Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

[quote name='KingBroly']He needs around 10,000 more followers in the next week to make it 25x XP. At the rate he's been going, IF word of mouth increases rapidly, it could happen[/QUOTE]IGN has posted a story on it now. I bet he ends up capping how high the bonus goes. Otherwise it could get really ridiculous.

[quote name='lordopus99']If this gets up there, I might actually decide to go for level 100 (left off around 53).[/QUOTE]Shoot, if it gets up around 25x I will go for 100 and I left off at level 25.

[quote name='intoxicated662']well, i'm glad they are doing an event like this for that makes up for the shitty gameplay lag, host advantage and what not. It'll make people not quit out of games now (hopefully) and I can finally reach that lvl 100 and put the game aside. It is remarkable as how many people are following him so quickly now. When would the XP event start and end by the way?[/QUOTE]It's during the SDCC which I think is next weekend from the 22nd to the 26th.

If there's gonna be 20x XP boost, I might have to get on this. I don't have the All Fronts though. Would I still be able to get in some boost matches with anyone?

[quote name='nnthomas']If there's gonna be 20x XP boost, I might have to get on this. I don't have the All Fronts though. Would I still be able to get in some boost matches with anyone?[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can play MP now unless you have all the maps.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']I don't think you can play MP now unless you have all the maps.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's true. It wouldn't make sense to do that unless they offered all the expansion maps for free. I'm pretty certain you can play, you'll just be locked out to the maps that you don't own.

No you have to have all fronts maps to play social, but you can still play ranked matches without all fronts map pack.

I followed him even though im already at 100.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I wonder if he'll be capping it. It's already pretty ridiculous. 25x would be sweet though![/QUOTE]

Bummer...he capped it:

[quote name='GearsViking']Ok, so I think we'll cap this at 10,000 followers and 20x XP...I'll have more later. Amazing![/QUOTE]

EDIT: Whoops...I see someone posted a few posts above me...my bad.

He capped it @ 20xp and you're still complaining? Wow some people are so ungrateful I swear. Honestly, what other game has even done more than 2xp? Cod is the only game I can recall that did 2xp and that's only for when map packs are released and rarely on holidays. I'll take 20xp for gow2 any day over anything else, especially knowning that i'm @ lvl 82 and can (hopefully) reach level 100 and retire the game with the 20xp event.

just to clarify... you don't need the All Fronts Collection to play this game online. I play off and on ranked execution and my brother plays nonstop without the map packs, and I played during the 8x event and got tons xp, so you should be fine playing for this xp.

You only need the map packs to play the new SOCIAL matches, which is where most of the boosting matches take place now. Social allows the same 10 players to continue playing against each other without going back to the match-making screen. Without the maps, you can still play normal ranked matches, but it'll be harder to get a pure boosting session going.

[quote name='intoxicated662']He capped it @ 20xp and you're still complaining? Wow some people are so ungrateful I swear. Honestly, what other game has even done more than 2xp? Cod is the only game I can recall that did 2xp and that's only for when map packs are released and rarely on holidays. I'll take 20xp for gow2 any day over anything else, especially knowning that i'm @ lvl 82 and can (hopefully) reach level 100 and retire the game with the 20xp event.[/QUOTE]

All I said was "bummer". 20xp is awesome...more would have been even better of course.

[quote name='DJP519']You only need the map packs to play the new SOCIAL matches, which is where most of the boosting matches take place now. Social allows the same 10 players to continue playing against each other without going back to the match-making screen. Without the maps, you can still play normal ranked matches, but it'll be harder to get a pure boosting session going.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry I gave out the wrong info before, but I have never played a ranked match after they added the social option so I figured you needed all the maps for all MP modes since that is how it was for social. Guess that shows how much I have avoided the competitive MP in this game. :lol:

Level 100 via horde and KotH boosting! that had to be the intention of implementing the rank and xp system, correct? Oh well the number of people in the same boat is only going to increase with the 20x xp.

Now if they would only carry the new title updates and 20x xp boost into the Japanese version of the game that would be awesome. :bouncy:

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Thanks for clarifying. Sorry I gave out the wrong info before, but I have never played a ranked match after they added the social option so I figured you needed all the maps for all MP modes since that is how it was for social. Guess that shows how much I have avoided the competitive MP in this game. :lol:

Level 100 via horde and KotH boosting! that had to be the intention of implementing the rank and xp system, correct? Oh well the number of people in the same boat is only going to increase with the 20x xp.

Now if they would only carry the new title updates and 20x xp boost into the Japanese version of the game that would be awesome. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Don't you play against the same pool of players?

Well went through all the waves of Memorial and No Where, now I just need to get to level 40 and 50 to get those achievements and onward to 100 for Veteran Gear. Though even still I need good portion of those map pack cheezmints.

I still need a lot of Horde achievements, but definitely count me in for KOTH boosting. I went from 30-51 in 3 games last time, then couldn't find any more boosting sessions. I just want to get this done.

[quote name='intoxicated662']"So 20x XP SDCC Event is going to run exactly SDCC hours - July 22nd, 12:30 PM EDT till July 25th, 8 PM EDT. Get your wings!"[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I should be jealous of 20XP if I'm going to Comic Con all 5 (preview day included) days.

[quote name='KingBroly']Don't you play against the same pool of players?[/QUOTE]

No the japanese version is a different game on your card and a different matchmaking set. I think they have only updated to TU 2 or something like that. whichever was the one that added horde xp and the level system.

wow 20xp (10 times current) is fucking crazy. I shouldn't have wasted time the last two events going from 68-94.
I hope to finish up campaign on insane with a friend and get all items before finishing MP.
I still need 2 horde maps and the blood mount achievements then I'll be going for 100 and seriously. after that maybe on to gears 1!

If anyone still needs to do the campaign on insane difficulty, send me a message here on CAG, also down for any hoard as well. Got the entire all fronts collection of maps so I'm good to go.

I'll be busy the 22nd unfortunately, but I am game to party up the rest of the weekend. I have not played in awhile and am only a level 36. Is it possible for me to get to 100 during the 20xp weekend? At the very least it'll be nice to easily get to level 50.

I'll be going on a trip Sunday morning and work all day Friday/Saturday, looks like I can trade some sleep to grind to 100. I think I'm currently at 79 or around there.

[quote name='BackInBlack']I'll be busy the 22nd unfortunately, but I am game to party up the rest of the weekend. I have not played in awhile and am only a level 36. Is it possible for me to get to 100 during the 20xp weekend? At the very least it'll be nice to easily get to level 50.[/QUOTE]

Yea people were getting 180,000xp per 45 minute KotH session during 8x xp so you are looking at 450,000 in one game in this new event. You need around 700,000 to get to level 50 so it will only take you 1 or 2 games from your current level.

It is 6.8 million total to get to 100 so only 15-16 games total so get it done this weekend then grind some brumak rodeo for 20 hours to knock out seriously 2.0! ;)

[quote name='BackInBlack']Wow.[/QUOTE]

I've mentioned it before, but I went from 30-49 in one 45 minute long KOTH boosting session when there was 8x XP. But we're going to need the 20x XP after that, anyway. My next (and final) 45 minute session only moved me from 49-51.

[quote name='The 7th Number']After this event, wings wont mean shit. Too bad i logged in all those hours, just to see people get their wings easy as pie. LOL[/QUOTE]

True, but you have the date you got the achievement to prove that and you're going to be much better than most of the new 100's.

gotta jump on this bandwagon. got maybe 2 to 3 hrs each day on Thurs and Fri.

[need to reread KingB's boosting technique on KoTH, oh sorry, maybe that was GlockGlock on page 199?]

will there be an unlock in Gears 3 associated with a level 100 though?

Last edited by a moderator:
info for those into the Gears Universe; and until Gears 3 comes around next April.

Gears of War: Anvil Gate by Karen Traviss, street date Aug. 31, 2010. 3rd book in the series.
Gears of War: Vol 2 by Joshua Ortega, street date Feb. 22, 2011. 2nd graphic novel collection.

awe, yeah!

assuming I get all of campaign achievements done, I can help people with MP. I still need Allfathers and Memorial (we can just go until and achievement unlocks and everyone dies since 20xp is good). then I can either startup a ranked or social party if anyone wants. I rather not do that koth boosting shit since I'm 95 and actually decent lol (wasted enough time with that and I'll just fuck it up if I ever see it). keep n mind my connection is meh but since TU6, I haven't lagged much at all.

so I'm making lists for signups. post CAG/gt and I'll set a date. probably won't be starting until Friday

Allfathers 1-30+ (I need 20-30 and that'll take at least 3 hours for me to solo on casual)

Memorial 1-20+ (it's not really a good solo map -_-)

MP social/ranked/modes (indicate what you want/need/prefer)
any amount of people until the event is done.

I want to do Horde, but my preference is boosting KOTH as much as possible. We should probably set up groups for that. I'm good for the evening.

i'm in for 20xp boosting and horde if anyone needs someone. i'm available for the whole time this event is going on so PM me your gt and i'll add you. i'm @ lvl 83 and wanna get my lvl 100 already.

bread's done
Back