Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

So Saturday night, anyone up fro any of those Horde waves? I've been playing ranked Annex for a bit; gonna try Casual Horde by myself and hopefully not die.

EDIT: Played through 6 waves on Canals so far. Taking a break to eat. As for Saturday night, I'd love to go through all 50 waves on any Snowblind map on Insane if I can find 2-4 others willing. We'd get a ton of experience.

EDIT 2: Forgot about the Lakers game and the Stanley Cup Final- at the same time! Augh... Can anyone play around 11:30 P.M. Eastern? I have to see the Lakers game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Matt Young']So Saturday night, anyone up fro any of those Horde waves? I've been playing ranked Annex for a bit; gonna try Casual Horde by myself and hopefully not die.

EDIT: Played through 6 waves on Canals so far. Taking a break to eat. As for Saturday night, I'd love to go through all 50 waves on any Snowblind map on Insane if I can find 2-4 others willing. We'd get a ton of experience.

EDIT 2: Forgot about the Lakers game and the Stanley Cup Final- at the same time! Augh... Can anyone play around 11:30 P.M. Eastern? I have to see the Lakers game.[/QUOTE]Sorry, I haven't been able to play the last two nights as I've had other stuff come up. Always happens during 2XPs or 3XPs (or both since MW2 is having 2XP this weekend too). I, too, should be online tonight right after the SUNS game. I'll send out a few FRs shortly. Matt, I have to do most of the the same horde stuff as you and recently I've seen Freshzen on my FR playing alot of GoW2 trying to get the horde stuff and level 100 so he may want to join in.

[quote name='Matt Young']So Saturday night, anyone up fro any of those Horde waves? I've been playing ranked Annex for a bit; gonna try Casual Horde by myself and hopefully not die.

EDIT 2: Forgot about the Lakers game and the Stanley Cup Final- at the same time! Augh... Can anyone play around 11:30 P.M. Eastern? I have to see the Lakers game.[/QUOTE]

I might be able to join you guys as I might be back home around that time. If not, I am definitely game for anytime Sunday (since I have Monday off for Memorial Day). Just FR me. Invite me when you guys are ready.

Correction: I can join you tonight but maybe not tomorrow. I had a mix up with my dates. Just FR me. Invite me when you guys are ready for some Horde.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Sorry, I haven't been able to play the last two nights as I've had other stuff come up. Always happens during 2XPs or 3XPs (or both since MW2 is having 2XP this weekend too). I, too, should be online tonight right after the SUNS game. I'll send out a few FRs shortly. Matt, I have to do most of the the same horde stuff as you and recently I've seen Freshzen on my FR playing alot of GoW2 trying to get the horde stuff and level 100 so he may want to join in.[/QUOTE]

My friend list is full, but I can send out messages (or you guys can) after the Lakers game and we can do it. Insane Horde on a Snowblind map?

[quote name='Matt Young']My friend list is full, but I can send out messages (or you guys can) after the Lakers game and we can do it. Insane Horde on a Snowblind map?[/QUOTE]

I would prefer to do Horde on one of the Dark Corners maps that we all need or either Tyro Station or Canals.

Which one? Those don't get you achievements unless you're really high level. But I could use the XP.

JDawgg and lordopus, I added you.

so is the all fronts collections permanently 800 pts now or is it just a sale..

thinking about getting it.. havent played in forever... whats the best way to level up.. I don't think I have played since they changed the multiplayer exp setup

I played Annex for an hour and leveled up from 15-17. That's a good one for points, and I've been told Horde on Insane is good. Buy it and join us? I paid 1600 points, barely played it, and still don't regret it.

[quote name='Matt Young']Which one? Those don't get you achievements unless you're really high level. But I could use the XP.

JDawgg and lordopus, I added you.[/QUOTE]

I am level 36. Do note that if you complete them early they will unlock once you reach that level.

The ones I am missing are:
- Waystation (18-20)
- All Fathers Garden (28-30)
- Memorial (granted not at a level to have it unlock)
- Nowhere (granted not at a level to have it unlock)
- Missing 3 levels for Flashback maps (either Tyro or Canals is where I point the finger to)

So you guys know it has been awhile since I have played. There will be rust. :p

[quote name='Guyver2077']whats the best way to level up[/QUOTE]
Guardian used to be the best prior to TU6. Not sure how it is now that TU6 screwed with that mode.

Man, I wish I had known. I finally got around to playing one ranked match and I leveled up from 17 to halfway through 18 in one game, which I lost.

I made it through waves 1-20 of Way Station with EastX and leveled up past 20 for the achievement. I'll definitely get to 25 during 3XP. I've already leveled up from 15-21 and that's only been a couple hours of playing, Horde aside.

If people want to set something up for Horde or regular ranked play (I'd prefer Annex for most points and most fun) let me know. I'll be on and off XBL and CAG most of the day, unless I succumb to sleep.

[quote name='lordopus99']So you guys know it has been awhile since I have played. There will be rust. :p[/QUOTE]I'll have to shake off rust, too.
[quote name='Matt Young']I see that you're on, but no JDawgg. We need at least 3 people for this; maybe more. I do hope we can start at Wave 1 on some map, though.[/QUOTE]Sorry, I started an hour project at 9 EST which turned into a monster that I didn't finish until about 3:45 AM. Couldn't leave it partially done either. Saw some of you guys were on wave six in horde, but couldn't join so I just played a little Red Dead and went to sleep. I will without a doubt be playing tonite. Can't believe I'm on vacation and I haven't had a chance to take advantage of 3xp yet.

BTW, I'm down for grindind horde achievements even after the 3XP is over. I'm a horde fanatic.

I did waves 1-20 on Way Station, but I still need the rest of the map specific Horde achievements. I didn't sleep last night so I don't know how late I'll be on, but if anyone wants to go, I'll be up for at least 8 more hours (10 P.M. Pacific) albeit not on the Xbox that whole time.

while playing social annex, I just joined when the round had ended and I was on a team with 1 player and 4 bots and as soon as the round ended I got this message "Network The game's host removed you from the session. Select a game with a different host." WTF

I'll be down for horde tomorrow night

I need to do the horde achievements for:

Nowhere 1-50 (got to 20s)
Memorial 1-40 (got to high 20s solo)
Allfathers 1-30 (got to mid 20s solo)

Only played for a bit this morning and an hour and a half tonight. I was useless throughout much of the day due to no sleep. When I did my night session, we were disconnected over 50% of the time from ranked matches, often near the end. I had never seen a disconnect in this game before.

I wish I had started on the day triple XP began and played more, but I still have 30-something hours, so basically tomorrow. I just want to get to level 25 for the achievement. I've gone from 15-22 in a short amount of time.

Well today i tried ranked guardian for the first time since the update and got disconnected from the host 8 of out 11 matches. It disconnects me right as you should see the players list for the first time. I just see a dark blurry picture of the map. Never had any problems with this before the update. Then when i do get a match, by the time i am able to play, my team is half way down the map already. The bullets might hit the wall right when i shoot them now, but i think thats just cover, the lag is still there. In fact i think it might be worse than before. I got torqued around a corner, hammer of dawn gives no warning.... you just get hit with it out of no where. Same with the mortar, you dont hear anything until the bombs come dropping and by then its too late.

The only way i can play this game now is when i start a game in social and end up host. When i get host i almost always go positive. When im not host, im lucky to break even. In fact my social guardian KD is around 2.5 while my ranked guardian KD is around 0.8. So ill be sticking to social guardian from now on. I cant play this game anymore if im not host. The only thing that sucks is when i start a social game, its usually full of bots and i always get 375 xp no matter how many kills i get. Its really annoying, punishing me because the game couldnt find me any players. Only way i get full XP is if the game ends with another player in the game besides me. If 3-4 people join and leave before the game ends, i get 375 xp.

To end this rant, i did end up level 91 tonight. Maybe i can get to 92 tomorrow depending on how much i play. Damn i wish this XP was longer. Those last 8 levels will take me 3-4 weeks instead of 8-10 days.

Also, I saw JDawgg and lordopus on, but both were playing separate Horde games and were in the middle of sessions. I figured they were busy, plus there's no point in wasting 3XP on Horde unless we're doing levels that count toward achievements.

[quote name='Matt Young']Also, I saw JDawgg and lordopus on, but both were playing separate Horde games and were in the middle of sessions. I figured they were busy, plus there's no point in wasting 3XP on Horde unless we're doing levels that count toward achievements.[/QUOTE]

We were in the same game for a split second before something happened to JDawgg. By the time, he ask me to invite him back in, the group was full. I tried to join his game as well but gave up after a while since I noticed his was also busy. I didn't even see you on or I would have tried joining you as well.

Towards the end of the night, I attempted to keep jumping from game to game in hopes of getting on a Horde map I need (to no avail, I couldn't join any of the maps I needed :cry:). I wish the new TU6 would have allowed me to pick the map I wanted to join for Social.

Social Matches: the one playlist I want to play for the ability to join matches mid-game but it's restricted to people who have all the maps. No thanks, the patch isn't good enough to justify buying the maps. Too many other games to play...

[quote name='lordopus99']We were in the same game for a split second before something happened to JDawgg. By the time, he ask me to invite him back in, the group was full. I tried to join his game as well but gave up after a while since I noticed his was also busy. I didn't even see you on or I would have tried joining you as well.

Towards the end of the night, I attempted to keep jumping from game to game in hopes of getting on a Horde map I need (to no avail, I couldn't join any of the maps I needed :cry:). I wish the new TU6 would have allowed me to pick the map I wanted to join for Social.[/QUOTE]Right after I sent that I disconnected from Live and had to reboot my router and modem. Seems to always happen just once and around midnite. Waited for a few to see if I could rejoin, and then tried to find maps I need only getting a couple I needed. Too bad, as that was the best group of the night. Found a few good players and a bunch of idiots who preferred to Rambo instead of use teamwork even on hardcore and insane difficulty. I didn't see matt either.

I did level up from 21 to 25 at least. When does 3XP end? If it's still active I'll be playing more tonight, if not I'll try MW2 2XP and if that's over it's back to Rred Dead. However, I'll play Horde/MP anytime I get an invite.

7th I think that's because your NAT connection is strict. I recall having trouble joining months ago and when we did get a game going you would have host powers.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']7th I think that's because your NAT connection is strict. I recall having trouble joining months ago and when we did get a game going you would have host powers.[/QUOTE]

I dont even know what a NAT is. My router is plug and play style. No installation or settings. So i dunno how i would be able to fix this.

I really wish hosts could remove people after a game is over. I dont want to keep playing the same assholes who talk shit after they beat me and my 4 bots vs their 5 human player team. Give me a break. Then you have people who stop playing for 3 games or more. Its annoying.

I think im done with gears, this update has ruined it for me. Being spoiled as host for the last four days, owning people left and right, then joining someone elses host and doing the same stuff and dying over and over, it really gets old fast. If it were me and not the lag that was the problem, i would understand. All they did was basically make shit look like gold. Sure the bullets show up on the wall the second you shoot, even when you arent host. But when you shoot a downed body, you can see the lag is still there. I really have no desire to play anymore. If im host im constantly fighting 5 humans vs me and 4 bots. If i join a game the lag is horrible, and i die a lot more than i should. So its lose lose situation.

I don't see all this host advantage or lag. neither do my friends who play every day. It may be there, but it's nowhere near as significant as 7th says.

JDawgg, it ends at 9 A.M. eastern, I believe. And you know you can do private Horde and still make progress toward the achievements, right? You can choose any map you want.

Matt, this game is the worst offender when it comes to host advantage and weapons working depending upon your connection.

Maybe, but that doesn't mean it's terrible. I haven't had any problems, and neither have my friends who've put in several hundred hours. I'm not denying it's there; just that he overstated it.

I'm honestly curious as to whether or not your friends bridge or what connection they're running on for them to convince you host advantage is less of a problem than it really is in Gears 2.

7th isn't exaggerating one bit and neither are we. The update has done nothing more than add an extra thick coat of polish to the gigantic piece of shit that is Gears MP. Bullet lag is still just as prevalent as it was pre-update and more often than not players win because of host rather than actual skill.

[quote name='Matt Young']Maybe, but that doesn't mean it's terrible. I haven't had any problems, and neither have my friends who've put in several hundred hours. I'm not denying it's there; just that he overstated it.[/QUOTE]

It's exactly what it means. I had nothing but problems when I played the game. It's there and he didn't overstate.

I don't know what kind of connections my friends use. It's 2 groups of 4 and 3 people, respectively, in different houses. All I know is that they all use Time Warner cable internet and are connected wirelessly.

I do love how I can't say "I have not experienced this problem" and, in this case, noted that my friends said they have not, without Trakan calling me out. This is the second time.

Again, I never said it wasn't there. But I have never noticed it in my 50 or so hours of play- and I know that's a lot less than many of you- so it must not be so terrible for everyone at all times. Maybe I'm just lucky. I rarely have any disconnects or a single bit of lag in any game.

To clarify, however- by host advantage, do you mean the whole team or just the single player who hosts the game? I just want to know what to look out for.

But I'm not here to get into some argument, regardless. I'm still looking for people to do the Horde waves I mentioned before, which is absically every one that counts toward an achievement except for Way Station. Later on at night is best for me.

You know what is a serious problem I have been seeing lately? Frequent host disconnects. This game is by far the worst for that. How can they not migrate the host? And you get none of the XP you earned whatsoever. How is that fair? And games of Gears take 2-3 times as long as Halo or COD, usually lasting 20 minutes.

I misread and just now found out that triple XP ends at 6 A.M. rather than 9 A.M., so this is extra annoying, since I'm trying to get to level 25. I'm at 22 right now.

The person who gets host is the one who gets the biggest advantage, but how much damage your gun does is dependent upon how good your connection is to the host.

I didn't say you couldn't say you haven't experienced the problem. You said what 7th number said wasn't true. It is. In the Halo thread, you said it takes more than two beatdowns. It was wrong. You're wrong now. It's like saying you haven't been killed by many people using the shotgun in Gears. It's just, common knowledge. The netcode is garbage. I don't know what else to say.

[quote name='Trakan']The person who gets host is the one who gets the biggest advantage, but how much damage your gun does is dependent upon how good your connection is to the host.

I didn't say you couldn't say you haven't experienced the problem. You said what 7th number said wasn't true. It is. In the Halo thread, you said it takes more than two beatdowns. It was wrong. You're wrong now. It's like saying you haven't been killed by many people using the shotgun in Gears. It's just, common knowledge. The netcode is garbage. I don't know what else to say.[/QUOTE]

I said I haven't experienced what 7th did. fact. I said it took more than 2 melee attacks to kill a few guys in Reach. Fact. I played it; I know what happened. Was it supposed to happen? Maybe not. Halo was a beta and betas do have problems. But those things happened (or in Gears' case, didn't happen) in both games.

Anyway...

After playing for the first time in a while over the past few days, a couple things stood out to me as flaws in an otherwise very good game. The common theme is time.

This game is sloooooooow. There is no reason why it should take literally over 1 minute to find teammates and start a match, *then* make you wait 20 seconds (takes a bit for the 10 second countdown to start), and you have to wait even longer if bots need to be assigned. After that, you still have the same wait between rounds as you did when you first entered the game, and finally, you must wait 2 seconds after the match for no damn good reason. If it gave you the option to party up, I'd understand... but it doesn't.

The biggest issue is that the actual gameplay takes too long. Games go 20-30 minutes on average. That is way too long for 1 match in a shooting game. No other shooter is like that. These games are made so you can jump in, kill some people, and then go do whatever. People do not want to spend several minutes in menus and then play a 30 minute game, especially if there's a...

HOST DISCONNECT. Really? This never happened to me before, but it happened several times over the weekend. Why Gears cannot migrate the host is beyond me. Even more ridiculous is that you do not keep any XP from host disconnects. That means you probably just spent 15-20 minutes playing for absolutely nothing. Infuriating.

Even with those flaws, popping in the game this weekend reminded me of how fun it is. I also leveled up from 15-24, but fell short of the level 25 achievement. I know 9 levels may not be much, but keep in mind that I played 6, maybe 7 hours (counting all the waiting), and had 5 games disconnect due to the host. Then there's the fact that I hadn't played since November; before that, when the All Fronts pack was released; and before that, January. So I basically had barely played in a year and a half.

All that being said, I'd like to make Gears a regular thing, at least a couple hours a week. I've neglected it for far too long.

[quote name='GUNNM']Awesome just got a free code from rod fergusson.[/QUOTE]

wow how did you do that? maybe I should bitch about gears2 and hope for free gears3 codes like everyone else.:D

7th, when I meant NAT setting I was referring to what the connection is labeled as on your console under settings. also gears 2 use to have a notice when you change from private/public if you have a strict NAT.

I'm no Internet or network expert but I have no idea how the netcode determines a host. I have slightly below connection AND its wireless yet rarely ever get host. people with terrible connections obviously get host and some with decent or good connection too.

Matt, do you recall when you or your friends first played the game? I got the game a month after release and played the game pretty much for about 18-20 months (stopped playing round Nov 09 when TU5 started up). The lag and connection issues HAVE improved over the course of TU but even with TU6 MP is still gonna suck if you are not host or host has good connection. Triple xp should be the default xp rate so I can finally level up to 65...

I really hope Epic has a good MP in store for Gears 3. I played some Gears 1 which also lags but not as much. Hopefully it'll be a combination of the two games, though I don't really like the lobby system for Gears 1.

You are high or you suck at the game if you haven't run into ultra super mega host yet. I like Gears more than anyone I play with on CAG, but that shit really irks me. I can only take so many bullshit deaths before it makes me turn off the game.

I played for a very short period post update and it seemed like the lag was worse. When I shotgunned a wall it'd make me think I was host, but the gun just wouldn't do crap on people. Its like they made it so you can't tell just how bad the connection is. At least before I could tell how laggy it was, and aim in front of moving targets accordingly. I think by trying to fix the host advantage they made it worse. I guess at least now you can quit games so if you feel cheated a couple times in a row you can just leave the game penalty free.

[quote name='Matt Young']I said I haven't experienced what 7th did. fact. I said it took more than 2 melee attacks to kill a few guys in Reach. Fact. I played it; I know what happened. Was it supposed to happen? Maybe not. Halo was a beta and betas do have problems. But those things happened (or in Gears' case, didn't happen) in both games. [/QUOTE]

You're arguing against game mechanics, it just doesn't make any sense. It'd be like if I claimed that it took two knife stabs to kill someone in a COD game or I scored a touchdown in Madden and it only gave me 5 points.

Maybe you can't see it yet in Gears 2, but it's definitely there.

[quote name='Trakan']
Maybe you can't see it yet in Gears 2, but it's definitely there.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I said before. I haven't seen it, but it must be there if so many people complain about it.

Casey, how does "not running into super mega host" mean a person sucks? That makes no sense.

[quote name='GUNNM']Rod on his twitter has been giving away codes for the past 3 days he's given away over 70 at least
http://twitter.com/GearsViking[/QUOTE]

anyone who bought the All Fronts DLC or any of the map pack (Dark Corners, Snowblind, Combustible lol Flashback) should be entitled to free dlc in Gears 3...I'm just saying ;)

I've been gaming for years and 1 thing I can't understand is why epic games cannot fix this host advantage bullshit. 1 1/2 years with 6 updates later and still the main problem of the game hasn't been fixed. No wonder this game hasn't seen it made to the top 10 most played game(s) since it's release date. Before working on dlc, maps, gears of war 3 and anything else they should fix this damn game. I won't be buying gears 3 @ launch and will probably wait awhile to see how it is instead. Oh and now with the update, how is it that someone is more than 10 feet and even at times 20 feet away and they shoot me with a shotgun and it does damage? Really? Does a shotgun do that much damage from that far away in real life and/or in other games? No. fucking stupid and epic needs to fix this shit

bread's done
Back