PS3 scheduled for $100 price drop to $499.99 after E3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='alongx']$499 won't be a tremendous boost to the PS3. PS3's weren't exactly flying off the shelves when there was a 20gb model - the fact that the 20gb sold relatively poorly is why it was dropped in the first place.[/quote]To be fair, I think Sony did a pretty good job of killing the 20GB intentionally. It was just there to have a cheaper alternative and they could say it was only $499.

What I want to know is, is the PS3s being sold in America the ones that still use the PS2 hardware for backwards compatibility, or have they switched over completely to the emulation approach used in Europe?

If it's still the hardware-version, then I might pick one up for this. If they've already switched over, I can wait. (The only game PS3 has out right now that I care about is Ninja Gaiden Sigma. And I have a wicked backlog on my PS2) After all, what price did the PS2 start out at initially?

[quote name='orimental']Meh. I'll pass. Call me when it's $300 and called PSthree. I'd rather see a major redesign making it more sleek and less like a grill. Anybody remember Jaren Goh's concept PS3? That was damn hot.

http://www.tranism.com/weblog/archives/2006/03/ps3_shoulda_bee.html[/QUOTE]Looks too much like a freaking Mac.
[quote name='LinkinPrime']:roll:

Not everyone is having the bad luck that the press is shelling out. Its obvious that people with problems will complain and that word of mouth gets out more and more. MS has rectified the situation by extending their warranty to 3 years, and I'm sure that they are working on the issues as we speak. I've had one since launch day, no problems what so ever, I've enjoyed this system more than any other system I ever owned.[/QUOTE]Not just because of that, PS3 had HDMI first, blu-ray, and WiFi (not having to buy an external adapter), supported tons of memory formats (don't have to buy expensive memory cards to transfer or back-up saves).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Looks too much like a freaking Mac.
Not just because of that, PS3 had HDMI first, blu-ray, and WiFi (not having to buy an external adapter), supported tons of memory formats (don't have to buy expensive memory cards to transfer or back-up saves).[/quote]

Yeah, but thats just for a Blu-Ray player. Where's the great line up of games? The X360 has an extensive library of big seller hits, most of which are exclusive. Anyways...I know its not the right thread to discuss this, sorry for taking up space...carry on.

Let's see, 106 posts... how many of them are "Too expensive for me."

Who gives a crap if you still think it's too expensive. Why in the hell do you feel the need to post something useless like that? Do you think Sony is reading the board thinking, "Oh, no... it's still not enough for gamer XXX to buy it."

Jebus.....

It's $20 more than the 360 Elite. I give them credit for making a pricing move at this point.

[quote name='psunami']

Jebus.....

It's $20 more than the 360 Elite. I give them credit for making a pricing move at this point.[/QUOTE]
Have your read any Elite threads? In all the Elite threads it is about the same % stating that the Elite is "Too expensive."

You don't thinks MS isn't going to have a price drop now? I see MS giving the Elite an $80 - $100 price drop, Premium $100 price cut and the core a $50- $100 price cut. MS are sheep on price cuts. Look at the last generation every time PS2 had a price cut the Xbox followed suit in less then a week.

That is if this isn't just a CC sale.

Considering that the PS3 is dead last in the console wars, that $500 is still too much for mass adoption, that are only a few worthwhile games, that there is no rumble right now, that Fox and Disney have held back many releases on a format that they've pledged exclusivity to, I'd say that the $500 buy-in is still hardly justified.

[quote name='psunami']Let's see, 106 posts... how many of them are "Too expensive for me."

Who gives a crap if you still think it's too expensive. Why in the hell do you feel the need to post something useless like that? Do you think Sony is reading the board thinking, "Oh, no... it's still not enough for gamer XXX to buy it."

Jebus.....

It's $20 more than the 360 Elite. I give them credit for making a pricing move at this point.[/quote]

One more just for you. Still too expensive for me.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']One more just for you. Still too expensive for me.[/QUOTE]

Nah... your opinion was pretty clear from the other post that you had above... so your two posts cancel each other out and you now think it's priced correctly.

[quote name='spoo']

You don't thinks MS isn't going to have a price drop now? I see MS giving the Elite an $80 - $100 price drop, Premium $100 price cut and the core a $50- $100 price cut. MS are sheep on price cuts. Look at the last generation every time PS2 had a price cut the Xbox followed suit in less then a week.

[/quote]

That was different, the PS2 was outselling the Xbox then. They had to keep competitive just from the pricing stand point. Now they really don't. They're outselling them by a decent amount right now. I'd bet they'll take a wait and see until later in the year. Why drop the price when you know more people will buy it at this price when Halo 3 comes out?

That is if this isn't just a CC sale.

It's been confirmed to be a retailer price drop. Not just a one time sale.

[quote name='alongx']It's been what? 9 months since launch? For not crapping out in under a year, I wouldn't go lauding the PS3's build quality. Then again, I've heard more first hand about broken PS2s back in the day (including mine, fuckin' DREs) than I have heard first hand about broken 360s.[/quote]
Considering how my friend's Xbox stopped reading DVD's within three months and my other friend had to spend 180$ to get his fixed afterwards, can't say I agree with your statement.

And I agree, DMK, you are wrong. NO ONE wants to buy the Wii for the games. Heck, 90% of people I sell a wii to ask me "what games are good?" if they are buying it for the games, why are they asking which ones are good? The only reason they want to buy it is to bowl with the wii mote.

And I feel like my PS3 is a great value seeing how it plays CD's, upscales dvd's (and one of the best too), Plays Blu-ray, plays video games, can download online trailers, games and add-ons for free, play games for free, and has a built in Wireless. And, being able to savea nd transfer things with any standard USB drive or memory card is nice as well.

Anyways, this news isn't that shocking, and hopefully this will cause a chain reaction of good events for them.

oh well. I bought mine about a month ago and I guess I could've waited for this price drop. Hope this means a few people jump aboard and hop off the sony hate wagon.

I wonder if Microsoft will have a response other than the extension of the XBox warranty to 3 years. Also, I bought the two-year extended warranty as soon as I got my 360 because I bought it on EBay at launch and got no retail receipt. That warranty started in April 06 and was supposed to go to April 08. When does my warranty run out now?

$100 more off and I'll have one. Even at $500 I still don't see a reason why I "must" have it now, especially with the 360's upcoming line-up.

Like I said, $400 and I will bite.

Still nice to see they are dropping the price quick though. Now all we have to do is show them we won't buy it for $500 and by Xmas....BAM! $399.99. :D

****Price break CONFIRMED**** because I said so. My little brother works at Best Buy and he just got their new box of their ads for the next two weeks (comes on thursdays truck) and they also have the SAME DEAL!

GOBBLE up your PS3's!

Edit : Apparently Best Buy is being nazi's about this being leaked but my little bro is trying to get me the ad so I can scan it :D

I don't get why everyone is interested now, when it launched at $500.

Are the added extras of the 60GB enough to push you over the edge?

[quote name='zewone']I don't get why everyone is interested now, when it launched at $500.

Are the added extras of the 60GB enough to push you over the edge?[/quote]

Cos I beat the $600 price tag, I can buy in confidence now knowing it won't drop for a while.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-haaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I think this is a win-win situation for everyone because it will force Microsoft to drop the price of the xbox 360. I cant see the elite being $480 for a long time, considering that you can get a ps3 with a blu-ray player for only $20 more...

Maybe Microsoft might do a combo deal which includes a HD-DVD player? Maybe a nice combo of $529.99 for a premium xbox 360 plus the HD-DVD drive? Maybe... something will happen... Microsoft will not stay behind...

[quote name='Gentlegamer']Now I wonder how long it will be until a new Xbox 360 price structure is announced . . .[/quote]

My guess is Tuesday's press conference just like during the PS2/Xbox days.

[quote name='zewone']I don't get why everyone is interested now, when it launched at $500.

Are the added extras of the 60GB enough to push you over the edge?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm baffled as to why as well.

I think when it hits $400 it would be more tempting since it would match It's competition. Then again the blu-ray does nothing for me as I don't own a HDTV. It's all about the games, and the 360 has plenty more to go around (for now).

Microsoft better follow suit. Otherwise, I may end up getting a PS3. Most of the good X360 games come out on PC anyways.

Microsoft won't respond to this pricedrop if they don't have to. If this pricedrop doesn't effect PS3 sales significantly, than MS will probably keep the $400 price tag even though 360 sales are starting to slow down. In the warranty press release, MS mentions how much it is costing them and I think (well, from their view) that dropping the price wouldn't exactly help the money situation.

And if there isn't a significant increase in sales, they will probably do a $499 + game bundle (by Jan. probably). I can't see them dropping the price again so quickly.

edit: And by "they" in the second paragraph, I mean Sony. Sorry if it confused anyone.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Yeah I'm baffled as to why as well.

I think when it hits $400 it would be more tempting since it would match It's competition. Then again the blu-ray does nothing for me as I don't own a HDTV. It's all about the games, and the 360 has plenty more to go around (for now).[/quote]

For me the price is finally right. I do have a 1080p TV and want a Blu-Ray player to go with my HD-DVD, but I am also looking forward to some of the PS3 releases this year so the timing is right as well. I got my 360 at launch so the point that the 360 has more games is does not apply to me. To me 599 was too much, and 499 was my limit. I did not want the lesser of the two PS3's so I decided to wait. Now with the price drop and the free 5 movies it's time for me to pull the trigger.

I'm with Foolman, I think that Microsoft may wait to drop their price. They have bragging rights that their console launched first and has not dropped in value. They could play the "investment" card...

...Maybe a little closer to the holiday season

[quote name='Foolman']Microsoft won't respond to this pricedrop if they don't have to. If this pricedrop doesn't effect PS3 sales significantly, than MS will probably keep the $400 price tag even though 360 sales are starting to slow down. In the warranty press release, MS mentions how much it is costing them and I think (well, from their view) that dropping the price wouldn't exactly help the money situation.

And if there isn't a significant increase in sales, they will probably do a $499 + game bundle (by Jan. probably). I can't see them dropping the price again so quickly.[/QUOTE]

I would rather them announce a model made out of parts that work. then I'd trade my current one for the corrected model. pretty sad.

anyway, i agree, they won't counter right away at E3. they would need to alter their entire business plan and projections to make sure the price drop would work. I don't think that happens in a week, but I could be wrong...

well, it's nice to see people deciding to buy the PS3. after months of abuse, you guys are not welcome in the PS3 forum. Get out :p

[quote name='Apossum']I would rather them announce a model made out of parts that work. then I'd trade my current one for the corrected model. pretty sad.

anyway, i agree, they won't counter right away at E3. they would need to alter their entire business plan and projections to make sure the price drop would work. I don't think that happens in a week, but I could be wrong...

well, it's nice to see people deciding to buy the PS3. after months of abuse, you guys are not welcome in the PS3 forum. Get out :p[/quote]
I would say MS already knew this was going to happen and has already run the numbers as well. Your last line cracked me up though. :applause:

Microsoft has to do something, I mean come on, who in their right mind would buy an elite over a ps3?

$20 more will give you a nice blu-ray player!!! (plus dont forget the 5 free blu-ray movies)

I am not being sarcastic, I really mean this!!

I can see people waiting to get their ps3 on amazon.com or buy.com (taxes are a good $40 or so...)

Hey Sony, haven't your PR people been saying for months that these have been flying off of shelves and if someone could find one in a store, you would give them money.

Bahahahahahah

Desperation move.

I enjoy it. Maybe it will humble them so their PR people are so stupid next time.

I hope this Tomato can tanks so the next Playstation is actually worth while like the PS2 was.

Xbox 360 lasted at it's price point for how long? Even with it breaking left and right. PS3 lasted what, 8-9 months and got rid of their 20GB model? lol

I don't think this drop will mean much in the long run. It still is the most expensive system and like Wombat has mentioned before, HD DVD and Blu-Ray do not have mass appeal and they won't because they don't make life easier.

Xbox 360 drop won't come until after Halo 3. They know it's a system seller so they might as well make a good profit off of the systems since they are in the hole so much. I predict a price drop 3 weeks before Christmas.

Microsoft probably won't make an official counter-move because of several reasons: 1) the recent warranty increase, 2) the release of Halo in 2 months should move systems well enough, and 3) the fact that their games division is bleeding money. Maybe after the first of the year, but I don't see it happening now. The only way to force them into a price drop would be if the PS3 started selling phenomenally well and 360 sales plummeted.

I hope the $100 price drop for Sony is true!!!

$100 off??? I'm there. VF5, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Resistance, and a ton of great blu ray titles on my HDTV...yeah...I'm there... Plus 5 freee blu-ray movies?! That's good enough for me to jump!

If Sony still had the 20 GB model and started selling it for $400, I would consider buying one if Sony had a great E3, since I don't need the media card reader, the Wi-fi, and I would just buy a bigger hard drive. $500 is still too much for me.

[quote name='indy2029']$100 off??? I'm there. VF5, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Resistance, and a ton of great blu ray titles on my HDTV...yeah...I'm there... Plus 5 freee blu-ray movies?! That's good enough for me to jump![/QUOTE]

there are also a handful PSN titles that pretty much blow anything on XBL or the Wii away (imho) but get no coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back