Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

Haven't played Submission, always gets skipped. I have experienced some laggy games though. Those are horrible to experience. Played a few games of Execution/Warzone last night and the general consensus is that the chainsaw is overpowering. It's easy to spray and chainsaw than it is to melee and shotgun. You know how the Lancer can slow down a guy running towards you? Well, you can't do that with a shotgun when a Lancer is running towards you so it's much easier to get the kill via Lancer. Iunno, I think it's slightly borked, but not enough where people abuse it. I miss the old shotgun. It sounds heavier but it's weaker. =p

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I don't mind not having a time limit, because having something such as a stalemate pop up after 10 minutes would disrupt the flow of the match and would mean both teams have to start all over again from scratch. Also, the only thing ridiculous about the MeatFlag guy (Chaps, Hanley, Francis, etc.) is his range with the shotty and how he seemingly only shoots me and my team - the damage he dishes out/can take is fine.[/QUOTE]

Well the problem is you can run into a team of assholes who don't try to capture the meatflag and just focus on killing your team over and over and not letting the match end or drawing it out a long time.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well the problem is you can run into a team of assholes who don't try to capture the meatflag and just focus on killing your team over and over and not letting the match end or drawing it out a long time.[/quote]

Bingo. We had some douchebags doing that last night and it made me want to throw my Xbox through the TV.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well the problem is you can run into a team of assholes who don't try to capture the meatflag and just focus on killing your team over and over and not letting the match end or drawing it out a long time.[/quote]The only problem with match length that I've run into is playing against foreigners. They aren't better than my team (so they can't score), but so much bullshit goes their way because they have host that it stops us from scoring, too. We literally had an hour-long Submission match on Blood Drive before because of this very reason, IIRC.

Anyone else think Subway isnt balanced due to the weapon swapping every round? 1 team starts with the torque every round and the other has the mini turret/sniper. Dont know of any other map like that yet, but its kinda weak when the other team just gets a free torque and your stuck with weaker weapons.

[quote name='seanr1221']Not quite sure I understand the complaints about matchmakng times. 15 minutes? Longest I've waited is about 2 minutes.[/quote]

I tried it today, and it took forever for the first time. I hope it isn't always like that. I'm going to play some now. Whoever wants to can add me... If anyone cares. I also forgot to mention I beat the campaign today I thought it was great.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']That'd be cool if you could, like if people dropped out.[/quote]

Have you played with bots? It would be stupid if they did that. The bots aren't smart, they just hit really hard.

I don't own the game yet since my real 360 is en route to Microsoft, so I can't make an excuse or anything :D. I'm sure there is a difficulty setting though for bots when playing in private match right? Or are the bots still brainless even on Insane level or whatever? I was just saying that instead of like people dropping out and no one to take their place, a bot could take their place. That way the game wouldn't be unevened if it was like 4v2.

I'm not sure if someone can join when the game is already in-progress so that's why I made the comment.

A match with bots on any map where the environment can kill you is comedy. Watching them just step in front of the train on tyro station, dive into lazers on security, take cover while the snow etc.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']I don't own the game yet since my real 360 is en route to Microsoft, so I can't make an excuse or anything :D. I'm sure there is a difficulty setting though for bots when playing in private match right? Or are the bots still brainless even on Insane level or whatever? I was just saying that instead of like people dropping out and no one to take their place, a bot could take their place. That way the game wouldn't be unevened if it was like 4v2.

I'm not sure if someone can join when the game is already in-progress so that's why I made the comment.[/quote]

They're just as dumb on insane, they just hit super hard. People can't join mid match, and neither do bots.

I wouldn't want to join a game where my team is already down by so many rounds because other people quit. That would suck even more.

[quote name='Trakan']They're just as dumb on insane, they just hit super hard. People can't join mid match, and neither do bots.

I wouldn't want to join a game where my team is already down by so many rounds because other people quit. That would suck even more.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it would really only work if you stayed with the same people and not just get sent back in the lobby after the match.

i.e. like in CoD 4. I don't mind getting stuck on the losing team. I'm just happy to get matched up quickly and to be in a full lobby after the match and get in the next game right away.

[quote name='seanr1221']Not quite sure I understand the complaints about matchmakng times. 15 minutes? Longest I've waited is about 2 minutes.[/quote]

15 min here... don't know what's up since all my ports are open... >_<

I even had it connected to a T1 connection on friday and still long waits.

I got a problem in the game, but I'll have to put it in spoiler terms.

I'm stuck in the boss battle against the fish, what am I to do when I get stuck in his mouth?

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, it would really only work if you stayed with the same people and not just get sent back in the lobby after the match.

i.e. like in CoD 4. I don't mind getting stuck on the losing team. I'm just happy to get matched up quickly and to be in a full lobby after the match and get in the next game right away.[/quote]

I hate getting stuck on the losing team.

The only games that have the setups that you are referring to are ones that don't require a level/rank that's based on winning/losing. COD games are set up that way because everything you do in the game is worth points, and those points go towards your military rank. It's not really a definition of the player's skill. In Gears and Halo, if you win, it affects your rank, and you play different people each time. The system is supposed to set you up with players of equal skill, but that doesn't always happen.

[quote name='OzCatter']I got a problem in the game, but I'll have to put it in spoiler terms.

I'm stuck in the boss battle against the fish, what am I to do when I get stuck in his mouth?
[/quote]

Get into his mouth, shoot the tentacles. Another mouth will come out. Throw frags into the mouth. You have to do this 3 times on Hardcore.

[quote name='OzCatter']I got a problem in the game, but I'll have to put it in spoiler terms.

[/QUOTE]

Shoot 3 of the wiggly tentacle things. One will turn blue. Shoot that one. Another will turn. Repeat. After shooting 3, a thing in the middle of its mouth will open. Toss a grenade in there. Do that 3 times, and you kill it.

I need to do waves 38-50 of Horde to finish. Would anyone like to play at 10 Pacific? 2 hours from now.

[quote name='homeland']anyone up for starting co-op on insane?[/quote]

Hey if you haven't started yet, I'll join you. I haven't touched the campaign yet and I'd like to tackle it on co-op insane.

edit: Actually since difficulty level is individual, I'll play co-op with anyone that wants to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dastly75']Hey if you haven't started yet, I'll join you. I haven't touched the campaign yet and I'd like to tackle it on co-op insane.[/quote]

Dont you have to beat the game first to get insane? Or does it not matter if its coop..?

[quote name='dastly75']Hey if you haven't started yet, I'll join you. I haven't touched the campaign yet and I'd like to tackle it on co-op insane.

edit: Actually since difficulty level is individual, I'll play co-op with anyone that wants to play.[/quote]

You have to beat the game once to unlock insane.

[quote name='Trakan']You have to beat the game once to unlock insane.[/quote]

Really? Was it like that on the first gears? I don't recall playing it on anything less than insane...

either way I'll be on Live.

Got some more time in on my solo campaign. Got a bit further than I did in my co-op marathon Friday night. Saved after beating the Leviathon. Hopefully can get a bit of time in tomorrow evening, but after that I'm out of town until Saturday night for a conference. :(

fuckin' piece of shit university connection. I can barely play online unless I'm connecting to a friend back home (45 min away), and even that's only on Friday/Saturday nights when everyone is too drunk to be using up the bandwidth.

(Listening to the soundtrack right now. Gears music gets me so pumped).

The War Journal is a neat feature. I dig the interface. It is organized and rather neat. Navigation could not be easier. Kudos to Epic for realizing that little things matter.

I still haven't even put the disc in the 360 yet. I picked up the CE. I'm just not motivated enough, and will be even less so with Mirror's Edge and COD5 this week and Left 4 Dead next week.

I figure this is as good a place as any to mention that some of the actors for the 2010 Gears movie have been cast. Apparently this is up on IMDb, but I can't see it because I don't have IMDb Pro. Anybody with Pro care to double-check?

Gears_of_War-Domb.png

Gears_of_War-Bairdb.png

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']fuckin' piece of shit university connection. I can barely play online unless I'm connecting to a friend back home (45 min away), and even that's only on Friday/Saturday nights when everyone is too drunk to be using up the bandwidth.

(Listening to the soundtrack right now. Gears music gets me so pumped).[/QUOTE]

I hope that Gears soundtrack has the Cole Train song on it. :p

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']
Gears_of_War-Domb.png

[/quote]
It's the asshole that tossed Amanda into the used syringe pit in Saw II! Sorry, just had to because I looooove that Shawnee Smith.

Let's see...I think I need 30-44 on Horde. I'm still trying to finish up Hardcore with someone. Once I do that I want to try it on Insane. A couple of tough spots I think will be...
Act 1, Chapter 2 and Act 5, Chapter 1
. Beyond that it shouldn't be too difficult.

[quote name='mang9432']horde mode = win[/quote]

definitely.. Finally found the missing level (19) so I can officially say I've beaten Horde. Horde is just endless fun. There's nothing like getting a Mauler Gun and just destroying anything that comes your way.

[quote name='KingBroly']Let's see...I think I need 30-44 on Horde. I'm still trying to finish up Hardcore with someone. Once I do that I want to try it on Insane. A couple of tough spots I think will be...
Act 1, Chapter 2 and Act 5, Chapter 1
. Beyond that it shouldn't be too difficult.[/quote]If you're just thinking of spots that gave you trouble from playing Hardcore difficulty or lower, then you're in for a world of hurt. The only spots that are a cakewalk are just the normal fighting spots (like
when you have the rockworm cover throughout the underground or right before you meet up with Cole, etc.
). Any part where you and your partner split up, boss fights, or anything else of that magnitude are a lot tougher/cheaper than any other difficulty.

[quote name='GuruuShah']What the hell is wrong with gears of war 2 rank system?[/quote]?

I just hit the 4th rank (out of 5, so I hear) last night on Wingman with Trakan :cool:. Hopefully they don't reset the leaderboards/rankings again anytime soon.

i will win alot of matches and never rank up and a lot of people are saying there is some problems withe rank system. anybody else here having problems?

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']If you're just thinking of spots that gave you trouble from playing Hardcore difficulty or lower, then you're in for a world of hurt. The only spots that are a cakewalk are just the normal fighting spots (like
when you have the rockworm cover throughout the underground or right before you meet up with Cole, etc.
). Any part where you and your partner split up, boss fights, or anything else of that magnitude are a lot tougher/cheaper than any other difficulty.[/quote]

I've never died on those parts in any of my playthroughs. I'm talking about
that fucking Reaver banging into you from the side :bomb: it was only until while playing on co-op that using the Turret was the only answer
and
The Reaver flight scene where I had to shoot at Skorge. I still don't know how to avoid his shots though.

The one thing I see though is that a lot of people playing this game do not know how to play this game. They just go out and shoot, not using cover at all.

[quote name='GuruuShah']i will win alot of matches and never rank up and a lot of people are saying there is some problems withe rank system. anybody else here having problems?[/quote]If you are playing a lot of the Player's Choice or Elimination playlists, try doing Wingman with a partner as it's the fastest way to rank up. If you think about it, normal matches grant XP based off defeating up to 5 other people, and splits it between your team (usually consisting of 5 people). Wingman matches grant you XP for beating 8 other people, and splits it between just you and your partner, so you are gaining XP much faster this way. However, it seems like Wingman is harder to place first in vs. the other playlists.

[quote name='KingBroly']I've never died on those parts in any of my playthroughs. I'm talking about
that fucking Reaver banging into you from the side :bomb: it was only until while playing on co-op that using the Turret was the only answer
and
The Reaver flight scene where I had to shoot at Skorge. I still don't know how to avoid his shots though.
[/quote]I wasn't saying you did or would die at that part, I'm just saying that parts where you split up, or face tougher enemies, or fight bosses, there's a lot less room for error - both players have to be on top of their game, not just one.
The part on the Derrick where you defend the mortars and fight off the Reaver to the left is a piece o' cake - you shouldn't have a problem there. Also, with the Reaver fight, you should be able to KO that in one try. Constantly shoot at Skorge's ride, and when it jumps in front just pound the fuck out of it. Unless you have a stinky partner, these 2 parts you mentioned shouldn't be hard.

[quote name='GuruuShah']i will win alot of matches and never rank up and a lot of people are saying there is some problems withe rank system. anybody else here having problems?[/quote]

I'm having the same problem. I've played close to a hundred matches and am still on the first rank.

[quote name='Scorch']I still haven't even put the disc in the 360 yet. I picked up the CE. I'm just not motivated enough, and will be even less so with Mirror's Edge and COD5 this week and Left 4 Dead next week.[/quote]

COD 5 is holding you back from playing this??? :lol:

I have been getting matched up vs people not from North America nearly every 2-4 games it is insane. I dont think I have even lost a match on a good connection, it is frustrating to just not have a chance due to the host making it laggy for everybody.

[quote name='Mrcapcom']I just have act 5 to complete on insane hit me up GT MrCapcom if u wanna play later on tonite.[/quote]

Sent you a FR, I'm on Chapter 6 of Act 4 on Hardcore, but you'll be playing on Insane so you'll get the achievements and I'll unlock Insane after we finish.

bread's done
Back