Playstation 3D Display $199.99 at GameStop & Best Buy

Kingmob46

CAGiversary!
Gamestop

Best Buy

Edit 5: Seems Best Buy is back in stock, Newegg is now $249.

Edit 4: [damn this thread won't die!] Newegg is now @ $199 [free ship, not tax for most, also Shoprunner eligible] Best Buy still has it @ $199 but it is back-ordered on .com, check for stock in store. Thanks to TheTruth1983 [that you Paul?] for the Newegg info!

EDIT 3: Now dead at Best Buy, YMMV Price Match?

EDIT 2: This does not include the extra glasses/MLB bundle at either location. Just the monitor, 1 pair of glasses, and Motorstorm Apocalypse. Thank you to all the posting Caggers for the updates!

Ok, Don't kill the messenger,this is just a kindly FYI service, the Playstation 3D display/bundle [what ever they have in stock] will be $199 next week.

Buy 4 and use them to prop up your bed for extra storage :bouncy:

EDIT:
I will just add this bit of information, though we will not be able to confirm it until the 27th. When I was talking to the GS employee who told me about this sale last week; he indicated that GS was "clearing out" the stock on hand and that what ever stock/bundle he had was going to be $199. Again, I CANNOT CONFIRM THIS. However, I will be in that store Wednesday morning just in case the bundles [with extra games/glasses] are $199.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Japanaman']It only does
not display television[/QUOTE]
Most people have something nowadays with a TV tuner in it, other than a TV. Anything that can record (VCR, DVD Recorder, DVR) will generally have a tuner in it. Not to mention lots of people have cable boxes. If you really want to use this for television shows, all you have to do is hook up one of these things to it.

I know this may be a stupid question.... But since it only has HDMI and Component inputs...is there any way to use older systems with it that only have AV cables? Like N64/Saturn/PSX? Is there a anyway to convert AV to work through a component input? Not a dealbreaker for me, but just curious. Thanks.

For $200 I love this thing. I should've gone with a desktop the way I have my laptop setup. I have my laptop on top of my desk with a wired keyboard, wired mouse, and this display as the main monitor :/

[quote name='sega_for_life']I know this may be a stupid question.... But since it only has HDMI and Component inputs...is there any way to use older systems with it that only have AV cables? Like N64/Saturn/PSX? Is there a anyway to convert AV to work through a component input? Not a dealbreaker for me, but just curious. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Basically, don't count on it. You could get a converter, but it would cost about $60, probably reduce quality, and almost certainly introduce lag.

[quote name='sega_for_life']I know this may be a stupid question.... But since it only has HDMI and Component inputs...is there any way to use older systems with it that only have AV cables? Like N64/Saturn/PSX? Is there a anyway to convert AV to work through a component input? Not a dealbreaker for me, but just curious. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

If you had an s-video cable for those consoles you could get an s-video to component adapter. I've done it on another 24 inch monitor I have with my Saturn.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006DS8M30/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1340719617&sr=8-2
It won't look as good as it would if it naturally had component cables but it'll get the job done.

[quote name='Video-Gamer']When it will be $149 maybe....[/QUOTE]

Next Tuesday at 3:30 PM.

Seriously, how stupid do you have to be to ask questions like this in a thread. How the fuck are we supposed to know? Crystal ball? Tarot cards?

Find a multi a/v box, quite a few had component out. I had an old one made by pelican that did that.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=230817007737&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=75803568054

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Next Tuesday at 3:30 PM.

Seriously, how stupid do you have to be to ask questions like this in a thread. How the fuck are we supposed to know? Crystal ball? Tarot cards?[/QUOTE]

"when it will" =/= "when will it".. he's saying he'll get it when it will be $149.

[quote name='Scorch']"when it will" =/= "when will it".. he's saying he'll get it when it will be $149.[/QUOTE]

Your avatar picture makes your response even better

[quote name='crypto186']I used to have glasses. Wearing 3d wasn't bad at all, but you do feel just a tiny bit weird when looking sideways (peripheral vision).

Contacts now and it's simply amazing!

My PS3 TV occasionally blanks/goes black when playing netflix or in an intense bf3 fight, but idk if it's defective.. I still want to buy another one![/QUOTE]

Well, if the thread on the PS forums is to be believed, it's a common defect that can be fixed by RMA warranty

I just came from GS and employee showed me the official email regarding the $199 display. $199 is on the basic bundle only (display, hdmi cable, Motorstorm, 1 pair of glasses). Price drop does not effect the bundle with the extra glasses and MLB 12.

[quote name='Gtar38690000']I just came from GS and employee showed me the official email regarding the $199 display. $199 is on the basic bundle only (display, hdmi cable, Motorstorm, 1 pair of glasses). Price drop does not effect the bundle with the extra glasses and MLB 12.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this. I was going to trade in my copy of the Show, but now I'll keep it, obviously.

[quote name='Gtar38690000']I just came from GS and employee showed me the official email regarding the $199 display. $199 is on the basic bundle only (display, hdmi cable, Motorstorm, 1 pair of glasses). Price drop does not effect the bundle with the extra glasses and MLB 12.[/QUOTE]

There doesn't appear to be any way to find stock of the Motorstorm bundle vs the one with MLB Show on the website. The OP suggested his store's manager is pricing all their bundles at that price though.

I have though about this deal long and hard and have decided that if it comes w/ the extra glasses and game I will buy it tomorrow and burn some GS credit that I had forgotten about.

Now, does anyone know if the bundle w/ the extras is in a different box or are they taped over the box or they just grab the extra things from the racks?

[quote name='Carlanga']I have though about this deal long and hard and have decided that if it comes w/ the extra glasses and game I will buy it tomorrow and burn some GS credit that I had forgotten about.

Now, does anyone know if the bundle w/ the extras is in a different box or are they taped over the box or they just grab the extra things from the racks?[/QUOTE]

When I got my $199 PS3 Black Friday LittleBigPlanet Bundle last November from Gamestop the box came with an extra cover over it, sort of how some video games have a slipcover over it. It came with a sticker slapped on topped covering the flaps. Maybe it might come packaged the same way.

[quote name='mkelehan']Basically, don't count on it. You could get a converter, but it would cost about $60, probably reduce quality, and almost certainly introduce lag.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']Find a multi a/v box, quite a few had component out. I had an old one made by pelican that did that.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=230817007737&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=75803568054[/QUOTE]

[quote name='perfectmf1386']If you had an s-video cable for those consoles you could get an s-video to component adapter. I've done it on another 24 inch monitor I have with my Saturn.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006DS8M30/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1340719617&sr=8-2
It won't look as good as it would if it naturally had component cables but it'll get the job done.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the replies guys! I think I'll go for it if I can pick one of these up in the next couple of days at Best Buy. I've been holding onto my CRT that's on its last leg for too long.

The PS3 Blu-Ray remote works with both my system and this display at same time, correct?

I'm hoping for YMMV City.

And the website shows the bundle in stock. If they keep that same bundle as what they mark on sale, it's on like Donkey Kong.

[quote name='sega_for_life']Thank you for the replies guys! I think I'll go for it if I can pick one of these up in the next couple of days at Best Buy. I've been holding onto my CRT that's on its last leg for too long.[/QUOTE]

I still miss the CRT once in awhile. Zelda Skyward Sword looked like ass playing on the LCD.

[quote name='Vice']I'm hoping for YMMV City.

And the website shows the bundle in stock. If they keep that same bundle as what they mark on sale, it's on like Donkey Kong.[/QUOTE]

Good luck, but I seriously doubt it. Back near the beginning of the thread, I posted similar info. The manager I spoke to (a buddy of mine) wasn't aware of the $199 deal yet, but he said that the extra glasses and game were completely separate and were thrown in to sweeten that particular bundle. Unless an employee is really confused, I don't see them grabbing those two items and adding them to the base unit during this sale.

I was looking forward to Sorcery for $20, but from what I'm reading that isn't going to happen. Which is total crap.

AH Alright, I think I'm breaking down lol. If it is in fact a bundle, Imma gonna pick it up. If not, it's $150 or bust. I just started a new job, 50 hours a week, and I want a present, dammit!

[quote name='Carlanga']I have though about this deal long and hard and have decided that if it comes w/ the extra glasses and game I will buy it tomorrow and burn some GS credit that I had forgotten about.

Now, does anyone know if the bundle w/ the extras is in a different box or are they taped over the box or they just grab the extra things from the racks?[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that the MLB game and extra pair of 3D glasses were grabbed off the shelf and rung up with the display for the discount to activate, and that promotion is apparently long over so they won't ring up as free with the display anymore regardless. There's only a single actual "bundle" with the display, the one that comes with Motorstorm and the HDMI cable, any other extras will be separate items sold together with it. So in short, the chance of picking up a bundle with the extra game/glasses for $200 is nill.

[quote name='therealdanhill']AH Alright, I think I'm breaking down lol. If it is in fact a bundle, Imma gonna pick it up. If not, it's $150 or bust. I just started a new job, 50 hours a week, and I want a present, dammit![/QUOTE]

Your present is that you have a job, in this bad economy and tough times.

But there isn't an entry for the 3d display bundle without the extra pair of glasses and MLB on the website. I don't think the base bundle would suddenly appear tomorrow would it?

[quote name='IzzyF3']But there isn't an entry for the 3d display bundle without the extra pair of glasses and MLB on the website. I don't think the base bundle would suddenly appear tomorrow would it?[/QUOTE]

It just appeared lol Actually it replaced the other one.
http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/playstation-3d-display/91799

On the deals page it says BONUS INCLUDED next to the 3D display but it does not mention what this bonus is anywhere...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link, very very tempted today. I'm considering replacing either my 19" PC monitor (Radeon card so I'm ok) or bedroom tv so I'll have a use for it either way.

[quote name='jedex']Do you think it would be possible to price match at BB?[/QUOTE]

Somebody earlier in the thread already did it before the sale even started but he said he has a good relationship with his store so that might be a special case. Might as well try it.

This should help for those asking about a BB price match.

What is considered a local retail competitor?

A local retail competitor for retail store purchases is a retail store located in the same market area (within a 25 mile radius) of your local Best Buy store. A local retail competitor for BestBuy.com purchases is a retail store located in the same market area (within a 25 mile radius) as either the billing address or the shipping address on record for the purchase.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Topics/Bestbuy.com-Price-Match-Guarantee/pcmcat204400050011.c?id=pcmcat204400050011

I would print that and snag it at BB. The link is posted from my mobile so hopefully it's clickable.

[quote name='caltab']This is not a TV, but rather a display- meaning that it does not have a built in TV tuner or remote control. You probably already knew this, but others viewing this thread may not.

Also, for those thinking about using this as 3d monitor for your PC, if you have an nvidia graphic card 3d is not supported.

LAstly, here is a lengthy thread from the playstation forums about problems with the display.

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3911087?start=0&tstart=0[/QUOTE]

the trailer says you can hook up your cable tv box to it. So long as you have some kind of cable box and use your cable remote doesn't it double as a tv then?

From reading all the posts from months ago regarding this display and the issues it has, it's pretty clear why it went to $199. Some things are just better left alone. Unless you just enjoy the aggravation.

I want this display but the reviews are holding me back. $199 is probably the right price point for this though. Not sure if I should bite.

[quote name='jkam']I want this display but the reviews are holding me back. $199 is probably the right price point for this though. Not sure if I should bite.[/QUOTE]

that's why i got it from best buy; I got a 30 day return policy so I am planning on running it for as long as possible to test it.

Just wanted to add that at $199, it is just the Motorstorm + 1 pair of glasses. I stopped by a Gamestop and saw the memo they sent out to their stores. It went something like:

"Drop the price to $199. We are stopping the promotion of $299 and get MLB and an extra pair of glasses. Get rid of any ads or banners advertising it."

I did decide to get one anyone, because the reviews that complain about defects also seem to agree that sending it back to Sony for repairs solved all problems. So I figure I just leave it on for 30 days or something.

Wow, lots of reports of failures on this thing. I was very tempted by the GameStop price point, but I already have far superior displays at home, so this thing would just sit around as a novelty 3D display; and if there's a high chance of it crapping out, then I feel like spending my money on the product would be giving the "okay" to Sony for making a junky display. Same reason I never bought a 360.

Best Buy has it for the same price. I went there about an 1hr ago to price match it but it rang up for 199.99 but had it mark on 249.99. Can't wait to try to it.

[quote name='AwRy108']Wow, lots of reports of failures on this thing. I was very tempted by the GameStop price point, but I already have far superior displays at home, so this thing would just sit around as a novelty 3D display; and if there's a high chance of it crapping out, then I feel like spending my money on the product would be giving the "okay" to Sony for making a junky display. Same reason I never bought a 360.[/QUOTE]

Read the post right above yours. Problem has been with a faulty power unit, I believe. Sony provides a 1 year warranty on it, sending it in to them has been resolving the issues. I know, it's a pain to go through, but it's not as if every single unit has issues. For what you get for the price, I'll risk a bit of inconvenience.

[quote name='TheRock88']Yup, it's on BB's website too so it should be good at all stores.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+Computer+Entertainment+America+-+PlayStation+3D+Display+Bundle/2891051.p;jsessionid=E05BAEE0C88C1152180A8D1D236C8DFD.bbolsp-app03-01?id=1218360683860&skuId=2891051&st=playstation%203d&cp=1&lp=6

I'm really considering getting it now[/QUOTE]

Wow, I'm definitely getting this now. I can use the 3x reward points card I got, plus I got the money on gift card from the trade ins I've done in the past few weeks. Gotta tell my wife, so she doesn't get mad at me (yes, this has to be done, keep her happy, and happy wife = gaming time later). :O

Edit: cant use that 3x points coupon if I pay by gift card. No biggy.

i'm still on the fence. wish Amazon price matched so i don't want to pay taxes and shipping.

bread's done
Back