Preorder - The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Boxed Set [Slipcase] - $59.20

barrit

CAGiversary!
New Slipcase Version (thanks for the heads up themaster20000, and suko_32 for the link!)

Previously available only as a part of the now sold-out The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Boxed Set, Dark Horse is pleased to offer fans another chance to own the three-book hardcover set The Sky I, II, and III, included in the new The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Slipcased Edition! Yoshitaka Amano is one of the world's foremost fantasy artists, and The Sky I, II, and III showcase Amano's ethereal illustrations for the first ten Final Fantasy games! Each hardcover book in The Sky Slipcased Edition is 11 5/8" high by 10 5/8" wide, and printed on glossy stock. Volume 1 (144 pages) contains Amano's work for Final Fantasy I-III. Volume 2 (276 pages) contains his contributions for Final Fantasy IV-VI, and volume 3 (156 pages) features his art for Final Fantasy VII-X. The elegant slipcase containing The Sky I, II, and III features the same wraparound exterior artwork as The Sky Boxed Set, with a double-hinged flap that folds around the open edge and is held flat to the back side with a hidden magnetic closure, making it easy both to remove the books and to display the set closed. Don't miss your chance to return to the strange and beautiful realms of Yoshitaka Amano with The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Slipcased Edition!
To summarize, this is the re-release of ONLY Volume 1-3 art books in a slipcase. It does not contain any of the additional books/items of the Original release listed below.

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1616551607/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20 - $59.20

Rightstuf
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/gIUO0rohq5OitYqzzq/browse/item/97427/4/0/0,a=cheap-ass-gamer - $67.49

51Ylb4Rez1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Original OOS Version with additional books, and signed 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" card by Yoshitaka Amano

Amazon US - $88.19 - OOS

Rightstuf - $104.99 + free shipping - OOS

The Book Depository - $104.99 + free shipping - OOS

Amazon UK - NOW £89.25 + Shipping (previously was £68.25 + Shipping.)

Thanks themaster20000, Ionotropic, and Youngnoble for the additional links!

Yoshitaka Amano is one of the world's foremost fantasy artists, and the limited-edition The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy boxed set is a giant-sized (462 cubic inches!), signed collection of five books, plus bonus items that showcase Amano's ethereal illustrations for the first ten Final Fantasy games! The 12" high, 11" wide, and 3 1/2" deep box that encloses The Sky has a hinged lid decorated with artwork from Amano inside and out. Its contents include: Three 11 3/4" by 10 1/2" hardcover books, printed on high-quality stock. Volume 1 (144 pages) contains Amano's work for Final Fantasy I - III. Volume 2 (276 pages) contains his contributions for Final Fantasy IV - VI, and Volume 3 (156 pages) features his art for Final Fantasy VII - X. All About Yoshitaka Amano is 128 pages of photographs and images, serving as the most extensive look ever in English at the artist, including an interview with Amano, a timeline of his career, a glimpse into his studio in SoHo and his favorite places in New York, a visual index of each illustration that appears in the three The Sky hardcover art books, and more! A 2 1/4" by 4 3/4" 100 page Final Fantasy animation flip book designed by Amano, containing two different "movies." A 10 1/4" by 11" acetate print with silver ink. Two 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" postcards featuring the interior and exterior art used on the box. And finally, a signed 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" card by Yoshitaka Amano!
DH14856lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PetersHere']"14 new from $540.00"

Lol! fucking morons...[/QUOTE]

that's the rarer version(only 1000 copies). it's actually going for around that price on ebay.

i bet the people who got their preorder cancelled on the original item are still pissed, i know i would be

Still irked about having my pre-order cancelled for the first printing. Since I don't have enough money to throw around for a copy on eBay, this slipcase set is the next best thing. I'm a little sad it's missing the extras, but I'll get over not having them.

[quote name='boraaa']i bet the people who got their preorder cancelled on the original item are still pissed, i know i would be[/QUOTE]Hmm...

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, same here. Amazon's CS was complete shit in handling this (having been told by a CS rep that my copy is being packed and will ship that day, only to have my order disappear and then receive a cancellation notice a few days later). Of course, Dark Horse wasn't innocent either, they have some serious issues as a distributor (first The Sky, then the Hyrule Historia LE).

Of course, Amazon is still the best option but it's no longer because they're better than other retailers. Other retailers just suck more.

I'm still disappointed beyond belief for getting screwed about the original box set. This set is just some artbooks in a box (no print, no signature)...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ponn01']I'm still very very sour on the box set debacle. I love the art though and still want the books so preordered. Day one preorder so no freaking excuses AMAZON! Hopefully they wont try to flip their supply on warehouse deals for scalper prices like last time.[/QUOTE]
Now why would you think that? :booty:

[quote name='boraaa']i bet the people who got their preorder cancelled on the original item are still pissed, i know i would be[/QUOTE]

Not because they were art fans but that the book is selling for $$$ and they are mad they aren't getting a piece of it. Those same mad people can pre-order now for the same art and should be happy :D

In for one. Yeah I missed my chance on the last one. Comes to about $20 a volume which is pretty standard but this being in HC. Wish the All About Amano book was also included but oh well.

Thanks to the OP that posted this! I too was said that I missed out on the first print but I'm fine with this reprint edition. Yeah, it's missing the signature card, book about the artist and flipbook but I do get what I want the most: the actual art. Can't wait to get it!

Thanks OP! Put in for this! A little bummed about not having the All About Amano book, but I passed on the original due to price and it's certainly not worth 30 dollars to me.

Being one of the people that missed out on the original set, I was willing to pay $400 on ebay for this. So glad the guy turned down my offer! Pre-ordered!

[quote name='bakutenten']Being one of the people that missed out on the original set, I was willing to pay $400 on ebay for this. So glad the guy turned down my offer! Pre-ordered![/QUOTE]
hurray for greed!

So any comments on the art books themselves? As much as I love Final Fantasy (up to IX at least), every time I see the art work for the games it just seems strange and creepy to me. I've had a growing interest in art books, and this one is definitely popular, but I don't know if I'd appreciate it like I could the one for Okami or Journey. Am I in the minority thinking that the art work is creepy, or does it grow on people?

[quote name='EeveeFanboy']So any comments on the art books themselves? As much as I love Final Fantasy (up to IX at least), every time I see the art work for the games it just seems strange and creepy to me. I've had a growing interest in art books, and this one is definitely popular, but I don't know if I'd appreciate it like I could the one for Okami or Journey. Am I in the minority thinking that the art work is creepy, or does it grow on people?[/QUOTE]

I for one like Yoshitaka Amano style. It seems to combine ukiyo-e, art nouveau, and hint of modern Japanese anime style all in one to create something distinctly unique. There is not that many video games that boasts a distinctive artwork as Yoshitaka Amano's style, and tie that to something like the Final Fantasy series its even more worthwhile.

However, if you don't particularly like his style I guess then you should save your money for something you would rather have.

Dark Horse can just eat me. I'm still pissed about them ruining the original printing of this. Now they release some half-assed version and except us to buy that instead? Screw off.

They're so pathetic, they didn't learn a thing from the situation with The Sky. It's repeating all over again with Hyrule Historia. I don't understand why game companies keep using this company - they suck, big time.

Preordered one for a friend for his birthday/Christmas. Wasn't expecting these for another month or so. Oh well. It was going in the closet till then anyway. Just gets to sit longer than I expected.

Wow, shipping already.  EeveeeFanboy you should be ashamed for insulting the greatest artist to come around since Leonardo da Vinci.  Show some bloody respect to Amano-sama.

Bow your head.  Now, what about this "All About Amano" book?  Can someone give me a short summation on it?

Oh and sasukekun I love your kitten pic.  Where's it from?

yeah... I cancelled discounted my pre-order when it shipped early. I tend to spend too much money on guides and art books that I don't actually like much.

I think I would've enjoyed this but... not $52 worth of enjoyment for me. Maybe sometime down the road :3

Wow, shipping already. EeveeeFanboy you should be ashamed for insulting the greatest artist to come around since Leonardo da Vinci. Show some bloody respect to Amano-sama.

Bow your head. Now, what about this "All About Amano" book? Can someone give me a short summation on it?

Oh and sasukekun I love your kitten pic. Where's it from?
Is he your boyfriend or somethin?

Just got mine delivered. The thing is huge and heavy.  It was packed in a standard cardboard box, which contained the book held in a cardboard box that must be from the manufacturer as it fit the book perfectly, and which was isolated in one of those plastic shrink-wrapped to a cardboard sheet things amazon often uses to keep the item from moving during shipments... despite all this the top corner was damaged. The corner is wrinkled pretty badly and ruins the front side cover. The amount of packaging surprisingly didn't ensure an undamaged book. I guess it was dropped before being packed in its separate little box. I doubt many if any people here will have a problem with the book coming in pristine shape.

Anyway, good luck to everyone getting it as it is definitely the most book you can get for your money per pound :).

My order just shipped! Luckily, it turned out to be $52.XX instead of $59 somehow, and considering I didn't get the first hardcover edition, I'm stoked for this one. 

Holy crap, this book is HUGE! It was definitely worth the $50.28 I paid for it (got it in my Quick Picks)! :D/

anybody have a link for the extra stuff that was released in the first edition? Can't seem to find it on ebay...
If you want one of the retailer links, you can go to the OP and click on the RightStuf link I have on there. It has a pic that actually shows all the stuff that came with it. It's basically the same pic I used though in the OP.

kinda shucks that now we have to pay for shipping even with Amazon Prime :/
Yeah, this is the second of two recent items i've seen on amazon that haven't had prime. Strange. I think if you really wanted it and sent an email to amazon they'd probably make an exception for you since it is such a rarity for prime members to have shipping charges.

Just got mine today! Perfect condition alot more heavy than I would of thought. So worth $52 dollars. So beautiful

bread's done
Back