Status
Not open for further replies.

gi60

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Amazon.com Trade-in Home Page

Welcome to the Official CAG Amazon.com Trade-In Thread

THANKS TO DISILLUSION386 FOR POSTING AND MAINTAINING THE ORIGINAL AMAZON TRADE-IN FAQ THREAD

This thread’s primary purpose is to discuss Amazon.com’s new video game trade-in program. The trade-in deal will be updated whenever one is available, and a list of flippable games will be in the second post. PLEASE READ THE TRADE-IN DEAL DETAILS AND FAQ BEFORE ASKING ANY QUESTIONS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Trade-in Deal
No New Promo Yet as of 10/19/09
Details:
Trade-In(s) of the Day

12/3 - PS3 - UFC 2009 - $ 30

Amazon.com Trading Info

Amazon.com Video Game Trade-In Store

Trade-In Procedure
1. Select Games: Games must be in good condition and your trade-in shipment valued at $10 or more
2. Ship Games FREE: Print a shipping label and packing slip, package your games, and ship them
3. Get a Gift Card: An Amazon.com Gift Card will be deposited into your account upon receipt of games

Shipping Instructions
1. Print this entire page. (Packing slip and shipping label once you have submitted a trade)
2. Cut out the shipping label and the packing slip.
3. Make sure your items are in good working condition and include the case and cover art.
4. Securely pack the items in a box or envelope and include the packing slip in the package.
5. Attach the shipping label squarely onto the outside of the package and add your return address.
6. Take it to your nearest UPS Store and mail it by (one week from submission of trade)
7. Or you can ship to:
NorAm International
22 Hampshire Drive
Hudson, NH 03051

Trade-In Product Eligibility
Trade-in items must match the exact version displayed in the Amazon Trade-In Store, not be damaged, include original packaging (e.g. the manual, cover art, and case), and be postmarked no later than 7 days after submission. You will receive an e-mail confirmation and an Amazon.com Gift Card will be deposited into your account within 2 business days of item receipt and verification by the merchant. Items not accepted by the merchant will be returned to you approximately 14 days after receipt.

FAQ (Updated 12/01/09)
Can I post question on this thread?
Only if you can't find the answer from below. :lol: And please let me know if it needs to be added to FAQ.

Since when did Amazon start doing trades?
The program began earlier this year and is handled by a third party merchant, NorAm International.

What kind of shipping does Amazon provide us?
Free UPS ground ---- USPS is no longer available

Do I have to provide my own box or envelope?
Yes.

Do all my games in the same trade-in submission have to be shipped in the same box?
Yes.

Can I send in sealed games?
Yes. They won't reject games that still have the original shrink wrap.

Can I add Delivery Confirmation and Insurance to my shipment?
For UPS Ground
It already provides you with tracking information.

I don't trust UPS ground. Can I pay for postage myself? What's the address?
Yes. You're more than welcome to do so. The address is:
NorAm International
22 Hampshire Dr
Hudson, NH 03051

When do I have to send my games once I have submitted my trade order?
You have 1 week to send your games.

Crap, I have one day to go before my shipment deadline, but the website states that my deadline has already passed. How do I print out a shipping label and packing slip?
Load up any existing order (if you don't have any, check your browser's history), and substitute the transaction ID for the trade-in order you need at the end of the URL.

How long does the whole trade-in process usually take?
From the time you send in your games, it may take up to 14 business days for the package to arrive. Most people usually receive their credit (Amazon GiftCard) in 3 to 5 business days, however.

When do I receive my coupon code for the current trade-in deal, if any?
The Terms of Service states 10 days after Amazon has accepted your games and added credit to your account, but it usually takes 2 to 3 days.

How long does the "processing" status usually take?
Usually with no delay, but the longest reported days so far is 4.

My games were received on Friday (based on Delivery Confirmation), will I have to wait until Monday to receive credit?
People have received credit on a Saturday.

Can I do two different trade-in submissions that add up to the requirements of the current trade-in deal, if any?
No. In order to qualify for any of the trade-in promos, they have to all be in one trade-in submission. You can't add another game later on to make the minimum. However, you can adjust the quantity of the submitted game to make the minimum.

I submitted my trade-in order online, how do I know if I qualified for the current trade-in deal, if any? Is there a confirmation page or e-mail?
No. They will automatically send you a coupon code once they have accepted your shipment of games and credited your account.

Is the trade-in deal coupon in addition to the credit I will receive for my games?
Yes.

Can I trade in DVDs to take advantage of the current trade-in deal?
You may trade in DVDs to add credit to your Amazon account, but they will not be added to the amount you need to qualify for the deal.

Can I take advantage of the current trade-in (if available) promo more than once?
These deals are “One per household” unless stated otherwise. However, you may use a different Amazon account. The credit for your games will be tied to the specific account used for the trade, but the coupon codes for the deals are not.
*However, some people has confirmed that they get multiple coupon by using 1 Amazon account after doing multiple submission.
NOTE: IF YOU SEND MORE THAN 1 SUBMISSION, THE MULTIPLE COUPONS MIGHT COME IN 1 EMAIL, THE CODE IS SEPERATING BY A COMMA.

If the coupon codes aren’t tied to my account, can I use more than one coupon on my next purchase?
No. Unless stated otherwise in the promo details, these coupons cannot be combined with other offers or promotions. IT DOES STACK WITH THE ECA DISCOUNT, HOWEVER.

I do not have the manual, cover art, or original case for a game I want to trade in. Will they accept it?
While the details specifically state that original packaging is necessary, people have reported in the past that their trades were accepted despite missing some of these. This is extremely YMMV, however since some were also rejected by missing manual or cover art. On the other hand, older gen games; such as SNES, N64, and GB cartridges, normally get accepted without the original box and manual, but still YMMV.
It's always better if you trade your non-complete game as an additional credit, not part of the minimum requirement to qualify for the promo.

My game is really beat up, what are the chances they’ll accept it?
This is YMMV. Some people have reported in the past that they sent in games in bad shape that were still accepted. Your best bet is still to trade in games in mint condition. Minor scratches are expected as these are used games.

My game is the Greatest Hits version, but the one pictured on the site isn’t. Can I still trade it in?
Unless the game in question has two separate versions that trade at different values, sending in a greatest hits version is okay.

I have a game from a limited edition bundle, will they accept it?
If the game’s cover art has a UPC barcode, they will most likely accept it. If your game's cover states "Not for Resale" and does not have a UPC barcode, the game will most likely get rejected. Some people have had their games accepted in the past, but this is YMMV.

The UPC barcode is not intact on my game's cover art, will that be accepted?
This is YMMV. Just try it, but make sure to have more than enough for the minimum requirement to qualify for the deal, if available.

So if they reject one of my games, am I disqualified from the current trade-in deal, if any?
Unfortunately yes. The best suggestion for trading in games is to trade in $10-$20 more than the minimum for the deal. By doing so, you will still qualify for the promo even if one or two games get rejected.

I sent in my games, all of which were in pristine condition with the original packaging, but they said that one game is damaged and is now being returned.
Always pack your games well. Put a lot of newspaper around your games in the box to secure them and to prevent any damages from haphazard box cutting. People in the past have requested their entire trade-in order if it’s obvious the damage wasn’t their fault, and Amazon ended up accepting the rejected game. This is YMMV as well.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
Yes. Once you click “Trade in” for a particular game, you may change the quantities.

How many multiple copies of the same game can I trade-in?
Maximum of 3 copies within 3 months period (This limit MAY also include prior "Cancelled Submissions - YMMV")

Will the Trade-in of the Day TIV stay for 24 hours?
It's been reported that there is a limit (maximum # of copies) that will get the promoted TIV so lock yours.

So if I find a good flip, I can just send 3 copies of that game and not worry about Amazon accusing me of stolen merchandise?
Technically yes, but do keep in mind that other CAGs might want to participate in the current deal, and trading in a large number of the same game will definitely lower the TIV of said game. Let’s be nice to other people.

Wow, these TIVs suck!
While that may be true, you will most likely save more money because of the trade-in deal coupon code.

What the fuck? The TIV of a game I just bought for this deal tanked! What do I do?
The TIVs on Amazon fluctuate depending on the number of trades that are submitted, and we really can’t do anything about it. The best course of action for trading in games is to lock in your trade if you already have the games or are absolutely sure that you can obtain them. You can always cancel the trade submission if you end up not finding the games.

LOCK = SUBMIT YOUR TRADE, Don't just put it in the cart.

So if I can edit a submitted trade, can I add other games that weren’t originally part of the submission?
No. Only quantities can be changed. Changing quantity to 0 means you're removing the game completely from the submission; which you can't add later.

If I change the quantity of a certain game I have already submitted for a trade, will I keep the same TIV?
No, It will change to current TIV for all games in that same submission.

Can I use the trade-in deal coupon on preorders?
Yes.

What happen to the Coupon code if I cancel the preorder?
The coupon code will stay with your account. It will be applied automatically at check-out as long as the coupon is not expired.

Trade-in coupon Usage:
1st Promo - $ 50 / $75 Coupon (Exp: 8/31) - Game Console Only
2nd Promo - 50 % Coupon (Exp: 8/31) - Game and Accessories
3rd Promo - $ 30 Coupon (Exp: 12/31) - Game Console, Game and Accessories
4th Promo - $ 30 Coupon (Exp: 12/31) - Game Console Only

Can I use the trade-in deal coupon when shopping from other merchants on Amazon?
No. ONLY ITEMS SOLD BY AMAZON.COM QUALIFY FOR PURCHASE WITH THE TRADE-IN COUPON. Even Amazon's other sites (Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.jp, etc.) do not participate in these trade-in deals.

Can I use my credit (not the trade-in deal coupon) on items that are not video game-related?

Yes. This is the other perk for trading in games at Amazon since you're not limited to just video games.

Can I use my credit on items sold by third-party merchants on Amazon?
According to the fine print of the Amazon gift card use, some merchants are excluded. Your best bet is to try it on the checkout page of your order.

Last edited by a moderator:
still waiting for $30 promo code after having a trade accepted this past Thursday, submitted/postmarked 8/31....

Im sure its probably just too soon for it and it will arrive Monday lol.

Yeah, I think I ran into the sane problem with canceled tradeins counting toward the limit, in my case with World Series of Poker. I was only able to trade in two even though the limit is 3 and I've never traded any if them in before. Completely sucktastic, but hopefully that's just a mistake they'll fix.

FYI, I found that Gamestop does take back games you've peeled the GS labels off of, no problem, so I'm not stuck with the World Series of Pokers. Still ticked that Amazon changed their rules without telling us. I've never had a problem with GS. I have three more copies to return to two other GS's

[quote name='Estebon']Looks like amazon wants to get out of the trade in business. oh well.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's pretty obvious they've been burned by the trade-in deals and all the complaints when NorAm refused perfectly good games. It's probably been a nightmare for them with the confusion of coupons as well, since people were constantly having to deal with CS trying to get them applied to accessories, games, etc. Stick a fork in it -- they're done.

On a side note, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS3) went up $2 today, so those looking to trade before the Sith edition hits; now is the time. It's only hit this high point once before (9/1) and that lasted 48 hours.

[quote name='confoosious']This isn't in the FAQ:

Can you combine shipments of two orders into one shipment?

[/QUOTE]

yup. done it a few times already.

[quote name='io']Yes, it does - and I just said so a few posts before you asked this![/QUOTE]

Sorry Chief, I did not see your post, but I appreciate the response. It was nice to see everything stack when I put it on checkout haha. :)

i wouldn't be so quick to discard amazon trade-ins. Their promos have been great and we can still submit up to 3 per title. If the next promo is another 50% you will all come running back :lol: They definitely need time to work out the kinks and it looks like they're doing so.

You gotta admit we were certainly getting some lopsided deals. My latest trade of 6 Left4Dead games is way too good! Don't forget alot of the things some CAG'ers were doing was unbelievable to us at first (ex. trading in 10 of a game, updating quantities and still getting the original TIV, etc).

Maybe my mentality is wrong, but my theory is strike hard and fast when the iron is hot. If you wait you may end up losing out on the deal. I know it's backfired in some instances, but it often pays off too. You have no control over the total population, so they could end up ruining the deal for you, so if you can't beat them, join them.

[quote name='Japakneez']i wouldn't be so quick to discard amazon trade-ins. Their promos have been great and we can still submit up to 3 per title. If the next promo is another 50% you will all come running back :lol: They definitely need time to work out the kinks and it looks like they're doing so.

You gotta admit we were certainly getting some lopsided deals. My latest trade of 6 Left4Dead games is way too good! Don't forget alot of the things some CAG'ers were doing was unbelievable to us at first (ex. trading in 10 of a game, updating quantities and still getting the original TIV, etc).[/QUOTE]
Nobody said it couldn't resurrect, but for now it is most definitely dead.

If you change the quantity of a game to say 2, can you then change it back to what it was, 1, and still get the original value or are you screwed once you change?

I doubt the not being able to submit games after they were already in a canceled submission is a bug, it's probably another way for them to stop multiples of a title.

J7 - I think any editing of the trade in any way now resets the values to their current prices, though I'm not sure anyone has verified that for every case (ie, simply deleting one thing, adjusting 1 thing from 2 to 1, etc).

Well, the deal may be "dead" for us, but they are definitely pushing forward with the program. I've gotten a few emails in the last couple of days suggesting that I trade in titles I have previously purchased at Amazon. Given that this takes some coordination between NorAm and Amazon, or at least Amazon themselves taking the initiative in promoting the trade-in program, then I think they intend to continue with this for the time being.

That reminds me - finally, today, I need to go get that One Piece sitting at my closest GS. I keep forgetting to stop there ;).

And FWIW, I'm still waiting on one more $30 code for a submission accepted last Weds or Thurs. I'm guessing we won't get anything until the holiday is over (so maybe Tues AM).

Sorry guys I was busy most of the day so I didn't get to post this. I will explain my experiment in detail.

Yesterday, upon reading about the changes I locked in the following transaction:

1 conduit wii (I forget the TIV but it isn't relevant for this experiment)

3 Grand Slam tennis @ 30 for 90 total

1 Batman 360 @ 37.50.

Today, I did the following: First I changed the number of conduits to "0" this did not change the value of Grand slam tennis in any way. Obviously I wanted to see if changing another game in the transaction would impact the deal of the day TIV. Once I confirmed that it didn't, I moved on to changing the deal of the day quantity.

I decreased the number of Grand slam tennis from 3 to 2. The TIV remained 30 and gave me 60 for the 2 remaining GST's. I hope this helps. I think it will!

[quote name='Owlman']can i transfer the amazon gift card from the trade ins to my bank account or is it just credit?[/QUOTE]

It's exactly like Gamestop: credit is applied to a gift certificate.

[quote name='enufs8d']i got the god of war blu ray collection for $35 goldbox (before eca). is this a worthy use of a $30?[/QUOTE]

hell yeah, if you didn't get a chance to play them. My ps2 broke before the games got cheapish and I always wanted to play them.

$20 a piece for 2 complete games, upgraded ones at that.

[quote name='enufs8d']i got the god of war blu ray collection for $35 goldbox (before eca). is this a worthy use of a $30?[/QUOTE]

I had it in mine yesterday and ordered it. I've never played GoW 2, so I'm all over it.

[quote name='bgame2']Sorry guys I was busy most of the day so I didn't get to post this. I will explain my experiment in detail.

Yesterday, upon reading about the changes I locked in the following transaction:

1 conduit wii (I forget the TIV but it isn't relevant for this experiment)

3 Grand Slam tennis @ 30 for 90 total

1 Batman 360 @ 37.50.

Today, I did the following: First I changed the number of conduits to "0" this did not change the value of Grand slam tennis in any way. Obviously I wanted to see if changing another game in the transaction would impact the deal of the day TIV. Once I confirmed that it didn't, I moved on to changing the deal of the day quantity.

I decreased the number of Grand slam tennis from 3 to 2. The TIV remained 30 and gave me 60 for the 2 remaining GST's. I hope this helps. I think it will![/QUOTE]

So it sounds like the prices don't change unless you increase the quantity of one of them? We need a further test to check that out (and see if it effects the other ones).

I actually did manage to find a One Piece so I'll be sending that in along with another game. Since I don't need to change anything I'm not going to mess with that trade just in case.

Edit: hold the phone! Maybe I shouldn't be so hasty to send this one in:

http://cgi.ebay.com/One-Piece-Unlim...ames?hash=item3a5280ba9f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

[quote name='io']So it sounds like the prices don't change unless you increase the quantity of one of them? We need a further test to check that out (and see if it effects the other ones).

I actually did manage to find a One Piece so I'll be sending that in along with another game. Since I don't need to change anything I'm not going to mess with that trade just in case.

Edit: hold the phone! Maybe I shouldn't be so hasty to send this one in:

http://cgi.ebay.com/One-Piece-Unlim...ames?hash=item3a5280ba9f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14[/QUOTE]

ahh I remember fliping 10-15 copies of that to Blockbuster, ahh the good ole days

Today's trade-in of the day is a decent flip if you can find it: Wii Smarty Pants $25

It sells for $19.99 used or new at Gamestop. It looks like this one was one of the select pick used games at gamestop.com that was guaranteed to include box and manual, but currently it isn't available online. Local availability is sketchy, it seems, but there are several semi-local places to me that show as having it. ebay prices aren't any better then this trade-in value, after fees.

17.99+tax -> 25.00
19.07 -> 25.00 including 6% sales tax.

If I could find 3 of these that would be worth it and there are 3 locations I can visit that show as having it. The problem being that I can't get there tonight most likely, so what to do? Put in for 3 copies and burn my trade-in limit on the game? Probably it's not going to get any higher in value, though, so maybe it's worth it?

Snake go to the video games section/department, then look for Trade-In on the left hand side of the page. Click on that and the Trade in deal of the day will be on the top right corner of the page.

[quote name='bgame2']Snake go to the video games section/department, then look for Trade-In on the left hand side of the page. Click on that and the Trade in deal of the day will be on the top right corner of the page.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for answering. I was looking right at it...

Its appreciated.

[quote name='crunchewy']Today's trade-in of the day is a decent flip if you can find it: Wii Smarty Pants $25

It sells for $19.99 used or new at Gamestop. It looks like this one was one of the select pick used games at gamestop.com that was guaranteed to include box and manual, but currently it isn't available online. Local availability is sketchy, it seems, but there are several semi-local places to me that show as having it. ebay prices aren't any better then this trade-in value, after fees.

17.99+tax -> 25.00
19.07 -> 25.00 including 6% sales tax.

If I could find 3 of these that would be worth it and there are 3 locations I can visit that show as having it. The problem being that I can't get there tonight most likely, so what to do? Put in for 3 copies and burn my trade-in limit on the game? Probably it's not going to get any higher in value, though, so maybe it's worth it?[/QUOTE]
I see 2 new in my area but its simply not worth it without a promo and less than $5 profit.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Two of my trade-ins arrived in NJ over a week ago and I still haven't received credit. Should I be concerned?[/QUOTE]

I would be, considering they're supposed to go to MA.

If thats a mistake and you meant MA, I'd definitely drop them a email about it. I've never had a trade take longer than 24 hours from its arrival to credit.

Sorry for not updating 1st post. Just got back from vacation.

So there are some big changes from what I reading here.

If I have multiple trade-in orders, should I send them all separately or can I lump them together? Had to keep adding new small orders during b1g1 at bbv.

Just a heads up, Fry's sells that smarty pants game for like 1.68 or something. Seems to be out of stock at most Fry's but check your local one, you may get lucky!

Looks like there is a new Amazon problem: They will eventually stop the deal of the day"

Trade-In of the Day

We've accepted all the trades we currently need of this title. Check back for tomorrow's trade-in of the day.

[quote name='Estebon']Looks like there is a new Amazon problem: They will eventually stop the deal of the day"

Trade-In of the Day

We've accepted all the trades we currently need of this title. Check back for tomorrow's trade-in of the day.[/QUOTE]

Oh dayam. What's next? No quantity modifications? I'm a bit surprised they haven't closed that loophole yet.

[quote name='Estebon']Looks like there is a new Amazon problem: They will eventually stop the deal of the day"

Trade-In of the Day

We've accepted all the trades we currently need of this title. Check back for tomorrow's trade-in of the day.[/QUOTE]

This thing is going downhill FAST.

[quote name='bgame2']This thing is going downhill FAST.[/QUOTE]
Someone's business model wasn't ready for primetime...

[quote name='bgame2']This thing is going downhill FAST.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like they're closing loophole and using a common supply demand model. The deal of the day generated more traded in copies then they needed to they stopped the deal. Pretty simple stuff.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Two of my trade-ins arrived in NJ over a week ago and I still haven't received credit. Should I be concerned?[/QUOTE]

Well, assuming as the other guy said you meant MA, then, yeah, you should check on that (call or email).

[quote name='crunchewy']Today's trade-in of the day is a decent flip if you can find it: Wii Smarty Pants $25[/QUOTE]

Seems more available than One Piece was anyway.

[quote name='mazinga z']Just a heads up, Fry's sells that smarty pants game for like 1.68 or something. Seems to be out of stock at most Fry's but check your local one, you may get lucky![/QUOTE]

Nice, but...

Trade-In of the Day

Bloody hell! I didn't lock this in last night because I wanted to get the extra day to mail it since when I lock in the next afternoon I get an extra day usually. Well, that was a mistake. Oh well, it isn't a huge deal as I was kind of lukewarm on it anyway. I might have found 1 or 2 at some not so close GS stores.

Anyway, now I know to lock them in ASAP when they first appear.

But man, this deal keeps getting worse and worse by the day. What's next? :rofl:

[quote name='ikaden']It sounds like they're closing loophole and using a common supply demand model. The deal of the day generated more traded in copies then they needed to they stopped the deal. Pretty simple stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I took plenty of economics classes in my day too. By "This thing" I referring to the appeal of their Trade-in program. The more 'loopholes' they close, the less appealing their Trade in program becomes.

Don't forget that they may be over estimating the mass appeal their program had. They may not be attributing the response it received initially to the promos they ran or the ability to edit orders. Clearly they can't operate at a loss long term, but tempering the number of incentives they cut at one time might have been a smarter business move.

Exactly, these restictions coupled with no bonus promo is a mistake IMO. If they come back with some awesome new promo then that's cool, but it doesn't appear promising.

Not to mention they are sure to get way less actually sent in than trade-ins submitted so I wonder if and how they have taken that into account. If it was based off the last few months of trade-ins it's hard to say how those metrics stand up with the changes in the trade-in program.

In other news, should I be worried that they haven't yet shipped my Beatles Rock Band SE for so-called release date delivery? If they don't get it here tomorrow Amazon will be 0-for-2 on this release date business.

[quote name='io']In other news, should I be worried that they haven't yet shipped my Beatles Rock Band SE for so-called release date delivery? If they don't get it here tomorrow Amazon will be 0-for-2 on this release date business.[/QUOTE]

My Batman didn't show up as shipped until after 5pm for release day and I got it on release day. I'd be a little worried, but still calling.

Trade-In of the Day

I think Slickdeals hit this ToTD pretty hard... T
This morning someone made a post titled "Get $25.00 Amazon Gift Card for $1.68 + tax if you have a Fry's Electronics around you!! (Today Only) "

It has ~38,500 views :whistle2:#

Here's the post from SD: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=1546615

Those bastards... Well, had I known about the Fry's thing last night I would have locked in for sure. I am actually going to Fry's later. The thing is, I was there the other day and would have bought that game on principal if I had seen it for $1.68. I don't think they have any. When I try to add it to the cart for store pickup it just does nothing and says it is unavailable (this works for other games that are unavailable online but available for store pickup though). So I won't know for sure until I call or just go there. I'm guessing a lot of people are locking that in but NorAm won't end up with that many copies when it is all said and done. The good news is if you do find one for $1.68 it is probably a decent eBay sale if you are into that sort of thing - after all, that's what NorAm intends to do with it anyway ;).

Just got the shipment notice for Beatles Rock Band SE. The email came at 5:04 PM Pacific ;).

We'll see how it goes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back