PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Damn, that Call of Duty game looks cool. I heard it's been getting a bad reception. I guess while turning into something that looks good to me it turned away from being what it's fanbase likes. I didn't know it was Call of Duty until it's title came up.

But since it will probably be a one-and-done campaign playthrough for me I'm going to wait until it's dirt cheap.

And this was the first time Horizon got my interest. I think it comes out a week after Persona 5, so I won't need to get that one at launch either.

What really made God of War stand out this E3 was during a post conference interview where SSM outright said God of War isn't open world. With just about every other high-profile game announced being open world, I have respect for SSM for not shoehorning it in just because it's what every game has to be these days. Much respect Sony Santa Monica

What really made God of War stand out this E3 was during a post conference interview where SSM outright said God of War isn't open world. With just about every other high-profile game announced being open world, I have respect for SSM for not shoehorning it in just because it's what every game has to be these days. Much respect Sony Santa Monica
Judging by the demo, it looked maybe more akin to how Uncharted 4 works to me. It gives off the appearance of being open world, only to always ultimately funnel you in the same direction. It may not be quite as open with branching paths as Uncharted is, but it looks similar to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even after that reveal, I still don't care about GoW. I'm glad The Last Guardian is finally coming out but it honestly feels like hype dried up for the game after it was shown and not released last year. I'm sure it will be a good game but I'm strangely not as excited for it anymore. Meanwhile Horizon has me stoked but is 8 months away. Then there's Days gone that has me intrigued but unsure. Need to try the RE VII demo tonight before commenting, but it really had me scratching my head after that reveal. Finally, I'm not sure what to make of Kojima's new game. Ideally I still want Silent HIlls and that trailer really showed us nothing but the normal weirdness we've come to expect.

Anyway, information overload and great conference overall. Only EA and Ubisoft (unsurprisingly) were awful to watch and I flat out stopped watching Ubi at one point. I suppose Nintendo is next but lets be honest: they haven't been relevant in years.

I love E3 week. After I get off work I get to look up all the YouTube videos and get hyped for the games. For Sony, I’m curious about the Death Stranding game. Silent Hills looked like it was going to be great and it’s cool to see that Hideo is able to continue his working relationship with Norman Reedus into something else. So I’m assuming this game is related to the Kojima logo/mascot he’s been revealing over the last month? They’re not big enough to work on two games at the same time so I’m guessing this is his project for the next few years.

God of War looks different and I think they really needed to change it up. I’m a GoW fan and I agree with Mixer the franchise was hitting its wall a long time ago. They’ve technically had six games that played all the same. However, because it is so different from the previous GoW games, I’m not sure if it’ll be received well by longtime GoW fans. The gameplay, story/dialogue, setting, actors are all different. If they had swapped Kratos for another old guy, I’d have never guessed that was a GoW game. They even avoided labeling it GoW 4 so this is a totally different direction. I do agree the game might get too slow though and I hope you can fight hordes of enemies at once. I’m going to just stay cautiously optimistic. The environments looked incredible though.

This VR launch will be the next influential event on console gaming. It’s forced Sony to create Neo which has in turned forced MS to turn its focus onto Scorpio. Neo is going to open up some doors for another Sony audience but I’m still pessimistic about how it’ll be received by current Sony fans. Scorpio does have the benefit of a later release date and I just wonder if this may jumpstart more interest in Xbox again. I just hope this race to launch VR in time with Oculus and HTC doesn’t end up being a bad gamble for Sony.

VR is compatible with current PS4 hardware; it didn't force Sony to make Neo.
You're right but I just don't see Neo ever coming about if it wasn't for PSVR. Neo is being touted to enhance the gaming experience and tech such as VR. I've read places where people that have tried out the various VR tech options state that the PSVR would be too far behind if they were to just jump in with the current PS4 hardware specs. Sony hasn't publicly said that Neo is built for PSVR but the release of it is speculated to not be too far behind the VR launch.

You're right but I just don't see Neo ever coming about if it wasn't for PSVR. Neo is being touted to enhance the gaming experience and tech such as VR. I've read places where people that have tried out the various VR tech options state that the PSVR would be too far behind if they were to just jump in with the current PS4 hardware specs. Sony hasn't publicly said that Neo is built for PSVR but the release of it is speculated to not be too far behind the VR launch.
We won't be seeing PS4 Neo until Holiday 2017 at the earliest, roughly a year after VR comes out this October so I'm not sure what speculation places it "not too far behind VR launch". No, Sony (and M$) are simply investing in 4K gaming/streaming as well as meeting Nintendo head on with NX. They're launching new hardware as manufacture costs fall and offering improved performance as technology advances. Last generation was too long so now they're looking to roll out new hardware every 3-4 years instead of giant leaps.

Think about how long it takes for games to catch up when new hardware is released. PS3/4 launch anyone? Under this incremental plan, dry spells for gaming should be a thing of the past. Remasters can be achieved through texture mods rather than having to repurchase a game. The benefits go on and on. I do think it's funny how people are upset about moving goalposts when PC gamers have dealt with it for, oh say, FOREVER.

Consoles are PCs now. Adapt or die.

That's just simply not true. Sure, it's the weakest of the 3 options, but we also have to account for it being 25-50% cheaper than the competition. It's not supposed to be the the most premium experience, it's supposed to be the most accessible. It's not a horrible experience by any means and most who have tried it think it's more than a viable option.

Obviously whatever this next iteration is will be built with that in mind (making VR an even better experience), but I don't think it's the main reason they decided to do it. If that was the case it would be launched day & date with the headset.

Need to try the RE VII demo tonight before commenting, but it really had me scratching my head after that reveal.
I enjoyed it a lot since the first-person change threw me back to Resident Evil: Survivor. Also, there will be guns in the full game since the HUD options give it away.

Judging by the demo, it looked maybe more akin to how Uncharted 4 works to me. It gives off the appearance of being open world, only to always ultimately funnel you in the same direction. It may not be quite as open with branching paths as Uncharted is, but it looks similar to me.
I think what bothered me about GoW was that it seemed... slower, and it seemed like it'll be more like Uncharted than DMC or Bayo.

I think the refresh is good but it's not gonna be easy to capture people's interest like the original did. Repetiive or not, I played and enjoy 6 GoW games based on one basic formula.

I think what bothered me about GoW was that it seemed... slower, and it seemed like it'll be more like Uncharted than DMC or Bayo.

I think the refresh is good but it's not gonna be easy to capture people's interest like the original did. Repetiive or not, I played and enjoy 6 GoW games based on one basic formula.
I think they probably should t have gone with the GoW name, or at the very least not had it be Kratos. Then people wouldn't care as much.

I agree I'm not high on it (I'm more looking forward to the other games shown), but they had to do SOMETHING different. We'll see how it shakes out.

That Resident Evil VII demo was pretty weak, I wasn't even scared at all and I get scared pretty easily playing these kind of game. Feels like it's trying to be P.T.

That Resident Evil VII demo was pretty weak, I wasn't even scared at all and I get scared pretty easily playing these kind of game. Feels like it's trying to be P.T.
I haven't played it yet so I can't speak to its quality, but RE was never really "scary". The early games had their moments, but they weren't trying to make you pee yourself like a lot of these current horror games are.

I haven't played it yet so I can't speak to its quality, but RE was never really "scary". The early games had their moments, but they weren't trying to make you pee yourself like a lot of these current horror games are.
I know that but REVII is clearly trying to be like P.T./ Silent Hills now and not the typical RE games. Silent Hills and P.T. were scary as hell and those are the game I meant when I said "these kind of games".

I know that but REVII is clearly trying to be like P.T./ Silent Hills now and not the typical RE games. Silent Hills and P.T. were scary as hell and those are the game I meant when I said "these kind of games".
Is it though? Again, I haven't played it yet (downloading now), but the vibe I got from the conference is they wanted to surprise everyone and show they want to go a bit back to their roots with the creepy atmosphere instead of the all out dudebro shooter that parts of 5 & 6 were. After all, nothing about what they showed last night was scary.

I don't think it's completely representative of the final game much like P.T. most likely wouldn't have been for Silent Hills. They're copying the way the reveal went down and the formula, but I'm not yet convinced they want to be that type of game.

I could be completely wrong though.

I'm hoping it will be 3rd person and the 1st person perspdective is just the presentation for the new environment but even than it was not spooking at all. Didn't even feel like a RE game at all.

I thought I heard REVII is a first-person game but who knows, may have gotten it mixed up with all the other news these past couple of days.

Wow Sony's conference was a disappointment.  MS beat them this year for sure.  I was expecting a Neo announcement.  When that didn't happen, I assumed it was because they were humiliated by MS's more powerful console announcement.  Then I read here that Sony already said, just a few days prior, that they would not announce the Neo.  I imagine most people are like me and do not follow every Tweet or blog post made by Sony.

I'm very interested in Horizon Zero Dawn.  I may even pick it up at launch and if so, that would be only one of a handful I've bought at launch in years.  It looks fantastic and based on the scope I see in the videos appears to be extremely long making it more worth full price than a 6hr game.  There were way too much horror and zombie games this year.

About VR, Sony showed way too much VR for such a niche product.  It's reminiscent of the Vita launch except worse because peripherals universally fail while the Vita had a chance of making it.  I was under the impression the Neo was needed to run VR (again until I saw posts here) so it's a surprise the current console can do it.  Based on reviews of other VR headsets, my guess is that VR will run like shit on the regular PS4.  Anyone spending $400 on a headset and a dozen tech demos and mini-games is making an early adopter mistake IMO.  I admit some of those space shooters looked cool and I'd love to try them but I promise you that they're going to be 30 minute long "games".

It just hit me while I was at work today. Why were Final Fantasy 7 and Shenmue 3 absent from E3? Weren't they some of Sony's biggest showstoppers last year? Are we to believe neither of them have made any progress in the past 365 days? Also, this whole "First on Xbox" or "Play first on Playstation" bullshit needs to stop. Sony was able to pay off Capcom enough to keep SF5 exclusive to PS4 and Microsoft has, what I can imagine, is a Disney-esque depth of wealth at their disposal. If they want a game to be exclusive, just pay to make it exclusive. God damn is that shit starting to annoy me.

It just hit me while I was at work today. Why were Final Fantasy 7 and Shenmue 3 absent from E3? Weren't they some of Sony's biggest showstoppers last year? Are we to believe neither of them have made any progress in the past 365 days? Also, this whole "First on Xbox" or "Play first on Playstation" bullshit needs to stop. Sony was able to pay off Capcom enough to keep SF5 exclusive to PS4 and Microsoft has, what I can imagine, is a Disney-esque depth of wealth at their disposal. If they want a game to be exclusive, just pay to make it exclusive. God damn is that shit starting to annoy me.
Last year's Sony conference was a disappointment as well. A lot of people claimed it was great because it was basically fan fiction BUT those games they announced had nothing but videos. Those games won't be out for 6 years. They weren't there because there was nothing to show.

Last year's Sony conference was a disappointment as well. A lot of people claimed it was great because it was basically fan fiction BUT those games they announced had nothing but videos. Those games won't be out for 6 years. They weren't there because there was nothing to show.
Well I agree with this post but not your first one. Lol

Add Ni No Kuni 2 to that list of missing games. At least for me. Only reason I didnt sell my PS4 yet is to play that.

I would rather "First on..." titles than exclusives. Its just better for everyone (well not Nintendo fans) to have a game come out on both platforms, whether it is the same time or not.

Know what I find truly terrifying? Knowing a boss fight is coming up and having 9 rounds of 9mm and a few other weapons to kill it with. Survival horror needs to come back with that old school mentality that games aren't meant to be fair and toss you into the pit with barely the means to get by. Jump scares and gimmicks are shit. Managing weapons and healing items to be prepared for the worst when it happens is what will really scare you. That *click, click, click* when you're down to a knife only and a hulking monster is still coming at you is your ticket to an adrenaline rush.

I know why they made RE VII first person and it blows. Changing the core design of a game to appeal to a gimmick is awful. Capcom touted this as a return to roots? Why not fess up that you're VR sellouts instead. RE is still dead to me.

Add Ni No Kuni 2 to that list of missing games. At least for me. Only reason I didnt sell my PS4 yet is to play that.

I would rather "First on..." titles than exclusives. Its just better for everyone (well not Nintendo fans) to have a game come out on both platforms, whether it is the same time or not.
They just announced NNK2 half a year ago and no date was specified, so it's likely that they just don't have anything new to show. Probably PSX or E3 next year before they start pushing it again. Unless it was already further along than we thought, (most of the time) not a whole lot changes in 6 months of a development cycle.

As for your other comment, if that's the only game you still want a PS4 for, you probably shouldn't have bought one.

Know what I find truly terrifying? Knowing a boss fight is coming up and having 9 rounds of 9mm and a few other weapons to kill it with. Survival horror needs to come back with that old school mentality that games aren't meant to be fair and toss you into the pit with barely the means to get by. Jump scares and gimmicks are shit. Managing weapons and healing items to be prepared for the worst when it happens is what will really scare you. That *click, click, click* when you're down to a knife only and a hulking monster is still coming at you is your ticket to an adrenaline rush.

I know why they made RE VII first person and it blows. Changing the core design of a game to appeal to a gimmick is awful. Capcom touted this as a return to roots? Why not fess up that you're VR sellouts instead. RE is still dead to me.
Spot-on assessment there. I wasn't aware the internet was as up in arms about this as they are, but it completely makes sense. I get they want to try new things but, IMO, this is up there with the worst things Capcom has ever done. Sure, RE had been getting progressively worse, but if this turns out like I think it might I really don't know why they're even bothering. They didn't need to flip the series on it's head like they're seemingly doing.

If it's really supposed to release in January they have to be pretty far along so it may be too late, but it will be interesting to see if they start back pedaling. They should just released this as "Resident Evil", touting it as a mostly VR experience, and continue with a more conventional RE game for 7.

I'm trying not to rush to judgement but I think I hate the new directions for both God of War and Resident Evil.  God of War looks like TLoU to me (doesn't every game nowadays....?) and RE is Silent Hill.  I read a preview of GoW on IGN where they said the developers told them that your son is an integral part of the game and with you THE WHOLE TIME.  Now I'm just trying to think of other franchises I love that can be shit upon, maybe in the next Twisted Metal Sweet Tooth will be on an epic journey to track down the greatest love of his life that he never had the courage to tell her about his feelings.  

Poor Twisted Metal. I bought and played the last one but it just didn't feel as good as 2 or Black. I loved both of those and I'm not sure why the last one felt lacking. It was so forgettable I really don't have many memories of it and I think it boils down to the levels being totally bland. RIP TM. . .

I sympathize for all the GoW people. I stopped caring about midway through 3, so the its no big deal to me. That being said, I can see why people would be so upset.

We won't be seeing PS4 Neo until Holiday 2017 at the earliest, roughly a year after VR comes out this October so I'm not sure what speculation places it "not too far behind VR launch". No, Sony (and M$) are simply investing in 4K gaming/streaming as well as meeting Nintendo head on with NX. They're launching new hardware as manufacture costs fall and offering improved performance as technology advances. Last generation was too long so now they're looking to roll out new hardware every 3-4 years instead of giant leaps.

Think about how long it takes for games to catch up when new hardware is released. PS3/4 launch anyone? Under this incremental plan, dry spells for gaming should be a thing of the past. Remasters can be achieved through texture mods rather than having to repurchase a game. The benefits go on and on. I do think it's funny how people are upset about moving goalposts when PC gamers have dealt with it for, oh say, FOREVER.

Consoles are PCs now. Adapt or die.
That's just simply not true. Sure, it's the weakest of the 3 options, but we also have to account for it being 25-50% cheaper than the competition. It's not supposed to be the the most premium experience, it's supposed to be the most accessible. It's not a horrible experience by any means and most who have tried it think it's more than a viable option.

Obviously whatever this next iteration is will be built with that in mind (making VR an even better experience), but I don't think it's the main reason they decided to do it. If that was the case it would be launched day & date with the headset.
Well the release date for the Neo hasn’t been announced yet but when the Neo was first leaked the speculation was that it was going to release possibly late this year and that Scorpio was a reaction by MS that was going to be one year late (Holiday 2017 confirmed). The fact that Andrew House only just recently acknowledged its existence while careful not to declare an official release date looks like Sony is still weighing it’s production timeline vs. cost/benefit analysis. I agree with you that the 4K capability is an obvious incentive to push the next hardware iteration out soon but I’m still not sure if Neo didn’t have as much weight if not more on the decision either. You guys also have to consider the fact that Sony has invested a lot of money into the PSVR tech that (financially) had to have influenced Neo’s creation. Unlike the Oculus/MS partnership, this is Sony running their own show with the VR tech.

I just don’t see the gamer audience being 4K compliant anytime soon. As for the PC comparison, I am personally not upset because it makes no difference to me when I don’t have any current plans to invest in a 4K TV anyway. Sony’s next decision is going to be huge so hopefully they make the right call here. But again, I am pessimistic about how the current user base is going to perceive the upgraded Neo/Scorpio boxes. The message and delivery itself will be vital. Look no further than the Sony and MS E3 2013 announcements. The sentiment fanned by the media coverage can have a long lasting impact in the mind of the average gamer. To MS’ credit, they just jumped the line by creating buzz that Scorpio is going to be a stronger console.

Well the release date for the Neo hasn’t been announced yet but when the Neo was first leaked the speculation was that it was going to release possibly late this year and that Scorpio was a reaction by MS that was going to be one year late (Holiday 2017 confirmed). The fact that Andrew House only just recently acknowledged its existence while careful not to declare an official release date looks like Sony is still weighing it’s production timeline vs. cost/benefit analysis. I agree with you that the 4K capability is an obvious incentive to push the next hardware iteration out soon but I’m still not sure if Neo didn’t have as much weight if not more on the decision either. You guys also have to consider the fact that Sony has invested a lot of money into the PSVR tech that (financially) had to have influenced Neo’s creation. Unlike the Oculus/MS partnership, this is Sony running their own show with the VR tech.
I just don’t see the gamer audience being 4K compliant anytime soon. As for the PC comparison, I am personally not upset because it makes no difference to me when I don’t have any current plans to invest in a 4K TV anyway. Sony’s next decision is going to be huge so hopefully they make the right call here. But again, I am pessimistic about how the current user base is going to perceive the upgraded Neo/Scorpio boxes. The message and delivery itself will be vital. Look no further than the Sony and MS E3 2013 announcements. The sentiment fanned by the media coverage can have a long lasting impact in the mind of the average gamer. To MS’ credit, they just jumped the line by creating buzz that Scorpio is going to a stronger console.
First of all, Scorpio isn't a reaction to NEO as MS talked about the "upgraded" consoles a good while before the Sony rumors were running rampant. However, I do think NEO being ignored at E3 was partly due to Scorpio's rumored specs, though I also believe part of it is due to the negative reaction. They need to make sure they get the messaging just right, and they also have to make it just attractive enough to make people want to upgrade, without making others feel like their existing console is majorly inferior.

I think they also held off because they wanted MS to go first.

Again, with the VR thing, yes - it's obviously something they're looking at when building this thing, but I still don't think it's the main reason it exists. If that was the case, they likely wouldn't have gone through the trouble of developing the extra unit it's bundled with.

First of all, Scorpio isn't a reaction to NEO as MS talked about the "upgraded" consoles a good while before the Sony rumors were running rampant. However, I do think NEO being ignored at E3 was partly due to Scorpio's rumored specs, though I also believe part of it is due to the negative reaction. They need to make sure they get the messaging just right, and they also have to make it just attractive enough to make people want to upgrade, without making others feel like their existing console is majorly inferior.
phil spencer is already giving mixed signals when it comes to scorpio saying if you dont own a 4k tv you shouldnt buy a scorpio but still says there will be parity between scorpio/xbone/xboneslim consoles. scorpio will also have "launch" titles even though its not a new console generation...uuhhh

just read through this interview: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview

theres video cards with 8 teraflops that cant do 4k/60fps. theres no way scorpio is going to do it.

I’ll be the first to admit I’m not in the know when it comes to PC spec and hardware. When the topic gets technical, I'm always fascinated and in awe. But I’m just going to sensibly opine on what I read from others that understand it better so if the Scorpio can’t push 60fps on a 4K display (which is being marketed as a 4K capable product), I truly feel the whole Neo/Scorpio announcements are way too premature then. I know 4K is still a visual boost but it just feels like they should just wait until the proper video cards can do 4K/60fps. And to get it out of the way, I get that the consoles are built around PC architecture so the PC and gaming console lines are getting more blurred. I’m just not really all in. I’m sure others will feel the same way.

I think they also held off because they wanted MS to go first.

Again, with the VR thing, yes - it's obviously something they're looking at when building this thing, but I still don't think it's the main reason it exists. If that was the case, they likely wouldn't have gone through the trouble of developing the extra unit it's bundled with.
A ton of nonsense here: yes Microsoft talked about consoles that could be upgraded.. via components, not iteration upgrades.. Neo leaked out about 2 weeks later, so it's not like Sony saw Phil's conference and put together the Neo in 2 weeks.. second of all there is an article out there with Microsoft quoted as saying the Scorpio was in planning stages but they pushed the Scorpio release date up due to Sony's Neo leak. Lastly, Sony confirmed the Neo the Friday before E3 and stated it wouldn't be at E3 to temper expectations of Sony fans anticipating the Neo reveal, it was not done because of anything Microsoft has done.. Microsoft are the ones being reactionary, not Sony, the market leader doesn't need to react to the distant second place competition. Sony stated today that they plan on doing the Apple strategy of announcing the product and having it available shortly after, no need to crater sales for months announcing too early.. Neo is probably getting announced at Gamescom and available 2-4 weeks later if it is releasing this year.

Again, I don't know the state of Sony's financial situation or how much it has improved since the PS4 launch, but could Sony build a identical console spec wise and not have it hurt them?

Scorpio/Neo could very well both turn into flops.

A ton of nonsense here: yes Microsoft talked about consoles that could be upgraded.. via components, not iteration upgrades.. Neo leaked out about 2 weeks later, so it's not like Sony saw Phil's conference and put together the Neo in 2 weeks.. second of all there is an article out there with Microsoft quoted as saying the Scorpio was in planning stages but they pushed the Scorpio release date up due to Sony's Neo leak. Lastly, Sony confirmed the Neo the Friday before E3 and stated it wouldn't be at E3 to temper expectations of Sony fans anticipating the Neo reveal, it was not done because of anything Microsoft has done.. Microsoft are the ones being reactionary, not Sony, the market leader doesn't need to react to the distant second place competition. Sony stated today that they plan on doing the Apple strategy of announcing the product and having it available shortly after, no need to crater sales for months announcing too early.. Neo is probably getting announced at Gamescom and available 2-4 weeks later if it is releasing this year.
Haha, nonsense? Interesting statement given both of us know the exact same thing: nothing. First of all, I never suggested Neo was a reaction... Of course Sony had it in development before those comments from Spencer were made. But thanks for trying to put words into my mouth.

Secondly, MS can say that if they want, and maybe it's true - but it doesn't change the fact that they were both working on something at the same time. However, I have a hard time believing they "pushed up the release date" if that release date is still 1.5 years away. Pushing up a release would have it out this year or Q1 next year. If you really want to believe Neo wasn't pushed because of anything MS has said or "leaked" that's fine. You may be right, but it seems like too much of a coincidence. (Though I do believe it had more to do with the negative reaction they've gotten from it.)

Again, I'm not suggesting Sony is being reactionary, but that they're being calculated. Just like how they were with the PS4 launch that even got them in this position. Just because they're the market leader doesn't mean they don't have to be careful... Their messaging has been paramount thus far, if that suddenly changes things can turn around just as quick. PR is everything, the X1 announcement proves that. They never truly recovered.

As for the release, I still don't think it's this year. E3 was the time to do it. It was always risky to try and launch two products at once, maybe they've realized that as well. Besides, they weren't even at Gamescom last year. I would be interested to know if they ever announced any kind of hardware at a Gamescom... Does anyone know?

It all comes down to the price in the end though. Can these systems be priced at a point to get people to buy them because some of these specs that are being thrown around are really pricey.

It all comes down to the price in the end though. Can these systems be priced at a point to get people to buy them because some of these specs that are being thrown around are really pricey.
Agreed. That's the one thing I just can't see yet. Especially Scorpio. At that point you may as well not even call it a console.

Exactly. At the moment, no single graphics card can run 4K games at 60 fps. I'm assuming MS will use AMD again, and even their top of the line graphics card can't run games at 4K60 and I think that card alone costs $400 at the moment. Even in a year and with a new chipset, I can't imagine this console being cheap, seeing as how it'll need a better CPU and will have more/faster RAM.

Additionally, as Phil Spencer said this won't benefit anyone without a 4K TV... I'm sure people with HDTVs will benefit, by finally getting to play games at 1080p60 (guessing he meant that, even if he didn't explicitly say it) but will those people wanna much for a 4K console, just to do 1080p gaming?

Again, I don't know the state of Sony's financial situation or how much it has improved since the PS4 launch, but could Sony build a identical console spec wise and not have it hurt them?

Scorpio/Neo could very well both turn into flops.
I don't believe the Neo will match the 6 tflop spec, I think it will be close to the 4.5 tflop spec that was leaked since it has been rumored that dev kits are already in developer hands and production has already begun on the machine. Thing is it doesn't need to be better spec'd as power isn't the only reason the PS4 is killing the Xbox. If the Neo launches in Sep/Oct this year it will have an entire year on the market all to itself, that is a far bigger advantage than 1.5 tflop.

Additionally, as Phil Spencer said this won't benefit anyone without a 4K TV... I'm sure people with HDTVs will benefit, by finally getting to play games at 1080p60 (guessing he meant that, even if he didn't explicitly say it) but will those people wanna much for a 4K console, just to do 1080p gaming?
see thats the thing. i think a lot of people were under the impression that even if you didnt have a 4k tv, at least games that werent running 1080p/60fps would be that and judging by what i understood from that long interview, that isnt the case. if you dont have a 4k tv, spencer flat out says buy the slim instead. well the slim isnt going to make a game that ran at 1080/30 or 900/60 turn into 1080/60.

that scorpio video was hilarious marketing wise. it makes it seem like devs are HAPPY that now when they dev a game for scorpio (and essentially neo) that will have to make sure it runs on basically 5 things instead of 2 (xbone, xbs, scorpio, ps4, neo). more work with no real incentive to make more profit.

I don't believe the Neo will match the 6 tflop spec, I think it will be close to the 4.5 tflop spec that was leaked since it has been rumored that dev kits are already in developer hands and production has already begun on the machine. Thing is it doesn't need to be better spec'd as power isn't the only reason the PS4 is killing the Xbox. If the Neo launches in Sep/Oct this year it will have an entire year on the market all to itself, that is a far bigger advantage than 1.5 tflop.
That’s the big decision that has to be made. Do you move forward with something at 4.5 tflop a year ahead of your competition vs. optimizing your system and price at the cost of the exclusive market/timeshare. We know that the 360 benefitted when the PS3 took too long to release but that was also due to the fact that the previous generation already sat out on the market for so long that it matured and was ready for change. We’re just 3 years into this current gen and I’m skeptical that people are ready for a new hardware release. Phil Spencer went on record to say he wasn’t a fan of a XB 1.5 but would you consider the Scorpio as XB 2.0 when they’ve already stated games will be compatible on both systems? Maybe it’s just semantics but it feels like an XB 1.5 to me. I feel that since developers haven’t maximized the current gen system yet, as a consumer I’d rather them wait at least another couple of years until 4K/60fps is more realistic.

As an management analyst at my job when it comes to providing management with key data for decision making, I would say the analysts at Sony have a huge task at hand that’s going to directly influence the success of Sony’s gaming division.

bread's done
Back