PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

I hope we get some surprises and hopefully Sony shows off a new system update with some MAJOR features because they've really lagged behind Microsoft in that sense. Looking forward to seeing more Blood Borne gameplay and I'm curious to know when Journey is dropping on the PS4. There's another widely acclaimed game I missed out on so I'm interested to play it.

Anyone noticed that the update that came through this week had support for 3d blurays finally?
I find it funny they announced it after Microsoft, yet still had it released first. Makes me think they have a bunch of features ready and are just trying to decide how and when to release them. Would a feature such as MP3 playback or media streaming make you pick up a PS4 if you didn't own one yet?

Also it seems Microsoft is teasing big reveals for their GamesCom conference also. With Microsofts at 8am EST and Sony's at 2PM EST, it seems like it will be just like E3. I loved how Sony started their conference off last year with Shu onstage playing a PS4 in the recliner.

That new BioWare games looks really promising also. Both the teasers and the sites they have released seem like it will be something they haven't done before, in terms of genre.

I find it funny they announced it after Microsoft, yet still had it released first. Makes me think they have a bunch of features ready and are just trying to decide how and when to release them. Would a feature such as MP3 playback or media streaming make you pick up a PS4 if you didn't own one yet?

Also it seems Microsoft is teasing big reveals for their GamesCom conference also. With Microsofts at 8am EST and Sony's at 2PM EST, it seems like it will be just like E3. I loved how Sony started their conference off last year with Shu onstage playing a PS4 in the recliner.

That new BioWare games looks really promising also. Both the teasers and the sites they have released seem like it will be something they haven't done before, in terms of genre.
They kind of released it first. For some of us, they released it second.

By that, I mean those in the Dashboard Preview (which if you're not in it, you can easily be in it via an invite from a friend) got it early. My Xbox One updated before my PS4.

I'm curious who started working on it first though. Xbox has been doing month long betas for each dashboard update, but it's feasible that Sony has been doing the same (just internally). Hard to say.

Microsoft and Sony run off of two very different ways of getting business. Microsoft is an American company and are a lot more open with what they're doing. They constantly speak is to generate revenue, stock and interest in the company. Microsoft is a bit more open with some of the things they're working on it and you hear about it much sooner. Sony, on the other hand, is a Japanese company. Things are a lot more secretive for them. They speak about things with less time to market. For example, look at Nintendo. There can be months with no marketing or communication, although they have gotten better in the past year. Sony could have much of these things developed and they're just waiting for the right time to release them. Microsoft on the other hand, is constantly updating customers trying to generate interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
By that, I mean those in the Dashboard Preview (which if you're not in it, you can easily be in it via an invite from a friend) got it early. My Xbox One updated before my PS4.
How would I go about getting an invite into the Dashboard Preview Program? I only know one other person that has the Xbox One, and the only info about updates or game reveals normally come from me.

Also Syranth not only are they two types of business, one is outselling the other by a large number. By that all I mean is one is trying to catch the momentum while the other is trying to keep it. It's almost complete opposite of how last gen started for both companies. It's definitely interesting just to witness from outside the video game industry just how they handle theirselves.

How would I go about getting an invite into the Dashboard Preview Program? I only know one other person that has the Xbox One, and the only info about updates or game reveals normally come from me.

Also Syranth not only are they two types of business, one is outselling the other by a large number. By that all I mean is one is trying to catch the momentum while the other is trying to keep it. It's almost complete opposite of how last gen started for both companies. It's definitely interesting just to witness from outside the video game industry just how they handle theirselves.
PM sent :)

So I was playing around with the Xbox One SmartGlass app for the first time today and was rather impressed. My daughter and I were watching a movie on Netflix and playing on the iPad. I opened the app to switch on TV and was surprised by the OneGuide right on my iPad. The Xbox was still playing Netflix and on my iPad I could scroll through everything that was on and make a selection. After picking a show on DisneyXD, the Xbox turned that show on the TV. I prefer my PS4 over my Xbox and was wondering why Sony doesn't have anything similar and realized they have the Second Screen function. Do they have any games that support Second Screen? I understand they won't be dealing with the TV setup like the Xbox but I would imagine Sony who be working on some really neat features to implement into a tablet or phone.

Hopefully they just focus on adding some good major updates and features before they worry about crap like that. They've really blown it when it comes to updating the OS and adding more focused features.

Well since media molecule said they would reveal their exclusive at games on, I would expect gorilla and probably Sony bend. This will be a bigger show for exclusives for Sony

Microsoft and Sony run off of two very different ways of getting business. Microsoft is an American company and are a lot more open with what they're doing. They constantly speak is to generate revenue, stock and interest in the company. Microsoft is a bit more open with some of the things they're working on it and you hear about it much sooner. Sony, on the other hand, is a Japanese company. Things are a lot more secretive for them. They speak about things with less time to market. For example, look at Nintendo. There can be months with no marketing or communication, although they have gotten better in the past year. Sony could have much of these things developed and they're just waiting for the right time to release them. Microsoft on the other hand, is constantly updating customers trying to generate interest.
I couldn't disagree more. Games on the Xbox 360 were routinely announced a couple months before release. Meanwhile the PS3 had games announced at launch that didn't come out for years. Nintendo has done this a lot too. What you describe as secretive Japanese culture can't be further from the truth in reality.

I'm not sure if this is a bug from the update or something, but I've been having an issue with my system on and off. Lately whenever I turn it on sometimes there's no sound at all for it, and the only way to fix that is to restart the system.

I definitely think there is a bug. Every now and again when I put my system in stand by I come back a little later and it's completely off. That didn't start happening until after the update.

Has anyone used this for their PS4 HDD?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-backup-plus-slim-2tb-external-usb-3-0-2-0-portable-hard-drive-blue/5127032.p?id=1219111161790&skuId=5127032&st=External%20backup%20plus%20slim&cp=1&lp=3

I've read on a couple other sites, if you take the enclosure off, underneath is the Spinpoint M9T drive. For $99 that seems like a steal. My plan is to buy this and put the 2TB in my PS4. Then take the 500 GB OEM drive and put it in the enclosure and use it for my XboxOne.

Edit: I was just looking at all 3 on BB and the page refreshed and then all went from available to OOS.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-backup-plus-slim-2tb-external-usb-3-0-2-0-portable-hard-drive-blue/5127032.p?id=1219111161790&skuId=5127032&st=External%20backup%20plus%20slim&cp=1&lp=3

I've read on a couple other sites, if you take the enclosure off, underneath is the Spinpoint M9T drive. For $99 that seems like a steal. My plan is to buy this and put the 2TB in my PS4. Then take the 500 GB OEM drive and put it in the enclosure and use it for my XboxOne.

Edit: I was just looking at all 3 on BB and the page refreshed and then all went from available to OOS.
Can get better drives for cheaper.

From what I've read, the 1.7 firmware update has fixed issues people were having with these drives. Thanks for the heads up, I found the same drive at B&H and no tax for me in CA

I'm not sure if this is a bug from the update or something, but I've been having an issue with my system on and off. Lately whenever I turn it on sometimes there's no sound at all for it, and the only way to fix that is to restart the system.
I have that issue too. Do you run it through a surround sound? I have to change my Inuts and then change it back. That normally fixes the issue

I got one of them today at my best buy and it was really easy to do. Still doesnt feel like enough space after all the stuff that will be out between now and early 2015 lol

I got one of them today at my best buy and it was really easy to do. Still doesnt feel like enough space after all the stuff that will be out between now and early 2015 lol
Yea I believe that, my 500gb is around 40gb free right now. And I still have 2/3 games I haven't even installed yet. I except Sony to announce a PS4 with a larger HDD within the year. Did you put the 500GB drive back in the enclosure like I mentioned?

so upgrading your PS4 HD involves reinstalling all the games/patches, etc, correct?

is there a way to transfer the content from the old HD into the new one during the upgrade?

Nope other than game saves (which if you have + you can just redownload in a few minuted.)

I usually wait to do upgrades until I finish whatever game I am working on and make sure all the saves are in the cloud/ usb.

So my PS4 was upstairs and I only used it for games but I swapped it out for my PS3 so my PS3 is now upstairs while the PS4 is downstairs in th entertainment center... wish I had paid more attention... Is it me or have they not put out Youtube, TuneIn radio and other apps yet?

So my PS4 was upstairs and I only used it for games but I swapped it out for my PS3 so my PS3 is now upstairs while the PS4 is downstairs in th entertainment center... wish I had paid more attention... Is it me or have they not put out Youtube, TuneIn radio and other apps yet?
can't speak for the other apps but yes YouTube isn't available until this Fall. It's pretty lame it is taking this long to get something as popular as YouTube into the system.

Just to let you know I know it's not an app but you can use YouTube by going to your web browser on the ps4 and putting in YouTube.tv into the address bar and it works.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/06/california-man-sues-sony-over-killzone-shadow-fall

this guy :wall: plz can this end up on judge judy would love to see everyone lol at this guy
While it is technically illegal to sell something under false pretenses, this guy is an idiot. Why should he be entitled to $5 Million because Guerrilla used up-scaling tricks to... well, I'm not sure what that really even means - I'm no computer whiz. If he should win his case (which is stupidly unlikely), I'll be in line behind him to claim my $5,000,000 from Sony.

Saw this on NeoGAF

Apparently a new PS4 UI has "leaked", just a rumor but hey it looks interesting. Based on the leaks, ability to create folders are added and notifications are improved.

http://www.behindgames.com/images-next-ps4-system-update-leaked-showcasing-new-design-system-notification/#!
It might be fake.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124663169&postcount=352

01-GsOdp4A.jpg

Plus the rating pending box for killzone shadowfall.

I hope its real, looks awesome to me and I can definitely use some folders. My dash is a long train of games and apps at the moment.

I hope its real, looks awesome to me and I can definitely use some folders. My dash is a long train of games and apps at the moment.
Mines not really that bad, as I have basically been playing games and trading them back in asap and then deleting them. Cloud saves make it easy for that.

Folder would be cool, or even if they did it more vertical, like the video "folder"

More excited about the updates to notifications and trophies. Theres some other pics floating around for those. For both you get a small popup in the left corner, hit the ps button and it expands. Invite expands to show more info with accept and decline options, the trophy expands to tell you more info on the trophy that just popped. Both look really good.

bread's done
Back