Pokemon Go

Thanks to the Magikarp parking lot I found in suburban Atlanta right near the hotel I stay at for work, I have 3 Gyarados with the ability to make another, and had enough candy to max out my perfect IV one that whose Magikarp was only CP 100 (where max is about 170 so it had a lot to go).

Back home there was a group that used to keep up a spawn nest map (mostly showing parks).  Thanks to that we found an Omanyte nest and after having never even seen one before we were able to have Omastars the same day.  We also found a Kabuto nest (same thing - had never even  seen one before that day).

Unfortunately the group seems to have stopped updating it and the nests are changing more frequently too.  What was a Machop nest site where we only found a few (they didn't spawn too frequently) was now a damn Oddish nest - wasted 30 minutes driving up there yesterday.  However in a stroke of luck, a fairly close place that is still a very popular Pokémon Go site switched from Mankey to Seel so we were able to get our Dewgongs after only ever seeing one Seel before.

My daughter, the only one of us who hatched a Lapras yet, just got another one yesterday.

So I'm still missing:

Machamp (walking one now and currently at 81 candy)

Alakazam (Abras don't seem to be in nests but they do spawn near our house - just very infrequently)

Hitmonchan

Lapras

Aerodactyl

Porygon

So for the most part I'm dependent on getting 10km eggs and from having better luck from 5km eggs.  I've hatched so many of those damn things and no Porygon yet.  My son just got one yesterday.  I wasn't even aware they came from 5km eggs till then.  We've never seen any of these in the wild, so it appears there's no hope of ever catching them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm level 28 and I have a ways to go until a full NA Pokedex:

Venasaur (71 to go)

Charizard (57 to go)

Blastoise (76 to go, my current buddy)

Golduck (4 to go)

Poliwrath (70 to go)

Machamp (43 to go)

Victreebel (19 to go)

Slowbro (18 to go)

Dewgong (33 to go)

Grimer

Muk (probably going to be one of my last ones I'll get)

Shellder

Cloyster (another one I'll be waiting awhile unless I get lucky with eggs)

Jynx (I know people hate getting these from 10K eggs, I'd just like to cross it off my list)

Gyarados (304 left go, but I'll probably buddy this one after Blastoise)

Lapras

Porygon

Dratini

Dragonair

Dragonite (I'm positive this will be my last one I'll need)

It's kind of depressing seeing all those that I need, I'll probably have to cave and seek out some nests, because so far I've only played in a couple of set areas.

Billy - you need to visit that parking lot in suburban Atlanta that I farm when I'm there for work.  Not only is it full of Magikarp, it has endless Psyducks and Slowbros, and is even a Dratini nest (though they spawn very infrequently).  I even caught a Dragonair there once.  We caught a Dragonite too once but not there - this was at a park back at home.  If you lure up stops where Clefairies spawn (higher elevation places usually) they have a chance of spawning.  We were talking to people there and they've seen several spawn that way.  It is odd because you don't see Dratinis there.  It is the elevation/Clefairy connection.  This park is up on a bluff.

Othewise, nests are definitely the way to go.  I had hatched a Jynx way back when, but to get it for my kids we had to find a nest.  It was nice when the nest map was kept up to date, but I guess the people who did that stopped playing because it is mostly empty now.  At least I know which parks are nests now - just not what they are.  It is frustrating when you drive 30 minutes to what used to be a Machop nest and it is now Oddish.  Those shouldn't even be in nests - they are common as snot here otherwise.

If it wasn't for the nest map (as it was until a few weeks ago when it stopped being updated), we'd be lacking Jynx, Magmar, Electabuzz, Kabuto/Kabutops, Seel/Dewgong, and Omanyte/Omastar, several Charmanders, and most of the Machops we have.

Unfortunately it seems that Lapras, Porygon, and Aerodactyl don't have nests so we have to count on eggs or 1 in a million chance random spawns to find those.  As for evolved forms, we have actually caught Cloyster, Muk, Poliwrath, Victrebell (that was one of the first evolutions I ever caught), Venasaur (many times), and that one Dragonite - all from random spawns/lures.  And I've seen Charizards and Blastoise nearby a few times.  The Muk was just up the street from our house - saw it on the nearby while I was at home and we rushed out to get it.  My son was pissed because his ran away ;).

I'm pretty surprised the event is still going on - I thought it would end early on Halloween since they seem to have started it early based off GMT or something (and they said it would end on Nov. 1st).  But here it is Nov. 2nd and I'm still seeing just 0.75 km to walk my Machop.  I'll take it.  I've gotten my Machop candy from about 60 to 96 and I only switched over to him a couple days ago.

Edit: apparently it is over.  I'm only getting 1 candy for transferring and the spawns are definitely back to normal (hello Pidgey, Rattatta, Weedle, Caterpie, Paras, Oddish, Ekans Crabby, Spearow, Bellsprout - I've missed you, not...)

But my buddy distance still save 0.75km.  My son says his changed back to 3km.  Hopefully mine stays for a few more candy.

In other news, daily bonuses are coming soon.  First Pokémon catch and first Pokestop spin give extra exp and stardust.  Then if you do that for 7 days in a row, you get a weekly bonus on top of it.  Pretty simple and something I do every day anyway, but it is nice to get an extra reward.  Supposedly actual Daily Quests will be coming soon afterwards (so maybe catch a certain type of Pokémon or battle a gym or something).

I appreciated the extra time today to get some more low km buddy candies, but for the most part I'm happy to be back to normal spawns again.

The event ended on a high note for me yesterday, caught a random Grimer in an area that for the past four months never even saw one on the radar.  So one more down, 19 more to go.

I am looking forward to the daily quests / bonuses, they should be giving out Pokecoins if they want to entice both the hardcore and the casual.  I know that goes against the FTP game model, but they already have gym rewards in place, what harm would an extra 10 coins a day cause?

As it stands now with gyms, its even harder or newcomers to collect bonuses, as most all I'm seeing are lvl 8 to 10 gyms, and anything low CP is getting knocked out quickly anyways.

And for those above lvl 30, the xp bonus will mean nothing, and while the stardust is always nice, the eggs  / gym rewards give out a heathy supply of that anyways for them.

And for those above lvl 30, the xp bonus will mean nothing, and while the stardust is always nice, the eggs / gym rewards give out a heathy supply of that anyways for them.
While I'd love coins or lures/lucky eggs/incubators as the extra rewards, I'm definitely happy with the stardust. I had been hoarding it like crazy but then I got that perfect IV Magikarp at just 100 CP. I had to use a ton to max my Gyarados from that. Then I finally pulled the trigger on my Dragonite evolution and spent a ton more levelling him up. I have more to go but he's been happily ensconced in a gym in Atlanta for more than a week now. And during most of the event I walked my highest IV Snorlax (only 69% unfortunately) and powered him up so that he is my highest CP now (2462). Now I feel like I can finally be on the level of all these people with maxed out Dragonites.

And my son is desperate for stardust since his younger sister got a hold of his phone and powered up a bunch of worthless crap and used all of his stardust. He was super pissed, but was excited when I told him of the daily/weekly bonus.

Hell, at one point I would have considered paying for stardust. I'm surprised they don't offer it in the store.

Speaking of their sales, apparently Niantic's revenue doubled during the Halloween event. So hopefully that bodes well for more frequent future special events.

I just got back from a gym run in my town. While I still have 3 in Atlanta from a week or more back, the ones here still change frequently. Hell, our main rival took our neighborhood gym at 11:30 the other night. I went out and took it back. He then cam back and took it again at about 3:30 AM! There is only one permanent level 10 gym in our town (of about 10-12 gyms) and that rival is in there with his Instinct buddies. We intend to take it down one of these days but it is at a fire station so it is hard to park there. We'll have to stand across the street and none of us ever have enough potions to feel like we can deal with it just yet. But he's been in there too long and it is time to go - especially since he never leaves our powered up gyms alone. Screw him ;).

Yeah you can burn through the dust really quickly, but for me I'm only focusing on powering up about 6 or so mons for defending, the attackers I just rely on finding good CP wild mons and evolving the common ones.  Once you get good at dodging you really don't need to level up your attackers much (if at all).  Another benefit for me is that I'm evolving tons of Arcanines, so many of them I don't have to bother powering up to have semi-decent gym positions.

And once you reach trainer level 28 (max power up pokemon level 30.5), you reach a point of diminishing returns of powering up, as indicated by the linked graph.

For the other odd ball / rare ones I want to max out for fun, I'm more limited on finding their candy than by the stardust.

And once you reach trainer level 28 (max power up pokemon level 30.5), you reach a point of diminishing returns of powering up, as indicated by the linked graph.
Well that was good timing for me because I'm just about at level 28. So once I hit that I'll max out the 6 or so I already have maxed to my current level and then maybe work on that Dragonite once I get it back. Otherwise I'll probably back off.

I had just wanted some high CP stuff because even at level 27 with some 2100-2200 CP mons I was only able to claim the bottom couple of spots in a few level 10 gyms. I wanted some stuff to be a bit higher up and not get knocked out so easily.

Good news!  Apparently Eevees have been pushed down to 5km eggs!  Yay!  Now if only they'd do the same for Pinsir, Scyther, Onix, and Jynx!

Good news! Apparently Eevees have been pushed down to 5km eggs! Yay! Now if only they'd do the same for Pinsir, Scyther, Onix, and Jynx!
Nice about Eevee, I wouldn't mind getting at least Scyther bumped down to 5K status, I want to stock pile candies up for Gen 2.

Speaking of Eevees, now that the Halloween spawns are gone, I forgot how many of those we get around here.  I have 877 Eevee candy already, but am always on the lookout for a good IV Eevee.  I got a pretty nice one last night - I can't wait for it to be my next Jolteon, as all my highest IV Eevees have turned into.

Looks like the spawn rates of Pidgey, Rattata and Zubat are going to be reduced, and also they are removing Pidgey and Rattata in the 2K eggs.

More happy about the 2K egg removal, more chances for starter pokemon.  The spawn rates changes are nice too, but I hope this just doesn't mean I'll see more Ekans, Paras, and Weedle now...

One bad thing about removing Pidgey from the 2K egg, is it will be very hard to get a high IV one in the wild (unless you use incense and lures, most all wild Pidgey are crap).  Not that most people care, but I want to get a nice IV Pidgeot with Wing Attack / Hurricane and max it out for fun.

Spawns have definitely changed and improved in my hometown.
Just on the way for coffee, I caught two Rhyhorn, Squirtle, Growlithe, Pikachu, and a Dratini(!). Never seen a Dratini before in my town...though I found a Dragonair one time.

So, I hope the rares have changed here. Sad to say, but I'm ready to find someone *other* than Snorlax!

The decreasing of Pidgey and Rattata will be welcome. I feel like it's already happened because I've definitely seen more Bellsprout, Krabby, and Poliwag the last couple days than I usually see in a 2 week span. Plus apparently my work is now an Eevee nest, as I caught 4 of them on Friday alone and only checked the game a few times. 

I have been struggling with 5km eggs lately. Almost all of my recent hatches are either Ekans or Psyduck. Not necessarily bad but I really want another Machop since I've only seen ONE (via hatch!) the entire time I've played. I've had 4 Tangela hatch out of 5km eggs, but none in about a month.

My son and I just got back from a Machop nest.  We caught about 7 in an hour spent there.  I think I might have enough for a Machamp now, will have to sort it all out.

The official note change from the latest server side update:

Pokémon GO is in the process of being updated to version 0.45.0 for Android and 1.15.0 for iOS devices. Below are some release notes and comments from our development team.

• You’ll earn bonuses for the first Pokémon catch and PokéStop visit each day. You’ll receive a larger bonus when you do this seven days in a row.
  • When you defeat the Gym Leader at a rival Gym, there will be a brief period of time where only you will be able to place a Pokémon in the open Gym.
  • The amount of Prestige a rival Gym loses when you defeat a regular Gym member has increased. The amount of Prestige gained by training at a friendly Gym has been lowered.
  • Minor text fixes

What is not explicitly explained in the update:

- Spawns have changed, some are added, some are removed.  This kind of makes me mad since I finally learned all the spawns in my neighborhood, now I have to relearn them all, but oh well.

- Though this was already in effect a couple of days ago, the tracking has changed to Nearby (ones near Pokestop can be psuedo tracked now) and Sightings.  While I have been able to find some harder to catch 'mons with the update (found a (very) rare Seel close half a mile away thanks to the Nearby feature), only showing three in the Sightings tab makes it harder to catch ones that are much closer 'in the wild'.

EDIT: Apparently this is part of a limited rollout / test of the feature, I just happen to be in the test group (Seattle / San Francisco / Parts of Arizona).

- I don't know the exact changes to the gym battle rewards, but I do know it is 1000 prestige points removed per each pokemon when attacking (up from 500), should make it easier (faster) to take on stagnant Lvl 10 gyms now.

- The biggest thing now that they did not state (though it may ruin the game for some public transportation commuters), is that Pokestops cannot be visited when going over the rough 30mph speed.  This also means even if you are stopped at a red light, it will still take 5-10 seconds for the Pokestop to become active for items (same how the spawns / tracking work).

- The second most important thing is that they have added the Gen II names into the code, though that does not give any solid indication on when it will even be available.  We still don't have all of Gen I released yet, so have your salt ready.

There's a lot of rage in the reddit forum about the gym battling changes. So they made it much easier to take down those big gyms (the extra prestige removed as Billy mentioned above).   By itself, that would be fine.  But they also made it 4x harder to level up gyms.  So the fear is that no one will bother to power up gyms any more since it is so much harder to do so and they can get taken down so fast.  That would put us back to the meta from a few months back where you had to rush out and catch as many gyms as you could as quickly as possible and redeem your coins before you lost the first ones you took.  That isn't so bad for us since there are 10-15 gyms within a few miles in our town.  Others with fewer options might get frustrated though.

Right now though I'm back in Atlanta and I checked out the gyms that I had for over a week (and was finally kicked out of).  They still belong to my team, so I think I just got knocked out of the bottom of them.  One was sitting at 49,000 so I leveled that up and put one of my best in there - and still was in the 6th or 7th spot.  No way I'm getting anywhere near that 3000 Dragonite on top.

We'll see if all these level 10 gyms fall.  But there's definitely one at home that me and my kids are going to take down when I get back.  The same people have been in for 2+ weeks now.  And yet the "leader" of that gym keeps beating me and my kids out of the level 3-5 gyms near our house (that we consider our territory).  So, yeah, it's getting personal ;).

Both my son and I noticed that stops in general seem to be giving out more items (not just the first one of the day).  That's good and the theory on reddit is that it is to make up for the speed lock (which I also noticed yesterday - annoying that all it says is "Try again later").

I've also noticed huge groupings of Pokémon spawns.   I saw it in the ATL airport and near my hotel tonight.  I think this might be a result of the increased timers.  In other words, there aren't really more spawns, they are just overlapping more than they used to.  Supposedly a lot of them last 30 minutes now instead of 15.

Niantic put an update out yesterday that said increased spawns from 11/7-11/11.

I'm in an area where I really don't care how the gyms function.  My wife and I go out, take each of the 8 gyms in our town, and one of us drops in low level crap.  Once one of us has all 8, they claim.  Then, we drive the opposite direction, and the other person takes the gyms and drops in their own low crap.  Then claims.  (She's Valor and I'm Instinct.)

I could totally understand the frustration though.

There's a lot of rage in the reddit forum about the gym battling changes. So they made it much easier to take down those big gyms (the extra prestige removed as Billy mentioned above). By itself, that would be fine. But they also made it 4x harder to level up gyms. So the fear is that no one will bother to power up gyms any more since it is so much harder to do so and they can get taken down so fast. That would put us back to the meta from a few months back where you had to rush out and catch as many gyms as you could as quickly as possible and redeem your coins before you lost the first ones you took. That isn't so bad for us since there are 10-15 gyms within a few miles in our town. Others with fewer options might get frustrated though.
I think the only advantage to this right now before things go back to the old meta, is that not everyone is fully aware of the changes, so I still see plenty of lvl 10 gyms around (especially in the less traffic gym areas). I certainly don't want to go back to the battle > rush > repeat > claim cycle of the past, but at least I have a good chance at soloing a higher level gym in less than 20 minutes.

Both my son and I noticed that stops in general seem to be giving out more items (not just the first one of the day). That's good and the theory on reddit is that it is to make up for the speed lock (which I also noticed yesterday - annoying that all it says is "Try again later").
Yeah I'm sure this is a direct response to the speed lock, I actually don't mind this change now (assuming it changes to the current 6 item reward minimum it is now). I personally like it better this way, gives each stop more meaning and payout.

I've also noticed huge groupings of Pokémon spawns. I saw it in the ATL airport and near my hotel tonight. I think this might be a result of the increased timers. In other words, there aren't really more spawns, they are just overlapping more than they used to. Supposedly a lot of them last 30 minutes now instead of 15.
While I know for certain they removed some spawn points, the timer increase to 30 minutes explains why I see more at the current hotspots (mainly around Pokestops). Honestly they should of always been 30 minute timers, gives more of a fighting chance of legitimate tracking.

We had some interesting catches yesterday.  First, while we were making a gym run we saw a Snorlax nearby.  The streak of my daughter (who is the lowest level and not even there with us - we just had my wife's phone to play for her) getting the highest while my son getting the lowest one continued.  He is getting more and more pissed about it.  I think hers was 1700+, mine was 1400 and his was 700.  A few weeks back when we found our first (and only) wild Dragonite hers was a "???" which I hadn't seen since the first week of the game. It ended up being over 2000.  Mine was 1500 or something.  And my son's was 42.  Yeah, that's right: 42.

Anyway, later where we were home a Blastoise actually spawned at our house.  That was a shock.  Interestingly enough, that one was the same for all 3 of us.  It was not great: 1490 with 53-56% IVs.  But at least we all got the same one - till my son's ran away ;).

I hit Level 30 last night.  I'm definitely done trying to move the level any further.  Since 25 or so, I've really been hoarding the Weedle/Pidgey with Lucky Eggs.  Seeing 500,000 XP needed....I just don't want to anymore. 

I got my Gyarados (no Twister!) and Machamp.  I need:

Charizard (60 Charmander candy) - Buddy

Golem (33 Geodude candy)

Hitmonlee

Hitmonchan

Kabutops (35 Kabuto candy)

Dragonite (40 candy)

(And the region exclusives...)

I need to travel.  I've gotta find a place nearby where Geodude is prevalent.  That should be my easiest evolve.

Yeah I made a lot of progress from 28 to 29 because of the Halloween event.  And I just now saved up a bunch of coins to buy the 8-pack of lucky eggs.  I used one yesterday and evolved a bunch of stuff and it seemed like I barely made any progress.  I want to hit 30 because you get max revives then, right?  But beyond that, yeah, I'd stop worrying about it too much.  I think they designed the levelling petty good though.  In most games it is usually too easy to hit the level cap.   Definitely not the case here.  I can't imagine what the people who hit level 40 legit had to do. 

I finally got my Dragonite back from a gym in Atlanta and powered it up to the max at my current level (28).  He's just below 3000.  So while I know I should stop there because any additional gains are minimal, I kind of need to do 1 or 2 more to push him over 3000.

I evolved my 3rd or 4th Gyarados and finally got screwed with a Twister one.  Oh well.  They really do suck - when fighting them in gyms they are so much easier to beat.

I also finally evolved a Machop, and I have plenty of candy to do an Abra but I just have terrible ones so I'm holding off till I get one with better IVs even though I know they suck and I'll never be using them in gyms anyway.

So at this point I'm solely dependent on eggs.  Since the game is back to not giving me any 10km eggs I may never get some of these.  We've never once seen any of these in the wild, even on the nearby:

Porygon

Hitmonchan

Lapras

Aerodactyl

So what kind of sucks about that is that I'm done with being able to get anything via travel or nest hunting.  It is all RNG luck on eggs now.   We had a lot of fun exploring different parks in the Portland area looking for nest spawns.  My kids and I would usually pick a new place each weekend and go check it out.  I'll miss that.  We really need the gen 2 Pokémon to come out sooner rather than later.

I hit Level 30 last night. I'm definitely done trying to move the level any further. Since 25 or so, I've really been hoarding the Weedle/Pidgey with Lucky Eggs. Seeing 500,000 XP needed....I just don't want to anymore.

I got my Gyarados (no Twister!) and Machamp. I need:

I need to travel. I've gotta find a place nearby where Geodude is prevalent. That should be my easiest evolve.
Yeah, level 30 is the target goal for me, I won't be buying any more lucky eggs at that point (and you get three lucky eggs at lvl 30 as a reward, along with other things).

Geodudes are very common here in AZ, I've seen 301 and caught 263 according to the Pokedex, and I even caught a couple of wild Golems too.

Yeah I made a lot of progress from 28 to 29 because of the Halloween event. And I just now saved up a bunch of coins to buy the 8-pack of lucky eggs. I used one yesterday and evolved a bunch of stuff and it seemed like I barely made any progress. I want to hit 30 because you get max revives then, right? But beyond that, yeah, I'd stop worrying about it too much. I think they designed the levelling petty good though. In most games it is usually too easy to hit the level cap. Definitely not the case here. I can't imagine what the people who hit level 40 legit had to do.

So what kind of sucks about that is that I'm done with being able to get anything via travel or nest hunting. It is all RNG luck on eggs now. We had a lot of fun exploring different parks in the Portland area looking for nest spawns. My kids and I would usually pick a new place each weekend and go check it out. I'll miss that. We really need the gen 2 Pokémon to come out sooner rather than later.
Aside from the max revives and three lucky eggs, you also get three incubators, that'll be a nice time to hatch eggs for me. Then I can focus all of my coins on incubators from that point on.

I also did start doing a bit of nest hunting, nothing much off the normal beaten path, but I'll be able to accelerate a few of hanging ones left. Down to 17 more to go off my list...

Also, I would never recommend spoofing at all, but Japan is having a Lapras event now, if you are ever so inclined to "take the trip".

Hah yeah I saw mention of the Lapras event on Reddit.  Apparently they removed Lapras spawns from everywhere else to accommodate the event too.  Not that I've ever seen any - but apparently I now have a 0% chance of catching one instead of 0.0001% or whatever it was before.

The little local park in my hometown seems to have become a nest.  We've caught 2 Seels there in the last few days and we've never seen those anywhere except at a nest site that was Seel for about 4 days before it changed to Growlithe.  Luckily we were able to get enough from that one nest to get our Dewgongs.  But it would be nice to have a nest closer to home, even though it only seems to have one spawn site, and thus they are pretty infrequent.  At the Machop nest we went to on Friday we were able to make a loop on a paved path around a lake and get 3-4 each time.

Still, any kind of nest locally is better - all the known nest sites are in parks 10+ miles way from where we live.

In case you guys haven't seen it, this is the best place to find nests:

https://thesilphroad.com/atlas#9/40.2879/-76.6544

Nests change at random times.  A few months back they stayed the same for several weeks, but now they have been changing in as little as 4-5 days.

Yeah, no Shellder and Dratini nests in the greater Phoenix area, as I thought, so those are going to have to be hatched sooner or later.
Dratini nests, oddly enough, do not change. They have been in fixed spots for months. The same for Magikarp/Psyduck/Slowpoke which tend to be around water features. The rest rotate. Dratini nests are sporadic though - maybe only a few spawns per day. Shellder, on the other hand, ought to rotate in to your area at some point. They are pretty rare here, too, but we've had a few nests from time to time. Same with Seel.

There's been a nest migration and apparently they added new nests.  There is a small park 4 blocks from my house that was never a nest for anything before.  We drove by this afternoon and there were FOUR Jynx's sitting there.  Holy crap!

So I'd check out any small park around you to see if there is stuff spawning there.

At this point I just need

Snorlax

Lickitung

Scyther
Snorlax and Lickitung I understand. But I curse Scythers every time they hatch from 10km eggs. I finally got another 10 egg for the first time in about a month and it is about to hatch. I look forward to my 20th Pinsir/Scyther :bomb:. Both of those are fairly common as wild Pokémon here. I don't even bother with Pinsirs any more and only catch Scyther because of their eventual Gen 2 evolution. I've found many more Scythers than others like Seel, Shellder, Kabuto, etc. (all of which I had to find nests to get more than like 1 of).

So this park with the Jynx nest is kind of odd. We went there last night and there was nothing. But there were 3-4 two times yesterday. And it doesn't seem like any other parks have stuff - at least at night. Maybe it is a new day/night thing?

Doesnt make sense to me either.  I got multiple Aerodactyl, Hitmochan/lee, and way too many Pinsir

Doesnt make sense to me either. I got multiple Aerodactyl, Hitmochan/lee, and way too many Pinsir
And guess what? Yep, my 10km egg turned into a MFing Scyther. And then I saw a wild one on the way home...

Big CP changes happened today. Several Pokémon got big buffs. Some nerfs, too.
Yep, Alakazam now has the highest base attack stat. I have yet to evolve one. I have enough candy, but I've been waiting for a better Abra.

In other news, the Thanksgiving event is double XP and stardust from Nov. 23 to Nov. 30. It starts according to UTC time, so that means 7pm Eastern, 4pm Pacific tomorrow (the 22nd!).

Unfortunately I already did two rounds of mass evolving to try to get myself to level 30 (I'm around 100,000/350,000 right now). But I bought an 8-pack of lucky eggs so I still have plenty more and have enough stuff to do one round immediately and can probably do a few more by the end of the event. I ought to hit level 30 I think with no problem.

My son is really excited about the double stardust since his little sister got a hold of his phone and wasted 60,000 of it powering up Pidgeys and other useless things.

It was good timing to have the little park near my house turn into a Jynx nest as they have gotten somewhat decent with the CP changes. Chansey got a 157% boost. The one I hatched a few weeks back went to 900 so I felt like I had to power it up - I now have it over 1000.

And my Dragonite that I powered up fully when I was level 28 to get the max out out it I had to power up one more time since the change made him 2980. I had to get him over 3000! ;).

My 100% IV Gyarados is a beast now. He went from like 2200 to 2765 and is second only to my Dragonite. He leapfrogged a bunch of Exeggutors, Vaporeons, and even a Snorlax.

I am loving the new CP changes, sans my poor Wigglytuff that I was maxing out for fun (and low tier gym defender), now he's back to friendly gym prestige levels.

For a long time now I had a high IV (I think 94 or 97%, something like that) Alakazam with Psycho Cut / Psychic that I kept maxing out for the hell of it (was decent at taking out poison / fighting types for prestige though).  He went from just over 1500 CP up to 2427 CP, finally getting the stats he deserves.

Also I have a few Rhydon that are above 2500 CP now, and a maxed out Rock Throw / Stone Edge Golem (mainly used him for Dragonites and Lapras with good dodging before) thats above 2400 CP now.  He'll be fun to use against the legendary birds when they arrive.

Yep, some people in my town found Ditto. Saw one in a gym this evening.  The person who put it there had a lure up at the park right next to the gym.  I think we just missed it by mere minutes because there was an empty spot in that gym when we first drove downtown to do our stop loop.

I went out this evening after hearing about this with my kids and we tried to catch everything we could see, but no luck so far.  Between the 3 of us we probably caught 100-200 trash Pokémon.  At least they had this coincide with the double stardust/exp event so it is worth catching all that crap regardless.  I used a luck egg and evolved a bunch of those same crap Pokes and am now just 100,000 from level 30.

On the "give with one hand and take away with the other" front, Niantic rolled out the new tracker to our area.  It SUCKS!  We have two Pokestops that are in that small park that is a Jynx nest.  Now all we get on the nearby radar is what is up at that park, which is 5-6 blocks away.  They took away the nearby things that are around the corner.  About a block and a half away we have a semi-reliable rare spawn point and many times we have been home and seen things like Snorlax and Muk show up and knew exactly where to go to get them.  Now they will never show up on the nearby - just the crap that spawns by these two stops in the relatively far away park.  We'll be able to keep track of the nest now which is good, but pretty useless for those rare spawns closer to home.  Right now the only thing on the tracker is a Jynx up at the park.

My wife has caught two Ditto so far. I was out for about an hour and caught a good one.

No new tracker here for me yet. Maybe I don't want it...!

You do not want the new tracker.

I finally caught a Ditto at around 6am right before I went to bed.  I caught it (from a Pidgey) on my daughter's game first because I was running out of Pokeballs catching all the trash.  Then I got it on mine, and of course when I went to get it on my son's it ran after one ultra ball + berry.  I'm sure he's pissed but we'll find another one.

On the "give with one hand and take away with the other" front, Niantic rolled out the new tracker to our area. It SUCKS! We have two Pokestops that are in that small park that is a Jynx nest. Now all we get on the nearby radar is what is up at that park, which is 5-6 blocks away. They took away the nearby things that are around the corner. About a block and a half away we have a semi-reliable rare spawn point and many times we have been home and seen things like Snorlax and Muk show up and knew exactly where to go to get them. Now they will never show up on the nearby - just the crap that spawns by these two stops in the relatively far away park. We'll be able to keep track of the nest now which is good, but pretty useless for those rare spawns closer to home. Right now the only thing on the tracker is a Jynx up at the park.
I was in the beta test area so speak for the updated tracker, showed up to six on the Nearby Pokestop listings, and three that were sightings in the wild (AKA actually nearby). It wasn't too bad that way, gave you some incentive to check out the stops nearby, but still gave at least some information if you wanted to wild hunt.

Now with the further roll out they only show all nine slots to Nearby Pokestop for me as well, which I agree I don't like as much as the combination listing from earlier. They could afford to have two pages, one for Nearby and one for wild Sightings, but that would be too much to ask for apparently.

I was in the beta test area so speak for the updated tracker, showed up to six on the Nearby Pokestop listings, and three that were sightings in the wild (AKA actually nearby). It wasn't too bad that way, gave you some incentive to check out the stops nearby, but still gave at least some information if you wanted to wild hunt.

Now with the further roll out they only show all nine slots to Nearby Pokestop for me as well, which I agree I don't like as much as the combination listing from earlier. They could afford to have two pages, one for Nearby and one for wild Sightings, but that would be too much to ask for apparently.
See I thought that was the way it was going to be. I wouldn't have been thrilled with only 3 actual nearbys but it would be a hell of a lot better than what we ended up getting.

I caught a second Ditto - just caught a random Pidgey in a parking lot while we were getting gyms and it turned into a Ditto. My son was with me so he got one as well finally. But with all this trash catching we're all running out of Pokeballs. It wasn't that long ago that we were throwing away Great balls to make room for potions. Now we're low on everything.

All 3 of us put Dittos in one gym - got no respect as someone beat it down almost immediately ;).

Speaking of gyms, we got screwed on the gym bonus Stardust yesterday. I redeemed 9 gyms after the double exp/stardust event started and only got 4500 stardust. Today I redeemed 7 and got 7000.

My son and I went to the 3-stop park (all 3 can be claimed from one spot) where we caught a Dragonite off a lure a few months back (people told us several had shown up before).  We used 3 lures, popped some lucky eggs, and went to work.  I powered myself up to level 30, which was nice.  And while we didn't get a Dragonite to spawn (or any Dittos) we did get a Snorlax.  I guess the new nearby thing works with lures because within a minute or two 5 or 6 cars pulled up to the park to catch him!  We had been there for 20 minutes with maybe only one other person leeching off our lures.  But I think a few of them might have missed it since they only stay for 5 minutes with the lure.

Since I got some lures with my rank-up we did another set and the best thing we got from that was a Clefable.  Meh.  Then on the way home I had to stop at Fred Meyer (Target-like grocery chain out here) to get some stuff for tomorrow and caught a random Pidgey in the parking lot that turned into another Ditto.  That was the same place we caught one earlier in the day.  I don't want to say they are in nests, but that just seemed a little odd.  If I get another one there, though...

All 3 of my Dittos have come from Pidgeys.  I know they can come from other stuff, but they definitely seem to favor Pidgeys.  It's not like we were just catching Pidgeys either - we probably caught just as many Ratattas, Venonats, Oddishes, Nidorans, and several others.

Edit: And no sooner than I write this than I catch a Ratatta that turns into a Ditto.  Still, though, I think most come from Pidgey/Ratatta.

Just right now had a Snorlax spawn on top of our house.  That's the kind of thing we'll no longer see right around the corner or even two houses over with this crappy new Sightings system, but fortunately it spawned within range.

But alas, it was only 524 CP (and crappy IVs) for all 3 of us, even though we are all at different levels.

I caught a CP 44 Snorlax. :lol:
I have found 14 of them in my town, and hatched one. The majority of them have bad IV's though.

I finally got another 10km egg for the first time in about a month.  Turned into a low-level crappy IV Magmar (not even a wonder).  Blech.  No Lapras for me ever, I guess.  Also, I keep hatching 5km eggs like crazy (at least 5 in the last 2 days) and still no Porygon.  I keep getting Cubones and the like.

Saw a Farfetch'd in a gym for the first time so I added that to the Dex.

Caught my first Dittos.  Know something was upwhen I couldn't caught a Pidgey after about 8 regular pokeball.

I hatched my second Lapras over the weekend! 

I need Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan...and one more Kabuto wouldn't hurt.

I don't need anymore 5km eggs...but that's all the game seems to want to give me.  No 2km/10km eggs right now.

Still no Ditto for me, but I know I'll get him eventually.  Very close to lvl 30 as of writing this (approximately 9K left to go), and thus I won't feel the urge to hoard Pidgey and Ratatta anymore.  I do have two 10K eggs right now (a first for me to ever have two at a time), and both from different stops I don't normally visit, here's hoping I get anything other than a Pinsir or Magmar.

I do have two 10K eggs right now (a first for me to ever have two at a time), and both from different stops I don't normally visit, here's hoping I get anything other than a Pinsir or Magmar.
And they were Hitmonlee and Kabuto, both ones I haven't hatched before, but have caught plenty of wild ones anyways. At least its different, and Hitmonlee may be worth powering up now since the update.

bread's done
Back