Official NHL 10 CAG Team REBOOT - CheapyD All Stars - Hockey Night Fridays @ 8-12 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah- I got on the computer for a while and saw that Nate and DarkTower were still playing at 6 A.M. Eastern. I'm shocked that Nate stayed on that long. Apparently, he was having fun, so that's good. I just wish I had checked sooner so I could have rejoined.

How did you guys do? I expect exact scores, opponent names, +/- for each player, and number of fights.

Just kidding... but really, how did you do?

When I hopped on, we went 3-5. Xbox was probably doing that stupid thing where it doesn't show me pop up online.

3 losses were 1-goal losses, one more would have been a one goal loss but the A.I gave up a penalty shot at the end of the game, and one game, we all lost focus thanks to one player's name: My Clue Is So Hard. Other than that, one goal where we demolished some red vs blue fanboys, a game where we barely beat out glitchers, and a game where we mounted a 3(?) goal comeback against some glitchers and made them quit with 1 second left.

Also, it's not like I memorized everything. Just using our page for reference:
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/clubs/762A0001/104921/match-results

[quote name='Matt Young']Oh yeah- I got on the computer for a while and saw that Nate and DarkTower were still playing at 6 A.M. Eastern. I'm shocked that Nate stayed on that long. Apparently, he was having fun, so that's good. I just wish I had checked sooner so I could have rejoined.

How did you guys do? I expect exact scores, opponent names, +/- for each player, and number of fights.

Just kidding... but really, how did you do?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, Alan (moojuice for any of the newer people who don't know who I'm talking about) got on late, and it was me, him, and Darktower left. From that point on, we really started playing well. I felt like I had to wade through the first four hours of crap play to finally get some decent games in.

My feeling on next week being the "last CAG Hockey Night" had more to do with the way the night started out. With other games that are already out and games that are coming out soon, I don't have the patience to waste 4 hours trying to get this team to get its shit together and play right. It may sound dumb, but at 500 games played, if we're not going to play well, I don't want to play. I'm just going to be honest and hope that people don't get too offended.

There was a HUGE difference in the games the 1st forward line played last night and the games Darktower, Alan, and I played. There is NO EXCUSE for giving up a 7 minute edge in time on attack. It's pathetic and it makes the games a waste of time. Yeah, we might get lucky and the score could be close, but that sure as hell isn't from "playing a good game". Whoever is on the forward line needs to make better passes and work the puck around.

This includes passing back to the point and taking good shots rather than just rifling a slapshot at the goalie the second you cross the blue line. If the defense is standing you up right away, get creative. Circle the puck back and start over. Pass it back to a defenseman who can hit a winger on the other side of the ice who might be able to carry it into the zone. In short, be smarter.

As I said, I'm being honest. Matt, Kaster, and Destro, you guys turned the puck over way too much last night. Either by skating right into a defender or making bad passes, we spent half the night just giving the puck away. Kaster seemed to pick up on it though because he mentioned about switching his camera so he could actually see where his teammates are.

That's seriously the biggest thing you can do to correct this problem. There are a lot of cameras that give you a pretty full view of the zone, but in my opinion, the one that is the least shocking to the system when moving from the default BAP camera is the Ice cam with auto zoom on, and having the camera follow the puck (press "back" to switch). This keeps things in close for faceoffs and doesn't pull too far back the rest of the time. The BAP camera just won't hack it against human opponents.

As for any issues with Magic, maybe it's because I turned my mic off for one game, but he really didn't bother me that much and I thought he did a decent job in goal. Yeah, he had a few gaffes, but it's not like the people playing in front of him were much better. He really didn't get lit up in that game against Montreal until Darktower and I stopped trying on defense because the forward line wasn't getting anything done.

I've said it many times, I don't mind playing defense, but the forward line has to make things happen...and you're not going to make anything happen getting 0:38 time on attack per period. I'd say switch up and let other people play forward, but if you're worse at defense, that doesn't help the team either. I will say that Darktower generates way too many points to not have on the forward line though. I think he had 3 hat tricks last night alone. It's stupid to waste that kind of a production on a defensive position if you're never going to get him the puck anyway. Same thing with Alan. His skills are wasted on defense if you don't get him the puck.

But with the stark difference in play between the groups (almost every single game Alan, Darktower, and I played WE had a time on attack advantage...and I think our worst deficit was 2 minutes), I feel like the only other "solution" is having an "A Squad" and a "B Squad". That concept may piss some people off, but it wasn't a coincidence that when it was me, Darktower, and Alan playing, we played well. I'm not even going to say we're just "better" than everybody else. But we played right...and that alone gave us a chance in every single game we played.

Sorry this is so long, but whoever didn't take the time to read it, I probably don't want to play with you anyway. I know that's a dick thing to say, but at this point, I really don't care.

[quote name='moojuice']
Also, it's not like I memorized everything. Just using our page for reference:
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/clubs/762A0001/104921/match-results[/QUOTE]

Holy crap. I didn't know such a thing existed!

As for what you said, Nate- yes, I did turn the puck over too much last night. But I think I'm decent in general- more so at center or D than wing- and I usually do well when playing with you, Alan, and DarkTower especially. More often than not, I'm pretty good at faceoffs, poke checking (not so much body checking, but my rating is in the 60s for that) and setting people up in the zone. I'm also pretty sure I average more blocks per game than anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, be that as it may...the point still stands. The TEAM needs to collectively play better and do the things it takes to win games. Actually, I could go for a few games right now if anyone is available and wants to play right. I went 4-5 in my last 9 games last night...which to me is pretty retarded since that was during my 5-7 hour of play and was from 3-6 AM. To me that says a lot for how bad we were early.

I almost want to try an experiment of pointing out everything we do wrong when we play...and of course include myself in that so it's not biased in any way. I don't know if that would help or just piss people off though.

Yeah, I could go for a couple of games right now. It's nice to see that you guys picked up the pieces from last night, and Nate's idea for pointing out each other's faults sounds like it could work.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, be that as it may...the point still stands. The TEAM needs to collectively play better and do the things it takes to win games. Actually, I could go for a few games right now if anyone is available and wants to play right. I went 4-5 in my last 9 games last night...which to me is pretty retarded since that was during my 5-7 hour of play and was from 3-6 AM. To me that says a lot for how bad we were early.

I almost want to try an experiment of pointing out everything we do wrong when we play...and of course include myself in that so it's not biased in any way. I don't know if that would help or just piss people off though.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't piss me off, so long as you weren't rude about it. I don't think you would be.

Would you agree with my self-assessment?

Man... I played a few games with some non-CAG friends, and we were kicking ass for a few games. Then, after 1 of my 2 friends got off, Steve and I played one more game. Our team was the worst team ever. Well, actually, the other team was worse... but they won due to our team sucking.

Our goalie was about as good as I am at that position- which is to say, terrible. The forwards kept rushing into the slot when there were 2-3 men in front of them, and they never once passed it out to us d-men.

I finally got sick of it and went to the in game chat. This is how it went:

Me: "You know, when there are 2-3 guys in ront of you, it's probably a good idea to pass it out to one of us on the point."

Teammate: "The fuck you talkin' 'bout? You on defense, n****. You ain't s'posed to be shootin'."

Me: "God damn it..."

*quits*

Random players suck.

I could try playing D for a while if you guys want to go with the "A" forward lineup. Nate, I don't think that anyone should get offended by you pointing out our flaws, if anything we don't do it enough. I think you're right, once we take it into the offensive zone we need to pass the puck more. I'm still trying to get the hang of online, BAP single player is way different.

Pointing out in-game where our defensive issues are, for example, will allow us to focus what we're doing wrong. I think splitting into two teams is a pretty good idea, so those of us with less experience can get a feel for what to do.

If someone gets offended by constructive criticism, then they don't need to be here. But I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we're working to improve.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, well, Alan (moojuice for any of the newer people who don't know who I'm talking about) got on late, and it was me, him, and Darktower left. From that point on, we really started playing well. I felt like I had to wade through the first four hours of crap play to finally get some decent games in.

My feeling on next week being the "last CAG Hockey Night" had more to do with the way the night started out. With other games that are already out and games that are coming out soon, I don't have the patience to waste 4 hours trying to get this team to get its shit together and play right. It may sound dumb, but at 500 games played, if we're not going to play well, I don't want to play. I'm just going to be honest and hope that people don't get too offended.

There was a HUGE difference in the games the 1st forward line played last night and the games Darktower, Alan, and I played. There is NO EXCUSE for giving up a 7 minute edge in time on attack. It's pathetic and it makes the games a waste of time. Yeah, we might get lucky and the score could be close, but that sure as hell isn't from "playing a good game". Whoever is on the forward line needs to make better passes and work the puck around.

This includes passing back to the point and taking good shots rather than just rifling a slapshot at the goalie the second you cross the blue line. If the defense is standing you up right away, get creative. Circle the puck back and start over. Pass it back to a defenseman who can hit a winger on the other side of the ice who might be able to carry it into the zone. In short, be smarter.

As I said, I'm being honest. Matt, Kaster, and Destro, you guys turned the puck over way too much last night. Either by skating right into a defender or making bad passes, we spent half the night just giving the puck away. Kaster seemed to pick up on it though because he mentioned about switching his camera so he could actually see where his teammates are.

That's seriously the biggest thing you can do to correct this problem. There are a lot of cameras that give you a pretty full view of the zone, but in my opinion, the one that is the least shocking to the system when moving from the default BAP camera is the Ice cam with auto zoom on, and having the camera follow the puck (press "back" to switch). This keeps things in close for faceoffs and doesn't pull too far back the rest of the time. The BAP camera just won't hack it against human opponents.

As for any issues with Magic, maybe it's because I turned my mic off for one game, but he really didn't bother me that much and I thought he did a decent job in goal. Yeah, he had a few gaffes, but it's not like the people playing in front of him were much better. He really didn't get lit up in that game against Montreal until Darktower and I stopped trying on defense because the forward line wasn't getting anything done.

I've said it many times, I don't mind playing defense, but the forward line has to make things happen...and you're not going to make anything happen getting 0:38 time on attack per period. I'd say switch up and let other people play forward, but if you're worse at defense, that doesn't help the team either. I will say that Darktower generates way too many points to not have on the forward line though. I think he had 3 hat tricks last night alone. It's stupid to waste that kind of a production on a defensive position if you're never going to get him the puck anyway. Same thing with Alan. His skills are wasted on defense if you don't get him the puck.

But with the stark difference in play between the groups (almost every single game Alan, Darktower, and I played WE had a time on attack advantage...and I think our worst deficit was 2 minutes), I feel like the only other "solution" is having an "A Squad" and a "B Squad". That concept may piss some people off, but it wasn't a coincidence that when it was me, Darktower, and Alan playing, we played well. I'm not even going to say we're just "better" than everybody else. But we played right...and that alone gave us a chance in every single game we played.

Sorry this is so long, but whoever didn't take the time to read it, I probably don't want to play with you anyway. I know that's a dick thing to say, but at this point, I really don't care.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't wanna go on the defense of my own play, but I didn't think I had that bad of two games (and I have had a few BRUTAL nights where I couldn't do anything right)..

And last time I played, I had 4 goals and 3 assists on the first 7 goals we scored, I actually thought I fit right into the mix that night.

I don't mind the constructive criticism at all, but just know that I'm the kind of person who doesn't mind it and if you see me doing something that isn't helping out, or not conducive to the team, just tell me on the mic, that's why it's there, to communicate what we need to as a team.

The only thing I can't help a lot of the time is when I pass it just as I get a guy on me and it doesn't then let me pass, on my nights where I'm really playing bad, that seems to happen a whole hell of a lot.

Lastly, as far as positions go, I'm really only comfortable with LW or C... I'm not strong enough on D but I'd play it if need be.

[quote name='DestroVega']Well, I don't wanna go on the defense of my own play, but I didn't think I had that bad of two games (and I have had a few BRUTAL nights where I couldn't do anything right)..

And last time I played, I had 4 goals and 3 assists on the first 7 goals we scored, I actually thought I fit right into the mix that night.

I don't mind the constructive criticism at all, but just know that I'm the kind of person who doesn't mind it and if you see me doing something that isn't helping out, or not conducive to the team, just tell me on the mic, that's why it's there, to communicate what we need to as a team.

The only thing I can't help a lot of the time is when I pass it just as I get a guy on me and it doesn't then let me pass, on my nights where I'm really playing bad, that seems to happen a whole hell of a lot.

Lastly, as far as positions go, I'm really only comfortable with LW or C... I'm not strong enough on D but I'd play it if need be.[/QUOTE]

I think our standards are just different. Like I said, I've put in 500 games online, and I can't enjoy myself allowing the other team to completely dominate us in time on attack. Even against the "really good teams", with the right strategy, there's no reason we can't hold our own.

To me, time on attack is the only stat I care about in this game anymore. Considering the amount of stupid goals that are scored, it's the only real barometer of how well we're playing. Yeah, there will be some teams who are so bad, we'll get away with the run & gun play, and will score 5 goals on them because their defense is terrible. But I attribute games like that more to them being bad than us being good.

The truth is, most of the people who are still playing this game this late into the year know their shit. We're not going to beat them by taking advantage of soft spots in the game's programming. So, unless we're just going to rely on luck to win games, we need to control the puck and try to make sure that we have more scoring opportunities than they do. Work the puck around and take good, open shots. You're only as good as your teammates.

The last thing I'll point out is that you say you can only play C or LW...and Magicking really only likes playing LW (or Goalie, I guess). So, this means that any time you guys are playing together, 2 forward spots are pretty much locked up. If you want me to play defense in those kinds of games you need to get me involved in the offense. I'm not saying "you better let me score!" What I mean is, the team will not win if you make our opposition only have to cover 3 people. And that happens way too much with certain people in this game.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I think our standards are just different. Like I said, I've put in 500 games online, and I can't enjoy myself allowing the other team to completely dominate us in time on attack. Even against the "really good teams", with the right strategy, there's no reason we can't hold our own.

To me, time on attack is the only stat I care about in this game anymore. Considering the amount of stupid goals that are scored, it's the only real barometer of how well we're playing. Yeah, there will be some teams who are so bad, we'll get away with the run & gun play, and will score 5 goals on them because their defense is terrible. But I attribute games like that more to them being bad than us being good.

The truth is, most of the people who are still playing this game this late into the year know their shit. We're not going to beat them by taking advantage of soft spots in the game's programming. So, unless we're just going to rely on luck to win games, we need to control the puck and try to make sure that we have more scoring opportunities than they do. Work the puck around and take good, open shots. You're only as good as your teammates.

The last thing I'll point out is that you say you can only play C or LW...and Magicking really only likes playing LW (or Goalie, I guess). So, this means that any time you guys are playing together, 2 forward spots are pretty much locked up. If you want me to play defense in those kinds of games you need to get me involved in the offense. I'm not saying "you better let me score!" What I mean is, the team will not win if you make our opposition only have to cover 3 people. And that happens way too much with certain people in this game.[/QUOTE]

I have no problems getting D into the offense, I think shooting from the points is a great way to create chances. Passing back to the point is definitely vital.

Like I said before, I don't consider myself a scoring dynamo, but I know the game (I play hockey as well) and I don't think I'm terrible at the video game version. If there is a bad stigma attached to me and the way I play OTP, I have been clueless to it before now.

But again, I don't mind you telling me and pointing these things out in game, I'm not gonna take offense to it, because again, I play hockey... that same thing happens on my team, and usually people aren't even nice about it. Feel free to voice it.

And as far as the positions go, I just know that I'm a weaker player on D.. but maybe I am weaker on O than I previously thought.

[quote name='DestroVega']I have no problems getting D into the offense, I think shooting from the points is a great way to create chances. Passing back to the point is definitely vital.

Like I said before, I don't consider myself a scoring dynamo, but I know the game (I play hockey as well) and I don't think I'm terrible at the video game version. If there is a bad stigma attached to me and the way I play OTP, I have been clueless to it before now.

But again, I don't mind you telling me and pointing these things out in game, I'm not gonna take offense to it, because again, I play hockey... that same thing happens on my team, and usually people aren't even nice about it. Feel free to voice it.

And as far as the positions go, I just know that I'm a weaker player on D.. but maybe I am weaker on O than I previously thought.[/QUOTE]

No, I wasn't trying to single you out specifcally. I know you only played a couple games, so maybe you didn't get into the flow. My original point was just that the forward line that we played much of the first several hours with Friday night (which basically involved you, Magicking, KasterDB and Matt Young), couldn't get anything going. So it got ridiculously frustrating playing defense behind them. That's all I'm saying. Collectively, the forward line needs to improve.

I hear you, and I'm agreeing. But I just hope people don't mind people told in game what needs to be done to get more chances, play better together. I don't, so fire away next time we play.

I'm practicing playing on D so that the forward line can improve. I haven't been able to produce much playing as a forward, especially when I know that Nate and Darktower are much better at making things happen at a forward position.

I'm all for making the team better, keeping people, like me, at wing when Darktower is just sitting on D with no opportunity to score is plain counterproductive. I'd like to move back to D so that others can take my winger spot and see how it goes. If I turn out to be terrible there too, then I guess we can figure out something else. I know that if you more experienced guys play forward, you'll be better at passing out to the point than the current setup. But yeah, like Destro, I definitely don't have a problem with you pointing out what we're doing wrong.

I really wish they would add in the ability to have different player classes to choose from. I wouldn't mind working on a skill class for a solid D-man but it is such a pain to have to go back and redo all the attribute points whenever you want to play a different position that I just don't mess with it.

[quote name='DarkTower80']I really wish they would add in the ability to have different player classes to choose from. I wouldn't mind working on a skill class for a solid D-man but it is such a pain to have to go back and redo all the attribute points whenever you want to play a different position that I just don't mess with it.[/QUOTE]

Yup, and I'm sure there's no way EA will ever think of something like that. What that would entail is recognizing that some teams want to play real hockey online, and actually have players well suited for those positions. I think that goes against everything OTP was created for, lol. But yeah, I don't switch my stats when I jump back to D anymore. I've still got good speed, good slapshot power and accuracy, and I just rely on "playing smart" to take care of the rest. I could probably be a little more effective if I changed my stats, but like you said, it's a pain in the ass.

But it's encouraging to hear that people are open to making themselves better. I felt dumb bringing it up this late into the game's life, but like I said, most of the people left playing this game are hockey nuts (look at all the Montreal teams we run into). Even after all the games we've played, this is probably the time when our weaknesses get exposed the most. And I think if we want to keep playing, it's something we need to work on.

I'm by no means an expert defenseman. Alan could give much better advice on this than I can, but when I play defense, I mostly just try to get in the other team's way and screw up what they're trying to do. You can assess pretty early on how the team is going to play. If they're cherry pickers, you're going to have a miserable time because you'll really never get in on a play on offense because you should be staying back guarding the asshat who doesn't want to play properly.

Don't fall in love with hits. Hits are vastly overrated in this game. Most of the time, a pokecheck or even a LB knee will break up a play. Exceptions are probably on cross crease attempts. I still get burned on these from time to time because I put too much faith in the game recognizing that I'm positioned properly, and that it'll let me break up the play. I've had passes go right by my stick, and then I think checking the guy probably would have been the better move. But then you have to worry about penalties too, so it's really a judgment call. I'd say the most important thing is your positioning though. No one is going to get mad at you if you were in the right spot and the game just decided you should get beat. That happens to all of us.

Another thing to remember, defenseman shouldn't be carrying the burden alone. Forwards need to play defense too...ESPECIALLY if we run into a glitching team. Simply put, we can't let those teams breathe. The second they cross the blue line, the forwards should be all over them. Just be careful loading up on checks. Just harrass the shit out of them. Small checks, poke checks, stick lift, anything. Even if they're not glitching, we gotta be careful giving room near the faceoff circles as well because of how easily slapshots go in due to horrible AI goalie positioning. This isn't really a problem with a human goalie. But when we have to rely on the AI for anything in this game, it basically means we have to play three times better.

Again, it goes back to assessing how the other team is trying to play. Some teams glitch, some teams cross crease, some teams cherry pick, some teams just rifle point shots and let the AI grab rebounds (the hardest of all to defend in my opinion), and then about 1 out of 30 games, you get a team who actually mixes up their play style and plays real hockey. But I'd say 99% of the time, a team will just do one of the above things for the entire game. We just need to be smart enough to recognize it and stop it.

What's crazy is "forcing" somebody to play defense shouldn't have as much of a stigma as its gotten in this game. The defensemen should really be just as big of a part of the attack as anybody. We just need to utilize them better.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']The last thing I'll point out is that you say you can only play C or LW...and Magicking really only likes playing LW (or Goalie, I guess). So, this means that any time you guys are playing together, 2 forward spots are pretty much locked up. If you want me to play defense in those kinds of games you need to get me involved in the offense. I'm not saying "you better let me score!" What I mean is, the team will not win if you make our opposition only have to cover 3 people. And that happens way too much with certain people in this game.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure I've said that I don't mind D. If you would of let me know that we had someone playing D that could jump-start the fowards, I would of jumped back. Next week, I'll play back on D/Goalie and leave at least one more foward position open.

[quote name='Magicking610']I'm sure I've said that I don't mind D. If you would of let me know that we had someone playing D that could jump-start the fowards, I would of jumped back. Next week, I'll play back on D/Goalie and leave at least one more foward position open.[/QUOTE]

Um, i'm sure you've been the most adamant about not playing D.

[quote name='moojuice']Um, i'm sure you've been the most adamant about not playing D.[/QUOTE]
Well then, that's going to change. I'm checking different builds out and I'm going to try a few of them when I get a chance.

You don't need to change your player build after every game. Nate and I are both pretty good at D, and we still use the same setups. Mine's a playmaker, and I average more blocked shots than anyone on the team.

So after you guys left, me, Destro and Alan played a game. A short way into it Alan lagged out so it was just Destro playing center and me at RD. Naturally, we won 4-1. Luckiest win ever, they had about 5 posts and one of Destro's goals got kicked in by the AI goalie's skate. Then the Flyers went and destroyed the Habs...pretty good day!

hey fellas, testing the waters for tomorrow night...

I should be on around 8:30-8:45... definitely not long after 9.

Depending on who plays, I'll try to start up front, but if anyone deems it better for me, even after a game or two and isn't impressed with my play, I would try some D even though I'm not as comfortable back there.

Hopefully we can just all work together and talk it out if you see some problems with the team play... see ya tomorrow.

Nate, AntiVenom360 (venom on CAG) would like an invite to the team, if that's okay. Also, I will be playing tomorrow night, and will gladly play D.

I'll definitely be there tomorrow.

As for the NHL 11 promises, I'm not buying any of the hype this year. Player reviews during the first week the game is out will be the only thing to convince me. Last year, they brought in the "top teams" to make sure all the glitches were gone, remember? Also, a goalie expert was brought in to make sure the goalie played his position properly and utilized the poke check to stop cross crease passes.

What we got was a goalie playing so far out of the net a simple slap shot can beat him 75% of the time, and an overaggressive goalie who gets himself out of position and can't seem to figure out when to and when to not cover the puck. I do think a new engine is needed to fix these things, but we'll see if they get it right.

I would love to see Darktower's suggestion that whenever somebody tries do a glitch shot, their stick breaks. That would be poetic justice.

Ditto for me. Don't anticipate any reason why I won't be there. I can tell you that I'd actually prefer playing D, I feel that I'm more effective there, so yeah.

NHL 11. Yep. I'm torn about it right now, when is it supposed to come out?

Will be on maybe an hour or two after start time.

Unless there i some amazing deal on NHL 11, I'll wait. Right now the only thing making me want 11 is the fact the Avs might have a respectable rating next season in the game.

A bummer most of the hardcore users have a wait and see approach for next year, but I understand somewhat.

be there around 830-845ish... not much past 9 at the latest.

Maybe this year the goalie will go out to center ice to cut down the angles :D

If Amazon does a super deal I might preorder but it would have to be along the lines of Alan Wake ($49.99 plus $10 credit) for me to even consider it.

Yeah, I'd say $40 or less would get me thinking about it. EA would even earn some of my respect if they just came out and said "We screwed up last year by not being able to fix the glitch shot. That won't happen again." I still wouldn't believe it until I saw it, but it would be nice if they'd acknowledge that they didn't even accomplish half of what they said they would.

But like I've been saying for months now, NHL 11 HAS to have smarter AI...at all positions. I want fucking Hall of Fame Gordie Howe/Wayne Gretzky offspring AI. Make us play up to their level instead of having to cover for their asses the entire game. I honestly think that would fix most of the glitches right there considering we can stop glitchers by playing good defense.

If the AI would actually get up in people's faces near the faceoff circles when you set the defense to "high pressure", and if they would destroy anyone in front of the net attempting a cross crease when you choose "defend net", that's all you'd really need. I wouldn't even mind it if they played weaker when you didn't have your strategy set right. But when you specifically set your D based on your opponent's play style and they STILL get burned, it's ridiculous.

Throw in a smarter goalie who knows where he should be in the crease, and you wouldn't even have to alter the accuracy of any of the shots. If they did that, they could even tone down the amount of glove snatches and ridiculous saves the AI goalies make, and have just regular shots on good scoring chances go in. Simply put, EA needs better hockey smarts if they want to improve this franchise at all. Otherwise, it won't matter how many broken sticks or new animations they add.

First thoughts on NHL 11 are good. Then again, I said I was going to get NHL 11 no matter what. Let's see if the Community Play-thingy can give us any good reviews in the next week or so.

As for tonight, I have an idea to throw out there. I was thinking we should have everyone try out playing D tonight, and we can decide who wants to stay back from there. It also gives us a chance to see different foward lineups, and perhaps we can find a good team mix.

[quote name='Magicking610']First thoughts on NHL 11 are good. Then again, I said I was going to get NHL 11 no matter what. Let's see if the Community Play-thingy can give us any good reviews in the next week or so.

As for tonight, I have an idea to throw out there. I was thinking we should have everyone try out playing D tonight, and we can decide who wants to stay back from there. It also gives us a chance to see different foward lineups, and perhaps we can find a good team mix.[/QUOTE]

Well, Kaster has already expressed his preference for playing D and Alan doesn't seem to have any problems playing LD. And playing with them in tandem this past week worked extremely well. I guess if we have 6 and Alan feels like being in goal, we'll figure out who should take that other spot. I don't mind dropping back if someone doesn't want to play D. But it really shouldn't be an "I would like to score some points" thing because the forwards should be getting the defensemen involved in the offense anyway.

Actually, I think I remember one game this past week where Kaster had 2 goals playing RD because his slapshot was ridiculous. He also did a great job of holding his shot until the defenders were out of the way so it wouldn't get blocked and lead to a breakaway. I was really impressed with that. Ultimately, I think it's just about making sure everybody is involved so that playing defense doesn't feel like "punishment".

Also...What A Ogre.

http://www.operationsports.com/eashl/
Day 1 looks good.

Well, as long as we have a good setup that can produce goals for us and can also hold our zone, then this should be a good night.

I might not be on top of my game in the beginning, because I am trying to get everything set up just right. Also Nate, are we still following your idea from last week where we try to point out each other's on ice flaws?

Also... What An Pass.

You forgot about me! I also expressed my desire to play D, though I'd like to play some center as well since I'm usually very good at faceoffs and setting people up with a pass in the offensive zone... just not so much scoring goals myself.

Also, in case you missed it, can you invite AntiVenom360 to the team?

[quote name='Magicking610']http://www.operationsports.com/eashl/
Day 1 looks good.

Well, as long as we have a good setup that can produce goals for us and can also hold our zone, then this should be a good night.

I might not be on top of my game in the beginning, because I am trying to get everything set up just right. Also Nate, are we still following your idea from last week where we try to point out each other's on ice flaws?

Also... What An Pass.[/QUOTE]

Meh, not impressed with the "I can't tell you anything, but it's amazing!" hype job. I could make a turd sound fantastic, lol.

As for pointing out mistakes, yeah, sure. Whatever, lol. It won't bother me. The biggest thing I'd stress to everybody is GOOD PASSES...and forwards don't let anybody breathe in our zone near the faceoff circles.

[quote name='Matt Young']Also, in case you missed it, can you invite AntiVenom360 to the team?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll add him when I get on later.

Thanks!

I wonder how many we'll have on tonight. There's Venom, and FrankySox said he'd like to play if he's on. Then we have myself, Nate, Magic, Moo, Destro... maybe DarkTower?

[quote name='Matt Young']Thanks!

I wonder how many we'll have on tonight. There's Venom, and FrankySox said he'd like to play if he's on. Then we have myself, Nate, Magic, Moo, Destro... maybe DarkTower?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, DarkTower said he'll be there. And Kaster makes 9. If we have that many, we'll need to split up. So, that might mean you, Venom, and Franky having your own team...with maybe one or two of the other guys.

It was weawwy fun pwaying with you guys tonight. I was a wittew fwustwated with how hawd it was fow me to scowe a gowe, but whatevew. Pwaying CAG vewsus CAG, we didn't have to deaw with aw the gwitchews, but theyw wuh stiww some stupid wapawounds and some widicuwous webounds. Wegawdless, I had an absowutewy gweat time! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back