Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Seven and a Half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='eau']They made it sound like it would work without some Jedi mind trick :roll:[/QUOTE]
I would like to see someone try that.

[quote name='donut']I hope someone locates Casey idiots e-mail....
I've been trying....[/quote]

I finally got PSM yesterday, still have no idea why I get it, never paid for it, but it comes so I read it.

And if it makes you guys feel better that idiot did it in my area. It was hard enough finding a GS/eb that would give them to you before, now it may be next to impossible.

[quote name='erehwon']Do you guys think we'll be getting a drop tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

Try to keep up with the conversation: By publicizing it, PSM has probably made the practice of finding penny guides now next to impossible for most. And for many it was close to that before.

So no. Don't expect a drop.

roc's feather;3075286]Try to keep up with the conversation: By publicizing it said:
I was talking about a drop at BB. I don't even bother trying to find penny guides at EB/GS. I've never had much luck with them.

roc's feather;3075286]Try to keep up with the conversation: By publicizing it said:
I dunno, I don't think this article is going to have much of an effect. So, some people are going to walk into a Gamestop, and say, Can I have some strategy guides for a penny? In most cases, they're just going to say no, or we don't have any, or we're not allowed to sell them. Right now, most Gamestops aren't going to have any anyway, as there hasn't been a penny drop in a while.

These two things are unrelated. Guides will still drop. It's safe to believe that your chance of actually getting them may have diminished, though.

IMO, I don't think this will have a particularly noticeable impact. Stores that were slack before will probably still be slack about it. Stores that were vigilant will still be the same. I still think Casey Lynch is an idiot for writing about it but I don't think it will make a big difference.

[quote name='camelking6969']omg a whole page on this idiot, same reason we shut down other thread[/quote]

Casey Lynch's article could potentially affect the availability of .01 guides so it's directly related to this thread.

[quote name='neocisco']Casey Lynch's article could potentially affect the availability of .01 guides so it's directly related to this thread.[/quote]Exactly.

It's a huge disturbance of the Penny Guide Force. :D

[quote name='Brian9824']FYI Rogue Galaxy guide isn't on bestbuy's site. If anyone happens to go by take a peek[/QUOTE]

It's been gone for a couple weeks now.

can anyone scan or share that article? i'd like to read it. btw all those PSM guys are a bunch of idiots. i really hated them back in the ps1 days. they use to make fun of everyone writting letters to them (posted in the letter section). for some reason it is a well respected magazine in the industry.. i guess thats why its still around. although i doubt that they make their sales quota every issue.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']Dang, that manager sounds like a dick. Why do managers and the like always like to give people a hard time and not save them any money? She also had no right to physically take that guide from you. If it were me, I would give people the benefit of the doubt.[/quote]
Of course she had the right to take it -- it belongs to the company until it's paid for. Managers who follow this rule aren't dicks. They're trying to save their jobs. The book publishers have a deal with the dealers whereby the publisher reimburses the company for every unsold guide. The dealer has agreed to destroy the books. This prevents everyone from simply waiting out the full-price time period so they can get the book for free.

Are you aware that video games are a bigger business than MOVIES? These companies screw with the relationships with publishers and they're out HUGE SUMS OF MONEY. I love how everyone on this site is so literally cheap that they actually begrudge businesses who try and make a profit. Wow. Grow up.

For what it's worth, the following guide fell off the BB site. The other version is still there, however.

8029965 Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue / Red Rescue Team

[quote name='othergames']Of course she had the right to take it -- it belongs to the company until it's paid for. Managers who follow this rule aren't dicks. They're trying to save their jobs. The book publishers have a deal with the dealers whereby the publisher reimburses the company for every unsold guide. The dealer has agreed to destroy the books. This prevents everyone from simply waiting out the full-price time period so they can get the book for free.

Are you aware that video games are a bigger business than MOVIES? These companies screw with the relationships with publishers and they're out HUGE SUMS OF MONEY. I love how everyone on this site is so literally cheap that they actually begrudge businesses who try and make a profit. Wow. Grow up.[/quote]You're here. What's your excuse?

[quote name='othergames']Of course she had the right to take it -- it belongs to the company until it's paid for. Managers who follow this rule aren't dicks. They're trying to save their jobs. The book publishers have a deal with the dealers whereby the publisher reimburses the company for every unsold guide. The dealer has agreed to destroy the books. This prevents everyone from simply waiting out the full-price time period so they can get the book for free.

Are you aware that video games are a bigger business than MOVIES? These companies screw with the relationships with publishers and they're out HUGE SUMS OF MONEY. I love how everyone on this site is so literally cheap that they actually begrudge businesses who try and make a profit. Wow. Grow up.[/QUOTE]

She had an obligation to not have the guide out where a customer could pick it up and try and buy it. At my usual GS, they regularly comb the shelves and pull all the pennied stuff to behind the counter, away from the customers. She fucked up, the customer deserves the guide.

I wouldn't have let her take it out of my hands, flipped her a nickel and told her to keep the change.

[quote name='Brian9824']FYI Rogue Galaxy guide isn't on bestbuy's site. If anyone happens to go by take a peek[/quote]

Still $9.99 in store. :cry: Checked it today at lunch.

Are you aware that video games are a bigger business than MOVIES? These companies screw with the relationships with publishers and they're out HUGE SUMS OF MONEY. I love how everyone on this site is so literally cheap that they actually begrudge businesses who try and make a profit. Wow. Grow up.[/quote]

Yeah, but...there's a difference between politely denying the sale and being an ass about it. Like a local Gamestop manager who grabbed penny guides out of my hands one day. And I mean literally grabbed the guides, as in walked up to me and jerked them out of my hands then said "You can't buy these." Now understand this dude is a squat little turkey (and a condescending prick), and I go about 6'-4"/280. Let's just say certain thoughts popped into my head that I didnt act on. The strangest thing was these guides had been pennied for around two weeks yet were still on the shelf. Asswipe walks in from his lunch break and immediately recognizes the guides, and it's suddenly Priority 1 to get those guides away from me. Hmmm...he wouldnt possibly have wanted those for himself, would he? Nahhhh. :roll:

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']Yeah, but...there's a difference between politely denying the sale and being an ass about it. Like a local Gamestop manager who grabbed penny guides out of my hands one day. And I mean literally grabbed the guides, as in walked up to me and jerked them out of my hands then said "You can't buy these." Now understand this dude is a squat little turkey (and a condescending prick), and I go about 6'-4"/280. Let's just say certain thoughts popped into my head that I didnt act on. The strangest thing was these guides had been pennied for around two weeks yet were still on the shelf. Asswipe walks in from his lunch break and immediately recognizes the guides, and it's suddenly Priority 1 to get those guides away from me. Hmmm...he wouldnt possibly have wanted those for himself, would he? Nahhhh. :roll:[/quote]

See, now had that manager been doing his job right, there wouldn't have been any guides that pennied on the shelves. Many of the GS stores in my area don't even have the guides out anymore and the clerks are trained to look stuff up in the system before bringing it out anymore, which would prevent them scanning the guides and me plunking the money down to try and buy them before they realize that they're pennied.

With the notable exception of ONE of the two local TRU stores(but only if I go there at night), most of my penny guide sources here have dried up to a trickle. How some still get multiples is beyond me, since I really thought BB corporate put out a mandate about not selling them a while back.

Only area of the country where I've seen guides actually MARKED at .01 and grabbing them is actually allowed and encouraged by that practice is North Jersey closer to the Meadowlands area. I was out there for work about 3-6 months ago and saw just STACKS of guides in a couple BB stores with shelf labels and stickers on the guides marked .01.

Othergames, no store worker has the right to PHYSICALLY take something from a customer. The most she can do is refuse the sale, and if the customer "flicks her a nickel," tough luck for her. I honestly don't give a flying "shaq-fu" if the company is reimbursed on the guides, they make enough as it is.

Also, I don't recall asking for a hugeass explanation.

I listened to the explanation of what happens to the guides once they 'penny' from one particular BB employee, who talks with me at length whenever I stop in(usually only when the drops happen lol) and it was very informative.

However, I'm still wondering WHY many guides are now in the range of $17.99 to $19.99, with 'deluxe' editions costing $25-$30 or MORE, especially when the bulk of this info is readily available on SO MANY sites.

It makes NO sense to me, to charge SO MUCH for something that is available for free on the net most times within a week or so of a game releasing.

Either way, the manager actually took the guide from the cashiers hand, not mine, maybe I didn't clarify that. The cashier was baffled by the price and called over the manager, who proceeded to take it from her, then go back to the guide section and find a shrinkwrapped one and bring that up to scan.

Needless to say, I DID walk out after that bs, but had it been the usual male manager who I talked to at length one day, he would have allowed it since it 'was on the shelf'.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']Othergames, no store worker has the right to PHYSICALLY take something from a customer. The most she can do is refuse the sale, and if the customer "flicks her a nickel," tough luck for her. I honestly don't give a flying "shaq-fu" if the company is reimbursed on the guides, they make enough as it is.

Also, I don't recall asking for a hugeass explanation.[/quote]

NOT tough luck for her, actually. You are NOT allowed to simply toss money down and assume you may walk out of the store. The store can deny a sale for any reason that isn't some form of customer discrimination. You can debate whether she's allowed to take something out of someone's hands, you can debate whether her customer skills need help. You CANNOT debate that the customer is somehow allowed to buy an item simply because the cash register rings up a certain price. That's simply not true.

Finally, I don't care what kind of explanation you did or did not want. Next time you don't want a long explanation, say that. Until then, expect the internet.

[quote name='othergames']NOT tough luck for her, actually. You are NOT allowed to simply toss money down and assume you may walk out of the store. The store can deny a sale for any reason that isn't some form of customer discrimination. You can debate whether she's allowed to take something out of someone's hands, you can debate whether her customer skills need help. You CANNOT debate that the customer is somehow allowed to buy an item simply because the cash register rings up a certain price. That's simply not true.

Finally, I don't care what kind of explanation you did or did not want. Next time you don't want a long explanation, say that. Until then, expect the internet.[/quote]

It's rude for anybody - whether you are a child, adult, or a businessman to grab anything out of anybody's hands when you simply wanted to have the merchandise scanned to pay for it.

Also, it cracks me up that these guides sit there and take up shelf space because they are so expensive and nobody buys them. And then when they get marked down, people get mad because cheap asses want to buy them when they are "clearanced".

This is a cheap ass site... most everybody looks for deals... including "clearanced" merchandise. So, what is the big deal? I bet if I snatched something out of your hands and denied the sale to you no matter what price it was, you would be upset. Just my 2 cents.

[quote name='othergames']NOT tough luck for her, actually. You are NOT allowed to simply toss money down and assume you may walk out of the store. The store can deny a sale for any reason that isn't some form of customer discrimination. You can debate whether she's allowed to take something out of someone's hands, you can debate whether her customer skills need help. You CANNOT debate that the customer is somehow allowed to buy an item simply because the cash register rings up a certain price. That's simply not true.

Finally, I don't care what kind of explanation you did or did not want. Next time you don't want a long explanation, say that. Until then, expect the internet.[/quote]

Actually, in some states(though not here in my home state of Pennsylvania), there are laws on the books that say that if something rings up as a price error, they have to honor it I believe. Of course, soon as you leave the store with your price error item, I'm sure they'll yank the rest to the back till they figure out the error.

Hell, back when BB had a little known about $10 off sale on Prima's game guides a while back, one BB store denied me getting guides which were ringing up as .00 instead of .01. I complained to BB and because I worded it nicely and didn't be a major jerk about it, they sent me a $20 gift card for my time and trouble.

Even funnier was that one out of two stores denied me locally, while the other one said 'if that's what they're ringing up, then so be it' and let me walk out the door with about 5-10 guides for .00.

It really depends on the manager from my personal experience, since some apparently know that if the stock is still on the floor when it's not supposed to be, it's just good customer service to let said item go for that price because it was THEIR error for leaving the items on the floor.

And, as I've said before, the BB's in some parts of Northern NJ tend to sticker guides coming up as .01 @ that price and sell them till sold out, so not everyone thinks watching money go 'walking out the door' is wrong.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']See, now had that manager been doing his job right, there wouldn't have been any guides that pennied on the shelves. [/quote]

I suspect he thinks part of his job is to save up the penny guides for himself, otherwise he wouldnt have immediately recognized them while leaving them on the shelf for so long. The biggest bummer was one of the guides happened to be Resident Evil Archives, which I really wanted to check out. Oh well.

my 2 cents: i used to work for retail, a clothing store actually. one of the things we've gone through for the orientations is defective merchandise. we were specificly told that by any means that you cannot physically take the merchandise from the customers hand. it is very rude and could sometimes result to a verbal. do a little experiment, try grabbing the laser scanner and say "you cant scan that", see what type of reaction you'll get. anyways...

i grabbed 2 guides today at the westchester ave GS in the bronx. they had shadow hearts and radiata stories. i was forced to pre order like 3 games to get the guides. i was thinking i could always cancel the pre-order, even the GS employee said i could later if i changed my mind. has anyone ever had problems cancelling pre-orders? do i have to go back to the same store to cancel it?

Yeah, unfortunately GS didn't make pre orders transferrable to other stores, so you'll have to trudge back to that store in particular to cancel them. Hell, I still have a God Of War II and a Transformers for PS2 PO pending at two different stores in two FAR off areas I happened to be working that week.

I only did either because the clerks were cool and allowed me to grab some decent pennied guides for the single PO from each store.

Some of the ones I got, which disappeared quick from my list due to friends mainly: Grandia III, Disgaea 2, Drakengard 2

I SO want to go back and cancel both PO's, but the funny part is I received NO phone calls about them(I guess ya have to fully pay off a PO before ya get a call anymore, huh?), so I wonder if my $$$ was purged from their system. Plus, both stores are 50+ miles from my house and I figured by now that my work would've sent me back to both of those areas, but no go. I'm not about to waste my OWN gas to go back for $5 from each place.

Ahhh well....I got some good guides out of the deal anyway....

i did preorder some good games though, but the problem is that i would really never even imagine to get them at launch. i was gonna pre-order persona 3, but guess what, they dont even have it on the system! what a crock of sh!t! im glad that i did though at game crazy.

[quote name='phear3d']my 2 cents: i used to work for retail, a clothing store actually. one of the things we've gone through for the orientations is defective merchandise. we were specificly told that by any means that you cannot physically take the merchandise from the customers hand. it is very rude and could sometimes result to a verbal. do a little experiment, try grabbing the laser scanner and say "you cant scan that", see what type of reaction you'll get. anyways...

i grabbed 2 guides today at the westchester ave GS in the bronx. they had shadow hearts and radiata stories. i was forced to pre order like 3 games to get the guides. i was thinking i could always cancel the pre-order, even the GS employee said i could later if i changed my mind. has anyone ever had problems cancelling pre-orders? do i have to go back to the same store to cancel it?[/quote]

i have had trouble trying to cancel pre-orders, everytime i try they are like you can put that towards another pre-order, or they reply that they will get into trouble or get a negative marks for getting canceld pre-orders

[quote name='boyboy1080']i have had trouble trying to cancel pre-orders, everytime i try they are like you can put that towards another pre-order, or they reply that they will get into trouble or get a negative marks for getting canceld pre-orders[/QUOTE]
cancel it after the game is out

I guess you could keep pushing the balance towards another game until you put it on a game you actually wanted. After a few penny guide markdown cycles, you might have enough to cover the entire cost.

Consider it EB/GS's Penny Guide Rewards Program.

[quote name='boyboy1080']i have had trouble trying to cancel pre-orders, everytime i try they are like you can put that towards another pre-order, or they reply that they will get into trouble or get a negative marks for getting canceld pre-orders[/quote]

That's THEIR problem. Don't let them bully you.

[quote name='phear3d']the merchandise from the customers hand. [/quote]This is the key here. They have no legal right to take something from you physically. If this were to happen, I would definately be making a call to the corporate line immediately (as in RIGHT in the store), and letting them know that I was about to contact the local police about store personnel physically contacting me.

That's a HUGE no-no.

hey i went to gamespot and found the
  • Neverwinter Nights 2 World Builder Guide
It had a 19:99$ price tag i asked him to scan and see if that price is still correct and he did it and he said yes. Well on the penny list in wiki it says it is only a 1penny since
>>>Dropped on 5.1.07

[quote name='pktigerpl']hey i went to gamespot and found the
  • Neverwinter Nights 2 World Builder Guide
It had a 19:99$ price tag i asked him to scan and see if that price is still correct and he did it and he said yes. Well on the penny list in wiki it says it is only a 1penny since
>>>Dropped on 5.1.07

No worries. I double checked this afternoon for you. NWN2 World Builder Guide for 1¢. Picked it up. Danny (assistant manager) even paid for it. :lol:

Yes you right so i went back to a diffrent one and i found socom U.S. Navy Season combined assoult and superman returns which both are for 1 penny. I Grabbed 2 compies of socom one for me one for my friend and 1 copy of superman returns. I went to register with the guides and the guy seemed to be on the phone and ignore me. I made a mistake and all i brought was my credit card and the total was 3 pennies. He asked me if i want to reserve something and i said no i'm good. Than he went on started saying some bs how if you don't preorder your games now you won't be able to get them and i told him niclly no thanks. Than he goes on and says"common i'm doing you a favor selling these so you do me a favor and preorder something." That is complete bs because he is not doing me any favor, the item is on clearance and i'm just buying it i don't need a favor from him. Then he complains about me having only the credit card. He just told me to go and gave me the guides for free. He was the biggest faget ever i just wanted to buy the guides. I think i should complain about the store. I have a right to buy what i want. I might not visit that gamespot ever again. Luckly there are 3 more aorund my area :0

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back