Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread II - All Stores CLOSING!

super_dawn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Thank you for stopping by the Official CAG Hollywood Video Deals Thread!

"Thank you to Thekrakrabbit for originally starting the HWV Deals Thread and for passing the torch onto me."

(updated 5/4/10)

RECENT NEWS: MG/HWV files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy for the 2nd time! ALL STORES CLOSING!

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2010/05/03/movie-gallerys-closing-act/
http://www.globest.com/news/1653_1653/portland/184780-1.html
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/movie-gallery/movie-gallery-shutting-down-all-stores-19261
http://www.myce.com/news/hollywood-video-finally-closing-its-doors-29290/

Please search the store locator for stores in your area that will be closing! Thank you.
http://hollywoodvideo.com/storelocator.aspx

If you have a problem with anything related to Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery/Game Crazy,
call 1-8SpeakToUs (1-877-325-8687).

Most Asked Question...WHEN PRICES DROP?

All stores vary when prices will drop because it depends on how well the inventory is selling. If selling fairly well the store could possibly stay open longer, if not, the store may close down earlier preventing any further discounts from happening. From what I've noticed most price drops happen once a week (days vary) and then the last two weeks they drop much quicker...every 3 days or so. Hope this info helps!

CURRENT LIQUIDATION GAME SALE INFO

The first 800 HWV store closings have finished and all stores are beginning the process over again. You will need to check in with your area store periodically about current discounts because each store is different. Current Speculation is that all stores will be closed within 10 weeks...so by July.

I do not have a master list of prices unfortunately. Most stores have gone through and price stickered the older games. There is a possibility of the newer games being price stickered as well, but until then, you will have to inquire about the price with the employee. Most prices for the newer games in the computer range between $30-$50 and then take whatever their current discount is off that price.

ALL other Deals at HWV Closing stores:

These discounts below are taken from my store's last week of closing. Just to give anyone an idea as to how low your store may go.

80% off Used DVDs higher than $14.99
80% off Used Rental Blu-Ray (range from $2-$5!)
80% off all Used Games including transferred Game Vault games
80% off all New Games
80% off Novelties (Toys, posters, game guides, board games)
80% off New DVDs
80% off New Blu-Ray
80% off Candy, Snack, & Drinks
80% off Accessories
80% off Hardware

$1.99 each Used New Release Rentals
.99 cents Core Collection DVD rentals or 6 for $5
$1.98 Core Collection Blu-Ray rentals
$1.99 Used DVDs priced $14.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $12.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $9.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $5.99

Used Games listed Under $29.99 in computer (YMMV)

:360:
50 Cent Blood on the Sand
Ace Combat 6
Afro Samurai
Alone In the Dark
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Beautiful Katamari
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Damnation
The Darkness
Dead Rising
Destroy All Humans Path of Furon
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fable II
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fight Night Round 4
Ghostbusters
Gears of War 2
GTA 4
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero World Tour
Halo 3
Halo Wars
HAWX
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
L4D
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
Mirror's Edge
Mortal Kombat vs DC
Ninja Blade
Ninja Gaiden
Overlord
Phantasy Star Universe
Prince of Persia
Prototype
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil 5
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Saints Row 2
Shaun White Snowboarding
Silent Hill Homecoming
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
Street Fighter 4
Tenchu Z
Terminator Salvation
Tetris Evolution
Timeshift
Tomb Raider Underworld
Too Human
Velvet Assassin
Vesperia
Vikings
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed
Bad Company
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Call of Juarez
Chronicles of Riddick
Civilization Revolution
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Dead Space
Destroy all Humans
Eternal Sonata
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fuel
Ghostbusters
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Grid
GTA 4
GT5 Prologue
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf out of bounds
Lord of the Rings Conquest
Metal Gear Solid 4
Midnight Club: LA
MLB 09 The Show
Mortal Kombat V DC
Need For Speed Carbon
Need For Speed Underground
Overlord
Pure
Ratchet & Clank Tools of the Future
Resident Evil 5
Resistance 2
Rock Band 2
Saints Row 2
Silent Hill Homecoming
Ski Doo Snowmobile Challenge
Sonic Unleashed
Soul Calibur 4
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
Street Fighter IV
Timeshift
Trivia Pursuit
Uncharted
Up
Virtua Tennis 3
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:wii:

Alone In the Dark

Big Brain Academy
Big League Sports
Bigs 2
Boom Blox I & II
Carnival Games
Conduit
Deadly Creatures
Dead Rising Chop
De Blob
Donkey Kong Barrel
Elebits
Family Feud
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Food Network
Ghostbusters
Ghost Squad
Guitar Hero World Tour
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
Indiana Jones (priced $12.99)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Mario & Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Power Tennis
Metal Slug Anthology
Mini Ninjas
Monkey King (Already $4.99)
My Sims Kingdom
Need For Speed: Proshift
Overlord
Press Your Luck
Price is Right I & II
Punch Out
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Sonic Black Knight
Soul Calibur Legends
Spongebob Truth or Square
Star Wars Light Saber Duels
Stars Wars The Clone Wars
Stars Wars The Complete Saga
Super Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia
Up
WarHawk
Wario Land Shake It
WarioWare Smooth Moves
Wii Music
Zack & Wiki ($9.99)

:ds:
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Animal Crossing Wild World
Call of Duty
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrrow
Digimon Wold Dawn
GTA China Town Wars
Harvest Moon
Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Lego Batman
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros
Nintendogs Dalmation, Lab, etc
Phoenix Wright
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Platinum
Professsor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Scribblenauts
Rhythm Heaven
Yoshi's Island

:psp:

Class of Heroes
Dissidia-Final Fantasy
FiFa Soccer '10
God of War
Motor Storm Arctic Edge
Patapon
Resistance
Sims 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars Force Unleashed

Hollywood Video Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a Hollywood Video Rental account in order to take advantage of any trades
- You must sign up for a new Hollywood Video account at every store you wish to trade at (Each store is separate)
- Employees cannot access your trading/purchase history from store to store
- You may get a price quote print out before you decide to trade-in any games
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your Hollywood Video account or onto a giftcard (Only in $5 increments)
- Trade-in credit can only be used on the account it is placed unless you take the giftcard option in which you may use it at any Hollywood Video/Game Crazy/Movie Gallery location

Any Forum Trades; please visit http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230651

Special Ordering Used or New Video Games

Beginning December 14th, ALL Hollywood Video stores will have the ability to place New & Used GAME Special Orders. Customers who cannot find games or accessories can place a Special Order and have it shipped from any Game Crazy/Game Zone store to their Hollywood Video for pick-up.

* Shipping Fee is $6.00 (Possibly per game if being shipped from different locations)
* Most Special Orders arrive within 7 days of ordering
* Outlet Stores do not participate in Special Orders, so YMMV on all stores.

Special Orders include:

Strategy Guides
New & Used Controllers
New & Used Games
New & Used cables, cords, and accessories
Toys & Figures

There is a list of product either on a waiting list or permanently out of stock; I may include this at a later point when I have more time. It's quite long.

Important notes (please read these before posting questions):

1) 99% of these deals will NOT work in a Game Crazy. They have their own deals; please refer to http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234882 These deals will also more than likely NOT work at a Hollywood Video with a Game Crazy attached! However, Movie Gallery may or may not have some of these same Game deals! "Movie Gallery bought Hollywood Video", hence the reason for some of the same sales at either HWV or MG.

2) Hollywood Video employees will need to scan a coupon code in order for any game to be discounted.

3) Hollywood Video's store hours vary from location to location, especially with all the store closings. Please call.

4) If you would like to contribute to any game deals, please when posting, include game, system, price, city and state.
For example:
Dragon Quest VIII, PS2, $4.99
Tampa, FL (Temple Terrace)

5) Hollywood Video's are mostly movie rental stores (games are not as important to them to keep up on), thus, always double check on sticker prices because 50% of the time they are probably stickered wrong. ;)

6) Do not trust the store locator at HollywoodVideo.com Google it and call first. That store might already be closed!

7) Hollywood Video does not do cash back if a game is damaged or you "already own it". Used games have a 90 day guarantee. You have a few options: swap for same title, swap for a different title if they do not have it, or using the disc buffer machine to try and fix the game. Hollywood Video also does disc buffing for personal items at a $1 per disc.

8) ALL sales are FINAL during the closing sale. Usually within the first few weeks of the sale if you do purchase something that does not work they MAY swap it for you. YMMV!!!

Previous HWV Thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235408

***I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions/adds to the OP! Either post here or even PM me if you'd like.
Thank you and I hope everyone finds some excellent deals!

Last edited by a moderator:
The current batch of Hollywood Video coupons expires on the 10th, as I mentioned, so expect a new round of clearances next week. I've heard that the clearance will increase every Thursday.

Oh, and only the Game Vault ones are for sale.. new release games are pulled and shipped back to the DC. If your store is playing by the rules, anyway.

[quote name='skinkrawl']Go easy on the guy.[/QUOTE]

Well, since you seem to be so giving of your time, maybe you want to go around and compare prices for him on all THIRTY SIX(that I counted) games that he listed?

No? I didn't think so.

Some of the info can EASILY be had by checking the first post of this thread and surfing over to Gamestop's website and cut/pasting games from the list.

But apparently, that's too much work for newbies, it's just easier to be lazy and ask.:roll:

Stopped in the liquidating HWV on my way home from work, and found that the PV movies were being sold for the same sale prices as listed in the O.P. (ie, 12.99 movies for 4.99, etc), no additional discount. Nearly everything else was 20% off, but PV movies at regular sale price. Go figure. Also, they were offering the back catalog rental DVDs (ie, non new releases) for $9.99 each. Seemed a bit high for me, and probably most. Whatever. It's a shame to see it go, but at the same time, this location hadn't had jack-squat for games since before Thanksgiving, virtually no new or used stock at all, except for some random old original xbox games and some DS shovelware.

[quote name='josh62488']To the uptight people on this forum...."why so serious?"[/QUOTE]

I'm looking through the CAG threads with that movie in my head! "Evening, Commissioner" :cool:

[quote name='josh62488']To the uptight people on this forum...."why so serious?"[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, sometimes it takes CAGS in Training longer to learn their place than others.

You have proven yourself to be an idiot and lazy in this Thread and the Toys R Us Thread. That's enough.

getting back on topic, i read a slickdeal forum because they have used clearance dvd deals like 3 for $10, 5 for $15, 8 for $20, and reports of this applying to games at one store said they're included in deal, nothing online yet about games tho, so B&M and def YMMV... (but they could have just there IS a sale on video games as well?) i'll investigate when i get off work in a few hours, theres 4 in my city

credit to ChemicalRomance if it is true (his report was on east coast)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Well, since you seem to be so giving of your time, maybe you want to go around and compare prices for him on all THIRTY SIX(that I counted) games that he listed?

No? I didn't think so.

Some of the info can EASILY be had by checking the first post of this thread and surfing over to Gamestop's website and cut/pasting games from the list.

But apparently, that's too much work for newbies, it's just easier to be lazy and ask.:roll:[/QUOTE]

a) Don't ask me a question and then post a reply for me.

b) Just because someone is new, don't be rude to them. Show the newer people the right way to go about things and they'll learn. A lot of people who sign up for forums like this never interact because those who have been on them forever jump their ass over any stupid question (and sometimes new people have to ask a few stupid questions to get the lay of the land). You lose potential deal finders because you're rude to them or because others simply don't want to post when they read that stuff.

c) No, I'm not going to find the answers for the guy, but I'd much rather say "Hey man, here's the easy way you can, good luck!" than snapping at him.

Try not to practice a holier than thou attitude because you've posted on an Internet forum for longer. We're all here to have fun and score deals (at least I am). This shouldn't be taken too seriously. Relax.

honestly, lol we don't need any more deal finders. Most sales at CAG are YMMV, so a lot of rules and policies depend on the site. If you want to know, its best just to go to the actual store and try it out instead of being lazy and expecting people to know it all. This is not a site where everyone inclines to help. Sometimes its best to do it yourself instead of making remarks that get flamed by others in this online community.

So does that mean that everyone who recently signed up should just keep any deal they find to themselves? If I go to a YMMV store and find a great selection of cheap games, should I skip posting it on here so that others in my area might enjoy a deal?

Well maybe since the guy just signed up, he needs to ask a few questions to figure it all out. There's a lot on this site to take in; it took me a couple months of going through the forums to digest even part of what this site has to offer.

I'm not saying he was right and that someone should have done his work for him, but I am saying that the replies could have been a bit more helpful/polite to get him going in the right direction.

My local Hollywood Video is finally gonna close. They've thrown up a bunch of 20-50% of everything signs. Lady their told me she had no idea when the store would actually be closing though. I didn't end up buying much at all as it seemed like everything was only 20% off. Anyone with firsthand experiance know when it's likely that prices will be slashed further?

I went to a local HWV that is closing and yeah the games are 20%. The selection is extremely limited atm. They said sometime next week they'll take down and price some of the rentals so I'll check back then.

[quote name='jmarano7836']getting back on topic, i read a slickdeal forum because they have used clearance dvd deals like 3 for $10, 5 for $15, 8 for $20, and reports of this applying to games at one store said they're included in deal, nothing online yet about games tho, so B&M and def YMMV... (but they could have just there IS a sale on video games as well?) i'll investigate when i get off work in a few hours, theres 4 in my city

credit to ChemicalRomance if it is true (his report was on east coast)[/QUOTE]

What probably happened was someone from SD got an employee to try a DVD only barcode for a deal on games and much like the prior $5 sales for games $29.99 and under the barcode worked on anything in the store.

That's what happened with the $4.99 game sale barcode, was that it worked on NEW games and I believe it worked on ANY new game, regardless of price.

Unfortunately, no one is that lax at any of my local HWV stores, so this is a super huge YMMV on getting that to work.

....oh goodness...so much arguing in my thread! :whistle2:$

[quote name='jmarano7836']getting back on topic, i read a slickdeal forum because they have used clearance dvd deals like 3 for $10, 5 for $15, 8 for $20, and reports of this applying to games at one store said they're included in deal, nothing online yet about games tho, so B&M and def YMMV... (but they could have just there IS a sale on video games as well?) i'll investigate when i get off work in a few hours, theres 4 in my city

credit to ChemicalRomance if it is true (his report was on east coast)[/QUOTE]

I saw this deal over at slickdeals and didn't post it here because it deals with previously viewed movies. ...plus this deal is only online...not in stores. and yea...does not apply to video games.

[quote name='killthemall4444']My local Hollywood Video is finally gonna close. They've thrown up a bunch of 20-50% of everything signs. Lady their told me she had no idea when the store would actually be closing though. I didn't end up buying much at all as it seemed like everything was only 20% off. Anyone with firsthand experiance know when it's likely that prices will be slashed further?[/QUOTE]

YMMV...it depends on each store. Every district has a different liquidator who deals with when the prices go down. From my experience it has usually been every Sunday/Monday...but I'll check.

....I haven't been to my store since Wednesday so I don't have any new info...Sorry! I feel bad...been so busy with other stuff. I'll be calling tomorrow and I'll ask some details so I can give you guys some more info.

Thanks for the update IATCG and superdawn, i actually could not even GET IN to the store, as i guess they're rent has not been paid, and landlord locked down with bars and chains the store lol... they have 60 days to pay it and get stuff tho, so hope it all works out, and they're still 2 or 3 other ones in my area i havn't tried yet...

HWV on Grant in Tucson,AZ is location that's locked, just to save anyone else time

Updated op with current info....as many already reported... 20% off rental games that are not a new release. (as they are still renting the new games). Older rental movies are also $9.99 right now. New release movies are still being rented.

[quote name='jmarano7836']Thanks for the update IATCG and superdawn, i actually could not even GET IN to the store, as i guess they're rent has not been paid, and landlord locked down with bars and chains the store lol... they have 60 days to pay it and get stuff tho, so hope it all works out, and they're still 2 or 3 other ones in my area i havn't tried yet...

HWV on Grant in Tucson,AZ is location that's locked, just to save anyone else time[/QUOTE]

Landlords have to be very careful with this stuff. Bankruptcies have certain protections including prohibitions against collection efforts and a 45 day automatic stay of all litigations (with a few exceptions). My point is if they were served with the Bankruptcy notice and then locked them out it could get very costly for the landlord.

My local HWV hasn't paid its rent for 6 months, one of the workers told me. She said they were trying to negotiate a rent decrease. They may get shut down before they ever pay rent again.

I went to HWV today and saw that all the "Game Vault" games (older ones), were 20 percent off. The problem was, they had no price tags on them, so I couldn't determine if there were any good buys. I'd have to take a stack of games up to the register, and the girl was busy enough as it is.

Basically, I'm just wondering if there might be any decent 360 or PS3 games that are $9.99 or $14.99 or something. Anything priced higher than that probably isn't worth the drama.

It's too bad their prices aren't more similar to Blockbuster. Blockbuster actually has quite a few decent games for $9.99, and if I could buy them for 20 percent off, I'd definitely pick up a few of them, but I don't think HWV has very many $9.99 games that are worth a damn.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to wait till they hit 40 percent off. At 40 percent off, I can start considering the $19.99 ones, and maybe even a few $24.99 ones.

[quote name='Anthony1']I went to HWV today and saw that all the "Game Vault" games (older ones), were 20 percent off. The problem was, they had no price tags on them, so I couldn't determine if there were any good buys. I'd have to take a stack of games up to the register, and the girl was busy enough as it is.

Basically, I'm just wondering if there might be any decent 360 or PS3 games that are $9.99 or $14.99 or something. Anything priced higher than that probably isn't worth the drama.

It's too bad their prices aren't more similar to Blockbuster. Blockbuster actually has quite a few decent games for $9.99, and if I could buy them for 20 percent off, I'd definitely pick up a few of them, but I don't think HWV has very many $9.99 games that are worth a damn.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to wait till they hit 40 percent off. At 40 percent off, I can start considering the $19.99 ones, and maybe even a few $24.99 ones.[/QUOTE]

thats exactly how my store is...annoying how they have that broken system...how they expect to sell um...when people dont know the price lol

my local store said their sales wont start for a week, try calling and asking about them closing.

its going to be like CC, the deals wont roll in for awhile

I went to the only hollywood video with a game crazy in san diego. They had all their game vault games 20% off

xbox 360

Blue Dragon 19.XX
Amped 3 16.xx
Dead space 19.XX

i had to bring them up to the register to get prices

not good prices yet considering my GS has blue dragon for 9.99

Yeah, the problem with these going out of business sales, is that they won't be anywhere near as good as when the $4.99 deal was going on. If you get a $29.99 game for $4.99, that means you're getting it for 80 percent off. It will be a very long time before any of the HWV's start giving 80 percent discounts on everything, and by the time they do, there won't be anything left over anyways.

Basically, I think maybe when they hit 40 percent or 50 percent off, there might be a couple of games floating around that might be decent values at that point, but the great unwashed seem to just be blown away by these going out of business sales, and they jump all over any little discount. It's the primary reason those oriental rug places have going out of business sales every single week. It's because the store traffic probably increases by a factor of 10, just because people drive by and see the "STORE CLOSING" sign, and think they are going to score some amazing deal. They end up walking all around the store for a half hour, and don't really find any decent deals, but because they spent so long in the damn store, they feel like they have to buy something, so they end up buying something they might have actually gotten cheaper somewhere else had they just shopped around. It's pretty depressing.

All my local stores are going under, feel bad for the employees losing their jobs. Nothing really good on sale yet, so far sales just knocking the already inflated prices down to average prices pretty much everywhere else.

I noticed a nearby Hollywood Video had all sorts of store closing signs. I've yet to check in and see if there are any really good deals, but I might have a look before they are completely closed down.

...yea, its just too tough to go around and price sticker all the used rental games! That would take a good chunk of time...and like some have said...the employees are too busy at the register. At my store we've been pretty much dead the last 6 months...and on saturday we had lines 7-10 people deep! its been pretty ridiculous...and yes, lots of people who I have never even seen before. So its true most just come in when they see a closing sale sign.

[quote name='Dhuk']So have the liquidators taken over all the HW videos?[/QUOTE]

Not all the stores. Only 805 are closing in this round. I'm sure by the end of the year all hwv's will be closed tho.

I just got back from running some errands and stopped in while I was out. I left pretty disappointed and heartbroken. I was only hoping to find some older PS3 titles that already retail very low (Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Burnout Paradise). I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to take a stack to the register to price check b/c all of the used rentals were priced as used copies, but they had been picked over big time. Not much left. The games I wanted were already gone. Prices were pretty much a couple of bucks off of retail. Basically what you would see at Gamestop. At this rate it isn't going to be near as good as the $4.99 used deal. I would plan on not finding anything under $10. Also used bluray were $16. Also not what I would consider a good deal. Damn all of those store closing signs. At least the liquidation company knows what they are doing.

I'm sorry if this question has been asked but...does anyone know what the rare games are from this generation? Buying those are the only way I can see a purchase being a positive one at these prices. I saw Beautiful Katamari, and that would certainly be an example of one. Any others?

[quote name='shoe478']I got Beautiful Katamari for $15 after the 20% discount.[/QUOTE]
FYI, it's $6.99 used at Blockbuster Video if you can find a copy.

I got GTA IV for 16 bucks at my local (closing) HWV. I think I heard the cashier say that buying the games used for rentals costing twice what it is to rent them. However I called over to confirm this and they just said that the price varies between the games. Idk what to think anymore...

anyways a rare game would be valkyria chronicles I think.

[quote name='Mediamessiah']I got GTA IV for 16 bucks at my local (closing) HWV. I think I heard the cashier say that buying the games used for rentals costing twice what it is to rent them. However I called over to confirm this and they just said that the price varies between the games. Idk what to think anymore...

anyways a rare game would be valkyria chronicles I think.[/QUOTE]

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=64299

[quote name='Mediamessiah']I got GTA IV for 16 bucks at my local (closing) HWV. I think I heard the cashier say that buying the games used for rentals costing twice what it is to rent them. However I called over to confirm this and they just said that the price varies between the games. Idk what to think anymore...

anyways a rare game would be valkyria chronicles I think.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='thatswhatshesaid']http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=64299[/QUOTE]

Wow MM, you are just swinging and missing tonight.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=4058

[quote name='super_dawn']

Not all the stores. Only 805 are closing in this round. I'm sure by the end of the year all hwv's will be closed tho.[/QUOTE]

none of them are making money? none of them?

i guess they are really losing out to netflix and blockbuster.com(and cable tv, and whatnot)

edit, and youtube

[quote name='dracula']none of them are making money? none of them?

i guess they are really losing out to netflix and blockbuster.com(and cable tv, and whatnot)

edit, and youtube[/QUOTE]

No. I highly doubt any of them are making money. HWV may have survived if it wasn't for MG buying them. but after the merge it just got worse and worse... they just didn't do anything to compete with the new ways of getting rentals.

In the last year...most days I'd work my entire shift and make under $100. That really doesn't cover much... its hard for the regulars to stay loyal to hwv too (having a subscription pass) when they don't know when and if the doors will be locked the next time they try to come by.

[quote name='bjstucker']Mine is closing as well only at 20% was hoping to find Yakuza 2 but only found the first for 6$[/QUOTE]

Any idea how much they sell Yakuza 2 for? I saw one at my store, but the line to checkout was half way the length of the store so I didn't bother.

I finally went to my local HWV today and they were in the process of putting out all the Game Vault games for sale (new releases are still for rent and not for sale). It is 20% off used games of course. I was talking to the manager and he confirmed what I suspected - people are stupid and buy up tons of crap because it is "clearanced" or "liquidated" and they've sold a ton of games at the 20% off mark. The funny thing is I saw people with armfuls of games that were there before the sale started and at that time were B1G1 (for $14.99 and under). They didn't buy them then, but will buy them now at 20% off (and no B1G1 any more at this store). I have a hard time looking at any of the games for purchase when I was used to getting them for $4.99. Even if anything makes it to 50% off I'd be hesitant. And by the way people around here are behaving I doubt much will be around then.

bread's done
Back