PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

[quote name='Blackout']Knowing Sony, they'll do some speech at E3 saying how much of a victim they were, but somehow overcame all the obstacles to return PSN back to their valuable (lol) customers.

Id be beyond pissed if I had any sort of business relationship with Sony. It looks like PSN will be down for a month or more total. That would seriously impact my decision to do something like PS3 exlusives or even exclusive game content. If I was a small time game developer making PSN games, I would literally tell Sony to fuck themselves and jump ship to the 360.

I was thinking as well that Sony needs to work with all the game companies to promote the hell out of PSN when it returns online. Any game that had an active multiplayer community needs to have Double XP for a full week or two. Things like that need to happen.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. All of the big stuff was just coming out/about to come out too

Are all the servers in Japan? Or are the American users have servers for their own region?

It's monday morning. It's night time in Japan. I'm sure Kaz is getting ready for bed. =P

I took a vacation last week, and totally expected that PSN would be back by now. Imagine my disappointment when I fired up my PS3 last night for a little post-travel R&R.

This is some "laughing stock" stuff right here. How does a Japanese executive escape hari kari these days?

What a joke. A free month of PS+? That better change quick.

I love the quote here from this Shigenori Yoshida douche bag: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1166810p1.html

"Sony is uncertain when it can resume the services," Tokyo-based Sony spokesperson Shigenori Yoshida is quoted as saying in the report, before letting slip a new return date, "The company is in the process of adopting an improved security system and its plan to restart the services fully by May 31 is unchanged."

That is the plan since when exactly? Why haven't consumers at large been informed of this "unchanged" plan? Their complete lack of respect to their consumers is what got them in this mess in the first place. Keep it up Sony.

[quote name='Sgt Barone']Down till May 31? Wow.[/QUOTE]
Well the "unchanged plan" is to have it fully restored by that date, according to the quote.

They just announced on the Bloomberg Business report that Sony has no idea when they will be able to get PSN back up, so I wouldn't count on May 31.

[quote name='Stimes']They just announced on the Bloomberg Business report that Sony has no idea when they will be able to get PSN back up, so I wouldn't count on May 31.[/QUOTE]

Well the full psn right? Thought they were going to roll out online play and such in waves, building back up to include the store and what not.

If it's still down by May 31st then I may end up getting rid of Portal 2 and MK for PS3 for the 360 copies. I got these games for the added multiplayer experience and I'm getting sick of not being able to play online.

[quote name='aerol']This is some "laughing stock" stuff right here. How does a Japanese executive escape hari kari these days?[/QUOTE]

Don't know... They only bowed before the Japanese media for 7 seconds. (Some of the Japanese car manufactures have bowed in apology for over 30 minutes on their screw ups.)

No expert on the above... (but not even a minute seems real short to me) I just know it was mentioned in Gametrailer.com last Invisible Walls podcast.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Well the full psn right? Thought they were going to roll out online play and such in waves, building back up to include the store and what not.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that its May 31 just for the Store... (Its the part that needs the most security after all) and we should have online play soon... Or at least that's how I read it.

Edit: See above post.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Well the full psn right? Thought they were going to roll out online play and such in waves, building back up to include the store and what not.[/QUOTE]

They actually mentioned the online play as well but they didn't go into much detail about it.

Time does not bother me. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have the PSN back up sooner than later, but I'd rather it take a bit longer if that means proper security systems.

Reward does not bother me. It's nice that Sony EU has offered two games, but keep in perspective that Sony US hasn't offered anything outside of a cocktease for PS+. I'm already a subscriber to Plus, so as long as I get my lost time back, I'm okay with that, too.

What really bothers me is the lack of communication from Sony. There are a good number of updates from Sony, but so little substance at times. I don't think daily updates are asking too much, particularly since this is such a largely public PR disaster for Sony. Their blog updates are a wonderful example of how corporations word things to say nothing while masking that they are saying nothing. They said they were in the "final stages" 4 days ago, and not an update since then. A boilerplate apology from Howard Stringer does no good to me; I don't care if the great wealthy elite CEO comes down from on high to comment with us plebians in the most vague and indirect way possible. The mere act of communicating is meaningless if nothing of value is said.

What bothers me most is the great uncertainty of where we'll be by the end of today, where we'll be by the end of this week, and where we'll be by the end of this month.

I do truly see Sony as the victim here - doubly so, because now the burden of repairing and rebuilding is one them. But both burdens are on them indeed, and they're not doing as well in communicating the latter as well as they should be.

Also, if they say "working around the clock" one more time...I can't be the only one who thinks that's a massive pile of bullshit, right?

[quote name='CaptainJoel']If it's still down by May 31st then I may end up getting rid of Portal 2 and MK for PS3 for the 360 copies. I got these games for the added multiplayer experience and I'm getting sick of not being able to play online.[/QUOTE]

Same exact situation here. I wanted the Steam version of Portal 2 (despite not having a computer that can run it atm) and I wanted Kratos in MK. While I've still had some fun with single player in both games, I certainly haven't gotten everything I paid for out of the deal.

I am looking forward to what should be a massive flood of content once the store returns. I'll just be using prepaid cards to buy it.

just be glad this didnt happen when its still cold out (at least in my area). if this happened in the winter months, i think i would have lost it. hahaha.

[quote name='benjamouth']So maybe May 31st ??

Anyone canceling their PS3 Brink pre-order ?[/QUOTE]

Cancelled my Brink pre-order yesterday. The possibility that no online play is available for the immediate future was a deal-breaker.

I've been able to keep myself occupied with Portal2 and MK over the outage, but I'm finding myself on the PS3 less and less. While I don't believe Sony owes us anything (outside of recouping the lost PSN+ time), they are really going to need to do something to get the consumer's attention back in a positive way. Besides the lack of trust issues, I'd assume lots of people have to have found other ways to either feed their gaming needs, or just have found other ways to spend their time...

I totally forgot to ask, but for those of us that have PSN+ will we get our time credited back to us for the time that the store has been down in addition to the free month that everyone's getting?

At this point its just frustrating....i've replayed a few campaigns and even turned on my ps2 a few days back (even found myself playin the ps2 UT)

the communication from sony is horrible - few, vague and repetitive 'updates'...if i see 'working round the clock' or 'resume shortly' i'm gonna flip

.....i find myself constantly googling and checkin twitter to get an idea if whats goin on...its sad

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I totally forgot to ask, but for those of us that have PSN+ will we get our time credited back to us for the time that the store has been down in addition to the free month that everyone's getting?[/QUOTE]

haven't seen it confirmed, but I think that is how it will work.

That is the plan for DCUO, free month plus the days the service was down, so I expect the same for plus users.

Pretty tired of the BS from Sony, sad we have to look at other outlets for updates/information. I would love to play some NHL 11 right in the middle of the playoffs, so I'm considering selling my copy and getting it for the box. Thankfully I didn't miss out on double point weekend....

[quote name='fyahbwoy']At this point its just frustrating....i've replayed a few campaigns and even turned on my ps2 a few days back (even found myself playin the ps2 UT)

the communication from sony is horrible - few, vague and repetitive 'updates'...if i see 'working round the clock' or 'resume shortly' i'm gonna flip

.....i find myself constantly googling and checkin twitter to get an idea if whats goin on...its sad[/QUOTE]
What the hell did you and many others who seem so impatient about when PSN is gonna be back up do 2-3 gens ago when online gaming on consoles was either nonexistent or a rarity?:whistle2:#

I know back in the Genesis era I used to go hang over a buddies house and we'd play some games co-op on the same couch and sit there and bs while strategizing what to do next in the game. Actually we still do hang out and play some co-op games together at times.

It's nice to be able to play offline co-op with real life friends and not have to listen to kids saying $$$$a every other second in mp like it's the coolest thing ever, people blasting their rap crap n bursting my eardrums or people just generally being total asshat toolbags just because they can.

Problem is a lot of the games now seem to concentrate on the online component, save for the few that actually put out decent single player campaigns. I personally like to play the sports kind against my friends out of state online....

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What the hell did you and many others who seem so impatient about when PSN is gonna be back up do 2-3 gens ago when online gaming on consoles was either nonexistent or a rarity?:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

2-3 gens ago most people on here were children. things change when you get older.

[quote name='8bitArtist']2-3 gens ago most people on here were children. things change when you get older.[/QUOTE]
Three gens ago I was 17-18 and just out of high school. But I do understand that there's a good portion of CAG nowadays that are either teens, tweens or just barely out of that age range who think it's the end of the world when their iPhone loses service for half a nanosecond.:roll:

The internet is really not the be all end all many growing up now believe it to be. There was entertainment before YouTube, Netflix and so on.:razz::booty:You just had to go to the store to get it.;)

I could only imagine what the kids growing up now would do if they had to fuck with a pair of 'bunny ear' antennas on their tv to get in the reception of their 3-5(if that) local tv stations instead of the 300+ channels(of the same shit) we have now.:shock:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Three gens ago I was 17-18 and just out of high school. But I do understand that there's a good portion of CAG nowadays that are either teens, tweens or just barely out of that age range who think it's the end of the world when their iPhone loses service for half a nanosecond.:roll:

The internet is really not the be all end all many growing up now believe it to be. There was entertainment before YouTube, Netflix and so on.:razz::booty:

I could only imagine what the kids growing up now would do if they had to fuck with a pair of 'bunny ear' antennas on their tv to get in the reception of their 3-5(if that) local tv stations.:shock:[/QUOTE]

Forget about the bunnies, what about getting up off the couch to turn the channel. Most tvs hide the channel up and down buttons.

[quote name='mwynn']Forget about the bunnies, what about getting up off the couch to turn the channel. Most tvs hide the channel up and down buttons.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. That was brutal at times. But luckily for me my tv in my room was within 2-3 feet of my bed, so I'd lean over the side and click to the next channel with ease.;)

[quote name='8bitArtist']2-3 gens ago most people on here were children. things change when you get older.[/QUOTE]

Your point being?
It's almost confirmed that I came out of the womb with an NES controller in my paws. ;)

my point being is its easier to get with friends and play video games when you were younger. most adults now are busy with work/children/wives/college/etc... and getting online for an hour is all they have to game. driving to someones house is cutting into that time. kids got all the time in the world, adults do not.

[quote name='8bitArtist']you know, when i was 16, gas cost 99 cents a gallon![/QUOTE]
Same here.;) I remember asking my buddies for $1-2 each for gas and we'd go cruising around on Friday nights for HOURS and still have money in our pockets to go grab a bite to eat after we were done.:D

Now you have to mortgage your soul for a full tank of gas.:cry:
[quote name='8bitArtist']my point being is its easier to get with friends and play video games when you were younger. most adults now are busy with work/children/wives/college/etc... and getting online for an hour is all they have to game. driving to someones house is cutting into that time. kids got all the time in the world, adults do not.[/QUOTE]
My buddy I play some co-op with doesn't live that far away, so it's a quick 5-10 minute drive and I'm there. Plus right now I have all the free time in the world(unemployed:cry:).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']My buddy I play some co-op with doesn't live that far away, so it's a quick 5-10 minute drive and I'm there. Plus right now I have all the free time in the world(unemployed:cry:).[/QUOTE]

yeah, i mean, most of my friends around here arent really gamers. plus most of my childhood friends have all relocated (like i did) or made the mistake of staying back in our hometown. so we are all scattered around the country. id love to have a few local buds to game with, but i really dont.

also, keep in mind, the same stuff youre saying about the iphones, tv and such... all your grand parents said the same thing. when they didnt have tvs at all and only radio and the only toy they had was a ball in a cup otherwise they had to *gasp* use their imagination. hahaha.

[quote name='8bitArtist']yeah, i mean, most of my friends around here arent really gamers. plus most of my childhood friends have all relocated (like i did) or made the mistake of staying back in our hometown. so we are all scattered around the country. id love to have a few local buds to game with, but i really dont.

also, keep in mind, the same stuff youre saying about the iphones, tv and such... all your grand parents said the same thing. when they didnt have tvs at all and only radio and the only toy they had was a ball in a cup otherwise they had to *gasp* use their imagination. hahaha.[/QUOTE]

Hey now. I used my imagination often as a kid. But kids nowadays are way too spoiled with all their choices for entertainment.:razz:

Your ball in a cup reference reminded me of this clip from Family Guy btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsH2nqfTIrQ

ha, oh FG is totally what i was referencing too. i mean, i used my imagination too, but i also had tv and nes to play. make me a kid back in the 1940s and i would have used my imagination almost exclusively then go buy a candy bar for a nickel.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What the hell did you and many others who seem so impatient about when PSN is gonna be back up do 2-3 gens ago when online gaming on consoles was either nonexistent or a rarity?:whistle2:#

I know back in the Genesis era I used to go hang over a buddies house and we'd play some games co-op on the same couch and sit there and bs while strategizing what to do next in the game. Actually we still do hang out and play some co-op games together at times.

It's nice to be able to play offline co-op with real life friends and not have to listen to kids saying $$$$a every other second in mp like it's the coolest thing ever, people blasting their rap crap n bursting my eardrums or people just generally being total asshat toolbags just because they can.[/QUOTE]

i'm one of those ppl who works, has a social life and loves gaming....back when i played other games it was a diff situation...i happen to enjoy online gaming and i have been patiently waitin...everyone gets a bit frustrated at some point.....and as for that comment about ppl bein toolbags or watever u call it...thats kinda wat u are...no need to take sumbody's comment so serious...to each their own...just cause u may not like unlike gamin so much don't be a bitch about it

Ever article I read said certain services are coming way before May 31st and May 31st was when everything was completely restored. At this rate we will be lucky if any of it is up by May 31st.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Hey now. I used my imagination often as a kid. But kids nowadays are way too spoiled with all their choices for entertainment.:razz:

Your ball in a cup reference reminded me of this clip from Family Guy btw:
[/QUOTE]
Why go to the trouble of constructing a ball and cup on a string when nature's most awesome toy is available just outside with no assembly required?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP0kWqJJZa4

[quote name='fyahbwoy']i'm one of those ppl who works, has a social life and loves gaming....back when i played other games it was a diff situation...i happen to enjoy online gaming and i have been patiently waitin...everyone gets a bit frustrated at some point.....and as for that comment about ppl bein toolbags or watever u call it...thats kinda wat u are...no need to take sumbody's comment so serious...to each their own...just cause u may not like unlike gamin so much don't be a bitch about it[/QUOTE]
Don't get me wrong. I like online gaming, but it's definitely not the worst thing in the world for the network to be down. It's allowed me to work on my backlog and lessen the stacks of games I've bought since I joined CAG.

As for taking someone's comment so serious, I did not mean to come off as rude, but people are so damned impatient anymore. Sony obviously wants to get their network back up and have it be wholly secure BEFORE just letting people onto it and having another outage for 2-3 weeks.

So let's just all take a deep breath, relax and play a few games offline for a little while longer while Sony gets their act together and gets their network secured.
[quote name='guardian_owl']Why go to the trouble of constructing a ball and cup on a string when nature's most awesome toy is available just outside with no assembly required?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP0kWqJJZa4 [/QUOTE]
:lol: Ren and Stimpy. I miss that show. It's too bad the reboot of the series was such an abomination.:roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yeah. That was brutal at times. But luckily for me my tv in my room was within 2-3 feet of my bed, so I'd lean over the side and click to the next channel with ease.;)[/QUOTE]

I thought I was all that when we got a new VCR that had a Wired remote, it just had the basic play/stop, fwd/rev functions but it was awesome at the time. It's crazy to think TVs used to have literally knobs and levers on them.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Why go to the trouble of constructing a ball and cup on a string when nature's most awesome toy is available just outside with no assembly required?[/QUOTE]Excellent! Now to go get that song stuck in the Wife's head... (all over again.)

[quote name='defmonkey05']Your point being?
It's almost confirmed that I came out of the womb with an NES controller in my paws. ;)[/QUOTE]
Well here is another point. When I was in college I could just walk down the hall and play games. Now those same people live 2+ hours away and well the only way we can play games is through online. Don't get me wrong I love physical face to face interaction, but most times I can't get that anymore so online is my only option.

Also I still remember the one TV I had to play NES games. It was a small color tv and it had a knob to change the channel. It only had like 10 channels total. We could not even get antenna channels on it to where we live, being in the woods. Man the advancements in technology. Now I usually have to find my remote, lol.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: Ren and Stimpy. I miss that show. It's too bad the reboot of the series was such an abomination.:roll:[/QUOTE]

you know, i bought all the old ren and stimpys on dvd awhile back and they werent anywhere near as funny as i remember them to be. i was actually pretty disappointed.

I have no reason to believe it'll be by May 31st. Sony has pretty much lied about every time table since this whole thing started. Like I mentioned before, I bet they just wait until E3. Sony will use it as one of their bullet points for their presentation to show how great they are.

It really sucks too, because I wonder how this will affect the online community for Brink. PS3 always has a smaller community for multi games. If it doesn't come back for almost 2 weeks after launch, people probably would have moved on, or bought the 360 version instead.

[quote name='j-cart']http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/5/9/anonymous-civil-war-anonops-sites-are-hacked/

Take with a grain of salt.[/QUOTE]

Can't be long before the internet is shut down and we have to *gasp* go over to other people's houses for multiplayer.

[quote name='mastagoalie']everyone see that may 31st is the tentative restart date for the psn?[/QUOTE]

Sigh... it's just un-fucking-believable how long PSN has been down for. I honestly hope Sony learns something from this, other than to keep hiring lawyers and suing people.

Aw... who am I kidding? I can't wait to see their E3 press conference to see what they say. I'm guessing something along the lines of: "It's not our fault! It's those hackers! And Nintendo sucks because they don't have real games... only casual motion games! ... What? Move? What's that?"

You know, a lot of people were surprised when they said it'd be back up within a week or two because rebuilding your entire security network from the ground up can usually take months. Yet now that it is taking longer people are bitching. The Internet never ceases to amaze me.

I'm sure Sony could whip something up and put it back online, but would you rather it be secure? or would you rather it go back up in a half-assed manner? I personally would rather they take as much time as they need to ensure that it's secure, but hey that's just me...

bread's done
Back