Portal 2 (360 & PS3) - $39.99 new, $34.99 used (4/30 thru 5/6) at GameStop

choffy21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Portal 2 is $40 new on the Xbox 360 and PS3, $35 used this week at Gamestop.

Just a heads up, if you get the right employee, have them try to look up "*backupcode" in the system, and they can print you off an extra Roll Cage skin pre-order code. Many employees are unaware of this, but I've done it for tons of people at my store (also works for the Mortal Kombat Scorpion code and SOCOM 4 map and shotgun codes).

EDIT: I will print out codes for those of you who tried to get the codes for the Roll Cage but didn't. Send me a PM with a picture of the receipt with proof you didn't get a skin and I'll try to get one for you. No idea how many I'll be able to get, so it'll be first come, first serve.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Enuf']Yes, but don't pm this $40 offer kmart will have it for $35 next week.[/QUOTE]

well i want to buy the PC version. (only if i had a PS3 *waves fists*)

but thank you!

I know this is a little off topic but is there anyway I can use the PC STEAM code without a PS3? I've been reading conflicting information about this online and was wondering if anyone has used the PC code without a PS3 and if so, how?

[quote name='sillygal']I know this is a little off topic but is there anyway I can use the PC STEAM code without a PS3? I've been reading conflicting information about this online and was wondering if anyone has used the PC code without a PS3 and if so, how?[/QUOTE]
From what I understand, you have to log into your Steam account in-game on the PS3 first before the code will work in Steam on your PC.

[quote name='sillygal']I know this is a little off topic but is there anyway I can use the PC STEAM code without a PS3? I've been reading conflicting information about this online and was wondering if anyone has used the PC code without a PS3 and if so, how?[/QUOTE]
You must link your Steam account to a PSN account. Only then will you be able to redeem the PC code.

How is K-mart even going to make a profit selling this for $35 when it just came out last week? I am all for a good deal, but I don't understand this business model sometimes.

That said, I will probably just rental Portal 2 from redbox once they get it. I heard it doesn't take long to beat.

business model is take a little loss but get people in the door once in how many just leave with one item i usually buy some thing else drink food or whatever

So is the PC version price going to be $30? And what of the PC version at KMart?

Is this a permanent price drop also?

[quote name='JediDeath']Has anyone here played the 360 version? I'm curious how smoothly it controls.[/QUOTE]

Plays pretty well; didn't notice any problems.

[quote name='JediDeath']Has anyone here played the 360 version? I'm curious how smoothly it controls.[/QUOTE]

it's great, no complaints here. I played the original Portal from xbla and this is way more better, fun and looks better too. Online Co-Op is where it's at, but some of the achievements suck because a couple of your friends have to have the game in order to get some 'cheevos. You could always boost those of course, i'd say it's a good deal @ $35

[quote name='intoxicated662']it's great, no complaints here. I played the original Portal from xbla and this is way more better, fun and looks better too. Online Co-Op is where it's at, but some of the achievements suck because a couple of your friends have to have the game in order to get some 'cheevos. You could always boost those of course, i'd say it's a good deal @ $35[/QUOTE]
That's good to know, thanks. I was debating on which version to get, the PC or XB because--it's silly I know--I really DID want those cheevios but if the controls sucked...

But, I'll probably get the $40 deal because I work at Target and there's a GameStop in our center so I'll just pick up their ad and get my 15%.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']just wondering something guys- There is no kmart in my area. However, since kmart owns sears, won't the same $34.99 deal apply at sears as well?[/QUOTE]

Nope

spoke with one of the guys at gamestop today, he said that all i need to do is provide my receipt and he has no problem honoring the price protection for me (bought it launch day for $54.99)

YMMV as he states the company doesn't always do this

Has this deal been confirmed? I was in Gamestop earlier today(doing the trade 3 games get $10 credit) and I mentioned this deal to the guy working there and he absolutely had no idea what I was talking about.

Damn it....I planned on going tomorrow to do this. Just one more thing to do on Saturday now. Fix the OP as this starts on the 30th and NOT the 29th.

[quote name='mslowe7187']im gonna take this ad into BB tomorrow and see if I can fool them into price matching me a day early on this deal! :bouncy: I've got a $10 BB gift card burning a hole in my wallet[/QUOTE]

The ad is valid starting tomorrow, so you won't have to work that hard to fool them.

How hard is it to price match at Best Buy? Have a $25 BB GC.

I think PMing to Kmart is out because there are none local, but of course there's plenty of Gamestops.

[quote name='shark974']How hard is it to price match at Best Buy? Have a $25 BB GC.

I think PMing to Kmart is out because there are none local, but of course there's plenty of Gamestops.[/QUOTE]

they price match any local brick n mortar competitor, no online price matching. just gotta bring in a hard copy of the ad. im gonna try it tomorrow!

Great find OP. Just bought Portal today but havnt opened yet. Will take back to Target and get it from GS Sunday!

Might have BB online price adjust my mortal Kombat purchase and then bring in my k-mary to price match at 34.99..essentially getting it for around $25. We'll see what happens.

I'll probably get in on this. I was going to wait a while longer but at this price. Need to jump in on that.

My girlfriend got Portal 2 for me as a birthday gift but I havn't opened it yet due to Mortal Kombat. You think it would be possible to bring it back and either get a price adjusted or just return/exchange it to get the $20 off? Would make sense right?

[quote name='bingbangboom']My girlfriend got Portal 2 for me as a birthday gift but I havn't opened it yet due to Mortal Kombat. You think it would be possible to bring it back and either get a price adjusted or just return/exchange it to get the $20 off? Would make sense right?[/QUOTE]

It never hurts to try.

I just checked the gamestop.com site and it's still priced at $59.99. Is this supposed to be an in-store deal starting today?

[quote name='jer7583']$35 at kmart next week, incase you have any coupons/rewards credit there.

Flesseck: you need to connect to PSN to activate the PC copy - since PSN is down PS3 buyers won't be able to activate the Steam Copy until it comes back up sometime next week. Just FYI.[/QUOTE]

awesome news, because I have 25 dollars in rewards, this game is going to ring up at $10 dollars, :cool:

Here is a question. Does anyone know how it works if I were to buy a 2nd copy for my PS3 with Steam. What I am getting as is I have a friend who wants portal 2 but only owns a PC. If I were to buy Portal 2 would I be able to activate my PC copy and then would I have an extra copy to give to her since I already activated my pc copy with my Steam account?

Which then my 2nd PS3 copy will be traded back to gamestop.

[quote name='pico1']I just checked the gamestop.com site and it's still priced at $59.99. Is this supposed to be an in-store deal starting today?[/QUOTE]

Looks like it's in stores only, yes.

CAG FAIL. . .

Because of the title of this thread i went to Gamestop today 4/29 (had to wait in line behind two jackasses for 10 minutes) to find out the portal sale starts tomorrow.

[quote name='skadave']CAG FAIL. . .

Because of the title of this thread i went to Gamestop today 4/29 (had to wait in line behind two jackasses for 10 minutes) to find out the portal sale starts tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

It was $40 today when I went there.

The people buying the PS3 copies to get the PC copy, PSN is required to get to Steam on Portal 2. So you'll have to wait till Tuesday

[quote name='malfuncti0n']really don't understand how Valve thought that $60 was a reasonable asking price for this game. from what i've heard it's not all that much longer than the original.[/QUOTE]

It is really an amazing game, if you like puzzles and appreciate extremely dry humor (some of the best there is in here!). The tales of the shortness are vastly overstated. I haven't played completely through a game in ages within a week of getting it, but this one hooked me till the end. I couldn't wait to get back at it. And if anything, based on the popular rants I was under the assumption that I was just around the corner from the end when I was actually barely half way through. The original felt about as long as the initial third of Portal 2.

The subtle development of the back story was great, I found myself taking a moment to view every sign I found for clues and looking for ways to get into the office areas which frequently offered insights as to what had transpired. Wheatly, GlaDOS and Cave were all extremely funny in vastly different ways. This is not the kind of game where you want to go through with a guide in hand - the challenge lies in figuring them out, not in performing the actions ala Halo or Street Fighter 4.

And that doesn't even touch the co-op mode. It is definitely a full priced value package. Games don't have to be artificially long (hi, FF13 20 hour tutorial) to give value.

[quote name='Microshock']The people buying the PS3 copies to get the PC copy, PSN is required to get to Steam on Portal 2. So you'll have to wait till Tuesday[/QUOTE]

I toiled over this decision. I preordered the PS3 version, but several friends were getting the 360 version. On the last night before ship I changed it to 360, feeling a pang of regret on missing out on the free PC version and Steam integration. After the week and a half PSN downtime, it has soothed that feeling. Yeah Sony, will obviously fix their network, but 3 games with heavy online emphasis are now essentially delayed until they get it done.

It is very ironic that Gabe Newell went on record blasting the PS3 when Orange Box came out, then later proclaimed it's superiority over the 360 due to the network openness. And now, the most touted features of the PS3 are completely useless right after the release due to PSN being a little too open apparently. I wonder if he will be back in the 360 camp for their next release. I love Valve, but this is a perfect example as to why it is not a good idea to pick sides if you make games.

[quote name='defpally']I toiled over this decision. I preordered the PS3 version, but several friends were getting the 360 version. On the last night before ship I changed it to 360, feeling a pang of regret on missing out on the free PC version and Steam integration. After the week and a half PSN downtime, it has soothed that feeling. Yeah Sony, will obviously fix their network, but 3 games with heavy online emphasis are now essentially delayed until they get it done.

It is very ironic that Gabe Newell went on record blasting the PS3 when Orange Box came out, then later proclaimed it's superiority over the 360 due to the network openness. And now, the most touted features of the PS3 are completely useless right after the release due to PSN being a little too open apparently. I wonder if he will be back in the 360 camp for their next release. I love Valve, but this is a perfect example as to why it is not a good idea to pick sides if you make games.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Valve has said they'd put Steam on all platforms but Sony was the only one willing to. Microsoft likes Xbox Live closed.

[quote name='Horsewarrior of Janjaweed']Anyone know if the used version will be dropped alongside? I kinda don't want to buy Portal 2 new.[/QUOTE]
Doubtful. Sometimes these sales cause the used version to be more expensive than a new copy.

[quote name='pico1']I just checked the gamestop.com site and it's still priced at $59.99. Is this supposed to be an in-store deal starting today?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Eviltude']Looks like it's in stores only, yes.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='skadave']CAG FAIL. . .

Because of the title of this thread i went to Gamestop today 4/29 (had to wait in line behind two jackasses for 10 minutes) to find out the portal sale starts tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Jiggaloj']It was $40 today when I went there.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='skadave']Are you sure about that? the ad says it starts tomorrow (which was confirmed by the gamestop employee):

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/weeklyad/...911&affid=3002[/QUOTE]

The sale starts tomorrow, not today. Look on the Ad, under Portal 2 and it says the 30th. The other ads on the same page are the 29th. Although if your really in a rush you can try to price match at another store, I price matched at Walmart to get mine today.

If your planning on trading games, they should give an extra 30% towards the purchase of portal 2 new. Holding off till the 30th if you have games to trade may be the better option than the price match.

As a gamer that has gotten back in the habit of buying new release games this is giving me less and less reason to do so. Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat are $40 two weeks after launch, I got both with deals anyway but it makes me feel a little less worried about picking up games like Brink or L.A. Noire right away.

Not complaining because I would rather these games be cheaper up front and stay that way for a long time.

[quote name='outphase']Doubtful. Sometimes these sales cause the used version to be more expensive than a new copy.[/QUOTE]

I had actually went to GS for a copy of Vanquish and asked for one and the lady said do you want a used copy, I said sure (no scratches BR) and she looked and found that the new version was cheaper than used.

Was when it was $40 new there. I had fun with it!

bread's done
Back