargain and acted like I was wasting his time. He had tons of common to uncommon games I would've gladly bought at $2 or even $3 each, but I think I got the best of what was in there. Pokemon games are ebay fodder as I need a little extra money this time of year. Gun Griffon just looked cool and I've never seen Saturn games at a yard sale before, and of course FF7 needs no explanation.
[/QUOTE]

If he was an ebay seller, I really couldn't imagine him letting those go at that price. Each Pokemon game is an easy sale at $13 on eBay and FF7 can fetch $50 shipped with ease. I would not put my money on that guy being an eBay seller, maybe a local sale-sale flipper but not an eBay seller.

Two small game related items

5yb977.jpg
- $3 complete with FFVIII demo disc and manual

and
346u9tj.jpg
$1 complete as well.

I know Blitz isn't worth much, but a black-label Parasite Eve is going for around $30 on Ebay complete.

[quote name='dodgeme']I've got no luck at all this year. Went to probably 60+ village sales and I only found decent stuff at one. In the end I decided to spend $5 on these Genesis Games all CIB. Not really worth a picture

Sword of Vermillion
Mortal Kombat 2
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Sonic 3
Mortal Kombat 3
Joe Montana Sport Talk Football 2
Sonic Spinball

Pretty crappy day. Not a good year at all for me. Everything is just washed up around here.[/QUOTE] I'd say that was a pretty good find. Last I saw genesis games guy wanted $5 each for shit titles.

[quote name='TiKi2']I'd say that was a pretty good find. Last I saw genesis games guy wanted $5 each for shit titles.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't horrible. But compared to previous years this year was shitty. I was going to buy another genesis with a bunch of games but didn't want it at that point. I went back and it was gone but I really didn't need a 5th genesis of my own. If your looking for Sega Genesis stuff in general Western New York is a goldmine.

Here was my crap for the day.

Pokemon cards with pokemon gold $1 wanted $1 each
Resident evil 3 complete $2 wanted $3
Vic Firth Practice Pad w/sticks $3 wanted $5

Had 3 finds today:

Original Game boy with Super Mario Land $1.75 IAP was $2. Had a single and 3 quarters; didn't want to bust a $10 bill. haha

Sack of 11 N64 Games $7 (IAP was $10): The notables were Diddy Kong Racing, Pokemon Stadium, Yoshi's Story and Snowboard Kids 2 (didn't know anything about this one and saw it was worth $20 :D)

Complete in box with manuals Atari 2600 along with 8 common games (4 had manuals). I saw this at a moving sale. It is the original model. Wasn't very familiar with the value on this, but when I saw the Power Adapter and paddle controllers were each in their pristine original boxes, I figured I'd pick it up. IAP was $35; I paid $25. I'd like to know a little more about this. I'm not sure I'm looking to sell it, but I saw on ebay that a few consoles in their boxes sold for more than $100, while some were around $25. Couldn't really tell the difference between the two. They had the same box.

Thanks and good luck to all!

[quote name='willynateDgreat']I know Blitz isn't worth much, but a black-label Parasite Eve is going for around $30 on Ebay complete.[/QUOTE]

Not really, look at the completed listings. Two of the most recent went for ~$10. I picked up a copy on eBay a few months back for $11 shipped.

I can't believe people have the balls to sell burnt movies,music and games at garage sales. I see this every weekend. Just a quick note cause I saw quite a few today.

[quote name='Doomstink']If he was an ebay seller, I really couldn't imagine him letting those go at that price. Each Pokemon game is an easy sale at $13 on eBay and FF7 can fetch $50 shipped with ease. I would not put my money on that guy being an eBay seller, maybe a local sale-sale flipper but not an eBay seller.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, local seller would make more sense.

As for the game boy games, they were a ripoff anyway. I cleaned the filth off of them (inside and out) but the labels are pretty messed up, and they rarely get past the Nintendo screen unless I blow on them. :roll: I've never had any trouble with game boy games before so god knows what this guy did to them. And on top of that, a few of them need new batteries.

Any reason why seemingly perfectly clean GB games would consistently freeze up?

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Yeah, local seller would make more sense.

As for the game boy games, they were a ripoff anyway. I cleaned the filth off of them (inside and out) but the labels are pretty messed up, and they rarely get past the Nintendo screen unless I blow on them. :roll: I've never had any trouble with game boy games before so god knows what this guy did to them. And on top of that, a few of them need new batteries.

Any reason why seemingly perfectly clean GB games would consistently freeze up?[/QUOTE]

No idea. I've got a bag full of about 20 broken Pokemon games that don't make it past the Nintendo logo and they all look incredibly clean. I think they might be water damaged, but I'd assume that would have left some visual evidence. Also, if they have any evidence of being previous Gamestop or EBgames used games, both companies used to sand down the contacts to refurb the games. This usually resulted in the contacts being too short to connect properly with the Gameboy. You might have to prop the chip up somehow in the cartridge to make sure the contacts touch properly.

[quote name='blindinglights']Not really, look at the completed listings. Two of the most recent went for ~$10. I picked up a copy on eBay a few months back for $11 shipped.[/QUOTE]

They do if they have the FFVIII demo disc. Majority of the games listed do not have the demo disc.

It's been a few weeks since I've posted, and I've been finding a lot of good deals (to me anyway) lately.

All these guides for = $3.50

Darksiders Guide
Smackdown vs Raw 2010 Guide
Lego Indiana Jones 2 Guide
Halo 3: ODST Guide
Kingdom Hearts: 358 / 2 Days Guide
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks Guide
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Guide
Assassins Creed II Guide

The guy told me all the guides were .50 a piece I picked out 7 and he told me I could have another for free, not a bad deal since H3: ODST, LOZ:ST, & ACII are all sealed. I went back the following day since they were closing and purchased the rest of his guides to sell and give to friends.

G.I. Joe Atomic Man Secret Mountain Outpost = $0.50
Game Gear w/ Sonic The Hedgehog, Mortal Kombat, & Out Run Europa, Plug, & Bag = $8.00
Plush Pikachu = $0.50
Stay Puff Marshmallow Man = $1.00
RoboCop (NES), Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire (N64), Diddy Kong Racing (N64), StarFox 64 (N64) = $18.00
Blades of Steel (GB) = $1.00
Two Black Gamecube Controllers = $8.00

Stopped by a garage sale that I saw on craigslist, it was a nice old lady who had a lot of old toys. I picked up the GI Joe playset (box is beat up, but it is complete) and she told me oh that's $0.50, I couldn't believe it. She also had a Mego Mr. Mxyzptlk, but before I could get it some guy snatched it up. She had $0.10 on it so I offered the guy $5 told me $30 so he must have known what it was worth. The Game Gear doesn't work, so I've got to take it a part and see if I can get it to, but the games work so that's good. Picked up the Stay Puff for a $1 at a flea market, he was very dirty. I've got him nice and clean now and he looks awesome on my desk.

SNES w/ 8 Games, 2 Controllers, wires, & black storage case = $20

Street Fighter II w/ manual
Tom & Jerry w/ manual
Top Gear w/ manual
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest w/ manual
Clue w/ manual
Killer Instinct w/ manual & SEALED Killer Cuts CD
NBA Hang Time w/ Manual
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition w/ manual

19 NES Games = $7.50 (wanted $9.50)

Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt (4 copies)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (2 copies)
Punch Out
Super Mario Bros. 2
Ice Hockey
Double Dribble
Track & Field
R.C. Pro Am
Wheel of Fortune: Junior Edition
Mickey Mousecapade
Contra (2 copies)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2 copies)
Gauntlet

Offered $15 for the SNES, but they said no. I couldn't believe it when I got home and found a sealed copy of the Killer Cuts CD under the SNES. Went to another sale and they had $0.50 a piece on the NES games, so I offered $7.50 and they said yes. It was worth it for Contra alone.

SNES w/ 4 games, 2 controllers, Mouse, pad, wires, & 8 NES games = $25 (wanted $38)

Vegas Stakes (SNES)
Street Fighter II (SNES)
NCAA Basketball (SNES)
NBA Jam (SNES)
Hogan's Alley
Duck Hunt w/ manual
Kung Fu
Skate or Die 2
Super Mario Bros.
Karate Champ
Bases Loaded
Zelda II: The Adventures of Link

N64 w/ 3 Controllers (1 official), & power cord = $10 (wanted $15)
Donkey Kong & Mario RC Carts = $2
Lego Imperial AT-ST (missing 1 little piece) = $3
Metal Gear Solid: Greatest Hits (complete, near mint) = $1
Madden 95 w/ manual, NCAA Football w/ manual, & NCAA Basketball = $1.50
Hot Wheels Batmobile, House of the Dead 2, & Shinobi cars = $1.50
Batman & The Joker = $2

Offered $25 for the SNES, SNES Games & the NES games they accepted and even threw in the mouse and mousepad, because someone bought mario paint and didn't want them. The mario RC cart doesn't work, but it'll be cool sitting with all my other gaming stuff. I also got a batgirl figure with the batman & joker for $0.25, I love batman stuff.

Complete Legend of Zelda Board Game = $2

This is my find of the week, I picked it up Thursday morning. It's complete and has hardly any ware, I've been wanting this for a long time.

[quote name='jidaigeki']I was at that same garage sale. I picked up Fallout 3 PC and a couple DVDs for $18. There's one in Livonia on Farmington Rd south of Plymouth that has some older stuff. A boxed Odyssey for $20 that I would have picked up if I had the room.[/QUOTE]
If I'd have seen an Odyssey for $20, I probably would have bought it. I went to a few sales later, and probably hit the one with the Odyssey, but must have been too late. Not much for the later sales, but I did find a NES Zapper for $3 at a Salvation Army I stopped at on the way home.

This week was another good week, I got a nice genesis lot which included the system, 2 controllers and 12 games with boxes at least one of which is Phantasy Star III. Phantasy Star III is missing the manual but has the box. I paid $5 for the lot. The system is missing the power adapter. I don't really need another genesis but this price was too good to pass up.

[quote name='Doomstink']No idea. I've got a bag full of about 20 broken Pokemon games that don't make it past the Nintendo logo and they all look incredibly clean. I think they might be water damaged, but I'd assume that would have left some visual evidence. Also, if they have any evidence of being previous Gamestop or EBgames used games, both companies used to sand down the contacts to refurb the games. This usually resulted in the contacts being too short to connect properly with the Gameboy. You might have to prop the chip up somehow in the cartridge to make sure the contacts touch properly.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, maybe you could put a piece of tape or a couple pieces under the contacts, that might make them lift up enough to touch the contacts on the gameboy.

It could be the batteries inside too, they might need to be changed, you can change them if you know how to solder and have a soldering iron. Weird stuff can happen with a game that has a bad battery. Worse comes to worse, sell the lot of pokemon games on ebay as broken. I don't know how to change the batteries in a cartridge but I have a friend who does, if you don't know how you might have a friend who does as well just ask around.

The only other thing I can think of is that the games were submerged in water at some point. I don't understand the justification behind sanding, I just use a pencil eraser and it pretty much does the same thing and doesn't ruin the game.

[quote name='blindinglights']Not really, look at the completed listings. Two of the most recent went for ~$10. I picked up a copy on eBay a few months back for $11 shipped.[/QUOTE]

Sweet - here's hoping :)

[quote name='Hyper Bolt']^When are you going to post about that amazing haul of 50 games you got a few days ago.[/QUOTE] Same thing I was thinking.

Went around to about 10 different sales, two of which were high school band sales. Only one I actually went to had video games at all, and they were very limited - The ones that stood out were digimon world 4 for GC, suikoden 4 and product number 3, none of which I was very interested in.. would have picked up DMW4 but manual was missing and had a tear on the plastic.

Went to a flea market as well which was about 20 miles from where I live, and my car stalled out as I got there. At the market there was only one "gaming" booth, which had some decent titles, and weren't ridiculously riced, but weren't worth jumping on either. Nothing.

Got my car working and headed home in sadness. BUT I stopped at 2 gamestops on the way and picked up a metroid prime trilogy and ME2 collectors guide for free. So it wasnt all terrible.

Edit: Ah yeah, thought I would add that I saw a Xbox 360 Elite 120gb HD, with Halo 1,2,3 and odst for $100 at a sale. The mom was selling it as her son went away to college - I felt bad and didnt buy it, but someone else jumped on it as soon as I left.

My haul from today

100_0189.jpg

100_0190.jpg

100_0191.jpg

100_0192.jpg

Grand Total: $29

Follow Up: Dreamcast Sytem Worked as soon as I hooked her up...Woooott

Last edited by a moderator:
Horrible week. Went to TWO community sales (amongst others) and came back with 0 game related items, stopping at literally 50+ places.

Spent $18 total today...

$5 on Ugly Betty Season 1
$5 on a Juggernaut, 2 Beast Wars and a Ninja Turtles transformers
$5 on a set of Star Trek figures in box
$1 on second Inkheart book
$1 on a scrap book
$1 on a slinky

After 3 hours, we went to look at apartments and signed a lease =P

Edit: Beast Wars figures are Cheetor (a brownish one, instead of yellow, with tail), and Depth Charge. Can't find anything on the Juggernaut though. The Turtles one is Raphael I think. The band loooooooks red =P

OK. Not gonna post pics cause I can't find the camera, but here we go.

This one I had trouble finding the sale. It was a nice lady who was just getting rid of junk from her apartment. I had emailed her about games and she told me about the SNES and NES. When I got there she was still setting up and said she had a Genesis inside, that if I came back she'd just give it to me for free. But I didn't have time to come back :(

Super Nintendo console + 1 controller, cords
Original Nintendo console + 1 controller, cords, zapper gun
SNES Madden game (the only game she had)

$6

This one they advertised like crazy for the games. I wasn't sure if it was going to be a reseller or not. None of these games are worth much, but it's still worth it. They're pretty beat up too. It was just a moving sale. The annoying part is it started at 10... pretty late if you ask me. I got there at 9:45 and just waited for them to set up. All the games were $3 each, but he gave me the Kingdom Hearts case for free (no game :() And the Sega case with all the Gamegear / GBA game in it he told me $5. Offered $15 for everything which was accepted.

Case only for Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (PS2)
Medal of Honor Rising Sun (Xbox)
Battle of the Bands (Wii)
Star Wars the Video Game (Xbox)
The Mark of Kri (PS2)
Yu-Gi-Oh The Duelists of the Roses (PS2)
Blue Game Gear (haven't tested yet)
a few really crappy sport games for Gamegear
1 Japanese Gamegear game
Sega carrying case for the Gamegear
Prince of Persia Sands of Time (GBA)

$15

This one I was pleasantly surprised at finding. We barely pulled over because we just turned and all the sudden saw a sale we weren't planning to go to and pulled over immediately. It was mostly lots of office supplies (guy was probably a reseller) but I asked about games just in case. Was told they had sold a Game Boy but had an SNES in a bag and was pointed to it (would have missed it otherwise). Marked $5, offered $3 and was accepted.

Super Nintendo console (completely unyellowed!)
2 controllers - one is 3rd party but looks pretty cool
like 4 crappy sport titles
Super Mario All-Stars

$3

This was the first sale I went to. Advertised video games. Not many titles, just picked out a few. IAP $3 each, offered $3 for both which was countered with $4 and I accepted.

Mortal Kombat (PS2) (I think - left this one in the car)
Doom 3 (Xbox)

$4

Was out from about 7:15 until around 12. We had to leave the sales at 11:30 to get home, and it took us 20 min to get to the first sale, so I guess total we garage saled for about 4 hours. Had maybe 4 sales tell me they had some sort of video games/console that they forgot to dig up for the sale. That's just annoying...I would have waited if they wanted to go find it :/ I only went to about 15 sales but I made sure to go to the good ones, even though they were far away. I'd rather go to 15 good ones than 50 bad ones after all. Pretty successful weekend for me I'd say.

Not much of a story today (being a lazy local sales picker). Finally scored a complete n64 at a reasonable price, $20. It looks clean and one of the two controllers could be a pricey grape critter.

Hopefully all the other semi-okay finds I made today will get me this system for free...

1) Gameboy Color Kiwi Console w/ 3 kiddy games - $4 (the handheld is not my favorite item since it's missing a battery cover and the speaker seems blown out, however it does work with headphones.)

2) Box with nes and atari goodies - $10

The desperate scrawl on the box said $20 but her eyes told me $10. The nes is in rough shape (cracked front plate) and may be auditioning for a job as a football soon--But, considering I got a light zapper, a nes power pad, an atari track ball controller and an atari 2600 console with 17 games, I think I'm safe.

3) Wild Arms 3 and Final Fantasy X (Black Label) - $7

Both are complete and work, but are probably gamestop bound due an odd starburst texture on each of the discs.
If this seems like a dumb move to you, know that it allowed me to obtain donkey kong 64 and the legend of zelda: ocarina of time for $8.

Another win was the pair of Starcraft 1 strategy guides I obtained for under $1 each; they had $5 stickers on each but I was able to crush the seller's spirit by mentioning that the entire battle-chest was available new on Amazon for $10. I'm still debating whether I should order that and flip the guides + Starcraft discs I got for free for $5. Or I could stay downgraded and not spend anything :drool:

Totally non gaming related but my Village wide sales may not have ended as a total flop. I may be coming out of them with a 98 Olds Cutlass for $1000. I need a car soo.

I am going to post about the 50 games soon its just that I have a lot of things to do and I am trying to clean all the games in the meantime as well. August is busy for me.

[quote name='Doomstink']They do if they have the FFVIII demo disc. Majority of the games listed do not have the demo disc.[/QUOTE]

Again, not really.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parasite-Eve-Complete-Practicly-New-/230508530281?pt=Video_Games_Games

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parasite-Eve-PlayStation-1998-/130416917899?pt=Video_Games_Games

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parasite-Eve-Ps1-PSX-Playstation-Complete-/140433548241?pt=Video_Games_Games

Some of the auctions are going for more, up towards $20s, but not consistently.

The copy I mentioned getting was complete, black label, with demo disc.

The sequel tends to fetch a little bit higher.

[quote name='blindinglights']Again, not really.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parasite-Eve-Complete-Practicly-New-/230508530281?pt=Video_Games_Games

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parasite-Eve-PlayStation-1998-/130416917899?pt=Video_Games_Games

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parasite-Eve-Ps1-PSX-Playstation-Complete-/140433548241?pt=Video_Games_Games

Some of the auctions are going for more, up towards $20s, but not consistently.

The copy I mentioned getting was complete, black label, with demo disc.

The sequel tends to fetch a little bit higher.[/QUOTE]

This is why I don't fuck around with ebay. A nice copy of this game could just be parked on Amazon for $20-25. You MIGHT do better on ebay but you also might end up disappointed.

[quote name='willynateDgreat']So this isn't a game-related steal - I hardly ever find older systems for sale in the Minneapolis area.

Now if I could just nab an SNES.[/QUOTE]

Here is a good example of the discussion we started back in June. There is money to be made at rummage sales even if you end up disappointed by not finding games.

Of course, Willynate has aquired a pretty rare find (good job!). Good Fisher Price sets are rare to begin with but also hotly sought by buyers. Sounds like the seller had their head way up their a**. Was it really poorly displayed? I'm guessing that if these had been put out to best advantage they would have fetched much more money (for the seller) and would have sold early in the sale. One is likely to find 10 SNES systems before they make another FP toy find like this.

There are a few lessons here for all of us:

FP toys are good buys but the key is the extra pieces. That castle itself would hardly be worth dealing with (looking at past auctions) . . . I mean, if one paid $10 for a castle alone, it would be hard to make much money. On the other hand, the dragon alone would be a great buy and then add in the king and queen!!! Personally, I'd probably hold the set until late Nov . . . but who knows.

The second important lesson is that it pays to comb through carefully at sales. If you "shop" from your car (driving by) you are likely to miss good stuff. The weirdo box at the edge of the sale is most likely to hold junk but could have a treasure. Because of poor display, others who would buy the item miss it and the poor placement show that the seller doesn't realize what they have. You never know, you might find a TI-84 just sitting in a box of random cords and walk away with it for a few bucks.

[quote name='schultzed']This is why I don't fuck around with ebay. A nice copy of this game could just be parked on Amazon for $20-25. You MIGHT do better on ebay but you also might end up disappointed.[/QUOTE]

Amen. In my sales history here (CAG) I think I got something like $18-21 for a mint Parasite Eve (GH) and traded a Like New Black Label for a game priced in the mid-twenties. With patience you can make the sale, but then again you got to avoid the people who see the game go for as low as $14 shipped and want it cheaper :)

Ms pacman plug n play $1
Win XP p4 tower $3

Also saw a comic book lot JLA/JSA Must of been around 120 comics. They wanted $60 but no bags or boards on any of them just tossed in a bin, not even a long box. Passed on it. Maybe if I see it again I might pick it up.

Thats it for today we got a rainout.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']With patience you can make the sale, but then again you got to avoid the people who see the game go for as low as $14 shipped and want it cheaper :)[/QUOTE]

With Amazon you have to understand that the prices are like a tide . . . during a slow period a title like Parasite Eve will drop down . . . but at the right time of year it will rise. I am patient, so if I had a minty complete copy . . . I'd either wait to list it (to see where the market goes) or put it in at $29.99 and see if the right buyer comes along.

But, I'm pretty patient. I bought this baby for $7 and listed it for $80 on Amazon in Dec. 2007:

It just sold this week. I have no idea what would have happened with it on ebay . . . If the right buyers were actively looking for it, it might have brought in more a long time ago or it could've bombed. On the other hand, it's just been sitting on the shelf waiting for a buyer and that doesn't bother me.

I don't know why I pegged it at $79.99 . . . I'm guessing there were others listed. They may have dropped their prices and sold there's in the past few years for much less. If I had it over $100, I may have missed this current buyer and never sell it.

I set a price and eventually got my price.

Pretty slow week for me, stopped at 3 or 4 sales and found nothing. Then I pulled over to a small sale and found several gems at one table.

100_4590.jpg

Assortment of strange games for various systems, asked about more but they said this was just found laying around and they had no idea where anything else was. Everything was priced fair 1 or 2 bucks, so no need to haggle, they were very nice people, so I wasn't going for the bludgeoning.

On my way out I noticed a stack of Sega CD Games sitting there and I decided to take a peek. All the games were mint but every single one of them had no manual. WTF. Eck, I picked up one game and they said 3 bucks, I walked away and they shouted 2, I walked back over and picked up one game handed them the cash. The one game I grabbed...
100_4584.jpg

Today I headed out a little late so I found a few games. Got Buffy and a Wavebird for gamecube for 5 bucks and the two 360 games for 10 total.

100_4591.jpg

bread's done
Back