Official 2011-2012 NBA Season thread

Wow lakers are terrible Down the stretch. Tonight at Denver they go scoreless for the final couple of mins. Yesterday they were the one who went on a 8-0 run to beat Denver in LA, today Denver goes on an 10-0 run to beat LA.

Kobe was just awful today 6 for 28 from the field. Ouch his worst game ever.
Bynum played well in the two games since returning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wish DeMarcus Cousins could some how be mature, but it seems to be failing. Kings played awesome tonight without him. I wonder what the most the Kings could get from a team for him, hoping maybe a role player and mid first round pick, but I doubt it.

[quote name='Beatofficer']I really wish DeMarcus Cousins could some how be mature, but it seems to be failing. Kings played awesome tonight without him. I wonder what the most the Kings could get from a team for him, hoping maybe a role player and mid first round pick, but I doubt it.[/QUOTE]

Since his demand has gone public, and that he's known for causing problems, his trade stock has gone through the floor.

This will be interesting to watch though.

[quote name='advanced']Since his demand has gone public, and that he's known for causing problems, his trade stock has gone through the floor.

This will be interesting to watch though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Kings have zero leverage in any trade.

Not a huge Mavericks fan. I only cheered for them when they faced the Heat in the finals, but man did they take a huge step back. Losing most of their key players that made them a championship contender just isn't smart.

What's the least amount of points score by one team in a game since the institution of the shot clock? Memphis only scored 64 last night (lol). Wasn't there a game in the last few years where a team only had like 30 or 40?

EDIT: Found it. Chicago only scored 49 points in a game against the Heat in 1999. box score

[quote name='dm85']Not a huge Mavericks fan. I only cheered for them when they faced the Heat in the finals, but man did they take a huge step back. Losing most of their key players that made them a championship contender just isn't smart.[/QUOTE]

Sure it is...if you are willing to concede the shortened season in hopes of landing Howard or Williams during the offseason. Mark Cuban is one of the best owners in the NBA and I have no doubt they'll be better off because of these moves. I'm a Knicks fan by the way.

Could backfire though. I'm guessing Williams and Howard team up in either Orlando or NJ. Only question is which it is, and whether it happens after the year in free agency or during the season in a sign and trade.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Could backfire though. I'm guessing Williams and Howard team up in either Orlando or NJ. Only question is which it is, and whether it happens after the year in free agency or during the season in a sign and trade.[/QUOTE]

Is Orlando in salary cap hell still. You keep mentioning them but I know last year they had the most money on the books. Even with arenas gone they still have hedo long term and just signed big baby. Their flexibility is limited. Damn near everyone comes off the books next year for Dallas except dirk Marion and haywood. Haywood can easily be flipped too due the 85 percent rule next year.

Dallas only looks bad.this year because they had a week of training camp. 15 games and they should be alright. Carter and west both look like they are up to par as do mahimmi and haywood. Taking everyone else a little while to get going.

All true. For Orlando to get Williams it would probably have to be a sign and trade, which would require Williams to refuse to sign with the Nets and demand a trade.

But that is possible if he really wants to play with Howard, and Howard decides he wants to stay in Orlando--which could happen if they keep winning. They're playing very well currently with Anderson and Redick improving a lot, and Turkoglu looking like his old self with hitting big shots and attacking the rim more.

Though I supposed they'd find a way to make the cap room in the off season if they had a shot at Williams in free agency. Turkoglu is probably the only player that's unmovable (unless part of a package with Howard). All the others they could probably move to free up room. And if Turk keeps playing well, I'm fine with keeping him around as he creates all kinds of mis match problems when he's playing well.

[quote name='kill3r7']Sure it is...if you are willing to concede the shortened season in hopes of landing Howard or Williams during the offseason. Mark Cuban is one of the best owners in the NBA and I have no doubt they'll be better off because of these moves. I'm a Knicks fan by the way.[/QUOTE]

No doubt Mark Cuban is a great owner. He always wants the best for his team and has a passion to get to the title game every year, but the one thing the Mavericks always seemed to lack was defense. The one year they have it they reach the title game. Now they lost it. They're a great team no doubt. Dirk has proven himself a clutch player over and over again and they have enough offense to keep them in contention. IF they land a star player in some type of trade during the season like Howard or Williams than obviously that changes things, but until than we'll see.

You guys keep forgetting that The LAKERS are gonna end up with Howard. With Bynum playing well these two games 23.5 ppg 14.5 rpg and Gasol's still a great player, and that trade exception they got for Odom which they would use for Hedo. Even if they take on Hedo contract the lakers can use their amnesty on him if. And that if they trade for Howard.
If Howard goes to free agenacy he will end up in LA. It will be good for his image and the fact that kareem abdul jabbar is a special coach will help his offense

[quote name='j.t']You guys keep forgetting that The LAKERS are gonna end up with Howard. With Bynum playing well these two games 23.5 ppg 14.5 rpg and Gasol's still a great player, and that trade exception they got for Odom which they would use for Hedo. Even if they take on Hedo contract the lakers can use their amnesty on him if. And that if they trade for Howard.
If Howard goes to free agenacy he will end up in LA. It will be good for his image and the fact that kareem abdul jabbar is a special coach will help his offense[/QUOTE]

Their cap number is already huge. The tax is going to eat them alive after next year.

I'm at the point of not really caring.

Howard leaves Orlando and I'll just quit following the NBA. I already don't follow super closely anyway as I've always been much more into college football and basketball than pro sports from growing up in a state with no pro sports.

And even college sports I'm losing interest in as it continues to become just all about the money and hard for smaller market teams to recruit, keep coaches etc.

[quote name='dm85']No doubt Mark Cuban is a great owner. He always wants the best for his team and has a passion to get to the title game every year, but the one thing the Mavericks always seemed to lack was defense. The one year they have it they reach the title game. Now they lost it. They're a great team no doubt. Dirk has proven himself a clutch player over and over again and they have enough offense to keep them in contention. IF they land a star player in some type of trade during the season like Howard or Williams than obviously that changes things, but until than we'll see.[/QUOTE]

The Mavs had no choice...had they paid Chandler and Butler, they would have had no flexibility over the next few years. Thus, they would be worst for it 3 or 4 years from now. Yes, it was a bold move but it was something they needed to do. Truth be told, they'll end up competing this year once and if they gel defensively.

[quote name='j.t']You guys keep forgetting that The LAKERS are gonna end up with Howard. With Bynum playing well these two games 23.5 ppg 14.5 rpg and Gasol's still a great player, and that trade exception they got for Odom which they would use for Hedo. Even if they take on Hedo contract the lakers can use their amnesty on him if. And that if they trade for Howard.
If Howard goes to free agenacy he will end up in LA. It will be good for his image and the fact that kareem abdul jabbar is a special coach will help his offense[/QUOTE]

The Lakers can't sign Howard but they can trade for him if you offer both Gasol and Bynum.

Letting Butler go was fine. It was more Chandler and Barea that were big losses. Butler was injured and out for the playoffs, so they showed they could win without him.

I get planning for the long term, but with aging stars like Dirk, Marion and Kidd, probably better to have just banked on winning another title in the next 2-3 years than planning long term right now. Make those long-term moves in 2-3 years when those players are retiring.

That's one thing that may have Dwight hesitant about signing a long term deal with the Lakers. Kobe ain't no spring chicken, and when he's gone he'd probably be back to the same situation he's been in in Orlando with being the only super star on a team. That's why I think he's more likely to want to try to pair up with Deron Williams.

Kobe's 33, while Williams is 27. Howard is 26, so it makes more sense to pair up with Williams if he has the option as they can finish out their careers together where as Kobe will be done 5+ years before Howard/Williams (barring injuries of course).

[quote name='dmaul1114']Letting Butler go was fine. It was more Chandler and Barea that were big losses. Butler was injured and out for the playoffs, so they showed they could win without him.

I get planning for the long term, but with aging stars like Dirk, Marion and Kidd, probably better to have just banked on winning another title in the next 2-3 years than planning long term right now. Make those long-term moves in 2-3 years when those players are retiring.

That's one thing that may have Dwight hesitant about signing a long term deal with the Lakers. Kobe ain't no spring chicken, and when he's gone he'd probably be back to the same situation he's been in in Orlando with being the only super star on a team. That's why I think he's more likely to want to try to pair up with Deron Williams.

Kobe's 33, while Williams is 27. Howard is 26, so it makes more sense to pair up with Williams if he has the option as they can finish out their careers together where as Kobe will be done 5+ years before Howard/Williams (barring injuries of course).[/QUOTE]

It makes perfect sense to team up with Williams, which Howard will most likely do in Brooklyn (much to my chagrin). With that said, I do think Dallas has a legitimate shot of landing Williams partially due to him being from Texas.

IMO the Mavs had to blow it up this year because they can still compete. Four years from now they would have a tough time drawing a star to sign with them w/o Nowitzki. In this day and age you need multiple superstars on your team to draw other stars. Role players/bordeline all stars just won't cut it as proven by Orlando.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Letting Butler go was fine. It was more Chandler and Barea that were big losses. Butler was injured and out for the playoffs, so they showed they could win without him.

Kobe's 33, while Williams is 27. Howard is 26, so it makes more sense to pair up with Williams if he has the option as they can finish out their careers together where as Kobe will be done 5+ years before Howard/Williams (barring injuries of course).[/QUOTE]

Signing Barea and Chandler would have killed Dallas financially. The new CBA basically forced Cuban's hand. Chandler and Barea were both valuable, but they got overpaid by a lot on the free agent market. Delonte does what Barea does and plays better defense. If Mahimmi continues to play well, the pairing of him and Haywood will work for a year. 25 million under the cap is significant and allows the Mavs to reload without overburdening themselves financially.

Plus I don't think Cuban is far off when he says this team is better than the team from last year. They have a much deeper team and enough skilled ball handlers to make this a less one dimensional team. The main issue is going to be getting everyone on the same page. Starting on Christmas with so short of a training camp and preseason was an idiotic move on Stern's part. By the time they get a 1/3rd of the way through the season they should be fine. They just need to work on their defensive rotations.

Where to begin....

Bynum is playing well now but this won't be sustained, we all know this. He also has a very bum knee that the entire league knows about.
Gasol is slowly making his way down the hill from his former self and everybody knows this. He won't be the player he is now for long, and the player now is still far away from his peak.

Now, if Orlando does trade Hedo/D12 for Drew/Pau (which would be mighty stupid [see above]), the Lakers can't amnesty Hedo. You can't trade for a player just to amnesty them (or something along those lines).

If Dwight goes to free agency, the Lakers can't afford him outright and would have to do a sign and trade if they even wanted a chance. See above for why that doesn't work out.

Lets also remember the CP3 trade that got blocked: The Lakers were trying (and probably will still want to) shed payroll. Taking Hedo doesn't make sense with those motives unless they can move him elsewhere (Guess what, they probably can't).

[quote name='advanced']Where to begin....

Bynum is playing well now but this won't be sustained, we all know this. He also has a very bum knee that the entire league knows about.
Gasol is slowly making his way down the hill from his former self and everybody knows this. He won't be the player he is now for long, and the player now is still far away from his peak.

Now, if Orlando does trade Hedo/D12 for Drew/Pau (which would be mighty stupid [see above]), the Lakers can't amnesty Hedo. You can't trade for a player just to amnesty them (or something along those lines).

If Dwight goes to free agency, the Lakers can't afford him outright and would have to do a sign and trade if they even wanted a chance. See above for why that doesn't work out.

Lets also remember the CP3 trade that got blocked: The Lakers were trying (and probably will still want to) shed payroll. Taking Hedo doesn't make sense with those motives unless they can move him elsewhere (Guess what, they probably can't).[/QUOTE]

This. Plus, believe it or not they would have to cut Blake or McRoberts to take Hedo's K since the trade exception wouldn't suffice.

[quote name='kill3r7']This. Plus, believe it or not they would have to cut Blake or McRoberts to take Hedo's K since the trade exception wouldn't suffice.[/QUOTE]

They could amnesty someone (Walton, probably) to help make room, seeing as how Blake and McBob are doing pretty decently (from what I've seen/read/heard) but that all goes with the "Is Orlando stupid enough to do this trade?" talk.

[quote name='advanced']They could amnesty someone (Walton, probably) to help make room, seeing as how Blake and McBob are doing pretty decently (from what I've seen/read/heard) but that all goes with the "Is Orlando stupid enough to do this trade?" talk.[/QUOTE]

Can't amnesty a player during the season. Teams had until December 20 something to do so for this year.

If I was Orlando I would do the Gasol + Bynum deal in a heart beat. Then I would ship Gasol to Houston for Scola and Martin. All of this is based on the assumption that D12 will not resign.

[quote name='kill3r7']Can't amnesty a player during the season. Teams had until December 20 something to do so for this year.

If I was Orlando I would do the Gasol + Bynum deal in a heart beat. Then I would ship Gasol to Houston for Scola and Martin. All of this is based on the assumption that D12 will not resign.[/QUOTE]

Ah! Well then, there goes that. For your proposal, wouldn't it have to be a three-team trade at the point? Something about you can't trade someone after you acquire them in a trade? I know this is why the David West to Boston thing fell through because NOH couldn't find a partner willing to take Jermaine O'Neal in the deal and they didn't want to be stuck with him.

So it would be:
Lakers get: D12/Hedo
Rockets get: Gasol
Magic get: Bynum/Martin/Scola

I don't know if salaries work, but it doesn't seem like its that far fetched (with Orlando receiving a good crop for D12/Hedo).

Edit: Trade works. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7t23twz

[quote name='advanced']Ah! Well then, there goes that. For your proposal, wouldn't it have to be a three-team trade at the point? Something about you can't trade someone after you acquire them in a trade? I know this is why the David West to Boston thing fell through because NOH couldn't find a partner willing to take Jermaine O'Neal in the deal and they didn't want to be stuck with him.

So it would be:

I don't know if salaries work, but it doesn't seem like its that far fetched (with Orlando receiving a good crop for D12/Hedo).[/QUOTE]

I think you can still trade him. What you can't do is trade for a player then cut him but I could be mistaken.

[quote name='kill3r7']
If I was Orlando I would do the Gasol + Bynum deal in a heart beat. Then I would ship Gasol to Houston for Scola and Martin. All of this is based on the assumption that D12 will not resign.[/QUOTE]

As I said earlier, just no reason to rush a trade. Magic are playing well early on, ride it out and see if Howard decides to stay.

If he doesn't, that deal or a better one will still be their at the trade deadline. They're title shot for the next 5 years or so is probably gone if Howard leaves regardless of what they get in return (as nothing will be close to equal value) so they're honestly not much worse off than if they just let him walk.

I'd almost be more inclined to just see if they could trade him to one of the worst teams around the deadline for some high draft picks and just totally start over. Probably not feasible though since Howard would just refuse to sign an extension with anyone other than the Magic, Mavs, Nets and Lakers as he's already said.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Stay classy Flip Saunders.
[/QUOTE]

That was uploaded pretty quick.

And dmaul, I agree with you. There are possibly more, and possibly better, deals awaiting depending on how some teams are doing at the deadline.

What am I missing in the Saunders video? I didn't see anything other than him screaming at the official over a terrible no call.

[quote name='dmaul1114']What am I missing in the Saunders video? I didn't see anything other than him screaming at the official over a terrible no call.[/QUOTE]

He follows the refs out to mid court to continue the argument. A player on his team stops him and then he goes right back to arguing.

Edit: Just noticed its the Washington feed too. I'm watching the Boston feed. Pretty funny how the two teams called the play. I thought it was a clean block but the aftermath should have probably had a whistle. Whatever, its no worse than other bad calls this season.

[quote name='dmaul1114']As I said earlier, just no reason to rush a trade. Magic are playing well early on, ride it out and see if Howard decides to stay.

If he doesn't, that deal or a better one will still be their at the trade deadline. They're title shot for the next 5 years or so is probably gone if Howard leaves regardless of what they get in return (as nothing will be close to equal value) so they're honestly not much worse off than if they just let him walk.

I'd almost be more inclined to just see if they could trade him to one of the worst teams around the deadline for some high draft picks and just totally start over. Probably not feasible though since Howard would just refuse to sign an extension with anyone other than the Magic, Mavs, Nets and Lakers as he's already said.[/QUOTE]

If you think you can win it all this year, you have to keep D12. Otherwise it would be wise to take the best offer available whenever you decide to trade him.

[quote name='kill3r7']If you think you can win it all this year, you have to keep D12. Otherwise it would be wise to take the best offer available whenever you decide to trade him.[/QUOTE]

That's basically what I said. I think this team is probably as good or better than the team that made the Finals a couple years ago.

If they're in the top 3 in the east as the trade deadline nears, I'd just keep Howard and go for the title. If not, then take the best offer you can get at the deadline.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's basically what I said. I think this team is probably as good or better than the team that made the Finals a couple years ago.

I'd they're in the top 3 in the east as the trade deadline nears, I'd just keep Howard and go for the title. If not, then take the best offer you can get at the deadline.[/QUOTE]

I was agreeing with your assessment of the situation. IMO the Bynum Gasol offer is better than anything the Nets are offering. And it would keep Orlando competitive post Howard.

Figures. I talk up the Magic a bit and they play like shit and lose to the Pistons. :roll:

But I figure most teams will have a lot of ups and downs this year with all the back to back and back to back to back games on the schedule.

Ive still got money on the mavs this year.
The Heat and OKC still need better big men and a solid bench to make it in the long run at least I think. Im hoping the Celtics and the Bulls make the playoffs again.

I just saw that the Hawks beat the Heat

I think OKC is still too young. Too much drama with Westbrook etc.

But I think Miami (unfortunately) wins the title easily unless one of the big 3 goes down.

I think the Mavs will miss Chandler and Barea too much, especially with Kidd and Marion another year older. They'll have a good year, but lose to someone like OKC in the playoffs.

I could see the Spurs getting hot if healthy in the playoffs and having a shot at a title. But as old as they are the health portion of that is probably unlikely.

So I checked out the Power Rankings on NBA.com and was pretty surprised that the Blazers were ranked 5th, Magic 6th, and Nuggets 7th.

Just heard Manu Ginobili just broke his left hand. Thats a huge blow to the Spurs

Well the power rankings were before tonights games, and the Magic were 4-1 and had looked very good the last 4 games before losing to night. They'll drop in the next version of the rankings.

And that sucks for the Spurs....and a bit funny/weird to see that posted right after I posted that I doubted they could stay healthy.

[quote name='advanced']Ah! Well then, there goes that. For your proposal, wouldn't it have to be a three-team trade at the point? Something about you can't trade someone after you acquire them in a trade? I know this is why the David West to Boston thing fell through because NOH couldn't find a partner willing to take Jermaine O'Neal in the deal and they didn't want to be stuck with him.

So it would be:

I don't know if salaries work, but it doesn't seem like its that far fetched (with Orlando receiving a good crop for D12/Hedo).

Edit: Trade works. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7t23twz[/QUOTE]

Damn Lakers got a 93 million payroll. Last year it was 82 million, even with losing losing Odom it went up.

[quote name='j.t']Damn Lakers got a 93 million payroll. Last year it was 82 million, even with losing losing Odom it went up.[/QUOTE]

I believe its due to the yearly raises of contracts? Either way, yeah, if Odom has stayed, it'd be over, or very close to, $100 mil. Crazy to think about that.

I thought Mitch Kupchak said he wouldn't trade both Bynum and Gasol? If it was a deal for DH12 than I'm sure his stance would change.

Bulls have looked very good ever since that ugly loss to the Warriors. Got the Hawks tomorrow night which should be a good game.

Dallas is treating this game like its the slam dunk contest. fucking mahinmi threw it down and wright and carter just went to one up him.

76ers seem to be legit this year. 4-2 and currently up by 31 against the Raptors in their home opener. Looking at their lineup it is actually pretty stellar.
pg- jrue, lou
sg- meeks (been on fire lately), turner
sf- andre, thadeus
pf- brand
c- hawes (been great lately, averaging a double-double), vucevic

Lakers defeat Memphis despite 27 turnover, Yes I said 27. Pretty good Home crowd for the Lakers tonight. The Lakers crowd has been dare I say great so far this year. I think the CP3 to the Clippers has wounded the Laker fan's pride and their set to prove they're still best in LA.

bread's done
Back