Official Amazon Quick Picks FAQ - READ 1st POST

[quote name='Vortextk']All that stuff just for tie-in to video game purchases? You're sure everything else is marked as "do not use for recommendations"?[/QUOTE]

Not really, just wanting a broad range of media (books, games, and movies) in my quick picks. Then suddenly, I get craptastic stuff like my previous posts.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Not really, just wanting a broad range of media (books, games, and movies) in my quick picks. Then suddenly, I get craptastic stuff like my previous posts.[/QUOTE]
Thing is, you need to be focused on what you want or else you'll get junk day after day. When I tried just having a general range of items for it to put in my picks, I'd have little to no success the first day after and then nothing for weeks. I finally figured out that if I wanted something the next day, I'd need to go after it specifically and hard. I've completely abandoned just owning/rating stuff and instead only make pre-orders then rate them. I always try to make sure I have three games ordered that will recommend what I'm after.

I want to say that after even one day, all your efforts the day before are reset. However, there are bursts where Amazon will update their recommendations and you will get a bunch of games (that you generally don't want). I've found this usually happens over the weekend in the early morning.

How do you guys get the 5% discount on the games in your recommendations? I click on: "We have recommendations for you" and then I place it in my cart its still $56.99 and no discount is applied.

[quote name='Jodou']Thing is, you need to be focused on what you want or else you'll get junk day after day. When I tried just having a general range of items for it to put in my picks, I'd have little to no success the first day after and then nothing for weeks. I finally figured out that if I wanted something the next day, I'd need to go after it specifically and hard. I've completely abandoned just owning/rating stuff and instead only make pre-orders then rate them. I always try to make sure I have three games ordered that will recommend what I'm after.

I want to say that after even one day, all your efforts the day before are reset. However, there are bursts where Amazon will update their recommendations and you will get a bunch of games (that you generally don't want). I've found this usually happens over the weekend in the early morning.[/QUOTE]

Alright. I'll go back through and get the preorders I am looking for and nothing else in my recommends and see what happens over the next few days.

hm does anyone know a easy way to uncheck something i've put down as "not interested"? because the only way i can figure out is to go to improve your recommendations and then go through the list of items i've marked as not interested. problem is that i have almost 2000 items there, so its a real hassle to find a game i get interested in later. for example, at the moment i read previews of Crackdown 2, and it piqued my interest, but now i'm going to have to dig through all these items to find it in this huge list.

edit: i found it, it was only item number 1453 :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='y2jasper']hm does anyone know a easy way to uncheck something i've put down as "not interested"? because the only way i can figure out is to go to improve your recommendations and then go through the list of items i've marked as not interested. problem is that i have almost 2000 items there, so its a real hassle to find a game i get interested in later. for example, at the moment i read previews of Crackdown 2, and it piqued my interest, but now i'm going to have to dig through all these items to find it in this huge list.

edit: i found it, it was only item number 1453 :cry:[/QUOTE]

May have actually been easier to go to the game page and check you own it and highest level of interest.

So I narrowed my recommends down to a nice low number, in the 20s or 30s. I get a lot of stuff that I want today, but it just happens to be mainly DVDs. I did get Nostalgia and Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, but the rest were all tv series, which is still cool.

Amazon is playing hard to get with GoW:C, so I'm experimenting with multiple orders now. I already have GoW III, TLG, and Heavy Rain pre-ordered with the gold box discount so rather than cancel those to get one game, I'm ordering them again. This should go a long way towards proving whether or not quick picks are based on the most recent purchases or not.

[quote name='Jodou']Amazon is playing hard to get with GoW:C, so I'm experimenting with multiple orders now. I already have GoW III, TLG, and Heavy Rain pre-ordered with the gold box discount so rather than cancel those to get one game, I'm ordering them again. This should go a long way towards proving whether or not quick picks are based on the most recent purchases or not.[/QUOTE]

Good luck good sir. I've had it show up once or twice (as I keep going schizophrenic over whether to ACTUALLY keep it or not) but it almost seems random compared to my efforts. I'm currently having the same problem with Dante's Inferno - one of the games I mentioned earlier that apparently had no ECA code applied to it.

Good luck in your pursuit, solely in the name of SCIENCE.
portals_source_engine_science.jpg

Damnit amazon, thinking about uncharted 2 now. I wasn't going to get it before, I liked the first game but I doubt I'll play the MP of the second, but they just added another 5$ off next video game purchase to it. I guess I'll order if it shows up in my goldbox. Judging by the first game, I won't EVER get the second one for sub 30 for a very long time anyway, even used.

Something really strange happened today. Both GT5 and Uncharted 2 appeared in my Gold Box today despite the fact that I've had them both pre-ordered from previous Gold Boxes. I checked my orders and they're both still listed. I was under the impression that this wasn't possible.

[quote name='craven_fiend']May have actually been easier to go to the game page and check you own it and highest level of interest.
[/QUOTE]

but if i did this won't it not show up in my goldbox anyway?

also was kind of surprised since it showed up in my quick picks today, after i just added it to my recommendations last night.

[quote name='Vortextk']. . .they just added another 5$ off next video game purchase to it.[/QUOTE]
Haha, nice! This brings my total to $33.63 w/ free release date shipping after all the discounts! Amazon rocks!

[quote name='Jerkapotamus']Something really strange happened today. Both GT5 and Uncharted 2 appeared in my Gold Box today despite the fact that I've had them both pre-ordered from previous Gold Boxes. I checked my orders and they're both still listed. I was under the impression that this wasn't possible.[/QUOTE]
It does happen, but it's rare and usually only select games.

I keep getting crap, no games in Quick picks. Any remedy or do I just have to hold out a day or 2 for games to start showing. Its so annoying.

Bah, I also want to order Uncharted 2 now that the $5 deal was anounced, but my gold box just went to crap with a whole bunch of random junk. Fake preordered R&C and AC2, and I'm getting things like twilight and a toaster

I got Halo ODST in my quick picks a few days ago, added to my cart, but didn't order. Will I ever get it in there again?

[quote name='darknight88']I keep getting crap, no games in Quick picks. Any remedy or do I just have to hold out a day or 2 for games to start showing. Its so annoying.[/QUOTE]I need more information to give advice.

[quote name='Spoit']Bah, I also want to order Uncharted 2 now that the $5 deal was anounced, but my gold box just went to crap with a whole bunch of random junk. Fake preordered R&C and AC2, and I'm getting things like twilight and a toaster[/QUOTE]Try adding Demon's Souls: Deluxe Edition to that mix.

[quote name='Doomed']I got Halo ODST in my quick picks a few days ago, added to my cart, but didn't order. Will I ever get it in there again?[/QUOTE]It can appear again, but it's probably not worth the risk of missing out on the $15 back + $5 in MP3s + the exclusive DLC code. If you're hellbent on trying to get it, then make fake pre-orders for Halo Reach, Assassin's Creed 2, and MW2 for the 360. Make sure you remove ODST from your cart and rate the pre-orders 5-stars. GL!

Only got 4 things today. However, they're all games.

Magna Carta 2 (XBox 360)
Halo Reach
Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road (DS)
Phantasy Star Portable (PSP)

Anyone had any luck with Dragon Age CE or Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition?

Well I'm stumped with GoW:C. It refuses to show up and I'm plum out of ideas, so I'm going to let my picks sit and reboot. Pretty sure people are still reporting it as showing up, so I've ruled that out and I've personally already had it in my picks once (canceled it because it's no fun having nothing to work towards).

Dragon Age hasn't been spotted yet and Fallout has only shown up in my recommendations IIRC.

Having some difficulty on my end as well. Dante's Inferno and Agent (both PS3) just refuse to show up.

Odd because I did a pre-order for Assassin's Creed about a week ago, and have been refreshing my "Improve Your Recommendations" section almost daily by deleting items I said I own, waiting a bit, then telling Amazon I own them again, as well as telling them, in regards to Amazon purchases, to "Not Use for Recommendations" and then allowing their use for recommendations shortly afterward.

I did some fake pre-orders for GoW Collection, Ratchet and Clank: Crack in Time, Dead Rising 2, and Borderlands in hopes that they'll show up tomorrow.

Amazon also has been ninja adding recommendations like crazy this past week. This morning I got LittleBigPlanet GOTY edition and some Blu-ray added out of nowhere, and sure enough the only games in my Quick Picks were LBP GOTY Edition and, for some odd reason, Halo ODST.

I had both of those games in my recommendations Nirron. I didn't really want them, but after I pre-ordered like 10 games, I figured I'd let whatever is in there stay and just update here on what pops up in my quick picks. Even when I was getting a lot of games in there, neither agent or dante's inferno ever popped up.

[quote name='Jodou']Well I'm stumped with GoW:C. It refuses to show up and I'm plum out of ideas, so I'm going to let my picks sit and reboot. Pretty sure people are still reporting it as showing up, so I've ruled that out and I've personally already had it in my picks once (canceled it because it's no fun having nothing to work towards).

Dragon Age hasn't been spotted yet and Fallout has only shown up in my recommendations IIRC.[/QUOTE]

that's really weird that you keep having a hard time getting GOW:C because today is my second time getting it on my account and my sister already got it once on hers.

Maybe try focusing your efforts on rating/ordering/fake-preordering ps3 games only or mostly. That seems to be the reason for me getting a bunch of the most wanted ps3 games today on my quick picks!

It's odd, because I have another account I rarely use (goes back to a very strange technical glitch from my primary account) and Agent was in the Quick Picks there just two days ago, as I figured I'd at least try to use it to see if some stuff was available for Quick Picks.

It's in the back of my mind, but only as a very pessimistic and small voice, that something might be up with those two, as I had four games I wanted that were in my recommendations come up in my Quick Picks just two days ago. I know Agent was two days ago as well, but considering I've been doing everything I normally do, it's a bit of an oddity that they haven't popped up. Perhaps it was because I hadn't placed any faux pre-orders in a bit, in addition to one or two other things. Here's hoping I at least get one of them this week or, worst case, the next.

I'm thinking that the past two days may have been slightly hurt by the fact that Amazon has been adding 3-4 items in my Recommended For You section between the time I go to bed and the time I wake up. My Quick Picks the last few days have usually had 1-2 of these stealth-added games, cluttered with the usual items of which I don't care.

Edit: I just noticed that two of my items in there were Tales of Monkey Island: Screaming Narwhol, and Cake Mania. These were both free games at the time I bought them, yet now they show up in my Quick Picks. Strange indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']that's really weird that you keep having a hard time getting GOW:C because today is my second time getting it on my account and my sister already got it once on hers.

Maybe try focusing your efforts on rating/ordering/fake-preordering ps3 games only or mostly. That seems to be the reason for me getting a bunch of the most wanted ps3 games today on my quick picks![/QUOTE]
It's so odd! My bro even got it today and he wasn't trying. It's funny what you recommended, because the day before I had re-rated EVERYTHING that was on the 'fix this' list and pre-ordered R&C: ACIT, GoW III, AC II, Heavy Rain, and TLG. To me this was overkill but I had done less the day before, so this was a last ditch effort.

I know, I'm going to rate/own it and then remove it. Perhaps that will break whatever is holding it back.

The suspense for trying to get things in your quick picks is terrible. You want to grind it, but having to wait a day between refreshes is killer.

[quote name='Vortextk']The suspense for trying to get things in your quick picks is terrible. You want to grind it, but having to wait a day between refreshes is killer.[/QUOTE]

But on the flipside it's like Christmas morning when you wake up and run to check your computer to see what goodies Amazon left under the virtual Quick Pick tree! Of course then it's one of two outcomes: you got the awesome Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle, or you get depressed because you just got some huge bunny pajamas.

[quote name='vortextk']the suspense for trying to get things in your quick picks is terrible. You want to grind it, but having to wait a day between refreshes is killer.[/quote]

[quote name='nirron']but on the flipside it's like christmas morning when you wake up and run to check your computer to see what goodies amazon left under the virtual quick pick tree! Of course then it's one of two outcomes: You got the awesome official red ryder carbine-action two-hundred-shot range model air rifle, or you get depressed because you just got some huge bunny pajamas.[/quote]
qft.

[quote name='Jodou']It's so odd! My bro even got it today and he wasn't trying. It's funny what you recommended, because the day before I had re-rated EVERYTHING that was on the 'fix this' list and pre-ordered R&C: ACIT, GoW III, AC II, Heavy Rain, and TLG. To me this was overkill but I had done less the day before, so this was a last ditch effort.

I know, I'm going to rate/own it and then remove it. Perhaps that will break whatever is holding it back.[/QUOTE]

oh another hint,

try pre-ordering Resonance of Fate if you haven't. this game may or may not help you. GOW:C seems to have been recommended for my sis account because of this game and because of demon's souls.

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']oh another hint,

try pre-ordering Resonance of Fate if you haven't. this game may or may not help you. GOW:C seems to have been recommended for my sis account because of this game and because of demon's souls.[/QUOTE]
Didn't try Resonance of Fate, but Demon's Souls was also on that list of what I tried and I just forgot. I'll throw up a pre-order for RoF though!

After I preordered Halo 3 ODST yesterday, I got these:
Wii : New Super Mario Bros
X360 : Metal Gear Solid Rising

Hope for this trend of games to continue! Or maybe not, cause I need to save some money haha

[quote name='Vortextk']Damn, I just got a pink bunny suit. Quick picks aren't doing anything for me at all, how annoying.[/QUOTE]

Likewise for me. Only games in my recs when I last checked. Now shit in my QP. Like:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1G3HVDMMQK3R9ZFJM14K

http://www.amazon.com/Tidy-Breeze-L..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1G3HVDMMQK3R9ZFJM14Khttp://www.amazon.com/DPG54-2C-Perf..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1G3HVDMMQK3R9ZFJM14K

http://www.amazon.com/Kyjen-PP01056..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1G3HVDMMQK3R9ZFJM14K

Time to look and see what they hijacked my recs with last night.

Edit: Now that's odd, nothing new in my recommendations.

Ordered odst with the amazing price drop, that makes 2 games I'm buying to just probably flip them out....

Took off the ratings for EVERYTHING I had rated, then went back 5 star'd them again and did a fake pre-order on gowIII. Come on uncharted, you kept popping in there when I didn't even want you.

[quote name='Jodou']Amazon is playing hard to get with GoW:C, so I'm experimenting with multiple orders now. I already have GoW III, TLG, and Heavy Rain pre-ordered with the gold box discount so rather than cancel those to get one game, I'm ordering them again. This should go a long way towards proving whether or not quick picks are based on the most recent purchases or not.[/QUOTE]

GoW:C was in my Quick Picks three of the five days last week. I finally did jump on it.

Still trying to get Uncharted 2, NSMB, and Galaxy 2 in there. I'm getting almost all games these days, with a few cartoon DVD sets mixed in.

Resonance of Fate was the missing link, as GoW:C was cheerfully staring me in the face this morning. So I'm all quick-picked out again, since nothing else I want is eligible to show up. At least games start rolling out next month and should keep me busy well into next year. Now to wait and see what I'll need to cancel for Black Friday lol.

[quote name='Vortextk']Ordered odst with the amazing price drop, that makes 2 games I'm buying to just probably flip them out....[/QUOTE]
Oh wow, $50.99? Is the HALOODST coupon still active? Let's see:

$50.99-10-5-5.10-5.10=25.79?! Uh yeah, that's an easy flip of $15 profit.

Thanks for the tip!

I keep getting non-video games even though the only things I buy from amazon are video games and the only thing in my recommendations are video games. For ex. I keep getting game downloads because I downloaded Big Kahuna Reef awhile ago when it was free for $5 mp3 credit. And yesterday a push lawnmower was in my Quick Picks because I viewed the page of the Weed Eater Blower. I am also getting CD's because I used the amazon mp3 credit. It seems it wants to give me everything but 360 video games.. :/

Any good 360 games released or not, like my recommendations. I don't really need any games to show up in my Quick Picks, but my recommendations is only filled with 360 games but the only game that has shown up in it has been Meet the Robinsons. lol
I think I'm going to go through all my recommendations and weed out the games I don't really want and keep it to around 30 items.

[quote name='Jodou']Resonance of Fate was the missing link, as GoW:C was cheerfully staring me in the face this morning. So I'm all quick-picked out again, since nothing else I want is eligible to show up. At least games start rolling out next month and should keep me busy well into next year. Now to wait and see what I'll need to cancel for Black Friday lol.[/QUOTE]

Yay!! Congrats Jodou!!! :D

on a side note, I finally got uncharted 2 to show up!!!!! ^__^

Next goal: Demon's Souls!!

[quote name='rustyrage']Any good 360 games released or not, like my recommendations. I don't really need any games to show up in my Quick Picks, but my recommendations is only filled with 360 games but the only game that has shown up in it has been Meet the Robinsons. lol
I think I'm going to go through all my recommendations and weed out the games I don't really want and keep it to around 30 items.[/QUOTE]Woah, yeah. You definitely need to narrow that down to 5-10 max at first and try to get those. Then you can slowly work on grabbing other games once you get your top picks out of the way.

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']Next goal: Demon's Souls!![/QUOTE]Don't beat yourself up trying to get it, since it hasn't been eligible to show up for a while.

[quote name='Jodou']

Don't beat yourself up trying to get it, since it hasn't been eligible to show up for a while.[/QUOTE]

ah no wonder it hasn't popped up at all. It was weird how I kept getting so many other most wanted ps3 games but not Demon's Souls!

3rd day, and still no uncharted. Going to cancel and re-fake-pre-order. Does it matter if they're all in one or seperate orders?

[quote name='Spoit']Does it matter if they're all in one or seperate orders?[/QUOTE]

Good question. I only did like one fake pre-order of 3 games, and then I started getting games from my recommendations daily for the next week or two after that. But my purchase history was relatively small as this was my own account that I just created in like 06 or 07, and haven't used much till recently. How has everyone else done it?

[quote name='Spoit']re-fake-pre-order.[/QUOTE]

Lol call webster's, got a new word to add.

I've always done them separate. Mostly because I'd use that as a guideline of how many ECA codes I had left stored on the account and I'd add more as needed. The other reason being I don't want to get locked into a large order of games I have no interest in if anything goes wrong for whatever reason.

ok...well i hope this is some sort of temporary maintenance or something...but i have no recommendations list anymore. it says to come back later. i checked the "improve your recommendations" and it shows i have no amazon purchases, even though i can go to my order history which still has like 4 pre orders...

this is also on both my accounts, and i am logged in...hmm

bread's done
Back