Old Stock Walmart Clearance games for $5 (YMMV depending on stock)

UncleBob

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Original Post:

This week, Walmart did some clearance price changes on a lot of older video game stock. Many, many titles went down to $5.

A lot of this was older sports titles, so if you've got a hankerin' for some Madden 09, rush to your nearest ghetto Walmart now.

Aside from that, there were some gems. The AC/DC Track Pack went down to $5 (though the bundles with the shirt are still $30).

More importantly, Metroid Prime 3, Wario Ware Smooth Moves and Pokémon: Battle Revolution went down to $5 as well. Managed to pick up the one I needed (Battle Revolution) and a few extras for trade. :D

So, good luck hunting and post your finds in here so others can know what to look out for.

Again, these are nationwide price changes. As long as your store has 'em in stock and has worked the price change (yes, as we discussed in length in the 3DS price change thread oh-so-long-ago, someone in the store, usually the department manager, has to accept the price change before it goes into effect) the prices are good to go wherever the older games are in stock.

==========

TRUE Walmart List for Discounted Games
Go to this post:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9354876&postcount=153

Thanks, N1ntendo.
5.gif

==========

List of (protential) clearance games @ your local walmart. compiled by GTAERgameing

$5
.hack, Part 3: Outbreak :ps2:
AC/DC Live: Rock Band Track Pack :ps3: :wii: :360:
Ape Escape :psp:
Baten Kaitos Origins :gc:
Battalion Wars 2 :wii:
Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of WW2 :ps3:
Cabela's Big Game Hunter '10 :360:
Daxter :psp:
F.E.A.R. :ps3:
F.E.A.R. Files :ps3: :360:
FIFA Soccer 08 :ps2: :ps3: :wii:
FIFA Soccer 10 :ps2: :ps3:
Gallop Racer 2006 :ps2:
Madden NFL 2006
Madden NFL 09 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition :ps3:
Madden NFL 09
Medal of Honor Collection :ps2:
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption :wii:
Monsters vs. Aliens :wii:
NCAA Football 2009 :wii:
NHL 2009 :360:
NHL 2010
NPPL Championship Paintball 2009 :wii:
Odama (with Microphone) :gc:
Pokemon Battle Revolution :wii:
Rapala Fishing Frenzy 2009 :360:
Secret Agent Clank :psp:
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology :ps2:
The Gunstringer :360:
The Simpsons Game :360:
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 :ps2:
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Wii Motion Plus Bundle :wii:
Timeshift :ps3: :360:
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 :ps3:
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune :ps3:
Vampire Rain
Vanquish :360:
WarioWare: Smooth Moves :wii:
Wipeout Pure :psp:
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009 :ps3:

$8
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

$10
Bayonetta :360:
EA Sports Active 2 Bundle :ps3: :wii: :360:

Anyone out there have any extra Simpsons games for the PS3 or F.E.A.R 1 for the PS3 clearanced at their Walmart? I'd gladly pay a little extra and for shipping if you could get me one of them or one of each.

[quote name='Lord Izanagi']^Report him. Seriously. People who refuse to honor price changes are losers. Best Buy is one of the worst offenders.[/QUOTE]

Are you fucking serious? There is too much to point out that's wrong with this post.

[quote name='adamical']Mega Man ZX Collection does not exist.

Mega Man ZX is on clearance for $5, but there is only 1 left in the entire chain.

Mega Man Zero Collection was released in 2010 and is not part of this clearance.[/QUOTE]
For some reason, I get Megan Man Zero and ZX mixed up, so I probably saw Zero collection and got excited. Thank you for the breakdown, Dr. Light.

[quote name='sgaldis']First of all, N1ntendo, thanks for the awesome list! You definitely seem to be more in the know than anyone else in this thread, so maybe you can help shed some light on some of the questions we've had, like how come different stores don't have the same pricing, etc... It is literally an issue of every title having to be individually scanned to 'update' to the clearance pricing? If that is the case, I can imagine that some of these titles won't get price updates for literally years in some WM's.

Again, your list is really cool, I appreciate the u/l; it's really neat and unique to get to see an insider's list like this, that allows you to see the available amount of games out there. A couple random OG Xbox games popped up at a WM I went to a few days ago, and, according to the list, one is the last copy available in the chain, and the other is 1 of 2. I would love to have them for my collection, especially for $5, but I really don't want to pay the $15-20 they would be at the old prices.

Also, it sucks to see that NCAA Basketball '10 should be $5 now. Just found not two weeks ago for $39.xx, and snapped it right up. :([/QUOTE]
When i was working with the managers for these games, they had to scan it and see that it had dropped to $5. But they said if it was on the list, then it should have no problem scanning correctly. It is part of their February Clearance Sale all month long. Some Walmarts are bunching them up in bins, other stores have left them in the glass case. Stores with a lot more inventory or if they choose to can shove all of the product in the designated clearance aisle of their store. I have seen it happen before. Most stores need to get rid of their old inventory or the higher up from Walmart get angry. Maybe they don't have a rep there at those locations....

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Toss']Ymmv part is probably due to different UPC stickers. I got 2 copies of NCAA 09 wii. One rang up at 5, the other 24.xx. Both had UPC stickers over th original printed cover, under the plastic. One had 2 different stickers over the original. Also the ds Zelda game is phantom hourglass.[/QUOTE]
the different stickers are from that Walmart gets sent PALLETS of games for specific displays from different distributors. Some are used for displays in wide aisle outside the department, others for Clearance Endcaps or Family Game Night presentations. When those titles sit for too long, it is my job to pull them off the shelves to be returned as recall to be re=packaged I am guessing. If I don't send the games out, they don't get recalled or repackaged and the game (and its price) is stuck with them unless a Manager decides to perform an override. If there is no UPC sticker covering the back, it is most likely a Walmart game and is the prime candidate when clearances happen. Hope this helps clear things up.

went to 2 stores. Found about 1000 AC/DC track packs (lol) and not much else. Did manage to find 1 copy of Bayonetta for Xbox. Really happy with that as I have been wanting to try that game out for a while.

1store I went to while on vacation had 13 ds phantom hourglass salads! Nothing else

edit: salads=Zelda - typing in my touch pad sucks, the predictive/spell check function makes it infuriatjng

[quote name='Toss']1store I went to while on vacation had 13 ds phantom hourglass salads! Nothing else

edit: salads=Zelda - typing in my touch pad sucks, the predictive/spell check function makes it infuriatjng[/QUOTE]

phantom hourglass salad sounds pretty tasty right about now!

[quote name='Nintendonly']Are you fucking serious? There is too much to point out that's wrong with this post.[/QUOTE]

That so? Best Buy had a ton of $5 games on their site that they refused to sell to me at the store. And what else would you call a person who won't mark anything down until they have first dibs on it?

My Walmart only has Dexter and Clank for psp.

If anyone has or can get me smoothe moves, battalion wars 2, or pokemon.

Id gladly pay shipping fees and cost of game.

PM me.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Whew! Let the treasure hunt begin![/QUOTE]

Oh it's already begun! Sold all the copies of Smooth Moves I could find in town. lol

As expected, the closest WM store to me had no copies of Blazing Angels 2, even though I distinctly remembered seeing 1-2 of them before the holidays. But they did have some AC/DC track packs across most platforms, anyone looking for those?:lol:

Grabbed an unmarked copy of Trauma Center New Blood for $5. The lady who scanned it for me was really confused too, I take it they weren't informed. The only thing that was marked was AC/DC.

[quote name='Laglace']Grabbed an unmarked copy of Trauma Center New Blood for $5. The lady who scanned it for me was really confused too, I take it they weren't informed. The only thing that was marked was AC/DC.[/QUOTE]

Someone got the last of those. I wanted to get it to actually try it. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I saw somebody post that they had found EA Sports Active 2 for $10. I would be interested in it at that price. Never tried any of those fitness games.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Thought I saw somebody post that they had found EA Sports Active 2 for $10. I would be interested in it at that price. Never tried any of those fitness games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah there were plenty of those (for all 3 systems) at both the WMs I went too. One even had them on an endcap with a giant clearance sign.

This is so weird, how some stores still don't have the reduced prices, even for the almost-universal AC/DC Track Pack. WTF, Wally World!

[quote name='ratandjmt']Still nothing in Grand Forks, ND. I scanned one of the AC/DC track packs and it rang up at $19.97.[/QUOTE]

Lmao! Those things were at each store I went to and for $5. 1 even had a sticker...something like...was $13.50, now $5.

I'm just hoping someone like N1ntendo will come back and help us shed a little more light on the clearance price updating system that WM uses. I still can't quite grasp it; it's seems to be such a random mystery as to what prices titles will ring up from store to store; I know that these store to store, YMMV clearances are usually par for the course for WM (trust me, I visit enough of them to know), and prices tend to be set by individual store managers, but so much was made of these clearance prices being universal, I'm still a bit confused.

Their system seems to be more complex than say what we go through with BBV when they have to just download/accept one all-inclusive super update from their central system with all new and sale prices. At WM do they: A) have to just do something similar to this and are some stores are super-lazy? B) Download some kind of additional update since this is part of the seasonal February clearance or C) Give employees some kind of master list with each title to be marked down, and have them scan each title individually?

If any of you are in the know about this, and can help us understand this a little better, please let us know!

WariowareDIY scanned at 34.97 at WM in Maryland. And, the lady in front of me started screaming at the clerk for no reason. I hate WM.

[quote name='sgaldis']I'm just hoping someone like N1ntendo will come back and help us shed a little more light on the clearance price updating system that WM uses. I still can't quite grasp it; it's seems to be such a random mystery as to what prices titles will ring up from store to store; I know that these store to store, YMMV clearances are usually par for the course for WM (trust me, I visit enough of them to know), and prices tend to be set by individual store managers, but so much was made of these clearance prices being universal, I'm still a bit confused.

Their system seems to be more complex than say what we go through with BBV when they have to just download/accept one all-inclusive super update from their central system with all new and sale prices. At WM do they: A) have to just do something similar to this and are some stores are super-lazy? B) Download some kind of additional update since this is part of the seasonal February clearance or C) Give employees some kind of master list with each title to be marked down, and have them scan each title individually?

If any of you are in the know about this, and can help us understand this a little better, please let us know![/QUOTE]

There are two types of clearance, one is the "universal" while the other is "budget". The store manage can set a budget, say 5K and then they start randomly discounting things to move. For example a barbie is 19.99 they mark it down to 9.99 and the store has 100. Well that's 1K of their budget gone on a doll. That's why you usually only see a couple dollars, and rarely you see video games in the budget clearance.

The next one is this universal clearance. The proper procedure is that the gun downloads a list, you locate the each item on the list count how many enter the amount and then print a price tag when you accept the price change. The person also has the ability to NOT accept the price change.

So for example, the list says metroid 3 is 5 and I'm suppose to have 5. So I find only 2, enter the change for the two and accept.

The flip side is, well I think 5 is too low so let's skip that one. Oh I have 300 acdc, let me accept that change.

Also some other variables... Say I sell those 2 that day and after a month the other three pop up. Well I would have to add those 3 back on file, which could convert it back to regular retail price.

There's also people who do it the unproper way and just accept all changes, this is done mainly during seasonal clearence. No one wants to find 80 packs of blue light to mark it 50 percent off. Then find the same light when it drops to 75.

Side Note, I found hack at one store that rang up at 49.99. But I found uncharted (greatest hits) at another store, thought it had to be non gh version but had the clerk scan it and rang up 5. He did the double take... store also was pack full of other games so Ima hit it once I look at the list again.

Picked up the Medal Of Honor 3 pack for 5 bucks, it was the last one.

They had around 10 Tiger woods games @ $5 too and the cover has him screaming, fists clenched, like he's soooo pissed that he got marked down, like they filled in all 18 of his holes with sand or something.

Found Tiger Woods 10 w/ Motionplus for $5

Also found 4 little combo boxes that had a 2000 Wii Points card and some ridiculous classic controller sleeve for $15 each. Grabbed all 4 of those.

[quote name='ets']There are two types of clearance, one is the "universal" while the other is "budget". The store manage can set a budget, say 5K and then they start randomly discounting things to move. For example a barbie is 19.99 they mark it down to 9.99 and the store has 100. Well that's 1K of their budget gone on a doll. That's why you usually only see a couple dollars, and rarely you see video games in the budget clearance.

The next one is this universal clearance. The proper procedure is that the gun downloads a list, you locate the each item on the list count how many enter the amount and then print a price tag when you accept the price change. The person also has the ability to NOT accept the price change.

So for example, the list says metroid 3 is 5 and I'm suppose to have 5. So I find only 2, enter the change for the two and accept.

The flip side is, well I think 5 is too low so let's skip that one. Oh I have 300 acdc, let me accept that change.

Also some other variables... Say I sell those 2 that day and after a month the other three pop up. Well I would have to add those 3 back on file, which could convert it back to regular retail price.

There's also people who do it the unproper way and just accept all changes, this is done mainly during seasonal clearence. No one wants to find 80 packs of blue light to mark it 50 percent off. Then find the same light when it drops to 75.

Side Note, I found hack at one store that rang up at 49.99. But I found uncharted (greatest hits) at another store, thought it had to be non gh version but had the clerk scan it and rang up 5. He did the double take... store also was pack full of other games so Ima hit it once I look at the list again.[/QUOTE]

How do you know this?

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']How do you know this?[/QUOTE]

He probably worked for, works for, or pays attention at walmart. I figured out TRU and BB POS just by watching employees.

Walmart clearance is done by department with an allocation of a certain amount for each department, and sometimes involves employees randomly walking around with a price gun doing discounts to the tune of whatever they feel is right as long as they don't go over the total limit for the department. I know this because I personally saw it being done with my own eyes and overheard an employee conversation about it one time. That is why clearance is random at Walmart.

[quote name='KtMack23']Nothing at my store :( if anyone wants to trade Wario or Metroid 3 for white Knight chronicles, pm me.[/QUOTE]

What wario? I'll take a look for ya, just let me know what I'm looking for, ds, wii, etc.

I definitely would like a few more ps3 titles I wasn't able to find

[quote name='yesidoknow']I have yet to find any games for 5 except the ACDC track pack =/[/QUOTE]

Same here, and I've been to 3 walmarts so far, and 2 kmarts looking for the $26 rock band 3 bundle, no luck at all, I bought an acdc track pack just for the code tho

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']How do you know this?[/QUOTE]

I was the department manager of electronics, I also did/assisted the markdowns for LG, Toys, Seasonal, and the regular clearance section.

[quote name='shadowkast']What wario? I'll take a look for ya, just let me know what I'm looking for, ds, wii, etc.

I definitely would like a few more ps3 titles I wasn't able to find[/QUOTE]

I think the Wii one is clearanced but I'll take either.

I personally did the price changes on the games we did have back on Tuesdays with our Mossiac (sp check) Vendor. A few games were NOF but after adding them back on file to their original price created a clearance price change the next day, and a count request :/. That could be a resulting factor with some of the other WM's, that or no one's doing price changes at all. She also had a pretty good size list of everything but I think I saw that posted the other day in here :)

All we had in my store were these
AC/DC - 360/PS3/Wii
EA Active 2 - 360/Wii/PS3
2006 Fifa World Cup - 360
NBA ?? Live - PS2
NHL 2010 - PS3
Tiger Woods ?? - Wii
Timeshift - 360

[quote name='2000man']WariowareDIY scanned at 34.97 at WM in Maryland. And, the lady in front of me started screaming at the clerk for no reason. I hate WM.[/QUOTE]

Me too...it's depressing.

[quote name='CAG90210']Was able to pick up a copy of Baten Kaitos Origins for $5. Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

Are you in SoCal? I might be hoping for too much from your username, but I work close to Beverly Hills, and I've been looking for this game for a while now. None of the Wal-Marts I've visited even have Gamecube games, but if there's even the possibility of me finding a new copy for $5 I figure I've gotta try.

[quote name='SaraAB']Walmart clearance is done by department with an allocation of a certain amount for each department, and sometimes involves employees randomly walking around with a price gun doing discounts to the tune of whatever they feel is right as long as they don't go over the total limit for the department. I know this because I personally saw it being done with my own eyes and overheard an employee conversation about it one time. That is why clearance is random at Walmart.[/QUOTE]

This is true - but only with regards to some price changes. This post:

[quote name='ets']There are two types of clearance, one is the "universal" while the other is "budget". The store manage can set a budget, say 5K and then they start randomly discounting things to move. [...] The next one is this universal clearance. The proper procedure is that the gun downloads a list, you locate the each item on the list count how many enter the amount and then print a price tag when you accept the price change. The person also has the ability to NOT accept the price change.[/QUOTE]

...is pretty darn accurate. The line about "not" accepting the price change is a little off though - if the individual working the price change chooses not to accept it at that time, the price change stays in the system until it is worked. Eventually, it shows up on various reports as "late". Eventually, the Market, then Regional office is calling asking why your store has late price changes.

[quote name='Jake_Jenova']I personally did the price changes on the games we did have back on Tuesdays with our Mossiac (sp check) Vendor. A few games were NOF but after adding them back on file to their original price created a clearance price change the next day, and a count request :/. That could be a resulting factor with some of the other WM's, that or no one's doing price changes at all. She also had a pretty good size list of everything but I think I saw that posted the other day in here :)[/quote]

This is another thing. Walmart's inventory system is AWFUL. Older merchandise will just "fall out" of the system for no reason whatsoever that anyone can determine. Seriously, the employee can go through and scan every single game in the department, putting everything "on file" and a week later, some of those same items will just "drop" out of the system.

If your individual store does not have a particular item "on file" at their store, then their store will not receive the price change in the system. As Jake pointed out, once the store puts the item "on file", the system will request the "prime" item information from Home Office - if it finds it (which, of course, it almost always does), and if there are any price changes from the "base" price, they'll fall within the next day or two.

[quote name='Lord Izanagi']That so? Best Buy had a ton of $5 games on their site that they refused to sell to me at the store. And what else would you call a person who won't mark anything down until they have first dibs on it?[/QUOTE]

That's different. Those are actually marked unlike these Walmart ones.

And they probably had the fine print of "prices vary in store" that you have to abide by as soon as you step foot in the store.

[quote name='Unspoken Wizard']Anyone know the trade in value for the acdc pack at gamestop?[/QUOTE]

$0.50, if you are lucky. The shit's worthless like the fitness games people are getting all happy for. Seriously people, learn how to like decent games and not shovelware crap.

[quote name='Nintendonly']$0.50, if you are lucky. The shit's worthless like the fitness games people are getting all happy for. Seriously people, learn how to like decent games and not shovelware crap.[/QUOTE]

AC/DC is not shovel ware. I bought it just to import the songs into my rock band library thank you.

And ea sports active 2 is not your typical Wii fitness game. Comes with allot more than just the game.

I get your point but your rant doesn't apply to this thread

I went to both my local Wal-Marts yesterday, and either someone beat me to it or they just didn't have any decent games for clearance. You can add :psp: Twisted Metal to the clearance list- I saw the price tag for $5 in the glass case, but they were sold out. Like everyone else, they both had a million ACDC Track Packs, haha.

Anyway, I *did* happen to see a couple Gunstringers in the glass case, marked $39.96. Like any good CAG would, I went over to the service desk and asked if I could get a price check. The lady asked something along the lines of "does it not have a price tag?" to which I replied I just wanted to make sure the tagged price was correct. It was easy to see she didn't want to, because she passed the job to another employee in the section. So we get to the case, asked which one I wanted to price check, and I tell her. She picks up the game, looks at the UPC on the game and the sales tag, and says it's $39.96 because they match.

... I wanted to facepalm SO BAD, but I resisted the urge, and just told her the price could have changed between the time the tag was made and now. I could swear the employee rolled her eyes as she shut the glass case and powerwalked back to the service desk. I gestured for another customer she'd helped to go ahead, and as she passed me she was like "you just want to make her job hard on her, don't you?" I couldn't tell if she was kidding or not.

Well, she got unhappy pretty quickly, because she couldn't buy the game she got from the case. It was that new Zumba Fitness game that doesn't come out until Monday. I'm surprised they put it in the case. And after that was established, the employee scanned the Gunstringer- it was $39.96. I apologized for the trouble and left. It wasn't really that bad of an experience, but it was the worst I've ever had at Wal-Mart.

bread's done
Back