Official Rock Band Thread (It's out, bitches)

[quote name='evanft']Me, read posts? Pfffft!

Oh, and nohbody, just because Guitar Hero shits on Guitar Freaks from an epic height doesn't mean you have to get your pussy all sandy.[/quote]
but guys i got four tickets to the lion king

ok, so I went up to Boston this weekend, and my brother blessed me with a tour of Harmonix and almost an hour of playtime with the current Rock Band build with some other staff members. :)

After playing it, I'm thinking I need to get a 360 soon so I can play it some more when it's out XD. Although maybe it was due to the great setup they have there. Strobelights in tune to the music, huge speakers and great HD TV to enjoy the graphics with.

I played the drums most of the time. I've never played drums in my life, but I was able to get into these really quickly. By my second song I was getting 80%+ on medium difficulty. The drums were as solid as the guitars of GH and just as much fun. Maybe a little more for their novelty anyway.

if you have any questions I can talk about the gameplay and create-a-character mode and that's about it. I think you guys'll like the song selection though, and be sure to keep your eyes open for announcements from Harmonix in the near future. They have some surprises up their sleeves ^^

[quote name='looploop']ok, so I went up to Boston this weekend, and my brother blessed me with a tour of Harmonix and almost an hour of playtime with the current Rock Band build with some other staff members. :)

After playing it, I'm thinking I need to get a 360 soon so I can play it some more when it's out XD. Although maybe it was due to the great setup they have there. Strobelights in tune to the music, huge speakers and great HD TV to enjoy the graphics with.

I played the drums most of the time. I've never played drums in my life, but I was able to get into these really quickly. By my second song I was getting 80%+ on medium difficulty. The drums were as solid as the guitars of GH and just as much fun. Maybe a little more for their novelty anyway.

if you have any questions I can talk about the gameplay and create-a-character mode and that's about it. I think you guys'll like the song selection though, and be sure to keep your eyes open for announcements from Harmonix in the near future. They have some surprises up their sleeves ^^[/quote]
me love you loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time for some more details.

It would be nice if this game has some actual contemporary music in it, instead of your typical classic rock. I hear enough of that shit at work, I don't wanna play it in my video games. Although, Don't Fear the Reaper should be nice, with that awesome guitar breakdown halfway through the song.

When I first heard about the game, I wasn't too excited, since I wouldn't have anyone else to play the game with, and as someone who only spends $23 a month on games, I am not about to spend $200 on this game. But now that I'm moving in 4 days, and will have people to play the game with, I'm a bit more excited about it.

Looks like Rock Band may be a timed exclusive for X360!

Here's the invitation for the Rock Band party at E3, which from all appearances is the biggest, must-be-there event of the show. Question: in the giant pile of logos that appear on the bottom of the invitation, which is conspicuous by its absence?
Is this more evidence for my (still totally speculative and far-out) theory that there's some kind of exclusivity deal in the works for Rock Band and Xbox 360?
Now, there are plenty of reasons why the PlayStation 3 logo might not be on there. Maybe the only copies of the game at the party will be running on Xbox 360, and Sony didn't want their brand on the same bill as Xbox. Maybe Microsoft is putting up some of the cash for this show, and Sony isn't. Maybe the "super secret special guest" is Steve Ballmer, who's going to perform his show-stopping rendition of Gloria Estefan's "Get On Your Feet."
But consider this, which I neglected to mention when last I was spinning my crazy wheels over this: when Microsoft was calling journalists to book behind-closed-doors meetings to see games like Halo 3 and Mass Effect, it was also booking Rock Band meetings. It was the only third-party game on the list.
This, too, doesn't prove much of anything. I might ask, "why would they show a simultaneous-release, multiplatform game at their first-party game venue?" And you could answer "because it's freaking Rock Band, idiot" and you'd be totally right. I couldn't argue that point. Rock Band might sell as many Xbox 360s as Halo 3 does, even if it's day-and-date with a PS3 version. It's going to be just that immense.
At any rate, I still would not bet money on this. Not a lot of money, anyway. Like ten bucks. I am totally okay with being proven wrong at E3. All the same, the idea that Microsoft will announce at least timed exclusivity for Rock Band at E3 is seeming less and less crazy. As I said earlier:
There really isn't a big PS3 userbase out there right now. So EA really isn't hurting themselves by only releasing Rock Band on Xbox 360 for this holiday season. Plus, consider that this game is going to be amazingly, stupidly popular, and that they have to create three peripherals alongside it. Wouldn't it be a lot easier on them to just create them for one console, this holiday? And really, Microsoft is willing to throw around absurd amounts of money for less important things.

rocksmudge_2.jpg

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/07/rock-band-and-t.html#more

2 things about that poster: First, Nickeloden!? Come on. Second, only the 360 logo is shown.
I guess it would make sense if the nasty rumor I heard was true.

I was holding out on getting a PS3 until a good number of quality games came out. However, this game alone might actually get me to spend $700 + tax (did I just say that?!? Where's that flying pig at?).

You know, I know Rock Band is the next big thing (I personally hate Rhythm games), but I think Guitar Hero might sell better. For the reason that Guitar Hero has name recognition, and people will think Rock Band is an immitator although it's actually the original creators of Guitar Hero working on it. I'm just saying Name ID might be enough to push more GH units than RB.

I think RB will have a pre-order only bundle containing all peripherals though.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']This guy thinks Rock Band is gonna sell just as many Xbox 360's as Halo 3? What a moron. Nobody is gonna buy a $400 Xbox 360 AND a $200 game.[/QUOTE]
y'know, i might do it just to spite you

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6174229&tag=latestnews;title;1

The Battle of the Bands is officially on. Yesterday, the Neversoft-developed Guitar Hero III revealed the python-enthused former Guns N' Roses fretter Slash would rock on a variety of unlockable guitars. Today, original Guitar Hero developer Harmonix fired back with the announcement that it will offer not just hit singles for gamers to play, but entire full-length albums from multiple labels.

The first band to receive the digital conversion will be classic British rockers The Who. Gamers will be able to form a virtual cover band playing guitar, hitting the drums, and singing along to the band's widely acclaimed 1971 album Who's Next. The album should hit soon after the game's release this fall, with new content planned on a weekly basis. For those a bit rusty on their classic rock, the full track list for the album follows:

The Who's Who's Next
: "Baba O' Riley"
"Bargain"
"Love Ain't for Keepin'"
"My Wife (Entwistle)"
"The Song Is Over"
"Getting in Tune"
"Going Movile"
"Behind Blue Eyes"
"Won't Get Fooled Again"

Harmonix also announced the first 15 songs from the retail edition of Rock Band. A glance at the list reveals a wide array of rock subgenres and decades represented, from David Bowie and Black Sabbath to The Hives and The Strokes. The first 15 songs from Rock Band are listed below, with the new songs in bold:

Artist - Song (asterisk indicates a cover version of a song)
The Who - "Won't Get Fooled Again"
Mountain - "Mississippi Queen"*
David Bowie - "Suffragette City"
Black Sabbath - "Paranoid"*
Blue Oyster Cult - "Don't Fear the Reaper"
The Ramones - "Rockaway Beach”
Rush - "Tom Sawyer"*
Bon Jovi - "Wanted Dead or Alive"
Nirvana - "In Bloom"
Stone Temple Pilots - "Vasoline"
Weezer - "Say It Ain't So"
Foo Fighters - “Learn to Fly”
The Hives - "Main Offender"
The Strokes - "Reptilia"
Queens of the Stone Age - "Go With the Flow"
Nice. Seven new songs, one cover, and the first word on DLC (full albums!).

Love the Foo Fighters song.

[quote name='kennistond']They just announced Metallica's Enter Sandman as well.[/quote]
They just reposted that same article with a few additions: :lol:

But wait, there's more. Hoping to toll the bell on its competition, Harmonix revealed the Grammy-winning "Enter Sandman" from Metallica's 1991 Black album will be included in Rock Band's initial lineup shipping with the game. Announced at the end of EA's press conference, Kathy Vrabeck also made mention that a "substantial" number of songs from Metallica's catalog are slated to appear in the game.

Holy shit.

YES Tom Sawyer!

Now all they need to do is confirm Welcome to the Jungle is in the game (since they were playing it in the video that leaked last week) and I'll be happy

[quote name='evanft']Pffft...Enter Sandman sucks. Any song from the first four albums would have been superior.[/quote]

Master of Puppets, Fade to Black, For Whom the Bell Tolls...:drool:

I see that Tom Sawyer is a cover, probably because no one would be able to do the singing part if it was the real version w/ Geddy Lee's singing........

[quote name='anomynous']I see that Tom Sawyer is a cover, probably because no one would be able to do the singing part if it was the real version w/ Geddy Lee's singing........[/quote]Claudio Sanchez of Coheed and Cambria can probably match Geddy's ridiculously high vocals.

[quote name='anomynous']I see that Tom Sawyer is a cover, probably because no one would be able to do the singing part if it was the real version w/ Geddy Lee's singing........[/quote]
Harmonix has said that they're going to be getting master tracks for every song unless the master doesn't exist anymore, so that must be the case here. Rush was in GHII last year, which was a cover, too, I believe, so this isn't really anything new.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Harmonix has said that they're going to be getting master tracks for every song unless the master doesn't exist anymore, so that must be the case here. Rush was in GHII last year, which was a cover, too, I believe, so this isn't really anything new.[/QUOTE]

YYZ is an instrumental though, no singing.

[quote name='evanft']Pffft...Enter Sandman sucks. Any song from the first four albums would have been superior.[/QUOTE]

Oh, whine. This is a *major* coup for this game, since Metallica is the one band that many, many people requested, but few ever expected to see in the game.

EA or not, the fact that this is being developed by Harmonix makes it, IMO, the "true" successor to GHII. My only concern, at all, is that the screenshots seem to only show four rows on each. I hope I'm wrong; otherwise, the simplicity of that would be a damn shame.

And the idea of entire albums is neat (BABA O'REILLY!?!?!?!?!? AWESOME!!!), though I loathe to think what they will cost. I hope that, like the accessories for the game, they can be purchase a la carte.

If they hold up to what they say is happening, and they dont seriously mess the game up some how, this may end up being my favorite game of all time. I figured it would end up full of Nickelback and Fall Out Boy, as opposed to talent laden music. Who's Next? fuck, hell yes.

[quote name='mykevermin']EA or not, the fact that this is being developed by Harmonix makes it, IMO, the "true" successor to GHII. My only concern, at all, is that the screenshots seem to only show four rows on each. I hope I'm wrong; otherwise, the simplicity of that would be a damn shame.[/quote]
Four rows? of what?

[quote name='mykevermin']Err...sorry. Four rows in each player's screen. For four buttons (as opposed to GH's 5).[/quote]Drums have 4 rows, since there are 4 drum pads. The kick drum is an orange line across the board. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing 5 notes on the left and right (guitar/bass).

[quote name='evanft']Pffft...Enter Sandman sucks. Any song from the first four albums would have been superior.[/QUOTE]

There's still a good chance you'll get to see something from those albums. Read the article again:

But wait, there's more. Hoping to toll the bell on its competition, Harmonix revealed the Grammy-winning "Enter Sandman" from Metallica's 1991 Black album will be included in Rock Band's initial lineup shipping with the game. Announced at the end of EA's press conference, Kathy Vrabeck also made mention that a "substantial" number of songs from Metallica's catalog are slated to appear in the game.

[quote name='mykevermin']Err...sorry. Four rows in each player's screen. For four buttons (as opposed to GH's 5).[/QUOTE]

Look again; there are 5 buttons on the guitar/bass parts. Its just the drum parts that only show 4 buttons. In the Welcome to the Jungle video you can clearly see 5 buttons for the guitar parts.

[quote name='Buster Rod G']Look again; there are 5 buttons on the guitar/bass parts. Its just the drum parts that only show 4 buttons. In the Welcome to the Jungle video you can clearly see 5 buttons for the guitar parts.[/QUOTE]

Lovely. Glad to see I'm wrong.

[quote name='mykevermin']Err...sorry. Four rows in each player's screen. For four buttons (as opposed to GH's 5).[/quote]
In addition to Buster Rod G's post, drums also technically have 5 buttons (four drums plus the kick pedal for the orange lines you see in the videos).

full albums every week :drool:
am so gonna have to return my premium to get an elite...all that music is gonna take up way more than 20 gigs :lol: that and now that i think about it...all these fall games are gonna have huge dl content such as the ones that are out for current games like gears and r6

Harmonix is making it easier and easier to choose Rock Band over GHIII. Even the tiny bit of track list currently unveiled beats the crap out of Guitar Hero's, and what with all the money MTV and EA can throw around, it can only get exponentially better. Just so long as the guitar portion of the game is as well fleshed out as it's competition, I'm sold.

Oh, and Welcome to the Jungle, Enter Sandman, and Baba O'Reilly together? Three of my most-wanted-to-be-included-in-Guitar-Hero-II songs? Yezzir.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']full albums every week :drool:
am so gonna have to return my premium to get an elite...all that music is gonna take up way more than 20 gigs :lol: that and now that i think about it...all these fall games are gonna have huge dl content such as the ones that are out for current games like gears and r6[/QUOTE]

As of now my HDD only has 2.8 gigs left. I'll either have to buy a new 120 HDD or just upgrade to an elite. I was a little disappointed though that the newly announced halo 3 xbox only has the 20GB HDD or else I would have been all over that.

Wow @ the new songs. Too bad I won't be able to play this for such a long time, though this game alone makes me want to buy next gen sooner rather than later.

Also, no need to compare GH3 with this - why not get both? Assuming you already have GH2, then GH3 is only a smaller incremental amount to purchase (relative to the large outlie for Rock Band and it's peripherals).

[quote name='Greetard']Oh, and Welcome to the Jungle, Enter Sandman, and Baba O'Reilly together? Three of my most-wanted-to-be-included-in-Guitar-Hero-II songs? Yezzir.[/QUOTE]

There is no confirmation that Welcome to the Jungle is in Rock Band. It is in GH3 though.

I'll be getting both games. If the release dates stick to what I've heard, they'll both be out within a week of each other. I'm gonna need some time off work or something. ;)

The announced tracks for both games so far are excellent.

Awesome HD Suffragette City video @ GameTrailers: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21680.html

Wanted Dead or Alive footage over at Joystiq: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/13/impromptu-e3-gathering-wants-rock-band-dead-or-alive/

Some random dude's hands-on montage from E3 here on Youtube:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMPh59AEpdM[/media]
Too bad no one has footage online from G4's coverage yesterday. The HMX folks played Suffragette City and then let the G4 crew try their hand at..Main Offender, I believe? It was interesting to see somebody play so poorly (even worse than Peter Moore!) ;)

oh man.. if i ever play this on LIVE.. the singer better be good, or I am muting his voice..

Looks good.. wish the drums were a bit less flat... and for the love of God, if EA use their own servers we are screwed.

bread's done
Back