PS3 Gunmetal Grey Metal Gear Solid 4 Kojima Bundle $400 Pre-order at Amazon

capttylor34

CAGiversary!
[img-r=4668]3032[/img-r]Update: Price now $400

Remember those $600+ MGS4 Limited Edition Bundles that were only sold by the Konami Store? Amazon now has pre-orders available for $450 $400 shipped with a Nov 4th ship date. The bundle includes:
  • Gun Metal Gray PS3 with a 40GB Hard Drive (No BC)
  • Gray DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (the game) which includes Metal Gear Online
  • The official "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots CD Soundtrack" including 16 never-before-released tracks by Harry Gregson-Williams (Shrek, Armageddon, The Rock), Nobuko Toda, and Ennio Morricone.
  • Over two hours of additional content "Hideo Kojima's Gene" a behind-the-scenes vision of Hideo Kojima's production team and the game as well as "The Making of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots" documentary
[img-l=4668]3033[/img-l] [img-l=4668]3034[/img-l]

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, if I could swap my 80GB PS3 with the limited BC out 1:1 with this or sell it for $400 so I wasn't losing any money I think I'd do it in a second, but I can't justify a second PS3.

$400 for the MGS PS3 LE bundle. Wow. I'm speechless. I feel sorry for the folks who bought it directly from Konami for $600 + shipping.

It's very tempting. It's identical to the obsolete 40GB PS3 but in LE casing, right? Is it using the 65nm CELL?

[quote name='ricoraney']I gotta agree with those who don't give a damn about BC. Try to look at it like this. The PS3 will be used for your PS3 games and more than likely your Blu-ray movies. Why add extra wear and tear to it by playing these PS2 and possibly PS1 games as well on the system. I own a MGS4 80gb system and I could care less about the BC. I could see if people would mention the fact that they dumbed it down by sealing the front flap and cutting back on the USB ports and SD slots. Also keep in mind that the PS2 is still very much alive and kicking. And furthermore it could be outselling the PS3 still. So why would Sony shoot themselves in the foot(even more) by making their top selling system obselete with BC. Think about it.[/quote]

The games coming out on the PS2 are slowing down to a mere trickle unless you are interested in games that have a Z as the last letter in the title (horsez, bratz, babyz). While the PS2 game base is still huge and is still immensely popular/profitable for sony, the lack of BC is a hurdle for a not an insignificant number of people who might want to make the switch to the PS3.

The point of BC is to keep your consumers from the last generation in your hardware for the next generation. If consumers don't have a BC option, then they have the choice buying any next gen system, since either choice means their previous games purchases are both equally worthless in that regard. With BC, the choice can be influenced based on past purchases (ie, if I buy a 360 what I am going to do with my PS2 games) and keeps some of those buyers in the Sony side of town. The PS3 isn't competing against the PS2 in hardware sales...they are in two different market segments due to the large price difference between the two...I don't think anyone is walking into a store and debating about if they are going to buy a PS2 or PS3. And BC PS3 also means consumers will also still buy PS2 games, while a non-BC PS3 means they may not. BC also means people can cash in their old hardware without losing any their old games, which can help defray the costs of moving up to the next generation...lack of BC means people hold on to their hardware and possibly delay moving up at all.

The PS3 was my first "playstation" system, and one of the most compelling reasons for the purchase was the fact that I could play PS2 games. There were a lot of titles that I missed that I really wanted to go back and play, and I wasn't willing to pick up a separate machine (PS2) to play these games. My system is in my family room and I don't want it looking like a college dorm room now that I'm older.

In fact, for the last 4 months all I've played on my 60GB PS3 are PS2 games (GOW 1, GOW 2, Persona 3).

And finally, it's far easier to pick up cheap PS2 kids titles than it is PS3 kids titles... so my kids are happy as they can play on the system.

If I had waited and BC wasn't available I probably would never have purchased a PS3 and just been happy with my 360 & Wii. However since BC was an option, I now have a collection of over 20 PS3 titles. In fact, I likely would have paid up to $100 more on the system to have full hardware BC available.

I'm not sure that a 36yo is in their demo, but I would argue that it should be.

BC was a big decision in my PS3 purchase. I still have about two dozen PS2 titles and around a dozen PS1 titles. All of these are games that I an extremely found of and will break out at least once every few months. These are not just things I hang onto for the sake of holding onto them. All of the games I knew I would not play again went to eBay or were traded to GS.

Anyway, I had zero intention of paying $500 or $600 for a gaming system. But when GS first ran the upgrade promotion ($100 credit for a PS2, extra controller, and memory card), I got pulled in. I was able to save money, but still have access to my older games. If the system didn't have BC, I would not have gotten it.

[quote name='eau']$400 for the MGS PS3 LE bundle. Wow. I'm speechless. I feel sorry for the folks who bought it directly from Konami for $600 + shipping.

It's very tempting. It's identical to the obsolete 40GB PS3 but in LE casing, right? Is it using the 65nm CELL?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is 65nm, at least mine that I freakin ordered from Konami. Never trusting them again and soured me completely from the PS brand althogheter. It is one thing to drop the price from old stock, but this "seems" to be new stock produced. How the heck can they not sell 10,000 units in the US/Canada for MGS4 LE bundle? Even when they sold them at launch events and dropped the price at Comicon.

Yeah, I don't see this as new stock. Sony is obviously pushing larger hard drives, because they want you downloading content and movies, so they wouldn't want more 40GB models floating around on the market. So, this really shouldn't put anyone off from Sony. This was simply Konami overestimating the demand for overpriced limited consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fatez']i doubt it's a new stock... if it was, the hdd would probably be 80gb by now. :x[/QUOTE]

I agree. They just severely overestimated the demand for this bundle given it's the 40G platform w/a dual shock. I figure there was only a few thousand left and Konami didn't know what to do with them so off to Amazon at a huge discount. If I hadn't bought the 80G MGS bundle already, I would have grabbed this for sure. It was just a matter of time because I wanted BluRay capability.

I was one of the fortunate ones who go theirs for "free". Ended up with the 80G MGS bundle because I also wanted BC, SACD, card reader(s) and the extra USB ports. Still debating what to do with this LE.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, I don't see this as new stock. Sony is obviously pushing larger hard drives, because they want you downloading content and movies, so they wouldn't want more 40GB models floating around on the market. So, this really shouldn't put anyone off from Sony. This was simply Capcom overestimating the demand for overpriced limited consoles.[/quote]
You mean Konami. Honest mistake, though.

[quote name='bob330i']I was one of the fortunate ones who go theirs for "free". Ended up with the 80G MGS bundle because I also wanted BC, SACD, card reader(s) and the extra USB ports. Still debating what to do with this LE.[/quote]
What do you mean you got it for free? They shipped it but didn't charge you? Wouldn't they demand it back?

Lucky you :)

So tempting now but I already own MGS4 from that Meijer slip-up many months back ($39.99 for MGS4). I'm gonna pass. I really want a white PS3 to match my white 360 and PS2 (and eventually maybe if they make more 'core' games, my Wii). I'll wait for them to get colorific next year or whatever.

Question. Does this system have the 65nm chips? I want to jump on this but I would use a PS3 just as much (if not more) for blu-ray movies than I would games and I'd like to make sure I'm getting quieter, cooler running system. Thanks.

[quote name='eau']What do you mean you got it for free? They shipped it but didn't charge you? Wouldn't they demand it back?

Lucky you :)[/QUOTE]

Yep, cancelled a week before and it still ended up on my doorstep. Nothing charged. I still have my cancellation email just in case.

[quote name='bob330i']Yep, cancelled a week before and it still ended up on my doorstep. Nothing charged. I still have my cancellation email just in case.[/QUOTE]

Do you consider that right?

[quote name='mva5580']Question. Does this system have the 65nm chips? I want to jump on this but I would use a PS3 just as much (if not more) for blu-ray movies than I would games and I'd like to make sure I'm getting quieter, cooler running system. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I believe so. It runs quieter than the 60GB launch PS3 I had.

[quote name='Jon Bon']Do you consider that right?[/QUOTE]

Probably debatable. However, I'm not about to open up that can of worms. I sent them an email right after I got the PS3 but they didn't ever reply. It's still in the original packing box, haven't touched it at all since.

Quick question for those who already own the MGS4 LE PS3 and opened them >> Is the system as likely prone to scratches or noticeable fingerprints/dust build-up like the glossy black original? Plus, does the MSG4 game contain a "Not for Resale" label on the cover? Thanks in advance....very tempted to replace my old PS3 model.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Quick question for those who already own the MGS4 LE PS3 and opened them >> Is the system as likely prone to scratches or noticeable fingerprints/dust build-up like the glossy black original? Plus, does the MSG4 game contain a "Not for Resale" label on the cover? Thanks in advance....very tempted to replace my old PS3 model.[/QUOTE]

No fingerprints.

Yes, Not for Resale.

[quote name='Jon Bon']Do you consider that right?[/QUOTE]

He said he contacted them, and they didn't respond.

Reads like fair game to me.

I like the look of this bundle, but I already have an original "20 GB" PS3, which has been fantastic. I wouldn't trade it for this.

"Limited Edition" my a**.

Given Konami's fraudulant representations about the scarcity and rarity of this bundle, mistakenly sending 1000 units to people who cancelled their orders is the least of their problems.

[quote name='bob330i']Probably debatable. However, I'm not about to open up that can of worms. I sent them an email right after I got the PS3 but they didn't ever reply. It's still in the original packing box, haven't touched it at all since.[/quote]

Bob:

Enjoy the PS3 it is yours. Not only can they not ask for it back, they do not want them back.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']Just to emphasize, not for resale is on all the LE versions of MGS4[/QUOTE]

I'm looking at my copy of MGS4 LE that I purchased at Gamestop and it does NOT have "Not for Resale" on it. The LE version included in the Gunmetal PS3 package is a variant (assuming that it does have a NFR label).

If I missed it on my copy let me know where it is and I'll check again.

-frap

[quote name='bob330i']Probably debatable. However, I'm not about to open up that can of worms. I sent them an email right after I got the PS3 but they didn't ever reply. It's still in the original packing box, haven't touched it at all since.[/quote]

You could always call them, up to you.

[quote name='frap']I'm looking at my copy of MGS4 LE that I purchased at Gamestop and it does NOT have "Not for Resale" on it. The LE version included in the Gunmetal PS3 package is a variant (assuming that it does have a NFR label).

-frap[/quote]
The actual game inside the LE case should have a NFR label.

[quote name='frap']I'm looking at my copy of MGS4 LE that I purchased at Gamestop and it does NOT have "Not for Resale" on it. The LE version included in the Gunmetal PS3 package is a variant (assuming that it does have a NFR label).

-frap[/quote]

As eau said, the NFR label is on the actual game, not the outer case

[quote name='dmes65']If anyone wants to trade this one for a 60 gb let me know.[/quote]

If it was a new one, I'd take you up on that offer :p
The main reason I'm willing to own a 40gb is due to the fact that nobody else has owned/used it lol

Way to screw the early adopters (loyal fans) Konami. They should at least offer some sort of relief to those that bought into their "L.E." BS at $670 (inc. tax). At least it'll be hard for Konami to sell anything L.E. in the future.... what a fiasco!

I know, I remember them saying this is a super ultra limited edition console. Now look amazon is selling it with free shipping and no tax way below what they were selling at. What a joke, I thought this was going to be as limited has MGS3 LE. NEVER AGAIN!

[quote name='BigRedWhat']"Limited Edition" my a**.

Given Konami's fraudulant representations about the scarcity and rarity of this bundle, mistakenly sending 1000 units to people who cancelled their orders is the least of their problems.[/quote]

i don't believe Konami lied about this being a rare item...i think production numbers were reasonably low. Instead, I think their mistake was in assuming that MGS fans were crazy enough to drop 670 on that bundle. If the LE bundle was 400 or even 450 on release date, hell, i'm sure they would have sold out in an instant.

now, excitement for mgs4 has faded away, and unfortunately for Konami, most diehard fans already bought another SKU to play mgs4. nobody needs this shit anymore (i still do, though...i'm a sucker for ugly LEs)

[quote name='blaked569']i don't believe Konami lied about this being a rare item...i think production numbers were reasonably low. Instead, I think their mistake was in assuming that MGS fans were crazy enough to drop 670 on that bundle. If the LE bundle was 400 or even 450 on release date, hell, i'm sure they would have sold out in an instant.

now, excitement for mgs4 has faded away, and unfortunately for Konami, most diehard fans already bought another SKU to play mgs4. nobody needs this shit anymore (i still do, though...i'm a sucker for ugly LEs)[/quote]

So when they said they "sold out" of the original 10,000 they were telling the truth? This is an entirely new production line. If I paid for my LE PS3 I would be pissed. Check out their website. Notice how they announce that they are no longer selling anything directly to the consumer.

[quote name='5pitFire']Way to screw the early adopters (loyal fans) Konami. They should at least offer some sort of relief to those that bought into their "L.E." BS at $670 (inc. tax). At least it'll be hard for Konami to sell anything L.E. in the future.... what a fiasco![/quote]

Well, it's expected with the way a new edition of every MGS game gets released. But I have to admit, I didn't believe MGS3S: LE was limited, but it was since you could only get it via preordering.

[quote name='n2Deepeth']Well, it's expected with the way a new edition of every MGS game gets released. But I have to admit, I didn't believe MGS3S: LE was limited, but it was since you could only get it via preordering.[/QUOTE]

Or, a buyer could not get one through preordering because they didn't supply enough copies to EB/GS, which meant a lot of people got shafted in the process.

Konami messes up their promotions pretty frequently.

[quote name='5pitFire']Way to screw the early adopters (loyal fans) Konami. They should at least offer some sort of relief to those that bought into their "L.E." BS at $670 (inc. tax). At least it'll be hard for Konami to sell anything L.E. in the future.... what a fiasco![/QUOTE]

Yup. I for one will not buy stuff from Konami more. If there is a great game coming out, I'm renting it out of spite. I will not support Konami monetary anymore. I can't imagine them being unable to sell 10,000 units with all the places they sold this LE at.

This is a slap in the face for those that purchased it directly from Konami at a premium.

Now the gunmetal bundle is eligible for the BR promotion. The following pops up on the page.
Save Money With Our Limited Blu-ray and PS3 Offers:
For a limited time only, save $100 when you buy a Blu-ray Player and four select Blu-ray Discs. Also buy three select Blu-ray discs and get a PS3 Blu-ray remote free, check out the great titles.
Seems like 2 promos in one:

Buy the gunmetal + 4 select discs = $100 off.
Buy 3 select discs (could be the same 3 discs from the 4 bought above???) = free BR remote.

[quote name='eau']Now the gunmetal bundle is eligible for the BR promotion. The following pops up on the page.

Buy 3 select discs (could be the same 3 discs from the 4 bought above???) = free BR remote.[/quote]

It might have the deal on the page but when you go to check out the $100 promo does not work with the Kojima bundle.

Also you can only use 1 of the promos at a time not both.

[quote name='eau']Now the gunmetal bundle is eligible for the BR promotion. The following pops up on the page.

Buy 3 select discs (could be the same 3 discs from the 4 bought above???) = free BR remote.[/QUOTE]

What the guy above me said about it.

"We're sorry, but the promotional code you entered cannot be applied to this purchase. Please refer to your promotional coupon for information about item or store restrictions."

You can only do the 3 select discs + BR remote. The cheapest BRs with the remote is approximately $455. I wouldn't do it because the BRs will be way cheaper in the future.

[quote name='eau']
Buy 3 select discs (could be the same 3 discs from the 4 bought above???) = free BR remote.[/quote]

This offer is stand alone...You don't need to buy a PS3 at all to get this deal.
you just need to buy 3 of the specified blu rays and the remote

For a limited time, you can buy three Warner Blu-ray discs from the below list and get a PS3 Blu-ray remote free when you add all four to your Shopping Cart and enter the claim code AMAZONPS. Rules and restrictions apply

[quote name='dmes65']If anyone wants to trade this one for a 60 gb let me know.[/quote]

If it's a NIB 60 gb I'm up for it. Hell I have a few of these just lying around.

I canceled my order today, think I'm going to get the T-mobile G1 instead
I have enough money to purchase both, but I think I'm just gonna hold off on another Playstation 3 until next year
Now I'll have money to pick up Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Left 4 Dead, and other PC games when this quarter of college is over lol

[quote name='5pitFire']Way to screw the early adopters (loyal fans) Konami. They should at least offer some sort of relief to those that bought into their "L.E." BS at $670 (inc. tax). At least it'll be hard for Konami to sell anything L.E. in the future.... what a fiasco![/quote]

early adopters always pay the premium price. if it was "worth" 600 to you then, nothing has changed. if you're bitter, thats understandable, but blaming Konami for your willingness to buy something you thought was going to, for some reason, appreciate in value, is no fault of anyone else.

i made a few posts in the old thread warning people not to read too much into the limited aspect. I was quickly hushed most probably by people just like you. now it bites you in the ass and you dont want to hear it? sorry, no sympathy.

the funny thing is i dont get what you're actually upset about. This isnt a whole lot better than buying the game and a 40gb PS3 seperate which you knew you had the option of doing back when the bundle was on konami.com for 599+shipping and tax at the start of this joke. You paid the premium price anyway for what? A different colored shell? Now hopefully you are wiser.

bread's done
Back