Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

I'm available to help out a little bit for horde mode, even though i have my achievements. I refuse to grind KotH, as I just can't pop in and out of a blue or red circle for an hour. 10x XP isn't that bad, considering the event is 10 days long.

According to a post I just saw, Horde Thanksgibbing event includes ONLY wretches and they are carrying shotties. That's right. They're packing heat. Anyway, I'm down for tonight if anyone wants to do some horde. The Epic guys were right when they said choosing the right map would help. Nowhere would be good since you can cover both stairwells on the roof and use the big guns that spawn up there to take them out quick. Epic pretty much said they didn't think it would be possible to last all fifty without restarting on insane. I think a really good team with patience to maximize chokepoints could do it, but usually someone gets bored and decides to Rambo around and then the dominoes fall.

[quote name='kylerg']How will the new Horde help with the remaining cheesemints?[/QUOTE]Since the enemies are lesser, there will be more numbers per round.

Epic has tweeted that they may either remove the shotguns or bump up the xp on Monday due to general backlash. didn't mention the bloodmount flamethrowers though. I think there's a wave of just tickers in there somewhere too.

I see, tickers are just mixed in on most rounds. And Bloodmounts have riders and there is a mix of bm, tickers, wretches on round 10. Got a lotta kills tonight. But had a lot of bad matches with randoms where guys ran off or a few where we got swarmed before we could take a defensive position. It's definitely best to have a team in place and choose a specific map. I've got a guy on my FL who always wants to play so that could help us fill out a team if we need it tomorrow night.

my wife is out of town so I might be down to play tonight or tomorrow night if anyone wants to hit me up. I've missed the 25x and 31x weekends, so I'll take what I can get. I don't care what game type, but I'm definitely up for some Horde

Is Horde still 10x, or did they do anything to make the stages easier like they mentioned they might on Monday? I've been playing Annex for a few hours a night, grinding from 72-75 woohoo!

Also, myl0r, I just friended you. CAGs, anyone want to play some Horde tonight (Wednesday)? I'll host a game starting at 6:30 PM EST if anyone wants to join.

Horde is still 10x, all multiplayer modes are. The wretches don't have shotties anymore, but they added Sires with shotguns and since they're faster they take you out pretty easily. It's really not worth playing horde on harder difficulties, unless you want a high score, the time you'll put into it won't get you the XP you're hoping for. Plus, you need a good map with a decent place to sit and wait and let them come to you.

From the Thanksgiving event thread on epics forums, these are tweets posted in the op there:
"Could be worse, they could have Boltoks... just saying. And yes, I still find Wretches with shotguns funny as hell!"

----------------------------------------

"Going to try and put in some Horde tweaks today that will make it easier without losing my shotgun totting minions completely. Stay tuned."

"I'm told that my changed have rolled out. You should see normal Wretches 1-2, add Ticker squads 3+, add shotty Wretches squads 5+"

"Im not in the office so this has not received the usual testing. Oh and chainsaw interrupts should be turned off as well to help."

"Ok, looks lke somewhere along the line @Epiccog and myself messed this up... wasn't seeing any ticker or shotty Wretch squads. Off to fix."

"Ok, attempted fix is now propped. Off to see if the squads are back or not."

"Nope - 0 for 2. Trying again..."

"Couldn't get what i wanted so i improvised. Tickers come on wave 3 and Sires with shotguns show up starting on wave 5. Try It Out!"

"Ok, so i've split the difference. Waves 1-4 are for the grinders in the crowd and 5-10 are for people who want a challenge."

"Ok, the chainsaw interrupt should be disabled now so chainsawing Sire and Wretches should be a lot easier..."

What is known so far about the Xmas event:

Originally Posted by Rod Fergusson
Well first thing is that I think we need to pick a better 12 days to maximize peoples playtime and vacation. So I'm thinking that the 12 days should be from Dec 22nd till the morning of Jan 3rd.

Thanks,

Rod.
Also, it sounds like they are done with the huge xp events so around 10 may be more the norm. If it keeps looking that way I may looking to boost next decent event.

My best buddy and I are looking for couple more for Horde that won't quit out on us. If so, just sent me a FR. Plan on playing late tonight. Around 2am EST

Beginning to reveal 12 days of xmas event. XP will start at 12xp and go up to 23:
12x to 23x XP
December 22th to January 3rd
The Official 12 Days of Gearsmas List

1. "On the first day of Gearsmas Epic gave to me, a concussion from a smoke grenade." Bringing the concuss back for day

NEW Rod Tweet Dec. 15th

Quote:
And @epiccog just confirmed that we can raise the XP multiplier every day so it will go from 12x to 23x on the last day.
NEW Rod Tweet Dec. 14th

Quote:
So 12 Days of Gearsmas will include 12x XP and golden guns for everyone. And that's not any of the days yet...
smile.gif

23XP is great and all, but they set the bar so high with Halloween that they need to do that almost every time now. Really, why not hit 25XP? I'll grind out as much as I can, but at level 69, I don't expect to reach 100 off of this alone. Hopefully they have another event planned soon.

Keep in mind 23 is only the last day as it increases one each day starting from 12x! They've already said they felt they went a little overboard with the xp the two events previous to Tgiving, but they do want to figure out ways for people to get kills faster, hence the wretch disaster (caused by getting cute with shotties). Also, they've been doing events around most holidays so hopefully the trend continues. Plus they'll probably do some events centered around big GOW3 reveals and the like.

12x to 23x XP
December 22th to January 3rd

The Official 12 Days of Gearsmas List
1. "On the first day of Gearsmas Epic gave to me, a concussion from a smoke grenade." Bringing the concuss back for day - Dec 22
2. 2 Flaming Bloodmounts (2 Bloodmounts with Flamethrowers every wave) - Dec 23
3. 3 Extra Clips (3 extra clips of ammo in every weapon) - Dec 24
4. 4 Frag grenades (Frag grenade pickups have 4) - Dec 25
5. 5 Torque Bow Tags (Many rifle creatures carry Torque Bows in Horde) - Dec 26
6. 6 Melee Monsters (All melee creatures Horde) - Dec 27
7. 7 Sires a storming - Dec 28
8. 8 Old School Gears Heads (4 v 4 MP) - Dec 29
9. 9 Boomers Booming (Boomer squads on every wave) - Dec 30
10. 10 Waves of Tickers (all Ticker Horde) - Dec 31
11. 11 Wretches Wretching (Wretches with Shotguns) - Jan 1
12. Some of the above (1, 3, 4, 8, 10) - Jan 2
~BONUS: Golden Lancer and Hammerburst for the duration of the event

Link : http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=752259

The only one that sounds fun is day 6, i assume horde enemies will only try to melee you?

Eh, I'm for anything that makes things a bit more interesting. Can't wait to do the old "smoke/concussion+ink grenade = instant kill" trick on day one hehehehe.

Can we petition Epic to do all tickers again? I freakin' loved it, but didn't start until early this morning before the switch to Day 11. I found a sweet little loophole. Started a custom game on insane on Security. Opened the laser fencing, ran like hell to get in, and wait for it...sat. Then I sat some more in the game, while in real life I walked away and came back every few minutes to check on the game and keep the controller on. The tickers can't hit the button and just explode while trying. I went from level 72 to 2/3 through 73 as I got ready for work then left the 360 on as I left then my gf shut it off when she got up. Had I known that I would've left it running last night. I don't know when or if drones even show up on that map like on some of the others, but it would be easy to start over from wave 1.

Hmm. Set it and forget it, huh? Looking at the list it looks like it will be going on again today the second, right? On security, if you're actually playing you can run out and plant frag/inks on the spawns nearby and get tons of kills quick when they have a lesser baddie event such as tickers and wretches.

May try and play tomorrow night for a bit to get some of that big xp bonus. Hate I missed out on it for this, Uncharted 2 which I played one night and RDR which I played tonite only. Think I may just stick to RDR as it's xp bonuses are much more rare than Gears or UC2 even though it's only 2xp. But if anyone wants to play some gears feel free to send me an invite as I might need a break from grinding gang hideouts.

I left it again this morning before leaving for work. Went from level 73 to 75 while getting ready for work and left the system on again. 23XP isn't something they're going to be doing again anytime soon, so I had to take advantage of it. Just make sure if you're going to leave it alone that you move the controller (assuming you're using wireless) every once in a while to prevent it from shutting off and pausing the game.

The other option is doing what my friend did by clearing wave 1, dying, then repeat to keep it time effective. Though, again with at least two you can clear a wave in a couple minutes, solo, letting them kill themselves can take as long as six minutes. One person killing them is 2-4 depending on the wave. Milk it while you can.

Thanks for posting this. I almost forgot and checked it out around 10p. I set it and left it a few times once while going grocery shopping. When I got back it was on level 17 or so. Left it to run at about 3am and when I checked it at 7a it was on the mp menu and I had moved from just at 74 to 76. Wish I had taken better advantage. Thanks anyway.

Ended up leveling from 78-83, not too shabby considering I only played for two days of the event. Can't wait for more bonus XP! Wish I had known about the Ticker Horde trick.

You're welcome. I ended up playing 1-3 over and over again with a friend to maximize our time. Not as fun as playing the game the right way, but I ended up getting from 73 to around 77 just from those two ticker days.

BTW, if you have a play and charge cord you could plug it in your wireless won't go to sleep. I had one from a pack I got on clearance at target a while back. I only wanted the battery, but the cord came in handy eventually.

I'm probably going to beat the game in single player on Normal today. I want to play co-op on Insane to get all the co-op/insane achievements. How many people can co-op? 2 or 4?

Anyone down to help me out? I want to finish it before I go back to school in two weeks.

Only two can co-op Gears 1 and 2. Gears 3 is expanding to 4 or 5 I think.

I do need insane and co-op cheves, so I may be able to help you out. Been waiting on a buddy to pick it up since we played the first one together, but he's taking his sweet time. Add JDawgg77 if u want. I should be able to play most nights between 10p to 1a est.

[quote name='Blackout']I'm probably going to beat the game in single player on Normal today. I want to play co-op on Insane to get all the co-op/insane achievements. How many people can co-op? 2 or 4?

Anyone down to help me out? I want to finish it before I go back to school in two weeks.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jdawgg76']Only two can co-op Gears 1 and 2. Gears 3 is expanding to 4 or 5 I think.

I do need insane and co-op cheves, so I may be able to help you out. Been waiting on a buddy to pick it up since we played the first one together, but he's taking his sweet time. Add JDawgg77 if u want. I should be able to play most nights between 10p to 1a est.[/QUOTE]

The story is so easy, even solo on insane. I didn't have the co-op chievos for awhile. :(

And corrent, Gears 1 & 2 is 2 players max co-op, Gears 3 will be 4 player co-op.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Only two can co-op Gears 1 and 2. Gears 3 is expanding to 4 or 5 I think.

I do need insane and co-op cheves, so I may be able to help you out. Been waiting on a buddy to pick it up since we played the first one together, but he's taking his sweet time. Add JDawgg77 if u want. I should be able to play most nights between 10p to 1a est.[/QUOTE]

OK cool, I'll add you.

How many people can play Horde at the same time?

5 can play horde. I'm still looking for the co-op achievements as well. West coast late nights, though. I have all the insane stuff done, so if anyone has that done and wants to run the game on casual that's the way I want to go about it. I have some of the levels done, but I'd rather just want to start over to not miss anything.

Also, I was wrong about the controller shutting off pausing the game. Either way, event is over.

am trying to get the 'annex now with execution rules' but no luck getting Tyro Station (the one i'm missing I think, not sure since i've got 8/9). Can I get this achievement in social matches too or only ranked?

Social is pretty much the only way to get most of those x wins on y gametype on z map achievements. Assuming you have all the maps, the rotation on the social servers is alphabetical. Keep that in mind when looking for a specific map; helps to know how many rounds you'll have to sit through to get to the map you want.

got a link or source on the lineup for the rotation of the social maps for annex? I don't even know which map it is I need. I went to the website and didn't see tyro station played so i'm guessing it's the 1 need. They should of just updated it in the game journal so people know which ones they've played & haven't.

[quote name='intoxicated662']got a link or source on the lineup for the rotation of the social maps for annex? I don't even know which map it is I need. I went to the website and didn't see tyro station played so i'm guessing it's the 1 need. They should of just updated it in the game journal so people know which ones they've played & haven't.[/QUOTE]You can check which maps you've played? Where? Also, if u need players for that cheve LMK as I need it too.

I'm down for helping people out with achievements, even if it's co-op campaign. I'm online playing Gears at least 3/7 nights a week, so feel free to add me... Dark Trooper 87.

I need some horde achievements and I need a team for annex if anyone needs that chievo too. I'm usually not into getting achievements much, but I love me some gears and wanna get as many as I can.

[quote name='intoxicated662']I need some horde achievements and I need a team for annex if anyone needs that chievo too. I'm usually not into getting achievements much, but I love me some gears and wanna get as many as I can.[/QUOTE]

I'll be on Saturday night, around 9:30 EST if you want to get some annex going...That's my main game mode.

I would play some annex if you needed a player. Also JDawg if you want to do the insane campaign together let me know. Maybe we could do a level or so a night and knock it off.

I'd be down to play with anybody doing Insane co-op starting Saturday night.

I'd also be down for some horde mode.

Feel free to add me! :cool:

Straight from Gears of War on facebook

Our next XP event will happen February 12th - 15th. There will be 14x XP in Wingman and 7x XP in all other gametypes. Also be sure to watch out for Wretch cupids with torque bows in Horde! Check out Cher's thread on the Epic forums for more information.

[quote name='timesplitt']starting at level 1, if i played all weekend how far would my level presumable go?[/QUOTE]

It depends on how good you are. I'm mediocre at best, but I played most of the day for three days straight during one of the x30 or so weekends and only got to around level 60.

[quote name='Filbert']It depends on how good you are. I'm mediocre at best, but I played most of the day for three days straight during one of the x30 or so weekends and only got to around level 60.[/QUOTE]

"Only" to lvl 60? Jeez, I've been playing pretty consistently during the past few months and I'm only 80-something...You can't expect to level to 100 in a weekend.

[quote name='drktrpr1']"Only" to lvl 60? Jeez, I've been playing pretty consistently during the past few months and I'm only 80-something...You can't expect to level to 100 in a weekend.[/QUOTE]

Because level 60 is only about 18% towards level 100 xp wise. 1,182,611 xp to 6,825,825 xp. So 60 to 100 is quite a grind.

Is it just me or Gears Of War 2 multiplayer dead?I was playing this yesterday and could not find a single game.We treid wingman,excution,and guardian.We could just not fine a match.The Friday I was playing with a friend.We got matches,but with the same people over and over?This game is going dead I guess.

A lot of people who usually play it are probably playing Black Ops this weekend for the Double XP event as well. So that may have cut down the pool of people playing it this weekend.

I'm sure there will be a lot on next week with the Gears XP event.

bread's done
Back