Playstation vr Not live yet

I don't even have the extra Move stuff, so I would need to buy it anyway, but this non-core +$100 bundle pricing just totally lowered my interest in this.   I  understand that its probably more cost effective to buy the bundle than to buy the pieces separately, but I was hoping to find the move stuff for cheap / borrow them to justify the VR purchase.  I know it's silly, but initially looking at this as a $400 investment didn't seem that bad, especially since I'm interested in VR and there's no way my computer can handle it without significant upgrades, but $500 seems too much.  I might get it later if there's really good reviews, but I'm definitely holding off now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have 4 total. Two still in the package and two of the navigation controllers. I believe the move controllers were $10 and the navs were $7

Amazon has updated their listing to a bundle - $499.99 - It goes on sale Tuesday at 10:00 AM EST/7:00 AM PST

Includes: VR headset, Processor unit, VR headset connection cable, HDMI cable, USB cable, Stereo headphones, AC power cord, AC adaptor, PlayStation VR Demo Disc, PlayStation Camera, 2 PlayStation Move motion controllers, and PlayStation VR Worlds Game Disc

PlayStation VR - Available for Pre-order on Tuesday March 22 at 7:00 AM PST
The PlayStation VR launch bundle will be available for pre-order starting Tuesday March 22, at 7:00 AM PST. Due to limited quantities, purchases will be limited to 1 per customer, and 1-Click Ordering will be disabled for this item. Please make sure you've updated your credit card and shipping information to help you move quickly through the checkout process.

Amazon has updated their listing to a bundle - no word on price. It goes on sale Tuesday at 10:00am EST/7:00 AM PST

Includes: VR headset, Processor unit, VR headset connection cable, HDMI cable, USB cable, Stereo headphones, AC power cord, AC adaptor, PlayStation VR Demo Disc, PlayStation Camera, 2 PlayStation Move motion controllers, and PlayStation VR Worlds Game Disc

PlayStation VR - Available for Pre-order on Tuesday March 22 at 7:00 AM PST
The PlayStation VR launch bundle will be available for pre-order starting Tuesday March 22, at 7:00 AM PST. Due to limited quantities, purchases will be limited to 1 per customer, and 1-Click Ordering will be disabled for this item. Please make sure you've updated your credit card and shipping information to help you move quickly through the checkout process.
The price is $499.99

I missed the blog post on this today which has additional details. First wave (bundle) goes on sale Tuesday. Another bundle wave will be available this summer. Non-bundle will only be available on launch day (edit: or maybe they just will announce a core preorder later, it's kind of ambiguous):

"At $499.99, this bundle provides an unbeatable value for those of you looking to get right into VR gaming with your PlayStation 4. Since we’re including one of our top PS VR launch games, PlayStation VR Worlds, we know you’ll have a great experience right out of the box. This bundle will also be available in Canada for $699.99 CAD.

If you miss out on this wave of pre-orders, fear not – we’ll have another wave in the summer.

The core PS VR bundle, which has a suggested retail price of $399.99 USD / $549.99 CAD, is not available for pre-order."

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/03/18/playstation-vr-launch-bundle-pre-orders-start-tuesday/

If you think about it this bundle doesn't make a lot of sense. Sony is counting on early adopters to buy this thing, and it's bundled with stuff early adopters would probably already own. I guess I'm just going to move this thing to my Christmas list if they're not going to let me preorder the unit by itself.

I'm all over it via Amazon.  

Is it the same bundle up for pre-order in all US retail channels?  I guess we don't know at this point...

I only have the camera. Debating if I should sell the camera now and preorder the bundle or wait for standalone PSVR and buy the move controller separately. Right now they're selling between $25-30.

Wow, that's really, really sad that the headset-only version will not be available for pre-order.  Like someone already said in here, this is just another example of a company punishing repeat/loyal/hardcore customers in an effort to attract new ones.  I don't get this logic at all.  Disappointing.

This is really making me feel weird. I'm a big Playstation fanboy and I've bought almost all their consoles at launch, waited in line, flaunted my preorder that everyone else missed out on, etc.

I have absolutely no interest in VR. Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man but I don't want this at all. Maybe if it was like $200 and tax free  :drool:

from wario64, what gamestop is doing

Cd2Z76qW0AAfOox.jpg

Is the trade bonus only when you actually pick it up?

I guess what I'm really asking is if I preorder it, can I keep trading in games until the release date and apply that to my preorder for 20% more?

Or would I need to save all my games and trade it when it launches?

I have camera and move controllers but I don't get the deal with move controllers. I thought whole idea was the PS4 controller has a built in lights so why would I want to use move controller when the DS4 is so much better and comfy with more buttons? The idea of using move controllers kind of turns me off the VR have to use the PS4 camera is bad enough. Just my thoughts on it I don't know much details yet about how it's suppose to work just seems like too many things to use for my liking. I like keeping things simple.

...I don't get the deal with move controllers...
Pretty sure the idea here is that some Sony exec says, we've got this move technology we never made any money on. How can we finally break even on it? Also, i'm sure the idea is that you'll need move controllers to have every possible VR experience, so they figure they can claim it that way and make a buck. I haven't tried VR, but if they're going to incorporate a bunch of motion controls into the experience, that seems like it would be a turn off for me unless there's some serious improvement in how motion controls work somehow.

actually they are just trying to sell old move controllers before they release another extra add on, the touch gloves for VR.

So Tuesday will be the first time you can pre-order?... damn

You know everyones gonna crash the site and noone will get a order in so we'll have people lining up here to whine lol

FIBEN HUNDREBIRD NIBEDYNIVE JOO-ES DORBALORBLORBAGESESSUSES?!?!?!?!1! 

Oh, wait. Ahem: 

FOURTZEN HINDREBYNE NEINZEBYNIVE JOOB-SESS DABLARBLABASSAGESSESSUSSESS?!?!?!?!1!

Just a heads up, but a number of reports just came out that Sony is secretly working on a Playstation 4.5 console with an improved GPU and 4k resolution (possibly for movies/images only, with games still likely maxing out at 1080p) that is also geared at a better VR experience (and it sounds like it might be required for some VR features/enhancements).  In case that effects anyone's decision to preorder for their current PS4 console...

http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

honestly if one was buying this just for a virtual theater..i'd rather but a projector and a screen... i have one and use it for movies the screen is 100" and I have it in my living room of my apartment...so doesn't really take up space. I mean imagine having a VR headset on your head for 2-3 hours watching a movie it'd be very uncomfortable. Also, I highly doubt this will be very useful for at least 1-2 years until games actually start coming out for it...you guys remember the ps4 camera everyone was excited about it when it first came out was even selling on ebay for like 150 dollars a people were buying it but then afterwards it turned out to be a piece of crap ... you got to use it for a virtual game room and a virtual pet or something. Games actually started figuring out way to avoid using it like just dance started using cell phones to track movements instead of the cam stuff..anyways it's up to everyone but I'd suggest waiting until this thing drops in price and if you're only buying it for a "virtual theater" experience I wouldn't ...especially if you may wanna watch movies with other people at the same time...2+ heads don't fit inside one headset ;)
One word: lamps.

You have to replace projector lamps every so often - about 2000 hours for the one I had, which meant about once a year I had to spend $300-$400 for the new lamp. To save money I eventually sold it for a 3D TV instead... a shame the 3D fad only lasted a couple years, I rather liked it... but hey now its back with VR!

I only have the camera. Debating if I should sell the camera now and preorder the bundle or wait for standalone PSVR and buy the move controller separately. Right now they're selling between $25-30.
I got the move controllers used from gamestop for $13 each. Save $10-15 if you don't mind used

Ugh. I'll preorder one on Tuesday with the anticipation of canceling it whenever they announce how you get one without all the shit I already own.

Is it too much to ask just to use a regular controller and not need the light up dildos and camera? Let's leave those for cam whores.

I was being a little facetious (especially with my timeframe). Although I do think it will be a highly niche item for quite a long time (if not forever). The problem with Sony and other similar companies jumping into this is that they have seemingly no way to make this product have any broad appeal, therefore, it will be a fad for them just like motion controls were a fad last generation and so on. I'm sure VR will be great long term but once the newness wears off on the early adopters, I don't see too many mainstream people buying into the product. It's still clunky and expensive and also still a peripheral and incredibly hard to market. The early adopters and techies will continue to enjoy it and push it forward in a niche way. In 10 to 15 years when you can put on a $50 pair of cordless sunglasses and get a great VR experience, you might see VR be viable in a mainstream way. Until then, companies like Sony are going to give up on it because they don't want to try to make money off of niche products.
Being a long-time gamer spanning over 3 decades, I have eagerly waited for the day VR can finally be available for the home. Well, it's here. I have no delusions that these first-wave VR bundles are going to be mainstream but we've come a long way from those simplistic polygonal worlds of early VR applications. Though not pretty, they were promising but what I'm expecting today is leaps and bounds beyond that. I don't believe VR will be as niche as something like Google Glass, because VR is capable of having multiple uses in not only gaming but possibly be huge for education. If gaming can be enhanced to truly give you that feeling of "being there" that is a huge step above just gaming sitting there in front of a tv. If I can play my favorite kind of games-sports, racing and role-playing, in a realistic VR world, it'll truly be exciting. All it takes is one or two killer games to really kick it off. I don't care if it's a paintball FPS but if it's capable of giving you that real feel of being in a real paintball game, then it accomplished its mission.

I hope Amazon doesn't try to pull some weird shit & charge for pre-orders or "part" of the pre-order like gamestop is..

I'll preorder the bundle Tuesday, just to secure one. Then sometime before or at launch, just get the base headset.

Really though it's funny, a lot of people were bitching about Sony not included the camera and controllers needed. Now they announce a preorder bundle with it all and everyone is bitching again. Just classic....

Really though it's funny, a lot of people were bitching about Sony not included the camera and controllers needed. Now they announce a preorder bundle with it all and everyone is bitching again. Just classic....
Because some people have none of the needed items, while others (Like myself) already have the Camera and/or Move Controllers.

Not planning to be forced into pre-ordering or buying them again when Sony didn't even fucking support them the first time, then decide to fuck over those who did.

was a dumb ass and thought move controllers were stupid clutterness. donated 4 move controllers, 4 move nav pad and the sharpshooter along with several move games to goodwill.  will probably have rebuy them again.  atlease i did get some tax write off @ pennies on the dollars.  

Just an fyi, just called my local gamestop and was told that they would start taking pre-orders on monday. This is in Illinois.

I dont get the headphones part. You can just use your astro a40s or whatever with the vr headset right?

Guess i never thought about it. Can you fit regular high quality headphones and vr on your head?

I'm already hooked on VR. I have 2 versions of the Gear VR. A note 4, Note 5, S6, as my mobile arsenal to power the Gear VR. The Gear VR works great as long as more and more games, experiences come out for it. I do think those mobile games are a little over priced. Actually a lot overpriced but that's another conversation. 

It all boils down to the quality and resolution of the PSVR. It has to look practically next gen quality for me to be super excited. I hope it looks really, really good.

I'm eagerly awaiting my Phantom 3 drone being delivered this coming week. You're able to connect your Gear VR headset to your drone and get a first person experience where it feels like you're flying in the cockpit. It's going to be UNREAL!!!! Can't wait.

Just an fyi, just called my local gamestop and was told that they would start taking pre-orders on monday. This is in Illinois.
It's possible that the employee was off on his dates. The computer shows 3/22 (Tuesday) and it is register locked in that it isn't even in their system yet.

Also, there will be a 30% trade in bonus towards the Playstation VR. My manager friend said he wasn't sure if it was games only or if it also includes systems and accessories. Most likely it will include everything except systems.

Is it too much to ask just to use a regular controller and not need the light up dildos and camera? Let's leave those for cam whores.
Yes. It is. What does this look like?

BN-HH104_HTC_VR_G_20150306145256.jpg

And this

occulus-rift-release-date-and-touch-announced.jpg

Without cameras and sensors, how do you expect the device to know where you are or what your hands are doing? I agree, the Move controllers and Playstation camera were a complete waste up to this point. But surprisingly, they're right in line with what the competition is using for VR.

That said, I can't imagine the Move controllers will be required for all games. They shouldn't be needed for a driving game or anything where reaching and grabbing with your hands isn't critical. But you can't really blame Sony for making use of R&D they've already done.

I'm eagerly awaiting my Phantom 3 drone being delivered this coming week. You're able to connect your Gear VR headset to your drone and get a first person experience where it feels like you're flying in the cockpit. It's going to be UNREAL!!!! Can't wait.
peeping toms of the future unite!

bread's done
Back