Official Amazon Quick Picks FAQ - READ 1st POST

[quote name='Vortextk']I'm wary of waiting till black friday for deals and then having them sell out or something though. Decisions decisions. Though with that info I'll try adding some more games, I guess I'm buying bioshock 2 as well, might as well get that in my lists as well as anything else I'm remotely interested in. I tried that for awhile and when I finally got like 3 games(that weren't even in my recs), I scaled back to just these few.[/QUOTE]
Word, let me know if you do get Bio-Shock because I've been trying to get the PC version to show up for a while now.

[quote name='Afflicted']Anyway looked like you were asking for suggestions earlier... I think keep prereleases and maybe up to 2 months after release and maybe AAA titles... would keep the list from getting out of hand... if ya wanted a more active approach maybe drop a title off the list if noone has seen it in 1 month... could track more closely with what is currently showing up.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's the original idea behind keeping a date added column, so that I can easily see how old stuff is. I think I have a good plan now, in which games can go MIA after a month of not being listed by a member here. I'll drop those games to my second post, so that they will be lost but not forgotten. Not only will this help keep the thread healthy with constant activity, but also keep the list informative and accurate.

Thanks for ideas!

[quote name='Jodou']With pre-orders this will lock in the discount amount even if it drops lower, so it's in your best interest to try and catch it at a higher price.[/QUOTE]
This part is actually not true. The 5 percent discount is locked in, but not the dollar amount. It used to work that way, but it changed a while back. If you preorder something for $50.00, the Quick Picks discount will be $2.50, but if the item price then drops to $40.00, the discount will drop to $2.00.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']This part is actually not true. The 5 percent discount is locked in, but not the dollar amount. It used to work that way, but it changed a while back. If you preorder something for $50.00, the Quick Picks discount will be $2.50, but if the item price then drops to $40.00, the discount will drop to $2.00.[/QUOTE]
How bizarre, it works for dollar amount with ECA. I'll make the change, thanks.

Got one new one yesterday & one repeat (that I forgot to mention earlier & I don't think is listed), both PS3:

Brink
Katamari Forever

EDIT: I just noticed Shadow Complex in my recommendations, which reminded me it was in my Quick Picks once before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pretty decently sized quick pick selection, just nothing that I'm looking for. I guess since you're posting dates now, even though I have a lot of duplicates I'll post mine for today:

:360: 360
Magna Carta 2
Raiden IV Limited Edition
Resonance of Fate

:ds: DS
Drawn to Life: Spongebob Squarepants Edition
Nostalgia
Phantasy Star Ø

:ps3: PS3
Last Rebellion

:psp:
Resident Evil PSP

For what it's worth, I also had The Art of Street Fighter collection.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I have a pretty decently sized quick pick selection, just nothing that I'm looking for. I guess since you're posting dates now, even though I have a lot of duplicates I'll post mine for today:

:360: 360
Magna Carta 2
Raiden IV Limited Edition
Resonance of Fate

Drawn to Life: Spongebob Squarepants Edition
Nostalgia
Phantasy Star Ø

:ps3: PS3
Last Rebellion

:psp:
Resident Evil PSP

For what it's worth, I also had The Art of Street Fighter collection.[/QUOTE]
Man, the most I've ever had was three in one day, but eight is ridiculous! Thanks for the update, mate. Mine haven't refreshed for the day yet, so hopefully I get something on my recommendations list.
[quote name='argyle']Got one new one yesterday & one repeat (that I forgot to mention earlier & I don't think is listed), both PS3:

Brink
Katamari Forever

EDIT: I just noticed Shadow Complex in my recommendations, which reminded me it was in my Quick Picks once before.[/QUOTE]Added, thanks!

I just ordered brutal legend and demon's souls, screw quick picks =P

Got heavy rain today, along with a beatles album and a "flowering tea set"....

1/3 beats most of my days though. On the fence about this game so I'll just throw up a pre-order with eca and see how it turns out.

New one today,

X360 - Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

Between the 5% Quick Pick, 10% ECA, recent price drop from 36.99 to 34.99 and the $5 GC that comes with pre-order, I'm getting this at a real nice price.

[quote name='dvdactor'] Between the 5% Quick Pick, 10% ECA, recent price drop from 36.99 to 34.99 and the $5 GC that comes with pre-order, I'm getting this at a real nice price.[/QUOTE]Yeah, makes me wonder why I did DD on the first one...

I got Heavy Rain, which I had canceled, today so that confirms the you can delete a preorder and still get the same item in your Gold Box sometime later... Which has me wondering if I should cancel all of my preorders (minus MW2) that are coming out after ODST. (I'll probably wait a day or two... I'm trying like hell to get Alpha Protocol for the 360.)

Which, brings up my next question... If you check uninterested on one of the platforms (in the case Alpha Protocol for the PS3) will Amazon still try to tempt you with the 360 version or are you shooting yourself in the foot?

Edit: I also got Metal Gear Solid Rising for the 360 and Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time for the PS3 today. (Not sure about MGSR so I preordered it and passed on Ratchet and Clank... I've never played them, I'm positive its my loss but considering what's coming out soon it will be cheaper before I even get a chance to get to it.)

I thought I had a good one yesterday, but today is all games too (and quite a few I've been waiting on):

:wii: Wii
A Boy and his Blob
Klonoa
Monster Hunter 3
Muramasa: Demon Blade
Red Steel 2

Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']Which, brings up my next question... If you check uninterested on one of the platforms (in the case Alpha Protocol for the PS3) will Amazon still try to tempt you with the 360 version or are you shooting yourself in the foot?[/QUOTE]
That's a very good question for which I don't have a definitive answer, but I would have to say it should not rule out another platform. I have the 360 version of FFXIII marked as such, but I still have the PS3 copy in my recommendations. If I get it in my picks, we'll know for sure.

Dunno how I didn't see this thread immediately when it popped up (I had a blog about Amazon Quick Picks a week or so ago) but I definitely learned me some new stuff.

Yesterday I FINALLY had two games pop up that I was trying to get in there: Super Mario Galaxy 2 and A Witch's Tale.

Now I'm trying for Brutal Legend something fierce. I "pre-ordered" Dragon Age: Origins CE, BioShock 2, Dante's Inferno, and Assassin's Creed 2, while rating and saying I owned Wet.

Edit: And to answer the question you were trying to answer Jodou, I can confirm that it does not rule out that other platform. I've had it happen with both Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno. Both appeared in my Quick Picks on one platform (PS3 in this instance) while their 360 counterparts were marked Not Interested.

Well I guess that sums it up. 1: Either fake pre-order or actually pre-order games. 2: Make sure the games you want are actually showing up in quick picks.

Timeline:
9th: Ordered Demon's souls deluxe and brutal legend, without quick picks
10th: Got heavy rain and 2 junk items
11th: Got Resonance of Fate, Professor Layton and the diablolical box and real triggers for a ps3 controller(triggers and resonance are in my recommendations)

Oh and quick edit, I'm going through my "not interested" list taking some things off it now that I've gotten the majority of games I wanted. Maybe I can get upcoming games to pop up if I decide I want one of them later. But I am seeing the new professor layton, which did appear in my quick picks today, in my not interested list.

So even marking something as not interested doesn't necessarily preclude it from your picks as I just got uncharted 2 in there the other day after checking "not interested" on that weeks ago.

[quote name='Jodou']That's a very good question for which I don't have a definitive answer, but I would have to say it should not rule out another platform. I have the 360 version of FFXIII marked as such, but I still have the PS3 copy in my recommendations. If I get it in my picks, we'll know for sure.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I went ahead and said not interested in Alpha Protocol for the PS3 but most, if not all, of the PS3 games that drop in are exclusives... (which is pretty much all that I want.)

I'm tempted to cancel my Demon's Souls Deluxe preorder... and try to get it into my gold box but they have dropped the price on it since I preordered it and I'm not sure I really want to play that game as I'm not sure how long its been sitting at 66.99. (I actually wrote them asking for when they would have it the same day Atlas announced the Deluxe edition... My Asian copy went on eBay soon after that. :lol: )

Tempted to do the same thing with a few other games but, well, I'm not sure I want to take the chance...

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']I'm tempted to cancel my Demon's Souls Deluxe preorder... and try to get it into my gold box[/QUOTE]
I'd caution you that they may have remove this for gold picks eligibility since it has not been seen in a while. There's no harm in trying save for having the locked in price of $66.99. I've been trying to do the same with Star Wars: TFU Sith Edition PS3 for a while now and it's just not eligible yet.

[quote name='Vortextk']Oh and quick edit, I'm going through my "not interested" list taking some things off it now that I've gotten the majority of games I wanted. Maybe I can get upcoming games to pop up if I decide I want one of them later. But I am seeing the new professor layton, which did appear in my quick picks today, in my not interested list.

So even marking something as not interested doesn't necessarily preclude it from your picks as I just got uncharted 2 in there the other day after checking "not interested" on that weeks ago.[/QUOTE]You have a bizarre quick picks, because I've never had that problem. It's funny, but I'm doing the same today by removing Metal Gear Solid: Rising and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow from my not interested list. Before I had a full grasp of the system, I just eliminated everything from my recommendations that I wasn't specifically targeting at the time. Now that I'm more enlightened, I'm pre-ordering Halo Reach to get MGSR, which will then get me Castlevania. Should be an interesting couple of days.

[quote name='Nirron']Edit: And to answer the question you were trying to answer Jodou, I can confirm that it does not rule out that other platform. I've had it happen with both Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno. Both appeared in my Quick Picks on one platform (PS3 in this instance) while their 360 counterparts were marked Not Interested.[/QUOTE]
Excellent, I'll add this to the FAQ. Thanks!

My Quick Picks were doing awesome on two different accounts and then they got stale. It went back to showing me complete junk that has nothing to do with my interests. I've tried tweaking my recommendations, owning/rating more items, etc.. but can't seem to get it back to where it was showing me 5 or 6 upcoming games per day. Then again, I did order most of them to lock in Goldbox + ECA, so maybe I've simply run out :)

[quote name='Tomeeboy']My Quick Picks were doing awesome on two different accounts and then they got stale. It went back to showing me complete junk that has nothing to do with my interests. I've tried tweaking my recommendations, owning/rating more items, etc.. but can't seem to get it back to where it was showing me 5 or 6 upcoming games per day. Then again, I did order most of them to lock in Goldbox + ECA, so maybe I've simply run out :)[/QUOTE]
You're correct, there comes a point where you simply will run out of games eligible to show up. The days where you get 5-6 games are because you've got a ton of stuff for it to build that list from. When you narrow down what you're after, it slows to 0-2 a day. I prefer getting want I'm after the next day rather than 5-6 games I don't want.

With Jodou's advice (I appreciate it!) I was cleaning up my recomendation. It was flooded with textbooks and such.

Many games I am interested in are available such as Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, and even Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story. The one game I really wanted to be there, Super Mario Bros Wii, isn't coming up! So frustrating!

[quote name='flameofdoom666']With Jodou's advice (I appreciate it!) I was cleaning up my recomendation. It was flooded with textbooks and such.

Many games I am interested in are available such as Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, and even Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story. The one game I really wanted to be there, Super Mario Bros Wii, isn't coming up! So frustrating![/QUOTE]
Ha, getting those started will be rough because they're all linked. What I mean is, if you order any one of those you should see the rest pop up the next day. My advice is to pre-order Super Mario Galaxy 2 for now and rate it. I can almost guarantee you will get one of the other three, if not all of them, the next day. Once you do, order them and cancel SMG2 so it can show up the day after. If it doesn't show up, I'll give you a free ECA account lulz!

Good luck mate!

[quote name='Jodou']Ha, getting those started will be rough because they're all linked. What I mean is, if you order any one of those you should see the rest pop up the next day. My advice is to pre-order Super Mario Galaxy 2 for now and rate it. I can almost guarantee you will get one of the other three, if not all of them, the next day. Once you do, order them and cancel SMG2 so it can show up the day after. If it doesn't show up, I'll give you a free ECA account lulz!

Good luck mate![/QUOTE]

Preordering on amazon.com isn't charged until the order is actually sent- right? So if I preorder Super Mario Galaxy 2, it won't even appear on the credit card- right?

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Preordering on amazon.com isn't charged until the order is actually sent- right? So if I preorder Super Mario Galaxy 2, it won't even appear on the credit card- right?[/QUOTE]
You got it.

Okay... I think I'm going crazy. There seems to be one glaring problem that I can't overcome: I don't see "Quick Picks" anywhere! I go to the Gold Box page, the page linked in the very first part of the FAQ, this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

I see "Deal of the Day", then "Lightning Deals" to the right, featuring all the timed deals coming up today, then below that there's a horizontal scroll bar labled "Best Deals", and I can limit it to just video games, but that just gives me 4 crappy video game deals on a singstar mic and Spongebob. Then below that it just list a bunch of recent forum threads.

As it says in the FAQ -

I keep hearing about 'gold/quick picks'; what are people talking about?
This is refering to the Amazon Gold Box page which lists personal quick picks just below the gold box deals.

Looking just below the gold box deals and not seeing any "Quick Picks". Wtf. :bomb:

Ok, so maybe I'm lloking at the wrong thing; so I go to the top of the page and choose "recommendations". In the loaded window I choose "See all recommendation", which gives me this page

http://www.amazon.com/gp/yourstore/recs/ref=pd_ys_tdy_recs

Then over on the left I limit the view to video games. Here I do see a bunch of games for pre-order, but there's no discount, they're all full price.

Good lord, it's been a long day. I know I'm doing something wrong, but I just followed the links and am just not seeing what I'm looking for. And I read the FAQ 3 times. Again, I think I'm going mad. Thanks in advance for any help.

[quote name='Jodou']I'd caution you that they may have remove this for gold picks eligibility since it has not been seen in a while. There's no harm in trying save for having the locked in price of $66.99. I've been trying to do the same with Star Wars: TFU Sith Edition PS3 for a while now and it's just not eligible yet.[/QUOTE]
Cool. I'll just hold pat at my current price, which is still an awesome price, as its WELL worth it! Best JRPG this generation... easy.

Got my God of War Collection today. :cool:

BTW: SW: TFU, even in a new wrapper, isn't worth a whole big chunk of change....

Lost Planet 2 and WM+ for me today, both I added into my recommendations yesterday with a few ratings. Is that really ps3 only? Hm. Don't really want the game even for 50$ and so little uses WM+ right now, but it was half a test as well as stuff that I kinda want =P

Found out yesterday that resonance of fate was ps3 and 360 though, thought it was ps3 exclusive. Might have to get the 360 version in my quick picks, we'll see.

[quote name='unopepito06']Okay... I think I'm going crazy. There seems to be one glaring problem that I can't overcome: I don't see "Quick Picks" anywhere! I go to the Gold Box page, the page linked in the very first part of the FAQ, this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

I see "Deal of the Day", then "Lightning Deals" to the right, featuring all the timed deals coming up today, then below that there's a horizontal scroll bar labled "Best Deals", and I can limit it to just video games, but that just gives me 4 crappy video game deals on a singstar mic and Spongebob. Then below that it just list a bunch of recent forum threads.

As it says in the FAQ -

I keep hearing about 'gold/quick picks'; what are people talking about?
This is refering to the Amazon Gold Box page which lists personal quick picks just below the gold box deals.

Looking just below the gold box deals and not seeing any "Quick Picks". Wtf. :bomb:[/quote]I've clarified the FAQ to include below Best Deals, as well. The only reason you should not be seeing your quick picks is because you're not logged in. If that's not the reason, try opening it in another browser. If it still isn't showing up, I'd contact Amazon technical help.
Ok, so maybe I'm lloking at the wrong thing; so I go to the top of the page and choose "recommendations". In the loaded window I choose "See all recommendation", which gives me this page

http://www.amazon.com/gp/yourstore/recs/ref=pd_ys_tdy_recs

Then over on the left I limit the view to video games. Here I do see a bunch of games for pre-order, but there's no discount, they're all full price.
This is the area you will want to see games you're trying to get in your quick picks. Remove anything you're not interested in and if you follow the FAQ to a T, you should start seeing the games you do want.

Hope this helps!

[quote name='Vortextk']Found out yesterday that resonance of fate was ps3 and 360 though, thought it was ps3 exclusive. Might have to get the 360 version in my quick picks, we'll see.[/QUOTE]
Speaking of exclusives, I just found out Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is also not exclusive to the 360, but Amazon doesn't have a listing for the PS3. GameStop doesn't have a listing at all, so am I missing something? Anyone know if this game went exclusive?

Maybe I overdid it on twiking my recommendations. Only thing listed today is Chrono Cross for $1 off :lol

I did try to put in a bunch of Info for Live Arcade games, I want to see if its possible to get one of them to show up in Quick Picks.

[quote name='Jodou']Speaking of exclusives, I just found out Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is also not exclusive to the 360, but Amazon doesn't have a listing for the PS3. GameStop doesn't have a listing at all, so am I missing something? Anyone know if this game went exclusive?[/QUOTE]

They announced it as 360/PS3, so it's definitely still going to the PS3 Amazon has been doing this a lot oddly. They still have MGS: Rising listed with only the 360 version, where it's also headed to PS3 and PC.

On a Quick Pick note, I don't know why this happened, but they actually gave me a game I said I owned (Uncharted 2). I have like 15 games rated for Brutal Legend and Final Fantasy XIII, but somehow it has a bunch of Beatles stuff, Fossil Fighters (don't know WHERE that came from), and Uncharted 2.

[quote name='Nirron']They announced it as 360/PS3, so it's definitely still going to the PS3 Amazon has been doing this a lot oddly. They still have MGS: Rising listed with only the 360 version, where it's also headed to PS3 and PC.[/QUOTE]Oh word, guess I'll cancel my 360 order once they list it.

On a Quick Pick note, I don't know why this happened, but they actually gave me a game I said I owned (Uncharted 2). I have like 15 games rated for Brutal Legend and Final Fantasy XIII, but somehow it has a bunch of Beatles stuff, Fossil Fighters (don't know WHERE that came from), and Uncharted 2.
Something is funky about Uncharted 2, since you're the second person to have this happen. As for Brutal Legend and FFXIII, they're not eligible to show up yet. I'm keeping an eye out for when they are and you guys will be the first to know.

Interesting idea on the ineligible part. I guess quite a few are trying to get both to show up and having no luck, so that makes sense. I may just have to order Brutal Legend soon if that's the case, since I'm not sure when they cut off Release Date delivery. I just wonder why they'd flag those two games as ineligible, especially when one is just 1 month away.

Edit: Also, to add to your awesome list of eligibles on the first page, figure I'll give a couple (though I doubt many will care about one or two)

:ds: A Witch's Tale
:ps3: Modnation Racers
:ps3: Bayonetta

This may be a stupid question, but how exactly did some of you guys get Mass Effect 2 in your gold box? I've added dragon age, fallout 3, and fable 2 as items I own, and it shows Mass Effect 2 in recommendations among other games, but I get NO games whatsoever in my gold box. I've even deleted all non-game recommendations to make sure.

[quote name='Raikoh']This may be a stupid question, but how exactly did some of you guys get Mass Effect 2 in your gold box? I've added dragon age, fallout 3, and fable 2 as items I own, and it shows Mass Effect 2 in recommendations among other games, but I get NO games whatsoever in my gold box. I've even deleted all non-game recommendations to make sure.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried doing any fake pre-orders (pre-ordering related items with no intent to purchase, cancelling after you get what you want)? Amazon seems to listen to your wallet more than anything.

Also, you can try adding more items that make ME2 recommended for you. I've been finding out which work and which don't by doing this:
1. Open quite a few pages for products under "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought"
2. Go to Your Browsing History and delete the game you want (ME2 in this case)
3. Go to Recommended For You and click on Browse Recommended
4. You should see the game you want listed there, and click on Fix This. Whatever games show up that you haven't rated or said you own, doing so should make the game more recommended.

Your account can also seem to stagnate. A few months ago, I hadn't bought games off Amazon for over 6 months, and it took my Quick Picks a while to get good games in there, namely after I had done quite a few fake pre-orders and made sure that I had rated quite a few games that related to what I wanted. Of course, it was far from instant. Amazon is a fancy lady; you can't just take her home the first night, but once you get the gates open and maintain them, it can go quite nicely.

Well, I tried opening the page in firefox, still no luck. I'm definitely signed in. Guess I will contact amazon as you suggested. Thanks for your help, man!

UPDATE: Alright, it showed up! I got 1 item - Ghostbusters blu-ray. I will now go do all the recommended suggestions in the FAQ to try to get some sweet deals, lol.

Does it have to be in the Today's recommendation? Or can it just be in what they recommend for the game's to possibly be in the quick picks?

If you're talking about Today's Recommendations For You bar that appears after you click on the recommendations hyperlink at the top of the page, then those tend to be the same recommendations you get daily. In other words: those may reflect your recommendations, but they may not be what determines your Quick Picks

When you click the recommendations button, click on the tab that says "Recommended for You" (this link should take you there). The items there seem to be the determinant for Quick Picks.

[quote name='Nirron']
:ds: A Witch's Tale
:ps3: Modnation Racers
:ps3: Bayonetta[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Afflicted']ok got

:ps3: ModNation Racers

in quick picks today...[/QUOTE]
Nice find! Looks like brand spankin' new ones too, thanks.

[quote name='unopepito06']UPDATE: Alright, it showed up! I got 1 item - Ghostbusters blu-ray. I will now go do all the recommended suggestions in the FAQ to try to get some sweet deals, lol.[/QUOTE]
Good luck. ;)
[quote name='nintendofan9999']Does it have to be in the Today's recommendation? Or can it just be in what they recommend for the game's to possibly be in the quick picks?[/QUOTE]You want them to be in your full recommendations list. Make sure to follow the link to 'see all recommendations' and you'll be there.

[quote name='lllGurulll']This must be somewhat outdated. I have done all of this for the past week and I can't get anything in my box at all.[/QUOTE]
Is the game(s) you're trying to get on our confirmed list? It's generally a big red flag that the game is ineligible for quick picks if you've done everything to a T and the game you want still isn't showing up. I can try to help you with more information.

This thread has absolutely blown my mind. I came in here trying to figure out how to pre-order Demon's Souls for as cheaply as possible and I ended up learning so much I never knew. For YEARS I didn't understand why I was getting text books as my recommendations based on incredibly old purchases. THANK YOU Jodou and every contributor to this thread!

I am a little confused about the process of getting a game to show up in quick picks based on recommendations of games that aren't out yet. For example, I got Demon's Souls on my recommendations list by adding a couple games coming out in a few months to my shopping cart and "pre-ordering" another.

Would my chances of getting Demon's Souls to show up in my quick picks go up/down if I instead marked the games in my shopping cart as "owned" despite them not being out yet?

bread's done
Back