PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

[quote name='dgwillia006']Agreed, find it a bit rediculous that sometimes it takes me 20ish minutes to download barely a gig worth of stuff.[/QUOTE]

A patch for Netflix took me 45 minutes to DL one time. I was really, really pissed. Most things take forever over the PS network in contrast to Xbox Live. That's why I tend to do most of my gaming on/through Live, but had been enjoying PSN up until the recent slate of hackings/outages/etc.

I have no problems with downloading or updating games on the PSN. Time is usually never a factor and I am only using DSL.

Make sure you guys are on NAT Type 2 and have port-forward your PS3 and the games you play on it aswell. Wired>Wireless also makes very big difference.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']When do we get the free games?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KingBroly']Never[/QUOTE]

They changed their minds? Or was that news about us getting free stuff wrong? That sucks. :cry:

[quote name='elessar123']Computer literate here. Downloading from PSN is significantly slower. A demo that takes 30 minutes on 360 takes like 2 hours on PSN.[/QUOTE]

Add me to the list. Like another poster, Netflix works the same on both but DL speed for anything else is way slower on PS3.

[quote name='lordopus99']Add me to the list. Like another poster, Netflix works the same on both but DL speed for anything else is way slower on PS3.[/QUOTE]
What's odd is while I don't use x-box live, my download speed for PSN and Steam games seem to be faster than any files I download on any computer in my house.

Granted I use shitty ass DSL that only allows me to get 125 kb/sec max (and it's the only internet I can get) but still. Very weird.

[quote name='MICHAE2414']I've had a 30MB patch take two hours, but I've also had a 1GB demo take less than 45 minutes like it should, both during off-peak hours. Can't really explain it.

I have my PS3 assigned with a static IP from my router, which has helped in the past, but I'll have to tinker with it some more. Anyone who has a PS3 near their router should certainly go with an Ethernet connection if space permits.[/QUOTE]

Eh, ethernet is pointless if you're not worried about latency, or saturate your WLAN. Pretty much no one around here has more than 15mbps.

For the record, my PS3 is next to my dd-wrt router with static ip...on wifi.

Edit: Just to make it clear, I'm only talking about downloading patches and demos and streaming, not multiplayer gaming. I tried Tekken 6 after setting it up as a NAT2 wired connection, and it was unbearable. Even tried briefly connecting directly to the modem. Just as bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elessar123']Eh, ethernet is pointless if you're not worried about latency, or saturate your WLAN. Pretty much no one around here has more than 15mbps.

Edit: Just to make it clear, I'm only talking about downloading patches and demos and streaming, not multiplayer gaming. I tried Tekken 6 after setting it up as a NAT2 wired connection, and it was unbearable. Even tried briefly connecting directly to the modem. Just as bad.[/QUOTE]

I've had bad experiences with PSN downloads/updates being very slow.

I'll throw my hat in. Downloads always take enormous amounts of time on my PS3 (i.e. 40MB title update=20 minutes before I had PS+) yet this last required FW update downloaded in just a couple of minutes instead of the 30 minutes they usually take. To compare, on my 360 I was able to download the last Black Ops map pack in the time it took me to walk across the house and start a pot of coffee.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']They changed their minds? Or was that news about us getting free stuff wrong? That sucks. :cry:[/QUOTE]

If that's true am selling my ps3 today

[quote name='HeSaveDave']They changed their minds? Or was that news about us getting free stuff wrong? That sucks. :cry:[/QUOTE]

He was joking more than likely. I don't see anything on the net about them not giving them away. :lol:

can someone tell me if I perform a PS3 system backup to an external HDD, will it automatically include all PSN accounts on the machine (basically my gameshare account). Or is the backup per account/profile? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='cheapfrag']can someone tell me if I perform a PS3 system backup to an external HDD, will it automatically include all PSN accounts on the machine (basically my gameshare account). Or is the backup per account/profile? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

all your accounts will be part of the backup as well as saves.

It was most likely a joke. The free games are still coming once the PS Store comes back up, which I hope is this Tuesday.

[quote name='elessar123']Eh, ethernet is pointless if you're not worried about latency, or saturate your WLAN. Pretty much no one around here has more than 15mbps.

Edit: Just to make it clear, I'm only talking about downloading patches and demos and streaming, not multiplayer gaming. I tried Tekken 6 after setting it up as a NAT2 wired connection, and it was unbearable. Even tried briefly connecting directly to the modem. Just as bad.[/QUOTE]
Funny, mine is set up the same way, too (wireless static IP to my DD-WRT router). Everything else to this router works as expected for download speeds except for the PS3. Maybe I should try DMZ.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://twitter.com/#!/MK_MortalKombat/status/71686695317291008

Sony's suspended the need for a Kombat Pass to play Mortal Kombat online until the PS Store is back up.[/QUOTE]
That's good news. More confirmation from their Facebook page:

"Due to the recent PSN outage, Mortal Kombat for PS3 will now be playable online without need for the Kombat Pass. This is a temporary solution that will only be available while Playstation Store is unavailable. Once PlayStation Store is back up, users will be able to enter the Kombat Pass code included with Mortal Kombat or purchase a Kombat Pass for $9.99." [Source]

[quote name='MICHAE2414']
Funny, mine is set up the same way, too (wireless static IP to my DD-WRT router). Everything else to this router works as expected for download speeds except for the PS3. Maybe I should try DMZ.[/QUOTE]

No, that's the point. Someone was saying there's no difference between Live and PSN, and I was just saying there is.

Both my PS3s download everything pretty quick but of course people who prefer 360 will always say live is better

Whenever I download anything on live, it's usually pretty fast. On PSN it can be fast or slow, it's never consistent. Live has always been consistent for me.

[quote name='JG5253']Both my PS3s download everything pretty quick but of course people who prefer 360 will always say live is better[/QUOTE]

More or less. People will always favor what they like.

Ive been using ps3 for a long time and its never been abnormally slow for me and a demo has never taken 2 hours or whatever ridiculious claim I saw before.

The only time its slower for me is consistantly on friday evenings and on and off during saturday also and thats probablly just increased traffic with more people playing them.

When it was wired it downloaded stuff fast, not as fast as my pc but just as fast as my 360. Wireless with a signal that penetrates 2 seperate floors from a basic linksys 60 dollar wireless router it does pretty well.

Ive never had a real complaint with psn, its just as fast as 360 on my same connection.

[quote name='JG5253']Both my PS3s download everything pretty quick but of course people who prefer 360 will always say live is better[/QUOTE]

Cept I prefer the PS3. My 360 hadn't been hooked up since we got a new tv, like 6 weeks ago.

Ugh WTF is going on -_-. Was playing fine on PSN all day, then randomly my connection craps out, and now i cant sign back into PSN.

Whenever i try a connection test, it keeps failing on Playstation network...

[quote name='elessar123']Cept I prefer the PS3. My 360 hadn't been hooked up since we got a new tv, like 6 weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

I have, had a PS3 and my brother has an Xbox and the downloads on the PS3 are always 10x slower. Game demos easily take a couple of hours if not more. Singstar songs which are about 100 mb files take about half an hour to download. Surprising, when I rent movies from the PSN, those don't take nearly as long, and would be consider lightning fast compared to game demos.

[quote name='Thongsy']I have, had a PS3 and my brother has an Xbox and the downloads on the PS3 are always 10x slower. Game demos easily take a couple of hours if not more. Singstar songs which are about 100 mb files take about half an hour to download. Surprising, when I rent movies from the PSN, those don't take nearly as long, and would be consider lightning fast compared to game demos.[/QUOTE]

Just have to comment and say I love your avatar. Charlie Crews 4 Life! :lol:

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Sony's suspended the need for a Kombat Pass to play Mortal Kombat online until the PS Store is back up.[/QUOTE]That wasn't Sony's doing. It was developer/publisher doing the right thing.

So the next PSN crash is the 24th. I can live with that. Hopefully, I can get an extra day or two on my craptasitc PS+ trial so I can get the Uncharted 3 beta. (Its pretty sucky, in my opinion, that Sony is bring the store back two days before everyone would qualify for that beta straight up.)

OK. So after checking out some videos for Dead Nation, I may actually have a use for this welcome back program of Sony's after all.

I may also attempt to download inFamous or LBP GOTY to my PS3, since I never finished one(LBP GOTY) and I never really gave inFamous a chance when I had it. Although I remember being annoyed with how repetitive it seemed.

I'm sure that isn't a two-way street or anything.

My PS3 used to be much slower than my 360, now they're about the same. I think PSN got an overhaul back in 2009ish that sped it up considerably.

oh wow they took off the need for a mk kombat pass. i did the 2day trial and never went back thinking it was dead. oooh, i will be playing some mk later today ;)

[quote name='Little-Wildman']Has the free PS+ and all that stuff been activated for everyone yet?[/QUOTE]

good question... when can we all start downloading this stuff as well?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']OK. So after checking out some videos for Dead Nation, I may actually have a use for this welcome back program of Sony's after all.

I may also attempt to download inFamous or LBP GOTY to my PS3, since I never finished one(LBP GOTY) and I never really gave inFamous a chance when I had it. Although I remember being annoyed with how repetitive it seemed.[/QUOTE]

dead nation is very worth getting hell imo its a better zombie game than re5 but i agree about infamous it does get pretty repetitive i suggest anyone playing it the first time play evil not good.

[quote name='Little-Wildman']Has the free PS+ and all that stuff been activated for everyone yet?[/QUOTE]

Wildman...........the PS+ won't be "activated" until the PS store is integrated. This is just my personal assumption using common sense and no I don't have a source to back this up.

[quote name='lokizz']dead nation is very worth getting hell imo its a better zombie game than re5[/QUOTE]

No way :lol:

Will LBP be GOTY or not?

[quote name='moothemagiccow']who the hell doesnt have little big planet already[/QUOTE]

Me. I'll probably pick up LBP and Dead Nation. Would have preferred MAG over LBP though :(

[quote name='Organization_XIII']It's hard to believe the PS3 and Wii have been around for 5 years already[/QUOTE]
yea but for the first 3 years neither console (all three really) didn't show up.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']who the hell doesnt have little big planet already[/QUOTE]

Me...Just looks like something I'd have absolutely no fun with. I really can't stand platformers, especially cutsey platformers. Same goes for inFamous. Tried the demo and hated it....

LBP is a special game IMO, very unique. I don't really like platformers either but loved LBP (as everyone who plays it does). InFamous is OK...gets a little repetitive after a few hours but the exploration and occasional difficulty spikes make it fun.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']LBP is a special game IMO, very unique. I don't really like platformers either but loved LBP (as everyone who plays it does). InFamous is OK...gets a little repetitive after a few hours but the exploration and occasional difficulty spikes make it fun.[/QUOTE]

lbp would have been a better game if not for the wonky jumping mechanic. i like the game dont get me wrong but its frustrating to die due to the delay and floaty nature of how you jump. i wouldnt be surprised if a number of people didnt get into it for that reason.

Exactly. LBP was one of my most anticipated games for a very long time until I actually played it and discovered that, somehow, someone forgot how to make platform games. I'll always keep it around for random stuff online, but it isn't as polished as it should have been.

bread's done
Back