Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible Best Buy drops coming:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue/Red Rescue Team - Prima
Pokemon Ranger - Prima
Rogue Galaxy
You & Wii

out of all drops, I always seem to have very good luck at TRU while BB has the best guides, but none ever available... am I alone on this?

and I feel stupid since I've been wanting Animal Crossing DS guides for forever and they are finally pennied at TRU a couple weeks ago >_< hope they are still there... will check tommorow.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']out of all drops, I always seem to have very good luck at TRU while BB has the best guides, but none ever available... am I alone on this?[/quote]
I have the opposite. With the sole exception of finding a Halo 2 guide at one of the more ghetto TRUs around atlanta, I have never found a penny guide. At the stores around here, they get pulled right away.

[quote name='guinaevere']I have the opposite. With the sole exception of finding a Halo 2 guide at one of the more ghetto TRUs around atlanta, I have never found a penny guide. At the stores around here, they get pulled right away.[/QUOTE]
same here. Aside from the Halo2 drop at TRU, they either pulled the guide or refused to sell it.

Man I'd love to get an Animal Crossing guide and a Metroid Prime Hunters guide. Too bad my TRU has a poor selection of guides.

[quote name='chunga']Man I'd love to get an Animal Crossing guide and a Metroid Prime Hunters guide. Too bad my TRU has a poor selection of guides.[/quote]

Dude i have a few Metroid Prime Hunters...i'd trade ya one..

Don't everybody get all worked up just yet. Without confirmation (preferably from Vahn) this is nothing but speculation at this point.

[quote name='neocisco']Don't everybody get all worked up just yet. Without confirmation (preferably from Vahn) this is nothing but speculation at this point.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. One or two people mentioned a guide or 2 has dropped in price/off the website, and it's on the verge of becoming an out-of-control thread again. I wish people wouldn't come on here and get stuff started up. Let's wait to hear from Vahn for confirmation before this thread explodes like the last....

[quote name='neocisco']Nicely organized OP[/quote]Thanks. Shrike's been suggesting a new thread for a while and I finally stopped being lazy and tried to make one to do floormat's earlier thread credit.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']I wish people wouldn't come on here and get stuff started up. Let's wait to hear from Vahn for confirmation before this thread explodes like the last....[/quote]Sorry for that. I had a clear idea of what the original OP should have, and I thought post 2 could list drops within the past 30 days. Other than that, it seemed a logical place to note any potential upcoming drops for the first post after the OP and Post 2. =\

[quote name='guinaevere']
Sorry for that. I had a clear idea of what the original OP should have, and I thought post 2 could list drops within the past 30 days. Other than that, it seemed a logical place to note any potential upcoming drops for the first post after the OP and Post 2. =\[/QUOTE]

Sorry, Guin. I wasn't referring to you. I thought a new thread was needed, because the old one was too big. I just was referring to the 1 or 2 (can't remember exactly, only that it wasn't you ;)) people who brought up guides that weren't on the site and started the potential deluge of posts. I didn't want to list anybody specifically and get into a flame war, but when people's speculation and conjecture get touted on here, everybody's minds and imagination start to run rampant, thus leading to many subsequent posts.

Sorry for the confusion. You know I wouldn't dog my fellow ATL CAG!! ;)

One word of advice that probably has been talked about already, but I'll go over:

for BB, the best way to handle it is have the cashier ring it up.

if they don't flinch or react (or bat an eye), then don't say a thing.

if you notice anything, just explain the details of how/why guides are pennied, that your part of a community, etc... BUT! only explain parts of that...

mention why... then shut up. if they ask or need more info... tell them who... stop. if they need more info... explain... etc.

if all else fails and you are forced to talk to the manager, explain everything (don't lie!). I hear of most CAGs stopping at having to talk to managers. Don't stop there... if you have a chance to talk to a manager, your chances of getting the deal are still very good.

lastly, and I hope I don't sound sexist or whatever, because I'm not, make it a point to recognize the cashiers. #1 always go for the young girl cashiers as they are usually more willing to give you a deal than a guy.

I know everyone pretty much should know this easily... just thought it would be good if someone said it (though it's probably been said before already)

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Sorry for the confusion. You know I wouldn't dog my fellow ATL CAG!! ;)[/quote]No worries. And you know me, if I do sumpin stoopid, I expect my friends to correct me.
blush.gif

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']lastly, and I hope I don't sound sexist or whatever, because I'm not, make it a point to recognize the cashiers. #1 always go for the young girl cashiers as they are usually more willing to give you a deal than a guy. [/quote] The young girl cashiers don't always help me out. I'm good with old ladies and guys of any age. Wonder why that is... ;)

Good stuff, Rolento. I'll see if I can work that into the OP in a sensible way, because that is great suggestion to at least touch on this. I just don't want to overload the OP so that people skip right over it without reading the relevent info.

I always have the worst experience with the young girls. They always call a manger over to make sure it is ok. On the other hand the guys always try to pretend he knows what he is doing.

[quote name='guinaevere']
The young girl cashiers don't always help me out. I'm good with old ladies and guys of any age. Wonder why that is... ;)

Good stuff, Rolento. I'll see if I can work that into the OP in a sensible way, because that is great suggestion to at least touch on this. I just don't want to overload the OP so that people skip right over it without reading the relevent info.[/QUOTE]

I would have written it out a little more formal, but today was a long day and I just wanted to say something... >_<

if anything, before you go up to a cashier, just look at who seems most friendly... friendlier cashiers are more likely to pass your deal than someone either passive or quiet (don't know why, but with my experience it's been true).

Maybe there should be a FAQ in the Wiki on general deal shopping tips. I think that would be a major plus for new and old CAGs.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I would have written it out a little more formal, but today was a long day and I just wanted to say something... >_<

if anything, before you go up to a cashier, just look at who seems most friendly... friendlier cashiers are more likely to pass your deal than someone either passive or quiet (don't know why, but with my experience it's been true).

Maybe there should be a FAQ in the Wiki on general deal shopping tips. I think that would be a major plus for new and old CAGs.[/quote]

See, that's the thing though, I've almost always had my best and easiest guide buying experiences with the girl cashiers who are looking around and generally acting like they don't want to be there. Of course, the female managers are another story altogether, as one of them stonewalled me about 2-3 months ago when I tried buying dupes of many guides at once.

On the other hand though, when I hit the one BB which was good for having MANY drop guides still in stock long after the drops happened, I was even commended by the one manager for my 'find'. Of course, I used to just go into BB and be rushing around like I had someplace else to be, but now I DO scout out the cashiers and it has paid off most times.

Oh and Guin, since I know its for a game people want the guide for, please add the Devil Summoner guide to the 'reduced' list in the OP:

$4.99 @ Gamestop(in the event your GS's are as bad as mine about getting guides from):

Shin Megami: Devil Summoner

Great job on the new thread, btw, as the old one WAS getting clogged with trade posts again.

Wow thanks gwen. I am glad to see someone who has offered so much and actually has some time to dedicate to this thread to take it over. i'll continue to offer what I can when I can. Again Thanks.

MY experience has been that I usually end up with girl checkers anyway, not sure if it's subconciously intentional (if that makes any sense). They usually have no idea what's happening with DVD's and games, so it makes it easier to get by with stuff (although I'll admit most stuff is legit sales in the ad). I just remember one girl remarking that Titanic 3 Disc was a great deal at $7.50, and I wondered how anyone working there wouldn't read the ads, but then I love movies.
This also made me think back to when I bought some FFXII art guides for 1 cent each, and they were labeled that way too; made me wonder if saying you think any 1 cent guides you are buying are dropped to a penny, maybe they woun't be inclined to react to the price when scanning? Seems if you say it casually, it might just work out okay...

I always go for the young female cashiers and usually start out by saying "promise not to laugh", when they see the price I usually just mention the are clearanced out because they aren't selling and they need the room on the shelves.

Completely true and they typically understand. I've only had a manager called on me once with an older cashier and the MANAGER told her to sell em to me.

I can't get guides at a gamestop within 100 miles but I love my bestbuy.

At BB, I always go to the young female cashiers, too, if possible. If the cashier has any reservations, I strike an idle conversation about anything and I get the guides for a few Lincolns.

It's the teen/young adult males that always deny me or think that something's wrong, or they scan a penny guide repeatedly, drawing the attention of a wandering manager.

GS/EB are total hit or mess, but I'm finding less of a reason to stop there each time I visit. My EDGE card is expiring this month, so I figured I'd drop five bones on a new one...but the new MORE card post-merger is $15! And it comes with a subscription to Game Informer that I don't need. But back to guides, when I do find some penny guides at those stores, I either strike out big time or score a cache (6+ guides).

Good job, gwen, on the new thread! :cool:

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Sorry, Guin. I wasn't referring to you. I thought a new thread was needed, because the old one was too big. I just was referring to the 1 or 2 (can't remember exactly, only that it wasn't you ;)) people who brought up guides that weren't on the site and started the potential deluge of posts. I didn't want to list anybody specifically and get into a flame war, but when people's speculation and conjecture get touted on here, everybody's minds and imagination start to run rampant, thus leading to many subsequent posts.

Sorry for the confusion. You know I wouldn't dog my fellow ATL CAG!! ;)[/quote]Don't worry, this thread has survived for at least the year I've been following it based on speculation of drops, since we haven't had any BB contributors until recently.

Given BB's policy of pulling the guides when they drop to a penny, I think that speculation of drops is pretty important, so CAGs can get those guides hidden.

[quote name='prayformojo']Given BB's policy of pulling the guides when they drop to a penny, I think that speculation of drops is pretty important, so CAGs can get those guides hidden.[/quote]

There really isnt a policy of that though. Except for last drop they never pull guides at any stores around here and most people have had similar experiences.

[quote name='Brian9824']There really isnt a policy of that though. Except for last drop they never pull guides at any stores around here and most people have had similar experiences.[/quote]

Very true. Last month was the first time we had seen an across-the-board pull at BB before. I don't expect it to last very long. There's always something dancing across the nose of corporate that will grab their attention and they'll move on to the next "important" thing. Everybody just play it :cool: and it will most likely work itself out.

[quote name='Brian9824']There really isnt a policy of that though. Except for last drop they never pull guides at any stores around here and most people have had similar experiences.[/QUOTE]

Well, maybe in Florida. Out here they have been pulling guides religiously for nearly a year now. I managed to snag a few at the newest Best Buy in the area the very first day of the last drop. This last drop was the first time I hadn't seen every single dropped guide pulled instantly (and still the other 2 stores did pull them all - at one the guy told me they just pulled them Monday AM before the store opened). I really think the only reason I found the ones I did was that they simply missed a few at that store (as I only found 3 of them).

About a year ago or so I could waltz into any of the BB's around here and still find leftover guides from multiple previous drops. That all changed though...

Usually, it depends on who's running the media/games department. Lazy employees or busy employees can make all the difference. Also depends on who's the ops manager at the store.

[quote name='shrike4242']Usually, it depends on who's running the media/games department. Lazy employees or busy employees can make all the difference. Also depends on who's the ops manager at the store.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, plus it can always change from month to month (for the same reasons you mention). That's why, with the particularly juicy drop we had last time, I decided to venture out for the first time in a while. As I expected, most had been pullled, but I did get lucky and find one of my top wants (KH II) so it was well worth it. But my damn BB's are too on top of things. The closest one to me had already repriced all the clearance stuff the morning that sale started (thus guaranteeing that nothing would last for very long). And this is the one that pulled all the guides before opening as well. The one that is furthest away was lax on both accounts so there is definitely an employee and/or management issue there, and it worked to my advantage (somewhat - it wasn't a goldmine in either case ;)).

Speaking of who's running what and how well stores enforce the penny pull policy... I have sad news.

My amazing EB of wonder has been hijacked by their new DM (a DM who's been around the atlanta area for a while but she's only had my local store for a couple months now). She's come down hard on the stores and is enforcing corporate policy of all penny guides being pulled immediately and all guides being tossed. Any employees who help themselves or others to one or more will be dealt with blah blah blah.

I ask for a moment of silence for this devastating news. Because a part of me died when I heard this, and I'm gonna need some support to pull me through this grieving period.

[quote name='guinaevere']Speaking of who's running what and how well stores enforce the penny pull policy... I have sad news.

My amazing EB of wonder has been hijacked by their new DM (a DM who's been around the atlanta area for a while but she's only had my local store for a couple months now). She's come down hard on the stores and is enforcing corporate policy of all penny guides being pulled immediately and all guides being tossed. Any employees who help themselves or others to one or more will be dealt with blah blah blah.

I ask for a moment of silence for this devastating news. Because a part of me died when I heard this, and I'm gonna need some support to pull me through this grieving period.[/quote]

That sounds alot like my one time 'gold mine' EB Guin, as their DM suddenly came down real hard on all of his stores and for a while I was allowed to still get the guides, but they had to mangle them by ripping the front cover off them first. Although, just before he cracked down, my one friend was able to go in and get some guides for me under the guise of her being a mere regular customer.

However, many of his stores have now been ordered to remove ALL guides from the sales floor, save those few near the registers. So, now it's not just guide hunters who can't grab the guides, it's everyone.

Anyway, I grieve with you over this sudden and shocking loss....

Kudos on the new thread! and kudos to folks like guinaevere and vahn who keep it going strong.

quick question: I know BB pennies out their guides on the first Monday of the month, but do they do this every single month or only every once and awhile?

roc's feather;2768587 said:
Kudos on the new thread! and kudos to folks like guinaevere and vahn who keep it going strong.

quick question: I know BB pennies out their guides on the first Monday of the month, but do they do this every single month or only every once and awhile?
I think it's every once & a while, like 4 times a year.

So when I was out at Best Buy to get Castlevania DoS, Chromehounds, and some free PS2 games (after coupon) I decided I'd hide a Lego Star Wars II in case it drops. I found all of one copy amongst 3 Best Buys. The amazing thing was that at the one store where I managed to find some of the last drops a few weeks back, they had RESTOCKED some of those guides. I picked up Enchanted Arms, Saint's Row (up for trade), and Yoshi's Island! I couldn't believe it as both Enchanted Arms and Yoshi's Island weren't out when I went in that Monday. Wow, what a nice surprise - particularly nice since this Best Buy is quite a distance away. I was also able to get Gun for the 360 there for $15 (after coupon).

To top it all off I found a great Target that has the Wii games on clearance with NO indication that they are, in fact, on clearance. I haven't seen that for a while. So I will definitely be heading out there next week to see if things hit 75%.

Yeah when I went out today to pick up Castlevania DoS I checked the guide racks again (hid 3 of the suspected guides to drop). I found a Dead Rising guide just sitting there. So I guess they too restocked. It wasn't there on the day of the drop.

It's up for trade if anyone's interested.

I'll swing by tommorow probably to check if my BB restocked. I'm guessing they might have since on monday they put out LSW II guides that were never there before... >_

When it comes to the guide pull, I know alot of stores in my area, whoever opens that day gets a message saying they have to pull them the mornings they drop, thus the reason why alot of people can't find them. From there, the guides are supposed to be given to a certain manager who works with inventory who is supposed to field destroy the guides. In alot of circumstances the guides get pulled to the warehouse, but are never followed through with the destroying process, thus you see the guides get restocked onto the floor. Some once-a-week part-timer comes in and just does his media job of restocking anything he can from the warehouse to the floor, including our penny guides. Best Buy doesn't physically receive guides after they drop though for anyone that was wondering.

Or the guides could have been misplaced in the back and were found and put back on the shelf. I've had lots of old stuff pop up that way. Your moving inventory around stuff gets knocked behind a shelf and you find it a month later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back