Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

[quote name='Nealocus123']But what's up with Adam at the end? I wonder if the Locust tricked the humans into sinking their last stronghold and now their takeover will be simple. Or maybe he's the Locus King and is just pissed off. I can't wait for Gears 3![/QUOTE]

A popular theory is that it has to do with the lambent. That somehow by sinking Jacento it will give them the advantage or help them in the war in someway. This seems to be supported by the Aspho Fields novel , where near the end of the book the Locust Queen mentions that originally they didn't want to have to fight the humans and wanted the humans to help in the fight against "them" , but we weren't interested in helping "the invaders".

That's the basic idea of it at least. As far as Adam is concerned , following the idea that he is with and supporting the Locusts , by sinking Jacento , not only have the humans hurt themselves but hurt the Locusts in the fight against the lambent.

So, I want to get the co-op achievements, is anyone interested in running through the game on casual on Thursday? I'll finish the game on insane on my own, or we could do both, or I could just do insane. I just passed the part with the assault on Command HQ where you have to mortar the two Brumak's.

If anyone need to get past that let's be friends! I'm willing to back up a little, but I won't run through the entire game on insane again.

Just so you know, you can do those on your own offline. Do a local match and start it up, you'll get the achievements. Same goes for Snowblind maps.

Yeah I might, just thought it'd be easier with a partner or two. I would need to find a good place to camp for each map for rounds 7-10. Plus they will start to charge you if you're by yourself.

[quote name='freshzen']Does anybody want to do 10 waves of hoarde on the flashback maps?[/QUOTE]Yeah, noone ever wants to play some of the flashback maps in the regular cycle and I can't do the DL'ed pack cycle since I don't have the other DLs. Evenings from around 9 or so to 12 am are good for me.

I could possibly play. Im missing like 3 rounds, i think they are in subway level. Add me and if im online invite me. Ive been playing oblivion, but i can pop in gears 2 and play for 10 waves easy.

I've been getting into multiplayer quite a bit lately, it's just as fun as I remember the original being. However, it seems that a good amount of players are ridiculously bad / stupid because they will run right by me (in pursuit of my teammate) and I'll just follow them and chainsaw them when they stop.

I don't know if chainsawing is considered a noob thing to do, and as a matter a fact I don't care, because I have gone in for the kill plenty of times and have had some talented players evade and counter it like nothing.

As we creep ever closer to launch, we have an
signature_deepthakur.jpg
:)

$20 for everything is still a really good deal. But I think I'll wait until someone sells cheap point cards to get it.

Guys, add me to your friends list. I'm down for horde, multiplayer, co-op. Any and all. I have 0 Xbox friends :). I'll blame it on having just purchased the system...yeah.

Gears of War 2 Title Update 4 Detailed Release Notes

Title Update 4 has not yet passed certification and so I am unable to give you a specific date for it's release, but I wanted to get you the information. The following fixes and improvements are included in the upcoming Title Update 4.

Improvements

Title Update 4 makes these new improvements:
• Adds the ability to collect multiplayer experience by playing Horde mode. Players currently gain experience at this rate:
o 50 points per completed Casual wave.
o 75 points per completed Normal wave.
o 100 points per completed Hardcore wave.
o 125 points per completed Insane wave.
• Adds the ability to restart Public Horde from the current failed wave instead of having to start over from wave 1. Title Update 4 also allows the host to kick players from a Public Horde session.
• Increases the frequency of downloadable content (DLC) maps showing up in map voting if all players have shared map packs.
• Adds a message at the end of the match to explain to players that they should wait before quitting so that they avoid an experience penalty for quitting early.
• Adds support for the new campaign chapter, "Road to Ruin."
• Adds 13 new achievements worth 325 points. All of the new achievements require the Dark Corners Map Pack, a set of seven new maps and a deleted campaign chapter to be released July 28. The 13 new achievements are:
o "My Way or the Highway" (25 points): Without being detected, complete the "Road to Ruin" deleted scene after choosing the stealth option.
o "Highway to Hell" (25 points): Complete the "Road to Ruin" deleted scene after choosing the guns-blazing option.
o "Two for the Road" (25 points): Complete the "Road to Ruin" deleted scene in co-op as either Marcus or Dom.
o "Be Careful What You Wish For" (10 points): Reach level 5 in multiplayer and complete waves 1 through 10 on the War Machine map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Ride It All Night Long" (10 points): Reach level 10 in multiplayer and complete waves 1 through 10 on the Highway map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "No, But His Face Rings a Bell" (15 points): Reach level 15 in multiplayer and complete waves 1 through 20 on the Sanctuary map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Lost in Transition" (20 points): Reach level 20 in multiplayer and complete waves 1 through 20 on the Way Station map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Like Father, Like Gun" (30 points): Reach level 30 in multiplayer and complete waves 1 through 30 on the Allfathers Garden map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Am I Only Dreaming?" (40 points): Reach level 40 in multiplayer and complete waves 1 through 40 on the Memorial map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Blood on the Sand" (50 points): Reach level 50 in multiplayer and complete waves 1 through 50 on the Nowhere map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Afraid of the Dark" (20 points): Play a multiplayer match on each of the seven Dark Corners Map Pack maps (any mode).
o "Did Not Go Gentle" (30 points): Win a multiplayer match on each of the seven Dark Corners Map Pack maps (any mode)
o "Is it Hot or Is That Just You?" (25 points): Kill 25 Bloodmounts with a Scorcher Flamethrower while playing Horde on a Dark Corners Map Pack map (any difficulty).
Exploit Fixes

Title Update 4 fixes these possible exploits, where under certain circumstances:
• A player could copy game progression data from one profile to another.
• A team could use the 50-point revive bonus to artificially increase its score in Horde. Going down but not out (DBNO) in Horde now subtracts 50 points, so there is no advantage to using the revive-bonus technique.
• A player could get 2 points for each kill in Wingman.
• A player could continue to shoot the Flamethrower while performing special movements like evading and mantling.
• A player could cause heavy weapons to spawn continuously while playing Horde.
Title Update 4 also fixes a number of lesser-known exploits.

General Fixes

Title Update 4 fixes these other issues as well:
• An issue that could cause players to lose all achievement progression if they signed in during a loading screen.
• Issues related to the Smoke Grenade causing a player to cringe instead of knocking them down. If hit by a Smoke Grenade with cringing turned on, players will now:
o Drop the Boomshield, even if aiming while carrying it.
o Drop a heavy weapon, even if it is deployed.
o Cringe while roadie running.
o Cringe while in cover.
• An issue that prevented players from shooting around the lower left side of a planted shield.
• An issue that could cause a DBNO player to not appear as DBNO.
• An issue that prevented Gears players from inviting players of other games to join them in progress in a Private match using DLC.
• Issues that caused rich presence information to become inaccurate.
• An issue that caused the overall achievements progress bar to not reflect the latest achievements.
• An assortment of localization bug fixes.
• Additional miscellaneous bug fixes.
Balancing

Title Update 4 makes these balancing changes:
• Adds a 30-second delay in map-based weapon spawning at the beginning of a Wingman match.
• Adds more future server-side balancing options.
We continue to test internally and monitor online gameplay to determine what else may need adjusting.

Took this from GAF, TU4 sucks.

Fail. IMHO tweaking the smokes any further is an absolute mistake and an obvious nod to the morons whining about losing their scrubby ass omnipotent ragdoll effect. The Mortar cringe alone made them balanced enough to the point where those who were aware of their limitations used them for their intended purposes: bluffing and closing the damn gap between campers. These new changes only promote the same easy effortless bullshit kills brought on by the original. Plus it's not as if those changes are necessary when the smoke is so thin you can tell from a mile away whether or not you're intended target is stuck in a stagger animation.

Ugh. ...Whatever.

wait, so the whole smoke nades not knocking you down is permanent now? I mean yea i hated getting hit the the nades but i love using them against someone, especially when they are well planted. not my fault you can't avoid planted smokes.

Yup, that definitely sucks. Still no region filter searching which they've been promising since the game came out. The ability to restart public horde matches is a highly wanted feature, but I doubt many will take advantage of it. Oh, the amount of XP you earn for completing a single wave of Horde is pretty pathetic, especially on Insane.

The problem people have with the smoke grenades is they throw it in, stun people, then rush in and shotgun people. And it still doesn't look like they've added any weapon tweaking.

still haven't fixed the shield glitch - unreal....i just don't think they CAN fix it, which is pretty shitty.

They need to take power weapons OUT of wingman mode, completely.

[quote name='decrot']wait, so the whole smoke nades not knocking you down is permanent now? I mean yea i hated getting hit the the nades but i love using them against someone, especially when they are well planted. not my fault you can't avoid planted smokes.[/QUOTE]

Avoiding planted grenades is child's play. It's having to worry about being knocked into a ridiculous stagger after you've deliberately set one off by rolling back just so some scrub can get a free kill that'll piss me off.

Not a big deal. Just clearly a game play element I could do without.

Anyway... Wingman without power weapons is akin to hosting a private match with casual bots. Think about it. It's the only defense no host players have to beating host without getting lucky or having a decent connection.

On the surface I happen to like it. I play horde more than multiplayer only because I don't have to worry about the computer cheating like humans do. The only reason I've been playing mp lately is because I want the achievements, but not technically I can get them from Horde, so once I've gotten the ones that I should be able to, I'll probably not come back very often.

How about if they fixed this one thing, though, in horde give me 5 seconds of invincibility after a wave begins on Security, so that no one runs into the laser trying to make it inside. Small request and I'd like it only for horde.

[quote name='KingBroly']Yup, that definitely sucks. Still no region filter searching which they've been promising since the game came out. The ability to restart public horde matches is a highly wanted feature, but I doubt many will take advantage of it. Oh, the amount of XP you earn for completing a single wave of Horde is pretty pathetic, especially on Insane.

The problem people have with the smoke grenades is they throw it in, stun people, then rush in and shotgun people. And it still doesn't look like they've added any weapon tweaking.[/QUOTE]

Smoke grenades were so damn easy to avoid. The people who complained about it were the ones who switch to there shotty at the beginning of every round and wanted to rush like its Gears 1. Ive stopped playing because of how useless the smoke is.

[quote name='Redeema']On the surface I happen to like it. I play horde more than multiplayer only because I don't have to worry about the computer cheating like humans do. The only reason I've been playing mp lately is because I want the achievements, but not technically I can get them from Horde, so once I've gotten the ones that I should be able to, I'll probably not come back very often.

How about if they fixed this one thing, though, in horde give me 5 seconds of invincibility after a wave begins on Security, so that no one runs into the laser trying to make it inside. Small request and I'd like it only for horde.[/QUOTE]

Yeah ive even been stuck between the lasers during the break between rounds, only to die immediately when the round starts cos the lasers came back on before the round started. LOL

So the All fronts collection is officially canceled for retail right? b/c in the target ad today they have it pictured under the pre-order deal in which you can get a 5 dollar GC with reservation. Don't know if they were too lazy to take AFC out when it was canceled.

Those things are generally printed some time in advance, so any last second changes won't be reflected, which is why they usually just post a message on the ad board when you first walk in the store.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Fail. IMHO tweaking the smokes any further is an absolute mistake and an obvious nod to the morons whining about losing their scrubby ass omnipotent ragdoll effect. The Mortar cringe alone made them balanced enough to the point where those who were aware of their limitations used them for their intended purposes: bluffing and closing the damn gap between campers. These new changes only promote the same easy effortless bullshit kills brought on by the original. Plus it's not as if those changes are necessary when the smoke is so thin you can tell from a mile away whether or not you're intended target is stuck in a stagger animation.

Ugh. ...Whatever.[/QUOTE]

I prefer the old smokes, that makes me a moron? I question how much you really understand the game, the new smoke causes balance issues and actually favors campers.

Yeah, my list of complains:

1. I still think they need to fix the 1-shot Shotgun kills. I might understand if it was a head-shot but more often than not it is aimed elsewhere and hip-fired to boot. I've been able to do it unintentionally plenty of times but it seems like it happens a LOT more coming from the other team.
  2. Also, they need to implement some sort of ping detection and game resolution because I've been in matches where the host (chosen for God knows what reason) either has a poor connection or maybe lag-switching and gets kills in the dozens whereas my team gets single-digits because we are back-stepping, re-firing, and such. The game should detect this and end with no points to anyone and no penalty along with maybe flagging that gamertag for the day as a non-suitable host. Different than the host leaving altogether and getting a penalty.
  3. False early leave XP penalty. It's happened to me only twice but I got -1500XP after a couple of matches stating I had left early despite playing the full game, being near or at the top of the game leaderboard, and still being in the party/lobby afterward.
  4. Clear game points to XP correlation. They are never 1-to-1 and never consistently one higher than the other.

[quote name='-BigC-']I prefer the old smokes, that makes me a moron? I question how much you really understand the game, the new smoke causes balance issues and actually favors campers.[/QUOTE]

Balance issues... how so? The stagger effect lasts between less than to a full second compared to the standard 1 1/2 - 3 second penalty of the rag doll, assuming you weren't glitch killed for bouncing off the map, slid into a damn wall, or were plagued with lag in the process. I recognize the possibility of a particularly malicious opponent camping on his own smoke in cover to score a kill, but as it stands you can roadie run and roll through planted or thrown smokes giving yourself a fighting chance.

Combining that with the length of stagger in my opinion is something to rejoice about as most players have to actually work to get a kill. The type of effort a rag doll user rarely had to expend in a game where you could roll, walk, run or remain in cover near a fresh settling cloud and STILL get knocked down for the utter hell of it. A common ridiculous occurrence - spontaneous and infuriating. You couldn't intentionally set one off without flying across the damn map and whether or not the culprit was still around to take notice, you could be damn sure one of his teammates probably would. The rag dolls rarely ever gave their victims a fighting chance unless somehow their would-be killer missed a shot or your character slid past them.

Looking back on it, the new update will still favor campers in the aforementioned scenario now having lost the option of rolling in or to the side to enter a room or corner uninhibited by the grenade. Even so, I believe in comparison to the seemingly limitless flaws of the rag doll they are a far lesser tolerable evil overall.

Varying play styles aside... without an actual explanation, I question how much you really understand the game. A single sentence gave me very little idea of where you're coming from man.

TU4 is supposed to go up around 5am eastern tomorrow, and I'm guessing double xp starts shortly thereafter. I'm not entirely sure when, though. I plan on playing some Horde on public to get some minor XP bonuses.

It's not a lot of XP, though. In a public round of Horde, you'll average 750 XP every half hour. It could be more this weekend though, since Horde is being made easier and there's double XP.

It's not that bad....

And I'd say that any XP for Horde is welcome. It's better than getting the zero we're all getting now for putting mad hours into Horde.

I really like Gears 2, I don't know what the people who are complaining about when they say that it's laggy/glitchy, as 19/20 matches go off without a hitch, which is more than I can say for some of the other XBL games.

For me, it is 19/20 are laggy and full of glitches. I probably have had 1 or 2 playable matches in 2 days. Seems like it has been worse lately. After TU3 it was decent for awhile.

still can't get into matches anymore. since April/May I've just been sitting in the lobby for minutes until restarting, quiting, or some how the game miraculously starts. my connection is decent (usually the orange/yellow 2 bar) and no NAT problems as far as I can tell. the only thing I can think of is this damned weather since I'm using a wifi connection. might just break out my laptop and try that connection soon. other games (like TF2 I can start matches) are fine. the netcode is terrible for this game which is a shame cause I really enjoy the multiplayer when I can get in a match and there's little lag and no glitchers.

if anyone needs people for multiplayer add me (please say your from CAG) since I am able to get in games through other's connections more easily. I'm also down for horde (mainly snowblind to get the 1-50 achievement)

I haven't had any lag since the last update. Admittedly, I've been playing mostly Horde but I had two rounds of Wingman last night that went smooth as silk.

what are your connections? my isp is Verzion dsl; doesn't help that my 360 is 12+ feet above the modem (one floor between). after TU2 and before TU3 I was able to get into matches quickly. before TU2, it'd take 10+ min. since TU3 it's very sporadic-maybe due to weather like I noted

[quote name='Gamer SDP']what are your connections? my isp is Verzion dsl; doesn't help that my 360 is 12+ feet above the modem (one floor between). after TU2 and before TU3 I was able to get into matches quickly. before TU2, it'd take 10+ min. since TU3 it's very sporadic-maybe due to weather like I noted[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you're using a wireless connection. That's the problem; wireless connections are shit.

I have Verizon DSL and since launch, I have never once had a problem finding a game on Gears.

[quote name='crushtopher']GoW2 really has issues. When the game is great...it is great. But when it sucks...my god does it suck.[/QUOTE]

Irrefutable truth.

Played a little tonight...

Dont like how the host can pause the game in public horde. Was this always that way? Because i dont remember the host pausing the game ever till tonight.

Ink nades look like they last not nearly as long as before. Not sure if that was in the long list of updates.

Horde is still fun, but i dont get the point in giving us 150 points per round. I think it would be better based on how many kills you got.

Im glad that the ticker level 10s thing is only for this weekend, because it sucks.

I don't play online very often, but love the game. So I've not bothered picking up any map packs (especially when they tried to scam us a few weeks ago with 30% off, even though they knew they'd be releasing them again in this pack). So I'll be able to get a lot of value for my money with this pack.
I'm actually holding out on all Fallout 3 content as well, expecting that they'll eventually release a cheaper download of all DLC together.

Ugh. Not only is the wait time for a Wingman match managed to extend itself from a few seconds to a few f*cking minutes after the update for me, but the 30 second spawn delay for power weapons caters to host teams. Whoever thought that was a good idea was probably related to whomever wrote the netcode for this damn game.

If it ain't broke the why the f*ck are you always trying to 'fix' it knowing your tendency to fail utterly Epic? It's so frustrating. I honestly try to roll with the punches when it comes to this game, but I've almost reached my limit. ;\

bread's done
Back