Project X Zone $34 , INFINITY Starter Pack $65 , Xbox 12 Mon $42 @ Newegg

Newegg offered me a $15 refund when I called. I tried calling Bandai but they said they can't do shit.

$18? Meh. Wanted the bonuses :(

Should I keep my SMTIV pre order? EO4 came fine I think

Newegg offered me a $15 refund when I called. I tried calling Bandai but they said they can't do shit.

$18? Meh. Wanted the bonuses :(

Should I keep my SMTIV pre order? EO4 came fine I think
I think you got the better deal, the limited edition stuff definitely isn't worth the $20 you saved.

Yeah I called the day I got it (Tues?)

I pre ordered SMTIV yet again from Amazon. I'll return it if the Newegg copy doesn't come standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I got from Newegg:

Thank you for contacting Newegg.

We apologize for the inconvenience. May I please know where it shows the item should be "limited edition"? Generally, our stock moves so fast that we have the latest version or revision of everything. We do not guarantee revision numbers unless it is specifically noted on the description on the website.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please visit our FAQs page. If you still require any assistance, please feel free to reply directly to this email.
Give them Namco's press report.

Yeah I guess it wasn't worth it to save the $6. I'm not going to go through the hassle to order another copy off gamestop or bestbuy just to get the LE. Returning stuff to newegg is a pain and sometimes they take out a reboxing fee for no apparent reason. While I think the stuff that comes with the LE is pretty nice, it's nothing I will lose sleep over. Well you win some you lose some.
Someone said in another thread that the UPCs for the LE and standard edition are the same and that (at least via Best Buy) the purchase receipt doesn't mention anything about it being Limited Edition (just "Project X Zone"), so all you need to do is find an LE at some other store (in addition to GS and BBY, I've seen reports of Walmart carrying it, as well), then return the standard edition you bought from Newegg to that store later on with your receipt. That way you get the LE you should have gotten for the Newegg-discounted price and avoid having to deal with the Newegg return process.

Additionally, it appears that Gamestop and Best Buy retail locations might have more LEs than you'd expect sitting on the shelf, so I'd give it a shot if I were you.

i went to best buy yesterday and they told me they never carry LE of Project X Zone.
Because you called it a LE.

If you actually talk to them and call it a "Limited Edition" then they'll think of something more like, say, the Xillia or MG:R LEs, which had different SKUs and price points. So they won't have any clue what you're talking about and all you'll do is confuse them even more unless they know the exact item anyway (unlikely with something like this).

If you want to ask them about it, don't call it a LE. Call it a "first print edition" or something like that.

(Great, now I can't even quote properly. THANKS FOR BREAKING IT, CHEAPY.)

For those of you returning to newegg, are you emailing them first? or just going ahead with the rma?

Btw, ordered a copy on best buy(won't be delivered till next week). Haven't received my newegg yet(hoping ups has trouble finding my address for once), but if I end up getting the newegg one today, I'll have to consider whether I'll return to newegg or try a swap at bestbuy.

Someone said in another thread that the UPCs for the LE and standard edition are the same and that (at least via Best Buy) the purchase receipt doesn't mention anything about it being Limited Edition (just "Project X Zone"), so all you need to do is find an LE at some other store (in addition to GS and BBY, I've seen reports of Walmart carrying it, as well), then return the standard edition you bought from Newegg to that store later on with your receipt. That way you get the LE you should have gotten for the Newegg-discounted price and avoid having to deal with the Newegg return process.

Additionally, it appears that Gamestop and Best Buy retail locations might have more LEs than you'd expect sitting on the shelf, so I'd give it a shot if I were you.
This is what you want to do.

Because you called it a LE. If you actually talk to them and call it a "Limited Edition" then they'll think of something more like, say, the Xillia or MG:R LEs, which had different SKUs and price points. So they won't have any clue what you're talking about and all you'll do is confuse them even more unless they know the exact item anyway (unlikely with something like this). If you want to ask them about it, don't call it a LE. Call it a "first print edition" or something like that. (Great, now I can't even quote properly. THANKS FOR BREAKING IT, CHEAPY.)
I actually said Limited Edition. Not letters as 'L.E.' Maybe i'll try a different best buy.

For those of you returning to newegg, are you emailing them first? or just going ahead with the rma?
I started a normal RMA through the site, then called the next day asking for shipping credit. The representative sent me a free shipping UPS label without a problem, but YMMV on that of course.

Btw, ordered a copy on best buy(won't be delivered till next week). Haven't received my newegg yet(hoping ups has trouble finding my address for once), but if I end up getting the newegg one today, I'll have to consider whether I'll return to newegg or try a swap at bestbuy.
As I've said numerous times in many other threads with similar situations, instead of emailing, actually call them up and cuss out the representative. Things get done quicker.

As I've said numerous times in many other threads with similar situations, instead of emailing, actually call them up and cuss out the representative. Things get done quicker.
B-but I don't wanna cuss out the rep. D:

Btw, I'd like to hear if anyone was successful at returning the regular edition at bestbuy.

Someone on another forum pointed out something interesting.  This mysterious "standard edition" of PXZ appears to be the only game in the entire 3DS library that doesn't have the 3D warning on the front of the box.  Almost as if it was gutted from a full package and not meant to be sold on its own...   :whistle2:k

Btw, I'd like to hear if anyone was successful at returning the regular edition at bestbuy.
If the receipt says "Limited Edition" at best buy and someone tries to return the standard edition, it will depend on the sales clerk. In addition, if someone is unsuccessful in doing a return, the store could put out a notice to all the other employees saying to watch out for "fake" copies of the game.

Someone on another forum pointed out something interesting. This mysterious "standard edition" of PXZ appears to be the only game in the entire 3DS library that doesn't have the 3D warning on the front of the box. Almost as if it was gutted from a full package and not meant to be sold on its own... :whistle2:k
I'm sure everybody at Newegg is a JRPG fan and stole all the extras out of the boxes.

$15 refund without returning it? Sweet...
Now be a massive dick and exchange it out for a special edition at Wally World. :bow:

Someone on another forum pointed out something interesting. This mysterious "standard edition" of PXZ appears to be the only game in the entire 3DS library that doesn't have the 3D warning on the front of the box. Almost as if it was gutted from a full package and not meant to be sold on its own... :whistle2:k
That's what I was implying with one of my posts.

Got mine, it's standard, no surprise there. I can't even call a CSR yet because Newegg charged my credit card twice and shipped a second copy, except that one's shipping DHL for some reason and it's basically the slowest shipping service on the planet this side of a three-legged mule :bomb:

^^ What Busta said. There should not have been a risk. All signs pointed to a single pre-order, a single first printing. But I do take your point Newegg just shipped what they were given by Namco. But they, were they a company like Amazon, could have looked into it beforehand and made explicit what did or did not come with the purchase.
amazon makes tons of preorder errors as well. Amazon would have done the same thing

Well the problem is larger than Newegg. We did not know this could happen, because most of us legitimately had no idea that a "regular" version of the game existed. Every bit of press I've seen about PXZ indicated that North America was ONLY getting the Limited Edition. So ironically, people who did research on the game were worse off.

I'd agree with you 100% if the Limited Edition had been a separate SKU with a higher price point. Then the error would be on us for trying to exploit an obvious price mistake. Since Namco mislead people at worst, or delivered incomplete information at best, people are understandably upset at the resulting inconvenience.
I am sorry, but that is just bullshit. Newegg has for a LONG time been noted for lacking preorder bonuses and having issues exactly like this. Furthermore, both Amazon and Gamestop, but to a lesser degree Bestbuy (only images) mentioned it being a Limited Edition, though none of this appears on the Newegg page. None of this is new, surprising or shocking, so anyone outraged should simply learn a lesson from this. Also like a lot of the games Newegg has issues with, they're not listed as a retailer on the official site. Only Amazon / Gamestop are, which are "coincidentally" the only two that directly list the Limited Edition.

edit~

Seem there was a second listing some claim were the ones they actually preordered. While it's impossible to say what happened (they could have just copied another sites listing or used whatever they were told), the fact remains that Newegg has long since been associated with such problems.

Not to kill your conspiracy theory or anything, but the game inside of the LE box looks almost identical to the outer box. Doing a quick glance, the only things missing are the limited edition contents being shown and the limited edition on the front. Everything else looks exactly the same.

I am sorry, but that is just bullshit. Newegg has for a LONG time been noted for lacking preorder bonuses and having issues exactly like this. Furthermore, both Amazon and Gamestop, but to a lesser degree Bestbuy (only images) mentioned it being a Limited Edition, though none of this appears on the Newegg page. None of this is new, surprising or shocking, so anyone outraged should simply learn a lesson from this. Also like a lot of the games Newegg has issues with, they're not listed as a retailer on the official site. Only Amazon / Gamestop are, which are "coincidentally" the only two that directly list the Limited Edition.
This is really different from a pre-order bonus (which is almost always dependent on the retailer and I think every CAG knows that). What I'm saying is that people following the game were given the impression that Namco was releasing one version of the game in North America, period. They didn't know that a standard version even existed until it showed up on their doorstep.

FWIW I'm blaming the communication from Namco more than Newegg, as a retailer can't really help what gets shipped to them.

I'm waiting for Newegg chat right now and hopefully I can return it. I don't really want the game that much and only PO because it was the LE...

This is really different from a pre-order bonus (which is almost always dependent on the retailer and I think every CAG knows that). What I'm saying is that people following the game were given the impression that Namco was releasing one version of the game in North America, period. They didn't know that a standard version even existed until it showed up on their doorstep.

FWIW I'm blaming the communication from Namco more than Newegg, as a retailer can't really help what gets shipped to them.
It's really not, since as I already mentioned, Newegg is often not associated with getting either. People were given the impression that the first run would be limited, not all editions of the game till the end of time and thats it. It should have been conceivably plausible and people will probably start to consider that going forward.

I'm waiting for Newegg chat right now and hopefully I can return it. I don't really want the game that much and only PO because it was the LE...
If they give you a hard time by saying that you'll have to contact Namco, make sure you point out that it's not the job of the consumer to handle this and that the two companies have to handle it with themselves.

If they give you a hard time by saying that you'll have to contact Namco, make sure you point out that it's not the job of the consumer to handle this and that the two companies have to handle it with themselves.
Jeez... they played hardball like a mofo. I pointed out that there's only a LE and that all other retailers got the LE. They're investigating the issue and will get back to me.

Keep complaining people. Maybe they will get their heads out of their asses if we do.

Jeez... they played hardball like a mofo. I pointed out that there's only a LE and that all other retailers got the LE. They're investigating the issue and will get back to me.

Keep complaining people. Maybe they will get their heads out of their asses if we do.
At first I sent them an email regarding the issue and they sent me the same thing back to me "show us where to find the "limited edition" and we'll look into it".

I sent second email to them to prove that there is "limited edition" and they're willing to offer $10 refund.

So I lived chat with them and rep just issued me a $10.

I'm now have one standard edition from Newegg and one limited edition from Gamestop (and JPN limited edition from play-asia) :D

They know what's Limited Edition. Those guys work in the gaming area. I dont need to say "first print". The box says limited edition on it and its different packaging. They should know.
Yes, they work in the gaming area and are familiar with Limited Editions, which to them means "special collection with different SKU & price." Which is the point I made in the first reply. Like I said, try reading past the first sentence.
Newegg has for a LONG time been noted for lacking preorder bonuses and having issues exactly like this. Furthermore, both Amazon and Gamestop, but to a lesser degree Bestbuy (only images) mentioned it being a Limited Edition, though none of this appears on the Newegg page.

Really? I'd be interested in seeing other cases of Newegg skipping entire stock shipments before a game even releases. Not having pre-order bonuses doesn't count since this was supposed to be common among *all* of the copies, and is common among all the other retailers unlike 90% of P-OBs.

By the way, the Newegg page also still lists this game as RP, meaning they haven't bothered to update for *anything*. So not having the LE pictured doesn't mean as much when they don't even have the right ESRB shown.

Also like a lot of the games Newegg has issues with, they're not listed as a retailer on the official site. Only Amazon / Gamestop are, which are "coincidentally" the only two that directly list the Limited Edition.

But not the only two that actually have the LE. The list means nothing and you know it.

Not to kill your conspiracy theory or anything, but the game inside of the LE box looks almost identical to the outer box. Doing a quick glance, the only things missing are the limited edition contents being shown and the limited edition on the front. Everything else looks exactly the same.
You realize that also describes the "standard edition", right?

People were given the impression that the first run would be limited, not all editions of the game till the end of time and thats it.
Exactly, the first run. It's not like we're ordering from there a month later and expecting them to still have it. These are pre-orders and release day shipments. If that's not supposed to be "first run" then what is?

Oh, and saying something is "conceivably plausible" isn't even close to a proper defense, or else no CS issues ever would have a right to be fixed or even complained about, seeing as most of them would be considered even more "conceivably plausible" than this was.

(Sorry about posting in the quotes, btw...I would've divided them properly but the way the quotes work on 3.0 is completely alien to me)

Well i just contacted Newegg CS as i found a LE close by. Not only will they not budge on a credit, they wont provide me with a free shipping to RMA, and they said this item will require a restocking fee should i return it. 

First experience of newegg RMA. not happy. Forget my earlier post about how newegg isnt to blame. Restocking fee is madness. 

For those of you getting screwed over by Newegg, you can buy a limited edition from any of the other stores and then return the standard edition because it has the same UPC#.

For those of you getting screwed over by Newegg, you can buy a limited edition from any of the other stores and then return the standard edition because it has the same UPC#.
I don't normally have an issue with buy and return if it's the same exact item/edition, but in this case, it seems unfair to the other store. This is clearly Newegg's responsibility and doing the buying/return to another store basically lets them off the hook. I'm gonna fight this issue tooth and nail. I've given Newegg enough leeway with all the shit-tacular packaging they do.

Whilst i appreciate your reply. I am not willing to commit return fraud because of this. Its my fault for buying from newegg knowing this would probably happen. So ill eat this one, best case newegg offer a credit. Worst case, i cut down/stop purchasing there.

Newegg is such a hassale when trying to return or get an exchange etc.  The RMA and free shippin labels are processed once I've gotten reasonable CSRs (they take a while to reply).

I recall getting Code of Princess and the box (LE first print) was smashed to hell.  The fact that the outer box wasn't sealed (like Soul Hackers - also by Atlus) didn't really affect this as Newegg sent it in a bubble mailer.  For a standard ps3 game I have received them in mailers/envelopes and boxes with brown paper.

If anyone wants to sell there sealed standard edition to recoup some money shoot me a PM. I don't really care for the LE stuff on this one.

3 pages of this Newegg fiasco and not one bait-and-switch or slap in the face comment, I'm impressed.
I learned with Soul Sacrifice that Newegg will screw you on preorder bonuses. Don't ever trust them to include anything unless it's specifically spelled out, and even then get a screen cap of that.

The last bonus I recall Newegg sending out was the Persona Vita skin from pre-ordering P4 Golden.

The last bonus I recall Newegg sending out was the Persona Vita skin from pre-ordering P4 Golden.
Going off what I've heard and seen, it just seems that Atlus is that awesome. Most reports claim that Atlus games came with preorder bonuses, though just about everything else doesn't. This isn't that surprising, since I saw several copies of Catherine with the preorder bonus at Walmart (even a year after release) and the GOTY edition of Demon Souls came with the artbook again for a short period. It just seems Atlus goes above and beyond, over Newegg doing something right or being a useful reference point.

Going off what I've heard and seen, it just seems that Atlus is that awesome. Most reports claim that Atlus games came with preorder bonuses, though just about everything else doesn't. This isn't that surprising, since I saw several copies of Catherine with the preorder bonus at Walmart (even a year after release) and the GOTY edition of Demon Souls came with the artbook again for a short period. It just seems Atlus goes above and beyond, over Newegg doing something right or being a useful reference point.
I agree Atlus definitely makes the bonuses happen for all their first runs. I know Newegg just wants to move stock and doesn't care about pre-order items. Then you have Best Buy that gets the pre-order Persona skin and sold it on their website.

I agree Atlus definitely makes the bonuses happen for all their first runs. I know Newegg just wants to move stock and doesn't care about pre-order items. Then you have Best Buy that gets the pre-order Persona skin and sold it on their website.
See, that is a misconception, which I pointed out then, but no one cared. You see, BestBuy has listed preorder bonuses on SEVERAL occasions for X dollars, but it would drop to $0 if you buy the game. You can see this with Lego City on Amazon right now. Capcom has also done this, so don't act like BB is some evil company trying to double up on cash.

See, that is a misconception, which I pointed out then, but no one cared. You see, BestBuy has listed preorder bonuses on SEVERAL occasions for X dollars, but it would drop to $0 if you buy the game. You can see this with Lego City on Amazon right now. Capcom has also done this, so don't act like BB is some evil company trying to double up on cash.
I never really paid that much attention to most pre-order bonuses or if they are available for sale later. There are only a few games I buy at release. I see what you mean with that Amazon link when adding the figure you get it free. I was just stating that Best Buy sold the skin and don't think they are an evil company. If anything Best Buy is a company hurting for money and I still give them a lot of my business.

Got the standard also from Newegg.  I'll call their customer service in the morning I guess...this whole thing is pretty shady, anyone up for starting a petition? (lol well maybe not at that level)

Hey guys,

If you used the email or chat feature to try and get your refund, try again with a phone call.  When I called, I got a refund and a free UPS shipment back.  I have worked as an online customer service person for a good 15 years of my life, so I kind of know how to work the system.  Below I've outline how I got my full refund and free return shipping.  It may or may not work for you, but I thought I'd share my experience!

Just be polite and explain it like this:

"The First run of this video game was supposed to come with an art book and audio CD, however, when I received my shipment, the product was missing these features."  Then they'll ask you some questions about the product. 

Give them any info they want, then they'll tell you they're going to do an investigation and it will take 7 to 10 days.  Reply to them like this:  "I appricate you need time to find out, but as I said, this was a first shipment bonus and there is one available close to me. I need a resolution today as I wish to pick it up if newegg cannot make me whole, since it is such a limited run." 

If they try and persuade you to wait after you explain the above, or if they try to charge you a restocking fee or for reshipping, ask for a supervisor(twice) then tell the supervisor all the above and go on to this: "The way I found out about your discount is through a website called 'Cheapassgamer' and there is a thread speaking about how many people did not get(and were upset) about not getting the first run version.  I will share my experiences with them if you cannot help me out."

If they're still stubborn, here's the nuclear option that no phone rep wants to hear.  "If you can't help me, I'm sure my credit card company will.  I will be issuing a chargeback and a BBB complaint at the end of this phone call."

Hey guys,

If you used the email or chat feature to try and get your refund, try again with a phone call. When I called, I got a refund and a free UPS shipment back. I have worked as an online customer service person for a good 15 years of my life, so I kind of know how to work the system. Below I've outline how I got my full refund and free return shipping. It may or may not work for you, but I thought I'd share my experience!

"The First run of this video game was supposed to come with an art book and audio CD, however, when I received my shipment, the product was missing these features." Then they'll ask you some questions about the product.

Give them any info they want, then they'll tell you they're going to do an investigation and it will take 7 to 10 days. Reply to them like this: "I appricate you need time to find out, but as I said, this was a first shipment bonus and there is one available close to me. I need a resolution today as I wish to pick it up if newegg cannot make me whole, since it is such a limited run."

If they try and persuade you to wait after you explain the above, or if they try to charge you a restocking fee or for reshipping, ask for a supervisor(twice) then tell the supervisor all the above and go on to this: "The way I found out about your discount is through a website called 'Cheapassgamer' and there is a thread speaking about how many people did not get(and were upset) about not getting the first run version. I will share my experiences with them if you cannot help me out."

If they're still stubborn, here's the nuclear option that no phone rep wants to hear. "If you can't help me, I'm sure my credit card company will. I will be issuing a chargeback and a BBB complaint at the end of this phone call."

****************************************************************************************************************************

I'm also working at call center. For odd reason I have no problem getting my refund with them. I just provided the detail information and kindly ask them if they can issue some refund to compensate this issue. The representative was nice and issued me $10 (other guy said he got $15). So far I have no problem with Newegg at this point. I don't even bullshit with them to go back and forth.

Hey guys,

If you used the email or chat feature to try and get your refund, try again with a phone call. When I called, I got a refund and a free UPS shipment back. I have worked as an online customer service person for a good 15 years of my life, so I kind of know how to work the system. Below I've outline how I got my full refund and free return shipping. It may or may not work for you, but I thought I'd share my experience!

"The First run of this video game was supposed to come with an art book and audio CD, however, when I received my shipment, the product was missing these features." Then they'll ask you some questions about the product.

Give them any info they want, then they'll tell you they're going to do an investigation and it will take 7 to 10 days. Reply to them like this: "I appricate you need time to find out, but as I said, this was a first shipment bonus and there is one available close to me. I need a resolution today as I wish to pick it up if newegg cannot make me whole, since it is such a limited run."

If they try and persuade you to wait after you explain the above, or if they try to charge you a restocking fee or for reshipping, ask for a supervisor(twice) then tell the supervisor all the above and go on to this: "The way I found out about your discount is through a website called 'Cheapassgamer' and there is a thread speaking about how many people did not get(and were upset) about not getting the first run version. I will share my experiences with them if you cannot help me out."

If they're still stubborn, here's the nuclear option that no phone rep wants to hear. "If you can't help me, I'm sure my credit card company will. I will be issuing a chargeback and a BBB complaint at the end of this phone call."
I just called newegg customer service and told them about the dilemma and they offered me a $25 dollar gift card or $10 refund. So make sure to tell them that your game was suppose to come with the limited edition items, also to tell them to search "project x zone limited edtion upgrade" and then ask for compensation refund for the issue. I took the $25 gift card :bouncy:

Just called newegg, got restocking fee waived and free UPS return label.  No problems, was very easy.  I recommend calling, I think newegg's phone customer support is pretty good, and quick, to be honest...

Now to see if I can find it at a gamestop or not...maybe I'll end up keeping it if I can't.  But that's the next step.

bread's done
Back