Official NHL 16 Discussion/CAG Team Thread - EASHL Is Back! Join The Hershey Nuggets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody for tonight?
Yes, I will be able to play tonight. Probably around 10:15 ET.

BTW Nate, got the Samsung Gear VR headset for my birthday. It's actually powered my Oculous.
Awesome. Yeah, Samsung was working with Oculus on it the whole way. Some people got upset with Oculus because they felt their focus shifted a lot more toward mobile after Facebook bought them out. It kind of sucks that the Gear is very app store heavy and not as open platform. But there are still some very cool experiences on there. Titans of Space, the Ocean Rift Demo, and then the movie tie ins (Jurassic World, Insurgent, etc) are really good.

And "Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes" is fantastic in all forms.

The Gear surprised me because I didn't think I'd have much of a use for it, but it's really great to take on the go. The first night of our trip, I woke up really early and couldn't fall back asleep. So, I just put the Gear on with headphones, and sat in the dark and watched Netflix, lol. Soaked in Bleach is a great documentary. :)

Yeah, I can't wait to mess around with ithe once I have some free time tomorrow and keep the backlog down. I also found a program that mirrors my desktop to my phone. Wondering if I can somehow make that work around the gear vr. I do have quite a few apps for it as well alreasy.

Reposting for posterity

Team: Total Cost (Players >4K)

Florida: 16K (Luongo 7K)

Carolina: 17K (Faulk 7K)

New Jersey: 23K (Schneider 15K)

Toronto: 34K (Van Riemsdyk 26K

Buffalo: 36K (E. Kane 28K)

Vancouver: 44K (D. Sedin 16K, H. Sedin 14K, Miller 5K)

Arizona: 52K (Ekman-Larsson 44K)

Calgary: 63K (Giordano 18K, Monahan 17K, Hudler 8K, Brodie 6K, Hamilton 5K)

Winnipeg: 65K (Bfyuglien 23K, Wheeler 14K, Myers 7K)

Columbus: 71K  (Johansen 35K, Bobrovsky 22K, Saad 6K)

Edmonton: 93K (Hall 85K)

Boston: 122K (Bergeron 60K, Rask 40K, Krejci 8K, Chara 6K

San Jose: 134K (Pavelski 41K, Thornton 27K, Burns 27K, Couture 20K, Marleau 11K)

Philadelphia: 152K (Giroux 70K, Voracek 60K, Simmonds 14K)

Minnesota: 171K (Suter 90K, Parise 58K, Dubnyk 6K, Koivu 5K, Pominville 4K)

Colorado: 196K (Duchene 110K, Landeskog 35K, MacKinnon 27K, Varlamov 10K, Barrie 6K)

Nashville: 206K (Weber 97K, Rinne 45K, Josi 40K, Neal 16K)

NY Islanders: 210K (Tavares 183K, Okposso 17K)

Ottawa: 247K (Karlsson 210K, Ryan 22K, Turris 5K)

NY Rangers: 272K (Lundqvist 130K, Nash 60K, McDonagh 40K, Kreider 20K, Stepan 7K, Yandle 6K)

St. Louis:  285K (Tarasenko 185K, Pietrangelo 40K, Backes 30K, Shattenkirk 20K)

Anaheim: 293K (Getzlaf 170K, Perry 80K, Kesler 25K, Fowler 5K, Andersen 5K)

Detroit: 346K (Datsyuk 215K, Zetterberg 70K, Nyquist 28K, Kronwall 25K)

Dallas: 500K (Jamie Benn 280K, Seguin 205K, Spezza 6K)

Montreal: 500K (Price 300K, Subban 140K, Pacioretty 50K)

Los Angeles: 520K (Doughty 220K, Carter 100K, Quick 86K, Kopitar 70K, Gaborik 25K, Lucic 6K, Voynov 4K)

Tampa Bay: 635K (Stamkos 500K, Hedman 65K, Johnson 40K, Bishop 20K)

And that leaves Washington, Pittsburgh, and Chicago...which good freaking luck if you can pull those off, haha. All three are 750K+.

Last edited by a moderator:
So tired of online HUT right now (only took a couple days, lol). I'm getting stomped like every single game now. I swear the better players i have, the worse they do. And the team strategies are so minimally helpful on defense, it drives me nuts. People seriously just glide around the offensive zone and I can't knock them off the puck. The AI just chases behind them and gives them angles to get to high scoring areas.

I just played a guy who basically had the actual Devils line up...like not that good of players like Elias and Zajac and people like that, and they're outskating all my guys and hanging onto the puck like it's glued to their stick. Then, on the other side, dude is just stick raping away, taking the puck basically any time he pressed A.

I'm just dumbstruck at this point. I mean, maybe he's got an Elite controller (which, I really think is unfair...Microsoft really tipped the scales by making that thing), or maybe it's the connection (he was home team). I'm just getting absolutely nothing out of my team right now.

The biggest thing that drives me nuts is when I'm skating with the puck in the neutral zone and my AI will skate AT me. This is something we do in EASHL sometimes too. All that does is bring his defender over and cause a turnover. Moving without the puck is so important in hockey...and this game does such a horrible job of it. I feel like I can't ever get my AI in the right position to be productive. fucking A, man.

Pffftt to the backlog!!

Nate, the Netflix app is awesome. Just wish the optics were better. I am also now using cardboard apps as well by disabling gear vr.

So, after watching the ball drop with my wife (not a euphemism) and drinking 3 glasses of wine, I loaded up NHL, throw a bunch of boosts on my players, and start a HUT game (because why not?). Surprisingly, I went up 3-1 after the first period.

The second period starts...we go to chase a puck in the corner...annnnd the game just freezes dead. I check to make sure I'm still on XBL. Check. Refresh a tab on my PC to make sure internet is still flowing smoothly. Check. Come back to the game...no disconnect message. Just the same frozen gameplay screen. My XB1 dash is also working just fine.

Fearing the worst, I exit out of the game and reload to see the damage. Somehow, the game didn't count at all...but of course all my boosts were used up, 3 players now have expired contracts, and both of my goalies are fatigued. Happy New Year, everybody. EA Sports. Never Not Kicking You In The Nuts...

Tap, EA. I tap.

Decided to give myself a break from playing games by blowing up my team and going all in on the last remaining collections. Since I've been losing to scrub teams anyway, I figured I might as well just put together a lineup of my "Cannot Trade" players and see how many coins the rest will net me.

So, I sold off Weber, Rinne, Josi, Thornton, Giordano, Hossa, F. Andersen, O'Reilly, and Ladd.

That gave me enough to finish off Detroit...where my best pulls were Faulk (86) and Craig Anderson (86)

I flipped those players fairly quickly, and then completed Dallas...which netted me Taylor Hall (probably my best reward pull ever), Giordano, Oshie (who I already have as a "Cannot Trade"), and a +2,000 coin card.

It's so weird how I didn't get one card over an 85 in my 10 NYR reward packs...but then I get four really solid cards in the 8 packs from Dallas. Is there anything in this game that isn't random luck?

This happened in one of my New Year's gift packs tonight...

Fri_Jan_1_22-16-50_CST_2016.png

Sooo...I guess I'm being rewarded for blowing up my team, haha.

Not sure what everybody's evening looks like, but if anybody wants to play Rocket League hockey or something after UFC is over (in probably like an hour), I'd be down for that.

EDIT - Or it could be in like 10 minutes if the main event goes like the Arlovski - Miocic fight, lol. Damn!

I may have gotten my groove back, lol.

Like I mentioned before, I went on a horrible, horrible ass stomping streak. I would have lost 12 straight games had it not been for a guy's connection crapping out when he was up 2-0 in the 3rd.

My team was just doing nothing. Like we see in HUT, the AI is ok offensively (though in versus, it's really harder to distinguish that since you immediately take control of them). But defensively, they were content to hold position and let people skate freely.

So, I did some tweaking and holy crap I think I figured it out (please don't change it on me, EA). I still leave everything at pretty aggressive: Full Attack, Leave Zone Early, and Strong Slide Slant. Full Forecheck, 1-2-2 Aggressive...but then I switched back to 1-4 neutral zone because of the next two changes.

For defense, I changed to Tight Point and Puck Side Attack...and it's crazy how active they are now. They're knocking down breakout passes with ease (just made a guy with a team name of "RedWhiteDangles" quit after being outshot 12-3 in the 1st and losing 2-0 because he tried to clear the puck twice and Ryan McDonagh picked it off at the blue line and fired back on for goals). And they're actually stepping up for monstrous hits now and stick checking on their own.

The key here is manning the center position yourself. Since it keeps the defense pretty spread and pretty aggressive, you have to just cover the slot and watch for that centering pass. Let the AI pressure the hell out of them and when they try to do one of those fancy ballerina twirls along the side boards, watch the winger come down and flatten the shit out of them.

I'm back on a 5 game winning streak now. Granted, I got demoted like 3 times before...so it's very possible the level of competition isn't as strong. But I'm seeing a huge difference in performance. The AI is hellacious on defense right now. This dude could hardly get the puck out of the zone.

Alan's theory about card prices going down during a happy hour due to people having more coins to buy packs is not a bad one...except for the fact that packs generally suck ass, lol.

It is possible that rings true for non-rare golds (I've seen a lot sell for less than their quick sell price)...but for rare golds, prices are up across the board. Rinne is up from 45K to 65K, Bergeron is up from 60K to 72K, and the cheapest team change card you can buy right now is 1600 coins.

I think happy hour just makes people inclined to go buy what they want...which lowers the supply, which also helps raise prices. The only real ones I haven't seen affected are the painfully redundant guys like Sharp, Jagr, Hamilton, etc.

Saw your post on FB. Classic that everybody agrees and also are like, "and yet the sticks don't collide." LOL. I'm up for tonight and all nights this week if anybody else is. My last week of vacation. : (

Wow...Oculus just killed themselves. The Facebook buyout was said to specifically make development cheaper for them. And they've maintained for basically two years that the consumer Rift would be "similarly priced" to the DK1 ($300) and the DK2 ($350). Twice as much is not similarly priced. I get that it comes with an Xbox One controller...and those dumb headphones that nobody wanted...and now a pack in game. But if that stuff is driving the price up $200, then that's a huge mistake on their part.

It does make me wonder if this is why they've been focused on the Gear so much for the past year or so. Maybe they got to a point where they realized that in home PC VR done properly (ie. 1440p, 90hz, motion controls, etc) wasn't going to be as accessible as they originally had thought when they made the DK1. But with the Gear just latching onto Samsung phones and letting them do all the heavy lifting, they could boast about $99 virtual reality!!!

I know Palmer Luckey has said he doesn't think the Rift will be globally accepted in its first iteration anyway...but if nobody buys it, do they even have a plan for a second iteration? This has been such a long journey seeing VR progress and prepare to enter homes, and having followed it and experienced it since the beginning, it's going to be said if both the Rift and the Vive completely miss the mark and are too expensive for "normal people" to ever use.

Also, have to give props, Gary was right. He had the insider scoop. The scoop is horrible and stupid. It's like a scoop of shit flavored ice cream. But Gary called it.

EDIT - Actually, I see now that it comes with two games and EVE Valkyrie is the second one. So, yeah...that probably did add another $50-60 onto the price. So basically, they added on a bunch of shit that many people might not want and it drove up the price $200. I'd happily buy a "barebones Rift" without the controller, headphones and games. Wonder how long before that happens.

I like when I'm right. Which happens about 20% of the time. I really do love my GEAR VR and seeing the price point of $600, is tempting to get it to the bigger VR game. I never realized how fun and how immersed you can get into it. Last night, I was just watching twitch with four other random stuff and I was just there for a good two hours bullshitting.

Make me wonder though...the Vive seems more high-tec...so it really makes me wonder how much that will cost. Unless Oculus is pulling a PS3/Xbone pricing strategy.

Make me wonder though...the Vive seems more high-tec...so it really makes me wonder how much that will cost. Unless Oculus is pulling a PS3/Xbone pricing strategy.
Yeah...I would guess the Vive will be $700+. I do think Oculus is just including too much stuff with the Rift though. I already have a controller. I already have headphones. And I'm not particularly interested in either of those games. I'm sure I'm not the only person who would rather save $150 than have those items included.

Maybe they'll have a barebones version...or maybe this is just the old school "system launch bundle" crap that used to happen all the time (I remember having to pre-order my Gamecube with Rogue Squadron II, Wave Race, and Luigi's Mansion...for $400). So, I"ll most likely just sit on the sidelines happily enjoying my DK2 until the price comes down for next Christmas, haha.

The other thing I'm not a huge fan of is the constant mentioning of "the Oculus store". The best thing about the development kits (and PC gaming in general) was being very open format. And I can tell you, seeing how things work with the Gear, they really don't want you using apps that aren't under Oculus's finger.

Yes, you can still sideload...but you have to run special programs to disable the built in Oculus OS, otherwise, it won't work. I hope the Rift isn't this bad, as I can't imagine not being able to load my game from Steam because it wasn't purchased through Oculus's own storefront. But I also wouldn't put it past Facebook either.

Ironically, I got my "Pre-order today!" email from Oculus, which includes a link to a tool to check your PC to see if it's Rift ready. I did it just to amuse myself, and yeah, it congratulated me on being ready and invited me to order the Rift. Sad to come this far and then hold off. But I also expected it a little bit. The 1080p and 75fps the DK2 has is good enough for me for the timebeing...especially since a lot of games just finally now started working properly with the DirectToRift launching.

Just had this realization today...I think I'm going to be able to complete all of the NHL HUT collections without spending a dime.

I'm down to just Chicago, Washington, and Pittsburgh.

I'm working on Chicago now since pulling that Kane gave me a big head start. I knew it was going to be a grind for Toews, so I just went ahead and bought the other useable players to make my team a little better (Keith, Seabrook, Hossa...and I already had Crawford from a reward pack), and now I've just gone back to flipping cards.

i owe Alan for pointing out the 59 minute method. It's weird how in year's past, people have made Youtube videos talking about "You can make a lot of coins flipping contract cards..." or something like that. Really, just finding dumb people who undervalue cards is where it's at. I've seen so many cards go for stupid cheap. I saw two Ben Bishop's earlier for 9K and 12K, I've seen Krecji for 2.5K, and then I even saw a Varlamov for 1,800 (pretty sure the guy fucked up and meant to make him 11,800, haha).

But between Alan's advice and some tweaks of my own, I'm easily banking 30-40K a day. I just know I'm going to end up with all the top players when I'm done...and then I will hate myself...and then my mission will be complete, lol :)

Yeah, those last three teams seem like they would be a pain, but if you're turning 30-40k a day, then it definitely sounds doable, especially once you get one of the big name guys, then you can flip it around for the other.

Here's the kicker: Youve probably spent more time in the Auction House now than the amount of time you've been playing HUT games...maybe even EASHL too. I feel like for me, that's one of the reasons I stopped doing the AH grind.

Yeah, those last three teams seem like they would be a pain, but if you're turning 30-40k a day, then it definitely sounds doable, especially once you get one of the big name guys, then you can flip it around for the other.

Here's the kicker: Youve probably spent more time in the Auction House now than the amount of time you've been playing HUT games...maybe even EASHL too. I feel like for me, that's one of the reasons I stopped doing the AH grind.
Haha, yeah, probably. I don't know...it becomes such a meta game of refreshing the page, buying a player, and then relisting him. It's almost like Trials or Rocket League...where I'm like "I'll just fill my auction list." Then three guys sell while I'm doing it, and I'm like "Ok, three more." And then an hour has gone by.

Plus, nothing about the auction house pisses me off, lol. Even when I miss out on a player, I'm just like "aw man" as opposed to actually playing the game and feeling like my butthole was ripped apart.

Can't...for a few reasons. One of them being that Comcast has taken a shit for the second night in a row, and they are "aware of outtages and are working on repairing them by 12AM". It's strangely only affecting the download speed though. This is me right now:

4978118754.png

Yay, Cocmast...you're horrible. Yay...

The other reason? Well...remember that video I posted of that douche literally breaking the game to score on me? Initially, I was curious if he'd be decent about it and say "I know, man...this game is crap" or something along those lines (which has happened before), so I asked him if he realized that his 2nd goal came on a missed penalty call. To which he responded "Shut up. I'm fucking you."

So..I inquired "Who's getting fucked? Your mother? Your sister?" He didn't say anything else, and I'm guessing he reported me because Daddy Microsoft gave me another two week timeout. I really don't even care anymore. Cheating is fine. Being a disrespectful asshole is fine. But if they get their feelings hurt, I get sent to the corner. I also got blocked from following and posting on Sean Ramjagsingh's Twitter profile that same day. It was a good day.

Why not report him also for language?

I'd also be careful as Third time is a ban till 9999. Which means all your digital stuff is useless including your whole entire rockband library and any games bought and downloaded.

Why not report him also for language?

I'd also be careful as Third time is a ban till 9999. Which means all your digital stuff is useless including your whole entire rockband library and any games bought and downloaded.
Eh...if it happens, it happens. From what I've read, there's no consistency. This new Enforcement Team shit is basically a bunch of forum mods who now have the power to give out suspensions. And they've set up a new "review action" feature that's in preview right now...but once it fully launches, it will charge you a fee to review your case. So, yeah...it's going to benefit them financially to suspend people...

I'd say I'd be mad about my Rock Band library, but considering Microsoft won't allow the ION drums to work on the Xbox One anyway, much of that is pointless. There really hasn't been one thing about this console generation that I've been happy about and not one game I've played on the One that I would call a "good game". So, like I said...if it happens, and they "force me into retirement", maybe I'll just be done.

Steve is the best. I wish I could be more like Steve.

That's all I ever heard growing up. "Why can't you be more like your sister Steve?"

Man, fuck this player pack. The HUT market is so flooded right now. There are 55 Justin Faulks, 50 Charas, 45 Jagrs, 45 Hamiltons, 40 Marleaus, 40 O'Reillys, 40 Turris's (and I've never seen more than 20 of him) 30 Seabrooks, 30 Dubnyks...annnnnd 207 Patrick Sharps, lol.

I am fully back on board my "EA buys back some of the cards" conspiracy. The prices would never recover if all these cards just stayed in circulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back