Preorder - The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Boxed Set [Slipcase] - $59.20

barrit

CAGiversary!
New Slipcase Version (thanks for the heads up themaster20000, and suko_32 for the link!)

Previously available only as a part of the now sold-out The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Boxed Set, Dark Horse is pleased to offer fans another chance to own the three-book hardcover set The Sky I, II, and III, included in the new The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Slipcased Edition! Yoshitaka Amano is one of the world's foremost fantasy artists, and The Sky I, II, and III showcase Amano's ethereal illustrations for the first ten Final Fantasy games! Each hardcover book in The Sky Slipcased Edition is 11 5/8" high by 10 5/8" wide, and printed on glossy stock. Volume 1 (144 pages) contains Amano's work for Final Fantasy I-III. Volume 2 (276 pages) contains his contributions for Final Fantasy IV-VI, and volume 3 (156 pages) features his art for Final Fantasy VII-X. The elegant slipcase containing The Sky I, II, and III features the same wraparound exterior artwork as The Sky Boxed Set, with a double-hinged flap that folds around the open edge and is held flat to the back side with a hidden magnetic closure, making it easy both to remove the books and to display the set closed. Don't miss your chance to return to the strange and beautiful realms of Yoshitaka Amano with The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Slipcased Edition!
To summarize, this is the re-release of ONLY Volume 1-3 art books in a slipcase. It does not contain any of the additional books/items of the Original release listed below.

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1616551607/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20 - $59.20

Rightstuf
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/gIUO0rohq5OitYqzzq/browse/item/97427/4/0/0,a=cheap-ass-gamer - $67.49

51Ylb4Rez1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Original OOS Version with additional books, and signed 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" card by Yoshitaka Amano

Amazon US - $88.19 - OOS

Rightstuf - $104.99 + free shipping - OOS

The Book Depository - $104.99 + free shipping - OOS

Amazon UK - NOW £89.25 + Shipping (previously was £68.25 + Shipping.)

Thanks themaster20000, Ionotropic, and Youngnoble for the additional links!

Yoshitaka Amano is one of the world's foremost fantasy artists, and the limited-edition The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy boxed set is a giant-sized (462 cubic inches!), signed collection of five books, plus bonus items that showcase Amano's ethereal illustrations for the first ten Final Fantasy games! The 12" high, 11" wide, and 3 1/2" deep box that encloses The Sky has a hinged lid decorated with artwork from Amano inside and out. Its contents include: Three 11 3/4" by 10 1/2" hardcover books, printed on high-quality stock. Volume 1 (144 pages) contains Amano's work for Final Fantasy I - III. Volume 2 (276 pages) contains his contributions for Final Fantasy IV - VI, and Volume 3 (156 pages) features his art for Final Fantasy VII - X. All About Yoshitaka Amano is 128 pages of photographs and images, serving as the most extensive look ever in English at the artist, including an interview with Amano, a timeline of his career, a glimpse into his studio in SoHo and his favorite places in New York, a visual index of each illustration that appears in the three The Sky hardcover art books, and more! A 2 1/4" by 4 3/4" 100 page Final Fantasy animation flip book designed by Amano, containing two different "movies." A 10 1/4" by 11" acetate print with silver ink. Two 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" postcards featuring the interior and exterior art used on the box. And finally, a signed 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" card by Yoshitaka Amano!
DH14856lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
so i got the email too. so far ive been credited $26 for the error. im not mad at amazon for not knowing there wasnt enough to go around im mad because they cancelled on me and never notified me. like they didnt want me to know. i mean any and all traces of the order were completely gone but luckily i had saved all the emails...

[quote name='Asgardian']I hate amazon for screwing me out of an awesome box set (which honestly is not completely their fault), but they earned a little bit of my respect for eventually taking the blame and compensate everyone when they could have just said: "hard luck, go read our policies", no other online company comes to mind that would have done this.

Are there anywhere taking pre-order for the reprint? I really DONT want to miss it again![/QUOTE]

yea im a bit annoyed by it considering i preordered back in august or july. seems like an epic failure of communication between amazon and dark horse. really dont know why dark horse cant at least print enough to cover the preorders and let the chaos go from there.

[quote name='takotchi']I also got the e-mail. Had to look up what "1616550392" was, although I figured it was The Sky.

Oh well, free $10. $10 to spend on something NOT PUBLISHED BY DARK HORSE. :roll:[/QUOTE]

this.

[quote name='kayne2000']really dont know why dark horse cant at least print enough to cover the preorders and let the chaos go from there.
[/QUOTE]

petition anyone?????

[quote name='kayne2000']yea im a bit annoyed by it considering i preordered back in august or july. seems like an epic failure of communication between amazon and dark horse. really dont know why dark horse cant at least print enough to cover the preorders and let the chaos go from there.
[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing it had something to do with not wanting to go back to Yoshitaka Amano and tell him he needs to autograph a couple hundred more papers, plus the thousand that were already signed because they needed to reprint those with the new total quantity.

If they reprint just the art books for $100, it would still be a hell of a package. I've spent $25-$30 on Okami and Monster Hunter paperback artbooks that are nowhere near the quality of one of these, and there are three books.

[quote name='botticus']I'm guessing it had something to do with not wanting to go back to Yoshitaka Amano and tell him he needs to autograph a couple hundred more papers, plus the thousand that were already signed because they needed to reprint those with the new total quantity.[/QUOTE]

but why would that be bad?

"sorry to tell you mr. amano, but you have way more fans than expected and you have to write your name some more in exchange for all this extra money." :lol:

[quote name='billymagnum']but why would that be bad?

"sorry to tell you mr. amano, but you have way more fans than expected and you have to write your name some more in exchange for all this extra money." :lol:[/QUOTE]
Renegotiating a contract, delaying/repacking shipments, any number of other logistical issues.

[quote name='botticus']I'm guessing it had something to do with not wanting to go back to Yoshitaka Amano and tell him he needs to autograph a couple hundred more papers, plus the thousand that were already signed because they needed to reprint those with the new total quantity.

If they reprint just the art books for $100, it would still be a hell of a package. I've spent $25-$30 on Okami and Monster Hunter paperback artbooks that are nowhere near the quality of one of these, and there are three books.[/QUOTE]

This is totally Dark Horse's fault. If they had just stated in the solicits that they were making the first run limited to 1000 sets, it would've cleared up a lot of confusion. For the retailers selling the sets and for the customers preordering them. They could have not included the signature either and just made more of the sets as they are.

[quote name='billymagnum']petition anyone?????[/QUOTE]

alright CAG's lets get on this lol

[quote name='sephiroth61787']This is totally Dark Horse's fault. If they had just stated in the solicits that they were making the first run limited to 1000 sets, it would've cleared up a lot of confusion. For the retailers selling the sets and for the customers preordering them. They could have not included the signature either and just made more of the sets as they are.[/QUOTE]

i agree it is likely dark horses fault....but then again there could be other factors at play. whos to say really

[quote name='botticus']Renegotiating a contract, delaying/repacking shipments, any number of other logistical issues.[/QUOTE]

while i get your point lawyers and contracts are nightmares the general concept is basically here sign your name a few hundred more times for a whole ton of money and why anyone would turn that down is insane. thats even assuming these are actual signatures and not print copy signatures that look like real signatures....and before anyone says it yes they might say it is the real signature but there is a high chance it is one of those print copy ones. lets not forget lawyer and legal talk is often completely different than actual normal talk.

i guess on the bright side i now have 65(+10 they just credited me so 75) dollars of amazon credit i no am saving for this....

[quote name='kayne2000']alright CAG's lets get on this lol

i agree it is likely dark horses fault....but then again there could be other factors at play. whos to say really

while i get your point lawyers and contracts are nightmares the general concept is basically here sign your name a few hundred more times for a whole ton of money and why anyone would turn that down is insane. thats even assuming these are actual signatures and not print copy signatures that look like real signatures....and before anyone says it yes they might say it is the real signature but there is a high chance it is one of those print copy ones. lets not forget lawyer and legal talk is often completely different than actual normal talk.

i guess on the bright side i now have 65(+10 they just credited me so 75) dollars of amazon credit i no am saving for this....[/QUOTE]

You neither know how much money he would be paid for it nor how many signatures would be required. Stop being an idiot.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']You neither know how much money he would be paid for it nor how many signatures would be required. Stop being an idiot.[/QUOTE]

so turning down money for signing your name? yea and im the idiot....

I didn't love his art enough to drop 88 dollars on this set but I'd consider a three book set at a lower price point. This is probably pretty smart, but they should make both versions available even without the signature.

Kind of hope a mod would just lock this thread. Its pretty obvious this thing is sold out everywhere and the discussion has turned into what it has in the past few posts...

Sorry for the late bump, but for someone who did receive his/her copy of The Sky from Amazon.com, when was the original order placed? July? June?

[quote name='iGen']Sorry for the late bump, but for someone who did receive his/her copy of The Sky from Amazon.com, when was the original order placed? July? June?[/QUOTE]

i'd be curious to know what the cutoff was lol

[quote name='kayne2000']i'd be curious to know what the cutoff was lol[/QUOTE]

I got mine from Amazon and I ordered on August 6th. So I imagine cutoff was around there maybe?

Also, I am a 6+ year Prime member as well. I tend to wonder if that ever comes into effect in situations like this.

August 7th for me. I probably hit up customer service 4-5 times around the release date to complain because mine didn't ship with the first wave though.

I put my order in on July 8th, after stumbling upon it while checking game prices and knowing I had to have it. This set is awesome. It's a shame that so few were made, and that many of them ended up going to second-hand dealers charging more than twice the MSRP.

[quote name='barrit']Thanks for the heads up. I updated the OP.[/QUOTE]

Does rightstuf charge your card when the item ships or do they do it immediately?

[quote name='keine']Does rightstuf charge your card when the item ships or do they do it immediately?[/QUOTE]

When it ships, but they'll also put through an authorization charge that will sit in your account for a few days.

The price this time is much more palatable, so I'm in for a pre-order should I choose to keep it. Don't really care for fancy extras that drive price points; only the art.

[quote name='Jodou']The price this time is much more palatable, so I'm in for a pre-order should I choose to keep it. Don't really care for fancy extras that drive price points; only the art.[/QUOTE]

I went ahead and preordered it as well. We have until July to change our minds anyway.

i preordered at rightstuf right before the amazon link came up. i ordered one there too but im leaving the other one until the release gets closer. i sort of feel like i need both as a security measure just in case they over sell the preorder.....again...

I'm still very very sour on the box set debacle. I love the art though and still want the books so preordered. Day one preorder so no freaking excuses AMAZON! Hopefully they wont try to flip their supply on warehouse deals for scalper prices like last time.

Thanks for the heads up! Had been looking around for awhile for pre-order news.

[quote name='ponn01']I'm still very very sour on the box set debacle. I love the art though and still want the books so preordered. Day one preorder so no freaking excuses AMAZON! Hopefully they wont try to flip their supply on warehouse deals for scalper prices like last time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here. Amazon's CS was complete shit in handling this (having been told by a CS rep that my copy is being packed and will ship that day, only to have my order disappear and then receive a cancellation notice a few days later). Of course, Dark Horse wasn't innocent either, they have some serious issues as a distributor (first The Sky, then the Hyrule Historia LE).

Of course, Amazon is still the best option but it's no longer because they're better than other retailers. Other retailers just suck more.

I'm still disappointed beyond belief for getting screwed about the original box set. This set is just some artbooks in a box (no print, no signature)...

I'm glad they are rereleasing the art books, that's what matters the most to me, plus the $60 credit they gave me for messing up my pervious pre-order meant I'm really getting this set for free. Thanks OP for the heads up.

bread's done
Back