Official Nintendo E3 2007 Thread - DROPPENZALBOMBEN (Use MINE, Munch eats broccoli)

So I love Nintendo don't get me wrong but why the fuck did I watch that. Seriously, all I got out of that was a release date of Smash Bros and Mario Galaxy. Thats one whole hour wasted, lol (ok seeing cheapy d was kinda worth it).

Although this was better than Microsoft's confrence which isn't saying much.

The best part of that conference was Mario Kart Wii.

Did anyone who saw both conferences think this was better than Microsoft's?

Sony is sure getting a free pass to win this.

I found Wii Fit to be interesting and if it is at the $50 mark and actually provides a good fitness regiment, I'd probably pick it up. Overall the conference was a bit "meh" but what are you gonna do.

Also I think I found the "trick" to the soccer game. I don't think the device recognizes head movements with a camera or sensor, it merely takes into account the shift in weight. For example, a soccer ball going to the right means you will bob your head to the right. But when you do that, your body weight shifts to the right so that is how the devices recognizes the movement.

Did I watch something else than everyone here? Mario Kart online this year, Zelda this year, Wii Zapper, Dragon Quest Wii soon after this year. At least Nintendo didn't announce one of their best selling games was going to the PC with twice the story and map editing tools and all around better experience for $10 cheaper than on the Wii/DS.

I think Nintendo maybe missed the audience they should have been after. Casual gamers aren't watching E3, so why all the focus on them, including the large segment on WiiFit?

The announcement of Mario Kart is great, but I hope they're not relying on the big franchises (Mario/Kart, Metroid, SSB) as much as it seems.

[quote name='lordwow']The best part of that conference was Mario Kart Wii.

Did anyone who saw both conferences think this was better than Microsoft's?

Sony is sure getting a free pass to win this.[/QUOTE]

I think I gave MS a hard time last night. Nintendo did very little to impress: nothing about VC, little new info on upcoming games we know about, and rather unimpressive "new" news: WiiZapper and WiiFit. They both look kinda neat, but the latter, being their "high end note," seems to suggest that they're interested at expanding their market in a direction that may very well leave "traditional" games behind (not abandoned entirely, of course, but given a role of diminished importance).

EDIT: More than anything else, I regret, Nintendo did absolutely nothing to dismiss the Wii's "it's just a gimmick" criticism.

If Sony blows it, MS may come out smelling like roses. I certainly wouldn't have thought that last night.

i didnt think it was that bad at all. What was everyone expecting? Newer hardware isnt going to be released for a while so its harder to wow the audience. People need to lower there expectations

[quote name='Kendro']
Also I think I found the "trick" to the soccer game. I don't think the device recognizes head movements with a camera or sensor, it merely takes into account the shift in weight. For example, a soccer ball going to the right means you will bob your head to the right. But when you do that, your body weight shifts to the right so that is how the devices recognizes the movement.[/quote]
That seems to be exactly right. That's how it does everything. Did you notice that Reggie, who did much better, was moving much less than Miyamoto?

I was like,

"Hmm. Whats this gay wii fitness game? Oh well, its probably going to be over soon, then we get to see what Miamoto has to offer! Woohoo!"

10 minutes later...

"wtf..."

[quote name='Zen Davis']Nintendo made me want to pick up a 360. ASAP.[/QUOTE]
Duly noted. I'm thinking of ditching mine and going after the newer, cooler, quieter ones if that ever comes to pass.

At least we know that Wii Fit is only 1 of the 100 games due out in the next year or whatever they were talking about early on.

Microsoft - shows only 2007 games (=nothing new) and no answer to 'what going to play next year'?

Nintendo - shows little of what we want (the big 3) and a whole boat load of what we mostly don't care about.

Sony - Has lots of stuff in the pipe for 08 and a nice varied set of games to release this year. If we get good trailers for FF13, MGS and other 08 games and some exciting on stage demos and 07 games like Heavenly Sword, Uncharted and Ratchet, then we could see Sony walk away the winner.

[quote name='jawman311']i didnt think it was that bad at all. What was everyone expecting? Newer hardware isnt going to be released for a while so its harder to wow the audience. People need to lower there expectations[/QUOTE]

I was hoping for some new games to be announced that actually interested. Mario Kart Wii with online play is great, but we all knew that was inevitable.

Very dissapointing for me. It's looking more and more like I may just part with my Wii after getting through Metroid and Mario Galaxy. Seems like the focus on casual gamers/nongamers may well limit the number of traditional games too much to warrant a place in my cramped home theater set up for the Wii.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']Microsoft - shows only 2007 games (=nothing new) and no answer to 'what going to play next year'?

Nintendo - shows little of what we want (the big 3) and a whole boat load of what we mostly don't care about.

Sony - Has lots of stuff in the pipe for 08 and a nice varied set of games to release this year. If we get good trailers for FF13, MGS and other 08 games and some exciting on stage demos and 07 games like Heavenly Sword, Uncharted and Ratchet, then we could see Sony walk away the winner.[/quote]Yeah, my only concern for Sony is if the price drop was supposed to be their big announcement - they'd need something to replace it or their conference will end up seeming pretty lame too. Unless they have enough other stuff to blow us away.

[quote name='nesfan8222']no animal crossing + no harddrive = not good

the wiifit soccer game is the wii sports boxing exercise in bizzaro world.[/QUOTE]

I agree we need a harddrive badly. The VC Games eat space like crazy(Mainly the n64 ones).

Wii Fit is going to fucking take over the world. This thing will be featured on Oprah, and it will ensure that Nintendo sells every Wii they can make for the next year plus. Book it.

[quote name='spiwak']I think Nintendo maybe missed the audience they should have been after. [/quote]

Hate to tell you but they hit that audience on the head. The audience that all of them are after is not you, or me. It's not my mom or grandma either. And it's not my 15 year old hard-core gamer neighbor.

It's the investors and markets... it's their stock value.

The Wii has sold well due to the casual gamer. They showcased plenty of titles and one killer title for that "casual" non-gamer audience. In this respect, their presentation was dead-on.

[quote name='botticus']Yeah, my only concern for Sony is if the price drop was supposed to be their big announcement - they'd need something to replace it or their conference will end up seeming pretty lame too. Unless they have enough other stuff to blow us away.[/QUOTE]
What if Sony comes out and is all like, "Yeah, that price drop? Since some asshole leaked it, we're taking it back!"

And then three minutes later they're like, "SIKE!!! No we're totally dumping the price! BUY THESE THINGS PEOPLES!"

I think that would put some energy back into the announcement.

[quote name='dothog']What if Sony comes out and is all like, "Yeah, that price drop? Since some asshole leaked it, we're taking it back!"

And then three minutes later they're like, "SIKE!!! No we're totally dumping the price! BUY THESE THINGS PEOPLES!"

I think that would put some energy back into the announcement.[/quote]:rofl: I could see that not being such a positive unless they say "wrong! It's actually a $200 price drop!"

With any luck, Nintendo will start throwing out press releases/announcements rather frequently in the next couple days like they did last year to make up for it, otherwise this year is a waste.

I think there should be a few more things filling in the gaps between the 9 3rd party conferences between today and tomorrow. Stuff that just pops like Atlus' announcement yesterday.

It boggles me that anyone was surprised by this press conference. Nintendo's been moving in this direction since the DS.....
remember kids, it's about the profit, not what you want ;) (yer all just a bunch of cheapasses)

I'm really surprised by the negative reactions, I thought Nintendo delivered big-time.

Two major new releases announced, one demonstrated in depth. Demonstrations of two huge Nintendo titles (Metriod and Zelda), both looked awesome.

Concrete official release dates for two of the biggest N games of this generation (Metriod's release date has already been announced), including great new Galaxy footage.

Built up some excitement about the Zapper and how it will be utilized, and that the balance board might be used in other titles too.

I would have been disappointed had they just glossed over Wii Fit.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']I would have been disappointed had they just glossed over Wii Fit.[/QUOTE]
My guess is, then, that you are a very happy consumer.

I may have been a tad harsh. The reason I watched the conference was because I wanted to see what Nintendo had coming up for the DS. All we got from the DS front was a few games we knew about.

Ok so I regret staying up til 2:30 AM on a worknight a little bit, but there was some good stuff:

TEH GOOD:
-Mario Galaxy - Bee suit!!1 and November 12th release!
-Smash Bros - December 3rd release!
-Zelda and MP3 both look good
-Mario Kart Wii confirmed!
-CheapyD!

-Mario & Sonic at the Olympics looks pretty good
-Zapper HAS to come with Duck Hunt. What else COULD it be??
-WiiFit could be huge (not with us, but with the non-gamer crowd). I'll probly pick it up myself.
I can't wait to do "MASSIVE DAMAGE" to my body fat!! :lol:

The BAD:
-SO MANY fuckING MONTAGES!
-Barely any unknown games announced
-No new Smash Bros info (besides the date)
-Did anyone else notice that the "fitness experts" were doing the OPPOSITE motions than the in-game models in WiiFit? Maybe THAT'S why it was innacurate.
-Nintendo......online........?
-No major Wii Channel/Wii Ware announcements

And here's something I noticed.....

Did Reggie accidentally confirm that Sonic is in Brawl?

RIGHT AFTER saying that Mario and Sonic would duke it out in the Olympics game, he said something like "But FIRST, they'll settle their dispute with a BRAWL!"

Maybe I missed something but as soon as I heard that I thought FOR SURE he was about to reveal Sonic in Brawl......oh well. :(

Well, time to get 4 hours of sleep before work! GAH!

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']I'm really surprised by the negative reactions, I thought Nintendo delivered big-time.

Two major new releases announced, one demonstrated in depth. Demonstrations of two huge Nintendo titles (Metriod and Zelda), both looked awesome.

Concrete official release dates for two of the biggest N games of this generation (Metriod's release date has already been announced), including great new Galaxy footage.

Built up some excitement about the Zapper and how it will be utilized, and that the balance board might be used in other titles too.

I would have been disappointed had they just glossed over Wii Fit.[/quote]They desperately needed a new core title announcement. I can see what their focus would be in the press conference given that this is where all the press would be to tell mom and dad about it, and save other stuff for separate releases where the gaming community will find it, but they will have to do that soon.

[quote name='botticus']Yeah, my only concern for Sony is if the price drop was supposed to be their big announcement - they'd need something to replace it or their conference will end up seeming pretty lame too. Unless they have enough other stuff to blow us away.[/quote]

I don't think they needed that news, although I'm sure they wish they could have held on to it.

I think Sony has the chance to do what MS did last year. Show a bunch of games both 07 and 08. Make is see what the system is offering and what the future potential is.

That's where MS failed last night. There was no hope for the future. Only small mentions for Fable 2, Too Human and Lost Odyssey and a trailer of RE5. E3 is all about making people think "oh shit, I need to have that. I can't wait for 20xx"

Does anyone know how WiiFit is supposed to make you fit?

After watching it all I saw was a really lame/slowassed step up of about an inch maybe. Oh yeah thats going to really burn those calories. There were the push ups and then that leg thing the first woman was doing. Where is the strength training or any kind of cardio? It looks like something for the old folks homes where they have been playing Wii bowling.

[quote name='botticus']They desperately needed a new core title announcement.[/quote]

How about Mario Kart?

Or do you mean another Metroid-esque title? Or a new IP entirely?

miyfwn5.gif

Reggie: Super Smash Bros Brawl launches on Dec 3!!
* waits for applause *
(no applause)

Reggie: I'm glad to announce a new channel, the Check Mii Out Channel!
* waits for applause *
(no applause)

That was worse than the MS conference. At least we got to see real demos and good looking games. Nintendo did not impress. only a few of the big 3 actually peaked my interest. WII FIT?? WTF Is that?? Who is really going to buy it as a gamer. Moms and casual fans may but then after they try it are goign to be this sucks. I should have used that money on a gym membership biatch!

i'm not blown away or going to go out and sell my wii in protest.

all i really care about is smash, galaxy, kart and zelda anyways. and those were all there.

i like the mii channel, i'm gonna go take other ppls mii's.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']How about Mario Kart?

Or do you mean another Metroid-esque title? Or a new IP entirely?[/QUOTE]

Everyone knew that was coming sooner or later. They needed a "surprise" announcement of some big, core game. And buy that I mean something to appeal to the hardcore gamers, not the non-gamers.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']How about Mario Kart?

Or do you mean another Metroid-esque title? Or a new IP entirely?[/quote]Mario Kart works, but it was kind of an inevitable release and they didn't show much of it - people would definitely have been happier seeing Mario Kart demoed than Wii Fit, such an awful way to end a conference. A complete new unknown game would have been fantastic.

[quote name='Gameboy415']
And here's something I noticed.....

Did Reggie accidentally confirm that Sonic is in Brawl?

RIGHT AFTER saying that Mario and Sonic would duke it out in the Olympics game, he said something like "But FIRST, they'll settle their dispute with a BRAWL!"

Maybe I missed something but as soon as I heard that I thought FOR SURE he was about to reveal Sonic in Brawl......oh well. :([/QUOTE]

I must of missed that, interesting....

Did the xbots and SDF invade the Wii forum again? Shit, all this negativity is disgusting. What were you expecting some killer FPS Halo clone? Apparently a lot you haven't understood the market expansion route that Nintendo is taking.

Anyway, the Zapper for $20 and a game, and the Wii Wheel with Mario Kart were my two favorite moments. Also SMG getting a release date - though I wish it were earlier.

[quote name='Scrubking']Did the xbots and SDF invade the Wii forum again? Shit, all this negativity is disgusting. What were you expecting some killer FPS Halo clone? Apparently a lot you haven't understood the market expansion route that Nintendo is taking.

Anyway, the Zapper and the Wii Wheel were my two favorite moments. Also SMG getting a release date - though I wish it were earlier.[/quote]Even hardened Nintendo fans are disappointed.

You should be too.

miyfwn5.gif

[quote name='dmaul1114']I was hoping for some new games to be announced that actually interested. Mario Kart Wii with online play is great, but we all knew that was inevitable.

Very dissapointing for me. It's looking more and more like I may just part with my Wii after getting through Metroid and Mario Galaxy. Seems like the focus on casual gamers/nongamers may well limit the number of traditional games too much to warrant a place in my cramped home theater set up for the Wii.[/quote]
lol...Are you also going to move to Canada? :roll:

What a bunch of whiny ass, narrow-minded, petulant bitches y'all are. What the fuck were you expecting? The second coming? Everyone had their pet project they wanted to see announced. Doesn't mean it's going to happen. But let's look at what we got:

- Hard dates for Super Smash Bros. and Super Mario Galaxy.

- Nice previews of Phantom Hourglass and Metroid Prime Corruption.

- For the traditional gamers, we got Wii Mario Kart with online play (likely for 8+ players) due Q1 2008. Even if you weren't surprised by its announcement, you have to be surprised by the date.

- For the casual gamer we got Wii Fit. No, this is not something that appeals to most of the people on this board. It's not meant to. But quit bitching for a second. This is the kind of game that will sell thousands and thousands more Wiis (and software) to the demographic that Nintendo is proving astonishingly apt at tapping. This, in turn, will subsidize the Metroids, Marios, and Zeldas that appeal to a narrower demographic. Trust me: You want Nintendo to sell more Wiis, even if it's not for the games you bought it for.

Not the best E3 presser ever, but certainly not the abject shitfest you people are wailing over. I mean, CheapyD was in it, for fuck's sake! So simmer the Hell down.

That was a huge letdown. I think the best part was that Super Mario Galaxy got dated for November and Smash Bros. for December.

bread's done
Back