Preorder - The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Boxed Set [Slipcase] - $59.20

barrit

CAGiversary!
New Slipcase Version (thanks for the heads up themaster20000, and suko_32 for the link!)

Previously available only as a part of the now sold-out The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Boxed Set, Dark Horse is pleased to offer fans another chance to own the three-book hardcover set The Sky I, II, and III, included in the new The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Slipcased Edition! Yoshitaka Amano is one of the world's foremost fantasy artists, and The Sky I, II, and III showcase Amano's ethereal illustrations for the first ten Final Fantasy games! Each hardcover book in The Sky Slipcased Edition is 11 5/8" high by 10 5/8" wide, and printed on glossy stock. Volume 1 (144 pages) contains Amano's work for Final Fantasy I-III. Volume 2 (276 pages) contains his contributions for Final Fantasy IV-VI, and volume 3 (156 pages) features his art for Final Fantasy VII-X. The elegant slipcase containing The Sky I, II, and III features the same wraparound exterior artwork as The Sky Boxed Set, with a double-hinged flap that folds around the open edge and is held flat to the back side with a hidden magnetic closure, making it easy both to remove the books and to display the set closed. Don't miss your chance to return to the strange and beautiful realms of Yoshitaka Amano with The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy Slipcased Edition!
To summarize, this is the re-release of ONLY Volume 1-3 art books in a slipcase. It does not contain any of the additional books/items of the Original release listed below.

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1616551607/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20 - $59.20

Rightstuf
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/gIUO0rohq5OitYqzzq/browse/item/97427/4/0/0,a=cheap-ass-gamer - $67.49

51Ylb4Rez1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Original OOS Version with additional books, and signed 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" card by Yoshitaka Amano

Amazon US - $88.19 - OOS

Rightstuf - $104.99 + free shipping - OOS

The Book Depository - $104.99 + free shipping - OOS

Amazon UK - NOW £89.25 + Shipping (previously was £68.25 + Shipping.)

Thanks themaster20000, Ionotropic, and Youngnoble for the additional links!

Yoshitaka Amano is one of the world's foremost fantasy artists, and the limited-edition The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy boxed set is a giant-sized (462 cubic inches!), signed collection of five books, plus bonus items that showcase Amano's ethereal illustrations for the first ten Final Fantasy games! The 12" high, 11" wide, and 3 1/2" deep box that encloses The Sky has a hinged lid decorated with artwork from Amano inside and out. Its contents include: Three 11 3/4" by 10 1/2" hardcover books, printed on high-quality stock. Volume 1 (144 pages) contains Amano's work for Final Fantasy I - III. Volume 2 (276 pages) contains his contributions for Final Fantasy IV - VI, and Volume 3 (156 pages) features his art for Final Fantasy VII - X. All About Yoshitaka Amano is 128 pages of photographs and images, serving as the most extensive look ever in English at the artist, including an interview with Amano, a timeline of his career, a glimpse into his studio in SoHo and his favorite places in New York, a visual index of each illustration that appears in the three The Sky hardcover art books, and more! A 2 1/4" by 4 3/4" 100 page Final Fantasy animation flip book designed by Amano, containing two different "movies." A 10 1/4" by 11" acetate print with silver ink. Two 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" postcards featuring the interior and exterior art used on the box. And finally, a signed 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" card by Yoshitaka Amano!
DH14856lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What I think is more likely to happen is a second pressing *without* the Amano signature. It's a fairly large expense to just press 1000 of these things and then stop, and even more foolish to ignore what's basically money on the table from people who still want it.

Dark Horse confirmed the Sky would be reprinted.

However there is a catch. It will be a slipcase version of the three core books only.
The autobiography, flipbook, along with the other goodies will not be included.

Essentially, they're releasing a "lite" version for those that missed out. ETA is early 2013.

[quote name='Siye']Dark Horse confirmed the Sky would be reprinted.

However there is a catch. It will be a slipcase version of the three core books only.

Essentially, they're releasing a "lite" version for those that missed out. ETA is early 2013.[/QUOTE]

Fine with me. Will buy! :)

Essentially, they're releasing a "lite" version for those that missed out. ETA is early 2013.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully they're coupling the "lite" version with a "lite" price. I want these books as much as anyone, but I suppose I have to draw the principle line somewhere.

Sounds good to me, it'll probably be much cheaper too.

Not the same thing then... unless it's like $20, I'm not buying this half-assed reprint.

[quote name='Vinny']Not the same thing then... unless it's like $20, I'm not buying this half-assed reprint.[/QUOTE]

Then don't? I'm only interested in the actual artbooks so I'm almost glad I missed out on this edition.

I don't really know how to feel about this supposed reprint, because I'm still butthurt over my Amazon preorder disappearing into thin air. I just need a little more time to cool off. Although, like Vinny, the price will probably play an important factor for me. And I would prefer to get it someplace other than Amazon. :/

yeah i do a search and my order pops up...click on it and POOF. with a pop-up message that says "HAHA! BURNED!"

seriously though, how does amazon just make an order disappear like that?

[quote name='animemaniac14']
seriously though, how does amazon just make an order disappear like that?[/QUOTE]
They did that to me with Diablo 3 CE when it came out, TWICE. it really ticked me off because the first order I never even got an e-mail regarding the cancellation. It was just, POOF your order is gone. Nothing ever happened! Then the second time was when everyone was scalping the hell out of it, and I really just wanted one for myself. Found one on AWD for $67.xx, bought it. But naw, a day later I got a cancellation saying they couldn't find my item, yet I saw them put up 3 more AWD D3s for the new wonderful price of $124.xx

Luckily I managed to snag one from the place I least expected.. goHastings.

Amazon kinda pissed me off on this, cause mine too disappeared, with no email or anything stating that it did. I contacted them, and got the usual canned reply of "Sorry, we can't control our inventory through suppliers, keep checking" and also had the line of "you should have received an email stating that your order was canceled". That is the most irritiating thing, cause I know people here never got an email either. I would have been perfectly fine if I had got the normal "sorry, can't get it, just letting you know" email.

I did some searching around for more info about this reprint (since I didn't trust this news without a source), and came upon this: http://twitter.com/DarkHorseComics/status/266570473389842432

So yeah, no postcards, print, "All About Yoshitaka Amano" (which is the best of the extras, IMO), or flipbook. The three core books are very nice though, so at least it's something *shrug*

[quote name='eXiON']They did that to me with Diablo 3 CE when it came out, TWICE. it really ticked me off because the first order I never even got an e-mail regarding the cancellation. It was just, POOF your order is gone. Nothing ever happened! Then the second time was when everyone was scalping the hell out of it, and I really just wanted one for myself. Found one on AWD for $67.xx, bought it. But naw, a day later I got a cancellation saying they couldn't find my item, yet I saw them put up 3 more AWD D3s for the new wonderful price of $124.xx

Luckily I managed to snag one from the place I least expected.. goHastings.[/QUOTE]
Eww, goHastings... but at least you got it!

[quote name='Saix_XIII']First Valkyria Chronicles, then Zelda, and now FF....Ugh thankfully this is a bit too much for me to justify, but I am very tempted.[/QUOTE]

Which one was the Zelda one?

so i thought i was golden. never received a cancellation from amazon. they even had me approve the delay. now i go check the order and SURPRISE its just gone. im not in a nasty back and forth with amazon and they acknowledge they never sent me a cancel notice but they did cancel it. trying to find out why and how to compensate me...

really sucks. but ill take the reprint abd not have to worry about its rareness so much. i want to enjoy the art not keep it locked away or resell on ebay like some ppl

Glad to hear on news about the reprint. If it's true, then it will be in one of their solicitations in the next few months.

I'm happy with my copy and wouldn't part with it, but it's nice for people who just want the three artbooks.

[quote name='billymagnum']so i thought i was golden. never received a cancellation from amazon. they even had me approve the delay. now i go check the order and SURPRISE its just gone. im not in a nasty back and forth with amazon and they acknowledge they never sent me a cancel notice but they did cancel it. trying to find out why and how to compensate me...

really sucks. but ill take the reprint abd not have to worry about its rareness so much. i want to enjoy the art not keep it locked away or resell on ebay like some ppl[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the same thing happened to me. :/ I talked to a CSR and requested a supervisor to see if there would be any way they could get a hold of another copy for me. Unfortunately, he said nothing could be done on the matter. However, he did add a $20 credit to my account. It's not the art book, but it's something at least.

Hmm, my UK order is still there for December. Wonder if I should wait and see if it comes or cancel and just get the cheaper reprint (I mostly just care about the art).

Preordered in August before this was even posted. Got burned like the rest.

Definitely weak the way Amazon handled the cancelations. As others have said, you can barter with an Amazon CSR to get a credit. They should've just given it to people upfront which has happened in the past, or at least been honest about the lack of inventory. Usually their customer service is amazing.

Preordered in August before this was even posted. Got burned like the rest.

Definitely weak the way Amazon handled the cancelations. As others have said, you can barter with an Amazon CSR to get a credit. They should've just given it to people upfront which has happened in the past, or at least been honest about the lack of inventory. Usually their customer service is amazing.

[quote name='joeyatog']Wow, sounds like Amazon really dropped the ball on this one! I hope the reprint isn't as hard to find for those who want it.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it's Amazon's fault. Dark Horse didn't tell anybody how limited it was going to be until it was almost released. It's their fault for not printing enough or giving retailers a realistic idea of their inventory so they could have cut-off pre-orders.

As for the lame re-print, fuck them. Not buying the gimped version after getting screwed the first time. I guess they expect us to pay $60-70 or whatever for a "consolation prize"? Give me a break! :roll:

yeah, amazon doesn't print or publish books. they respond to information given to them by publishers, which is why their shipping dates jump around all the time and why they have to cancel orders and such.

and that's how supply chains work, kids. There isn't some idiot at amazon randomly hitting buttons that fuck with people's orders.

[quote name='takotchi']I doubt it's Amazon's fault. Dark Horse didn't tell anybody how limited it was going to be until it was almost released. It's their fault for not printing enough or giving retailers a realistic idea of their inventory so they could have cut-off pre-orders.

As for the lame re-print, fuck them. Not buying the gimped version after getting screwed the first time. I guess they expect us to pay $60-70 or whatever for a "consolation prize"? Give me a break! :roll:[/QUOTE]

I think most people that didn't get it will be content on just getting the 3 artbooks. Thinking otherwise just makes you sound like a reseller. $60-$70 for 3 full size artbooks is a great deal as well.

[quote name='Gosha']I think most people that didn't get it will be content on just getting the 3 artbooks. Thinking otherwise just makes you sound like a reseller. $60-$70 for 3 full size artbooks is a great deal as well.[/QUOTE]

pretty much. i just like Amano's art. I don't expect him to sign every copy in existence and I don't expect them to manufacture expensive custom boxes for every single one. The goal is to have Amano's FF art all in one place.

Utility > collector fetish

[quote name='misbitski']Preordered in August before this was even posted. Got burned like the rest.

Definitely weak the way Amazon handled the cancelations. As others have said, you can barter with an Amazon CSR to get a credit. They should've just given it to people upfront which has happened in the past, or at least been honest about the lack of inventory. Usually their customer service is amazing.[/QUOTE]

me too. ordered in august. and they usually are amazing. they cancelled on me with no warning or communication. still in a back and forth with them. they have given me a $10 "shut up" credit...

oh well i really wanted the extras to frame but whatever as usual with stuff like this 99% who got them are going to resell at +300% retail and %1 aka the real fans who got them are very lucky and i hope they cherish them.

I didn't get any credit at all, but not pushing the envelope. Just taking my "too bad, so sad" and going home. Not buying the re-release out of principle though.

[quote name='Gosha']I think most people that didn't get it will be content on just getting the 3 artbooks. Thinking otherwise just makes you sound like a reseller. $60-$70 for 3 full size artbooks is a great deal as well.[/QUOTE]

Oh, shut up. I'm not a reseller. I'm a fan of the art, that's why I would want the extra stuff beyond the 3 books, which is, wait for it... more Amano art, among other things. Derp! :applause:

That said, I'm not a crazy enough fan to accept the inferior reprint just because the publisher screwed up the first time. I'm not going to reward them for that.

[quote name='takotchi']Oh, shut up. I'm not a reseller. I'm a fan of the art, that's why I would want the extra stuff beyond the 3 books, which is, wait for it... more Amano art, among other things. Derp! :applause:

That said, I'm not a crazy enough fan to accept the inferior reprint just because the publisher screwed up the first time. I'm not going to reward them for that.[/QUOTE]

So you're a fan of the art but won't buy the art because it doesn't come with some extra art?

I guess I got lucky. I didn't even know this existed until it popped up for 5% off in my Amazon Gold Box on July 29th. I thought what the hell and placed an order. Got it a few weeks ago. I didn't even know it was this scarce.

I'm all for it, I don't care about reprints as long as it's cheaper.

Well, as expected, I just noticed my amazon pre-order disappeared as if it never happened, not even a fucken cancellation email from amazon. fucken assholes...

still waiting on a official response from the "appropriate department"

they keep saying someone is going to explain it so i keep writing back after not hearing anything for a day or two. ive also expressed how I'm not the only one this happened to.

so far ive been given a $10 and a $6 credit to my account for my "patience"

I've got an extra copy for sale if anyone is interested. Panicked when it was sold out and re-ordered from several places and ended up getting 2 copies. PM me an offer. I'm from Australia so consider shipping costs as well

[quote name='nosajj']I've got an extra copy for sale if anyone is interested. Panicked when it was sold out and re-ordered from several places and ended up getting 2 copies. PM me an offer. I'm from Australia so consider shipping costs as well[/QUOTE]

I very much want this set, but I'm not willing to pay above retail. And with quantities so limited, many who got them are flipping them. SMH.

If you look at the Amazon listing page and see the huge thread called "unavailable?", I started that.

Willing to give right around retail price. I got screwed on this twice so far.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I very much want this set, but I'm not willing to pay above retail. And with quantities so limited, many who got them are flipping them. SMH.

If you look at the Amazon listing page and see the huge thread called "unavailable?", I started that.

Willing to give right around retail price. I got screwed on this twice so far.[/QUOTE]

Shipping costs alone from Australia will be ridiculous.

[quote name='nosajj']I've got an extra copy for sale if anyone is interested. Panicked when it was sold out and re-ordered from several places and ended up getting 2 copies. PM me an offer. I'm from Australia so consider shipping costs as well[/QUOTE]

how about you name the price you have in your head instead of hoping that someone offers well above that?

because that's about the only reason anyone says "make an offer"

Just got an e-mail from Amazon talking about this order, saying that it was canceled as the item is no longer available from the distributor. They also gave me a $10 credit.

[quote name='Strell']Just got an e-mail from Amazon talking about this order, saying that it was canceled as the item is no longer available from the distributor. They also gave me a $10 credit.[/QUOTE]

Just received the same email with the $10 credit.

I also got the e-mail. Had to look up what "1616550392" was, although I figured it was The Sky.

Oh well, free $10. $10 to spend on something NOT PUBLISHED BY DARK HORSE. :roll:

I bought the original set from Japan about 8-10 years ago. Needless to say, I spent considerably more than the US retail price. Anyone on the fence about the less spiffy reprint should still go for it. The extras in the box are kinda neat (I would like to have seen the English bio book), but the three main books are absolutely worth the price if you are a fan.

I hate amazon for screwing me out of an awesome box set (which honestly is not completely their fault), but they earned a little bit of my respect for eventually taking the blame and compensate everyone when they could have just said: "hard luck, go read our policies", no other online company comes to mind that would have done this.

Are there anywhere taking pre-order for the reprint? I really DONT want to miss it again!

[quote name='takotchi']I doubt it's Amazon's fault. Dark Horse didn't tell anybody how limited it was going to be until it was almost released. It's their fault for not printing enough or giving retailers a realistic idea of their inventory so they could have cut-off pre-orders.

As for the lame re-print, fuck them. Not buying the gimped version after getting screwed the first time. I guess they expect us to pay $60-70 or whatever for a "consolation prize"? Give me a break! :roll:[/QUOTE]

That's true...I'm glad Amazon has at least gave most of you some kind of credit for the mix-up. I normally have nothing bad to say about Amazon!

I'm really glad I ordered mine through DCBS during the Previews ordering period. I don't know if that guaranteed me a copy, but I did receive mine and it looks great so far. Haven't really got into yet though.

It's a shame the reprint won't include everything but the 3 core books are there and I would def pick it up had I not got this one.

[quote name='joeyatog']That's true...I'm glad Amazon has at least gave most of you some kind of credit for the mix-up. I normally have nothing bad to say about Amazon!

I'm really glad I ordered mine through DCBS during the Previews ordering period. I don't know if that guaranteed me a copy, but I did receive mine and it looks great so far. Haven't really got into yet though.

It's a shame the reprint won't include everything but the 3 core books are there and I would def pick it up had I not got this one.[/QUOTE]

I would have sided with Amazon... except that a CS rep told me my item was being packed for shipment and would be sent out. And then they sent the delay email. And then they finally told us it was canceled. I don't think DH is completely innocent here but I think Amazon deserves more of the blame, since they probably knew how many copies they would received. I doubt DH would tell them that they were going to delivery more than they actually had.

As for the reprint, I'm still waiting to see the pricing. The items they took out are what made this package special and worth owning (the comic book shop owner has one, the silver acetate print is frame-worthy). Now it's just some artwork that you can already see online for free. Artbooks are nice simply for the convenience.

With the $10 credit, now I just need another $450 to buy one from their marketplace sellers.:roll:

bread's done
Back