Official NHL 11 CAG Team - CheapyD All Stars - Hockey Nights Tue @ 10e / Fri @ 8e

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you guys didn't get too mad at my crappy playing tonight. I'm still trying to get the controls down...and it doesn't help that I sometimes don't understand all the rules in hockey.

I also liked how my Pro's name, Paul Reubens, is flagged as inappropriate.

any of you guys work? haha.. the last two days getting up for it for me has been real rough, I can't even imagine 5 a.m.

[quote name='DestroVega']any of you guys work? haha.. the last two days getting up for it for me has been real rough, I can't even imagine 5 a.m.[/QUOTE]

Nope, been unemployed for over a year. Although my sleeping schedule has been irregular. I went to bed last night at 9pm and woke up at 1am and couldn't go back to sleep.

[quote name='Droogs']I hope you guys didn't get too mad at my crappy playing tonight. I'm still trying to get the controls down...and it doesn't help that I sometimes don't understand all the rules in hockey.

I also liked how my Pro's name, Paul Reubens, is flagged as inappropriate.[/QUOTE]

It's cool, man. I think everybody has varying levels of experience with not only the game, but with hockey in general. What I've been saying is I'm trying to think of this first month as training camp/pre-season. Even for veteran players, there are several different things in the game to get used to and an overall team chemistry to build.

The biggest thing is putting the time in to improve. When October 1st rolls around, the team should be clicking fairly well, and there won't be a lot of room for excuses from anybody. We've been pretty adament lately about letting people know what they're doing wrong so they can try to fix it and we can improve as a team. I know you're wanting to play defenseman, so definitely check out the videos moojuice posted earlier (I'll repost them below) to get a better grasp on how to play d.

The only other advice I would have is don't take too many chances as a defenseman. Big hits are fun, but until you become really good at lining them up, most people online will know how to avoid them. It's more important to keep the puck carrier in front of you and just pester the hell out of him. Use the poke check button (RB) when the puck is within your reach to try to knock it away. Use LB to get down to block shots. And just overall, don't let them get behind you. The goalies are better this year, but we still don't want to give up 2 on 1 breaks all the time. Once you know what you're doing, the actual skill will just come with practice. The more you play, the better you'll get. That's all we ask.

[quote name='moojuice']
Zone D:
and:
Working the puck out of the corner:
Example of a good breakout play [/QUOTE]

Although if you are creative, feel free to come up with another play, and we can test it out in practice. Who knows, someone on the team might find a way to beat the AI. And as Nate said, if you can beat the AI, you can beat anybody.

Ok, I made my pro. He's the bastard love-child of Malkin and Crosby.

#77 | Lokki | Deathtrip07 | Evgeni Crosby | Right Defenseman

Just a reminder that I'm out of town for two weeks though. I fly out Friday afternoon. I'll probably play some single player during the day before I fly out though.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, who's going to be there tonight? I've already started playing BAP to unlock boosts for tonight, and I recommend that those of you who have some free time before we start to do the same. Also, if anyone does get on early, I should be on around 7 if you want to practice or play some OTP or something.

I'll be lacing the skates for the first time this year tonight, when the wife goes to bed of course. :( But I'll have beer... and a little scotch :) Hockey night baby.

I'll definitely be there tonight. I won't be able to play as late as I have been though because I'm going to a football game tomorrow. If tonight doesn't go any better than last night, team practice will be SEVERELY needed. As I've been saying, this first month might as well be "pre-season", but people have to start playing their positions better. 80% of the time, our defense is just a complete mess.

Under essentially no circumstance should the left winger be chasing someone/digging a puck out along the right boards...and vice versa. Same goes for the defensemen. Maybe occasionally, if there's a loose puck and you happen to be in the area, and you're pretty damn sure you can get to it...sure, you're taking a risk, but go for it. But this shouldn't be the norm.

As a center, the area I'm supposed to be covering overlaps with the other four position players so I can come over and help out/apply pressure. This will give the appearance that I'm puck chasing...but it's really more akin to a trapping defense in basketball. But the only way traps work is having your other teammates in position to clog passing lanes. Below is the same picture from the webpage moojuice posted, but in case anybody missed it, it shows where your area is on defense.

zoneall.gif

When the puck crosses into your area, get on it. When it leaves your area, let it go, and cover whoever is in your area. Be careful loading up on big hits. If you miss, you'll be way out of position.

This year's game is much less run and gun than last year's. If we can't learn to play our positions correctly, we're not going to win many games. We've gotta play solid defense, make good passes, and control the game. Don't throw a big long pass just because you see somebody streaking up the ice. If they're not open, don't pass it to them. In our final game last night, we completed 24/76 passes...or 31%. Yes, a few were passes our players just didn't pick up...but that's still a pretty terrible number. Our opponent completed 51%. I don't know if people think about this stuff when we're playing, or if most don't care, but the game isn't nearly as much fun when we're getting our heads kicked in all night.

If anybody has a question, or something they're unsure of, please ask. None of this is about being down on anybody. It's about getting better.

I will be on at some point tonight, but maybe not at 8 Eastern.

I seem to do well at defense and occasionally can come up for a wrister like the goal I got last night, but I'm definitely better as a defenseman taking the occasional slapshot rather than playing wing like those couple games last night.

No offense Nate, but you were playing high as a left defense last night. So you know, just something to think about. :p

I'd like to join but am having trouble finding the league. Do I go to xbox live, online leagues, search leagues? I look at the alphabetical list and see no such named league.

15 | iamthekiller | emdkay | thatswhat shesaid | center

So I've moved from PS3 to Xbox 360 for connection reasons, and am looking for a new team, if you'll have me. I'm a RW/RD, able to play both. I played for the CFC for most of the past two years. My xbox live name is statnut28, I've already sent a join request.

Number | CAG Name | XBL Gamertag | Skater Name | Preferred Position
71/jza1218/statnut28/Bo Emrich/RW

[quote name='iamthekiller']I'd like to join but am having trouble finding the league. Do I go to xbox live, online leagues, search leagues? I look at the alphabetical list and see no such named league.[/QUOTE]

If you're looking in online leagues, maybe you're a bit confused. This is an online club in the EA Sports Hockey League. They made it really easy to find this year. There's an EASHL option right on the main menu. Select that, and then there should be an option to search for a club. Either type in "CheapyD All Stars" or "CAG" and you should find us. If you're still having trouble, one of the GMs can send you an invite, or I'll send you one the next time I'm on.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']If you're looking in online leagues, maybe you're a bit confused. This is an online club in the EA Sports Hockey League. They made it really easy to find this year. There's an EASHL option right on the main menu. Select that, and then there should be an option to search for a club. Either type in "CheapyD All Stars" or "CAG" and you should find us. If you're still having trouble, one of the GMs can send you an invite, or I'll send you one the next time I'm on.[/QUOTE]

Damn, tried this and still couldn't locate the league. I even scrolled through the entire list manually. An invite would be cool, thanks!

I can't help, since I don't have GM status, but I'm sure Nate will get you in soon.

Fun night, mostly, though I was surprised we ended around 10:00 after going till 2 A.M. or later these past few days. Maybe that's why we didn't, LOL. Either that, or discontent. I hope it's the former.

[quote name='Matt Young']I can't help, since I don't have GM status, but I'm sure Nate will get you in soon.

Fun night, mostly, though I was surprised we ended around 10:00 after going till 2 A.M. or later these past few days. Maybe that's why we didn't, LOL. Either that, or discontent. I hope it's the former.[/QUOTE]

I was willing to go one more, but it seemed like more people wanted to try the Wrestling game.

For anyone who plays HUT, I have a Mikka Kipprusoff that I am willing to trade or sell.

[quote name='iamthekiller']Damn, tried this and still couldn't locate the league. I even scrolled through the entire list manually. An invite would be cool, thanks![/QUOTE]

If you send a friend request to someone on the team, you can then search clubs by friend. Just a thought.

[quote name='Matt Young']Fun night, mostly, though I was surprised we ended around 10:00 after going till 2 A.M. or later these past few days. Maybe that's why we didn't, LOL. Either that, or discontent. I hope it's the former.[/QUOTE]

Well, I posted this before we started, which is why I left when I did. It was in a post with defensive suggestions though, so it's not surprising nobody saw it.
[quote name='n8rockerasu']I'll definitely be there tonight. I won't be able to play as late as I have been though because I'm going to a football game tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

For the record, I played goalie in a Drop-In game today, and allowed a goal on 17 shots. So either you guys are awesome, or I'm better than that practice last night.

Ok, you guys are awesome lol

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, I posted this before we started, which is why I left when I did. It was in a post with defensive suggestions though, so it's not surprising nobody saw it.[/QUOTE]

I knew you weren't staying late since you said so. I was just surprised that almost everyone decided to leave so early. Like was said, people started playing Action Arcade Wrestling (no, I still don't have points and haven't bought it, Gary).

I hope you're not implying that I didn't read the defensive suggestions post, after your comments last night. I know that was why Gary quit playing early, saying he remembered why he traded in NHL 10 so quickly- people criticizing the defense when the forward line was barely playing any help D at times, to the point where Gary comically stayed back next to our goal to prevent the offense which was chiefly the result of turnovers and cherry pickers. I can say without question that I was the best defensive player in most of the games I played in from Tuesday-Thursday; only played 2 last night, so I can't really say.

That was one thing that bothered me. As you an confirm, I was not one of those people who you mentioned before that complained about people not passing out to the defensemen, though I did verbalize such a complaint in a game following that post. But to be criticized when it was mostly invalid, only to see other people attempt to play D and get a, "Oh, that's okay" or "No problem" pass was off-putting for multiple people. And I got criticized for trying to take the puck into zone- caused solely by people not passing to me, ever- yet Sean played D, gave up just as many goals as I did, and he was juking and jiving all u[p next tot he goal. That's nothing against Sean; it's just not fair.

I know we can discuss things without fighting about them, and you know I will let my opinion be known, so as someone who's been with this team longer than anyone else on the roster, I'm speaking up for several people.

In other news, I see that Magic is back on our team after abandoning us for the team "Clean Vag" following the game in which he let in multiple easy goals. I'd like to hear his reason for his quick defection and return.

As someone who played D-man exclusively in '09, and primarily in '10, I like to think I'm a pretty good defensive forward, and conscientious about getting back on D. But I know I sometimes wander a bit much, trying to cover the slot area for example, if it appears someone is getting ready to set up there. I also rely too much on the poke check button, though I'm hoping with the hitting being revamped to start taking advantage of nailing people. But if I'm doing something wrong, please feel free to let me know, I prefer that to not realizing it.

The hitting is actually a lot more difficult in this game compared to NHL 10. Even when I make contact, which I do more times than not, the offensive players sometimes casually shrug me off and keep going. That seems to be how it's split: half the time, the guy you hit is unfazed; the other half of the time, he gets slammed like he was hit by an 18 wheeler.

[quote name='Matt Young']The hitting is actually a lot more difficult in this game compared to NHL 10. Even when I make contact, which I do more times than not, the offensive players sometimes casually shrug me off and keep going. That seems to be how it's split: half the time, the guy you hit is unfazed; the other half of the time, he gets slammed like he was hit by an 18 wheeler.[/QUOTE]

I actually feel like it's easier to knock a guy off the puck without laying him out this year, which feels more realistic to me. I know that I've hit guys as they are shooting or passing, causing the puck to go in a different direction then they intended.

I guess you have better luck than I do. I'll knock them off the puck, but they'll regain possession, or it will shoot off directly to their teammate.

[quote name='Matt Young']I knew you weren't staying late since you said so. I was just surprised that almost everyone decided to leave so early. Like was said, people started playing Action Arcade Wrestling (no, I still don't have points and haven't bought it, Gary).

I hope you're not implying that I didn't read the defensive suggestions post, after your comments last night. I know that was why Gary quit playing early, saying he remembered why he traded in NHL 10 so quickly- people criticizing the defense when the forward line was barely playing any help D at times, to the point where Gary comically stayed back next to our goal to prevent the offense which was chiefly the result of turnovers and cherry pickers. I can say without question that I was the best defensive player in most of the games I played in from Tuesday-Thursday; only played 2 last night, so I can't really say.

That was one thing that bothered me. As you an confirm, I was not one of those people who you mentioned before that complained about people not passing out to the defensemen, though I did verbalize such a complaint in a game following that post. But to be criticized when it was mostly invalid, only to see other people attempt to play D and get a, "Oh, that's okay" or "No problem" pass was off-putting for multiple people. And I got criticized for trying to take the puck into zone- caused solely by people not passing to me, ever- yet Sean played D, gave up just as many goals as I did, and he was juking and jiving all u[p next tot he goal. That's nothing against Sean; it's just not fair.

I know we can discuss things without fighting about them, and you know I will let my opinion be known, so as someone who's been with this team longer than anyone else on the roster, I'm speaking up for several people.

In other news, I see that Magic is back on our team after abandoning us for the team "Clean Vag" following the game in which he let in multiple easy goals. I'd like to hear his reason for his quick defection and return.[/QUOTE]

We gave up 2 goals when I was on defense. One was utter crap goalie not doing his job and the other was on a break away because Regian missed a wide open pass to me in the slot. You say the forward line isn't helping but they are playing the point like they are suppose to. I had one pass where I got on a break away so I went up to the net while I was on D and the rest of the time I was standing at the point and that is hardly next to the goal.

We gave up 3 when I was on defense, and at least 1, maybe 2, were due to Magic not covering them properly. Granted, he has to deal with cherry pickers like we do, and I certainly can't do any better in net, but that was what happened.

What I meant about the forward line was that often, everyone will crowd the net on offense orand/or someone will deke a lot going for a close-up goal and then lose it, leading to a 3 or 4 on 1. Combine that with cherry pickers, and it's a disaster.

Like I said, I was trying to discuss problems that I saw, like everyone else, and while I pointed you out as an example, I made it a point to say that I wasn't targeting you specifically. I think we all have a harder time judging our own faults than we do those of others, but that's how it usually is no matter what the subject matter. I honestly think you're better suited as a forward since you are good at scoring and 2nd only to DarkTower in breakaways/penalty shots. But we have more players than we do spots on the ice, so there's always room for debate and for trying new positions.

I'd be more than happy to try wing some more, be it in practice or a game. I was good at center in NHL 10 and was second only to Nate in faceoffs, but I didn't score nearly as many goals as our other forwards. Also, I haven't had enough experience taking faceoffs in the new game to tell you if I'm any good, and I get more points (25% goals and 75% assists making up those points) making passes or taking slapshots from the outside.

I do know that I felt the most in-tune with the rest of the team and felt some chemistry when it was Nate at center, DarkTower at wing, and you and Alan alternating between wing and D. I guess that's just because I've played with you guys the most. In the end, whether or not people agree with me, I'm all in favor of more practices. We can even alter practice options so that it's human vs. human with no CPU teammates.

Anyway, as I told Nate and Alan (who's name I just mistyped as Lana, like he's a hot chick from Smallville), I'll be on XBL soon. Hopefully we can all play some games or practice, and discuss game plans or something.

Hey guys, tried to send a request to join yesterday and I don't know that anyone approved it yet.

21 | Oyla | Matt Oyla | LW/C/LD

I am a good 2-way forward with playmaking ability. I'll try out if necessary. Prob won't be able to make a lot of the night games but I can play during the day usually.

[quote name='iamthekiller']This sounds like way too serious of a league. I thought it was just for fun.[/QUOTE]

What sounds serious about it? We're playing for fun, but we also strategize and play to win. It's not possible to have fun when you have guys playing out of position and costing us games. Glitchers do enough of that on their own.

[quote name='iamthekiller']This sounds like way too serious of a league. I thought it was just for fun.[/QUOTE]

Well, it is for fun. But when you play well, the game is a hell of a lot more fun. It's not like an "if you don't know enough about hockey, you can't play" thing. But there's no reason to not try to learn and get better either.

To me, with this year's game, it's even harder to "just have fun" because EA made EASHL very serious this year (proven by the fact that people were so concerned with team rankings that you can only have one club game going on at a time), and most teams take it seriously. If you don't at least try to play well, you will get your head kicked in all night long. I feel like the choices are either play EASHL and try to get better, or play unranked private OTP games and just play casually. There doesn't seem to be much room for in between this year.

But on that topic, I think the point with defense has been stressed enough, and harping on it any more would just be beating a dead horse. I know everybody's aware of it, so I'm going to lay off grilling people about it. Improving won't be an overnight thing, and as long as people are working toward getting better, that's good enough for me. Everybody's going to get there in their own time.

We played some games last night, and I was really impressed with Matt's play. I don't know if there's just a point where people "get it", but he was pretty much a blanket on D, and was even able to cover for a less experienced player playing beside him in the last few games. He was making good hits, and not letting guys get behind him very often. And the few times people did get past him, it wasn't by an obscene amount where he couldn't recover and knock the puck away. IMO, that's basically the sweet spot on defense. You're able to get down the ice and be involved in the offense, but not to the point of giving up breakaways all the time. He was also able to see the reason the other team scored, rather than saying "oh bullshit!" or "how did they get that?", which seem to be common responses for shitty defense (not that stupid/lucky goals don't happen...but "bullshit" doesn't cover everything). I thought he did pretty freaking awesome. :)

Thank you very much, Nate. That really means a lot. I do have my bad games at times, but I think I do pretty well on defense, so it's nice to see that recognized by an experienced, skilled player. Hopefully, I can continue to improve.

Sadly, we did not get to play any practices or games after you left since Venom went to watch a movie. I tried Ultimate Team and entered a 16 team single player tournament for the achievement and to test out my squad, and I lost by 1 goal in a 16 round shootout. God, I hate shootouts in the EA NHL series.

Hopefully, we can play more tonight after the Sunday Night Football game. I know you said you'd, probably be online, Nate, and same with Venom.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I don't see how limiting us to 1 team on the ice at once stops the team rankings problem. if anything, bigger squads will split into 2 and trade wins, or one dummy team could gift wins to the main team. I guess what I'm seeing is that I'm pretty sure we can all agree that the cons outweigh the pros for that decision.

Hey fellas. Just checking in on the team and hoping that it is less glitch-goal driven then in past years. I'm contemplating picking it up this weekend. That is if it is greatly improved over last year's version, which seemed like it lost steam after a couple months for me. Nice to see that the regulars are still around and that I've seen a lot of positive things with the team. Although, the Flyer jerseys do make me want to vomit. ;) Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

Go Pitt.

The game is much improved from last year's in most ways, and Ultimate Team is incredible. Trading/collecting cards mixed with fantasy, and you play the games yourself. Too bad I'm 0-0-1.

[quote name='Matt Young']The game is much improved from last year's in most ways, and Ultimate Team is incredible. Trading/collecting cards mixed with fantasy, and you play the games yourself. Too bad I'm 0-0-1.[/QUOTE]

Not bad. I'm interested. I'll have to download the demo tonight.

[quote name='Matt Young']The game is much improved from last year's in most ways, and Ultimate Team is incredible. Trading/collecting cards mixed with fantasy, and you play the games yourself. Too bad I'm 0-0-1.[/QUOTE]

I've got some cards I want to trade, so let me know when you get some that you can trade and we'll talk.

I'm hoping to be on tonight at 1, after work, if anyone is planning on playing. Once the playoffs end in a week +, I'll be off three nights a week, giving me more time.

Matt, I can't wait till I'm not broke and we can reunite Team Kastercooch. Or Coochkaster. I forget.

It will be a great day.

I think Coochkaster sounds better... kind of like a vagina who does sports play by play, or someone who makes plaster cast molds of vaginas for sex toys. That, or a new kind of Fender guitar.

I've been playing so much HUT offline that I haven't even tried any other game modes yet, I'll get to joining the league and start playing with all of you. Sounds like the team is having problem with D, so I have no problem volunteering to play D and see how it goes.

[quote name='jza1218']I've got some cards I want to trade, so let me know when you get some that you can trade and we'll talk. [/QUOTE]

I've built up quite a number of NHL players from playing so many tournaments against the AI... do you happen to have any Sharks players? The best guys I've got so far is Alfredsson, Havlat and Langenbrunner. Some of the better D I've got is Tyler Myers, Coburn from the Flyers and Volchenkov... these guys hit like semi-trucks.

[quote name='moojuice']It's not necessarily the d-men we're having problem with, it's D all around[/QUOTE]

That was the big glaring problem I noticed in last year's game in drop-in games. 4 guys rushing the net and me being the only guy getting back, even as a forward.

[quote name='azngtlman']That was the bring problem I noticed in last year's game in drop-in games. 4 guys rushing the net and me being the only guy getting back, even as a forward.[/QUOTE]

Well, with us, I think it's more about positioning and knowing when to apply pressure and when to lay off. Also, I'm still not sure if some people realize you play a zone defense and not man-to-man. That, and fighting the urge to puck chase. Left wingers ending up on the right side, and vice versa. It's definitely improving though.

Also, passing is something we struggle with at times. I think there can be a tendency to force passes that would lead to a big play, even if it's being defended well. And sometimes, I think there are just basic aiming issues...which seems to correlate with experience, so hopefully that improves as well.

I spent most of yesterday playing BAP, and finally unlocked most of the boosts. I ended up just spending the 120 points on the 2nd helmet slot because at -58 now, I'm not counting on getting to +35 any time soon. The only equipment slot I have left is for 50 assists in EASHL...so that will unlock eventually. I also got a majority of the +5's, so my skater should be better, and will improve tremendously once I unlock my next card or two.

I jumped over to Clean Vag for a few reasons. 1, because I know some guys over there and they were willing to help me with my +/-
2, I just decided that I was bitching too much for you guys so I went there to vent.

Well, while I was there (keep in mind that they're in the Elite league) I noticed they played defence nothing like how we play. And they won games. I mean, it might just be the people and that we have to get used to it, but this is that AMATEUR league and we can't stop teams with half the people that we have from scoring 5 good goals a game. But we've been using this defense style for a while, and I can't remember a single winning night since we started using it. It made me realize that we need a new defensive setup, and if you guys want, I might be able to get some of them over to our team for a bit for practice and ideas and stuff like that. Just an idea for this Friday. And with the idea of a defensive overhaul, looking at how we run the offense might be a good idea as well.

[quote name='azngtlman']I've been playing so much HUT offline that I haven't even tried any other game modes yet, I'll get to joining the league and start playing with all of you. Sounds like the team is having problem with D, so I have no problem volunteering to play D and see how it goes.

I've built up quite a number of NHL players from playing so many tournaments against the AI... do you happen to have any Sharks players? The best guys I've got so far is Alfredsson, Havlat and Langenbrunner. Some of the better D I've got is Tyler Myers, Coburn from the Flyers and Volchenkov... these guys hit like semi-trucks.[/QUOTE]

I only have Jed Ortmeyer, but I'm can't trade him since I got him in my initial pack. I'll have to double check to see if I have any more.

[quote name='jza1218']I only have Jed Ortmeyer, but I'm can't trade him since I got him in my initial pack. I'll have to double check to see if I have any more.[/QUOTE]

Ortmeyer... ugh... oh well let me know.

[quote name='Magicking610']Well, while I was there (keep in mind that they're in the Elite league) I noticed they played defence nothing like how we play. And they won games. I mean, it might just be the people and that we have to get used to it, but this is that AMATEUR league and we can't stop teams with half the people that we have from scoring 5 good goals a game. But we've been using this defense style for a while, and I can't remember a single winning night since we started using it. It made me realize that we need a new defensive setup, and if you guys want, I might be able to get some of them over to our team for a bit for practice and ideas and stuff like that. Just an idea for this Friday. And with the idea of a defensive overhaul, looking at how we run the offense might be a good idea as well.[/QUOTE]

Wow...anyone want to field this one? I'm trying to hold back. Must...resist...

Here's the skinny:
We play with 2 people, we have more A.I players. A.I players play their positions (a majority of the time. Sure, they mess up, but its once in a while), don't force bad passes (notice I said force. They may make nonsensical passes, but a majority of the time, their passes connect), and we win or have 1-goal games.

We play 4 or more people, have less A.I players. The humans puck chase, don't play their positions, try to force the same passes over and over, cherry pick; we get stomped.

I know for a fact that I've played more games as a defenseman that pretty much everyone here combined. Playing D, I get to see how amazingly bad we all are at d, both in our own zone and in the neutral zone. From watching 4 guys chase a puck carrier in a circle from the side of the net, behind the net and to the other side of the net, to watching you guys cherry pick just as bad as other teams, if not more (yes, you guys cherry pick a lot). The list goes on, and if you really want me to, I'll detail it, but to put it bluntly, it's like watching a kid's tee-ball game where every kid on the field chases the ball as soon as it's hit. If you pay attention, most of the goals scored on us are from above the face-off circles, and guess who's area of responsibility it is...

And Magic, we haven't even finished a game where everyone is following the "gameplan" of playing our positions, not puck chasing, etc. It's as if we said "Hey, on the count of three, everyone press the green 'win' button, not the red 'lose' button", and on three, only 2 of 6 people press the green button and everyone is like "Bullshit, why do we keep losing? Lets change our strategy". If we can't even play hockey 101, what makes you think that we can do something more advanced? Besides, I hate to have point it out, but you are one of the worst offenders of puck chasing. Have you not noticed that every time I play RW and you play LW, I am constantly telling you to get off my side of the ice?

Wooooo! Turn up the heat!!! :)

This was my response...I just didn't want to be the first one to light Magic up like a Christmas tree.

[quote name='Magicking610']Well, while I was there (keep in mind that they're in the Elite league) I noticed they played defence nothing like how we play. And they won games. I mean, it might just be the people and that we have to get used to it, but this is that AMATEUR league and we can't stop teams with half the people that we have from scoring 5 good goals a game. But we've been using this defense style for a while, and I can't remember a single winning night since we started using it. It made me realize that we need a new defensive setup, and if you guys want, I might be able to get some of them over to our team for a bit for practice and ideas and stuff like that. Just an idea for this Friday. And with the idea of a defensive overhaul, looking at how we run the offense might be a good idea as well.[/QUOTE]

What the hell are you talking about? I don't even think you know. What is "this defensive style"? We haven't had a single winning night "since we started using it"? What are you even referring to? I don't see what they could be doing that is so drastically different, other than people playing their position well and knowing where to be when a certain play develops (ex. winger staying near the boards at the blue line when a puck is being dug out by the d-man/center, so they can be ready for a pass/poke to start a scoring chance).

Not to mention the people on the opposite side of the ice staying on that side of the ice, in case the puck gets kicked around the boards, we actually have someone on that side to retrieve it. I don't know how many times we've had teams essentially pass the puck back and forth along the boards against us, and it seems like we just chase it from one side to the other. If that's what you mean by "this defensive style", then yeah, it needs work. Otherwise, learn what you're talking about before you present an idea to the group.

I try to help you out and defend you, man, but it's stuff like this why people give you a hard time. You're telling us to change everything without being able to give one example of what needs to be changed. How is that helpful? We don't need you to "bring over" members of an "Elite team" to "show us how to play". And I thought I was starting to get a little condescending, lol. Just like the other night when you were trying to tell everybody that 2-way forward is the best set up because you got a hat trick while playing with that team.

You have this perception that you become a great player because of some player type, when 95% of it is just knowing where you should be and what you should be doing. If you were deking everybody and scoring those goals yourself, sure, I'd say "Wow, you're an amazing player!" But just like your 6 goal game last year...when I set you up with 4 cross crease passes that you just had to tap in...you're reaping the rewards of smart plays by your teammates.

Making a great pass is a hell of a lot harder than tapping the puck into an open net. It's ridiculous hearing you talk about it as though you've evolved into some kind of hockey god. You're the left winger who skates up the right side of the ice...and 80% of your passes miss their target (well, unless you're actually aiming for the opposing team). If you enjoy Clean Vag that much, just stay there. I'm sure it's the closest you'll ever get to one. Chances are they kick you off the team within a month anyway. Isn't that what happened last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back