Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167157

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KABUKISTAR']Possible drop:

The Zelda PH hardcover guide is gone from the BB site.[/quote]

Price checked it yesterday, still $14.99.

HUGE fuckING DROP TODAY AT GAMESTOP:

Zelda: Twilight Princess (hardback)
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (hardback)
Mass Effect w/Art book

all a penny. Got mine!!

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Operation darkness also pennied out AT GS. Got Okami (They held it it for me for about a week), LOZ:TP and OD and Mass Effect.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I managed to find OD, my first .01 guide from GS in a while.

Jesus...went to three GameStops, even one that said on the website had a hardcover PH...and nothing. One of them acted like they had a copy of TP but refused to sell it to me, another had none, and the one with PH on the site said they didn't have any...after I had to wait 30 minutes to find out because their system was down.

[quote name='punkmaggit']HUGE fuckING DROP TODAY AT GAMESTOP:

Mass Effect w/Art book

all a penny. Got mine!![/quote]

I didn't read that right and went to Best Buy. I am retarded.

P.S. They're still full price there.

In addition to all four LEs and OD that dropped today at GS I also snagged Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings.

Dang. The GStop that usually gives me guides no problem didn't have any of the newest ones. Then when I tried to snag some Okami Wii guides the guy overrode the prices. Struck out :(

On a more positive note, I did find 2 good wavebirds, and an incorrectly labeled x360 charge kit for $6.99...so after the 20% off coupon, I did quite well.

Last edited by a moderator:
awww man that sucks, this new drop any way. I've seen those guides at my local GS but I can't go there til later this week. Maybe Bestbuy will have a similiar drop, I've been having luck there.

typical - I won't even be near a GS til Friday - I hope my buddies save one for me.

If not, would anyone be able to help with the zelda guides?

[quote name='punkmaggit']HUGE fuckING DROP TODAY AT GAMESTOP:

Mass Effect w/Art book

all a penny. Got mine!![/quote]
Thanks man! Got 1 of each of the Zelda's. :D

Was able to find the Twilight Princess HC and OD guides. Didn't find a Phantom Hourglass HC. Got an extra of each going on my tradelist.

Please be patient if you PM me...internet is down at home, having to post from phone.

[quote name='neocisco']Is there a second confirmation on Assassin's Creed?[/quote]

Yes

Damn, i was looking at Operation Darkness , but thought the drop was to 9.99 - not a penny. Only wound up with a Incredible Hulk at that store.

Only ended up with a copy of Phantom Hourglass. The other place where I started to get my guides didn't have any at all. It's cool.

With this going on, it's only a matter of time before Best Buy will penny these out. Then, I'll make my move. ;)

--Michael

Anyone check Mana Khamia (sp?)? If Operation Darkness dropped, I wonder if that did too. Damn, and I was hoping to pick those up too (my stores generally don't like to sell penny guides). Maybe I can see if they have them in the back and they can manually charge me like 5 bucks for em or something?

[quote name='Zmonkay']Anyone check Mana Khamia (sp?)? If Operation Darkness dropped, I wonder if that did too. Damn, and I was hoping to pick those up too (my stores generally don't like to sell penny guides). Maybe I can see if they have them in the back and they can manually charge me like 5 bucks for em or something?[/quote]

I was wondering about Mana Khemia myself. I saw copies at one of my local GS at $9.99 and I just figured they'd be that price. I hadn't seen this thread yet. :bomb:

[quote name='Zmonkay']Anyone check Mana Khamia (sp?)? If Operation Darkness dropped, I wonder if that did too. Damn, and I was hoping to pick those up too (my stores generally don't like to sell penny guides). Maybe I can see if they have them in the back and they can manually charge me like 5 bucks for em or something?[/quote]
Mana Khamia guide is $9.99. I bought it last week.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Operation darkness also pennied out AT GS. Got Okami (They held it it for me for about a week), LOZ:TP and OD and Mass Effect.[/quote]

I assume you meant Mass Effect w/art book. I could only find the standalone Mass Effect guide at GS today and it was still regular price ($19.99).

[quote name='62t']I checked Mana Khamia today. $9.99[/QUOTE]

awesome. I might still find one, heh. Who'd have thought I'd hope a guide DIDN'T get pennied... :roll:

[quote name='gantt']I assume you meant Mass Effect w/art book. I could only find the standalone Mass Effect guide at GS today and it was still regular price ($19.99).[/quote]
:whistle2:s Yeah, that's strange.

[quote name='Guerrilla']:whistle2:s Yeah, that's strange.[/quote]
Not really. Usually the special editions of guides get pennied before the normal editions.

I got Eternal Sonata for free from Gamestop but when he rang up the ME LE he said it was full price still...

Im pretty sure he just wanted it for himself and didnt know it was being pennied out already.

Nothing for me. They destroyed them last night. *sigh*

I was told that the Phantom Hourglass Hardcover isn't pennied at one location. Not sure what that is about...

Two rather interesting stories:

Yesterday I just happened to notice the big 3 (both Zelda's and ME) behind the counter and asked the girl working there what price they were. She replied "A penny, so technically I'm not supposed to sell them." Cue me - big doe eyes and a heartfelt "Please?" It was about then that the UPS guy came in (a buddy from long ago, another story for another time) and she went off to help him. Eventually she came back and rang up all 3 for me :D At some point she mentioned that she wanted the Twilight Princess guide, but she gave them to me anyway. Onto today's story:

I hit up another store just because I was in the neighborhood and lo and behold I found another Twilight Princess & ME guide - along with a bunch of Okami's, and all the stuff from the previous drop. I only brought up one of the Okami's and the TP & ME guide. After some scorned looks, the guy sold 'em to me but asked me my name and what Gamestop I used to work at 0_o. Needless to say I got the heck out of there quickly.

Feeling somewhat brazen and a little foolhardy, I went back to yesterday's store and gave the clerk a brand new Twilight Princess guide. She seemed a little taken aback but was really surprised. Everything's right with the world again. :)

[quote name='punkmaggit']Two rather interesting stories:

Yesterday I just happened to notice the big 3 (both Zelda's and ME) behind the counter and asked the girl working there what price they were. She replied "A penny, so technically I'm not supposed to sell them." Cue me - big doe eyes and a heartfelt "Please?" It was about then that the UPS guy came in (a buddy from long ago, another story for another time) and she went off to help him. Eventually she came back and rang up all 3 for me :D At some point she mentioned that she wanted the Twilight Princess guide, but she gave them to me anyway. Onto today's story:

I hit up another store just because I was in the neighborhood and lo and behold I found another Twilight Princess & ME guide - along with a bunch of Okami's, and all the stuff from the previous drop. I only brought up one of the Okami's and the TP & ME guide. After some scorned looks, the guy sold 'em to me but asked me my name and what Gamestop I used to work at 0_o. Needless to say I got the heck out of there quickly.

Feeling somewhat brazen and a little foolhardy, I went back to yesterday's store and gave the clerk a brand new Twilight Princess guide. She seemed a little taken aback but was really surprised. Everything's right with the world again. :)[/quote]

:applause: you sir, are a very kind person

[quote name='punkmaggit']Two rather interesting stories:

Feeling somewhat brazen and a little foolhardy, I went back to yesterday's store and gave the clerk a brand new Twilight Princess guide. She seemed a little taken aback but was really surprised. Everything's right with the world again. :)[/quote]

See, the true CAG spirit is not all gone...it was just under a bunch of penny guides.
And he's a great trader as well.:D

Well my GameStops had already pulled all of the penny guides. I hadn't been keeping track of this thread cause I could never find anything, but low and behold at the mall store they had the sealed Phantom Hourglass sitting there on the guide rack. They let me have it no problem. They looked in the back through the other penny guides that were going to be thrown out but they hadn't had the Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed Special Edition guides for a while. Kinda sucks, but oh well. I will put the one guide I did get on my tradelist, hopefully get some of the ones I'm looking for.

Fresh Game Crazy drop...

Black
Dead or Alive 4
Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 (probably the calender)
Godfather (360/PSP)
Hitman Blood Money
Indigo Prophecy
James Bond: From Russia With Love
Just Cause
Kameo
Lego Star Wars
Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth II
Mortal Kombat Armageddon
Ninety-Nine Nights
Nba Live 07
Need for Speed Carbon
Paid to Play (?)
Perfect Dark Zero
Pokemon 10th Anniversary Pokedex
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Prima
Pokemon Ranger Prima
Quake IV
Reservoir Dogs
Sims 2 Pets
Star Wars Episode III
Super Dragonball Z (?)
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (2-dvd ?)
Star Wars Repulic Commando
Splinter Cell Doubt Agent
Ghost Recon 3: Advanced Warfighter
Xbox 360 Official Handbook

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back