Preorder - The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Boxed Set [Slipcase] - $59.20

barrit

CAGiversary!
New Slipcase Version (thanks for the heads up themaster20000, and suko_32 for the link!)

Previously available only as a part of the now sold-out The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Boxed Set, Dark Horse is pleased to offer fans another chance to own the three-book hardcover set The Sky I, II, and III, included in the new The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Slipcased Edition! Yoshitaka Amano is one of the world's foremost fantasy artists, and The Sky I, II, and III showcase Amano's ethereal illustrations for the first ten Final Fantasy games! Each hardcover book in The Sky Slipcased Edition is 11 5/8" high by 10 5/8" wide, and printed on glossy stock. Volume 1 (144 pages) contains Amano's work for Final Fantasy I-III. Volume 2 (276 pages) contains his contributions for Final Fantasy IV-VI, and volume 3 (156 pages) features his art for Final Fantasy VII-X. The elegant slipcase containing The Sky I, II, and III features the same wraparound exterior artwork as The Sky Boxed Set, with a double-hinged flap that folds around the open edge and is held flat to the back side with a hidden magnetic closure, making it easy both to remove the books and to display the set closed. Don't miss your chance to return to the strange and beautiful realms of Yoshitaka Amano with The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Slipcased Edition!
To summarize, this is the re-release of ONLY Volume 1-3 art books in a slipcase. It does not contain any of the additional books/items of the Original release listed below.

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1616551607/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20 - $59.20

Rightstuf
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/gIUO0rohq5OitYqzzq/browse/item/97427/4/0/0,a=cheap-ass-gamer - $67.49

51Ylb4Rez1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Original OOS Version with additional books, and signed 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" card by Yoshitaka Amano

Amazon US - $88.19 - OOS

Rightstuf - $104.99 + free shipping - OOS

The Book Depository - $104.99 + free shipping - OOS

Amazon UK - NOW £89.25 + Shipping (previously was £68.25 + Shipping.)

Thanks themaster20000, Ionotropic, and Youngnoble for the additional links!

Yoshitaka Amano is one of the world's foremost fantasy artists, and the limited-edition The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy boxed set is a giant-sized (462 cubic inches!), signed collection of five books, plus bonus items that showcase Amano's ethereal illustrations for the first ten Final Fantasy games! The 12" high, 11" wide, and 3 1/2" deep box that encloses The Sky has a hinged lid decorated with artwork from Amano inside and out. Its contents include: Three 11 3/4" by 10 1/2" hardcover books, printed on high-quality stock. Volume 1 (144 pages) contains Amano's work for Final Fantasy I - III. Volume 2 (276 pages) contains his contributions for Final Fantasy IV - VI, and Volume 3 (156 pages) features his art for Final Fantasy VII - X. All About Yoshitaka Amano is 128 pages of photographs and images, serving as the most extensive look ever in English at the artist, including an interview with Amano, a timeline of his career, a glimpse into his studio in SoHo and his favorite places in New York, a visual index of each illustration that appears in the three The Sky hardcover art books, and more! A 2 1/4" by 4 3/4" 100 page Final Fantasy animation flip book designed by Amano, containing two different "movies." A 10 1/4" by 11" acetate print with silver ink. Two 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" postcards featuring the interior and exterior art used on the box. And finally, a signed 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" card by Yoshitaka Amano!
DH14856lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='animemaniac14']boo just got back order e-mail that it won't ship until Dec-Jan...which pretty much means it won't ship at all[/QUOTE]

Same here. :cry:

I've been calling Barnes and Noble and went in-store trying to secure my preordered copy. They had the publication date as yesterday, but received no copies store-wide.

[quote name='scottc1s']Would Barnes and nobles have any copies in there store?[/QUOTE]

I would hope not. My preorder with them just got the dreaded "delayed" email.

I'd like to thank Dark Horse, for not disclosing how limited this set was until they cut off orders. Amazon, for canceling my last pre-order. And Barnes and Noble, for not even giving a damn.

Got the delay e-mail from Amazon. What is everyone's honest opinion on that? I take it this isn't an indication that more are being printed, right? I suspect this means that either Amazon believes they are getting another shipment OR that they are waiting to see if anyone cancels their order, and then plans to fulfill other orders with those cancellations.

I.e., if everyone agrees this is nonsense and Amazon is just screwing around, that makes the whole thing less bitter down the line. I seem to remember having another instance of this a long time ago, and the item in question just got continually pushed back.

Otherwise, very, very upset. Amano is hands down my favorite contemporary artist, and this set would look extremely nice alongside my existing books. Might break down and check the Amazon Warehouse and just take the damage. Sorry to others out there who didn't get theirs. I'm going to try and check out comic shops around town in the next few days, but I'm not really holding my breath on that.

[quote name='Strell']Got the delay e-mail from Amazon. What is everyone's honest opinion on that? I take it this isn't an indication that more are being printed, right? I suspect this means that either Amazon believes they are getting another shipment OR that they are waiting to see if anyone cancels their order, and then plans to fulfill other orders with those cancellations.

I.e., if everyone agrees this is nonsense and Amazon is just screwing around, that makes the whole thing less bitter down the line. I seem to remember having another instance of this a long time ago, and the item in question just got continually pushed back.

Otherwise, very, very upset. Amano is hands down my favorite contemporary artist, and this set would look extremely nice alongside my existing books. Might break down and check the Amazon Warehouse and just take the damage. Sorry to others out there who didn't get theirs. I'm going to try and check out comic shops around town in the next few days, but I'm not really holding my breath on that.[/QUOTE]

Having spoken with the president of Dark Horse, I wouldn't count on another print. He told me there were small amounts preordered the first time it was solicited back in 2011, thus the constant delays.

My Amazon order also got "delayed". fuck Dark Horse. At least I know to never order another publication of theirs. Waste of time...

[quote name='sephiroth61787']Having spoken with the president of Dark Horse, I wouldn't count on another print. He told me there were small amounts preordered the first time it was solicited back in 2011, thus the constant delays.[/QUOTE]

So Amazon is just playing grabass, yeah? Damn that's disappointing. And hell, I'm just complaining about ordering in August, to say nothing of the irritation you've had to put up with. :/

Got delay email. Total stall tactic. Will be speaking to amazon CS today. Have screenshot of books they put up under warehouse deals for 175 will be submitting to them. Total BS .

I haven't gotten anything from amzon yet, not sure if that is good or bad...

I ordered on August 21, what about you people?

Did you notice there is a review up on amazon, sounded like they ordered it from amazon.

I pre-ordered several months ago, and I got mine in a few days ago.

I feel bad for everyone who pre-ordered and didn't get it - I know that is extremely disappointing. I wouldn't get your hopes up about them fulfilling all of the orders.

Also, the fact that they have copies listed on Warehouse Deals just means they got a return (or damaged in the warehouse) that they can't sell as brand new. So it isn't necessarily a sign that they have extra copies or even will be getting more.

Regarding the pricing - I believe there is some kind of algorithm that goes into automatically determining pricing, so because other available prices are higher, that would help to explain why the price is higher than what they were selling it new for. Someone doesn't manually monitor every price for items that go into Warehouse Deals. Although, maybe if brought to their attention, they might be able to give you a good deal, I don't know. Especially if you pre-ordered one and it got delayed. Worth a try.

Good luck to everyone!

I also got the dreaded delay email from Amazon this morning after reading that others had received their sets last week. After typing to a CSR this morning, it seems that they really had little to no information about what was happening going forward with this and that the new estimated delivery date had been provided to them from the supplier. Based on what I'm reading here though, it sounds like this was definitely a small run and that it is likely not available to purchase anymore. Good luck to those who are still waiting. Maybe you can find one locally at a comic book store. :cry:

"Sorry for the incovenience, yes they are out of stock. Here is a $10 credit for your incovenience and you can buy from other sellers that have it listed"

Yea, great thanks. Maybe I will buy that $400 one right there. CSR was dead sllent when I brought up the warehouse books for $175 and then mysteriously disconnected when I mentioned BBB.

[quote name='Asgardian']I haven't gotten anything from amzon yet, not sure if that is good or bad...

I ordered on August 21, what about you people?

Did you notice there is a review up on amazon, sounded like they ordered it from amazon.[/QUOTE]

I ordered Aug. 21 as well, and got the delay e-mail.

[quote name='Strell']So Amazon is just playing grabass, yeah? Damn that's disappointing. And hell, I'm just complaining about ordering in August, to say nothing of the irritation you've had to put up with. :/[/QUOTE]

I was very excited when Dark Horse first announced this. Then when I found out about the subsequent delays and nobody knew anything, I decided to go to Dark Horse themselves. They didn't respond to my email, my forum post, my Facebook post, etc. I wasn't harassing them either, I'd do each type of communication a week apart. I then figured out their email addresses and got a few of the higher-ups to respond. I tried emailing them again recently about tha debacle, now they won't respond (even when they told me to go to them the next time I had an issue/question).

I put the blame on this solely on Dark Horse. Their lack of communication on their products that people want is astounding. Why not mention earlier that only a 1000 copies of this were being produced? It could have saved a lot of time and hassles for a lot of people.

I dread that they are the ones putting out the Hyrule Hystoria. It'll probably be three years before we get that (and probably only 500 copies produced!).

Welp, if anyone in this thread suddenly doesn't want theirs, there are plenty of us who are willing to work out a deal with you.

I would be very surprised if Hyrule Historia is an LE, since the Japanese edition is still in print and fairly easy to get.

That said, I feel for those having problems with their orders and agree that a lot of this is Dark Horse's fault, in their failure to let anyone know just how limited The Sky was. Hopefully they at least do a less-limited reprint (without the autograph, perhaps, but with everything else); at this point, they would be crazy not to.

Once again: good luck, everyone...

ETA: Been discussing this issue elsewhere with someone this morning, and they have a theory as to why Dark Horse didn't announce the run - Indeed..but I think they didn't announce it for a reason. If they did, there would be a huge number of preorders made whose sole purpose is to resell. So if Amano only allowed Dark Horse 1000 copies, and Dark Horse had their customers in mind, then they would've wanted as many collectors to get it as possible.

I'm not sure if I agree with that theory, but just wanted to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but that doesn't stop resellers period. Look at the Okami artbook. It went OOP apparently within the last few weeks. I had it in my wish list from Amazon for a while. The price was only $27 but I just kept putting it off. Suddenly, it wasn't listed anymore, and now prices have shot up to nearly four times that. Resellers are going to jack up prices no matter what, and unless you're constantly making an unlimited supply, I doubt that they couldn't still make a profit at some point.

I mean, I get it - there's no real reason to debate any of this, and I'm not trying to say anyone's wrong. It just kind of sucks for fans that wanted it. You can just call it envy/jealousy if you want, because yeah - I'm damn jelly now. Not so much angry as I am disappointed, as it's good to know some CAGs got their copies and are enjoying them.

No big deal either way; I'll probably just eat the cost at some point since I really want this.

[quote name='Zaku77']I put my order in with Amazon UK, but I was an idiot and waited until the price jumped WAY up. :/[/QUOTE]

How much did it go up by? I emailed Amazon on Tuesday asking about the status of my order and they told me it was packing and would be shipped by tomorrow. I figured there's no need to order one from Amazon.co.uk. Of course, I got the delay email this morning... really fucking pissed at that lying PoS CS rep.

It costs $156 to import from Amazon.co.uk... fucking ridiculous to think I'll end up paying over $60 now because Amazon fucked up.

Additionally, they didn't honor the pre-order price guarantee on one of my other orders (would have saved $16) and now, I have to figure out some way to prove that they had a lower price before they shipped.

Called three comic shops on my lunch, the first two had no idea what I was even talking about. So I called one in the area I used to live and he sold his two copies already. :( Checked with his distributor online and it's on back-order as expected. Looks like I'm going without this set, would cost almost double getting it from a comic shop anyway.

I hold no hope on getting it from Barnes and Noble, ready to flip them the bird. But props to Keith's Komix in Schaumburg for looking for me. If you live in the western burbs, check them out.

[quote name='Strell']Yeah, but that doesn't stop resellers period. Look at the Okami artbook. It went OOP apparently within the last few weeks. I had it in my wish list from Amazon for a while. The price was only $27 but I just kept putting it off. Suddenly, it wasn't listed anymore, and now prices have shot up to nearly four times that. Resellers are going to jack up prices no matter what, and unless you're constantly making an unlimited supply, I doubt that they couldn't still make a profit at some point.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much the same thing happened to me with the GTA: Vice City soundtrack box set. And agreed.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Called three comic shops on my lunch, the first two had no idea what I was even talking about. So I called one in the area I used to live and he sold his two copies already. :( Checked with his distributor online and it's on back-order as expected. Looks like I'm going without this set, would cost almost double getting it from a comic shop anyway.

I hold no hope on getting it from Barnes and Noble, ready to flip them the bird. But props to Keith's Komix in Schaumburg for looking for me. If you live in the western burbs, check them out.[/QUOTE]

Just called my local store, and he said he knew what I was talking about but they had not ordered any copies. He said they could probably order one if I wanted though, and I informed him that it was probably too late. :cry:

Judging from the "backorder" emails Amazon has now officially started to rolll out I think it's safe to say these book are now completely sold out. My advice is if your Amazon order has not shipped as of this moment you need to find an alternative source. Call your local comic book stores, see if they have anything or browse around on *shudder* Ebay.

But yeah, don't wait around for Amazon, this goose is cooked.

Sorry you missed out CAGers, but best of luck locating this art book set.

I'll repeat what others have stated.

Call your local comic stores. You may get lucky.
It'd be full MSRP though (139.99), but still cheaper than what I've seen eBay selling them for.

[quote name='Zaku77']For some reason Amazon UK still has it listed as a pre-order? Event though it has a release date of October 30th. :/[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing they're probably sold out as well.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm guessing they're probably sold out as well.[/QUOTE]

If you look at its sales numbers, it probably is. I preordered when it was 68 pounds. My order still hasn't shipped and I placed it months ago.

Amazon Bestsellers Rank:$1,436 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)#1$in$Books$>$Computers & Internet$>$PC & Video Games$>$Strategy Guides$>$Characters & Brands$>$Final Fantasy#2$in$Books$>$Computers & Internet$>$PC & Video Games$>$Strategy Guides$>$Genres$>$Role-playing Games#18$in$Books$>$Sports, Hobbies & Games$>$Hobbies & Games$

Well, I got my ebay copy yesterday and I LOVE it. Amazing set and worth the money I spent. Sucks that I did not get my B&N order, but I'm just glad to have a copy.

[quote name='Zaku77']For some reason Amazon UK still has it listed as a pre-order? Event though it has a release date of October 30th. :/[/QUOTE]

I ordered there and it was supposed to be dispatched on Oct. 31. Just talked with an Amazon rep, and they said the supplier hadn't contacted them about cancellation. I wouldn't be surprised if they took too many pre-orders, though.

[quote name='Auburn']I still haven't heard anything about my US order. How should I take this?[/QUOTE]

There was only a thousand made, you aint gettin it.

[quote name='ponn01']There was only a thousand made, you aint gettin it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was afraid of this. I ordered August 21st and it looks like I'm shit out of luck. :(

There's no way I'm paying $200+ on eBay. Oh well.

I hadn't been sure why people said this was limited to 1000 but now I see why (for those that didn't see this).
61-HvascttL.jpg

Wish I could get a hold of one.

[quote name='Arakias']I hadn't been sure why people said this was limited to 1000 but now I see why (for those that didn't see this).
61-HvascttL.jpg

Wish I could get a hold of one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I posted a pic of mine near the beginning. The signatures are authentic and done with differen pens/pencils, which I think is cool.

389419_591977790424_1871124752_n.jpg

My order from August just got cancelled from Amazon. It said the delivery date would be Nov.5-9. Oh well shit happens I just hate when pre-orders fall through.

[quote name='Bumslie']My order from August just got cancelled from Amazon. It said the delivery date would be Nov.5-9. Oh well shit happens I just hate when pre-orders fall through.[/QUOTE]

Just checked, and mine was cancelled as well (it's no longer in my open orders). However, I do not have a cancellation e-mail yet.

[quote name='Strell']Yeah, but that doesn't stop resellers period. Look at the Okami artbook. It went OOP apparently within the last few weeks. I had it in my wish list from Amazon for a while. The price was only $27 but I just kept putting it off. Suddenly, it wasn't listed anymore, and now prices have shot up to nearly four times that. Resellers are going to jack up prices no matter what, and unless you're constantly making an unlimited supply, I doubt that they couldn't still make a profit at some point.

I mean, I get it - there's no real reason to debate any of this, and I'm not trying to say anyone's wrong. It just kind of sucks for fans that wanted it. You can just call it envy/jealousy if you want, because yeah - I'm damn jelly now. Not so much angry as I am disappointed, as it's good to know some CAGs got their copies and are enjoying them.

No big deal either way; I'll probably just eat the cost at some point since I really want this.[/QUOTE]

the Okami artbook has gone in and out of print since it was released, so it might get reprinted again. I thought the publisher, Udon, put out some message telling people to sit tight if any of their books went out of print, because they'd inevitably get reprinted...but I'm too lazy to verify.

and yeah, I am pretty salty that I didn't check this out. Not a huge FF fan, but I like Amano's art work a lot.

[quote name='pjb16']Just checked, and mine was cancelled as well (it's no longer in my open orders). However, I do not have a cancellation e-mail yet.[/QUOTE]

Same here-- no email but it's not in my open orders anymore.

Can't say I'm surprised, but Amazon has been pissing me off a lot lately.

It's very unlikely that this will be reprinted, since Amano signed each copy.

bread's done
Back