Playstation 3D Display $199.99 at GameStop & Best Buy

Kingmob46

CAGiversary!
Gamestop

Best Buy

Edit 5: Seems Best Buy is back in stock, Newegg is now $249.

Edit 4: [damn this thread won't die!] Newegg is now @ $199 [free ship, not tax for most, also Shoprunner eligible] Best Buy still has it @ $199 but it is back-ordered on .com, check for stock in store. Thanks to TheTruth1983 [that you Paul?] for the Newegg info!

EDIT 3: Now dead at Best Buy, YMMV Price Match?

EDIT 2: This does not include the extra glasses/MLB bundle at either location. Just the monitor, 1 pair of glasses, and Motorstorm Apocalypse. Thank you to all the posting Caggers for the updates!

Ok, Don't kill the messenger,this is just a kindly FYI service, the Playstation 3D display/bundle [what ever they have in stock] will be $199 next week.

Buy 4 and use them to prop up your bed for extra storage :bouncy:

EDIT:
I will just add this bit of information, though we will not be able to confirm it until the 27th. When I was talking to the GS employee who told me about this sale last week; he indicated that GS was "clearing out" the stock on hand and that what ever stock/bundle he had was going to be $199. Again, I CANNOT CONFIRM THIS. However, I will be in that store Wednesday morning just in case the bundles [with extra games/glasses] are $199.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it at best buy with a 2 year protection plan for an extra $30. I usually hate spending extra and this is the 1st time I've ever bought insurance for an electronic, but for a bit of peace of mind, it should be worth it.

With about $70 in BB credit this is definitely tempting, ah decisions decisions. Just having a hard time because I don't exactly "need" a new PC monitor as mine works fine. It's only 19" but it does the job. I'm drawn to this for the PSP scaling feature....but even still I feel like I can live without it lol. Then again 2 monitors for my PC might be nice :)

I've had the monitor since launch and I can vouch for how good of a monitor it is. It has 2 HDMI ports, 1 component port, and 1 headphone jack. The 3d works both with ps3 and 360 as long as you have the proper hdmi cable (it comes with a pretty good one in the box).

I recommend picking up the Sony ps3 remote (the newer one) which works well with the monitor so you don't have to fuss with the side buttons. The controller works well for turning on the monitor, changing settings, flipping between 3d, and monitoring the volume. The controller can also be paired with your ps3 which makes it really relevant.

With all that said, the picture is great. Colors are vibrant, the picture is sharp, the response rate is good and games / media look top notch. It also doubles as a extended monitor for your PC for those of you that already have one monitor. I especially prefer monitors like these for shooters because I can easily spot enemies when compared to playing on a big screen. Smaller screens like these tend to be clearer and have a better picture as well.

The only issue I would note is that when I originally got the monitor from GameStop, my original display had 10+ stuck pixels (pure white) and I had to take it back for a different monitor. I don't know if I just got a bad monitor or if these monitors are known to have certain issues. I've also heard of dust under the glass. Mine does have 1 or 2 specs of dust near the bottom and top but are quite unnoticeable when sitting from far away or a video is playing. I would have to lean in close just to point out the dust. Other than that I haven't had any issues since.

[quote name='D.Choy']I've had the monitor since launch and I can vouch for how good of a monitor it is. It has 2 HDMI ports, 1 component port, and 1 headphone jack. The 3d works both with ps3 and 360 as long as you have the proper hdmi cable (it comes with a pretty good one in the box).

I recommend picking up the Sony ps3 remote (the newer one) which works well with the monitor so you don't have to fuss with the side buttons. The controller works well for turning on the monitor, changing settings, flipping between 3d, and monitoring the volume. The controller can also be paired with your ps3 which makes it really relevant.

With all that said, the picture is great. Colors are vibrant, the picture is sharp, the response rate is good and games / media look top notch. It also doubles as a extended monitor for your PC for those of you that already have one monitor. I especially prefer monitors like these for shooters because I can easily spot enemies when compared to playing on a big screen. Smaller screens like these tend to be clearer and have a better picture as well.

The only issue I would note is that when I originally got the monitor from GameStop, my original display had 10+ stuck pixels (pure white) and I had to take it back for a different monitor. I don't know if I just got a bad monitor or if these monitors are known to have certain issues. I've also heard of dust under the glass. Mine does have 1 or 2 specs of dust near the bottom and top but are quite unnoticeable when sitting from far away or a video is playing. I would have to lean in close just to point out the dust. Other than that I haven't had any issues since.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the review! Sounds pretty good. An extra warranty at BB for the extra $20 might not be bad either. Thanks for the info everyone.

I might have to go get this, definitely getting the warranty though!!

She might get mad, but if I have to sit through another episode of The Real Housewives I mine as well chop my balls off and shoot myself, this way I can be home all the time and not have to stay up until 4am to get my gaming in. Seriously, I have to watch WAY too much Bravo. BB here I come!

So getting this at BBY is better for the reward points and extended warrenty correct? Is there any difference in getting the 4 year warrenty vs the 2 year warrenty? Wouldn't you want the 4 year warrenty instead of the 2 year warrenty?

[quote name='snowmint']So getting this at BBY is better for the reward points and extended warrenty correct? Is there any difference in getting the 4 year warrenty vs the 2 year warrenty? Wouldn't you want the 4 year warrenty instead of the 2 year warrenty?[/QUOTE]

I would go for the 4 year warranty.

Will cover any basic wear and tear if anything goes wrong with it and they will replace it with something comparable if they can't fix it.

I would jump on this, but from looking at the input lag, it's really not appealing to me anymore, "we measured exactly two frames of lag when both 720p and 1080p content was being feed to the screen, translating into a "real world" 33ms response time."" This isn't huge, but to go from 5-9 ms lag on my current screen to 33, I think I would be largely unhappy.

Is there any other current BBY coupon that can be combined with the 3D monitor or it alright to just go ahead and buy it from BBY with the 4 year warrenty?

Okay, I have a question for some of you guys who may be better with computers than i happen to be. If i wanted to use this as a computer monitor, and i go out and buy a vga to hdmi adapter...would it just plug and play? Would i need a specific video card? Thanks, guys.

Well after reading up on the PlayStation forum thread I've decided to pick one of these up - seems like Sony makes returning it quite easy and fixed units don't really have problems.

I have a lot of Gamestop credit and can't think of anything coming up that I want to spend it on - hopefully I don't regret this.

[quote name='DoctorCharlesNichols']Okay, I have a question for some of you guys who may be better with computers than i happen to be. If i wanted to use this as a computer monitor, and i go out and buy a vga to hdmi adapter...would it just plug and play? Would i need a specific video card? Thanks, guys.[/QUOTE]

VGA doesn't do audio.

[quote name='Abear21']I might have to go get this, definitely getting the warranty though!!

She might get mad, but if I have to sit through another episode of The Real Housewives I mine as well chop my balls off and shoot myself, this way I can be home all the time and not have to stay up until 4am to get my gaming in. Seriously, I have to watch WAY too much Bravo. BB here I come![/QUOTE]

Get a Vita.

[quote name='Mugatu']Well after reading up on the PlayStation forum thread I've decided to pick one of these up - seems like Sony makes returning it quite easy and fixed units don't really have problems.

I have a lot of Gamestop credit and can't think of anything coming up that I want to spend it on - hopefully I don't regret this.[/QUOTE]

Lol I hear you, I've gone through $600 in credit on mostly Sony products in the last 3 weeks...Damn vita hit me hardest

While I can save on tax by getting this at Gamestop (since I have credit there), I think I might pick this up from Best Buy instead so that I can get the extended warranty with it. Can anyone else confirm that the 2 year plan is $19.99? Would the 4 year plan be $29.99 then?

[quote name='PDJ']I would jump on this, but from looking at the input lag, it's really not appealing to me anymore, "we measured exactly two frames of lag when both 720p and 1080p content was being feed to the screen, translating into a "real world" 33ms response time."" This isn't huge, but to go from 5-9 ms lag on my current screen to 33, I think I would be largely unhappy.[/QUOTE]

When you say 5-9ms of lag, are you talking about actual display latency, or response time? Because they're two different statistics. 5ms latency would mean you must have a 240hz screen at the least, and I don't know of any 240hz displays that actually display the images that quickly (since most 240hz displays have extra post processing and scaling engines that take up a good chunk of time).

33ms is actually pretty reasonable. Most HDTVs have display latency of 60ms or above.

[quote name='technicalstylez']u mean dvi. vga does video just fine.[/QUOTE]

No, he's right. VGA is only video, like DVI. HDMI carries both.

[quote name='DoctorCharlesNichols']Okay, I have a question for some of you guys who may be better with computers than i happen to be. If i wanted to use this as a computer monitor, and i go out and buy a vga to hdmi adapter...would it just plug and play? Would i need a specific video card? Thanks, guys.[/QUOTE]

If your computer has a DVI port, you'd be much better off getting a DVI to HDMI adapter. They're extremely cheap and will yield a much higher quality.

With the 4 year warrenty can you replace the defective products as many times as you want when it breaks down during those 4 years or would have to renew the warerenty everytime you replaced it?

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']Lol I hear you, I've gone through $600 in credit on mostly Sony products in the last 3 weeks...Damn vita hit me hardest[/QUOTE]

... and I decided not to get it.

Got down to the store and as the guy got the ladder to get it for me I asked him how long the return period was and he told me that there is none since their computers treat it as a system so once you open it you can exchange it if it's broken but you can't return it.

I had heard of the glare but I wanted to check it in my moderately bright room for myself but if I can't return it then it's not worth it. Oh well, I didn't really need it but I had gone through and psyched myself up for it anyway LOL

[quote name='snowmint']With the 4 year warrenty can you replace the defective products as many times as you want when it breaks down during those 4 years or would have to renew the warerenty everytime you replaced it?[/QUOTE]

I believe its 1 replacement then you pay for another, supposedly BestBuy switched up how their warranties work.

[quote name='Mugatu']... and I decided not to get it.

Got down to the store and as the guy got the ladder to get it for me I asked him how long the return period was and he told me that there is none since their computers treat it as a system so once you open it you can exchange it if it's broken but you can't return it.

I had heard of the glare but I wanted to check it in my moderately bright room for myself but if I can't return it then it's not worth it. Oh well, I didn't really need it but I had gone through and psyched myself up for it anyway LOL[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd heard the same about the glare but I mostly game @ night, I'm used to playing on monitors anyways. I think the glare resembles that of a tube tv, if you grew up playing on those you'll survive. I have no intentions of returning it, the 30 day local return is just fine, Sony can take up the slack afterwards.

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']MotorStorm trades in for $19.60 after current 30% promo towards used games or select preorders[/QUOTE]

Shows $11.00 at BB, so with the 100% trade-in promo, wouldn't that be $22?

[quote name='jedolley']Shows $11.00 at BB, so with the 100% trade-in promo, wouldn't that be $22?[/QUOTE]

Yeah they were most likely talking about Gamestop.

Can I use this as a regular tv also ? Desperately needing another tv for when I go back to school in August since my girlfriend is using mine. Or would I be better off just buying a regular LCD tv?

[quote name='Jacoblee23']Can I use this as a regular tv also ? Desperately needing another tv for when I go back to school in August since my girlfriend is using mine. Or would I be better off just buying a regular LCD tv?[/QUOTE]

Not if you need a tuner. It doesn't have one. You would need a cable box since it's only a monitor.

[quote name='jedolley']Shows $11.00 at BB, so with the 100% trade-in promo, wouldn't that be $22?[/QUOTE]

Yes, BB would be $22 with the 100% TIV bonus, or $23.10 if you have the GCU membership.

[quote name='Cindaddy']Not if you need a tuner. It doesn't have one. You would need a cable box since it's only a monitor.[/QUOTE]

So there is no possible way to use this with basic cable?

damn it is is pretty tempting... question.. will this monitor made my game look better than my old viewsonic 23 inch monitor? I always keep noticing my game look a bit washout comparion to my friend using real tv.

[quote name='technicalstylez']u mean dvi. vga does video just fine.[/QUOTE]

He means audio. HDMI can carry audio to the monitor, VGA can't.

Tried to PM this at Amazon since i have credit to burn but the extended warranty at best buy might be a better deal.

OT: I noticed that both gamestop and best buy already has their listings up for Nintendo 3DS XL. Cmon Amazon...

I went in and took a more detailed look at it - one thing to bear in mind for those of you looking at it for 3D purposes, is that it only outputs 3D for true 3D sources (duh - of course you say)

I only mention it because as an existing Bravia user, most Sony TVs have a 'pseudo 3D' mode (that gives you a fairly good experience) from a 2D source - this monitor does NOT have the option, so you'll only get 3D from games with the 3D option (Uncharted3, MotorStorm etc) or 3D blu-rays / cable sources.

Just thought I'd mention it...

Couldn't take it and ordered one for instore pickup. Used $15 in RZ certs, the rest in trade in credit. Will check out the extended warranty in store and decide then. Going to flip back Motorstorm for $22. So net out of pocket credit, incl tax, is

Last edited by a moderator:
Been playing mine for the last few hours and well worth the money as for a price drop no need to worry since I have silver member status and can price match up to 60 days :)

Thank you for the help guys. My computer has only a VGA port, and I need HDMI for my display. Should I just buy a video card with an HDMI out? I mistakenly bought a DVI to HDMI cord already. Thanks CAGs!

[quote name='DoctorCharlesNichols']Thank you for the help guys. My computer has only a VGA port, and I need HDMI for my display. Should I just buy a video card with an HDMI out? I mistakenly bought a DVI to HDMI cord already. Thanks CAGs![/QUOTE]

Just get a dvi to VGA converter. Many graphics cards come with one in the box.

[quote name='bob330i']Couldn't take it and ordered one for instore pickup. Used $15 in RZ certs, the rest in trade in credit...

Oh yeah, forgot to include the $10 code for $50 purchase I should be getting for online/instore pickup.[/QUOTE]

I thought the $10 for $50 is for game software only (plus movies and music).

[quote name='gantt']I thought the $10 for $50 is for game software only (plus movies and music).[/QUOTE]

It is. The PS 3D Display doesn't qualify for the promo.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

What model of the Sony PS remote would be good for the 3d display?

Also, how do I get into 3d mode on a game like gran turismo 5? When I tried it, I did not see any 3d effects. '

[quote name='gamerguy73']Sorry if this has been asked before.

What model of the Sony PS remote would be good for the 3d display?

Also, how do I get into 3d mode on a game like gran turismo 5? When I tried it, I did not see any 3d effects. '[/QUOTE]

The Media/Blu-ray remote.

I don't believe the old Blu-ray Disc Remote Control has controls for a display.

Local Best Buy only had the demo model, so ordered it online. Should arrive next week.

Didn't opt for the extended warranty, but doesn't Best Buy allow 30 days to purchase the extended warranty?

[quote name='coopscohen']It is. The PS 3D Display doesn't qualify for the promo.[/QUOTE]

Ah yeah, thanks guys for the clarification.

Didn't opt for the extended warranty, but doesn't Best Buy allow 30 days to purchase the extended warranty?

Yep, that's what they told me when I picked it up.

bread's done
Back