PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

[quote name='GTmaster39']Each state has their own guide lines as far as Rules of Engagement go.

In Arizona, you have to warn them first. If they don't leave after that, anything below the waist is fair game. :)

My friends dad out here owns am antique shop, dude comes in......makes a rukus, starts going after my friends dad. Father puts a whole magazine into him, guy dies....My friends dad goes to jail for 4 years....shit sucks.

Phoenix Newtimes had a whole article on it. And I know this guy. Wow.
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2010...after-killing-an-unarmed-homeless-trespasser/ [/QUOTE]
Wow. That is some seriously screwed up shit right there.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wow. That is some seriously screwed up shit right there.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Too many cowboys in this state.

Gamasutra: PlayStation brand faces unknown future

There was a time -- let's say, for argument's sake, from 1996 to 2004 -- when the PlayStation brand was awe-inspiring. PlayStation represented all the shining possibilities of the future. Brilliantly, PlayStation ran with the goodwill Sony built up in the 1980s with the Walkman, and super-boosted this reputation for design and technical excellence as well as a natural empathy for what people wanted.

But things do tend towards entropy. Today, the PlayStation brand is in gentle decline. And the events of the past week could accelerate that decline into something more serious. Especially if Sony continues to handle the crisis with the incompetence it has thus far demonstrated.

Brands are weird. They are both robust and delicate. On the one hand, the mythos of Sony's excellence doesn't just go away, any more than Toyota's formidable reputation did after its troubles last year.

On the other, the brand has already slipped from pre-eminence to also-ran, and this debacle can't do it any good. The PlayStation brand has been in decline for the entire life-cycle of PlayStation 3, while the Xbox and Nintendo brands have been steadily rising even through their own turmoils, like RROD and Wii's general faddishness. Unarguably, PlayStation is no longer a byword for next generation entertainment.

If Sony wants to come through this present crisis with the PlayStation brand relatively unsullied it needs to make some big changes to how it approaches the outside world, and how it views itself. Sony has always behaved like a dictator, benevolently dispensing information to favored sycophants according to its own desires. But we live in an age of communal equality, of disrespect and distrust of authority. The sycophants are still there. But fewer and fewer people are listening.

what to make of this?

[quote name='VipFREAK']You cannot remove a credit card that is associated with an active Xbox LIVE Gold Membership..[/QUOTE]

You can still remove it, it's just gonna take a while. Let your Live subscription end (and go into Silver), then delete the card. After that just renew Gold with a prepaid card.

[quote name='Cage017']After watching the newest episode of South Park, I'm reading Sony's Terms of Agreement word for word from now on.[/QUOTE]

Something inside is telling me this whole PSN issue is going to be turned into a South Park episode at some point. I can almost guarantee it.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']You can still remove it, it's just gonna take a while. Let your Live subscription end (and go into Silver), then delete the card. After that just renew Gold with a prepaid card.[/QUOTE]

That's my plan this summer. Although, I never really play online anymore so I'll probably stay Silver.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Something inside is telling me this whole PSN issue is going to be turned into a South Park episode at some point. I can almost guarantee it.[/QUOTE]

That's my guess in the SP thread.

People are making too big a deal of this. This will not be the demise of Sony. Anyone that thinks so is an idiot. Plain and simple. There is no way around it. There is no way a multi-million dollar company will fold the PlayStation franchise over this. Yes, this situation is bad. No way around that, but it could have happened to any system. People just like complaining these days.

[quote name='jaydepps']People are making too big a deal of this. This will not be the demise of Sony. Anyone that thinks so is an idiot. Plain and simple. There is no way around it. There is no way a multi-million dollar company will fold the PlayStation franchise over this. Yes, this situation is bad. No way around that, but it could have happened to any system. People just like complaining these days.[/QUOTE]

the ps isnt going to fold or antyhing no but this whole incedent will cost them alot of money in the long run especially as more and more people become victims of cc fraud. and if it ever comes out that they witheld info from people or knew about this well beforehand and did nothing that will just add to the issue.

honesty and communication are the best weapons they have to beat this. followed by a bribe to all their psn customers so they will be satisfied and move on with gaming.

iphone001.jpg

This situation with PSN is nothing really compared to hassles that have come from the problems associated with MS Internet Explorer's at least Sony is supposedly doing a total rebuild not a bunch of patches

[quote name='jer7583']Yeah, poor sony. Nobody sees how they're the victim in all this. All those cruel opportunists.

The Ars Technica peice was written by one of the best writers in the industry - the former editor of one of the best gaming mags of all time, Next-Generation. But then, you wouldn't know too much about that, being blinded by your need to defend sony from the "opporunists".

Sony fucked up, they deserve any negative press they get. And how dare people be concerned about their personal information! Sony couldn't help it![/QUOTE]

Dude, Ben Kuchera is about the biggest hack I've ever seen. He's not written one good article. He's continuously screwing up the time-lines of stuff, and he doesn't read or pay attention to stuff before he writes. Honestly, Ars really need to fire that guy, he's completely incompetent.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Except in that case you may go to jail for homicide.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

If your state has a "Castle Law" then you can shoot anyone who enters your home with the intention of theft or other criminal activity. My state just extended the Castle Law to your vehicle. If someone tries to carjack you, you can shoot them dead and not be charged.

No, the trade was not quite even (although, it was close, we give between $180 and $200 for slim PS3 systems and 2 of the people bought new 4GB systems with the trade, the other person had an original non BC PS3, which trades in around $150 and put it towards a 250GB slim 360).

I always ask whenever anyone trades in a console, when running a store you would be amazed at the amount of theft you see come in your doors. Quite the pain and rather difficult to prevent 100 percent of the time. I did not try to convince them otherwise in any way (obviously), but I was personally shocked that anyone would go as far as to trade a system based exclusively on this situation (and yes, all three people did say this- we had other people recently trade around systems, but this did not seem to matter much to them).

Giving ANY sort of estimate is better than saying nothing, in my opinion. I have heard from countless amount of angry customers in regards to this entire situation. They have all said that any information from Sony would be better than nothing. People seem to be especially upset about their information being stolen and being in the dark. Yes, I realize it is POSSIBLE Sony was not sure exactly what was stolen from the beginning, but public opinion seems to be doubting that.

This CERTAINLY is not going to kill Sony and won't really affect them long term at all (I will be shocked if it affects them much at all as soon as it is fixed).

Do you know how well Sony was protecting the information? I agree that it is possible they WERE doing everything possible to protect the information etc, but it does not seem likely, in my opinion.To say it isn't Sony's fault in any way when it was themselves who were hacked into? What is it they are doing now that the network is still not up and running? Part of what they are doing now is making sure something like this does not happen again- when it should not have happened in the first place.

If anyone in this thread works at a gamestop, which sees countless times the foot traffic my store sees, I would love to hear their experiences in regards to customers over this situation.

[quote name='raregamergirl']Giving ANY sort of estimate is better than saying nothing, in my opinion. I have heard from countless amount of angry customers in regards to this entire situation. They have all said that any information from Sony would be better than nothing. People seem to be especially upset about their information being stolen and being in the dark. Yes, I realize it is POSSIBLE Sony was not sure exactly what was stolen from the beginning, but public opinion seems to be doubting that.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they'll also be the first to complain if Sony missed their estimate. Some people act like they are entitled to have things always working exactly when and how they want, but sometimes stuff just goes wrong. If they are trading in their PS3 at a loss for an Xbox just because they can't wait a few days to play online, then they shouldn't even bother buying any game consoles. Something will go wrong for any maker or console, just got to roll with the hits.

[quote name='momouchi']Yeah, they'll also be the first to complain if Sony missed their estimate. Some people act like they are entitled to have things always working exactly when and how they want, but sometimes stuff just goes wrong. If they are trading in their PS3 at a loss for an Xbox just because they can't wait a few days to play online, then they shouldn't even bother buying any game consoles. Something will go wrong for any maker or console, just got to roll with the hits.[/QUOTE]

It's more about 'this may happen again' than just being impatient. The lack of information from Sony isn't helping their cause, either.

[quote name='KingBroly']It's more about 'this may happen again' than just being impatient. The lack of information from Sony isn't helping their cause, either.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. I feel that when Hirai addresses the PSN security breach he will tell us everything we already know and they don't expect to have any services back up and running by Tuesday. It will be back to the same old thing. Stay tuned for more information as it believes available. I hope I'm wrong and that isn't the case. Don't get me wrong. I hope I'm wrong and he says they are on track and some services will be up Tuesday and he also tells us what they will include.

[quote name='jman619']I feel the same way. I feel that when Hirai addresses the PSN security breach he will tell us everything we already know and they don't expect to have any services back up and running by Tuesday. It will be back to the same old thing. Stay tuned for more information as it believes available. I hope I'm wrong and that isn't the case. Don't get me wrong. I hope I'm wrong and he says they are on track and some services will be up Tuesday and he also tells us what they will include.[/QUOTE]

I'm predicting Kaz will make Sony out to be the victim and make it seem like they shouldn't be responsible for what happened. Then he'll yell out RIIIDDDGGEEE RAAAACCCCEEERR and immediately leave the stage.

[quote name='Blackout']I'm predicting Kaz will make Sony out to be the victim and make it seem like they shouldn't be responsible for what happened. Then he'll yell out RIIIDDDGGEEE RAAAACCCCEEERR and immediately leave the stage.[/QUOTE]
I predict he'll come out on the stage and channel Ken Kutaragi and say that the PS3 is getting a price INCREASE and that you should work harder to buy a PS3, then he'll quietly leave the stage amid a flurry of boos.

Maybe someone will even pull a Muntadar al-Zeidi and hurl a shoe at him as he makes the lil speech.;)

[quote name='dgwillia006']I find it a bit rediculous it STILL isnt up yet, nor has Sony "Actually" given us some sort of Deadline.

But whatever i guess

Anyone have any insight on how users are posting comments on the Playstation blog? I was under the impression you had to be logged into PSN to post comments.

Got this from Mark Macdonald's twitter. PSN will be back this week with a system update that will force you to change your password. Also there will be a PSN "Welcome Back" program that will feature free content based on region. PS+ members get 1 free month.

[quote name='jbug617']Got this from Mark Macdonald's twitter. PSN will be back this week with a system update that will force you to change your password. Also there will be a PSN "Welcome Back" program that will feature free content based on region. PS+ members get 1 free month.[/QUOTE]

that sounds very belivable.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...-qriocity-services-to-be-available-this-week/
Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) and Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) announced they will shortly begin a phased restoration by region of PlayStation®Network and Qriocity™ services, beginning with gaming, music and video services to be turned on. The company also announced both a series of immediate steps to enhance security across the network and a new customer appreciation program to thank its customers for their patience and loyalty.

Following a criminal cyber-attack on the company’s data-center located in San Diego, California, U.S.A., SNEI quickly turned off the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, engaged multiple expert information security firms over the course of several days and conducted an extensive audit of the system. Since then, the company has implemented a variety of new security measures to provide greater protection of personal information. SNEI and its third-party experts have conducted extensive tests to verify the security strength of the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. With these measures in place, SCE and SNEI plan to start a phased rollout by region of the services shortly. The initial phase of the rollout will include, but is not limited to, the following:

• Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems
    -This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
  • Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
  • Access to account management and password reset
  • Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
  • PlayStation®Home
  • Friends List
  • Chat Functionality
Working closely with several outside security firms, the company has implemented significant security measures to further detect unauthorized activity and provide consumers with greater protection of their personal information. The company is also creating the position of Chief Information Security Officer, directly reporting to Shinji Hasejima, Chief Information Officer of Sony Corporation, to add a new position of expertise in and accountability for customer data protection and supplement existing information security personnel. The new security measures implemented include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
  • Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
  • Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
  • Implementation of additional firewalls
The company also expedited an already planned move of the system to a new data center in a different location that has been under construction and development for several months. In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.

The company is conducting a thorough and on-going investigation and working with law enforcement to track down and prosecute those responsible for the illegal intrusion.

“This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry. These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers’ information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks,” said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation. “Our global audience of PlayStation Network and Qriocity consumers was disrupted. We have learned lessons along the way about the valued relationship with our consumers, and to that end, we will be launching a customer appreciation program for registered consumers as a way of expressing our gratitude for their loyalty during this network downtime, as we work even harder to restore and regain their trust in us and our services.”

Complimentary Offering and “Welcome Back” Appreciation Program

While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, the company is committed to helping its customers protect their personal data and will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in each region.

The company will also rollout the PlayStation Network and Qriocity “Welcome Back” program, to be offered worldwide, which will be tailored to specific markets to provide our consumers with a selection of service options and premium content as an expression of the company’s appreciation for their patience, support and continued loyalty.

Central components of the “Welcome Back” program will include:

• Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
  • All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
  • Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.
Additional “Welcome Back” entertainment and service offerings will be rolled out over the coming weeks as the company returns the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to the quality standard users have grown to enjoy and strive to exceed those exceptions.

SNEI will continue to reinforce and verify security for transactions before resuming the PlayStation®Store and other Qriocity operations, scheduled for this month.

For more information about the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services intrusion and restoration, please visit http://blog.us.playstation.com. or http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

Joystiq as a pseudo-liveblog up. So far, the more interesting point I've seen thus far

- You can only change the password for your PSN account on the PS3 you created the account on or through a certified email account

Hmm doesn't sound like PSN Store will be back up up yet. That is really all I care about right now. I have a bunch of points cards from the Kmart sale last week.

Hopefully they make sure not have to have the free PS+ trigger an auto-subscription to the service that has to be unchecked to avoid payment, otherwise they'll likely have a lot of pissed off people in 30 days.

[quote name='jbug617']turns out everyone get 1 month free of ps+[/QUOTE]

I just want my free online gameplay back with no strings attached. I have a feeling after the 30 days of free PS+ is up that if you don't re-up you'll be locked out of PSN.:whistle2:#
[quote name='guardian_owl']Hopefully they make sure not have to have the free PS+ trigger an auto-subscription to the service that has to be unchecked to avoid payment, otherwise they'll likely have a lot of pissed off people in 30 days.[/QUOTE]
Sony will never get my debit/credit card info, as I'll never put it on their servers, especially after this fiasco. But I have a feeling they will do exactly as you said and it'll be a bigger hassle than cancelling the ECA memberships were.

Is there any place else streaming the talk? I can't get that link posted last page to work.

Horay for free PS+ and Downloads.

Though, i hope i dont get screwed through only being able to change my password on the PS3 that created the account (Since my first PS3 YLOD'd).

Hope email changing isnt buggy, glad i made email accounts for my mule accounts though

Also, just heard PS Store wont be up until the end of may........FFFFUUUUUUUUUU

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sony will never get my debit/credit card info, as I'll never put it on their servers, especially after this fiasco. But I have a feeling they will do exactly as you said and it'll be a bigger hassle than cancelling the ECA memberships were.[/QUOTE]
Just turn off Auto-Renewal under Account Management.

It's a sort of shitty move for a free month of PS+ for non-subscribers, considering that whatever games they would download from the service wouldn't work after that month is up, if they chose not to buy in.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Hopefully they make sure not have to have the free PS+ trigger an auto-subscription to the service that has to be unchecked to avoid payment, otherwise they'll likely have a lot of pissed off people in 30 days.[/QUOTE]

This. They did this shit on the free trial of Qricoity. I just so happened to have had money in my PSN wallet for the first time in ever when that thing expired. They refused to give me my $10 back.

[quote name='Blackout']Is there any place else streaming the talk? I can't get that link posted last page to work.[/QUOTE]

The blog post has most of the information they covered. The presentations are over and they are in Q&A right now. The translators also are not very easy to understand. I wouldn't worry about it.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Horay for free PS+ and Downloads.

Though, i hope i dont get screwed through only being able to change my password on the PS3 that created the account (Since my first PS3 YLOD'd).

Hope email changing isnt buggy, glad i made email accounts for my mule accounts though

Also, just heard PS Store wont be up until the end of may........FFFFUUUUUUUUUU[/QUOTE]

End of May?! Where did you hear this? Tell me you're joking...

[quote name='dgwillia006']Horay for free PS+ and Downloads.

Though, i hope i dont get screwed through only being able to change my password on the PS3 that created the account (Since my first PS3 YLOD'd).[/QUOTE]
I hope it's not an issue for me either, as the PS3 I first made my account on is no longer in my possession.
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Just turn off Auto-Renewal under Account Management.[/QUOTE]
But that's the thing, I DON'T WANT the PS+ bullshit. I just want my FREE PSN back and for it to actually be more reliable. I don't even care about changing my password, as I've never(and will never) use a debit/credit card on the service.

End of May would suck. I have $60 of points I just bought right when PSN first went down. I would have a lot more if Kmart had more points cards left.

I'm hoping the freebies are decent, but I have a feeling Sony will just give away content that they've already given away before through PSN+, etc.

[quote name='denze']Anyone have any insight on how users are posting comments on the Playstation blog? I was under the impression you had to be logged into PSN to post comments.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I just tried to post a comment to see what you where talking about and it asked me to sign in, but when you go to the sign in nothing is there it's blank where there would be a place to type your UN and PW........dunno...Facebook maybe?

[quote name='aem']The blog post has most of the information they covered. The presentations are over and they are in Q&A right now. The translators also are not very easy to understand. I wouldn't worry about it.[/QUOTE]

I'd still like to watch it. Hopefully somebody throws it up on YouTube.

Nobody's forcing you to use anything. The online's coming back this week, so just turn off auto-renewal and play whatever you want to play online this week.

About when the PS Store is coming back: SNEI will continue to reinforce and verify security for transactions before resuming the PlayStation®Store and other Qriocity operations, scheduled for this month.

Yay~
I get a free month of PSN+ and then I'll have to pay MONEY to continue using any free content that I got during that time! =DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Heres the quote apparently

"SNEI will continue to reinforce and verify security for transactions before resuming the PlayStation®Store and other Qriocity operations, scheduled for this month"

Wonder if Download codes would work still.......Amazon PSN Store might save the day

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Nobody's forcing you to use anything. The online's coming back this week, so just turn off auto-renewal and play whatever you want to play online this week.[/QUOTE]
But if one never uses or downloads the PS+ or whatever in the first place, then why would one have to turn off auto renewal at all?:whistle2:#

Just like their shitware updates, I suppose I can't just opt out of the portions of this I don't want, right?

bread's done
Back